PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Need advice on purchasing cell phone

Msmith
06-04-2010, 11:35 AM
My daughter will be a freshman in college this fall, 1 and 1/2 hours away from us. We won't need anything fancy in the phone, no need for on-line access.

What are some of your recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

sedated
06-04-2010, 11:37 AM
the cheapest one.

Detoxing
06-04-2010, 11:40 AM
the cheapest one.

This. But, if you don't get her a shiny new touch screen then she'll be the most uncool chick there.

Msmith
06-04-2010, 11:43 AM
This. But, if you don't get her a shiny new touch screen then she'll be the most uncool chick there.

She is going into a Christian college. Are the people over there that vain too?

Priest31kc
06-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Straight Talk from Wal-Mart. Best deal out there. 30 dollars for 1000 minutes, 1000 texts, 30 MB of web, OR, what I get, 45 dollars for Unlimited everything, minutes, text & web.

And its just a prepaid card, no contracts or anything. It uses the best coverage map, Verizon, I haven't lost signal ever yet. Its perfect.

TrickyNicky
06-04-2010, 11:44 AM
What carrier(s) do you have, or are you considering?

Msmith
06-04-2010, 11:49 AM
What carrier(s) do you have, or are you considering?

Beside the price, I also need your opinions on carriers also.

CHENZ A!
06-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Straight Talk from Wal-Mart. Best deal out there. 30 dollars for 1000 minutes, 1000 texts, 30 MB of web, OR, what I get, 45 dollars for Unlimited everything, minutes, text & web.

And its just a prepaid card, no contracts or anything. It uses the best coverage map, Verizon, I haven't lost signal ever yet. Its perfect.

45 bucks for unlimited everything? How much for the phones? Can you get your email on them?

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Detoxing
06-04-2010, 11:59 AM

Wouldn't doubt it. Just because they're christian doesn't....fuck it, im not going to turn this into one of "those" threads.

DaKCMan AP
06-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Wouldn't doubt it. Just because they're christian doesn't....**** it, im not going to turn this into one of "those" threads.

Darn..

Saulbadguy
06-04-2010, 12:03 PM

Pics?

Dante84
06-04-2010, 12:03 PM

Moreso

DaKCMan AP
06-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Pics?

Moreso

:clap:

cdcox
06-04-2010, 12:06 PM

People are people and kids are kids. Some of the kids are going to have the values of the school and some are not. You've raised her the best you can and now she is going out into the world and will live her life how she wants to. It's probably been a little tough for you to let go as she goes off to college, but now is the time to do that.

MOhillbilly
06-04-2010, 12:08 PM
get a cheap one incase you drop in the toliet or your drink or somethin

cdirty
06-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Cricket perhaps?

if its in the coverage area. its unlimited and fairly cheap.

Dante84
06-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Dixie has a two for one deal going on now.

ferrarispider95
06-04-2010, 12:18 PM
How did she make it through highschool without a phone?

Might not want pics.

Stewie
06-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Cricket perhaps?

if its in the coverage area. its unlimited and fairly cheap.

I will second this suggestion. I have Cricket and they've recently really expanded their coverage. For $30/mo you get unlimited talk and text. I've never had a problem with connectivity. I have the $40/mo plan that includes picture texting and mobile Internet plus many other features.

Saulbadguy
06-04-2010, 12:21 PM
How did she make it through highschool without a phone?

Might not want pics.

Very true. DO NOT WANT.

The Bad Guy
06-04-2010, 12:27 PM

Or in the hot tub with the 4 other co-eds.

Detoxing
06-04-2010, 12:29 PM

I think i've probably dropped at least 2, maybe 3 phones in the toilet....

Reerun_KC
06-04-2010, 12:31 PM
My daughter is heading to college this fall, she will be cheering there also. We all got Iphones to help us keep up with everyone. I set us up a new email addresses on a friends 2007 Exchange server. Use OTA for contact, calendar and mail sync. She is going to be extremely busy and we will want to see her cheer at everything we can.. So her putting appts on a shared calendar will help us a bunch.

Saulbadguy
06-04-2010, 12:39 PM
My daughter is heading to college this fall, she will be cheering there also. We all got Iphones to help us keep up with everyone. I set us up a new email addresses on a friends 2007 Exchange server. Use OTA for contact, calendar and mail sync. She is going to be extremely busy and we will want to see her cheer at everything we can.. So her putting appts on a shared calendar will help us a bunch.

Pics?

Reerun_KC
06-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Pics?

this is what the iphone looks like...

http://www.mapds.com.au/newsletters/0807/iphone_home.gif

Saulbadguy
06-04-2010, 12:43 PM
this is what the iphone looks like...

http://www.mapds.com.au/newsletters/0807/iphone_home.gif

Looks like a 1st gen. You got ripped off.

Reerun_KC
06-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Looks like a 1st gen. You got ripped off.

:cuss: The guy in the van, down by the river, said they were 4G....

Dante84
06-04-2010, 01:30 PM
I like google. Gmail is dirt-nasty.

38yrsfan
06-04-2010, 01:35 PM
http://www.phonescoop.com/

Coach
06-04-2010, 01:38 PM
It probably depends on what carrier you feel comfortable with. If you're in a major city, then carrier shouldn't be too much of an issue (Sprint, Verzion, etc) but if you're in a small rural town, then you may want to check on some of their coverages, as sometimes they may not cover the area that you and your daughter are located.

I think most cell phones companies will let you have like a 30 day trial, so I'd ask for that if they offer it or not. That way, you and your daughter will have a good idea of how's the service is, especially on the road trip from home to college, in case if she has a tire blown out or emergency purposes.

jspchief
06-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Get whichever phone you can get free or near free with a service contract. Add $5 a month to the bill for phone insurance.

Or better yet, as someone else suggested go with prepaid at least until you know which carriers provide good service in her area (not your current area). Then in a year or so, she should have an idea of what she wants/needs within the budget you set for her.

Msmith
06-04-2010, 01:53 PM
I checked on the Straight Talk site (http://www.prepaidreviews.com/straighttalk.html). The review is quite good.

memyselfI
06-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Buy her a $69.99 Kyocera phone with no contract via Virgin Mobile. Then purchase the $25 per month 300 minutes with unlimited text, web, and email. See how she does with this for a month or two and then if she needs more minutes you can bump up accordingly. Prepaid is good because she can't run up a bill.

The text will save you tons of money in minutes. Having internet on her phone will be good for her if she is living in a new city and will need directions or to find places.

If my kids were not on contract I would be doing this for them.

http://vmu.refresh.alpha.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phones

http://vmu.refresh.alpha.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phone-plans/beyond-talk-plans.html

Consistent1
06-04-2010, 06:12 PM
I am posting on a Straight Talk phone right now.It is the Samsung R451c.Not a bad phone, costs $100.MP3 player,real solid camera surprisingly,keyboard,use up to 2 gig micro card,etc.They even have a much nicer one now,but it's like 3 bills.The service is pretty good.Using some mobile sites like this one is fine.There are limits to that aspect though.E-mails and the like work fine.Text and pic messages work very well.My phone has had some calls drop lately.This is in Central Illinois,so that varies.The call drops haven't been frequent at all,strange with Verizon service.The $30 will cover most basic users with a lot to spare.The good thing is you can switch cards on given month.If needed go to a $45 for heavy use months.I have had the service since Oct.Up until May,I would rate the service a real solid A.Due to the few call drops lately, A- since.I have been staying about 30 minutes away from where it was flawless.Good service,hope it helps!
Posted via Mobile Device

PRIEST
06-04-2010, 06:15 PM
People are people and kids are kids. Some of the kids are going to have the values of the school and some are not. You've raised her the best you can and now she is going out into the world and will live her life how she wants to. It's probably been a little tough for you to let go as she goes off to college, but now is the time to do that.

Well said :thumb:

Fritz88
06-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Nexus one.

Priest31kc
06-04-2010, 10:10 PM
I am posting on a Straight Talk phone right now.It is the Samsung R451c.Not a bad phone, costs $100.MP3 player,real solid camera surprisingly,keyboard,use up to 2 gig micro card,etc.They even have a much nicer one now,but it's like 3 bills.The service is pretty good.Using some mobile sites like this one is fine.There are limits to that aspect though.E-mails and the like work fine.Text and pic messages work very well.My phone has had some calls drop lately.This is in Central Illinois,so that varies.The call drops haven't been frequent at all,strange with Verizon service.The $30 will cover most basic users with a lot to spare.The good thing is you can switch cards on given month.If needed go to a $45 for heavy use months.I have had the service since Oct.Up until May,I would rate the service a real solid A.Due to the few call drops lately, A- since.I have been staying about 30 minutes away from where it was flawless.Good service,hope it helps!
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep, I got the same phone. I've always wanted an IPhone, but this service is too good to give up. I thought it was too good to be true when I first heard about it, I was wrong.

3rd&48ers
06-05-2010, 03:38 AM
straight talk wireless from walmart

all you can eat text data and calls for 50 bucks a month
they use Verizon towers so they work anywhere Verizon does
tech support is slow but you probably won't need them anyway.

Guru
06-05-2010, 03:51 AM
anything from Net10 will work fine for you.

Jewish Rabbi
06-05-2010, 03:56 AM
What kind of high school senior doesn't already have a phone?

Guru
06-05-2010, 04:04 AM
What kind of high school senior doesn't already have a phone?I find it sad that so many people think that high school students need phones.

btlook1
06-05-2010, 05:42 AM
I find it sad that so many people think that high school students need phones.

I do to...neither one of my kids got them until 14....nowdays kids are carrying them in elementary school...wifey said there was one or two first graders that had them last year.
Picked up my neice at middle school a couple of years ago...most kids the first thing out the front door stopped pulled there phones out and turned them on...was kinda funny at the time! Kids are spoiled!

Priest31kc
06-05-2010, 08:19 AM
straight talk wireless from walmart

all you can eat text data and calls for 50 bucks a month
they use Verizon towers so they work anywhere Verizon does
tech support is slow but you probably won't need them anyway.

45 bucks lol. Hey 5 bucks is a big difference, especially over the course of the whole year.

Consistent1
06-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Net10 isn't bad IF you barely use it. And I mean barely. If you go through 600 mins in a month, you have spent $60 and need a refill yet again.You can do $30 ST card and have 400 mins left,1000 texts that DO NOT take away from call time and ability to send and receive a whole bunch of e-mail away from a computer.With a kid being away, they won't only use the phone to call home. Not realisitic.If texts are used, it takes away from your minutes too.Net10 is almost just an emergency phone to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
06-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Net10 isn't bad IF you barely use it. And I mean barely. If you go through 600 mins in a month, you have spent $60 and need a refill yet again.You can do $30 ST card and have 400 mins left,1000 texts that DO NOT take away from call time and ability to send and receive a whole bunch of e-mail away from a computer.With a kid being away, they won't only use the phone to call home. Not realisitic.If texts are used, it takes away from your minutes too.Net10 is almost just an emergency phone to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Personally I think Net10 is a good service to use to train kids how to monitor their talk and text time. Our son was begging us for a cell phone so for his 14th birthday we got him a Net10 phone as long as he agreed to pay for his minutes. He also has the understanding that when he runs out of minutes he has no phone until the beginning of the next month. He can only afford 150 minutes per month right now. He has already learned that he has to limit his texting severely.