PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Worst officials?

DJ's left nut
06-02-2010, 08:24 PM
With the NBA finals coming up, the NHL finals in full swing and the NFL on the way...and I believe there was some MLB related gaffe today - who you got?

Which league has the absolute worst officiating around?

I still say NBA and it's not even close.

tk13
06-02-2010, 08:25 PM
David Stern just fined you $500,000.

Farzin
06-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Too hard to narrow it down to only one. All of them are bad. And these guys get paid for it, too..

KC native
NBA hands down.

'Hamas' Jenkins
It's the NBA, but MLB is the least excusable given that there is no reason for on-field umpires in baseball to exist whatseover.

To be honest, officials in all sports are inexcusably awful.

The Bad Guy
06-02-2010, 08:27 PM
I think they are the worst in the NBA, but MLB is creeping up.

Bane
06-02-2010, 08:28 PM
NBA IMO.

BWillie
06-02-2010, 08:29 PM
NFL. They f*ck up all the time. They just have the luxury of having instant reply. NFL by a MILE

tk13
06-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I'd rank the NBA first... NFL second. Probably MLB then NHL.

Given what they are being asked to do without the benefit of replay, I think baseball is the hardest sport to umpire. I'm amazed there aren't more calls like that.

The Bad Guy
06-02-2010, 08:34 PM
That Galaraga final out call was one of the worst I ever saw.

DJ's left nut
06-02-2010, 08:35 PM

Given what they are being asked to do without the benefit of replay, I think baseball is the hardest sport to umpire. I'm amazed there aren't more calls like that.

That's exactly how I'd rank it.

MLB is usually pretty decent. They have about 5-8 guys that are 'look at me' cocksuckers (Jim Joyce isn't one of them), but the rest are generally pretty good.

OnTheWarpath58
06-02-2010, 08:42 PM
NBA, easily.

BWillie
06-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Actually, I'd say NBA is the hardest to official. Always fast movement, you are always out of position and people are bunched together. I think NBA hardest to official, followed by NFL, and then MLB. Don't care about other sports

dirk digler
06-02-2010, 08:44 PM
No brainer it is the NBA.

tk13
06-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Actually, I'd say NBA is the hardest to official. Always fast movement, you are always out of position and people are bunched together. I think NBA hardest to official, followed by NFL, and then MLB. Don't care about other sports

I haven't done it anywhere resembling half of a semi-professional level, so take it with a grain of salt. But I've officiated both basketball and baseball, not the other two sports though. I think baseball is harder, but you're right, basketball is very difficult to officiate when the play is in the lane. It's easy to look incompetent if 5 guys are bunched in there hacking each other. But at least you have other officials to help bail you out. In baseball most of the time a call comes down to you and you alone.

Demonpenz
06-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Nba not calling traveling or carrying would be like in baseball if they just routinely didn't call someone out who was off the base and tagged

Param
06-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Should this even be a poll?

NBA

OnTheWarpath58
06-02-2010, 08:56 PM

Try doing that on ice skates, on a crowded rink - with 12 players, 2 linesmen and another official - those players moving 30 MPH and the puck moving upwards of 90-100MPH. Meanwhile, you have to stay out of the way but in the correct position to make the right calls.

Hockey is the hardest, and it's not even remotely close.

Fuck, most people can't even stand on ice skates, so even imagining the skill needed to play and officiate hockey is unfathomable for most.

Pablo
06-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Try doing that on ice skates, on a crowded rink - with 12 players, 2 linesmen and another official - those players moving 30 MPH and the puck moving upwards of 90-100MPH. Meanwhile, you have to stay out of the way but in the correct position to make the right calls.

Hockey is the hardest, and it's not even remotely close.

****, most people can't even stand on ice skates, so even imagining the skill needed to play and officiate hockey is unfathomable for most.Watching hockey is unfathomably boring for most.

OnTheWarpath58
06-02-2010, 09:00 PM

I'd switch MLB and NFL.

The "accepted" rules in MLB turn me off. Like the 1st baseman pulling his foot early, (yeah, Ryan Howard, I'm talking to you) the phantom tag of 2nd on double play balls, and that 95% of umpires will call a guy out if the ball beats him to the bag, ignoring the tag.

I will say that I think that every sport but football has a few guys that think the crowd bought tickets to see them officiate.

OnTheWarpath58
06-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Watching hockey is unfathomably boring for most.

Go to a live NHL game, and if you still feel that way, we'll talk.

dirk digler
06-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Go to a live NHL game, and if you still feel that way, we'll talk.

Hockey games are fun live but boring as fuck on TV. I hate watching baseball on TV too.

Soccer is the absolute worst live and on TV.

irishjayhawk
06-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Nba not calling traveling or carrying would be like in baseball if they just routinely didn't call someone out who was off the base and tagged

This.

That's why I voted NBA no contest.

morphius
06-02-2010, 09:16 PM
I still believe that the NBA refs get their training from professional wrestling.

OnTheWarpath58
06-02-2010, 09:17 PM
I still believe that the NBA refs get their training from professional wrestling.

Fuck, that's an insult to professional wrestling.

notorious
06-02-2010, 09:18 PM
JFC

MLB is a slow moving game with an obvious strike zone. Basketball has all kinds of speed.

MLB umping hands down. When they fuck up, it is horrific.

Demonpenz
06-02-2010, 09:20 PM
The continue call in nba is redick. Bumped at half court? Throw it up after you take a step. 3 shots

irishjayhawk
06-02-2010, 09:20 PM
JFC

MLB is a slow moving game with an obvious strike zone. Basketball has all kinds of speed.

MLB umping hands down. When they **** up, it is horrific.

:spock:

Bang bang plays at the bag are "slow moving"? 90+ mph pitches into a small area that you're calling from behind are "slow moving"?

dirk digler
06-02-2010, 09:22 PM
The continue call in nba is redick. Bumped at half court? Throw it up after you take a step. 3 shots

Paul Pierce is the master at this.

Demonpenz
06-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Mario Jagr and Ron Francis would have scored 300 goals a piece if they actually called holding in hockey in 1993

tk13
06-02-2010, 09:25 PM
JFC

MLB umping hands down. When they **** up, it is horrific.

These guys are throwing 90-100 mph into an imaginary zone that's 17 inches across and maybe a couple feet vertically. And when they're not doing that, they're throwing pitches that can break 6-9 inches or more, and you have to anticipate where that is when it crosses the plate, not when it hits the catcher's glove..

notorious
06-02-2010, 09:25 PM
:spock:

Bang bang plays at the bag are "slow moving"? 90+ mph pitches into a small area that you're calling from behind are "slow moving"?

NBA is horrible too, but MLB umpires make horrific calls that are blatantly obvious. It is very apparent that MLB umpires have gigantic egos.

I hate NBA officiating because it sways to the home team so much it is laughable.

Either way, both leagues suck balls when it comes to officiating.

notorious
06-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Why does MLB even have umpires? We get a perfect view of the pitches from the camera, so why put important calls in the hands of an out-of-position ego maniac?

DeezNutz
06-02-2010, 09:28 PM
I haven't done it anywhere resembling half of a semi-professional level, so take it with a grain of salt. But I've officiated both basketball and baseball, not the other two sports though. I think baseball is harder, but you're right, basketball is very difficult to officiate when the play is in the lane. It's easy to look incompetent if 5 guys are bunched in there hacking each other. But at least you have other officials to help bail you out. In baseball most of the time a call comes down to you and you alone.

Funny because I've been an official for both sports and I'd argue that basketball is far more difficult.

The reason why NBA refs are so fucking bad is because many aren't physically up to the task, given the elite athletes they're being asked to officiate.

irishjayhawk
06-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Why does MLB even have umpires? We get a perfect view of the pitches from the camera, so why put important calls in the hands of an out-of-position ego maniac?

I never thought MLB umps are ego maniacs. Sure there are some.

NBA on the other hand....

dirk digler
Funny because I've been an official for both sports and I'd argue that basketball is far more difficult.

The reason why NBA refs are so fucking bad is because many aren't physically up to the task, given the elite athletes they're being asked to officiate.

Joey Crawford and Dick Bavetta come to mind

tk13

The reason why NBA refs are so ****ing bad is because many aren't physically up to the task, given the elite athletes they're being asked to officiate.

You might be right, I don't know. I played basketball, and I barely played baseball, so that might have something to do with it. It is more physically demanding, certainly wasn't easy.. maybe as a whole, but I thought the hardest calls in baseball were much harder.

irishjayhawk
06-02-2010, 09:35 PM

The reason why NBA refs are so ****ing bad is because many aren't physically up to the task, given the elite athletes they're being asked to officiate.

No, it more has to do with the rules they're given to enforce.

Travelling.
Carrying.
Continuation.
etc
etc

OnTheWarpath58
06-02-2010, 09:36 PM

Well, that and we all have our paycheck riding on the games in Vegas.

Sincerely,

Tim Donaghy

dirk digler
06-02-2010, 09:38 PM
I never thought MLB umps are ego maniacs. Sure there are some.

NBA on the other hand....

NBA refs for the most part aren't ego maniacs. If you ever watch an NBA game they are always talking to the players and telling them what they did wrong.

You don't see that in any other sport except maybe the NFL.

ClevelandBronco
06-02-2010, 09:38 PM
NHL official do a pretty good job (they've gotten much better since the lockout), but I figure that they kind of get a pass from a lot of folks who don't know the rules and therefore have no flipping idea how the refs are doing.

irishjayhawk
06-02-2010, 09:39 PM
NBA refs for the most part aren't ego maniacs. If you ever watch an NBA game they are always talking to the players and telling them what they did wrong.

You don't see that in any other sport except maybe the NFL.

I see them more in NBA than I do MLB which isn't to say there's many.

OnTheWarpath58
06-02-2010, 09:41 PM
NHL official do a pretty good job (they've gotten much better since the lockout), but I figure that they kind of get a pass from a lot of folks who don't know the rules and therefore have no flipping idea how the refs are doing.

Two reasons why NHL refs aren't getting any/many votes.

NBA refs are THAT fucking bad.

Most of the posters on this board have no concept of the rules of hockey.

I can tell you that the officiating has been fucking terrible the first 3 games of this series.

dirk digler
06-02-2010, 09:41 PM
I see them more in NBA than I do MLB which isn't to say there's many.

The problem as I see it in the NBA is that certain refs outright don't like some players and they don't attempt to hide it.

dirk digler
06-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Two reasons why NHL refs aren't getting any/many votes.

NBA refs are THAT fucking bad.

Most of the posters on this board have no concept of the rules of hockey.

I can tell you that the officiating has been fucking terrible the first 3 games of this series.

Actually there is only 1 reason. No one watches hockey.

You know I was bored tonight and was going to watch the game and low and behold the NHL Stanley Cup Finals is not on any of the big 4 networks or ESPN. How the fuck can that be and how do they plan on attracting more viewers?

milkman
06-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Government officials are the worst.

OnTheWarpath58
06-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Actually there is only 1 reason. No one watches hockey.

You know I was bored tonight and was going to watch the game and low and behold the NHL Stanley Cup Finals is not on any of the big 4 networks or ESPN. How the fuck can that be and how do they plan on attracting more viewers?

The first two games were in Primetime on NBC, and tonight's was on Versus.

Both broadcasts are better than anything that ESPN has ever produced hockey-wise.

Frazod
06-02-2010, 09:49 PM
NFL. They f*ck up all the time. They just have the luxury of having instant reply. NFL by a MILE

The amazing thing is how often they still fuck up despite having instant replay. I have no doubt that NFL officials routinely deliberately affect the outcome of close games.

dirk digler
06-02-2010, 09:50 PM
The first two games were in Primetime on NBC, and tonight's was on Versus.

Both broadcasts are better than anything that ESPN has ever produced hockey-wise.

Well at least it was on national TV for 2 nights. I just don't get how they can expect to draw the casual fan showing it on Versus. If I had cable they don't even have that channel.

And I have no doubt the broadcast was better than ESPN. I like watching the NBA on TNT much better than ESPN or ABC.

KCtotheSB
06-02-2010, 10:53 PM
The NBA's officiating ruins what little watchability basketball had for me.

jidar
06-03-2010, 07:40 AM
I don't know why they don't just replace umpires in MLB with technology. They could have a perfectly consistent strike zone with a camera and a computer and then one guy in a booth with a replay camera making all of the calls.

MOhillbilly
06-03-2010, 07:59 AM
That motherfuckin nfl ref from spfld used to fuck us w/ phantom holding and PI calls every time he did a KC game. Fuck that guy. smug son of a bitch!

DaKCMan AP
06-03-2010, 08:02 AM
All of the above.

DonTellMeShowMe
06-03-2010, 08:04 AM
NBA is the worst...sometimes it is hardly watchable...seeing Gasol screaming everytime he goes for a putback, they call a foul. It's pretty annoying

DaKCMan AP
06-03-2010, 08:06 AM
NBA is the worst...sometimes it is hardly watchable...seeing Gasol screaming everytime he goes for a putback, they call a foul. It's pretty annoying

I call that move the Ostrich.

http://ufrsports.com/review/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/PauGasol.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2412/2255087387_7b34f1f714.jpg?v=0

loochy
06-03-2010, 08:20 AM
The NBA is so bad...its so obviously crooked that its just ridiculous.

First of all, how in the world can they justify giving calls to superstars but not to normal players? WTF does it matter? A foul is a foul, a travel is a travel, a double dribble is a double dribble. Yet time and time again the NBA refs look the other way when "superstars" do something. I've seen Dirk get away with moving his pivot foot about a jillion times and I've seen Dwayne Wade take 3 steps or take 3 steps and then jump stop.

Secondly, the NBA refs make makeup calls like crazy. I recall watching the series between the Mavs and the Spurs. Somehow when Duncan got called for a foul at one end Nowitzki instantly got called for some BS call at the other end (or vice versa). Oh no, we can't have one star get a foul without calling a foul on the other one too! This happened at least 6 or 7 times in the series. Also, I've noticed plenty of bad calls, then a made up BS call at the other end just to atone for the first bad call.

Thirdly, the NBA refs let the pace of the game dictate their calls. When a team gets on a roll and starts hitting shots, somehow EVERYTHING the other team does results in an offensive foul, charging, or an and 1.

Fourth, the NBA refs change how they call the game DURING the game. Somehow fouls that were called at the beginning of the game go uncalled at the end. A foul is a foul, right? Why would it change? It sucks that these refs get away with changing the rules when they feel like it.

This is why the NBA refs suck and this is why I really think the NBA is rigged to some extent.

DJJasonp
06-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Got to be the NFL.

The NBA is rigged, so you cant blame officials for the "direction" or "flow" of a game - it's all decided beforehand.

Mr. Laz
06-03-2010, 09:23 AM
NBA officials are some corrupt mofos and clearly let their personal opinions of the players effect the game. They can decide a game pretty easily. Get a guy in foul trouble early and it changes the entire energy of the game. Each time down the court on both ends the NBA refs control the game.

other refs make mistakes but NBA refs control the game ... the only thing that comes close imo is balls and strikes by the home plate ump.

MOhillbilly
06-03-2010, 09:30 AM
tell me this cocksucker isnt smug. We would be gettin smoked and hed still fuck KC.
http://www.football-refs.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/610x-14.jpg

raybec 4
06-03-2010, 09:58 AM
I was watching a WhiteSox game the other day where Joe West just completely carried out a personal grudge he's been holding against Ozzie. Having said that I still think it's the NBA.

PunkinDrublic
06-03-2010, 10:20 AM
NBA refs. They're the reason Dwayne Wade has that fraud of a championship in Miami. The refs get away with it in the NBA because they know David Stern won't hold them accountable. Tim Donahey wasn't an exception I believe there are more like him currently officiating.

DaKCMan AP
06-03-2010, 11:25 AM
NBA refs. They're the reason Dwayne Wade has that fraud of a championship in Miami.

:deevee:

You shut your mouth!

lostcause
06-03-2010, 11:28 AM
1988 Olympic Boxing judges possibly.... Followed as a close second by 1972 Olympic Basketball officials.

Johnny Vegas
06-03-2010, 11:30 AM
mlb. the ump on the mariners vs twins game last night fucked me on a 5 team parlay and cost me $3,200 because he called a guy safe on an obvious out which caused the lead runner to score ending the game.

lostcause
06-03-2010, 11:31 AM
mlb. the ump on the mariners vs twins game last night ****ed me on a 5 team parlay and cost me $3,200 because he called a guy safe on an obvious out which caused the lead runner to score ending the game.

This is why we don't play parlays... Bad call aside, instead of going 4-1 on the day, you went 0-1. Better luck in the future

Johnny Vegas
06-03-2010, 11:35 AM
the parlay isn't bad to play. Just how many you pick really. My parlay paid 32/1 so really I was only in $100 and not anymore. Thats a lot of will power for me when in Vegas. lol

PunkinDrublic
06-03-2010, 12:03 PM

You shut your mouth!

You know damn well that's the only reason Miami won. The refs called a foul on anybody who came within 5 feet of Wade.

DaKCMan AP
06-03-2010, 12:12 PM
You know damn well that's the only reason Miami won. The refs called a foul on anybody who came within 5 feet of Wade.

Wade > Dallas

Detoxing
06-03-2010, 12:16 PM
NBA and it's not even debateable. NBA officiating ruins the sport. To me, it's not about the amount of calls that are made, but rather the inconsistancy of the calls. I can understand officiating crews differing in the way they call the game, but the inconsistancy withing a crew in one game just blows my mind.

And the old, slow officials in the MLB are creeping up as well.

PunkinDrublic
06-03-2010, 12:20 PM

Wade > Dallas

Wade/ Refs > Dallas

Enjoy your fraud of a championship.

DaKCMan AP
06-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Wade/ Refs > Dallas

Enjoy your fraud of a championship.

http://www.allcanes.com/blog/uploaded_images/heat_champs-777955.jpg