PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Replacing a Thermostat?

NewChief
06-02-2010, 05:07 AM
I've got a bad thermostat (the Low Bat indication keeps coming on, and eventually it stops working). I've cleaned the terminals with baking soda and water, and it still won't work for any sustained length of time. The Honeywell site said this is an indicator of a bad thermostat.

My question: I've taken the thing off the wall, and it's only three (I believe, if I remember correctly) wires connected to it in an apparently straightforward manner. Can I just go buy a replacement thermostat and set it up myself, or is there more to it? Do I need to call and pay a heat and air repairman, or is this a DIY fix?

Hog Farmer
06-02-2010, 05:10 AM
DIY, Try to find one that matches the one you're replacing. very simple.

If it's for heating only it will have two wires. If it's for heat/cool it should have three.

Red Beans
06-02-2010, 05:52 AM
Do it yourself, it'll take about 5 seconds to install.

Silock
06-02-2010, 05:58 AM
DIY. I knew nothing about thermostats and put in a really super fancy one all by myself in about 3 minutes. It's pretty much idiot-proof, as evidenced by the fact that I managed to get it installed correctly the first time without any help.

kepp
06-02-2010, 06:38 AM
Definitely DIY. I switched from an old-style thermostat to a Honeywell digital and it didn't take long.

Radar Chief
06-02-2010, 06:50 AM
DIY. Just be careful not to bend the dingle arm. It can throw your lunar wane shaft out of alignment with the marzin veins.

bevischief
06-02-2010, 08:18 AM
Might check with the power company they replaced mine for free with a high tech one, some going green program.

TrebMaxx
06-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Last move we made the wife had ours installed before I could get to it. I told her I was just about to get it installed and she said "it's only three wires". DIY NewPhin.