PDA

View Full Version : Misc Horseshoe pit

Fruit Ninja
06-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Anyone ever done one? I am going to be putting one in my backyard in the near future. Should be a fun little project, then have the fellas over playing some shoes and bbq/drinking and what not.

Anyways, any thoughts on people who have done it?

Bowser
06-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Using sand? I've heard you should cover it up to protect from stray cats.....

Fruit Ninja
06-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Using sand? I've heard you should cover it up to protect from stray cats.....

i have 3 ****ing cats, but ya, i will cover it up. Plus there are a few strays, and no, i wont anti freeze them. lol I dont know what i am going to use just yet. Me and my bro in law are still in the planning stages. i need to see if there is anythign on the internet i could use. I mostly just need measurements.

Bowser
06-05-2010, 01:12 PM
i have 3 fucking cats, but ya, i will cover it up. Plus there are a few strays, and no, i wont anti freeze them. lolI would never suggest antifreezing a cat. But I do hear that cats like to go on long car rides......

Good luck with the pit. Just don't puke in the thing after you've been out there all summer day drinking beer. :)

Saccopoo
06-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Don't box it in with wood. When a horseshoe catches an edge and goes flying into a child or other competitors, you'll know why you shouldn't have boxed it in.

Fruit Ninja
06-05-2010, 01:14 PM
I would never suggest antifreezing a cat. But I do hear that cats like to go on long car rides......

Good luck with the pit. Just don't puke in the thing after you've been out there all summer day drinking beer. :)

lol, someone would have said it, anti freeze is in every thread that has to do with a pet. lol

Rain Man
06-05-2010, 01:23 PM
You should go with bocce ball instead. Bocce ball is cool.

TrickyNicky
06-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Is this a side effect of playing Red Dead Redemption? Wanting to install a horseshoe pit?

Fruit Ninja
06-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Is this a side effect of playing Red Dead Redemption? Wanting to install a horseshoe pit?

lol, no, but i could see how that would be one. I was talking with one of my friends and he was wanting to put on in his yard then he said i should as well since we bbq and have parties for my nieces and nephews at my house.

vailpass
06-05-2010, 01:57 PM
When I had my pits I used clay so your shoe stuck right where you threw it.
If you want to use sand this guy has a free and easy plan that looks pretty nice:
http://www.horseshupit.com/Horseshoe_Pit_Builder.html

mlyonsd
06-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Horse shoes are a blast at a bbq.

Chiefs Rool
06-05-2010, 02:28 PM
I had the same big plans a few years ago of makin a nice horseshoe pit in the back yard. I got as far as putting the stake in the ground and playing a few games.

vailpass
06-05-2010, 02:41 PM
I had the same big plans a few years ago of makin a nice horseshoe pit in the back yard. I got as far as putting the stake in the ground and playing a few games.

Perhaps having a nice finished horseshoe pit will lead to many more enjoyable games then a couple of stakes sticking up from the ground?

Chiefs Rool
06-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Perhaps having a nice finished horseshoe pit will lead to many more enjoyable games then a couple of stakes sticking up from the ground?

damn right. I should do that. A few cold beers on a hot day, throwin shoes is some damn good time.

Bowser
06-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Great. Now I want a steak.

ElGringo
06-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Had a horseshoe pit in a previous house, clay is professional, but we just went down to the local river and filled it with sand (good enough for entertainment and beer purposes). I did box our pits in with wood, and never had an incident with shoes flying off and hitting anyone (well, maybe when we were drunk, but that wasn't the woods fault). Depending on your yard, you may want to look at some form of a backstop as the shoes can roll forever.

Rain Man
06-06-2010, 11:46 AM
If you went with giant lawn darts you wouldn't have to worry about people dragging their kids to your parties.

At least not more than once.

mlyonsd
06-06-2010, 11:57 AM
If you went with giant lawn darts you wouldn't have to worry about people dragging their kids to your parties.

We used to play lawn darts for hours when I was about 8 or 9. I think their danger was over rated. They wouldn't even stick in the roof.

L.A. Chieffan
06-06-2010, 12:03 PM
You should go with bocce ball instead. Bocce ball is cool.

This, and Washer Golf

Fruit Ninja
06-06-2010, 12:13 PM

i have 3 nieces and nephews 2 and under. Kids are going to be there, my best friend has a 2 year old daughter, my other best friend has 3 kids under the age of 10.

Whenver we have a get together, kids are there, its just the way it is. Me and my bro in law are building a damned swing set in the back yard, we need to finish it maybe today, but the Lakers game is on. lol its almost done.

I was like, heck, we got stuff for the kids in my back yard, i need something for the grown ups. haha

DaFace
06-06-2010, 12:15 PM
1. Find two metal rods.
2. Stick them in the ground.
3. Success!

Rain Man
06-06-2010, 12:47 PM
1. Find two metal rods.
2. Stick them in the ground.
3. Success!

Y'know, the more I think about it, this is a good idea. It would be very versatile depending on their size. If you made them really, really tall, they could not only be used for horseshoes, but they could also serve as lightning rods. You could put rope between them and make your own Outward Bound kind of setup. Twin strippers could dance around them. You could put sails on them and pretend you're a pirate.

Yeah, go with the two rods.

boogblaster
06-06-2010, 12:53 PM
always just dug up the pits before playing loosing up the dirt plus had wood bak-stops made with 2x10s ...