PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Ribs without a smoker

crispystl420
06-05-2010, 01:39 PM
What is the best way to cook cook ribs without a smoker. Should I just go low and slow on the grill with some hickory chips? Should i use a water pan with this method? Should I just marinate the ribs overnight and go low and slow in the oven??

Thanks in advance for any advice

Baconeater
06-05-2010, 01:58 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=228882

crispystl420
06-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Shit How do I delete this thread.

Baconeater
06-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Shit How do I delete this thread.
Sorry, it's going on your permanent record.

BigMeatballDave
06-05-2010, 02:12 PM
My brother made some kickass babybacks the other day. He put a dry rub on them and baked them at 300 for 90 mins, then sauced them and baked them an additional 90. Very tender.

crispystl420
06-05-2010, 02:15 PM
My brother made some kickass babybacks the other day. He put a dry rub on them and baked them at 300 for 90 mins, then sauced them and baked them an additional 90. Very tender.

I think I'm gonna marinate them, throw them in some foil and cook them low and slow on the grill with some hickory chips,

BigMeatballDave
06-05-2010, 02:16 PM
I think I'm gonna marinate them, throw them in some foil and cook them low and slow on the grill with some hickory chips,Sounds good.

mlyonsd
06-05-2010, 02:21 PM
I think I'm gonna marinate them, throw them in some foil and cook them low and slow on the grill with some hickory chips,

You might want to cook them on the grill a little with the chips going before throwing them in the foil. They'll get a little smoke that way.

What I usually do is smoke them for 4 hours, wrap them in foil for 2 to steam them, then lather them in sauce and grill over high heat just to carmalize the sauce a bit.

Ribs are like chili, everyone has their own recipe.

crispystl420
06-05-2010, 02:30 PM
You might want to cook them on the grill a little with the chips going before throwing them in the foil. They'll get a little smoke that way.

What I usually do is smoke them for 4 hours, wrap them in foil for 2 to steam them, then lather them in sauce and grill over high heat just to carmalize the sauce a bit.

Yeah i was just considering at one point I should remove the foil so the ribs would absorb the smoke, and I think you're right i should smoke them first then wrap them in foil.

crispystl420
06-05-2010, 02:31 PM

I have a gas grill should I soak the chips and put them in tin foil and perforate it, or leave the chips dry??

mlyonsd
06-05-2010, 02:35 PM
I have a gas grill should I soak the chips and put thin in tin foil and perforate it, or leave the chips dry??

Interesting question. I use an electric smoker for that part of it so I don't know what would be best. Maybe someone else does.

What if you just put foil on part of the grate laid open with your chips on it? Maybe do your idea first and if you don't think you're getting enough smoke open it up. Dunno. Good luck. In any case I bet you'll like the outcome.

As far as soaking the chips I probably would. I use chunks though so maybe someone else that has more experience with chips has a recommendation.

crispystl420
06-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Interesting question. I use an electric smoker for that part of it so I don't know what would be best. Maybe someone else does.

What if you just put foil on part of the grate laid open with your chips on it? Maybe do your idea first and if you don't think you're getting enough smoke open it up. Dunno. Good luck. In any case I bet you'll like the outcome.

Yeah what's funny is I cook for a living. I have cooked for some vips in my life, but smoking is something I've never attempted. I don't know why but I just never had to do it for anything.

Baconeater
06-05-2010, 02:45 PM
I have a gas grill should I soak the chips and put them in tin foil and perforate it, or leave the chips dry??
If you use heavy duty foil and it's not in direct contact with a flame, then that should be adequate. Or you could get one of the smoker boxes I posted a picture of in that thread I linked.

Delano
06-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Buy some at Burger King. They are delicious.

mlyonsd
06-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Yeah what's funny is I cook for a living. I have cooked for some vips in my life, but smoking is something I've never attempted. I don't know why but I just never had to do it for anything.

I bet you end up buying a smoker.

crispystl420
06-05-2010, 03:04 PM
I bet you end up buying a smoker.

I bet I do too. I am suddenly intrigued.

crispystl420
06-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Buy some at Burger King. They are delicious.

Fug that noise

Stewie
06-05-2010, 03:23 PM
I do ribs on my grill all the time when I don't want to fire up the smoker. There's enough fat in ribs (and a huge surface area to meat ratio) that you can cook them at higher temp and they'll turn out great. Just throw some wood chips in foil, wrap it up and poke some holes in it and throw it on the fire. Season the ribs to your liking and grill away.

crispystl420
06-05-2010, 03:27 PM
I do ribs on my grill all the time when I don't want to fire up the smoker. There's enough fat in ribs (and a huge surface area to meat ratio) that you can cook them at higher temp and they'll turn out great. Just throw some wood chips in foil, wrap it up and poke some holes in it and throw it on the fire. Season the ribs to your liking and grill away.

Do you ever marinate them? I was gonna do a little cider vinegar, black peppe,r cayenne pepper, ancho pepper, garlic and oil.

Der Flöprer
06-05-2010, 03:42 PM
I marinate them overnight, and then cook them on 250-275 for 4-5 hours in the oven. They're fucking awesome.

crispystl420
06-06-2010, 11:08 AM
What internal temperature do you guys cook your ribs to?

Saccopoo
06-06-2010, 11:26 AM

Three million.

cdcox
06-06-2010, 11:33 AM

I never use a thermometer on ribs (I do on butt and brisket). Cook them until the meat is pulling back from the rib about 1/4" or so. When you grab two ribs and wiggle them, you should feel them pulling apart, but not falling apart. If they fall apart, back up and hour and pull them off then.

crispystl420
06-06-2010, 11:37 AM
I never use a thermometer on ribs (I do on butt and brisket). Cook them until the meat is pulling back from the rib about 1/4" or so. When you grab two ribs and wiggle them, you should feel them pulling apart, but not falling apart. If they fall apart, back up and hour and pull them off then.

I tried to coook them low and slow on my grill with hickory chips but withing an hour they reached 170 degrees I am wondering If i cook them further If they will become more tender or just toughen up. (I did get the heat on the grill down considerably by propping the lid open. Would you recommend cooking them real low and slow to 190 or just pulling them now?
Thanks for all advice

cdcox
06-06-2010, 11:42 AM
I tried to coook them low and slow on my grill with hickory chips but withing an hour they reached 170 degrees I am wondering If i cook them further If they will become more tender or just toughen up. (I did get the heat on the grill down considerably by propping the lid open. Would you recommend cooking them real low and slow to 190 or just pulling them now?
Thanks for all advice

I'd take 'em slow until they passed the doneness test I posted earlier.

I routinely take butts up to 190 in order to liquify the fat. I can't imagine ribs will be much different if you take them slow.

crispystl420
06-06-2010, 11:46 AM
I'd take 'em slow until they passed the doneness test I posted earlier.

I routinely take butts up to 190 in order to liquify the fat. I can't imagine ribs will be much different if you take them slow.

Thanks man

Saccopoo
06-06-2010, 11:53 AM
It's nearly impossible to get a proper internal "doneness" temperature on ribs, so cd's earlier advice is solid - watch the rib ends and when they pull back about a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch, they are probably good to go. I'd recommend taking them off at the 1/4 inch mark, wrapping them in foil, another wrap in a large towel, and put them into an airtight container like an old cooler or the like. Let them self-baste in that environment for about 30 minutes to an hour. (I do that with my briskets and butts and is mandatory on beef ribs.)

boogblaster
06-06-2010, 02:04 PM
grill your ribs with rub on them for bout 1 hr turning a few times .. then wrap in foil for another 2 hrs take out smear with sause on both sides for bout 15 minutes on each side ...