PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Gulf Spill - Obamas damage to Louisiana will easily top BP's

thecoffeeguy
06-01-2010, 08:41 AM
http://www.redstate.com/vladimir/2010/05/31/obamas-damage-to-louisiana-will-easily-top-bps/

Obama’s Damage to Louisiana Will Easily Top BP’s

Posted by Vladimir (Profile)

Monday, May 31st at 10:47PM EDT
30 Comments

In one of the bigger ‘duh!’ headlines of the year, the Times-Picayune observes:

Offshore drilling ban could be a blow to Louisiana economy

The president and Interior Secretary Ken Salazar’s announcement late last week to halt all deepwater drilling in the Gulf of Mexico “at the first safe stopping point” while the Interior Department figures out what regulatory changes are necessary for offshore oil prospecting seemed designed to reassure the nation that drilling would only proceed in a safe and environmentally sensitive manner.

But to those who work in the offshore industry and in the communities at the epicenter of the spiraling disaster from the April 20 Deepwater Horizon rig explosion and oil leak, it smacked of a lack of understanding of the role that the oil business plays in the Louisiana economy.

In the 2008 presidential election, no coastal parishes except for Orleans supported Obama; last week’s offshore drilling announcement only seemed to make his administration even less popular in the oil-affected parishes.

Then again, maybe this is payback, Chicago-style.

Within a very short time, [LA Economic Development Secretary Stephen] Moret believes the state will lose 3,000 to 6,000 direct and indirect jobs.

If the suspensions are maintained, it could rise to 10,000 jobs. And if the moratorium persists while oil prices rise, the state could lose 20,000 jobs over the next 12 to 18 months in the form of lost direct and indirect jobs, and missed job creation opportunities because rising petroleum prices stimulate more energy development.

Since it’s unclear what’s involved with the shut-downs, it’s unclear whether companies will keep their rigs afloat in the Gulf with a skeleton crew or move them to Brazil, which is considered one of the world’s biggest deepwater drilling opportunities.

I think Mr. Moret is low-balling his estimate.

2012 cannot come soon enough.

Interesting take. If Louisiana looses that many jobs, thats pretty brutal. First Katrina, now this...ouch.

alpha_omega
06-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Obama hates black people?

King_Chief_Fan
06-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Obama hates black people?

not if they are muslim

CoMoChief
06-01-2010, 11:09 AM
There are SOOOO many offshore workers that live in the New Orleans area. I talk w/ them all the time working auto claims in that area.

But hey.....everything Obama decides to stick his finger in, turns to shit.

Chieficus
06-01-2010, 11:23 AM
The entire thing from top to bottom is going to be an economic impact in some way... If large amounts of oil starts hitting the shore elsewhere, it will impact more areas to an even greater extent economically and socially. Ruin the shorelines and the life there then you can do untold damage to the fishing jobs, tourism, and what has been people's cutural way of life for generations.

Frankly, I don't agree w/ much the Obama administration does, but shutting down off shore drilling and changing up the regulations is a needed step. It's bad enough now, imagine if something were to happen to a second rig with the same results...

Jenson71
06-01-2010, 11:23 AM
So the Obama Administration's decision to temporarily halt deepwater drilling in the Gulf of Mexico is not about the BP Oil Spill, it is really about Obama getting back at random people who came from a county that overall did not vote for him? He wants these random people to lose jobs.

Do you actually believe this, or are you joking?

alpha_omega
06-01-2010, 11:36 AM
... but shutting down off shore drilling and changing up the regulations is a needed step. ...

So, what about the other countries continuing to drill in the Gulf?

DA_T_84
06-01-2010, 11:48 AM
You know what would be the more responsible thing to do? To allow offshore drilling to continue at its current pace without identifying the causes and factors that led to the current incident; leaving the window open for a second incident to occur.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

HonestChieffan
06-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Crisis!!! Lets regulate!! Find Blame!!!

mlyonsd
06-01-2010, 12:23 PM
You'd think by this point the cause and remedy would have already been announced.

I don't get it.

DA_T_84
06-01-2010, 12:26 PM
You'd think by this point the cause and remedy would have already been announced.

I don't get it.

Lack of oversight and reduced restrictions during the last president's watch. And by last president, I mean Cheney.

mlyonsd
06-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Lack of oversight and reduced restrictions during the last president's watch. And by last president, I mean Cheney.

Ok, if that makes you feel better.

DA_T_84
06-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Well? You don't think they had free reign with very little restrictions? There was nothing in place to keep these companies accountable. And if there was, it sure as shit wasn't working.

Then a huge accident happens, and its now Obama's fault? And he wants to stop the very thing that caused it to take stock, and now that's his fault also?

What do you propose?

Dave Lane
Crisis!!! Lets regulate!! Find Blame!!!

You're right you've finally convinced me with your pithy turn of a phrase. Ecological disaster of previously unimaginable scope.

Carry on.

go bowe
Ok, if that makes you feel better.i once had a young lady ask me it that makes you feel better, and i said yep, thank you ma'am...

bandwagonjumper
06-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Honestly why should Obama care. Redneck Louisiana will vote for a republican anyway if it happened in California it would have been different.

HonestChieffan
06-01-2010, 12:35 PM
If we didn't have restrictions and oversight, oil companies would be doing these leaking wells everywhere. They get rich drilling. The oil part is not important. Its the government that makes them actually get the oil out. BP wanted this to happen from day one.

headsnap
06-01-2010, 12:37 PM
And if there was, it sure as shit wasn't working.

Then a huge accident happens, and its now Obama's fault?

yup, looks like you answered your own question...

Dave Lane
06-01-2010, 12:37 PM
If we didn't have restrictions and oversight, oil companies would be doing these leaking wells everywhere. They get rich drilling. The oil part is not important. Its the government that makes them actually get the oil out. BP wanted this to happen from day one.

Serious question. No offense or anything but are you clinically insane?

go bowe
06-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Serious question. No offense or anything but are you clinically insane?LMAO LMAO LMAO

HonestChieffan
06-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Serious question. No offense or anything but are you clinically insane?

Why do you ask? The statements reflect the attitude of the administration and about half of the left wing hand wringers. The assumption is and has been since Day 1 that BP is the evil cause of this leak. No consideration is given to asking why on earth would BP want this? No consideration given to the fact that BP would have done anything in its power to not have the leak, not have its rig burn and go down, and would do anything possible to stem the flow and fix the problem. With every passing day, BP is made out to be the most evil empire possible. Its like they should be turning a lever and it will quit.

The administration response to every issue is to find a demon. Then pass new regulations or just take over. Now, who do you expect in the administration knows how to stop a leaking oil well a mile deep? I mean they keep having meetings, press events, and such. What do they discuss? Clearly if they meet so much and have such experts they must be real live undersea drilling experts, right?

Now then, will a regulation prevent a back flow preventer from failing ever again? How many have failed up till now?

10Million bucks is all they sell for. Ever see one? http://maggiesfarm.anotherdotcom.com/uploads/blowout.bmp

Pretty impressive. So if these 10million dollar items work rather well, and we have an example of a failure, will a law make them work better? Do we assume the manufacturer really makes shoddy stuff only to meet government specs?

We are on the BP as the demon trail. What is BPs motive to have this catastrophe occur? Why would they not want to do everything within their power to not have such an event.

No, clinical insanity is not an issue. Its more frustration with government that thinks all things can be legislated, a public that cannot and will never understand in all things are risks, and that yes even businesses like BP are as desirous of a fix as anyone is.

mlyonsd
06-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Well? You don't think they had free reign with very little restrictions? There was nothing in place to keep these companies accountable. And if there was, it sure as shit wasn't working.

Then a huge accident happens, and its now Obama's fault? And he wants to stop the very thing that caused it to take stock, and now that's his fault also?

What do you propose?

Well if you want to blame Bush let's go this way......

Obama's call for expanded drilling in the Gulf before the accident without reviewing the 'lack of' regulations makes him just as culpable or at least as incompetent.

go bowe
06-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Why do you ask? The statements reflect the attitude of the administration and about half of the left wing hand wringers. The assumption is and has been since Day 1 that BP is the evil cause of this leak. No consideration is given to asking why on earth would BP want this? No consideration given to the fact that BP would have done anything in its power to not have the leak, not have its rig burn and go down, and would do anything possible to stem the flow and fix the problem. With every passing day, BP is made out to be the most evil empire possible. Its like they should be turning a lever and it will quit.

The administration response to every issue is to find a demon. Then pass new regulations or just take over. Now, who do you expect in the administration knows how to stop a leaking oil well a mile deep? I mean they keep having meetings, press events, and such. What do they discuss? Clearly if they meet so much and have such experts they must be real live undersea drilling experts, right?

Now then, will a regulation prevent a back flow preventer from failing ever again? How many have failed up till now?

10Million bucks is all they sell for. Ever see one? http://maggiesfarm.anotherdotcom.com/uploads/blowout.bmp

Pretty impressive. So if these 10million dollar items work rather well, and we have an example of a failure, will a law make them work better? Do we assume the manufacturer really makes shoddy stuff only to meet government specs?

We are on the BP as the demon trail. What is BPs motive to have this catastrophe occur? Why would they not want to do everything within their power to not have such an event.

No, clinical insanity is not an issue. Its more frustration with government that thinks all things can be legislated, a public that cannot and will never understand in all things are risks, and that yes even businesses like BP are as desirous of a fix as anyone is.there is an additional layer of protection available which bp and other oil companies have opposed:Drilling companies have opposed mandates for so-called “acoustic switches,” which cost about $500,000 and are an added line of defense in the event of a blowout. Norway and Brazil, two major oil drilling countries, require the devices, but the United States does not http://snipurl.com/wzkk0

ChiefaRoo
06-01-2010, 01:08 PM

I'll give you this if you admit that Bill Clinton's lack of leadership and Democratic weakness in the 1990's allowed 9/11 to happen.

InChiefsHell
06-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Hmmm...shit apparently DOESN'T just happen...

dirk digler
06-01-2010, 01:41 PM
No, clinical insanity is not an issue. Its more frustration with government that thinks all things can be legislated, a public that cannot and will never understand in all things are risks, and that yes even businesses like BP are as desirous of a fix as anyone is.

So BP is not at fault?

What about when their refineries that blew up in Texas and killed 15 people was it not their fault either?

Or what about their pipe line that dumped over 200,000 gallons of crude in Alaska in 2007? Not their fault either?

Of course I guess that means you have to suspend realty and forget that they paid $50 million dollars in criminal penalties and fines for the Texas incident and $16 million dollars for the Alaskan incident.

Also let's not forget $87 million dollar fine that they just paid in October for violating the law when they rebuilt the Texas plant that killed some of their employees.

I have a suggestion why don't you pull your head out of your ass and quit sucking BP's dick.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/bps-dismal-safety-record/story?id=10763042&page=1

go bowe
06-01-2010, 01:44 PM
bp has a dick?

HonestChieffan
06-01-2010, 01:49 PM
So BP is not at fault?

What about when their refineries that blew up in Texas and killed 15 people was it not their fault either?

Or what about their pipe line that dumped over 200,000 gallons of crude in Alaska in 2007? Not their fault either?

Of course I guess that means you have to suspend realty and forget that they paid $50 million dollars in criminal penalties and fines for the Texas incident and $16 million dollars for the Alaskan incident.

Also let's not forget $87 million dollar fine that they just paid in October for violating the law when they rebuilt the Texas plant that killed some of their employees.

I have a suggestion why don't you pull your head out of your ass and quit sucking BP's dick.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/bps-dismal-safety-record/story?id=10763042&page=1

Who installed the Preventer? My understanding is that it was TransOcean, not BP. If BP installed it and it had passed all tests as we are led to believe..or if TransOcean installed it, is the mechanical failure their responsibility?

The answer is yes, they or someone is responsible. But accidents happen. Accidents are usually seen as either preventable or non preventable. If in fact all tests were done and passed and installation was correct then its a non preventable accident. that does not remove responsibility but it does show they did all they humanly could.

My issue is with this constant harping on placing blame for a mechanical failure that is always, always possible in anything mechanical and the seemingly endless assumptions that somehow BP is a giant uncaring willful polluter and violator. Lord knows they are not saints.

But maybe if the energy invested in finding fault and placing blame were devoted to helping Louisiana prepare for the damage and help do whatever is needed to reduce the damage, things would turn out better in the end.

alpha_omega
06-01-2010, 01:58 PM
...maybe if the energy invested in finding fault and placing blame were devoted to...

THAT is part of the problem with many topics discussed here in DC!

go bowe
06-01-2010, 02:07 PM
they did all they humanly could.see my earlier post, they could have added an acoustic switch like they use in norway and brazil...

HonestChieffan
06-01-2010, 02:11 PM
see my earlier post, they could have added an acoustic switch like they use in norway and brazil...

Sounds like that option was eliminated by the government, not a BP (or TransOcean) decision. In WSJ the entire idea seems to be rather unproven and has only been used in shallow water situations. It only serves as a a switch and in this case there was a backup and it failed. I would have to assume we can only have so many backups to the backups.

petegz28
06-01-2010, 02:12 PM

LMAO, this spill happened 41 days ago. Obama has been President for over 450+ days.

Fish
06-01-2010, 02:59 PM
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7052/32461124623070902657100.jpg

dirk digler
06-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Who installed the Preventer? My understanding is that it was TransOcean, not BP. If BP installed it and it had passed all tests as we are led to believe..or if TransOcean installed it, is the mechanical failure their responsibility?

The answer is yes, they or someone is responsible. But accidents happen. Accidents are usually seen as either preventable or non preventable. If in fact all tests were done and passed and installation was correct then its a non preventable accident. that does not remove responsibility but it does show they did all they humanly could.

My issue is with this constant harping on placing blame for a mechanical failure that is always, always possible in anything mechanical and the seemingly endless assumptions that somehow BP is a giant uncaring willful polluter and violator. Lord knows they are not saints.

But maybe if the energy invested in finding fault and placing blame were devoted to helping Louisiana prepare for the damage and help do whatever is needed to reduce the damage, things would turn out better in the end.

The problem as I see it is that BP has a history of cutting safety corners and violating the law to make a profit.

Which is exactly what happened on Deepwater Horizon.

Two workers injured when an oil rig exploded in the Gulf of Mexico told Congress that the companies in charge of the doomed drilling operation cut corners and neglected maintenance in a race toward higher profits. Oil has been spewing since the Deepwater Horizon blew up off the coast of Louisiana April 20, killing 11 workers. More than 100 others escaped.

"They gambled with our lives," laborer Stephen Stone told the House of Representatives Judiciary Committee Thursday. He said the accident was "set in motion years ago by these companies needlessly rushing to make money faster, while cutting corners to save money."

HonestChieffan
06-01-2010, 03:40 PM
I actually have zero belief that Obama or the US Government can do one damn thing other than strut and posture. BP will be the ones to finally contain this deal.

Why cant Obama man up and say the US Govt will do whatever it can to assist help or aid BP to contain and stop the leak? Is that not what people want him to do and say?

Does anyone give a simple rats ass about all his talking endlessly about punishment? Lets maybe stop the damn thing first you nitwit.

dirk digler
06-01-2010, 03:46 PM
I actually have zero belief that Obama or the US Government can do one damn thing other than strut and posture. BP will be the ones to finally contain this deal.

Why cant Obama man up and say the US Govt will do whatever it can to assist help or aid BP to contain and stop the leak? Is that not what people want him to do and say?

Does anyone give a simple rats ass about all his talking endlessly about punishment? Lets maybe stop the damn thing first you nitwit.

Haven't you been listening to what anyone says? The government and Obama and even the military have all said they don't have better technology than BP or the oil companies.

What do you want the government do that BP can't do?

go bowe
06-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Sounds like that option was eliminated by the government, not a BP (or TransOcean) decision. In WSJ the entire idea seems to be rather unproven and has only been used in shallow water situations. It only serves as a a switch and in this case there was a backup and it failed. I would have to assume we can only have so many backups to the backups.this wsj article indicates that we can have backups to the standard blowout preventer triggers... http://snipurl.com/wzknp

accoustic triggers are a back up to the dead man switch, which is a backup to the standard cable connection to the blowout preventer...

acoustic triggers are a final backup, and they are required in norway and brazil and some oil companies use them even where they are not required to...

mlyonsd
06-01-2010, 03:56 PM
this wsj article indicates that we can have backups to the standard blowout preventer triggers... http://snipurl.com/wzknp

accoustic triggers are a back up to the dead man switch, which is a backup to the standard cable connection to the blowout preventer...

as far as i know, noone has ever had a spill when using an acoustic trigger as a back up, and they are required in norway and brazil and some oil companies use them even where they are not required to...

Holy crap you sound like a friggin engineer. You should take gaz's role.

HonestChieffan
06-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Haven't you been listening to what anyone says? The government and Obama and even the military have all said they don't have better technology than BP or the oil companies.

What do you want the government do that BP can't do?

Stop acting like they are on top of it...be honest they have no more idea than you or I.

And, get off BPs ass till this is fixed. Obama pounding his chest when he has zero to do with getting it fixed is stupid, tiresome, and he looks like a complete fool.

Give Louisiana whatever they need to protect shore habitat. He has done squat.

HonestChieffan
06-01-2010, 04:04 PM
this wsj article indicates that we can have backups to the standard blowout preventer triggers... http://snipurl.com/wzknp

acoustic triggers are a final backup, and they are required in norway and brazil and some oil companies use them even where they are not required to...

Has there ever been a blowout on a rig that was so equipped proving it will and can work?

dirk digler
06-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Stop acting like they are on top of it...be honest they have no more idea than you or I.

And, get off BPs ass till this is fixed. Obama pounding his chest when he has zero to do with getting it fixed is stupid, tiresome, and he looks like a complete fool.

Give Louisiana whatever they need to protect shore habitat. He has done squat.

Of course I will admit they don't have any ideas and either does BP and they are supposedly the experts with all the technology and the equipment.

I can't help it you can't see that BP killed their workers and caused this spill because they were cutting corners.

And I can't believe anybody would defend BP and tell people to get off their poor little ass.

JFC

:facepalm:

go bowe
06-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Has there ever been a blowout on a rig that was so equipped proving it will and can work?nope, but they thought the blowout protector on the bp rig would work, and it didn't...

even if unproven, whatever additional safety one might have provided would have been welcome in this case...

for a lousy $500,000...

CoMoChief
06-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Hell these guys drilled on a fucking meteor in outerspace and saved the planet, why doesn't BP hire these guys?

http://film.onet.pl/_i/film/a/armageddon/ddvd.jpg

HonestChieffan
06-01-2010, 04:35 PM
nope, but they thought the blowout protector on the bp rig would work, and it didn't...

even if unproven, whatever additional safety one might have provided would have been welcome in this case...

for a lousy $500,000...

Why did the EPA not require them

HonestChieffan
06-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Of course I will admit they don't have any ideas and either does BP and they are supposedly the experts with all the technology and the equipment.

I can't help it you can't see that BP killed their workers and caused this spill because they were cutting corners.

And I can't believe anybody would defend BP and tell people to get off their poor little ass.

JFC

:facepalm:

Seems like BP has been trying about every idea they can come up with. Thats not good enough for you I know.

And I'd be safe saying BP didn't "kill there workers". Thats bad for business. Companies don't "kill their workers".

Some day you are going to get hurt jumping to conclusions the way you do.

HonestChieffan
06-01-2010, 04:43 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MzllR24e-FY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MzllR24e-FY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

dirk digler
06-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Seems like BP has been trying about every idea they can come up with. Thats not good enough for you I know.

And I'd be safe saying BP didn't "kill there workers". Thats bad for business. Companies don't "kill their workers".

Some day you are going to get hurt jumping to conclusions the way you do.

And they have all failed but you think that the government can miraculously save us.

Aren't you one of those whiners that complain about the government interfering in private companies? Now you want them to help? Too funny.

You have trouble with facts, BP killed 15 workers in Texas because they cut safety corners and admitted such. The same thing happened again but you are too blind to see it.

HonestChieffan
06-01-2010, 04:48 PM
And they have all failed but you think that the government can miraculously save us.

Aren't you one of those whiners that complain about the government interfering in private companies? Now you want them to help? Too funny.

You have trouble with facts, BP killed 15 workers in Texas because they cut safety corners and admitted such. The same thing happened again but you are too blind to see it.

You never used to be so stupid. What happened? Did you dive and run out of o2?

dirk digler
06-01-2010, 04:51 PM
You never used to be so stupid. What happened? Did you dive and run out of o2?

That is because I am talking to you and I have to dumb it way down so you can understand.

HonestChieffan
06-01-2010, 04:55 PM
That is because I am talking to you and I have to dumb it way down so you can understand.

Not much of an effort on your part.

PunkinDrublic
06-01-2010, 05:17 PM

The less government at all cost crowd doesn't want to admit that when safety regulations are stripped away, industries can and will jeoperdize the safety of their workers. Notice there wasn't one peep out of them on here when the mining disasters went down a couple of months ago.

Dave Lane
06-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Not much of an effort on your part.

I will admit your efforts in this area are legendary and daily remind me to fasten my seatbelt and wear a helmet when I ride a motorcycle lest our fates commingle.

The Mad Crapper
06-01-2010, 06:49 PM
http://www.moonbattery.com/PostTurtle.jpg