PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Black people react in an idiotic manner toward greeting card.

Douche Baggins
06-06-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm embarrassed for the people raising a shitfit over this. They look petty and stubborn, because surely someone explained to them why they were wrong, but they continued to beat their drum and get this into the news.

Shit like this only makes the perception of black people in America worse. What a shame. Sometimes I loathe America.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=7475737
<object id="otvPlayer" height="268" width="400"></object>
CULVER CITY, Calif. (KABC) -- A graduation card sold at local stores has been pulled from shelves after a civil rights group raised concerns about the content. The group claims the card's micro-speaker plays a greeting that's racist.

It is a graduation greeting from Hallmark that says, "Hey world, we are officially putting you on notice."

Members of the Los Angeles NAACP did take notice. As characters known as "Hoops" and "Yoyo" banter on, African American leaders hear offensive language.

"And you black holes, you are so ominous. Watch your back," the card vocalizes.

"That was very demeaning to African American women. When it made reference to African American women as whores and at the end, it says 'watch your back,'" said Leon Jenkins of the Los Angeles NAACP.

When Hallmark was reached by phone, they said the card is all a misunderstanding. The card's theme is the solar system and emphasizes the power of the grad to take over the universe, even energy-absorbing black holes.

The card company says the card speaks about the power the grad will wield.

"The intent here is to say that this graduate is not afraid of anything," explained Hallmark spokesman Steve Doyal.

But that's not what some people heard.

"You hear the 'r' in there. 'Whores,' not, 'holes.' The 'r' is in there," said Minnie Hatley of the Los Angeles NAACP.

Hallmark sent Eyewitness News a transcript of what the card says, but Hatley says that the actual audio raises questions.

"It sounds like a group of children laughing and joking about blackness, again," said another NAACP member.

Hallmark is now notifying all of its stores to pull the card. Walgreens and CVS are doing the same.

"In any situation where there is a circumstance that we need to be sensitive to, we try to learn from that experience," said Doyal.

However, NAACP members say they do not want to see the card on store shelves ever again.

|Zach|
06-06-2010, 02:23 AM
Hoops and YoYo are pretty funny characters.

CoMoChief
06-06-2010, 02:56 AM
NAACP hears what they want to hear.......nothing new here.

Baby Lee
06-06-2010, 04:30 AM
OK, so which reaction is worse?

These people believe what they're saying, suggesting that as a group they have diminished mental capacity/facilities.

These people don't believe what they're saying, suggesting that as a group they have a penchant for inflaming racial resentments for political ends.

LOCOChief
06-06-2010, 05:41 AM
This crap definately effects my perception of Black people, having said that now I'll be called a racist.

Pioli Zombie
06-06-2010, 05:43 AM
Is an audio link provided? Because without hearing what they are hearing how can anyone form an opinion about those Black people?

HonestChieffan
06-06-2010, 06:19 AM
Guess that means it was a Race Card

BigChiefFan
06-06-2010, 06:26 AM

LMAO

AndChiefs
06-06-2010, 08:24 AM
There's a video on the website in the link that plays the card. It sounds like holes to me.

|Zach|
06-06-2010, 08:30 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B3cRqUBPsv4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B3cRqUBPsv4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Saul Good
06-06-2010, 08:42 AM
It absolutely says "holes". It couldn't be more clear.
Listen at the 30 second mark.

mikey23545
06-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Is an audio link provided? Because without hearing what they are hearing how can anyone form an opinion about those Black people?

Why? I can tell you're a fucking idiot without a link.

Saul Good
06-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Why? I can tell you're a ****ing idiot without a link.

If you need one anyway, plenty are available.

petegz28
06-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Oh FFS. I am so sick of this shit. Fuck the NAACP. Bunch of racist black people to begin with, imo. i would have kept the card on the shelf. Let the NAACP make a complete jackass of themselves.

petegz28
06-06-2010, 10:09 AM
It clearly says "holes". Secondly, do you think Hallmark is that idiotic? Thirdly, where is their outrage over all the rap songs using words like nigga's and hoes?

Chiefshrink
06-06-2010, 10:59 AM

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Excellent!!!

Saul Good
06-06-2010, 12:01 PM
It clearly says "holes". Secondly, do you think Hallmark is that idiotic? Thirdly, where is their outrage over all the rap songs using words like ****a's and hoes?

I think you need to listen more closely to the lyrics. Rap songs actually use the words "nillas" (as in the delicious wafers you got for snacks in pre-school) and "holes".

Either way, this is a real black eye for Hallmark. Can you blame a company if it spooks too easily in this economy? It's hard enough for businesses to stay in the black these days with consumers being so nigardly with their spending. Hallmark would rather sweep this away rather than risk having it stick to them like a tar baby.

NewChief
06-06-2010, 01:49 PM

I think you mean a Raza card.

Brainiac
06-06-2010, 01:55 PM
I think you need to listen more closely to the lyrics. Rap songs actually use the words "nillas" (as in the delicious wafers you got for snacks in pre-school) and "holes".

Either way, this is a real black eye for Hallmark. Can you blame a company if it spooks too easily in this economy? It's hard enough for businesses to stay in the black these days with consumers being so nigardly with their spending. Hallmark would rather sweep this away rather than risk having it stick to them like a tar baby.
This is known as black humor.

RJ
06-06-2010, 04:53 PM
I remember a thread here a while back where there was a video of some sort of religious ceremony and everybody was convinced they were saying something about praising Obama. But then Jilly came along and pointed out everyone was hearing it wrong and what they were saying had nothing to do with Obama. After that the thread sort of died. It was a lot like this greeting card thing, only without the NAACP.

My experience in life is that people hear what they want to hear, and it's especially true if you tell them what they'll hear before they hear it.

Garcia Bronco
06-06-2010, 05:14 PM
If the recording is bad enough it could sound that way. Especially if some one didn't understand or know the theme of the card. It sounds like a gay idea for a card anyway.

Saul Good
06-06-2010, 05:28 PM
This is known as black humor.

racist

googlegoogle
06-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Didn't some professor get in trouble talking about space and blackholes to black people? It would be nice if someone had the guts to tell blacks to shutup.

ClevelandBronco
06-06-2010, 06:53 PM
If the recording is bad enough it could sound that way. Especially if some one didn't understand or know the theme of the card. It sounds like a gay idea for a card anyway.

Like there are greeting card ideas that aren't gay.

notorious
06-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Meh. There are crazy, idiotic people in every race.

HonestChieffan
06-06-2010, 08:14 PM
If Hallmark does a Christmas Card that plays White Christmas, I am so totally through with Hallmark.

vailpass
06-06-2010, 08:23 PM
If Hallmark does a Christmas Card that plays White Christmas, I am so totally through with Hallmark.

:D

AustinChief
06-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Didn't some professor get in trouble talking about space and blackholes to black people? It would be nice if someone had the guts to tell blacks to shutup.

Nope, Dallas politician. John Wiley Price.

Chiefshrink
06-06-2010, 10:35 PM
My experience in life is that people hear what they want to hear, and it's especially true if you tell them what they'll hear before they hear it.

Yes, they are called "useful idiots".

Pestilence
06-07-2010, 02:42 PM
I like how they leave out the part where it says....

"And you planets.....watch your back."

Yep....they're talking about black women there.