PDA

View Full Version : Life If you could pick any state to move to...

KCChiefsMan
06-03-2010, 03:29 PM
If you could pick any state to move to, which state would it be?

Now let's use a hypothetical situation. You're financially ok (not rich or anything like that) at the moment, you won't have a job when you get there but you intend on finding a job/career after you move there. So it's a risky situation, but you feel like it will pay off in the long run.

Take into account how the taxes and regulations are in your desired state. How the cost of living is, the economy, the type of people. Basically you want to find the most appealing state to live in for a middle class person.

Don't factor in weather and tourist attractions, that has no bearing on your decision.

Now, which city in that state would be the best option?

CrazyPhuD
06-03-2010, 03:31 PM
The state of sanity. Unfortunately no place in the us qualifies right now.....

Count Zarth
06-03-2010, 03:32 PM
http://people.uwec.edu/CRUSANMA/Images/0-seattle_master.jpg

Perfect combination of city, wilderness, beach, climate and it's right next to a foreign country. And the awesomeness of California.

KCChiefsMan
06-03-2010, 03:32 PM
The state of sanity. Unfortunately no place in the us qualifies right now.....

I'm still trying to find the map to "The Beach."

Toadkiller
06-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Anywhere here in the Pacific Northwest, Seattle, Portland, I love it up here.

CHENZ A!
Puerto Rico
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate
Hawaii or Santa Cruz.

KCChiefsMan
06-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Anywhere here in the Pacific Northwest, Seattle, Portland, I love it up here.

What are property taxes like?

pr_capone
Arizona.

With all the riding I do the weather there is perfection for it. Depending where I move to the cost of living is pretty equal to where I live now and I am that much closer to the beach. The company I work for has offices there and I could transfer down without much of a problem.

That and they are running the illegals out of town.

pr_capone
Puerto Rico
Posted via Mobile Device

Why PR?

KCChiefsMan
06-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Hawaii or Santa Cruz.

you think you could make it in Hawaii with limited money and a middle class income?

Count Zarth
06-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Oh yeah, and my awesome uncle lives in Oregon.

http://i50.tinypic.com/14y5lyc.jpg

And my sister lives in Washington.

Bwana
06-03-2010, 03:37 PM
I'm here.....

DMAC
06-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Georgia

Sofa King
06-03-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm quite content here... otherwise i'd move somewhere with more consistently nice weather and just as much hunting and fishing...

perhaps Kansas or Texas :)

ClevelandBronco
I'd consider Montana, but I'd probably rather be in Colorado.

rockymtnchief
I'm here.....

+1

Toadkiller
06-03-2010, 03:41 PM
No sales tax in Oregon, no Income tx in Washington. Live/work in washington, shop in oregon. Best of both worlds.

Saulbadguy
06-03-2010, 03:41 PM
KCMO.

KCChiefsMan
06-03-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm not sure, but I think that the top choices for this hypothetical scenario would be:

1. Texas
2. Colorado
3. Oregon
4. Iowa
5. Washington

PunkinDrublic
06-03-2010, 03:46 PM
For years Iowa has tried to create tax incentives for people to move there so yeah you could move there and have a pretty comfortable middle class lifestyle. The catch it's fucking Iowa. No offense Iowans but if your not from there why would you want to move there.

Pablo
06-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Austin, Texas

I'll probably be there in a few years.

Frazod
06-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Probably Wyoming.

MOhillbilly
06-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Austin, Texas

I'll probably be there in a few years.

x2

KC native
06-03-2010, 03:49 PM
California, in particular San Diego.

CaliforniaChief
06-03-2010, 03:50 PM
I don't think you can take weather out of the equation. If I could live anywhere I would probably choose Texas. We had a great experience with the schools, family-friendly atmosphere, more personal freedom, and enough violent weather to satisfy this weather geek.

Cannibal
http://people.uwec.edu/CRUSANMA/Images/0-seattle_master.jpg

Perfect combination of city, wilderness, beach, climate and it's right next to a foreign country. And the awesomeness of California.

You might just be right about this.

KCChiefsMan
California, in particular San Diego.

California is not an option.

CaliforniaChief
06-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Let me elaborate...it would have to be one of the cities in Texas. We used to live in the Metroplex, so I'll choose Fort Worth suburbs.

SnakeXJones
06-03-2010, 03:52 PM
KS or MO

Frazod
06-03-2010, 03:55 PM

I love the area around Tahoe, but I'd have to win the friggin lotto to be able to afford to live there.

SDChiefs
06-03-2010, 03:56 PM

And why is that? Are you looking to move and want opinions and you don't want Cali?

CaliforniaChief
06-03-2010, 03:56 PM
California can be done on a middle income, but most likely not in a desirable area. But really, as mucked up as this state is, I'm looking for my release.

KCChiefsMan
06-03-2010, 03:59 PM
And why is that? Are you looking to move and want opinions and you don't want Cali?

I don't think it would be very affordable.

Guru
06-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Colorado Springs, CO Maybe even Pueblo.

Rain Man
06-03-2010, 04:19 PM
You'd want a state where incomes are above average, so you've got a better chance at making a living. You'd want a state that's growing in population at an above average pace, so your markets are always getting bigger. You'd want a state that's large enough that outsiders moving in are able to integrate easily. You'd want a location where the cost of living isn't insane, which honestly is most of the country. And my opinion is that you'd want to take into account the culture and environment - how well you'd fit in and how much you like physical aspects of the place.

If I wasn't busy at work I could zip up a list and see what states rise to the top. Truthfully, there are probably communities in every state that would be good, but on a statewide level you'd see some states rise to the top. My initial hunch is that Colorado and Oregon would rank high, and maybe Texas, Washington, Georgia, and North Carolina. But that's just my opinion, and not taking into account culture and your personal preferences.

vailpass
06-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Iowa, Colorado, Austin TX, Montreal, Puerto Penasco

burt
06-03-2010, 04:25 PM
I do believe I'd pick Southern Florida.......again.

Rain Man
06-03-2010, 04:25 PM
I thought about this a while back and had a brainstorm. Consider this thought:

No matter where you go, your pay for a given job likely won't differ a whole lot (setting aside obvious outliers like New York). If you work for a market research company in Colorado, it's probably not a lot different in pay in Vermont or Florida or Missouri.

But there's another way to earn wealth without particularly working for it: housing appreciation. If you get a job and buy a house as quickly as possible in a market that's appreciating more quickly, you end up with a lot more wealth in the long run than going to a market where prices are stagnant.

So imagine this: you move and get a job in some place where there's lots of growth and housing appreciation. You buy a home. Then in five years you sell out and get a job in the next city that's at the top of that housing appreciation list. Rinse and repeat. Making a 5 percent increase on a $300,000 house is $15,000 per year, compared to making a 2 percent increase at $6,000 per year. How much more money would you have to make in City B to save an after-tax difference of $9,000?

If I was a smart 22 year-old, I'd search for jobs in places with housing market appreciation.

Caveat: Yeah, the housing market stinks everywhere, but the plan still holds water.

Rain Man
06-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Iowa, Colorado, Austin TX, Montreal, Puerto Penasco

My wife just visited Iowa and raved about it. She went to high school and college there but hadn't been back in over 25 years, and said it seemed like it would be a great place to live.

ClevelandBronco
06-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Austin is high on my list, but I would never even consider living anywhere else in Texas.

Stewie
06-03-2010, 04:28 PM
I love the area around Tahoe, but I'd have to win the friggin lotto to be able to afford to live there.

You'd be surprised. There are towns on the Nevada side that are reasonable. Yeah, they're not looking over the lake, but you get all the benefit with a 15-20 minute drive. My brother has a vacation home in Verdi on the Truckee river. Beautiful! BTW, this is my choice, too.

DaKCMan AP
06-03-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm sticking with Florida.

I could go live in NYC or Chicago for a few months out of the year, but not the winter. I could go live in San Fran for a short amount of time, but not long-term. Didn't like Seattle. Loved Vancouver (although not in the US) but not during winter.

The OP says not to factor in weather, but that is a top consideration for me.

KCChiefsMan
06-03-2010, 04:31 PM
I thought about this a while back and had a brainstorm. Consider this thought:

No matter where you go, your pay for a given job likely won't differ a whole lot (setting aside obvious outliers like New York). If you work for a market research company in Colorado, it's probably not a lot different in pay in Vermont or Florida or Missouri.

But there's another way to earn wealth without particularly working for it: housing appreciation. If you get a job and buy a house as quickly as possible in a market that's appreciating more quickly, you end up with a lot more wealth in the long run than going to a market where prices are stagnant.

So imagine this: you move and get a job in some place where there's lots of growth and housing appreciation. You buy a home. Then in five years you sell out and get a job in the next city that's at the top of that housing appreciation list. Rinse and repeat. Making a 5 percent increase on a $300,000 house is $15,000 per year, compared to making a 2 percent increase at $6,000 per year. How much more money would you have to make in City B to save an after-tax difference of $9,000?

If I was a smart 22 year-old, I'd search for jobs in places with housing market appreciation.

Caveat: Yeah, the housing market stinks everywhere, but the plan still holds water.

Good stuff Rain Man as always, thanks.

SDChiefs
06-03-2010, 04:31 PM

The only things I have noticed that is significantly higher than elsewhere is housing and gas. Which is expensive don't get me wrong. But it can be done.

KCChiefsMan
06-03-2010, 04:33 PM
The only things I have noticed that is significantly higher than elsewhere is housing and gas. Which is expensive don't get me wrong. But it can be done.

I'm sure it can be.

Detoxing
06-03-2010, 04:44 PM

I think you'd be wrong. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else but here in SD. But, I would be down to give these cities a try:

Seattle
Portland
Phoenix
Dallas

Uh....that's about it really...unless someone showed me a real bitchin' tourist guide or something.

Here is the thing about California and particularly SD, yes, your mortgage and gas will be higher, but also remember, your pay will probably be higher as well. Not only that, but you get what you pay for. It's pretty hard to be bored in SD unless your only hobby is big game hunting.

For example, I live:

5 minutes for the "World Famous" San Diego Zoo
15 Minutes from Qualcomm Stadium
5 minutes from Petco Park
20 Minutes for SeaWorld
5 Minutes from Downtown Gaslamp district
1 hour from the mountains and trails
30-1 hr from fresh water fishing
10 minutes from salt water fishing
4 Shopping malls within a 5-20 minute radius
2 hours from Six Flags Theme Park
2 hours from Disney Land
3-4 Hours from mountain ski slopes etc
5-6 hours from Vegas
An Entire beach coastline

I mean...seriously... There isn't much that we dont have down here, and the cost of living isn't THAT bad.

Unless you're just another one of those people that hates Cali just because it's the cool thing to do; which is fucking stupid.

DJ's left nut
06-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Texas or North Carolina.

Detoxing
06-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Texas or North Carolina.

I use to live in Corpus Christi Texas. I HATED it. It's the only time i've ever gone to the beach, jumped in the water and still sweated.

Detoxing
06-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Texas or North Carolina.

BTW, that's the EXACT answer my dad would've given.....which is weird.

DJ's left nut
06-03-2010, 04:52 PM
I use to live in Corpus Christi Texas. I HATED it. It's the only time i've ever gone to the beach, jumped in the water and still sweated.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Ft. Worth.

Gets you away from some of that gulf humidity.

DJ's left nut
06-03-2010, 04:53 PM
BTW, that's the EXACT answer my dad would've given.....which is weird.

If Idaho would be his 3rd choice, you should probably double check your family tree.

Buck
06-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Denver, CO.

Detoxing
06-03-2010, 04:54 PM
If Idaho would be his 3rd choice, you should probably double check your family tree.

Lol. I don't know. But Texas and NC were his two favs. He only spent like 2 years as a child in NC and we spent like 5 yrs in Texas, but he swore up and down he was a "Carolina Cowboy" ROFL

Rain Man
06-03-2010, 04:58 PM
When my wife and I were getting out of grad school and figuring out where to target, we agreed on a big triangle with points at Minneapolis, Boise, and Austin, and said, "Anywhere in there". Not overly scientific, but it really kind of worked.

Mojo Jojo
06-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Northern Florida or Tennessee...great outdoors...and no state income tax!!!!

Gonzo
06-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Well, I grew up military so I've lived in the following places:
Nebraska, (three times)
Kansas
Illinois
California, (twice)
Indiana
Michigan
Georgia, (temporarily)

They all pretty much sucked. Cali was ok but I was there before the economy took a shit.

I think I'd probably live in New Mexico around the mountains. Great hunting and you can get away from any cold weather if you want.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
06-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Well, I grew up military so I've lived in the following places:
Nebraska, (three times)
Kansas
Illinois
California, (twice)
Indiana
Michigan
Georgia, (temporarily)

Posted via Mobile Device

Nebraska must have refused to surrender.

Pants
06-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Fucking Montana man, no question about it.

ClevelandBronco
06-03-2010, 05:16 PM

Almost nonexistent French population.

BucEyedPea
06-03-2010, 05:17 PM

Now let's use a hypothetical situation. You're financially ok (not rich or anything like that) at the moment, you won't have a job when you get there but you intend on finding a job/career after you move there. So it's a risky situation, but you feel like it will pay off in the long run.

Take into account how the taxes and regulations are in your desired state. How the cost of living is, the economy, the type of people. Basically you want to find the most appealing state to live in for a middle class person.

Don't factor in weather and tourist attractions, that has no bearing on your decision.

Well, I went from Boston to central Florida with no job but assumed on some sort of pay cut. Was wrong as to how much of a pay cut but I got into a larger, nicer home with a pool and not having to be in the rat-race full time so I can't complain.

However, I looked at Virginia, Seattle and almost Philly too.

vailpass
06-03-2010, 05:21 PM
My wife just visited Iowa and raved about it. She went to high school and college there but hadn't been back in over 25 years, and said it seemed like it would be a great place to live.

I'm pleased to hear that. Like everyting else it depends on what you like but having grown up there I love the people, I love the land and I love the lifestyle.

vailpass
06-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Austin is high on my list, but I would never even consider living anywhere else in Texas.

Oh god no.

OnTheWarpath58
06-03-2010, 05:22 PM
In no particular order:

Las Vegas Metro

Seattle

Vancouver, BC

Colorado, but not necessarily Denver. Haven't been there or done any research on the city.

HC_Chief
06-03-2010, 05:28 PM
In no particular order:

Las Vegas Metro

Seattle

Vancouver, BC

Colorado, but not necessarily Denver. Haven't been there or done any research on the city.

IMO:
Vegas gets old fast; not to say I wouldn't love having one of those pimped-out new condos next to the Bellagio. ;)

Oh, and my choice = Florida. Captiva Island, to be precise.

Seattle is great...in the summer. The mist and rain the rest of the year is depressing.

Vancouver is the *&#(*%@ing BOMB! :thumb:

I read somewhere that Denver gets more annual sunlight than any US city. I actually like it there (despite the stinking donkeys and donkey fans). I have had some good times in that city. :D

Oh, and my choice = Florida. Captiva Island, to be precise.

Rain Man
06-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Well, I went from Boston to central Florida with no job but assumed on some sort of pay cut. Was wrong as to how much of a pay cut but I got into a larger, nicer home with a pool and not having to be in the rat-race full time so I can't complain.

However, I looked at Virginia, Seattle and almost Philly too.

I've never been there so I'll confess to ignorant stereotyping, but I would have bet a billion dollars that Philly wouldn't have been mentioned in this thread.

Rain Man
06-03-2010, 05:29 PM
IMO:
Vegas gets old fast; not to say I wouldn't love having one of those pimped-out new condos next to the Bellagio. ;)

Seattle is great...in the summer. The mist and rain the rest of the year is depressing.

Vancouver is the *&#(*%@ing BOMB! :thumb:

I read somewhere that Denver gets more annual sunlight than any US city. I actually like it there (despite the stinking donkeys and donkey fans). I have had some good times in that city. :D

300 days of sunshine per year. Denver really is a nice place. I ended up here by blind chance, but highly recommend it.

HC_Chief
06-03-2010, 05:35 PM
300 days of sunshine per year. Denver really is a nice place. I ended up here by blind chance, but highly recommend it.

Yeah, I have a lot of friends there (and in hippieville, errrr, Boulder). It is a very fun city to visit; they certainly enjoy living there.

Denver is a lot like SF, Vancouver, and Seattle in that it has the best of both worlds: lots of natural beauty and "outdoorsy" stuff you can do, then, in the same day, metropolitan attractions (nightlife, shops, museums, and food!!).

Unfortunately it is just as far away from an ocean as KC, so it's a no-dreamworld-city-selection for me. I have to have an ocean!

OnTheWarpath58
06-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Actually, I need to add Whistler, BC to the list - even though it's just a 2 hour drive from Vancouver.

Rain Man
06-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Unfortunately it is just as far away from an ocean as KC, so it's a no-dreamworld-city-selection for me. I have to have an ocean!

I think people tend to be either mountain people or ocean people in general. (Maybe there are a few plains people and forest people - I haven't thought it through.)

I'm a mountain guy. Oceans kind of scare me for some reason. From tsunamis to sharks to drowning, there are a lot of ways an ocean can kill you, and it doesn't really care. You're kind of an ant compared to the ocean and can get stepped on without the ocean even noticing.

Plus, I'm not a huge fan of the ocean's smell. Don't know why.

Brock
06-03-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm sorely tempted to go to Alaska. It is easily the most beautiful place in North America.

sd4chiefs
06-03-2010, 05:47 PM
My wife and I moved from KC to San Diego 14 years ago. We love it here. I can play golf any time of the year. I just wish I did not suck at it so much. I can't think of anywhere else I would want to live. We are lucky that we bought a house when we first moved here. They are too expensive now.

Frazod
06-03-2010, 05:51 PM
You'd be surprised. There are towns on the Nevada side that are reasonable. Yeah, they're not looking over the lake, but you get all the benefit with a 15-20 minute drive. My brother has a vacation home in Verdi on the Truckee river. Beautiful! BTW, this is my choice, too.

In my line of work, I'm not going to make any money unless I'm in a major city.

And that ain't Reno.

sd4chiefs
06-03-2010, 05:53 PM
I think people tend to be either mountain people or ocean people in general. (Maybe there are a few plains people and forest people - I haven't thought it through.)

I'm a mountain guy. Oceans kind of scare me for some reason. From tsunamis to sharks to drowning, there are a lot of ways an ocean can kill you, and it doesn't really care. You're kind of an ant compared to the ocean and can get stepped on without the ocean even noticing.

Plus, I'm not a huge fan of the ocean's smell. Don't know why.

The ocean here in San Diego is cold and smelly. I never got into the surfing thing. When it rains guess where all the dog poop goes. :spock:

PunkinDrublic
06-03-2010, 06:15 PM
The legalized prostitution alone is enough to shoot northern Nevada to near the top of the list.

Gonzo
06-03-2010, 06:29 PM

This isn't a bad place to be really. I would prefer to be somewhere a little bit more scenic but my family's here so...
Posted via Mobile Device

boogblaster
06-03-2010, 06:41 PM
I like the fishing here in Kansas, but would like to live in Minnesota for it's fishing ....

CosmicPal
06-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Here is the thing about California and particularly SD, yes, your mortgage and gas will be higher, but also remember, your pay will probably be higher as well. Not only that, but you get what you pay for. It's pretty hard to be bored in SD unless your only hobby is big game hunting.

For example, I live:

5 minutes for the "World Famous" San Diego Zoo
15 Minutes from Qualcomm Stadium
5 minutes from Petco Park
20 Minutes for SeaWorld
5 Minutes from Downtown Gaslamp district
1 hour from the mountains and trails
30-1 hr from fresh water fishing
10 minutes from salt water fishing
4 Shopping malls within a 5-20 minute radius
2 hours from Six Flags Theme Park
2 hours from Disney Land
3-4 Hours from mountain ski slopes etc
5-6 hours from Vegas
An Entire beach coastline

I mean...seriously... There isn't much that we dont have down here, and the cost of living isn't THAT bad.

Unless you're just another one of those people that hates Cali just because it's the cool thing to do; which is ****ing stupid.

My grandparents, when they were still alive, lived in Rancho Bernardo and we used to make annual trips out there to visit them. Got to spend one summer month there and we did all of the attractions in San Diego- it was great fun.

15 years ago, I did this very thing: I picked 5 cities I thought I'd like to live in at the time. They were San Diego, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco, and Portland, Oregon. I spent a few months researching each one and sent out resumes. I landed a job in Boulder which was turned away the day before I set out to move there. Since I had a truck full of furniture and pretty much said good-bye to KC, I went to Denver instead. I scored a job a couple of weeks later and the rest was history.

When I got laid off in March of last year, I thought of doing the same thing- picking out 5 cities, doing the research, and starting all over again. Instead, I had a couple of former co-workers call me with the promise of a job in Florida and I sold everything to come down here. The job fell through and I'm so pissed at one of my friends for lying to me that I'm no longer talking to him. I have no job, very few prospects, an unemployment rate of 12 percent, and I'm struggling to keep smiling.

The difference- I was well prepared when I moved to Denver 15 years ago and had success. I moved to Florida last year on a whim and I'm struggling. :(

Now, I'd just like to find a job so I can stay here or I'll be moving back to KC pretty ***damn soon.

Dayze
06-04-2010, 08:49 AM
First Tier
Montana
Wyoming
Oregon

Second Tier
North Carolina
Arizona
New Mexico

blaise
06-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Kansas
Texas
North Carolina

I've lived in KS (Olathe) and TX (Houston and now the Dallas area). There's jobs in both places and growth. I think housing was maybe a bit more affordable in Houston. I've never lived in North Carolina, but I've been to the Raleigh area and it seemed like a very good place to live.
But, in all honesty, I'd probably say Johnson County, KS if I had to pick one.

kaplin42
06-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Colorado. Specificaly the Denver area. Yeah there are the annoying donks there, but the city is amazing, the people are cool, and the area itself has a ton to offer. It's actually my goal to move there in the next few years.

Reaper16
06-04-2010, 09:07 AM
I'd honestly want to stick in Kansas City, MO. I fucking love this place.

That said, the states of Washington and Oregon would be wonderful. If it weren't for the Broncos then I could mess w/ Denver, CO too.

Detoxing
06-04-2010, 09:26 AM
My grandparents, when they were still alive, lived in Rancho Bernardo and we used to make annual trips out there to visit them. Got to spend one summer month there and we did all of the attractions in San Diego- it was great fun.

15 years ago, I did this very thing: I picked 5 cities I thought I'd like to live in at the time. They were San Diego, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco, and Portland, Oregon. I spent a few months researching each one and sent out resumes. I landed a job in Boulder which was turned away the day before I set out to move there. Since I had a truck full of furniture and pretty much said good-bye to KC, I went to Denver instead. I scored a job a couple of weeks later and the rest was history.

When I got laid off in March of last year, I thought of doing the same thing- picking out 5 cities, doing the research, and starting all over again. Instead, I had a couple of former co-workers call me with the promise of a job in Florida and I sold everything to come down here. The job fell through and I'm so pissed at one of my friends for lying to me that I'm no longer talking to him. I have no job, very few prospects, an unemployment rate of 12 percent, and I'm struggling to keep smiling.

The difference- I was well prepared when I moved to Denver 15 years ago and had success. I moved to Florida last year on a whim and I'm struggling. :(

Now, I'd just like to find a job so I can stay here or I'll be moving back to KC pretty ***damn soon.

If you don't mind me asking, what is that you do for a living? There are plenty of nice communities out here in SD that won't cost you an arm and a leg; particularly in North County (slightly north of where your grandparents lived), which I think are the nicest communities in SD anyway.

This whole California "budget crisis" thing is quit a bit overblown for the average Joe. But, you really wouldn't know that unless you live here. And there really isn't a job field that you couldn't find out here.

BTW, CP, the only reason why I pimp SD so much is because so many of you have this stupid blind hatred for Cali. "oh noes, it's those evil liberal Californians destroying the world!"

When it comes to fun, amenities, weather, hot chicks, etc, I couldn't really imagine living anywhere else. There really isn't much, if anything, that we don't have out here. Anyone saying different either hasn't really lived out here or is just jumping on the "I hate Cali because it's Cali" bandwagon.

CosmicPal
06-04-2010, 09:55 AM
BTW, CP, the only reason why I pimp SD so much is because so many of you have this stupid blind hatred for Cali. "oh noes, it's those evil liberal Californians destroying the world!"

When it comes to fun, amenities, weather, hot chicks, etc, I couldn't really imagine living anywhere else. There really isn't much, if anything, that we don't have out here. Anyone saying different either hasn't really lived out here or is just jumping on the "I hate Cali because it's Cali" bandwagon.

I hear you there. I've been to San Diego enough in my lifetime to know what you're saying. I've seen that city grow exponentially with every visit. I have nothing against Cali, but it is funny because some of the Coloradoans biggest complaints (when I was living there) were the "Californication" of Colorado with the influx of transients from Cali moving to Colorado.

I'd move out there in a heartbeat, if I had a job. And speaking of which, I really don't have a vocation per se. I've been around doing whatever fell into my lap, but spent the last ten years working for a cable giant doing everything from sales to support to network survellience. Before that, I've managed one of the Midwest's largest golf retailers (it was sold to Pro Golf Discount and they didn't last a year in KC). I also worked with a pro sports team- doing sales/marketing/promotions/game-day duties/media relations, etc. I also managed a Quality Control department for an entertainment mecca. (Responsible for the termination of over 200 employees and revamping and implementing the company's training module.) Some folks might recall I started my own organic dog treats business. :D Never could get that thing going while working full-time and trying to do that out of my own kitchen in my spare time.

Since I've been laid off, I started and then sold off the remains of a successful online retail business and I've established a social media marketing program for a friend's fly fishing company- increasing their visibility and market potential. And I've written a novel! :D

It would be nice to say I'm just a doctor, but that's the mess of a resume I have for you.

Detoxing
06-04-2010, 10:08 AM
I hear you there. I've been to San Diego enough in my lifetime to know what you're saying. I've seen that city grow exponentially with every visit. I have nothing against Cali, but it is funny because some of the Coloradoans biggest complaints (when I was living there) were the "Californication" of Colorado with the influx of transients from Cali moving to Colorado.

I'd move out there in a heartbeat, if I had a job. And speaking of which, I really don't have a vocation per se. I've been around doing whatever fell into my lap, but spent the last ten years working for a cable giant doing everything from sales to support to network survellience. Before that, I've managed one of the Midwest's largest golf retailers (it was sold to Pro Golf Discount and they didn't last a year in KC). I also worked with a pro sports team- doing sales/marketing/promotions/game-day duties/media relations, etc. I also managed a Quality Control department for an entertainment mecca. (Responsible for the termination of over 200 employees and revamping and implementing the company's training module.) Some folks might recall I started my own organic dog treats business. :D Never could get that thing going while working full-time and trying to do that out of my own kitchen in my spare time.

Since I've been laid off, I started and then sold off the remains of a successful online retail business and I've established a social media marketing program for a friend's fly fishing company- increasing their visibility and market potential. And I've written a novel! :D

It would be nice to say I'm just a doctor, but that's the mess of a resume I have for you.

Kind of like me, lol. My resume covers a wide spectrum. But, it's great to be a jack of all trades.

gblowfish
06-04-2010, 10:14 AM
I've always liked Maryland or Virginia outside of Washington, DC. Close to mountains, close to ocean, close to major city life. Virginia reminds me of the Ozarks a lot.

Central California Coast would be OK, just south of SF and north of Monterrey. But EXPENSIVE!

I would NOT want to live in Buffalo, NY (crazy insanely cold in the winter) or in LA (too many people, air quality sucks).

blaise
06-04-2010, 10:21 AM
I've always liked Maryland or Virginia outside of Washington, DC. Close to mountains, close to ocean, close to major city life. Virginia reminds me of the Ozarks a lot.

Central California Coast would be OK, just south of SF and north of Monterrey. But EXPENSIVE!

I would NOT want to live in Buffalo, NY (crazy insanely cold in the winter) or in LA (too many people, air quality sucks).

Fairfax County VA is nice, and DC too if you're in parts of NW DC. But both are fairly expensive. You're right about VA though and that area. You can get to a variety of places in just a couple of hours. You can go to the mountains in VA, or up to Pennsylvania or to West Virginia, or go to the ocean the other way.
I've lived in Buffalo too, for 4 years. It's cold obviously, but it's not as bad a city as most people think. I enjoyed it there. I don't think I'd want to be there forever though.

kaplin42
06-04-2010, 10:26 AM

Agree and disagree at the same time. Cali is great for a lot of things. San Diego is probably one of the best places to live in the world. Great weather, great people, tons of things to do, and close to a variety of different types geographical settings.

That being said, I live in Los Angeles, it if fucking sucks here. I hope to move out of state because i don't want to be anywhere near this piece of shit county. The people here suck, vanity and selfishness are a way of life. Traffic, smog, crime, and general filth just coat this hell hole. I would think that most of the bad reputation of Cali comes from here.

As for the state budget, its pretty much in the face of everyone here. State income taxes went up, the state also takes more money out of your paycheck than it should so that it can bank it and make interest on it so that it can make its bills. It's supposed to give this money back to you when you file, but it doesn't. Sales tax in LA County is 10.25% up from 8.25% a few years ago. $19 Billion deficet for the fiscal year is pretty huge, and no one has an answer on how to come up with the money except to raise taxes even.

Phobia
06-04-2010, 10:31 AM
I've live in Boston, North Carolina, Virginia, KCMO, Iowa, and Houston. If I ever move again, it's going to be to the Hill Country of Texas.

burt
06-04-2010, 10:34 AM
I've live in Boston, North Carolina, Virginia, KCMO, Iowa, and Houston. If I ever move again, it's going to be to the Hill Country of Texas.

but I hope you will visit South Florida sometime!

Frazod
06-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Agree and disagree at the same time. Cali is great for a lot of things. San Diego is probably one of the best places to live in the world. Great weather, great people, tons of things to do, and close to a variety of different types geographical settings.

That being said, I live in Los Angeles, it if fucking sucks here. I hope to move out of state because i don't want to be anywhere near this piece of shit county. The people here suck, vanity and selfishness are a way of life. Traffic, smog, crime, and general filth just coat this hell hole. I would think that most of the bad reputation of Cali comes from here.

As for the state budget, its pretty much in the face of everyone here. State income taxes went up, the state also takes more money out of your paycheck than it should so that it can bank it and make interest on it so that it can make its bills. It's supposed to give this money back to you when you file, but it doesn't. Sales tax in LA County is 10.25% up from 8.25% a few years ago. $19 Billion deficet for the fiscal year is pretty huge, and no one has an answer on how to come up with the money except to raise taxes even.

Dane told me last week that Los Angeles doesn't have smog anymore. :D

CaliforniaChief
06-04-2010, 10:37 AM

That's about as funny as when I was interviewing for a job in Seattle and the committee was telling my wife that it really isn't that cloudy or rainy in Seattle.

Or a comedian's bit I heard on the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce talking about the heat being a "dry" heat.

Every place you pick is going to have some significant drawback/hazard, IMO.

lostcause
06-04-2010, 10:38 AM
I'm sorely tempted to go to Alaska. It is easily the most beautiful place in North America.

Alaska all day ftw... Unless you like pollution and population density.

kaplin42
06-04-2010, 10:41 AM

Well, Dane lied to you. Don't believe me, fly into LAX sometime, make sure its a daytime flight, its like sinking below a brown cloud of disgusting.

Detoxing
06-04-2010, 10:42 AM

That being said, I live in Los Angeles, it if ****ing sucks here. I hope to move out of state because i don't want to be anywhere near this piece of shit county. The people here suck, vanity and selfishness are a way of life. Traffic, smog, crime, and general filth just coat this hell hole. I would think that most of the bad reputation of Cali comes from here.

Holy **** dude, 10.25%? That sucks.

Admittedly, I haven't seen much of L.A. Mainly Hollywood and I thought that place was really dirty. I think that L.A is exception to California life style, not the rule.

SD is MUCH cleaner. SF is one of the coolest cities I've ever been too, and that county is really nice. Oxnard is real nice, open and clean. Northern Cali is BEAUTIFUL. The further north you go the better it gets, especially when you get up to the Redwoods. I don't wanna bash L.A because I haven't seen all of it, but from what I have seen, I'd have to agree with you. Bad air quality, dirty streets and...uhm..."strange" citizens.

And I think we may be on different sides of the financial spectrum here. I don't get taxed much from the State and our sales tax is much lower than yours. I think if you were to move either south or north or where you are now, you'd be much happier.

SDChiefs
06-04-2010, 10:42 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what is that you do for a living? There are plenty of nice communities out here in SD that won't cost you an arm and a leg; particularly in North County (slightly north of where your grandparents lived), which I think are the nicest communities in SD anyway.

This whole California "budget crisis" thing is quit a bit overblown for the average Joe. But, you really wouldn't know that unless you live here. And there really isn't a job field that you couldn't find out here.

This

burt
06-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Well, Dane lied to you. Don't believe me, fly into LAX sometime, make sure its a daytime flight, its like sinking below a brown cloud of disgusting.

Dane never lies! He even creates truth.ROFL

ClevelandBronco
06-04-2010, 10:44 AM
...the "I hate Cali because it's Cali" bandwagon.

FWIW, I grant the same exception to San Diego that I give to Austin. I couldn't stand living in California or Texas except for those two places.

SDChiefs
06-04-2010, 10:47 AM

I hear Verizon FIOS is hiring out here in Temecula. Pays well and lots of OT. Don't know if youre interested but you could look that up. Temecula is very affordable (Cali wise) and only 35 miles from San Diego.

Frazod
06-04-2010, 10:49 AM

He said he was more concerned about homeless people blowing cigarette smoke at him when he takes his kids to the park.

Seriously.

ROFL

SDChiefs
06-04-2010, 10:51 AM

The wind blows it east. Hence the reason why Riverside/San Bernardino has the worst air quality in the country. They say breathing it is the equivilent of smoking a pack a day.

Detoxing
06-04-2010, 10:52 AM
I hear Verizon FIOS is hiring out here in Temecula. Pays well and lots of OT. Don't know if youre interested but you could look that up. Temecula is very affordable (Cali wise) and only 35 miles from San Diego.

Very true. That whole area is very affordable for San Diego. Temecula is a fast growing community, and a lot of it is very nice. My uncle bought a 3 bedroom 2 ba house out there for 125K, which is unheard of for San Diego. If you don't mind the commute to Central SD, that's the place to be.

Not only that, but if you went to Temecula, you'd be much closer to Big Bear if skiing is your thing, and the Desert is right around the corner if you're a Motocross/Quad riding/desert camping kinda guy.

stumppy
06-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Couldn't answer your question as posed.
Anyplace I would move to would have to have decent weather and shit to do.

Frazod
06-04-2010, 10:53 AM
The wind blows it east. Hence the reason why Riverside/San Bernardino has the worst air quality in the country. They say breathing it is the equivilent of smoking a pack a day.

So basically you don't need to smoke because everybody smokes for free, right?

SDChiefs
06-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Holy **** dude, 10.25%? That sucks.

Admittedly, I haven't seen much of L.A. Mainly Hollywood and I thought that place was really dirty. I think that L.A is exception to California life style, not the rule.

SD is MUCH cleaner. SF is one of the coolest cities I've ever been too, and that county is really nice. Oxnard is real nice, open and clean. Northern Cali is BEAUTIFUL. The further north you go the better it gets, especially when you get up to the Redwoods. I don't wanna bash L.A because I haven't seen all of it, but from what I have seen, I'd have to agree with you. Bad air quality, dirty streets and...uhm..."strange" citizens.

And I think we may be on different sides of the financial spectrum here. I don't get taxed much from the State and our sales tax is much lower than yours. I think if you were to move either south or north or where you are now, you'd be much happier.

I have to agree with this. I love Cali and think SD and surrounding areas is where I wanna live for the rest of my life. But I hate LA and all it represents. Fun to go there for a weekend of partying but would never wanna live there. Never been to Northern California but have never heard bad things about it.

Detoxing
06-04-2010, 10:56 AM
So basically you don't need to smoke because everybody smokes for free, right?

No one is saying, "move to Riverside", it's pretty well known in So-Cal that that place is a dump.

It's like saying, "hey, move to Bakersfield", well maybe not that bad, but you get the idea.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-04-2010, 11:01 AM
you think you could make it in Hawaii with limited money and a middle class income?

I thought we were fantasizing here?

Kansas
Texas
North Carolina

I've lived in KS (Olathe) and TX (Houston and now the Dallas area). There's jobs in both places and growth. I think housing was maybe a bit more affordable in Houston. I've never lived in North Carolina, but I've been to the Raleigh area and it seemed like a very good place to live.

Why not just drink anti-freeze and achieve the same result? :)

DenverDanChiefsFan
06-04-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm not sure, but I think that the top choices for this hypothetical scenario would be:

1. Texas - no way in hell - I spend too much time there as it is
2. Colorado - YES
3. Oregon - yes
4. Iowa - no
5. Washington - yes.

KCChiefsMan
06-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Alaska would be intriguing as well. I haven't done any research whatsoever though on that state.

kaplin42
06-04-2010, 11:15 AM
I have to agree with this. I love Cali and think SD and surrounding areas is where I wanna live for the rest of my life. But I hate LA and all it represents. Fun to go there for a weekend of partying but would never wanna live there. Never been to Northern California but have never heard bad things about it.

Like I said before, SD is amazing. I lived down there for about a year or so. I love everything about it down there. If it werent for my fiancee being in school and me actualy having a pretty damn good job, I would at least be living down there.

LA just sucks, and it sucks so bad, that it is making me want to turn my back on the entire state. And Hollywood is a joke. I love when friends or family come in from out of town. They are so eager to go to Hollywood. They think that its going to be glamorous and that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie will be hanging out on some street corner just waiting to talk to them. Instead, it's filthy, trash and grafitti everywhere, and there some bums hanging out waiting to give them some Hep C. Makes me laugh everytime.

SDChiefs
06-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Like I said before, SD is amazing. I lived down there for about a year or so. I love everything about it down there. If it werent for my fiancee being in school and me actualy having a pretty damn good job, I would at least be living down there.

LA just sucks, and it sucks so bad, that it is making me want to turn my back on the entire state. And Hollywood is a joke. I love when friends or family come in from out of town. They are so eager to go to Hollywood. They think that its going to be glamorous and that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie will be hanging out on some street corner just waiting to talk to them. Instead, it's filthy, trash and grafitti everywhere, and there some bums hanging out waiting to give them some Hep C. Makes me laugh everytime.

I have to give it this, Not a Saturday night that I go to the Rainbow do I not see/talk to at least half a dozen celebrities. Thats the place to go if you want to meet them.

luv
06-04-2010, 11:27 AM
I would have to factor in weather.

KCChiefsMan
06-04-2010, 11:34 AM
I would have to factor in weather.

weather would be good. It's hard not to factor it in. But in this case, it doesn't really matter.

Pants
06-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Which state has a lot of female sex robots?

:p

underEJ

Sort of a relative thing. Compared to what it used to be, the smog is a thousand times better. In 1990, it hung daily, thick and brown, down to right about eye level of a 6 foot person. 20 years later, there are problem days, but it is hugely improved. There are now areas of town which are predictably very clear nearly every day. The smog abatement measures are clearly working.

Living in LA happily is about finding a place you can be close to most of what you need or want and get to the farther things you want or need in off traffic hours. I never sit in traffic because I simply plan to cross town at a time when it will be fast. I live and work within 10 miles, and am on a train line for going downtown. I don't go to the beach often, but if I have out of town guests, we just get up early to cross town and it's fine (though I tend to take them to Ventura for beaches, so really crossing the valley.)

The issue for most people with this tends to be the size of homes available close in to the city. Many prefer to live suburban and have the 4 or 5 bedroom house with pool, but then they spend all their time commuting and get angry. Or, they move here with beach dreams, can barely afford to squeak into Culver City or West LA which are like just a bit outside beach adjacent, and get frustrated in the worst city traffic.

DaKCMan AP

Your state of mind.

Detoxing
weather would be good. It's hard not to factor it in. But in this case, it doesn't really matter.

so your concern is more about money than anything right? If that's the case, yeah, you may want to aim at the midwest.

Phobia
06-04-2010, 11:41 AM
I lived in San Diego four months some time ago. The cost of living was fine but there were men in funny hats screaming at me 24/7. I really have no inclination to return.

luv
06-04-2010, 11:49 AM

Well, if you're talking economy only, I say somewhere in the Midwest. I might actually tend to look for a city similar to the one I live in now. Not too big or too small. Far enough out that you don't have the big city traffic, yet you're still close to things to do (amusement parks, sports teams, etc...not as tourist attractions, but for something fun to do without flying to get there). The COL isn't high here, but wages around here also tend to reflect that. If I were going to move away from here, but stay near the Midwest, I might consider Indiana, actually. Not sure which city, though.

sd4chiefs
06-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Very true. That whole area is very affordable for San Diego. Temecula is a fast growing community, and a lot of it is very nice. My uncle bought a 3 bedroom 2 ba house out there for 125K, which is unheard of for San Diego. If you don't mind the commute to Central SD, that's the place to be.

Not only that, but if you went to Temecula, you'd be much closer to Big Bear if skiing is your thing, and the Desert is right around the corner if you're a Motocross/Quad riding/desert camping kinda guy.

A house the same size in Del Mar, Ca. (just North of San Diego and has a view of the ocean) will cost you $800,000 big ones.

suds79
06-04-2010, 01:25 PM

Impossible. Weather plays a HUGE factor into why I'd move.

I'd probably choose somewhere in Texas. Maybe San Antonio. I hear they have a nice river walk downtown.

blaise
06-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Impossible. Weather plays a HUGE factor into why I'd move.

I'd probably choose somewhere in Texas. Maybe San Antonio. I hear they have a nice river walk downtown.

The River Walk is nice for about a day.

vailpass
06-04-2010, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE=blaise;6798799]The River Walk is nice for about an hour, then you look around the rest of the sleezy city and realize it's shithole where you have to press #2 if you want to hear it in EnglishQUOTE]

fyp

suds79
06-04-2010, 01:29 PM
The River Walk is nice for about a day.

:) probably true.

PunkinDrublic
06-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Kansas
Texas
North Carolina

I moved to Plano from Overland Park 9 years ago. Plano is essentially Overland Park with hotter summer weather.

Detoxing
06-04-2010, 01:38 PM
[QUOTE=blaise;6798799]The River Walk is nice for about an hour, then you look around the rest of the sleezy city and realize it's shithole where you have to press #2 if you want to hear it in EnglishQUOTE]

fyp

Couldn't be a Vailpass post w/o some stupid, dickhead comment...

Pitt Gorilla
06-04-2010, 01:38 PM
My wife just visited Iowa and raved about it. She went to high school and college there but hadn't been back in over 25 years, and said it seemed like it would be a great place to live.We love Iowa, but you really have to find the right place. I prefer the hillier, tree-covered areas and require a college town. Actually, east of 35 is much better than west.

Detoxing
06-04-2010, 01:40 PM
We love Iowa, but you really have to find the right place. I prefer the hillier, tree-covered areas and require a college town. Actually, east of 35 is much better than west.

Everytime I think of Iowa I think of Slipknot and Kirk Ferentz. Lol. Shrug.

CosmicPal
06-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Everytime I think of Iowa I think of Slipknot and Kirk Ferentz. Lol. Shrug.

I think of corn and the movie, Field of Dreams

blaise
06-04-2010, 01:44 PM
I moved to Plano from Overland Park 9 years ago. Plano is essentially Overland Park with hotter summer weather.

And more urban sprawl, I think. I think the feel of Overland Park is a bit better because KC itself is smaller than Dallas. Just my opinion though. I'm actually leaving Plano for Frisco this weekend, not that there's much difference.

jspchief
06-04-2010, 01:45 PM
For years Iowa has tried to create tax incentives for people to move there so yeah you could move there and have a pretty comfortable middle class lifestyle. The catch it's ****ing Iowa. No offense Iowans but if your not from there why would you want to move there. Per the OP, if I'm not factoring in weather and tourist attractions, it's definately Iowa. Safe, clean, low cost of living.

It wouldn't have been my choice in my 20s, but raising a family now, I can appreciate what Iowa offers.

jspchief
06-04-2010, 01:48 PM
And more urban sprawl, I think. I think the feel of Overland Park is a bit better because KC itself is smaller than Dallas. Just my opinion though. I'm actually leaving Plano for Frisco this weekend, not that there's much difference.My parents lived in Frisco for awhile, transplanted from the midwest. It's nice, but it's definately a cookie cutter suburb, where every strip mall (and there are lots of them) has the same stores.

blaise
06-04-2010, 01:50 PM
My parents lived in Frisco for awhile, transplanted from the midwest. It's nice, but it's definately a cookie cutter suburb, where every strip mall (and there are lots of them) has the same stores.

Oh it's that for sure. One thing I don't like about Dallas is the driveway in the back of the house and the alley. Then most back yards are like a little box with a fence around it.

38yrsfan
06-04-2010, 01:56 PM

California - Silicon Valley

jspchief
06-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Oh it's that for sure. One thing I don't like about Dallas is the driveway in the back of the house and the alley. Then most back yards are like a little box with a fence around it.lol. Did you buy my parents' house?

PunkinDrublic
06-04-2010, 01:58 PM
And more urban sprawl, I think. I think the feel of Overland Park is a bit better because KC itself is smaller than Dallas. Just my opinion though. I'm actually leaving Plano for Frisco this weekend, not that there's much difference.

I actually lived in the part of Plano near 121. Nine years ago 121 was a small little farm road where they were just starting to break ground on all that urban sprawl you now see.

RJ
06-04-2010, 01:59 PM
I've lived a lot of places. Big towns, small towns, hot, cold, rainy, dry, rich, poor, rural, urban......they all have their good points and bad points. Really just comes down to your own priorities.

SDChiefs
06-04-2010, 02:02 PM
A house the same size in Del Mar, Ca. (just North of San Diego and has a view of the ocean) will cost you $800,000 big ones.

At least. Del Mar is one of the most expensive zip codes in the country. Last I seen the average house there was over a mil.

Detoxing
06-04-2010, 02:04 PM
At least. Del Mar is one of the most expensive zip codes in the country. Last I seen the average house there was over a mil.

Yeah, that and Coronado. Doesn't Al Michaels live in Del Mar?

PunkinDrublic
06-04-2010, 02:05 PM

That whole north county area is stunning to say the least. If I won the lottery that's definately where I'd get a house.

Detoxing
06-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Yeah, that and Coronado. Doesn't Al Michaels live in Del Mar?

NVM, it was La Jolla that I was thinking of

blaise
06-04-2010, 02:14 PM
lol. Did you buy my parents' house?

Maybe, if they lived up near the soccer stadium and Dallas North Tollway.

Dallas Chief
06-04-2010, 02:17 PM

Watch out Fredricksburg! Here he comes!!!:p

SDChiefs
06-04-2010, 02:17 PM
NVM, it was La Jolla that I was thinking of

Del Mar, Corando, Rancho Santa Fe, and La Jolla you want to avoid unless you are loaded. A cheaper option thats equally nice, IMO, would be Encinitas. I would love to live there again.

Dallas Chief
06-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Oh it's that for sure. One thing I don't like about Dallas is the driveway in the back of the house and the alley. Then most back yards are like a little box with a fence around it.

It's not like that everywhere. Flower Mound and a few other cities around my neck of the woods all have front entry driveways and garages.

KCChiefsMan
06-04-2010, 02:21 PM

Plano is right up at the top of the list. It's very similiar to OP you say? That's not a bad thing I'd say. Colorado Springs, CO and Boulder, CO and Denver are up there too. I'm thinking about this with thoughts of 5 years into the future, I'm thinking these are "up and coming" cities and the taxes and cost of living are vey favorable.

SDChiefs
06-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Plano is right up at the top of the list. It's very similiar to OP you say? That's not a bad thing I'd say. Colorado Springs, CO and Boulder, CO are up there too. I'm thinking about this with thoughts of 5 years into the future, I'm thinking these are "up and coming" cities and the taxes and cost of living are vey favorable.

Ive never been to Plano but I have a friend that lives there and he hates it. Says the weather and people suck and there is not much to do but go to DFW. Loves Austin though.

vailpass
06-04-2010, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=vailpass;6798801]

Couldn't be a Vailpass post w/o some stupid, dickhead comment...

Easy there loser boy, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you like San Antonio fine but don't try to deny me the right to have my own opinion.
How's things in addict land?

Dallas Chief
06-04-2010, 02:27 PM

I'm here. And I am with Phobia on the Texas Hill Country. Anywhere between Austin and San Antonio and up to 100 miles East/West of each. Llano, Bastrop, Dripping Springs, Kerrville, Fredricksburg, Boerne, Lockhart, etc. All fine small towns. Friday Night Lights country. I plan on retiring to one of those eventually...

vailpass
06-04-2010, 02:28 PM
We love Iowa, but you really have to find the right place. I prefer the hillier, tree-covered areas and require a college town. Actually, east of 35 is much better than west.

Mount Vernon, IA

http://www.cornellcollege.edu/

blaise
06-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Plano is right up at the top of the list. It's very similiar to OP you say? That's not a bad thing I'd say. Colorado Springs, CO and Boulder, CO and Denver are up there too. I'm thinking about this with thoughts of 5 years into the future, I'm thinking these are "up and coming" cities and the taxes and cost of living are vey favorable.

Plano's good. I think one difference though is that almost all the real estate is developed. Overland Park still has a lot of land south near 175th street. It is similar though. McKinney is a nice town, if you don't need to commute to downtown Dallas, because it's a bit further out than Plano. But the town itself is nicer than Plano. There's a little village area with shops and restaurants, sort of like Parkville, MO.

PunkinDrublic
06-04-2010, 02:46 PM

The economy is good. Plus I was able to finish college at nearby UNT which has the cheapest tuition in the state.

memyselfI
06-04-2010, 02:48 PM
California followed closely by Colorado.

I've lived my entire life in KC with it's extreme weather and lack of tourist sites. If I'm moving then it's going to have MEGA natural beauty/tourist sites.

Spott
06-04-2010, 02:51 PM
North Carolina or maybe back home to Missouri.

jspchief
06-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Maybe, if they lived up near the soccer stadium and Dallas North Tollway.Not far. It was a Weekly home a couple of miles west(?) of the new soccer stadium. Of course, that narrows it down to 80% of Frisco. :p

I'm pretty sure Lamar Hunt owns that stadium BTW

Detoxing
06-04-2010, 02:53 PM
[QUOTE=Detoxing;6798817]

Easy there loser boy, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you like San Antonio fine but don't try to deny me the right to have my own opinion.
How's things in addict land?

Addict land? :facepalm:

I dont think you're capable of making a post that isn't judgmental or talking shit...

38yrsfan
06-04-2010, 04:02 PM
The economy is good. Plus I was able to finish college at nearby UNT which has the cheapest tuition in the state.

:thumb:

Graduated there also ... it was NTSU then.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Bugtussel.

vailpass
06-04-2010, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=vailpass;6798900]

Addict land? :facepalm:

I dont think you're capable of making a post that isn't judgmental or talking shit...

There are some soft boys on this board.

vailpass
06-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Bugtussel.

:LOL:

That's up past Hooterville by way of Petticoat Junction isn't it?

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-04-2010, 04:27 PM
:LOL:

That's up past Hooterville by way of Petticoat Junction isn't it?

Fuckin'-a! :thumb:

Anal.Fissure
06-04-2010, 05:14 PM

I'm doing this in 3 weeks and moving to Ventura, California. Hopefully I can find a job pronto or my fissure is gonna split wide open and hurt bad!

el borracho
06-04-2010, 08:06 PM

Gas? On average, Americans purchase about 500 gallons of gas per year. Even if gas is $1 more per gallon where you live, the overall difference is still negligible.

jspchief
06-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Gas? On average, Americans purchase about 500 gallons of gas per year. Even if gas is $1 more per gallon where you live, the overall difference is still negligible.Tell that to the idiots that phone into radio stations and check websites about who has the cheapest gas in town.

I have a 42 gallon tank. .10 per gallon still only saves me $4. Why f'ing bother?