PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Waters named Iba male recipient

Mr. Laz
06-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Waters named Iba male recipient

Kansas City Chiefs offensive lineman honored by award.

<input name="ctl00$ContentPlaceHolder1$ArticleControl$imgNamePrimary" id="ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_ArticleControl_imgNamePrimary" type="hidden"> http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2010/Thumbs/20100602_b5_nx030_68de_9%5B1%5D_package.jpg (http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2010/20100602_B5_NX030_68DE_9%5B1%5D.jpg)
Waters

By JIMMIE TRAMEL World Sports Writer (http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/authors.aspx?a=JIMMIE-TRAMEL-)
Published: 6/2/2010 2:20 AM
Last Modified: 6/2/2010 4:46 AM

<table></table>Brian Waters majored in community service while in college at North Texas. He's done enough community service that perhaps he should be teaching the classes.

Waters, a four-time Pro Bowl guard with the Kansas City Chiefs, will be announced as the 2010 male recipient of the Henry P. Iba Citizen Athlete Award during a Wednesday meeting of the Rotary Club of Tulsa.

The Iba Awards, named in memory of former Oklahoma State and Olympic basketball coach Henry Iba, were created in 1994 to annually recognize a male and female athlete who excel in their sport, who exemplify a high degree of citizenship and who demonstrate by their actions a desire to help others.

The 2010 recipients — Waters and Ruth Riley of the WNBA's San Antonio Silver Stars — will be honored June 14 at the Renaissance Hotel.

"This award in particular is a great honor to be honest with you just because it's not from my hometown or it's not from the city that I work in," Waters said during a Tuesday telephone interview.

"It's from a national recognizable organization and that says a lot about the work we have been doing and says a lot about the people we have been working with. My wife and I have really put in a lot of effort and time and the people in the organizations we work with have also put in a lot of time and energy."

Waters is an ex-underdog who helps other underdogs, primarily through the Brian Waters 54 Foundation.

His body of humanitarian work — from providing scholarships to low-income students to donating $100,000 to save a Pee Wee football program in his hometown of Waxahachie, Texas — is so exemplary that he received the NFL's Walter Payton Man of the Year Award last season. The award recognizes a player for community service and excellence on the field.

A two-time first-team All-Pro, Waters will enter his 11th season as the most experienced player (147 games, 133 starts) on the Chiefs' roster. Only 13 players in franchise history started more regular season games.

Waters has been cashing — and sharing — NFL paychecks much longer than anyone envisioned. He was not drafted and was cut by the Dallas Cowboys following his first NFL tryout in 1999. He sampled NFL Europe before catching on with the Chiefs at an unfamiliar position in 2000. He was a tight end and defensive lineman in college.

Waters has paved the way for the top four individual single-season rushing totals in franchise history.

In 2004, he was the first undrafted guard to reach the Pro Bowl since Dallas' Nate Newton in 1998.

Also in 2004, Waters became the first guard ever to be named AFC Player of the Week. Player of the week awards are won almost exclusively by stat-producers, but Waters was saluted because the Chiefs plowed for eight rushing touchdowns in a 56-10 victory over Atlanta.

Waters becomes the sixth former NFL Man of the Year to snare an Iba Award, joining former Chiefs teammate Will Shields, Peyton Manning, Warrick Dunn, Drew Brees and Derrick Brooks.

Other past Iba recipients are Mark Rypien, Chris Zorich, Dikembe Mutombo, John Starks, Eugene Robinson, Karl Malone, Bryce Drew, Tom Lehman, Ozzie Smith, Drew Bledsoe and Chris Paul.

Waters wanted to share the credit for his Iba Award.

"I have got a lot of great people around me," he said. "My wife has been the most important person within our foundation and then the organizations that we partner with have just been great. They have been very receptive to any ideas and have been very accommodating in every way."

Ugly Duck
06-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Iba Male Recipient sounds like some kinda gay website...

Sofa King
06-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Iba Male Recipient sounds like some kinda gay website...

th^t