PDA

View Full Version : Electronics What Android apps do i need?

healthpellets
06-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Finally got my android-powered phone, so for those of you with one already what apps are indispensable, great, good, or fun to have?

free is best, but if it's indispensable, then i might be willing to pony up.

thanks.

cdirty
06-04-2010, 04:55 PM
I use
Barcode Scanner (use to scan QR codes, upc ect)
FxCamera (i have a G1 and the stock camera app is sort of lacking)
Foursquare (pointless but fun)
My Tracks ( uses GPS to track your stats on a run or bike or hike. very cool)
Nestoid (and Snestoid and Gensoid for playing all the old school games on your phone)
Opera Mini ( I prefer it to the browser that comes with the phone)
PDAnet (use to tether to laptop to connect to internet. all for free if you have unlimited data plan)
Ringdroid (create your own ringtones from mp3s)
Scanner Radio ( listen to tons of police/weather/fire scanners from all over)
Shazam (hold to a speaker, identify songs)
Streamfurious (stream internet radio stations. there are a number of apps out there similar. all do about the same but none are stellar.)
Pandora (great music streaming)
Sirius XM ( just released, still buggy on Tmobile but hopefully soon it will get working better)
Wifi Buddy (the best wifi scanner ive found to work. scans all avaliable wifi in range connects to them)

Silock
06-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Android has Flash, therefore apps are useless.

phillip
06-04-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm jealous. Both Radio Shack and the Sprint store said the Sprint system was down and couldn't sell me an Evo.

vailpass
06-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Backgrounds
Google Sky Map
Compass

AustinChief
06-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Android has Flash, therefore apps are useless.

HAHA, I hope that wasn't aimed at me.. I'm a big fan of apps! I just don't like having to install one for every web video I watch... but apps are great in moderation. I have probably 15 or 20 installed on my Pre now... probably will have 20-30 when I switch to Android... would hate to have to got much more than that.

btw, I also freely admit that Apple is head and shoulders above Android in apps right now... but Android is catching up.. at least on the stuff most people would care about...

Silock
06-04-2010, 09:02 PM
HAHA, I hope that wasn't aimed at me.. I'm a big fan of apps! I just don't like having to install one for every web video I watch... but apps are great in moderation. I have probably 15 or 20 installed on my Pre now... probably will have 20-30 when I switch to Android... would hate to have to got much more than that.

btw, I also freely admit that Apple is head and shoulders above Android in apps right now... but Android is catching up.. at least on the stuff most people would care about...

Of course it was aimed at you! But it was tongue in cheek, obviously.

AustinChief
06-05-2010, 04:32 AM
Of course it was aimed at you! But it was tongue in cheek, obviously.
:D Love the fact that you bring a PROPER argument to the table... all in good fun! At least I hope it is understood to be.