PDA

View Full Version : Royals ***Official MLB Draft thread***

Pages : [1] 2

DeezNutz
06-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Let's talk prospects. To start, Rany's latest update says that Reaper is dumb as ****. :)

www.ranyontheroyals.com

Reaper16
06-05-2010, 08:24 PM
I don't get it.

BWillie
06-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Man we shoulda tanked it for Bryce Harper...

This is a kid barely 17 years old that hit .442 in junior college w/ a wooden bat, hit 30 homeruns, and had a 1.5 OPS. Just filthy

milkman
06-05-2010, 08:29 PM
I don't get it.

Proof.

Reaper16
06-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Proof.
:deevee:

DeezNutz
06-05-2010, 08:33 PM
I don't get it.

Because Rany is NOT advocating your paper, C Miami, whom I will forever refer to as Grendel.

Cause he's a fucking monster!!!

Reaper16
06-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Because Rany is NOT advocating your paper, C Miami, whom I will forever refer to as Grendel.

Cause he's a fucking monster!!!
Oh I get it now you are saying the opposite of what is really happening becuase Rany is advocating the player, Yasmani "The Yasmanian Devil" "Grendel" Grandal, that I have been advocating so I am only a dumbass if Rany is a dumbass an Rany is not a dumbass so I am not and that is the humor did I get it right?

kstater
06-05-2010, 08:36 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the pick won't live up to expectations.

DeezNutz
06-05-2010, 08:42 PM

Cause he's a ****ing monster!!!

Or "player." Your essay sucked, too, but that's a different matter.

Reaper16
06-05-2010, 08:44 PM
If the Royals do take Grandal then in the space of two years they would have taken their farm system's most shallow position - Catcher - and turned it into a position with three legit prospects: Wil Meyers, Yasmani Grandal, and the not-to-be-overlooked 20 year old Venezuelan signee Salvador Perez, who has been impressive.

Al Bundy
06-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Alex Gordon might be one of the biggest overhyped busts of all time... well since Van Poppel...

Saul Good
06-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Alex Gordon might be one of the biggest overhyped busts of all time... well since Van Poppel...

I'm not ready to close the book on Gordon just yet.

Reaper16
06-05-2010, 08:50 PM
If here were allowed to play in the major leagues then he'd likely perform at the level of his sophomore year. A .270 hitter with 18-22 HR and plenty of doubles and the ability to take a walk or two. That would be disappointing when held to the all-world expectations but that isn't a bust - that's a level of player that could really help the Royals.

Al Bundy
06-05-2010, 08:57 PM
If here were allowed to play in the major leagues then he'd likely perform at the level of his sophomore year. A .270 hitter with 18-22 HR and plenty of doubles and the ability to take a walk or two. That would be disappointing when held to the all-world expectations but that isn't a bust - that's a level of player that could really help the Royals.

At this point Gordon would make a good utility player. Some speed, some pop, but not starting MLB player... well except for a bad team. Any good team Gordon is on the bench being a utility guy.

BWillie
06-05-2010, 08:59 PM
At this point Gordon would make a good utility player. Some speed, some pop, but not starting MLB player... well except for a bad team. Any good team Gordon is on the bench being a utility guy.

Alex Gordon is a starting MLB player. Just wait and see. I'm tellin' ya. All-Star, no. But he'll be a starter for into his mid 30s

Al Bundy
06-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Alex Gordon is a starting MLB player. Just wait and see. I'm tellin' ya. All-Star, no. But he'll be a starter for into his mid 30s

I don't doubt it.. there are always bad teams for him to start on. He will never start for a team in the playoffs.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-05-2010, 09:07 PM
I imagine the Cardinals will continue to load up on college arms, but I'd like to see them beef up the left 3/4 of the infield.

There's almost nothing there in the system. Well...there's almost nothing anywhere in the system.

DeezNutz
06-06-2010, 07:41 PM
http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft-2010

Sure-Oz
06-06-2010, 08:20 PM
I hope Gordon gets to come up soon and play...

I like the catcher at that pick, we'll see what happens.

Bambi
06-06-2010, 08:21 PM

Don't forget this dude.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YntY1kyKo4o/SdUj489o55I/AAAAAAAAHVw/WanBeOhRVsw/s400/brien+taylor.jpg

DeezNutz
06-06-2010, 08:22 PM
I hope Gordon gets to come up soon and play...

I like the catcher at that pick, we'll see what happens.

Absolutely. I've seen enough of Pods and Guillen.

Gordon and Kila, please. And Grendel is a very logical selection.

Sure-Oz
06-06-2010, 08:56 PM

Agreed, i am ready for the trade deadline to get here, mainly so those 2 can come up. I dont expect any major deals except getting rid of dead weight

teedubya
06-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Bryce Harper sure would have been nice... but how could you OUTSUCK the Nationals last year?

Sure-Oz
06-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Bryce Harper sure would have been nice... but how could you OUTSUCK the Nationals last year?

Funny thing is that they are doing pretty good this year...the royals also find ways to win more when the season is about over and screwing their draft status up.

Reaper16
06-07-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm gonna' throw up if Dayton takes Chris Sale.

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm gonna' throw up if Dayton takes Chris Sale.

"Insiders" backing off the Grendel reports. Fear now creeping into DeezNutz's eyes.

Reaper16
06-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Sale seems bustalicious ala Andrew Miller to me. If the Royals wanted (another!) lefty starter then I'd rather see them go for Pomeranz. But we have enough lefties in the system; I want another impact bat.

petegz28
06-07-2010, 11:30 AM

You were good, right up until the Gordon comment. I don't need to see another guy with a weak bat dropping routine flyballs.

alnorth
06-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Did Gordon run over your puppy or something? Dude is belting an OPS just barely under 1.200 in 121 at-bats. Someone has to play the outfield next year, I'd rather give it to him under the assumption he may have finally figured it out than some random faceless journeyman to fill the spot. I realize you think he's a AAAA player who will always suck in KC and those sky-high numbers will come down a bit, but AAAA players might hit closer to 0.800 or so, not look like Barry Bonds in Omaha.

KevB
06-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Sale seems bustalicious ala Andrew Miller to me. If the Royals wanted (another!) lefty starter then I'd rather see them go for Pomeranz. But we have enough lefties in the system; I want another impact bat.

Baseball America has Chris Sale as the #4 overall rated player in this draft. I can't imagine why we'd be so distraught if he was the pick. It's not like they're taking the #50 best player based on signability. Good grief. Which impact bat would you take? The next best bat is either Cox (no power or position) or Choice (power, but strikes out a bunch against middling competition).

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 12:29 PM
810, citing some sources (didn't catch names, sorry), saying that Royals "might not like price tag" of either Grandal or Sale.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Baseball America has Chris Sale as the #4 overall rated player in this draft. I can't imagine why we'd be so distraught if he was the pick. It's not like they're taking the #50 best player based on signability. Good grief. Which impact bat would you take? The next best bat is either Cox (no power or position) or Choice (power, but strikes out a bunch against middling competition).
Apparently Sale throws side arm or something, i sure as hell don't want a reliever at #4

Law has him ranked like in the 40's i believe pick wise

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Right now 810 is discussing royals draft stuff

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Remember, for the sake of argument, that Lincecum was also considered a potential reliever because of his delivery and small frame.

Also, lefties have tremendous trade value. This is another major reason why I wanted Miller in '06. And Detroit parlayed him into a pretty decent 1B, if memory serves...

Crush
06-07-2010, 12:38 PM
If the Royals take another fucking 5-tech or TE with the pick, I will go ballistic.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Remember, for the sake of argument, that Lincecum was also considered a potential reliever because of his delivery and small frame.

Also, lefties have tremendous trade value. This is another major reason why I wanted Miller in '06. And Detroit parlayed him into a pretty decent 1B, if memory serves...

I just want a guy that will pan out, Grandal or Sale i'd probably be alright with since their value is supposedly not that different

petegz28
Did Gordon run over your puppy or something? Dude is belting an OPS just barely under 1.200 in 121 at-bats. Someone has to play the outfield next year, I'd rather give it to him under the assumption he may have finally figured it out than some random faceless journeyman to fill the spot. I realize you think he's a AAAA player who will always suck in KC and those sky-high numbers will come down a bit, but AAAA players might hit closer to 0.800 or so, not look like Barry Bonds in Omaha.

Actually, I was a huge Gordon fan. Even have an autographed baseball of his. But the fact is he has not improved at all. I am tired of holding out hope on Sweet Alice. IF he isn't injured he is striking out on the same pitch over and over or dropping routine pop flys because he is too scared to stand under the ball.

KevB
Apparently Sale throws side arm or something, i sure as hell don't want a reliever at #4

Law has him ranked like in the 40's i believe pick wise

He throws 3/4, but has 2 plus pitches. You realize "they" said Tim Lincecum was going to have to be a reliever because of his delivery? My point is that it's not an exact science, and they Royals have been scouting these guys hard. We are reading one or two reviews on a guy and then definitively declaring that he's a terrible pick. C'mon. I like the catcher, but I'm not going to kill the R's for taking a guy that Baseball America has ranked #4.

Edit : Ha, DeezNutz beat me to the Lincecum comparison.

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Actually, I was a huge Gordon fan. Even have an autographed baseball of his. But the fact is he has not improved at all. I am tired of holding out hope on Sweet Alice. IF he isn't injured he is striking out on the same pitch over and over or dropping routine pop flys because he is too scared to stand under the ball.

Let this go. Be content if he can be an average ML player because we need those, too.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 12:40 PM
He throws 3/4, but has 2 plus pitches. You realize "they" said Tim Lincecum was going to have to be a reliever because of his delivery? My point is that it's not an exact science, and they Royals have been scouting these guys hard. We are reading one or two reviews on a guy and then definitively declaring that he's a terrible pick. C'mon. I like the catcher, but I'm not going to kill the R's for taking a guy that Baseball America has ranked #4.

I won't freak out if they take a big lefty at 4, or that C...

There are guys that can't miss that won't do shit, crapshoot regardless

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Let this go. Be content if he can be an average ML player because we need those, too.

If he turns out to be a .270 hitter with 22 hr and 90 rbis thats pretty damn good and we need a guy with some power in the OF

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 12:41 PM
I won't freak out if they take a big lefty at 4, or that C...

There are guys that can't miss that won't do shit, crapshoot regardless

Exactly. Gordon was as "can't miss" as they get. Now, don't get me wrong. If Machado somehow falls, I'm going to be a pretty excited panda.

petegz28
06-07-2010, 12:44 PM

WTF? We got 25 of them!!!!

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 12:46 PM

LMAO. No, we don't. Kendall, Betancourt, Bloomquist, Getz, Guillen, etc., are NOT average ML players.

But I hear what you're saying. We need stars, too.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 12:50 PM

We have alot of POOR players, some that have no business starting, period. If we had a team full of avg and a few starts we'd be the twins

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Exactly. Gordon was as "can't miss" as they get. Now, don't get me wrong. If Machado somehow falls, I'm going to be a pretty excited panda.

Definetly

siberian khatru
06-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Gordon in just his second ML season was an above-average player, with an OPS+ of 109. In the second half of that season (2008) he had an OPS+ of 126, so it appeared he was improving as a player and becoming a good one.

Then he got hurt in 09 and 10. Now he's learning a new position.

He probably will never be a star like he was projected, won't be Longoria or Zimmerman or Braun. But he still can be a good player, a regular who can help the Royals.

JASONSAUTO
06-07-2010, 12:55 PM
what time does this shit start?

petegz28
06-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Gordon in just his second ML season was an above-average player, with an OPS+ of 109. In the second half of that season (2008) he had an OPS+ of 126, so it appeared he was improving as a player and becoming a good one.

Then he got hurt in 09 and 10. Now he's learning a new position.

He probably will never be a star like he was projected, won't be Longoria or Zimmerman or Braun. But he still can be a good player, a regular who can help the Royals.

This is his 3rd. And he is back to the minors

siberian khatru
06-07-2010, 12:59 PM
This is his 3rd. And he is back to the minors

Because he started the year hurt and the Royals gave him all of 38 plate appearances to prove himself before they demoted him. Now they're saying that even though he's raking, he won't be up until he fixes something in his swing because it's not perfect or something.

Yeah, because everybody on the current ML roster has such a pretty, perfect swing.

Call his ass up, stick him in the OF, play him full time, hope he stays healthy and see what we've got.

Deberg_1990
06-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Wheres all the Royals mock draft threads??

siberian khatru
06-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Wheres all the Royals mock draft threads??

The Drafturbators: DeezNutz, alnorth, Sure Oz and KevB. :D

Deberg_1990
06-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Call his ass up, stick him in the OF, play him full time, hope he stays healthy and see what we've got.

This..

while i still think hes a bust, but why does Dayton act as if the Royals are competing this year? Or last year for that matter??

Play the youngsters with potential and lets prep for 2 or 3 years down the road.

Its been the Royals problem since....forever. They never fully 100% commit to the youth movement.

alnorth
06-07-2010, 01:03 PM

If we had 25 average guys, we'd be playing 0.500 baseball. Our team has very, very few solid average guys, and the few who we do have look like stars to us because we are comparing them to our many dogs.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 01:03 PM

LMAO

we are the only ones talking about the draft basically

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 01:04 PM
This..

while i still think hes a bust, but why does Dayton act as if the Royals are competing this year? Or last year for that matter??

Play the youngsters with potential and lets prep for 2 or 3 years down the road.

Apparently Dayton wants to see Gordon keep working on that hole in his swing, I guess he needs to tear it up for another month or two i'd say

siberian khatru
06-07-2010, 01:06 PM
This..

He's a bust if you hope he's gonna be Longoria, Zimmerman or Braun.

But if he becomes a regular with an OPS+ of 110 or more, that's fine for even a top-5 pick, because so many of them don't even do that.

alnorth
06-07-2010, 01:06 PM

nah.

When it comes to the baseball draft, I literally don't care except for a curiousity on who we picked. In football you might have a real good idea who should be drafted in the first 3 rounds. In baseball, you have somewhere between zero and three sure things every year (and some of them disappoint, especially if we draft them). After that, throw a dart.

This year, the #4 player isn't appreciably different from the #20 player, so I'll just sit back, tune in for our first round pick, and hope in a couple years we find out that we guessed correctly.

siberian khatru
06-07-2010, 01:09 PM
nah.

When it comes to the baseball draft, I literally don't care except for a curiousity on who we picked. In football you might have a real good idea who should be drafted in the first 3 rounds. In baseball, you have somewhere between zero and three sure things every year (and some of them disappoint, especially if we draft them). After that, throw a dart.

This year, the #4 player isn't appreciably different from the #20 player, so I'll just sit back, tune in for our first round pick, and hope in a couple years we find out that we guessed correctly.

Oh, come on, just think how much more fun it would be if you had your ONE GUY they HAD to draft, and browbeated everyone who disagreed with you.

Deberg_1990
06-07-2010, 01:20 PM
He's a bust if you hope he's gonna be Longoria, Zimmerman or Braun.

But if he becomes a regular with an OPS+ of 110 or more, that's fine for even a top-5 pick, because so many of them don't even do that.

If he only turns into Mark Teahen reincarnated, id be happy...

siberian khatru
06-07-2010, 01:22 PM
If he only turns into Mark Teahen reincarnated, id be happy...

:grr:

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Wasn't teahen compared to jason giambi at one time LMAO

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Oh, come on, just think how much more fun it would be if you had your ONE GUY they HAD to draft, and browbeated everyone who disagreed with you.

Sayin' we should just take Sanchez at 4...we should just take Sanchez at 4.

Deberg_1990
06-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Wasn't teahen compared to jason giambi at one time LMAO

hey, at least he was better than Jeremy Giambi. ROFL

Reaper16
06-07-2010, 01:31 PM

LMAO

we are the only ones talking about the draft basically
Fuck you guys.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 01:33 PM
**** you guys.
LMAO

How the hell did I forget you? I haven't seen many tweets from you lately, that's probably why

petegz28
06-07-2010, 01:36 PM
At this point, Gordon is no better than Guillen with slightly better fielding ability. He strikes out all the time and hits the occasional WOW homerun that gives you a sliver of false hope. If they bring him back up I hope it is for the last time. Either he earns a spot on the roster or we dump him and move on.

siberian khatru
06-07-2010, 01:36 PM
**** you guys.

Oops.

I shall retroactively Mecca-nize you!

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 01:39 PM
At this point, Gordon is no better than Guillen with slightly better fielding ability. He strikes out all the time and hits the occasional WOW homerun that gives you a sliver of false hope. If they bring him back up I hope it is for the last time. Either he earns a spot on the roster or we dump him and move on.

I say Gordon is better than most the guys up here. Granted we've seen what 1 full season worth after his rookie year? He should be up and starting here, but he isn't. i think he can be a productive player, which we desperately need

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 01:40 PM

Hatred, regret...yeessss. Blind you they will.

siberian khatru
06-07-2010, 01:42 PM

Not true. He gets on base better than Guillen. Even this year, in his brief appearance when he hit .194, Gordon was drawing walks and getting on base at a decent clip.

petegz28
06-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Not true. He gets on base better than Guillen. Even this year, in his brief appearance when he hit .194, Gordon was drawing walks and getting on base at a decent clip.

At that same point Guillen was tearing it up. Now look at him. Sorry, I am just not sold on Gordon at all. I hope if he comes back he works out. But I'm not holding my breath anymore with him. I've seen him at spring training and as far as I am concerned he has an ego. Ignoring fans for autographs, when the team walks off the filed after practice he goes out a different gate with George Brett. Him and Billay both I think feel their shit don't stink. And maybe that is the faut of the organization for bringing them up the way they did. Treating them like they are God's gift to baseball cause they were good in AA.

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 01:49 PM
At that same point Guillen was tearing it up. Now look at him. Sorry, I am just not sold on Gordon at all. I hope if he comes back he works out. But I'm not holding my breath anymore with him. I've seen him at spring training and as far as I am concerned he has an ego. Ignoring fans for autographs, when the team walks off the filed after practice he goes out a different gate with George Brett. Him and Billay both I think feel their shit don't stink. And maybe that is the faut of the organization for bringing them up the way they did. Treating them like they are God's gift to baseball cause they were good in AA.

If the choices are to sign your shirt or kick it with Brett and watch him shit himself, I'll probably go with the latter.

alnorth
06-07-2010, 01:51 PM

Once upon a time I was a really big Teahen fan. Saw a nice game from him at Omaha, started following him more, even bought a jersey and everything. He became a disappointment, but I still appreciated him for what he was capable of giving to the team.

Gordon's sort of the same way, except I think he's likely better than Teahen by quite a bit, if he ever gets a chance to hit. He is not an all-star. To the extent that people expected him to be the next George Brett, he is a disappointment.

However, you cant overreact to a few dozen AB's in April and completely ignore his unbelievably monstrous May in Omaha. He's probably not quite this good, but if he regressed a full 25%, he's still one of the best hitters on this team. He needs to be up here, and we need to have reasonable expectations that he might be a solid player with a very faint upside of being slightly above-average with his power.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Apparently now it's heavily rumored we are taking Sale instead of Grandal

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2010/insider/news/story?id=5259729&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmlb%2fdraft2010%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d52597 29

petegz28
06-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Once upon a time I was a really big Teahen fan. Saw a nice game from him at Omaha, started following him more, even bought a jersey and everything. He became a disappointment, but I still appreciated him for what he was capable of giving to the team.

Gordon's sort of the same way, except I think he's likely better than Teahen by quite a bit, if he ever gets a chance to hit. He is not an all-star. To the extent that people expected him to be the next George Brett, he is a disappointment.

However, you cant overreact to a few dozen AB's in April and completely ignore his unbelievably monstrous May in Omaha. He's probably not quite this good, but if he regressed a full 25%, he's still one of the best hitters on this team. He needs to be up here, and we need to have reasonable expectations that he might be a solid player with a very faint upside of being slightly above-average with his power.

How can you say that, alnorth? Regressed a full 25%? From what? Being a sub .200 hitter? I am not talking about just this season. Obviously he isn't doing as good as we think in AAA or he would be back. For Dayton to say he still has a hole in his swing says a lot given the players Dayton has on the starting roster. It doesn't shock me at all that he is doing good in his hometown where he is a hero. Fuck, we are already talking about moving him to the OF. Right now, his future is a utility player at best it seems. He scares the hell out of me being in the OF with the way he catches flyballs. I just don't see the upside in him. He is fragile, his fielding is average at best and his bat is as consistent as Kansas City weather.

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 02:02 PM
How can you say that, alnorth? Regressed a full 25%? From what? Being a sub .200 hitter? I am not talking about just this season. Obviously he isn't doing as good as we think in AAA or he would be back. For Dayton to say he still has a hole in his swing says a lot given the players Dayton has on the starting roster. It doesn't shock me at all that he is doing good in his hometown where he is a hero. ****, we are already talking about moving him to the OF. Right now, his future is a utility player at best it seems. He scares the hell out of me being in the OF with the way he catches flyballs. I just don't see the upside in him. He is fragile, his fielding is average at best and his bat is as consistent as Kansas City weather.

Agreed, though we probably have very different understandings about what this actually says.

alnorth
06-07-2010, 02:05 PM
How can you say that, alnorth? Regressed a full 25%? From what? Being a sub .200 hitter?

I'm obviously talking about his jaw-dropping 1.200 OPS in Omaha. Obviously that number isn't for real, but it is from a hell of a lot more AB's than we gave him this year. For you to dismiss this season as if it were nothing is kind of silly, probably due to some kind of fan-rage rather than logic. It's not like he'll be blocking anyone, we already got a guy up here we dont like, and we wont have a 2nd option next season either, except signing some other random retread. I'd sooner give the rest of this season and next to Gordon.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm obviously talking about his jaw-dropping 1.200 OPS in Omaha. Obviously that number isn't for real, but it is from a hell of a lot more AB's than we gave him this year. For you to dismiss this season as if it were nothing is kind of silly, probably due to some kind of fan-rage rather than logic. It's not like he'll be blocking anyone, we already got a guy up here we dont like, and we wont have a 2nd option next season either, except signing some other random retread. I'd sooner give the rest of this season and next to Gordon.

You have to give that to Gordon than signing a retread peice of shit

sedated
06-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Let's talk prospects. To start, Rany's latest update says that Reaper is dumb as ****. :)

www.ranyontheroyals.com

the end of that article made me JIMP

KChiefs1
06-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Who is the best pick for the Royals at #4?

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 02:17 PM

After the "big 3," it's probably either: Grandal, Pom, or Sale.

Just for shits and grins, though, we haven't mentioned Colon. Dude was more highly thought of last year, and if you think he can stick at the position...

alnorth
06-07-2010, 02:33 PM

This is a bad year to pick #4. There is no real consensus pick for #4, at all. There's also not much seperation among the likely #4 through #20 players. The Royals could literally pick anyone in the top 20 of the draft mocks and they wont really get called out for "reaching". They are free to pick whoever the hell they think is the best available with no negative reaction.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 02:35 PM
collegesplits

Has it really come down to this? RT @KCRoyals Who would you take at No. 4 in the #mlbdraft? #royals 12 minutes ago via web Retweeted by keithlaw and 1 other

LMAO

Reaper16
06-07-2010, 02:36 PM

Just for shits and grins, though, we haven't mentioned Colon. Dude was more highly thought of last year, and if you think he can stick at the position...
I'd rather have Colon than Sale.

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 02:45 PM
I'd rather have Colon than Sale.

Yeah, I might be inclined to say that, too. Seems like he might be light hitting and word about moving to 2B sounds scary.

That said, I'd prefer to go with a position player.

alnorth
06-07-2010, 02:51 PM
For those looking for a reason to watch the draft, you could tune in and pray that Machado (top shortstop prospect) somehow falls in our lap. All the mocks have him going #2 or #3, but a few people whisper that there could be a tiny microscopic 1-2% chance he isn't picked by the Pirates or the Orioles.

If Machado and Taillon go #2 and #3 (in some order) as expected, then it doesn't matter as much since #4 through whatever is a big muddled group.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 02:54 PM
For those looking for a reason to watch the draft, you could tune in and pray that Machado (top shortstop prospect) somehow falls in our lap. All the mocks have him going #2 or #3, but a few people whisper that there could be a tiny microscopic 1-2% chance he isn't picked by the Pirates or the Orioles.

If Machado and Taillon go #2 and #3 (in some order) as expected, then it doesn't matter as much since #4 through whatever is a big muddled group.

When is the draft on anyway?

alnorth
06-07-2010, 02:58 PM
When is the draft on anyway?

6pm central, I think. mlb network, or mlb.com

I think they are only doing the first round and supplemental today. The rest of the draft is via conference call tomorrow. The Royals only have #4 today and thats it. After they pick, you can shut it off.

petegz28
06-07-2010, 03:05 PM

I am not against him out of any sort of rage. The kid stunk in the ML's. I won't dismiss what he is doing in AAA, but it is just that, AAA. He did the same in AA. I get nervous when our supposed All-Star catches pop flys off to the side, tells me he is scared of the ball. And his bat has been the same since he came up. Whiffs at every pitch down and inside. Granted he took a couple walks, he gets himself into 0-2 situations like no other. I am not worried about his power. He has the power. He lacks discipline at the plate. You want to bring him up as a #8 hitter and hope we can trade him off at a later date, ok, I will live with that.

petegz28
06-07-2010, 03:07 PM
The baseball draft is as about as exciting as watching grass grow. All pumped up for a pick and then it's "see you in 3 years, hopefully"

Reaper16
06-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Fuck signability concerns. Draft Grandal and if he doesn't sign for what you want than so be it - don't sign him. You'll get a replacement draft pick in next year's vastly superior draft.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 04:22 PM
**** signability concerns. Draft Grandal and if he doesn't sign for what you want than so be it - don't sign him. You'll get a replacement draft pick in next year's vastly superior draft.

I agree with this, next year is stacked

alnorth
06-07-2010, 04:25 PM
**** signability concerns. Draft Grandal and if he doesn't sign for what you want than so be it - don't sign him. You'll get a replacement draft pick in next year's vastly superior draft.

This idea is crazy enough to work.

However, we don't really know what the Royals think. This could be a smokescreen, or maybe Grandal is the top of the muddy heap on the Royals board. If they genuinely think "screw this guy, there's 3 or 4 others who we like just about as much", I'm fine with passing him, then saving our money for picks we can steal that fell in the 2nd or 3rd round due to signability.

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 04:28 PM
This idea is crazy enough to work.

However, we don't really know what the Royals think. This could be a smokescreen, or maybe Grandal is the top of the muddy heap on the Royals board. If they genuinely think "screw this guy, there's 3 or 4 others who we like just about as much", I'm fine with passing him, then saving our money for picks we can steal that fell in the 2nd or 3rd round due to signability.

Or I'm fine with allocating additional money toward the draft and NOT signing a more expensive broke-dick like Kendall.

For "smaller-market" teams, signability is a fucking joke. In baseball terms, we're talking about peanuts.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Or I'm fine with allocating additional money toward the draft and NOT signing a more expensive broke-dick like Kendall.

For "smaller-market" teams, signability is a ****ing joke. In baseball terms, we're talking about peanuts.

You put almost all your money in young talent, that is the ONLY way KC will ever be a solid team. Build, build and build. Fuck the ankiels, kendalls and guillens of the world.

JASONSAUTO
06-07-2010, 04:31 PM
AOL reports that the indians have offered grandel more than the 2.9 mil we offered, and also says we may still take him but the agreement is off

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 04:31 PM
You put almost all your money in young talent, that is the ONLY way KC will ever be a solid team. Build, build and build. **** the ankiels, kendalls and guillens of the world.

Exactly. If putting even more money into the draft means I won't pass on Porcello or Wieters but I will have to give up signing a Guillen, oh well.

JASONSAUTO
06-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Exactly. If putting even more money into the draft means I won't pass on Porcello or Wieters but I will have to give up signing a Guillen, oh well.

just oh well? more like FUCKING A

alnorth
06-07-2010, 04:34 PM

For "smaller-market" teams, signability is a ****ing joke. In baseball terms, we're talking about peanuts.

Money in the draft is not a problem. KC has out-spent almost everyone in the past few drafts.

However, that doesnt mean we should throw money away for the flying f*** of it. If #4 through #24 isn't much different, you offer slot to a weak first-round class, and then outspend everyone in the 2nd or 3rd round. Thats what we did many times recently, kid who wants money falls into the 2nd or 3rd round, we pick and pay him.

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Money in the draft is not a problem. KC has out-spent almost everyone in the past few drafts.

However, that doesnt mean we should throw money away for the flying f*** of it. If #4 through #24 isn't much different, you offer slot to a weak first-round class, and then outspend everyone in the 2nd or 3rd round. Thats what we did many times recently, kid who wants money falls into the 2nd or 3rd round, we pick and pay him.

I know, but we've STILL heard about "not being able to afford" guys like Wieters and Porcello. That's inexcusable, IMO, when we're absolutely pissing away money on ML FAs.

From my perspective, I don't think the Royals should even have an explicitly stated draft budget. BPA. Every. Single. Round.

When the smoke clears, add it up. Make amends in other areas as needed.

alnorth
06-07-2010, 04:37 PM

With the way Moustakas has been smashing the ball in AA this season, I am not yet willing to call that draft a failure. Moustakas could yet end up being the best choice, or close enough.

KevB
06-07-2010, 04:37 PM
So we're all working under the assumption that the Royals prefer the catcher. What if the Royals floated the rumors about our interest to spook Sale, who we really want, into taking a more reasonable package? It's not as if they Royals have come out and said that Grandel is their favorite at #4.

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 04:38 PM
With the way Moustakas has been smashing the ball in AA this season, I am not yet willing to call that draft a failure. Moustakas could yet end up being the best choice, or close enough.

Very well could be true. But this isn't a fundamentally sound approach to the draft, IMO.

alnorth
06-07-2010, 04:39 PM
From my perspective, I don't think the Royals should even have an explicitly stated draft budget. BPA. Every. Single. Round.

When the smoke clears, add it up. Make amends in other areas as needed.

I dont buy this, at all. Even if we were the Yankees.

If, as we may have this year, you think Grandal is the BPA, but only BARELY, and #2 on your board wants a lot less, and given how much of a crapshoot it all is where both guys you want could bust and #15 on your board could beat them all, you dont just ignore money.

You pay off significant talent. If the guy isn't much better than a lot of others, then he shouldn't have leverage.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 04:40 PM
I'll be watching the draft on mlb.com thank goodness, damn you dish for not having mlb network

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Will try to tweet as possible during #mlbdraft. Suspense killing me. KC still uncertain at 4, I'm guessing Sale 28 minutes ago via UberTwitter

per jimcallis twitter

alnorth
So we're all working under the assumption that the Royals prefer the catcher. What if the Royals floated the rumors about our interest to spook Sale, who we really want, into taking a more reasonable package? It's not as if they Royals have come out and said that Grandel is their favorite at #4.

A few people also think this, that Grandal is a stalking horse for Sale.

I doubt it though, because everyone beyond the top 3 simply isnt better enough than their peers to merit drama. You want a bunch of money? We'd pay if it was worth it, but kid, you simply aren't as good as you think you are. Good-bye.

KevB
Jim Callis at Baseball America has us taking Chris Sale at 4. Grandal falls to the Cards at 25.

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 04:47 PM
I dont buy this, at all. Even if we were the Yankees.

If, as we may have this year, you think Grandal is the BPA, but only BARELY, and #2 on your board wants a lot less, and given how much of a crapshoot it all is where both guys you want could bust and #15 on your board could beat them all, you dont just ignore money.

You pay off significant talent. If the guy isn't much better than a lot of others, then he shouldn't have leverage.

Ok, but we haven't done this, despite spending a lot in the draft. And, really, how much additional money are we talking about? 1M? 2M?

Give me a break. We piss these amounts away on clowns like Farnsworth all the time.

alnorth
06-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Ok, but we haven't done this, despite spending a lot in the draft. And, really, how much additional money are we talking about? 1M? 2M?

Give me a break. We piss these amounts away on clowns like Farnsworth all the time.

This "significant talent" situation rarely shows up except in the later rounds when guys who want money fall, and we do grab and pay them. I know a lot of people fell in love with Weiters, but do we really know that the Royals thought Weiters was a lot better than Moustakas? (he sure doesn't look a ton better now) The media's opinion doesn't matter, if it was a tie in the Royal's eyes, then they didn't make a bad decision.

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 04:53 PM
The media's opinion doesn't matter, if it was a tie in the Royal's eyes, then they didn't make a bad decision.

Fair enough. I have a hard time believing that all the "experts" were that off in their evaluation of the consensus talent, but it's definitely possible.

Miller/Hochevar might provide a bit of evidence in this respect.

alnorth
06-07-2010, 04:56 PM
There is a lot of attention and speculation on the live blogs about the #4 pick. The experts all seem to be annoyed by not knowing what KC is doing so close to the draft.

If the Royals wanted to throw up a smokescreen to confuse everyone about who they want to pick, they did a good job. I've read in the last few minutes Grandal, Sale, Choice, Wojo (long name, not spelling it out here).

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 04:57 PM
I heard the Wojo possibility earlier, and all the guys on 810 were like, "Who?!?"

LMAO.

alnorth
06-07-2010, 04:59 PM
I heard the Wojo possibility earlier, and all the guys on 810 were like, "Who?!?"

LMAO.

Not like he's an obscure guy, dude is top-20ish on every mock.

Reaper16
06-07-2010, 04:59 PM
There is a lot of attention and speculation on the live blogs about the #4 pick. The experts all seem to be annoyed by not knowing what KC is doing so close to the draft.

If the Royals wanted to throw up a smokescreen to confuse everyone about who they want to pick, they did a good job. I've read in the last few minutes Grandal, Sale, Choice, Wojo (long name, not spelling it out here).
If Dayton Moore could, he would draft Jeff Francouer today.

alnorth
06-07-2010, 05:02 PM
OK, everyone who is watching the draft, it probably wont happen, but what the hell. Use all your mysterious voodoo magic to convince Pittsburgh and Baltimore to pass on Machado. He's the only top-3 pick who might have a chance in hell of shocking everyone by falling to us.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Harold Reynolds would draft the SS over Bryce Harper lol

KevB
06-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Selig just oozes charisma

petegz28
06-07-2010, 05:04 PM
HTF did the Angels get 5 1st round picks????

KevB
Harold Reynolds would draft the SS over Bryce Harper lol

Even worse, the other guy would take a right handed high school pitcher first.

Sure-Oz

He gets me revved up for baseball

petegz28

Dude sounds drunk

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Washington we'll trade you Harper for Crowe straight up!!11111111

alnorth
06-07-2010, 05:06 PM
HTF did the Angels get 5 1st round picks????

Only way is pick last year didn't sign, and/or they got multiple sandwich-round picks. They lose a bunch of good free agents recently?

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 05:07 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=mlb_draft&id=5262163&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmlb%2fblog%3fname%3dmlb_draft%26id%3d5262163

Another buzz-worthy element: it appears the Kansas City Royals are going to take Christian Colon at pick No. 4 in a little bit. Colon's one of the most polished players in this year's draft and fills a critical organizational need for KC. We'll see in about 20 minutes if it occurs.

The move eliminates a backup choice for several teams behind the Royals, including the Mets, A's, and Jays.

alnorth
another rumor: if Machado is gone, Royals might pick the next-best shortstop, Colon.

Sure-Oz
Did peter gammons say retarded?

Al Bundy
06-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Did peter gammons say retarded?

He had to be talking about Cardinal fans.

alnorth
06-07-2010, 05:10 PM
no surprise, the consensus best player went #1 as expected.

Now to see if Taillon and Machado goes 2 and 3 as expected. (no one pick Machado, please)

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Rany would love some Colon

Reaper16
06-07-2010, 05:14 PM
@theReaper16 (http://twitter.com/theReaper16) I like Grandal but I'd much rather the #Royals (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Royals) take Colon at 4 than Sale. 3 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/theReaper16/status/15662731932) via web

KevB
06-07-2010, 05:14 PM
another rumor: if Machado is gone, Royals might pick the next-best shortstop, Colon.

I haven't watched any video of Colon, but from what I've read, I wouldn't mind this at all. We can probably sign him reasonably and then draft a player or two that falls.

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Agreed. Colon would be just fine.

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 05:16 PM
If we'd lost one more game last year, we'd be selecting Machado here.

alnorth
Pittsburgh takes Taillon.

Orioles next. Time to hope, anybody but Machado!

Reaper16
OK, Shitbirds, pass on Machado, please.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 05:17 PM
@theReaper16 (http://twitter.com/theReaper16) I like Grandal but I'd much rather the #Royals (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Royals) take Colon at 4 than Sale. 3 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/theReaper16/status/15662731932) via web

I LIKE THIS! THUMBS UP SYMBOL!111111111

teedubya
06-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Is there a live draft tracker somewhere?

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Is there a live draft tracker somewhere?

twitter or mlb.com has a live feed

KevB
06-07-2010, 05:19 PM
BA has Colon as their 7th best player, Law has him at 18.

teedubya
06-07-2010, 05:20 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2010/draftcaster.jsp

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Trade up! Trade up!

alnorth
06-07-2010, 05:21 PM
well, damn. Baltimore takes Machado away from the board as expected. Unpredictable pick coming up now, no one seems to know what the Royals are doing at #4.

DeezNutz
And the dream dies!

Sure-Oz
FUCK YOU O's and man Bud Selig is shit

Reaper16
And here we go /The Joker

teedubya
Ok... Royals up.

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Trade down! Trade down!

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 05:22 PM
jimcallisBA

Enough w/Machado-ARod comps! No surprises in first 3, now fun starts w/KC. Colon sounds like the guy here. They wanted Sale but not the $. 1 minute ago via UberTwitter

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 05:23 PM
It's the Pirates, so you know that kid will blow out his arm.

Chocolate Hog
well, damn. Baltimore takes Machado away from the board as expected. Unpredictable pick coming up now, no one seems to know what the Royals are doing at #4.

I can predict who they'll draft want to bet casino cash? I bet whoever they pick will suck like eery other Dayton Moore draft pick.

alnorth
The possible drafting of Colon seems divisive. Some Royals fans like it, some hate it.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Is that joe randa?

Sure-Oz
Colon it is!

alnorth
Colon it is. We went shortstop

Reaper16
06-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Suck it, Yuni. We comin' for you.

Sure-Oz
I hope this dude doesn't move to 2b

petegz28
So, ANOTHER high schoool SS? :facepalm:

DeezNutz

Prophetic.

teedubya
Colon Blows!!

JASONSAUTO
I can predict who they'll draft want to bet casino cash? I bet whoever they pick will suck like eery other Dayton Moore draft pick.

pay attention much?

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 05:28 PM
I stand by statement, if he can stick at SS, it's a very solid choice.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 05:28 PM
jazayerli

Yeah, that wasn't expected. I really like Colon, but I just hope the Royals took him because they wanted him, not for financial reasons. half a minute ago via TweetDeck

Mr. Arrowhead
06-07-2010, 05:29 PM

nope hes actually a college Short Stop

JASONSAUTO

huh? the guy was a college JR.

Sure-Oz
jimcallisBA

Colon is safest big leaguer in draft, VG pure hitter, chance to stay at SS, plays above his tools. Not a bad pick at all. #mlbdraft less than a minute ago via UberTwitter

petegz28
I stand by statement, if he can stick at SS, it's a very solid choice.

Yeah, 6 years from now

petegz28
huh? the guy was a college JR.

Ah, my bad, I thought he was a HS pick

Reaper16
He's the SS for Cal-State Fullerton. Which is, in fact, a college.

alnorth
06-07-2010, 05:30 PM

He's a junior out of Cal State Fullerton. He wont (hopefully) take forever in the minors like you'd expect out of a high schooler. Power hitter and scouts think he might be able to stick at short.

KevB
06-07-2010, 05:31 PM
BA had the guy rated 7th, so I don't see this as any kind of a reach. In a spot where nobody stood out, they took a kid that can probably move pretty fast up the ladder, plays a premium position of need, and has played against high level competition his entire life and excelled. I'm completely fine with it.

petegz28
06-07-2010, 05:31 PM
He's a junior out of Cal State Fullerton. He wont (hopefully) take forever in the minors like you'd expect out of a high schooler. Power hitter and scouts think he might be able to stick at short.

Yes, I already said, my bad.....how many times must I say it?

petegz28
06-07-2010, 05:32 PM
He's the SS for Cal-State Fullerton. Which is, in fact, a college.

Liar

DJ's left nut
06-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Jon Hart just compared him to Placido Polanco which is exactly who I thought of when I saw him. His body type doesn't really look to stick at SS; he's a little thick through his trunk. Looks a lot like a guy that will settle in at 2b and be very very good there.

His swing is a little longer than I thought it would be from the scouting reports, but it should generate solid power for a middle infielder.

Little bit of a 'meh' pick, but he sure looks like he should end up as a nice player fairly quickly. Doesn't seem to have superstar potential, but should be a nice everyday player. If you get Polanco, that's a fine pick.

alnorth
06-07-2010, 05:33 PM

given the number of responses that came rapid-fire in a short amount of time, probably once. It's not like I read the responses and piled on. I started typing and google'd his stats to make sure.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 05:33 PM

He's a college jr playing SS and has power

teedubya
06-07-2010, 05:35 PM
@teedubya

And the @kcroyals select SS Christian Colon... right when he found out... I bet he said a cussword.

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 05:36 PM
pete, CSF is a college.

duncan_idaho
06-07-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm cool with Colon!

Would have rather seen Grandal, to be hoenst, but I can live with Colon. Especially if he sticks at SS.

Probably comes down to $$$. As some said... in a draft like this, you draft a guy who will sign for slot money, and get him into the system quickly. I love taking another college hitter who can be bunched in the same call-up pool as Moose, Hosmer, Montgomery, Lamb, Myers, Melville, Dwyer, Crow, etc. Especially one in a position of need.

I'm going to dream a little and hope Grandal's $$ demands are enough for him to fall to KC in round 2. I'd like them to get a college catcher so they can move Myers to a corner OF spot and get his bat in the pros sooner.

Speaking of round 2... I think you will see KC be really aggressive in later rounds.

And billay... you must not be watching what Moore's picks are doing this year. The Royals right now probably have four of the top 50 prospects in minor league baseball (Moose, Hosmer, Monty, Myers). And it's not a stretch that all four could be top 25 by season's end...

duncan_idaho
06-07-2010, 05:38 PM
BA had the guy rated 7th, so I don't see this as any kind of a reach. In a spot where nobody stood out, they took a kid that can probably move pretty fast up the ladder, plays a premium position of need, and has played against high level competition his entire life and excelled. I'm completely fine with it.

Don't forget that he's likely to sign fairly easily/quickly and is a big-time leader/winner.

Bambi
06-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Fine pick by me.

DeezNutz
I was thinking the same thing, duncan. Let's hope "Grendel" plunges.

DeezNutz
Don't forget that he's likely to sign fairly easily/quickly and is a big-time leader/winner.

Team captain? /Pioli

alnorth
06-07-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm going to dream a little and hope Grandal's $$ demands are enough for him to fall to KC in round 2. I'd like them to get a college catcher so they can move Myers to a corner OF spot and get his bat in the pros sooner.

If he does fall to KC in the 2nd round, they have to take him. They can play hardball during the negotiations, but you dont pass up 1st round talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 05:41 PM
How many rounds are tonight

alnorth
06-07-2010, 05:42 PM
oh hey, Colon plays in an elimination game tonight.

depending on which games they decide to show in this area, we might watch our draft pick at 10pm (8pm pacific) on ESPNU.

Anyone have any idea which games ESPNU is showing where? I'm not getting anything from them but "college baseball regionals".

alnorth
06-07-2010, 05:43 PM
How many rounds are tonight

only the 1st round and the supplemental. KC is done tonight. They will fly through the rest of the draft pretty quickly tomorrow and wednesday, starting at 11am both days.

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Dude looks like Bannister.

sparkky
06-07-2010, 05:44 PM
thanks for all the info for us less knowledgeable casual followers.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 05:47 PM
only the 1st round and the supplemental. KC is done tonight. They will fly through the rest of the draft pretty quickly tomorrow and wednesday, starting at 11am both days.

Gotcha, thanks

JASONSAUTO
06-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Team captain? /Pioli

ROFL actually IIRC he was/is

duncan_idaho
06-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Team captain? /Pioli

He was team captain both for CS-Fullerton AND Team USA. SO year... /Pioli.

I don't think there's any way Grandal gets past them if he falls to round 2. You have a little more leverage AND you are presumably drafting Colon at 4 because he will sign for that spot's slot $$... saving you money for later.

KChiefs1
Just heard that Colon will probably be the first player in this draft to make the majors.

Sure-Oz
Colon will be on tonight on espn u at 10

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Grandal goes to the Reds, just like Leake did

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Colon will be on tonight on espn u at 10

Cool.

duncan_idaho
06-07-2010, 06:58 PM
So much for Grandal slipping...

Oh well. There will be someone at their pick in round 2 that has slipped (Anthony Reynaudo?).

Anyway... here's to turning David DeJesus into someone we can stack with Colon and all the others in that minor league group...

DJ's left nut
06-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Nobody's excited about the Cards picking up the best pure hitter and college eligible soph in the draft at 25?

Zack Cox was a great pick for us, damn excited about that one.

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Nobody's excited about the Cards picking up the best pure hitter and college eligible soph in the draft at 25?

Went outside with the dogs and haven't kept up the the draft. That is a very solid value for STL at that point in the draft.

duncan_idaho
06-07-2010, 07:56 PM

It's a nice value pick, that's for sure.

Doesn't have a ton of power or a real position... think that's why he slipped.

Thig Lyfe
06-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Man we shoulda tanked it for Bryce Harper...

This is a kid barely 17 years old that hit .442 in junior college w/ a wooden bat, hit 30 homeruns, and had a 1.5 OPS. Just filthy

As if they would have drafted him. The Royals absolutely hate sure things.

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Unlikely, but it would be cool if Brentz would continue to drop.

DJ's left nut
06-07-2010, 08:10 PM

Doesn't have a ton of power or a real position... think that's why he slipped.

Seems like he can play a solid 2b.

He won't be an elite defensive 2b, but for some reason he kinda reminds me of a Jose Lopez type player or maybe Casey McGhee, both offensively and defensively.

There are some pretty good comparables out there for him that any team would like to have.. I think he'll be a nice contributor by as early as 2013.

duncan_idaho
06-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Unlikely, but it would be cool if Brentz would continue to drop.

Damn Red Sox took Brentz AND Reynaudo. Sucks.

Oh well. There's still Asher Wojiehowski, the lefty from The Citadel they considered at No. 4...

petegz28
06-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Damn Red Sox took Brentz AND Reynaudo. Sucks.

Oh well. There's still Asher Wojiehowski, the lefty from The Citadel they considered at No. 4...

HTF do we suck so bad and only have 1 pick in the 1st round? Angels had 5. Sox I guess had 2?

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 08:24 PM
HTF do we suck so bad and only have 1 pick in the 1st round? Angels had 5. Sox I guess had 2?

No compensation picks. We don't get shit when we DFA our trash.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Who was the last can't miss type prospect we drafted....oh wait...

Saul Good
06-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Naturally, Colon gets plunked in the leg on the first pitch of the game.

petegz28
06-07-2010, 09:13 PM
So is this kid somebody we might see by September 2011? Or is this a case of hurry up and wait??

Saul Good
06-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Good defensive play by Colon to throw out the runner at third. (Actually, the throw was pretty poor, but he made a heady play.)

Saul Good
06-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Another solid defensive play. It will be great if he's a true shortstop.

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 09:21 PM
So is this kid somebody we might see by September 2011? Or is this a case of hurry up and wait??

Fuck you, Gordon!!!

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 09:22 PM
**** you, Gordon!!!

ROFL

2012 i expect him with the rest of the studs

petegz28
06-07-2010, 09:24 PM
ROFL

2012 i expect him with the rest of the studs

So then we should expect to see him called up at the end of next season?

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 09:26 PM
So then we should expect to see him called up at the end of next season?

I don't see why not barring injury or major unforeseen struggles

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-07-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm stunned we got Cox that late. That's a great pick at a position of tremendous need.

I think Blair is probably Jess Todd again, and Tyrell Jenkins...well who knows, but based on his scouting reports the sky is the limit.

Upside picks like that are great for comp selections.

Nice work, Luhnow.

tk13
06-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Screw 2011, Colon should be starting SS by Thursday! That was the real problem with Alex Gordon, we let him spend too much time in the minors! Totally ruined him.

OnTheWarpath58
06-07-2010, 09:31 PM

Keith Law said it was the "pick of the night" on the ESPN live draft chat.

Also said that the Mets were deciding between Cox and Harvey at #7 overall.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/draft2010/notebook/_/page/MLBdraft100607/2010-mlb-draft

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Keith Law said it was the "pick of the night" on the ESPN live draft chat.

Also said that the Mets were deciding between Cox and Harvey at #7 overall.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/draft2010/notebook/_/page/MLBdraft100607/2010-mlb-draft

keithlaw:
Oh, man, the Cardinals are having a day

Funny aside: it's interesting how many people who are considered most critical of the Chiefs (you, me, DJ) are also Cardinal fans. Wonder why?

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Colon looked like Betancourt on that AB

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Funny aside: it's interesting how many people who are considered most critical of the Chiefs (you, me, DJ) are also Cardinal fans. Wonder why?

Huffing? Fucked up chromosomes? Seriously, was this supposed to be entirely open-ended?

tk13
06-07-2010, 09:39 PM
keithlaw:
Oh, man, the Cardinals are having a day

Because Cardinal fans are jerks, duh. Easy question.

:)

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-07-2010, 09:44 PM
That tee was just the right height.

Reaper16
06-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Cox is a GREAT pick at that spot. He reminds me of a Billy Butler-type bat as far as upside in ability to hit to all fields.

alnorth
06-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Royals now saying they never intended to pick Grandal, there never was deal between them, but they did intentionally throw up smokescreens to confuse other teams drafting behind them. Colon was apparently the guy they wanted (assuming the top 3 were drafted as expected) all along.

alnorth
06-07-2010, 11:23 PM
... and right as I posted that, Colon came up to bat and ripped a double. He's 3-4 with 3 RBI and 2 doubles tonight for his team in an elimination game.

KevB
06-07-2010, 11:24 PM
... and right as I posted that, Colon came up to bat and ripped a double. He's 3-4 with 3 RBI and 2 doubles tonight for his team in an elimination game.

And after hearing about his lack of speed....he didn't look slow legging out that double. He may not be a big base stealer, but he looked every bit as fast as DeJesus. I expected another Callaspo, and he looked quicker than AC.

Ebolapox
06-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Because Cardinal fans are jerks, duh. Easy question.

:)

there's a lot of chiefs fans who are also jayhawk fans: they remind me of bronco fans, honestly. weird bunch, chiefs fans.

alnorth
06-07-2010, 11:28 PM
And after hearing about his lack of speed....he didn't look slow legging out that double. He may not be a big base stealer, but he looked every bit as fast as DeJesus. I expected another Callaspo, and he looked quicker than AC.

One of the Royals scouting directors was also saying those public scouting reports were deceptive. He apparently broke his leg really badly last year and was just barely recovered at the beginning of this season still limping a bit. He's now recovered and got whatever his speed really was back. The Royals say he's not a burner by any means, but also not nearly as slow as everyone made him out to be. They think he's a legit #4 pick who some teams weren't sure of coming off an injury.

KevB
06-07-2010, 11:45 PM
One of the Royals scouting directors was also saying those public scouting reports were deceptive. He apparently broke his leg really badly last year and was just barely recovered at the beginning of this season still limping a bit. He's now recovered and got whatever his speed really was back. The Royals say he's not a burner by any means, but also not nearly as slow as everyone made him out to be. They think he's a legit #4 pick who some teams weren't sure of coming off an injury.

I heard that. They were also adament that he's a SS now and forever. They really see him as their Derek Jeter. No tools that blow you away, but knows how to the play the game and has "it".

KevB
06-07-2010, 11:47 PM
So who does everyone want in round 2? I just watched the film on some of the "best available". AJ Cole is really impressive....I'd love to see us take him. I'm sure he'd be a tough sign, but they done it before. Brandon Workman and Austin Wilson (very tough sign, so may drop further) would also be really solid.

alnorth
06-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Unless the golden gophers get a grand slam, it looks like Colon ends the day 3-4 (and a hit by pitch) with 3 RBI and 2 doubles. He almost got another at-bat, but was left on deck in the 9th.

alnorth
06-08-2010, 12:03 AM
second baseman making Colon look bad. Two outs given away, first they couldn't turn a double play fed by Colon, then with the potential game-winning out the 2nd baseman simply whiffed the catch at second for a rare "missed catch" error. (typically on a missed catch if there's a doubt the scorer blames the thrower, but this was obviously a decent throw from Colon that should have been caught)

alnorth
06-08-2010, 12:05 AM
Game over, Cal State Fullerton advances, if they can beat UCLA, we'll see Colon play in the college world series at Omaha. Ticket sales would probably spike for those CSF games if that happens.

HotRoute
06-08-2010, 12:19 AM
so can the guy the royals picked pitch??? no he cant, well shit . . . .

KChiefs1
06-08-2010, 06:26 AM
So who does everyone want in round 2? I just watched the film on some of the "best available". AJ Cole is really impressive....I'd love to see us take him. I'm sure he'd be a tough sign, but they done it before. Brandon Workman and Austin Wilson (very tough sign, so may drop further) would also be really solid.

When does the 2nd round start?

BigRedChief
06-08-2010, 06:28 AM

Doesn't have a ton of power or a real position... think that's why he slipped.Sounds like a future 2nd baseman. We need one next year or ASAP.

DeezNutz
06-08-2010, 06:30 AM
When does the 2nd round start?

11:00 AM.

Good news about Colon, fellas. I like the pick. Logical with tremendous upside for our team.

KChiefs1
06-08-2010, 07:00 AM
11:00 AM.

Good news about Colon, fellas. I like the pick. Logical with tremendous upside for our team.

Thanks!

Found this list over at Royals Corner...

Best Available:
Stetson Allie
Brandon Workman
Brett Eibner
AJ Cole
Jesse Hahn
Chad Bettis
Yordy Cabrera
Tyrell Jenkins
Seth Blair
James Paxton
Ryan LaMarre
Austin Wates
Dan Klein
Sammy Solis
Kevin Gausman
Peter Tago
Micah Gibbs
Chance Ruffin
Ryne Stanek

KChiefs1
06-08-2010, 07:06 AM
Also from Royals Corner:

Round 2 (in order of want):
Stetson Allie- tough sign (UNC), but soooo talented. 2nd best stuff in the draft next to Taillon. Up to 98-99 w/ a 89-90 slider.

Yordy Cabrera- awesome bat and arm, won't stick at SS but will move to 3B. Old for a HS Sr.

Micah Gibbs- the "other" switch hitting catcher. Much better defensively than Grandal, similar potential to hit for ave (not great), much less pwr, lesser discipline. Would get to KC quikly (a la Colon)- maybe by OD 2012.

Ryne Stanek- gotta at least think about the local kid. Very solid stuff.

Garin Cecchini- really highly regarded until he tore his acl this Spring. He'll be a tough sign from LSU b/c of this, but he's a really high upside type of kid. He would be a good chance to take even later in the draft (rnd 9 or 10)

Austin Wilson- see Garin Cecchini, but not injured. Think he'll go to college, but he'd be really valuable in round 9 or 10. Unlike Garin, I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilson still available that late.

AJ Cole- good stuff, but really disappointing this year (see Tim Melville) Started the year rated very highly and was even projected to KC @ #4 overall at one point. Think he needs to go to college.

Jarrett Parker- great CF tools, but won't hit for much average (see Drew Stubbs)

Ryan LaMarre- screams KC Royal. Gritty, plus-plus speed in CF, poor obp skills, not a ton of power

3rd Round:
Stefan Sabol- TONS of skills & VERY athletic, but just needs to get out from behind the plate. I think he'll be a 5-tool OF.

Chad Lewis- 3B- I see a lot of David Wright in this guys future

Reggie Golden- OF- great skills for a hs OF

Joe Leonard- 3B- liked Mike Ott more here, but he was taken in the Supp Rnd.

Sean Coyle- 2B/SS- really small hs MIF, but has a really tough bat

Dan Klein- RP- I know it seem ********** to take a college RP here, but put him with Blake Wood, Louis Coleman
Pat Keating and you have yourself a very cheap/very potent bullpen in 2011 or 2012.

Will Swanner- C- hs C has good skills and little exposure. I think he could even be had in round 5/6.

Kyle Waldrop- OF- hs toolsy OF

Round 5:
**** Alvord- I've been on this bandwagon since day 1 and I'm not jumping off. Stock is falling b/c of size & footspeed, but could be a very offensive minded 2B in a few years. (see Giovatella with more pop, a couple of inches taller, better hands and a better arm)

Niko Goodrum- CF/3B/SS- can flat out play. Has mad skills.

Rob Brantly- if we don't have a catcher yet, he's kind of the last chance. Will do everything except hit for power, and some say he'll still have decent gap power, which would work just nice in KC. Would move quickly through our system.

Tony Thompson- he just mashes when healthy. More of an emotional pick for me. He'll probably just be Butler-lite, which doesn't offer too terribly much. Or maybe he'll be the next Albert Pujols.

KChiefs1
06-08-2010, 07:29 AM
http://royals.scout.com/2/975681.html

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>The Royals on Monday selected Cal State Fullerton shortstop Christian Colon with the fourth overall pick of the 2010 draft. Royals general manager Dayton Moore and farm director J.J. Picollo sounded ecstatic with the club's selection, praising Colon's quiet confidence and leadership, in addition to his considerable tools. RC breaks down the pick inside.

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
The Royals on Monday pulled a bit of a surprise with their first pick in the 2010 draft. While most draft forecasters predicted Kansas City would select Miami catcher Yasmani Grandal (http://royals.scout.com/a.z?s=281&p=8&c=1&nid=4995240) or collegiate southpaw Chris Sale (http://royals.scout.com/a.z?s=281&p=8&c=1&nid=4995180), the club instead opted for Cal State Fullerton shortstop Christian Colon (http://royals.scout.com/a.z?s=281&p=8&c=1&nid=4995231) with the fourth overall selection.

“We’re obviously real excited about our selection,” said farm director J.J. Picollo during a post-selection press conference at Kauffman Stadium.

Colon, whose Cal State Fullerton Titans are still playing in the NCAA tournament, entered Monday hitting an impressive .352/.439/.621 with 16 home runs in 253 at bats. A starter since his freshman year, the 21-year-old shortstop has built quite a resume since declining to sign with Seattle out of high school after the Mariners selected him in the 10th round of the 2007 draft.

“His numbers are as consistent as any college player over the last three years,” said Picollo. “It’s tremendous when you go back and track the history of what he’s done at Cal State Fullerton.”

Indeed, Colon’s accomplishments at the collegiate level are extraordinary. He was a Freshman All-American in 2008, and a Third-Team All-American last season, in addition to being named a finalist for the Brooks Wallace Award, which recognizes the nation’s top collegiate shortstop. Colon played for the U.S. National Team last summer, becoming the first player in team history to be named team captain.

“I think that speaks a lot about his character and his leadership abilities,” said Picollo. “He looks like a winner and carries himself like a winner.”

It is clear that Colon’s intangible qualities played a key role in his selection, in addition to his considerable tools and track record. In Colon the Royals see a winner who will fit in well with the culture the club is trying to build.

“I haven’t been more excited about any player that we’ve selected,” said general manager Dayton Moore. “This guy’s been on championship teams his whole life.”

Picollo echoed similar sentiments.

“He’s a tremendous leader. Everywhere he’s been, he’s been a part of winning programs and winning organizations.”

The Royals in recent drafts have invested heavily in high school talent. In 2008, a Burlington Bees (http://royals.scout.com/) squad led by 2007 first rounder Mike Moustakas (http://royals.scout.com/a.z?s=281&p=8&c=1&nid=4923067) claimed the Low-A Midwest League Championship, and the players from that team have largely stayed together as they’ve moved up the system. Picollo and Moore both emphasized that they feel Colon could join that group in short order as they move closer to the big leagues.

“That was part of the thought-process with his selection,” said Moore. “We selected him with the idea that he would move with that group of players.”

With Moustakas raking at Double-A, and 2008 first rounder Eric Hosmer (http://royals.scout.com/a.z?s=281&p=8&c=1&nid=4905353) tearing up the High-A Carolina League, the Royals appeared to be set with high impact players at the infield corners. What the organization lacked, however, was an elite shortstop prospect to add to that group. Enter Colon.

“He’s going to plug in well with the other prospects we have in the system,” said Picollo. “Up the middle is an area that we felt like we had to address to join that group of guys that we feel like are our future. And when you put all the pieces together, this one fit really well.”

At the plate, Colon is a line drive hitter who displays excellent plate discipline and rarely strikes out. He’s a gap-to-gap hitter who should hit for high averages. While Colon doesn’t have exceptional raw power, his power numbers are up this spring, and he leads the Titans with a career-best 16 home runs.

“I think that’s a sign of a kid who’s matured even more as a hitter and knows how to lift the ball in hitter’s counts,” said Picollo. “I think he’s got surprising power. When you watch him take batting practice, you don’t necessarily grade his raw power out as well as it plays in the game.”

On defense, Colon’s arm grades out at average to slightly above average, and he displays sure hands and excellent footwork. Some pre-draft scouting reports raised questions, however, about whether or not Colon will have the range to be able to stay at shortstop as a professional. The Royals, for their part, express no doubts and have no plans to move him.

“We selected him because he’s a shortstop,” said Picollo. “In our opinion, he’s the best in the country. We couldn’t be happier to have him.”

Concerns about his range were amplified after Colon suffered a serious injury last summer. Playing with the U.S. National Team, Colon broke two bones in his leg during a collision while turning a double play in the championship round against Canada. It was a long road to recovery for the young shortstop, but he steadily improved. After watching him all season, the Royals have no concerns.

“He was running much better at the end of the year,” said Picollo. “As the season went on, his running times have increased, and you can see the life in his feet.”

Royals fans might have to wait awhile, however, before seeing Colon’s name appear in a minor league box score. Just hours after the first round of the draft was completed, Cal State Fullerton won its regional bracket in the NCAA tournament and will now head off to the Super Regionals. Colon, for his part, put on an impressive display in the final, going 3-for-4 with a pair of doubles and three RBIs.

When the Titans’ season ends, the Royals will be able to sit down with the young infielder’s representatives and hammer out a deal. Colon is represented by Scott Boras, and if the club’s past dealings with the super-agent are any indication, it might take some time to come to an agreement. The Royals, however, don’t seem to be too concerned.

“We feel confident that we’ll be able to sign the player,” said Picollo.

Colon at a glance

Name: Christian Anthony Colon
Drafted: First Round, 2010 (fourth overall)
College: Cal State Fullerton
Position: Shortstop
DOB: 05/14/1989
Height: 6-0
Weight: 185 lbs
B/T: R/R

Collegiate Statistics

<TABLE style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width=460 border=1><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=34>Year

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=27>CL

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=27>AB

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=20>R

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=21>H

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=22>2B

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=20>3B

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=19>HR

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=20>RBI

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=45>SB-ATT

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=30>AVG

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=31>OBP

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=47>SLG

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=34>2008

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=27>FR

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=27>243

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=20>59

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=21>80

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=22>12

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=20>2

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=19>4

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=20>39

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=45>13-17

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=30>.329

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=31>.406

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=47>.444

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=34>2009

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=27>SO

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=27>255

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=20>82

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=21>91

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=22>16

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=20>2

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=19>8

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=20>40

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=45>15-22

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=30>.357

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=31>.438

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=47>.529

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=34>2010*

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=27>JR

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=27>253

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=20>67

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=21>89

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=22>16

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=19>16

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=20>64

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=45>12-18

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=30>.352

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=31>.439

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0 1px solid" width=47>.621

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

*-Current through June 6, 2010

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Nixhex
06-08-2010, 07:46 AM
His HR totals doubled every year. He hit for a good average and has had a solid OBP. The Royals need an everyday shortstop sooooooo freaking bad. I hope this kid pans out.

KevB
06-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Just looking at film of the best players left, AJ Cole really stands out to me. I also wouldn't be surprised if they went with Workman, with the idea of lining up prospects to be ready in 2012-2013.

alnorth
06-08-2010, 09:11 AM
For those wondering and not wanting to read the whole thread, the second round begins today at 11am. Not sure how many rounds they will go today, could be 15 rounds or so before finishing tomorrow.

Unlike football, you can only reasonably hope for a major leaguer in the first 3 or 4 rounds. After that, you are basically filling your minor league rosters with guys that no one really thinks will make it. A few always do in the late rounds, but its a total shot in the dark, diamond in the rough stuff.

I wont be able to follow it much this afternoon, hopefully we got some draft junkies who will keep us posted.

CoMoChief
06-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Given the Royals history, I bet this guy sucks.

alnorth
06-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Given the Royals history, I bet this guy sucks.

There's no obvious evidence of sucking at all, he seems to be one of the safest bets in the draft.

So, given the Royals history, he'll be seriously injured.

DeezNutz
06-08-2010, 09:19 AM
There's no obvious evidence of sucking at all, he seems to be one of the safest bets in the draft.

So, given the Royals history, he'll be seriously injured.

Or, given CoMo's impeccable record of predictions, he's going to be a fucking stud.

alnorth
06-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Its an inside article so cant repost, but Keith Law likes the pick. Said the Royals were stuck in a position where there was no obvious best player available, so they took a guy who is perfectly reasonable at this high spot, at a position of dire need, and who will hopefully knock Yuniesky Betancourt out of our lineup in a couple years.

Sure-Oz
06-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Sounds like a future 2nd baseman. We need one next year or ASAP.

I really hope he can stick at SS, we need one of those more. good game last night by him