View Full Version : Other Sports Selig wont reverse the call

Archie F. Swin
06-03-2010, 01:00 PM
NEW YORK (AP) - Commissioner Bud Selig will not reverse call
that cost Armando Galarraga a perfect game

DeezNutz
06-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Of course not.

Sniveling little wusses don't make decisions that require initiative and backbone.

L.A. Chieffan
06-03-2010, 01:12 PM
the winner of next years all-star game will determine replay rules

Frazod
06-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Way to put your finger on the pulse of the nation and totally ignore it. Nice work as always, Bud. 4321

|Zach|
06-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Right decision IMO.

Brainiac
06-03-2010, 01:17 PM
I don't really have a problem with him not reversing the call. Being awarded a perfect game several days later can hardly compare with the exhilaration Gallaraga would have felt if the call had been made correctly at the time.

What they really need is some sort of instant replay challenge system so that they can get the call right at the time.

alpha_omega
06-03-2010, 01:18 PM
I am no Selig fan, but i approve of the decision to leave it as it was called.

CaliforniaChief
06-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Just as everyone knows Bonds doesn't deserve to be the HR king, everyone knows that Galarraga threw a perfect game. A 28-out perfect game...the first ever.

Deberg_1990
06-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Right decision IMO.

Explain please?

Deford explains it pretty well here. I agree.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/frank_deford/06/03/deford.galarraga/index.html?eref=sihp

Just as simple is what Commissioner Bud Selig should do: employ that fiat that comes with his position -- "for the good of the game" -- overrule the umpire, and give Galarraga what we all already know he has: a perfect game.

This is the one extraordinary case in all baseball history. If Selig simply says the game ends with the 27th batter out at first base **-- which he was -- nothing else is affected. If it had been the 25th batter or the 26th, no, you couldn't do it. If there was any doubt at all about the call at first base, no, you couldn't do it. If anybody -- the umpire, the batter, Ebeneezer Scrooge **-- if anybody in the world disputed it, no, you couldn't do it.

But there is no problem. Giving Galarraga his perfect game is the right thing to do, and it has no adverse affect, nor any affect on history. It's called a gimme, Mr. Commissioner.

sedated
06-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Its a slippery slope when you start changing history.

gblowfish
06-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Bud's a tool, but you have to leave it as called. The ump blew the call. Blown calls happen in baseball. That's the way it goes. Sad, but it's life.

It's not like it cost Detroit a World Series game or anything serious....

The ump (Jim Joyce) admitted he was wrong and apologized. That was all the man could do. I feel bad for him. He's a class act.

I feel bad for the pitcher. It's a shame, but in some ways, it may make him famous as the most perfect non-perfect pitcher ever.

Bud is a drooling milktoast stuffed suit, and should retire. He's been on my list ever since he let the All Star game end in a tie.

ChiTown
06-03-2010, 01:22 PM
It's the right move.

Frazod
06-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Just as everyone knows Bonds doesn't deserve to be the HR king, everyone knows that Galarraga threw a perfect game. A 28-out perfect game...the first ever.

Hootie will be along shortly to ball-tap you.

Demonpenz
06-03-2010, 01:27 PM
If I find anyone in this thread that has been involved with any "OH GOSH THIS IS THE PUSSFICATION OF AMERICA EVERYONE GETS A RIBBON BLA BLA" then you loose my respect. This is a clear cut...sorry pal...life sucks sometimes. Use it as a blessing or a curse. To give him the perfect game now seems like the "Derrr you are retarded you can't handle bad events...here is a ribbon"

dirk digler
06-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Its a slippery slope when you start changing history.

The ump changed history

Chiefs Rool
06-03-2010, 01:33 PM
ahh screw it, MLB baseball is a joke anyways.

Brainiac
06-03-2010, 01:34 PM
I think the Jim Leyland should have officially protested the game. I realize that you can't really protest judgment calls and protests are dropped if the protesting team wins the game, but if he HAD protested it, Selig would have had to either uphold or deny the protest. It just seems that it would have made it a lot easier for Selig to take some action.

If the Royals had not protested when George Brett was called out after hitting the pine tar home run, Lee MacPhail would not have reversed Tim McClelland's decision to call Brett out.

KCUnited
06-03-2010, 01:34 PM
They play KC 12 more times this year, its not all doom and gloom.

Hays
06-03-2010, 01:36 PM
I don't think he should change it. Human Error that is BASEBALL

Baseball is sticking to its roots.

And me as a Cardinal fan will tell you Human Error is part of the game! (Damn Royals!!!!)

Brainiac
06-03-2010, 01:36 PM
The ump changed history

The ump didn't set a precedent.

What's next? Should the commissioner say Denkinger blew the call in 1985 and call Jorge Orta out at first base?

petegz28
06-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Right decision IMO.

Agreed

DaKCMan AP
06-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Ok.

Saulbadguy
06-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Meh, who gives a flying fuck?

Steron
06-03-2010, 01:42 PM
I agree with Selig. It's a crappy situation but without instant replay there isn't much he can do. If he reverses this call it opens the floodgates for inquiries as to why he didn't reverse such and such call.

Deberg_1990
06-03-2010, 01:43 PM

What's next? Should the commissioner say Denkinger blew the call in 1985 and call Jorge Orta out at first base?

Apples and oranges IMO.

Orta wasnt a final out oppurtunity.

Last night is a completely unprecedented unique situation.

But yea, Selig doesnt have the stones to make any sort of call. Typical.

DaKCMan AP
06-03-2010, 01:44 PM
But yea, Selig doesnt have the stones to make any sort of call. Typical.

He's making the call to not reverse it.

Fish
06-03-2010, 01:46 PM
I think he should have changed it. But at the same time, this "perfect game" will be remembered more than other legit ones because of the controversy...

Deberg_1990
06-03-2010, 01:46 PM
He's making the call to not reverse it.

Yes because its the easy way out and its the "business as usual" decision.

petegz28
06-03-2010, 01:47 PM

The right call was made on the wrong call. I do not see a need to reverse it. That's how baseball goes.

BWillie
06-03-2010, 01:48 PM
NEW YORK (AP) - Commissioner Bud Selig will not reverse call
that cost Armando Galarraga a perfect game

He shouldn't reverse the call. They don't do it in baseball. If he reversed this call, then everybody would want their calls reversed and it would open the flood gates. All they need to do is get instant reply to determine close outs and homeruns. Balls and strikes left to the umps is fine.

DaKCMan AP

But that's still making a call.

kysirsoze
Definitely can't give him a perfect, but what about calling it an error and awarding him a no-hitter. Really, if the ump ruled that he didn't get his foot down, that should be an error on Galarraga. Seems consistent to me.

dirk digler

It is not changing the outcome of the game.

New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi said he thinks it's worth another look.

"I think it's something that baseball should look at possibly because if they do change it, it doesn't affect the game. It doesn't affect the outcome." he said after a 9-1 win over Baltimore. "I know it will be the first time that it's ever happened but you're talking about a very unusual circumstance."

Deberg_1990
06-03-2010, 01:52 PM
That's how baseball goes.

Why does everyone use this excuse?? Why do we just accept that when we have the technology to change?

I dont get it? I guess i just dont see the logic? But i guess this is how the majority of fans feel.....

Chocolate Hog
06-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Selig is a great reason why baseball sucks.

Chiefs Rool
06-03-2010, 01:56 PM
I'm fine with him not reversing the call. But they need to do 2 things: 1. Get instant replay, this is why you need it. 2. Investigate why he made the call, because it was obviously intentional, no ref who has that much experience would honestly make a call that bad.

CosmicPal
06-03-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm fine with him not reversing the call. But they need to do 2 things: 1. Get instant replay, this is why you need it. 2. Investigate why he made the call, because it was obviously intentional, no ref who has that much experience would honestly make a call that bad.

WTF!

Let me get this straight: You think he intentionally called him safe to ruin a no-hitter? You believe the umpire blatantly made a bad call on purpose to destroy the integrity of the game and negate a no-hitter?

And you're okay with not reversing the call!!??!!

DaKCMan AP
06-03-2010, 02:04 PM
it was obviously intentional, no ref who has that much experience would honestly make a call that bad.

Disagree.

petegz28

You haven't watched much baseball then. Bad calls are made often.

'Hamas' Jenkins
This isn't legal precedent, dumbasses, it's common fucking sense.

DaKCMan AP
06-03-2010, 02:06 PM
This isn't legal precedent, dumbasses, it's common ****ing sense.

So?

blaise
06-03-2010, 02:07 PM
He can't reverse the call. There was another batter afterwards that's in the record books. I guess he could say, "hey you have a perfect game" but the scoring of the game is what it was. What are you going to do about the last out, just erase it?

CosmicPal
06-03-2010, 02:10 PM
He can't reverse the call. There was another batter afterwards that's in the record books. I guess he could say, "hey you have a perfect game" but the scoring of the game is what it was. What are you going to do about the last out, just erase it?

There wouldn't have been another batter had the right call been made.

Chief Henry
06-03-2010, 02:11 PM
I guess what I would like to know is what did the ump see that made him call the guy safe ? What was he seeing or hearing to make that call. Did he heare the runners foot hit the base prior to the ball hitting the glove ?

The replays clearly show the runner was out by at least a 1/2 step. What did the ump see for him to make that brutal call ?

DaKCMan AP
06-03-2010, 02:12 PM
I guess what I would like to know is what did the ump see that made him call the guy safe ? What was he seeing or hearing to make that call. Did he heare the runners foot hit the base prior to the ball hitting the glove ?

The replays clearly show the runner was out by at least a 1/2 step. What did the ump see for him to make that brutal call ?

It doesn't matter.

ClevelandBronco
06-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Explain please?

Deford explains it pretty well here. I agree.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/frank_deford/06/03/deford.galarraga/index.html?eref=sihp

Just as simple is what Commissioner Bud Selig should do: employ that fiat that comes with his position -- "for the good of the game" -- overrule the umpire, and give Galarraga what we all already know he has: a perfect game.

This is the one extraordinary case in all baseball history. If Selig simply says the game ends with the 27th batter out at first base **-- which he was -- nothing else is affected. If it had been the 25th batter or the 26th, no, you couldn't do it. If there was any doubt at all about the call at first base, no, you couldn't do it. If anybody -- the umpire, the batter, Ebeneezer Scrooge **-- if anybody in the world disputed it, no, you couldn't do it.

But there is no problem. Giving Galarraga his perfect game is the right thing to do, and it has no adverse affect, nor any affect on history. It's called a gimme, Mr. Commissioner.

That's why Frank Deford is Frank Deford. And Frank Deford is 100% correct.

blaise
06-03-2010, 02:14 PM
There wouldn't have been another batter had the right call been made.

I know, but there was. You can't just take an AB out of the record books. It happened. A perfect game isn't an award you win. It's the score sheet of the game that shows there was 27 up and down, no walks, no errors. There was 28 batters. You can't just take an eraser for the 28th AB. It happened.

ClevelandBronco
06-03-2010, 02:15 PM
I think the Jim Leyland should have officially protested the game. I realize that you can't really protest judgment calls and protests are dropped if the protesting team wins the game, but if he HAD protested it, Selig would have had to either uphold or deny the protest. It just seems that it would have made it a lot easier for Selig to take some action.

If the Royals had not protested when George Brett was called out after hitting the pine tar home run, Lee MacPhail would not have reversed Tim McClelland's decision to call Brett out.

The Cleveland Indians should do the right thing and protest the game.

dirk digler
06-03-2010, 02:16 PM
I know, but there was. You can't just take an AB out of the record books. It happened. A perfect game isn't an award you win. It's the score sheet of the game that shows there was 27 up and down, no walks, no errors. There was 28 batters. You can't just take an eraser for the 28th AB. It happened.

Sure you can

Chiefs Rool
06-03-2010, 02:17 PM
WTF!

Let me get this straight: You think he intentionally called him safe to ruin a no-hitter? You believe the umpire blatantly made a bad call on purpose to destroy the integrity of the game and negate a no-hitter?

And you're okay with not reversing the call!!??!!

yup, you don't want to start a precadent with reversing calls. But you have to take the matter seriously, because I think he goofed the call on purpose to ruin the perfect game for him. If there was some odds betting in Vegas that there would or wouldn't be another perfect game this season, you can bet your ass that's the reason.

ClevelandBronco
06-03-2010, 02:20 PM
yup, you don't want to start a precadent with reversing calls. But you have to take the matter seriously, because I think he goofed the call on purpose to ruin the perfect game for him. If there was some odds betting in Vegas that there would or wouldn't be another perfect game this season, you can bet your ass that's the reason.

I can guess your views on 9/11.

DaKCMan AP
06-03-2010, 02:20 PM
But you have to take the matter seriously, because I think he goofed the call on purpose to ruin the perfect game for him. If there was some odds betting in Vegas that there would or wouldn't be another perfect game this season, you can bet your ass that's the reason.

http://drbobbs.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/tin-foil-hat-3.jpg

CosmicPal
06-03-2010, 02:21 PM

Dude...the game was (should have been) over! There is no other batter.

This is unlike any other botched call in sports- this call occurred on what was supposed to be the very last play of the game.

I'm not saying they should reverse the call, but the fact is- there should not have been another pitch thrown, another batter, another play that was called an out.

CosmicPal
06-03-2010, 02:23 PM

Wow!

I'm utterly speechless.

blaise
06-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Dude...the game was (should have been) over! There is no other batter.

This is unlike any other botched call in sports- this call occurred on what was supposed to be the very last play of the game.

I'm not saying they should reverse the call, but the fact is- there should not have been another pitch thrown, another batter, another play that was called an out.

I know what you're saying, and I'd actually be glad if he reversed the call because the dude was totally jobbed, I just don't know if that's the right way to do it. I just the think the record book is the record book. It's not there to make a judgement, it's just there to tell, factually, what happened on that day.

Chiefs Rool
06-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Wow!

I'm utterly speechless.

oh come on, I guess you can say that I think baseball is corrupt, maybe I'm just tired of being a Royals fan, who knows.

Chiefs Rool
06-03-2010, 02:31 PM
I can guess your views on 9/11.

What is that supposed to mean? Them Muslim Al-Quada are undoubtedly at fault and that's why we are at war in Iraq.

BWillie
06-03-2010, 02:32 PM

You gotta be kidding me. How many games are there in a season? This guy umps less than 1% of them probably. Your logic makes no sense. If he was going to throw the game, he wouldn't wait until the last f*cking out to do it.

Chiefs Rool
06-03-2010, 02:33 PM
You gotta be kidding me. How many games are there in a season? This guy umps less than 1% of them probably. Your logic makes no sense. If he was going to throw the game, he wouldn't wait until the last f*cking out to do it.

maybe Galarrage pissed him off. Bad calls are made constantly over the plate, but very very very rarely at 1st freakin base.

Brainiac
06-03-2010, 02:41 PM
maybe Galarrage pissed him off. Bad calls are made constantly over the plate, but very very very rarely at 1st freakin base.

Dude.

Don Denkinger. 1985.

Do you even watch baseball?

GoHuge
06-03-2010, 02:45 PM
This morning when I heard about it I was thinking Uncle Douchedick should step in and make an exception on such an egregious call, but that is part of the game. It's the purest major sport IMO. It's good sometimes and other times I really sucks. I give these guys alot of credit because their job is not easy, but last night was a major **** up.

I found this on Yahoo and feel much better about it now. When an umpire has tears in his eyes and the guy that was on the recieving end of his screw up puts his arm around him and everybody involved gets a little closure I think it is pretty cool. A new corvette for 3 hours of work aint a bad thing either.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:28 pm EDT

Armando Galarraga receives a Corvette consolation prize
By 'Duk

Bob Barker and Rod Roddy couldn't have planned it better themselves.

In the wake of Armando Galarraga's(notes) perfect-game-that-wasn't, Chevrolet and the Detroit Tigers rightly decided that the jilted pitcher deserved a grand gift anyway.

So a new Corvette was driven behind home plate prior to Thursday's game with the Cleveland Indians and presented to the man who has been nothing but class in the face of Wednesday's disappointing and unjust finish. That'll ease the sting a bit.

Even better, the feelgood moments didn't end once Galarraga was handed the keys to his shiny new whip. With Jim Joyce scheduled to work home plate for the day, Galarraga then carried the lineup to the tearful ump and shook his hand. Joyce remained emotional and responded with a thankful pat to Galarraga's arm.

There was a mixture of cheers and boos during the exchange, but in retrospect, I think we should give a standing ovation to everyone involved. Joyce's blown call on what would have been the 27th out had the potential to be a very ugly stain on the game, but both Galarraga and Joyce have combined to put a positive spin on the situation. That Galarraga has achieved an admirable sense of serenity so quickly is really rather remarkable and there's no way to argue that he hasn't earned every mile he'll drive on that new set of wheels.

alnorth
06-03-2010, 03:03 PM

Really? If I was told to guess which call, aside from balls and strikes, is blown the most often in the game of baseball, safe/out at first base would be my first guess. It is also one of the most difficult jobs the umpires have.

Bad calls happen at first all the time, because close tough bang-bang plays happen there more often, by far, than at any other base. The batter is always forced to go to first, and the default option for any infielder is first base. At least 25% of every softly-hit grounder is closer than the one that was blown last night. Bad safe/out calls happen at first base several times a week. Its not that umpires are that bad, close calls just happen there that often and we routinely accept (after some griping) a bad call at first, except when it is late in the 9th inning.