PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: OTA #7 Report

Tribal Warfare
06-01-2010, 03:20 PM
OTA #7 Report (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/ota-7-report.html)
June 1, 2010 - Bob Gretz |

From the Truman Sports Complex

It was a tough day for some of the rookies as the Chiefs got back to work Monday morning for their third week of OTAs.

It started differently for the young guys right off the bat. Until Monday, the rookies had their own lifting session before any of the veterans. That changed when they were all thrown in with the veterans.

On the field, the coaching staff turned up the heat a bit. And it showed. Rookie TE Leroy Banks made a great catch over his head in the end zone for a touchdown. But several plays later, offensive coordinator Charlie Weis threw him out of the huddle and asked for a different tight end because of confusion over an assignment.

Head coach Todd Haley spoke at length to his team about mistakes in the scoring zone, and how those had to be eliminated whether they were penalties or turnovers. Just two players later, rookie RB Dexter McCluster coughed up the ball on a run to the left side.

“The whole idea of the OTAs is to go through the training camp installation (of offense and defense) as best we can,” Haley said. “When we get to the mini-camp, we get through it again. That will give them a second time through and then when we get to training camp, we will do it again.

“They are getting a lot thrown at them right now and it stars to add up. You are seeing some of those things from the rookies maybe kind of catching up to them.”

QB Brodie Croyle did not take part in the practice, but he watched with his right index finger bandaged. Croyle banged the digit off a helmet during last Thursday’s OTA. Haley said “it should not be anything serious” about the injury.

Of the 86 players on the Chiefs roster, 85 were on the field. Again, the only missing player was FS Jarrad Page, a restricted free agent who has not signed the tender offer from the team.

Here are some other observations from the 90-minute workout:

* Weather conditions were hot and humid for the outside session, something Haley was happy to see. “With the change we are making in training camp (moving to St. Joe), it will be a little warmer than it has been in the past,” said Haley. ‘The more ways you can re-create that training camp environment, the better off you are. It was a productive day.”

* Joining Croyle on the sidelines was the same cast of characters that’s missed the first six OTA sessions: RB Jamaal Charles, CB Brandon Flowers, TE Brad Cottam, WR Quinten Lawrence, WR David Grimes, WR Lance Long and TE Tony Moeaki.

* Again, it’s the first day of June so take this with a grain of salt, but Derrick Johnson and Jovan Belcher were working with the first team defense during the practice. Haley had high praise for Johnson after the session. “Derrick is one of the guys here who is really working to be the best he can be,” said Haley. “If he can play big-time football for us that would be good for the Kansas City Chiefs.”

* Banks, who was claimed on waivers just days before the start of OTAs, continues to be impressive as a receiver. His touchdown catch in the red zone from QB Matt Gutierrez was a very nice play as he caught the ball over his right shoulder while fighting off coverage from a safety. Haley said he knew very little about Banks before he was claimed after being released by the Falcons. “He can run a little bit,” said Haley. “It looks like he has something to him. Overall, he’s picking up the offense fairly well it appears.” Working against Banks – he’s a tweener physically, at 6-3, 243 pounds; he’s the smallest TE on the roster.

* Also in the red zone sessions, WRs Jerheme Urban and Jeremy Horne had nice catches, pulling the ball in and getting their feet down in the end zone with coverage on them. The guy throwing all three of those passes was Gutierrez.

* McCluster spent the practice working exclusively at running back.

* On special teams, coordinator Steve Hoffman worked the team through some mental reps on the kickoff return, specifically the work of the wedge.

* Veteran C Casey Wiegmann took a few snaps with the No. 1 offense, including a play where he dribbled a shotgun snap back to the quarterback.

* Defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel spent extra time working with the nose tackles during the individual position drills.

* The linebackers spent a lot of their position drill time working on pass drops.

salame
06-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Well, McCluster doesn't seem to be exclusively working at slot receiver yet eh?

cdcox
06-01-2010, 03:40 PM
* The linebackers spent a lot of their position drill time working on pass drops.

Bowe could give them some pointers.

Chocolate Hog
06-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Are OTA's usually this late? Semmed like last year they were alot earlier?

tyton75
06-01-2010, 03:46 PM
I somehow read that last sentence as the recievers were working on pass drops... lol.. maybe thats the problem

Count Alex's Losses
* Defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel spent extra time working with the nose tackles during the individual position drills.

Suit up, coach.

It'd be nice if Jovan Belcher turned into a starter, cus Mays = dogshit.

Chocolate Hog
And WTF Mccluster at runningback would make that a stupid pick.

Hydrae
06-01-2010, 03:48 PM
If he can play big-time football for us that would be good for the Kansas City Chiefs

Seems like a big if when it comes to DJ. Unfortunately, I was certainly excited when we picked him up and I have been so disappointed since.

Chocolate Hog
06-01-2010, 03:49 PM
No new ILB's and didn't upgrade the Dtackle position. Says alot about Pioli.

Sanka
06-01-2010, 04:04 PM

WR or RB, that pick was very stupid.

chiefzilla1501
06-01-2010, 04:23 PM

I can guarantee you that he's going to get more reps as a WR than a RB.

Hog Farmer
06-01-2010, 04:28 PM
WR or RB, that pick was very stupid.

I agree , drafting playmakers is dumb! We could have spent that pick on a backup left tackle. We scored way too many points last year and it really got old seeing our offense dominate every friggin game. That's why our sack total wasn't very good. Hell our defense was never on the field.

Fuckin Idiot !

RustShack
06-01-2010, 04:47 PM
No new ILB's and didn't upgrade the Dtackle position. Says alot about Pioli.

Good thing the Chiefs don't have a DT position. They did upgrade the starting NT with Shaun Smith... and the undrafted free agent is also far better than any NT we had last year behind Edwards.. and in a few years will likely be better because of his size and will...

RustShack
06-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Oh and DJ starting would also be an upgrade over last years starters... as would Belcher.

Sanka
06-01-2010, 04:51 PM
I agree , drafting playmakers is dumb! We could have spent that pick on a backup left tackle. We scored way too many points last year and it really got old seeing our offense dominate every friggin game. That's why our sack total wasn't very good. Hell our defense was never on the field.

Fuckin Idiot !
No your right, it is normal for teams that absolutely suck to draft a 3rd string RB/3rd string WR/gimmick player at the top of round 2.

FUCKIN FAGGOT

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Oh and DJ starting would also be an upgrade over last years starters... as would Belcher.

IMO absolutely

mcaj22
06-01-2010, 05:11 PM
a lot of hype in this report about a no named TE, but one that is actually practicing. I know it's only the 7th OTA but I feel they are looking for ANYONE to step up at TE just in case this Moeaki guy is riding the injured list like a roller coaster all season long. I think he was the worst pick of our draft IMO at this point.

Detoxing
06-01-2010, 05:12 PM
No your right, it is normal for teams that absolutely suck to draft a 3rd string RB/3rd string WR/gimmick player at the top of round 2.

****IN pillowbiter

So who's MULT is this?

mcaj22
06-01-2010, 05:13 PM
oh and Goot for starting QB!! Three touchdown passes in practice?!?! better than any QB we have right?

lostcause
06-01-2010, 05:14 PM
oh and Goot for starting QB!! Three touchdown passes in practice?!?! better than any QB we have right?

I was just going to say this.

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-01-2010, 05:16 PM
So who's MULT is this?

Obviously someone very butthurt over not getting thier guy. Some of the reactions are like a toddler getting his toy taken away.

Sanka
06-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Obviously someone very butthurt over not getting thier guy. Some of the reactions are like a toddler getting his toy taken away.

So it was a good thing we drafted a 3rd string RB/3rd string WR/gimmick wild cat player at the top of the 2nd round, instead of using it on a player who is actually going to start. With as many holes as this team has, Im glad we could waste picks on McCluster.

RustShack
06-01-2010, 05:26 PM
The thing is McCluster is going to be on the field as much as any other starter...

Sanka
06-01-2010, 05:33 PM
The thing is McCluster is going to be on the field as much as any other starter...

Still think it was a horrible pick.

JASONSAUTO
06-01-2010, 05:36 PM

well he may only play 59 percent of the offensive plays, the regular starters should play 60 percent so it was a wasted pick
Posted via Mobile Device

RustShack
06-01-2010, 05:37 PM
well he may only play 59 percent of the offensive plays, the regular starters should play 60 percent so it was a wasted pick
Posted via Mobile Device

He will likely see some returns along with Arenas.. so it should equal out.

TRR
06-01-2010, 05:45 PM
I find it hard to believe that KC's long term plans for McCluster include RB. It seems he will boom or bust at the slot WR position. If McCluster can provide a big play threat in the slot, and a possibe return threat, he will be well worth the pick.

Either way, I'm not sure why they are wasting their time practicing McCluster at RB. He will be the #3 RB at best, and isn't big enough to handle a lot of carries in the NFL.
Posted via Mobile Device

CoMoChief
06-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Good thing the Chiefs don't have a DT position. They did upgrade the starting NT with Shaun Smith... and the undrafted free agent is also far better than any NT we had last year behind Edwards.. and in a few years will likely be better because of his size and will...

How is that upgrading when he's going to be a backup and Ron Edwards, being that he's playing out of his true position, is probably better than Smith.

BossChief
06-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Some of you should get a clue.

If either Charles or Jones goes down for any period of time, DMC will step in at running back for a change of pace guy. Its foolish to overreact to the fact the guy is lining up at both spots during this time of the year.

TRR
06-01-2010, 05:56 PM

If either Charles or Jones goes down for any period of time, DMC will step in at running back for a change of pace guy. Its foolish to overreact to the fact the guy is lining up at both spots during this time of the year.

So do you see Kolby Smith, Jackie Battle, or Javarris Williams making the team? It is my belief that one of these true RBs would step up to take Charles/Jones carries if one were to go down for an extended period.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chocolate Hog
06-01-2010, 05:57 PM

lol Shaun Smith is an average player. The undrafted nose tackle they signed fucking sucks. And DJis an upgrade at the ILB instead of getting punched in the face this defense will be getting kicked in the nuts.

chiefzilla1501
06-01-2010, 05:57 PM
a lot of hype in this report about a no named TE, but one that is actually practicing. I know it's only the 7th OTA but I feel they are looking for ANYONE to step up at TE just in case this Moeaki guy is riding the injured list like a roller coaster all season long. I think he was the worst pick of our draft IMO at this point.

I don't see that guy making the roster, even if he's having a great camp.

Knowing Weis, he wants a really good blocker who can sort of catch. Not a really good receiving tight end who can sort of block. Camp fodder.

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-01-2010, 06:01 PM

You sir are correct. He'll play runningback, wildcat, and reciever. Charles will do the same. Weis is drooling over the the possiblities like a plate of ribs or the boys in my avy at a stack of burgers.

BossChief
06-01-2010, 06:02 PM
So do you see Kolby Smith, Jackie Battle, or Javarris Williams making the team? It is my belief that one of these true RBs would step up to take Charles/Jones carries if one were to go down for an extended period.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kolby is the Croyle of running backs and isnt as good as advertised anyway, when healthy

Either Battle or Williams will make the team, but neither is very good and I wouldn't care too much if both were cut.

I would rather have DMC as the #2 rb over any of them if we were to have a injury in the backfield.

Shit, I figured you of all people would LOVE DMC. This kid is gonna be a good player for us that brings a lot of excitement.

chiefzilla1501
06-01-2010, 06:03 PM
How is that upgrading when he's going to be a backup and Ron Edwards, being that he's playing out of his true position, is probably better than Smith.

Nose Tackles aren't that hard to find. If they were, you'd see them getting taken in the first round consistently, considering how important the position is.

Smith giving Edwards some rest will help us some. But for now, we just have to face the fact that we have a hole on the D. No bigs--not like we were going to fix everything in one year anyway.

When you're young and building, you don't draft for need. You draft players you think will make you better. If McCluster lives up to the billing, he'll do that. I'm not going to sweat passing up on a 2-down NT we can easily plug in as a final piece to the D.

TRR
06-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Kolby is the Croyle of running backs and isnt as good as advertised anyway, when healthy

Either Battle or Williams will make the team, but neither is very good and I wouldn't care too much if both were cut.

I would rather have DMC as the #2 rb over any of them if we were to have a injury in the backfield.

Shit, I figured you of all people would LOVE DMC. This kid is gonna be a good player for us that brings a lot of excitement.

I never said I didn't like him. McCluster doesn't have the size to tote the rock in the NFL for an extended period of time. So why waste time practicing him there? Especially when he needs all the work he can get in the slot. Weis will use McCluster wisely, but IMO they need to focus his sights on the slot position.
Posted via Mobile Device

mcaj22
06-01-2010, 06:06 PM
I don't see that guy making the roster, even if he's having a great camp.

Knowing Weis, he wants a really good blocker who can sort of catch. Not a really good receiving tight end who can sort of block. Camp fodder.

It's funny though these OTA reports are giving coverage to no name guys like Leroy Banks and Rashard Langford like they are the hope for the Chiefs future because they practice hard.

I'm all for it, but If these guys get cut, than what they hell was the point of hyping them that they had good practices and work hard. Tell me and hype me up about the guys that are actually going to be playing on Sundays so I can know who out of them is working hard.

Seems like bad reporting at this point, just looking for players that a fan can watch for, but missing completely.

Fish
06-01-2010, 06:10 PM

Says who? The other offensive starters in the NFL that weigh <170lbs?

chiefzilla1501
06-01-2010, 06:12 PM
I never said I didn't like him. McCluster doesn't have the size to tote the rock in the NFL for an extended period of time. So why waste time practicing him there? Especially when he needs all the work he can get in the slot. Weis will use McCluster wisely, but IMO they need to focus his sights on the slot position.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't see why he couldn't tote the rock about 5 times per game. His biggest contribution will be in the slot, but his greatest value will easily be his ability to shift seamlessly from the backfield to the slot or vice versa.

Sanka
06-01-2010, 06:20 PM
[quote=chiefzilla1501;6793011]Nose Tackles aren't that hard to find/quote]

Yea, you could find a NT anywhere, BUT THE GOOD ONES ARE TAKEN AND THE TEAMS THAT HAVE THEM WONT GET RID OF THEM.

BossChief
06-01-2010, 06:25 PM
McCluster doesn't have the size to tote the rock in the NFL for an extended period of time.
Posted via Mobile Device

He did fine as a full time running back in the SEC and is a hard worker (both mentally and physically) and the only reason he was played at running back is to get him more opertunities to touch the ball after showing great skill his first two years as a receiver at ole miss.

If ANYONE out of the recent drafts is the new Sproles/Dunn... this kid is EXACTLY THAT.

Size doesn't always dictate durability.

teedubya
06-01-2010, 06:30 PM
So what is wrong with Tony Brokie Moeaki?

teedubya
06-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Or is it Tony Broeaki?

BossChief
06-01-2010, 06:33 PM
I wish I knew.

He needs to get on the field.

He will be fine once he does.

chiefzilla1501
06-01-2010, 06:53 PM
[quote=chiefzilla1501;6793011]Nose Tackles aren't that hard to find/quote]

Yea, you could find a NT anywhere, BUT THE GOOD ONES ARE TAKEN AND THE TEAMS THAT HAVE THEM WONT GET RID OF THEM.

They won't get rid of them because they cost almost nothing to keep. It's an important position, but it's not a hard position to fill. THey are still among the lowest-paid in the game and carry almost no positional value in the draft. It's not a hard position to fill. If the Chiefs want to fill it next season, I can guarantee you that in a capped year, there will be some solid veterans on the free agent block and some young talent in the draft that will fall to our spot.

It would be nice to win games today. But the goal is to build for 2-3 years from now. I'm not sweating if we didn't draft a NT out of desperation.

Fish
06-01-2010, 06:56 PM
He did fine as a full time running back in the SEC and is a hard worker (both mentally and physically) and the only reason he was played at running back is to get him more opertunities to touch the ball after showing great skill his first two years as a receiver at ole miss.

If ANYONE out of the recent drafts is the new Sproles/Dunn... this kid is EXACTLY THAT.

Except Sproles/Dunn each have a good 15lbs on McCluster.....

Hydrae
06-01-2010, 06:59 PM
So Atlanta got our old TE at the end of his career and we got their young TE who is making great TD catches AND their 2nd round pick.

And you people doubt Pioli! :)

-King-
06-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Except Sproles/Dunn each have a good 15lbs on McCluster.....

What's next? DeSean Jackson can't be a successful WR because he doesn't have the height of a Randy Moss, or Fitz, or Andre Johnson?

Size doesn't mean that much. The kid went through the most physical conference in the NCAA and missed little to no games due to injury.
Posted via Mobile Device

OnTheWarpath58
06-01-2010, 08:03 PM
So what is wrong with Tony Brokie Moeaki?

No shit.

Hurt already?

Fucking kid probably came out of the womb with a sprained ankle.

TRR
06-01-2010, 08:04 PM

While I agree with you, McCluster had durability issues in college. He has never been the most durable guy, and obviously the punishment he will take in the NFL will be much greater than in the SEC.
Posted via Mobile Device

OnTheWarpath58
06-01-2010, 08:05 PM
It would be nice to win games today. But the goal is to build for 2-3 years from now. I'm not sweating if we didn't draft a NT out of desperation.

The goal actually should have been to build for 2-3 years from the time Pioli took the fucking job.

But since some of you want to make excuses for 2009, I guess 2014 is looking better and better.

Mr. Laz
06-01-2010, 08:20 PM
TE Brad Cottam,TE Tony Moeaki,QB Brodie Croyle

we have the makings of an all-injured team

chiefzilla1501
06-01-2010, 08:20 PM
The goal actually should have been to build for 2-3 years from the time Pioli took the ****ing job.

But since some of you want to make excuses for 2009, I guess 2014 is looking better and better.

I don't think there are many at this point who would make excuses for 2009. It was god awful. If we had an even semi-decent offseason in 2009, I think we could have walked into 2010 with the ability to be competitive and that's a real shame. But having a bad year in 2009 doesn't mean you walk into 2010 and hit the panic switch. If 2010 was the official start of the massive rebuild, I think it got off to a good start, especially given the lack of talent in an uncapped year.

Mr. Laz
06-01-2010, 08:23 PM
desperation?

there were many NT in the draft considered to be pretty dam good

instead we chose a smurf gadget player who will likely be all beat to hell in 3 years.

chiefzilla1501
06-01-2010, 08:29 PM
desperation?

there were many NT in the draft considered to be pretty dam good

instead we chose a smurf gadget player who will likely be all beat to hell in 3 years.

And yet, most people will contend that Troup was a reach and Cody's value was obviously several picks later. Taking a NT for McCluster would have been a reach, no matter which way you cut it. Experts universally seem to agree that McCluster was taken at the right spot. Only Chiefs' fans seem to disagree.

And I don't get your argument that he's going to get beat to hell in 3 years. Most of his runs (which shouldn't be too many) will probably be sweeps to the outside and most of his receptions will likely be caught in space. It's not like we're talking about Jahvid Best here, who will be taking a lot more heavy runs between the tackles.

Mr. Laz
06-01-2010, 08:36 PM
And yet, most people will contend that Troup was a reach and Cody's value was obviously several picks later. Taking a NT for McCluster would have been a reach, no matter which way you cut it. Experts universally seem to agree that McCluster was taken at the right spot. Only Chiefs' fans seem to disagree.

And I don't get your argument that he's going to get beat to hell in 3 years. Most of his runs (which shouldn't be too many) will probably be sweeps to the outside and most of his receptions will likely be caught in space. It's not like we're talking about Jahvid Best here, who will be taking a lot more heavy runs between the tackles.
whatever ... we'll see

in 3 years we will see what happened ... McCluster was taken ahead of A LOT of quality prospects.

chiefzilla1501
06-01-2010, 08:41 PM
whatever ... we'll see

in 3 years we will see what happened ... McCluster was taken ahead of A LOT of quality prospects.

And my guess is that the majority of those "quality" prospects will be nothing better than rotational players or average players at best. I think there's been a really massive overrating of players we passed on. McCluster has just as many question marks as any of the guys we passed on.

Mr. Laz
06-01-2010, 08:51 PM
And my guess is that the majority of those "quality" prospects will be nothing better than rotational players or average players at best. I think there's been a really massive overrating of players we passed on. McCluster has just as many question marks as any of the guys we passed on.
yea and in 3 years i expect you to break out the excuses and rationalizations.

the final being "hindsight is 20/20" because you will have conveniently forgotten that people predicted this stupid shit.

RB's are a short shelf life position ... smallish players are usually short lived

McCluster has "1 contract" length career written all over him.

maybe he will beat the odds, maybe McCluster will bring Dante Hall type excitement for the next 3/4 years so we can win 7 games instead of 5.

That still doesn't change all the long term,foundation type players we passed over for him.

chiefzilla1501
06-01-2010, 09:10 PM
yea and in 3 years i expect you to break out the excuses and rationalizations.

the final being "hindsight is 20/20" because you will have conveniently forgotten that people predicted this stupid shit.
I have made a lot of mistakes. And I have manned up to them. I don't know why that would change now.

RB's are a short shelf life position ... smallish players are usually short lived
We're not talking about a guy whose going to see, probably more than 3-5 carries a game. The bumps and bruises he takes are a RB are far from being something I'm concerned about.

McCluster has "1 contract" length career written all over him.

maybe he will beat the odds, maybe McCluster will bring Dante Hall type excitement for the next 3/4 years so we can win 7 games instead of 5.
What odds? By the time the season starts, I see no reason why he won't be the same size as Desean Jackson. And I'm sure he has room to add on 5-10 more lbs. Again, don't understand the comments about having too small a frame to play the slot receiver position.

That still doesn't change all the long term,foundation type players we passed over for him.
I can guarantee you that in 2-3 years, we'll have those long-term foundational positions filled. We have free agency next year. We have a full draft next year. We can still develop guys on the roster. Troup/Cody are not hard talents to match. Washington/Misi have the upside to be good not great ILBs. Kindle could be a difference maker, IF his legs stay healthy. I don't think Tate offers the same kind of versatility value for Weis' offense as McCluster does. The only guy I regret passing on is Clausen, and apparently there were more than a few who did that.

It's not hard to find foundational players. We can find an equal (probably a lot better) than Misi in free agency, for example. You only have so many chances to find playmakers. McCluster is a risk, but he was brought in for that reason. I'm fine with it--of course, it all depends on if he pans out.

BossChief
06-01-2010, 09:25 PM
While I agree with you, McCluster had durability issues in college. He has never been the most durable guy, and obviously the punishment he will take in the NFL will be much greater than in the SEC.
Posted via Mobile Device

What durability issues did he have in college? I knowingly haven't heard that before, so i would like clarification.

chiefzilla1501
06-01-2010, 09:28 PM
What durability issues did he have in college? I knowingly haven't heard that before, so i would like clarification.

He missed 7 games his freshman year and had shoulder surgery, then missed the first 4 after he injured the same shoulder the following year. I don't think he missed any games after that.

boogblaster
06-01-2010, 09:36 PM
its june .. lots of players will walk thru the doors again this season im sure ...

BossChief
06-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Thats interesting Zilla and thanks for the info. Interesting because those were the years he played wide out and that is were he will (presumably) play here, mostly. Hopefully, the "speed impact" hits are something he has learned to avoid to prolong his career.

Hog Farmer
06-02-2010, 05:36 AM
Still think it was a horrible pick.

Polish people not well known for their ability to think. But we understand.