PDA

View Full Version : Misc got a nasty snake bite this weekend

tooge
06-02-2010, 02:30 PM
I took the family down to southern Mo this weekend and I ended up stepping on a snake nexrt to the water while fishin. As my (unluckiest sonofabitchintheentireuniverse) luck would have it, it happened to be a cotton mouth (water moccosin). I got to spend 2 days in the hospital in Branson. I have a very high pain tolerance. I've had 30% of my body scraped to get out road rash. This made that look like a walk in the park, By far the most painful thing I have ever felt. It took over an hour to get to the hospital and I was in bad shape by the time I got there. Then I had a reaction to the antivenom. To top it all off, the little bastard was only about 18 inches long and only got me with one fang. This pic is from an hour after the bite and my left foot is 1.5 times the size of my right. It ended up being totally purple to my ankle. Note to self: no more wearing flip flops while fishing at the river.

Gracie Dean
06-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Wow, Glad you are okay. That sounds rough

Detoxing
06-02-2010, 02:33 PM
EEeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww

King_Chief_Fan
06-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Ouch man, that looks painful. Here's to a fast recovery

Chief Henry
06-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Army boots would help while fishing in that area. Snakes suck.

Hog Farmer
:LOL:

:loser:

:shrug:

Get well soon !

Detoxing
My GF got bit by a brown widow a few months ago. (did I ever make a thread about that? Cant remember...) And I thought her bite was bad....(well, it was, technically)

Pants
06-02-2010, 02:41 PM
My GF got bit by a brown widow a few months ago. (did I ever make a thread about that? Cant remember...) And I thought her bite was bad....(well, it was, technically)

Oh my fuck! Where do you guys live if not a secret?

Detoxing
06-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Oh my ****! Where do you guys live if not a secret?

San Diego. We have a shit load of them. Not sure how the spider got there though. She was just walking home, saw the spider on her arm, freaked out, got bit and the rest is history.

It took almost a month for it to go away..and it's still technically not gone. Everytime it's cold out she can feel some pain in her arm.

Rain Man
06-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Did the doctor mark it with an X so he'd remember which foot was bitten?

Sounds like it stung. Can cottonmouths be fatal? A friend of a friend got bitten by a rattlesnake out here and apparently it costs a fortune in hospital and antivenin. And it hurts.

tooge
06-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Ouch man, that looks painful. Here's to a fast recovery

Thanks all. I'm fine now. Wont be running for a few days I'm guessing, but hey, at least it didn't bite my son. He walked passed it right before me. I dont hate snakes, I was the dumbass wearing flip flops.

tooge
06-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Did the doctor mark it with an X so he'd remember which foot was bitten?

Sounds like it stung. Can cottonmouths be fatal? A friend of a friend got bitten by a rattlesnake out here and apparently it costs a fortune in hospital and antivenin. And it hurts.

The X was so that they could monitor how much more swelling occured over a given time to see about how much venom I was exposed to. Yes they can be fatal, but I hear it is very rare. Yes it hurts.

Detoxing
06-02-2010, 02:52 PM
The X was so that they could monitor how much more swelling occured over a given time to see about how much venom I was exposed to. Yes they can be fatal, but I hear it is very rare. Yes it hurts.

How does the "X" accomplish that? With my GF, they outlined the swelling so you can see how much and where it was expanding.

SDChiefs
06-02-2010, 02:54 PM

Brown recluse or black widow? I don't think I have ever heard of a brown widow.

Iowanian
06-02-2010, 02:54 PM
That sounds rough. I'd always heard snake bites were painful.

I tomahawked myself in the hand yesterday and had a few stitches of my own.....and I'd rather not trade wounds with you.

Otter
06-02-2010, 02:55 PM
To add insult to injury he drew an "X" on your foot after biting you.

EDIT: there were no "x" jokes when I started posting. :mad:

Detoxing
06-02-2010, 02:56 PM

Yeah, it's a Brown Widow. Not a lot of people have heard of the "Brown Widow"...but if you do some research on it, the Brown Widow is basically a Black Widow that doesn't have the ability to inject as much venom as the Black Widow. The Venom is the same, just a smaller quantity is able to penetrate your skin.

Apparently, it's a growing breed of spider here In SoCal.

tooge
06-02-2010, 02:57 PM
How does the "X" accomplish that? With my GF, they outlined the swelling so you can see how much and where it was expanding.

cuz the swelling moves up the foot toward the ankle. It was at the x when they made it there. By the time I got admitted, it was up past my ankle. It was already past the x when I took this pic. I was shaking too bad to try to take a pic prior to the fentanyl and vicodin. heh.

Detoxing
06-02-2010, 02:57 PM
cuz the swelling moves up the foot toward the ankle. It was at the x when they made it there. By the time I got admitted, it was up past my ankle. It was already past the x when I took this pic. I was shaking too bad to try to take a pic prior to the fentanyl and vicodin. heh.

Ah, gotcha.

Radar Chief
06-02-2010, 03:01 PM

Heh, Ill be damned. Id never heard of them either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latrodectus_geometricus

MOhillbilly
06-02-2010, 03:17 PM
i had a dog get spiderbit. left a huge necrotic hole in his side, so i did some research loaded him up w/ dex and it was good as new in a week or two.
this is just for future reference if you or your dog gets spiderbit ,the posion cannot be a neurotoxin.
so make sure you know the diffrence between hemo & neurotixic spiders and snakes.

lol.

KCChiefsMan
06-02-2010, 03:17 PM
damn, hope you recover quickly. The one time in my life that I have shot a gun was at a cottonmouth and I got it.

Bwana
06-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Damn dude! That sucks......

MOhillbilly
06-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Damn dude! That sucks......

i wonder if anyone volunteered?

Dark Horse
06-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Just before it bit you did you say "crikey have a go at the size of that little beauty" ?

btlook1
06-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Did I miss it, did you kill the little bastard?? Glad to hear it's not any worse than it could have been.

no love
06-03-2010, 12:56 AM
my lady got bit by a western diamondback last summer while we were hiking.

bad news. It took her 5 days in hospital and couldn't walk for a month, then walker and crutches for another.

Look at it this way, the odds of you getting bit twice are incredibly low.

good luck

ChiefJustice
06-03-2010, 04:22 AM
Next time....

http://www.chucksbootsandleathers.com/images/MD6201.jpg

Hope you have learned a lesson.

Jk....you are a lucky cat.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

JD10367
06-03-2010, 06:01 AM
Yeah, it's a Brown Widow. Not a lot of people have heard of the "Brown Widow"...but if you do some research on it, the Brown Widow is basically a Black Widow that doesn't have the ability to inject as much venom as the Black Widow. The Venom is the same, just a smaller quantity is able to penetrate your skin.

That's racist!

ChiefJustice
06-03-2010, 06:11 AM
That's racist!

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/sw50sw8sw578.gif (http://www.gifbin.com/981768)

FYP

Amnorix
06-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Gives you all the more reason to respect, and wonder about the sanity of this man.

"Haast physically extracts venom from venomous snakes by holding them by the head and forcing them to strike a rubber membrane covering a vial. As a result of handling these snakes, Haast had been bitten 172 times as of mid 2008,<SUP id=cite_ref-0 class=reference>[ (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/#cite_note-0)"</SUP>
<SUP></SUP>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Haast

As a result of all this, his blood is an anti-venom.

"On several occasions Haast has donated his blood to be used in treating snake-bite victims when a suitable anti-venom was not available."

I watched a special on this guy once. Jaw dropping stuff. He looked very fit and was still handling poisonous snakes into his 80s. Scientists are studying his blood to see what can be learned regarding anti-venom.

Otter
06-03-2010, 06:42 AM
That's racist!

Where all the white widows at?

Radar Chief
06-03-2010, 06:47 AM
Where the white widows at?

FYP. ;)

savchief
06-03-2010, 08:05 AM
The X is where they felt a pulse in your foot. They mark it because the pulse in the foot is tricky to locate at times. Any time you have a swelling injury you want to keep checking and make sure you always can feel a pulse...if the pulse goes away, that means blood flow has gone away. then they give you extra attention.

Buehler445
06-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Fuck that dude. Glad you're OK. Those can be nasty.
Posted via Mobile Device

loochy
06-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Yeah, good luck on getting well and all....

...but still, that's pretty damn cool (in a way).

Old Dog
06-03-2010, 08:30 AM
To add insult to injury he drew an "X" on your foot after biting you.

The "X" would be the spot locating the dorsalis pedis pulse, it's easier to mark it than it is to search for it every time they check it with the doppler.

MOhillbilly
06-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Gives you all the more reason to respect, and wonder about the sanity of this man.

"Haast physically extracts venom from venomous snakes by holding them by the head and forcing them to strike a rubber membrane covering a vial. As a result of handling these snakes, Haast had been bitten 172 times as of mid 2008,<SUP id=cite_ref-0 class=reference>[ (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/#cite_note-0)"</SUP>
<SUP></SUP>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Haast

As a result of all this, his blood is an anti-venom.

"On several occasions Haast has donated his blood to be used in treating snake-bite victims when a suitable anti-venom was not available."

I watched a special on this guy once. Jaw dropping stuff. He looked very fit and was still handling poisonous snakes into his 80s. Scientists are studying his blood to see what can be learned regarding anti-venom.

i knew a dude that had gaboon vipers in his trailer. guy was shithouse rat on a hot tin roof crazy.
only had one eye cause he got into a fight that somehow turned into crash up truck derby where he had his eye beaten out with a muffler pipe.
huh!

loochy
06-03-2010, 08:32 AM
i knew a dude that had gaboon vipers in his trailer. guy was shithouse rat on a hot tin roof crazy.
only had one eye cause he got into a fight that somehow turned into crash up truck derby where he had his eye beaten out with a muffler pipe.
huh!

Where the hell do you buy a Gaboon viper? Did he go to Africa and catch them himself?

MOhillbilly
06-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Where the hell do you buy a Gaboon viper? Did he go to Africa and catch them himself?

you go out and find one.

edit- he also had rattlesnakes and cobras and all kinds of other shit.

Phobia
06-03-2010, 08:43 AM
That's rough, dude. Let me know if you need anybody to wait on you hand and foot.

Hog Farmer
06-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Where's badgirl when you need her ??????

Groves
06-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Everyone's been lying to you about the "X"...for your own good.

It's no swellometer.
It doesn't mark some pulse location.

The entirety of it's purpose is to help them remember which foot to saw off if it gets that bad. Litigation is pretty common these days so they take extra precautions.

Jethopper
06-03-2010, 11:42 AM
I got bit by a rattler in 6th grade. Still got a hole in my leg

SDChiefs
06-03-2010, 11:48 AM

Apparently, it's a growing breed of spider here In SoCal.

Good to know thanks.

MOhillbilly
06-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Good to know thanks.

copper headed rattle moccisan