PDA

View Full Version : Misc Any dart players here?

RNR
05-29-2010, 11:06 AM
I had friends that played soft tip darts and started playing. I played quite a bit but never took it serious. I sent my son a couple steel tip boards and he and the other troops loved to play. Whenever they were not running missions and were at the FOB they would play for hours. He got better than me and would kick my ass when home on leave. Well I hung a steel tip board up in the basement a few weeks back and have some time on my hands. I have been playing a lot. Anybody got any tips on how to improve? I throw an 18 gram soft tip but moved up to a 23 gram steel tip. I throw for a couple hours a night but am struggling to stay consistent and will streak with several good rounds and then start missing :doh!:

Bane
05-29-2010, 11:08 AM
I only throw darts when I'm drinking an I suck something awful at it.

RNR
05-29-2010, 11:12 AM

LMAO thanks that cheers me up...sort of...I think~

CoMoChief
05-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Steel tip only. heavier and more accurate. Not to mention the damn things actually stick to the fucking board.

Plastic tips suck.....

RNR
05-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Steel tip only. heavier and more accurate. Not to mention the damn things actually stick to the ****ing board.

Plastic tips suck.....

I don't throw soft tip much anymore. I bought a dart machine like you see in the clubs and gave it to my son for his sports room~

WhitiE
05-29-2010, 11:25 AM

dont freakin lie dude.... you always suck

WhitiE
05-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Steel tip only. heavier and more accurate. Not to mention the damn things actually stick to the ****ing board.

Plastic tips suck.....

yup yup yup

Bane
05-29-2010, 11:29 AM
dont freakin lie dude.... you always suck

:crybaby:

I'm taking my ball and going home.:sulk:

WhitiE
05-29-2010, 11:30 AM
:crybaby:

I'm taking my ball and going home.:sulk:

take your shitty plastic tipped darts with you

Bane
05-29-2010, 11:31 AM
take your shitty plastic tipped darts with you

ROFL

You can keep them cause when I'm done there are no tips left.

WhitiE
05-29-2010, 11:35 AM
ROFL

You can keep them cause when I'm done there are no tips left.

thats when you draw a dartboard on the wall

GoHuge
05-29-2010, 12:10 PM
I use to play in a tournament every week about 10 years ago. Cricket is the only game I play and think it's the only way to seperate good players from lucky ones. When I bought my dart set I just tried out a few and when I found the ones that felt the best I got them. Don't remember what size they were, but they were much heavier than house darts. I had a steel tip board to practice on at home, but almost every tournament I've played in uses soft-tip on an electric board. All I can recommend is practice, practice, practice. When I started using the heavier darts I got much better for whatever reason. That and I started practicing playing cricket and not just constantly trying to hit the bulls eye. After a few weeks of practice like that and I was 3 times better.

Hope this helps, but if it doesn't go by the bookstore and pick up "hand to eye coordination for dummies." Give that a whirl.

If you need something to inspire you go draw some labial folds around the bulls eye, hang a little clit ring at the top, and use your imagination. If that doesn't work then give up trying. It just aint your game.

RNR
05-29-2010, 12:21 PM
I use to play in a tournament every week about 10 years ago. Cricket is the only game I play and think it's the only way to seperate good players from lucky ones. When I bought my dart set I just tried out a few and when I found the ones that felt the best I got them. Don't remember what size they were, but they were much heavier than house darts. I had a steel tip board to practice on at home, but almost every tournament I've played in uses soft-tip on an electric board. All I can recommend is practice, practice, practice. When I started using the heavier darts I got much better for whatever reason. That and I started practicing playing cricket and not just constantly trying to hit the bulls eye. After a few weeks of practice like that and I was 3 times better.

Hope this helps, but if it doesn't go by the bookstore and pick up "hand to eye coordination for dummies." Give that a whirl.

If you need something to inspire you go draw some labial folds around the bulls eye, hang a little clit ring at the top, and use your imagination. If that doesn't work then give up trying. It just aint your game.

I throw a lot of cricket and also play half it which is 15, 16, doubles, 17, 18, triples, 19, 20, and 3 bulls. You have to hit one to save the 40 points you start with and score after the first hit. You half your points with a turtle. I also throw a butt load of 20s as 301 and 501 are a part of it and unlike soft tip you split the bull and the target is 40% smaller so 20 is the best way to score in steel tip~

RNR
06-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Well last night I threw with some of the better local players. Some of them compete all over. The main guy has been ranked as high as 16th in the United States. Anyway a friend of his was in town last night as they were leaving today for the Houston Open. I had a chance to play with the number one ranked steel tip player in the United States. He at one time was ranked number one in the world. He has played with and competed with Phil Taylor who is considered the greatest dart player ever. We played some round robin 501 double out. Well needless to say I did not have to worry about the double out as I was slaughtered and never saw one. It was really fun to throw with those guys and it is amazing how good they are. The guys name is Steve Brown and he is from England but lives in the ststes now. A really great guy~

The Mad Crapper
06-10-2010, 05:19 PM
I like playing darts.

But no butt darts.

phisherman
06-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Was Steve Brown with a tall thin red-headed guy named Connelly?

I used to work with that guy at Garmin; he was a f**king baller dart thrower.

RNR
06-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Was Steve Brown with a tall thin red-headed guy named Connelly?

I used to work with that guy at Garmin; he was a f**king baller dart thrower.

No he was just in town to go with a local player to the Houston Open. He has a website. A real nice guy and man that guy can toss some darts!

Saulbadguy
06-10-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm thinking the poster "Dartgod" might be fairly proficient at darts. I can't recall why I think that, though.

RNR
06-10-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm thinking the poster "Dartgod" might be fairly proficient at darts. I can't recall why I think that, though.

I know he plays, but I have not seen him around for quite a while. Met him once good guy~

38yrsfan
06-11-2010, 01:29 PM
I throw in leagues usually 3 nights a weeks, steel and soft - 18gm. I agree with this - practice, practice, practice.

My cricket practice routine is to close all the numbers except Bulls, score 1000 points on the closed numbers and then close the Bulls. I gauge myself by how many rounds it takes to do that. It's great practice for the triples and motiviating and interesting enough while trying to beat your previous best.

My ranking isn't anything to make lots of money on but I make enough to pay for entry fees, alcohol and dart supplies. Threw a 301, 6 dart out a few nights ago, that was fun.

Darts is pretty popular here - you can play almost any night you want, handicap or straight up, league games or non-sanctioned.

06-12-2010, 04:41 AM
I used to love to play but there was nobody to throw against so I stopped. Still have my board and darts downstairs if I ever get the itch again though.

Smed1065
06-12-2010, 04:45 AM
Steel tip only. heavier and more accurate. Not to mention the damn things actually stick to the fucking board.

Plastic tips suck.....

I am a dart player and heavier, more accurate is BS. It depends on the person. 18 is great for me but it varies. como is an idiot with this this statement.

Yeah I know its news.

06-12-2010, 04:47 AM
I am a dart player and heavier, more accurate is BS. It depends on the person. 18 is great for me but it varies. como is an idiot with this this statement.

Yeah I know its news.He obviously doesn't know that you can buy shafts that make up for the lost weight of the tip.

Smed1065
06-12-2010, 04:50 AM
He obviously doesn't know that you can buy shafts that make up for the lost weight of the tip.

True~

RNR
06-12-2010, 10:13 AM

I just talked to him and he knows a guy I throw with and the British fella I met the other night.

RJ
06-12-2010, 10:31 AM
I played a lot of darts - leagues and tournaments and such - many years ago but it was a different game than the British version. The game was called "baseball". Different board layout and lighter, balsa wood darts. Very popular in parts of Maryland and Pennsylvania, or at least it was back then, but I've never seen it played elsewhere.

Anyone familiar with that game?

RNR
06-12-2010, 10:42 AM
I played a lot of darts - leagues and tournaments and such - many years ago but it was a different game than the British version. The game was called "baseball". Different board layout and lighter, balsa wood darts. Very popular in parts of Maryland and Pennsylvania, or at least it was back then, but I've never seen it played elsewhere.

Years ago a buddy of mine had a cheap dart board with the plastic darts. On on side was a standard layout and on the other side there was a baseball game. The balsa wood darts throw me off I have never heard of those. I paid little attention to darts when younger and recall little about the baseball game on the other side of his dart board. Now that I am an old fart I enjoy darts as I am too old for sports :)

RJ
06-12-2010, 10:56 AM
The balsa darts a very light compared to the British darts with the weighted tips. In baseball, you shoot "innings" 1-9. The smallest white area is worth 3 points, the red is 2 points and the larger white wedge is worth 1. The bullseye isn't used. You shoot 3 darts in a turn. A perfect game, obviously, would be 81 points. The best I've seen was high 60's, my best ever was low 60's. A really great player would maintain an average in the 50's. I usually averaged in the 40's, good enough to play on very competitive teams but not in the upper echelon.

Because the darts are light it involves a lot of finesse - trying to kiss off a dart or darts you have already thrown but without knocking them out.

It was a very popular bar game.

For some reason I was really good at darts and pool. Bar tables mostly. I wonder if all the time I spent in bars had anything to do with that? :hmmm:

http://i48.tinypic.com/10si5iq.jpg

redsurfer11
06-12-2010, 11:53 AM

Baseball is played on an AMERICAN Dart Board (WIDDY), common in most of the Northeast. Play 6-9 innings. Runs were scored by a 3,2 or a 1.Most league games require that you at least score 4-5 points in an inning to register a score. Teams would require a score of 7-9 points to register a score. Darts are not made of balsa. Winner would walk away with a beer from each loser.

CoMoChief
06-12-2010, 12:15 PM

Yeah I know its news.

ROFL way to get defensive over a conversation about darts.

RJ
06-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Baseball is played on an AMERICAN Dart Board (WIDDY), common in most of the Northeast. Play 6-9 innings. Runs were scored by a 3,2 or a 1.Most league games require that you at least score 4-5 points in an inning to register a score. Teams would require a score of 7-9 points to register a score. Darts are not made of balsa. Winner would walk away with a beer from each loser.

I always thought they were balsa, probably because I heard it repeated so many times. In truth, I wouldn't know a piece of balsa if it bit me in the ass.

I never played where 4-5 points were needed to register a score. Lots of players would seldom score at all with that rule. Team play was always fun and yes, beers or a few $$ were usually involved. The game was mainly popular in local neighborhood type bars. When the British darts started showing up it was usually in the more upscale places out in the suburbs. Us baseball D'artists looked at it as a game for preppies. Guys who played lacrosse played British darts.

Don't know if you could even find a bar with an American board these days.

These are the darts I'm speaking of.

http://i45.tinypic.com/5lnbb5.jpg

RNR
06-12-2010, 12:23 PM
I always thought they were balsa, probably because I heard it repeated so many times. In truth, I wouldn't know a piece of balsa if it bit me in the ass.

I never played where 4-5 points were needed to register a score. Lots of players would seldom score at all with that rule. Team play was always fun and yes, beers or a few $$ were usually involved. The game was mainly popular in local neighborhood type bars. When the British darts started showing up it was usually in the more upscale places out in the suburbs. Us baseball D'artists looked at it as a game for preppies. Guys who played lacrosse played British darts.

Don't know if you could even find a bar with an American board these days.

These are the darts I'm speaking of.

http://i45.tinypic.com/5lnbb5.jpg

It was the balsa wood that threw me off as it is a very soft wood and is damaged rather easy.

RNR
06-12-2010, 12:33 PM
ROFL way to get defensive over a conversation about darts.

I did not reply but I have read where world ranked players throw as light as 14 grams to as heavy as 26 grams. I have also read for new players a heavy dart is best. It seems 22 to 24 are the most popular~

RJ
06-12-2010, 12:35 PM
It was the balsa wood that threw me off as it is a very soft wood and is damaged rather easy.

Balsa is the wood the little kid's airplanes are made from, right?

Yeah, those darts are light but not that light.

RNR
06-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Balsa is the wood the little kid's airplanes are made from, right?

Yeah, those darts are light but not that light.

Yeah and also often used in the little cars they have you build in school. It is easy to carve and work with. Any type barrel made out of any type of wood would be much lighter that a steel dart~