PDA

View Full Version : Music Opinions wanted

el borracho
06-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Who, in your opinion, is the most creative and/or talented person(s) currently making music?

ClevelandBronco
06-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Whoever it is is way too talented and creative to be popular.

vailpass
06-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Good question. I don't know but I can't wait to see who is first to suggest it is a rapper.

Ebolapox
06-06-2010, 07:13 PM
ROFL

it's funny, eminem came to mind before I even saw vailpass' post.

el borracho
06-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Whoever it is is way too talented and creative to be popular.

Great! Maybe we'll be turned on to some unknown before they hit.

el borracho
06-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Good question. I don't know but I can't wait to see who is first to suggest it is a rapper.

Wouldn't be my choice, but I think an argument could be made for Kanye West. Anyway, I'm looking for opinions- not facts.

el borracho
06-06-2010, 07:17 PM
ROFL

it's funny, eminem came to mind before I even saw vailpass' post.

Is Eminem still making music? I haven't heard anything from him in years.

luv
06-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Weird Al

Reaper16
06-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Prince.

Ebolapox
06-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Is Eminem still making music? I haven't heard anything from him in years.

yeah, he had 'rap album of the year' last year and his release this year (that was pushed back to this month at some point last year) was considered the most anticipated release of the end of last year (assume that it follows to this year).

he went through rehab for prescription pill addiction and writer's block caused by the death of 'proof.' still as creative as ever, though.

Ebolapox
06-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Weird Al

much as I love weird al, it's hard for me to consider what he does creative. some of his parodies are ingenious/genius, but you rarely see the side of his art that isn't a ripoff of another song.

Ebolapox
06-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Prince.

it's 2am in the morning in Minneapolis. I need a camel.

Phobia
06-06-2010, 07:29 PM
It's probably one of those American Idol winners. Jessica Sparks or somebody like that.

el borracho
06-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Weird Al

Weird Al Spankabitch? You must be kidding!

el borracho
06-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Prince.

He is certainly talented; basically made his entire first album all on his own, didn't he?

CHENZ A!
06-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Prince.

I agree with this, and also the Kanye West suggestion too.
Posted via Mobile Device

el borracho
06-06-2010, 07:35 PM
yeah, he had 'rap album of the year' last year and his release this year (that was pushed back to this month at some point last year) was considered the most anticipated release of the end of last year (assume that it follows to this year).

he went through rehab for prescription pill addiction and writer's block caused by the death of 'proof.' still as creative as ever, though.

He's definitely talented, although I can't say I really ever related to his music overly much. Makes sense, I guess, seeing that I didn't grow up in the projects. Still, a viable candidate.

Ebolapox
06-06-2010, 07:36 PM
prince is right up there. he's fucking nutty, though.

el borracho
06-06-2010, 07:38 PM
prince is right up there. he's ****ing nutty, though.

Oh, I think that is a trend among artists. Not just musicians, either. Picasso and Van Gogh were certainly out there.

luv
06-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Weird Al Spankabitch? You must be kidding!

You don't think he's talented? The dude makes polka cool, and, if you really listen, he can sing. And he's funny.

Ebolapox
06-06-2010, 07:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kevin+smith+prince&aq=f

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R73S6sIaIqY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R73S6sIaIqY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Rain Man
06-06-2010, 07:42 PM
The question is about music, not rap.

Springsteen is past his prime, but his music still has a great combination of lyrics and music.

While I'm only a so-so fan, and her name is an embarrassment to type, Lady Gaga is doing some pretty creative stuff.

I'm not sure anyone else is recording music right now.

Miles
06-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Too many variables to really name someone. Maybe Thom Yorke? Two greats that are still active and haven't lost much are Bowie and Gilmour.

Rain Man
06-06-2010, 07:53 PM
You don't think he's talented? The dude makes polka cool, and, if you really listen, he can sing. And he's funny.

Unless he's changed his schtick, he doesn't write his own music. He puts new lyrics to other people's music, which means by definition that his maximum score is 50 out of 100.

el borracho
06-06-2010, 07:54 PM

Well, to be fair, I've only heard his parodies. While I do think the parodies are clever, I do not think they are overly creative. I don't know... does he have original music that I should be listening to? :shrug:

luv
06-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Unless he's changed his schtick, he doesn't write his own music. He puts new lyrics to other people's music, which means by definition that his maximum score is 50 out of 100.

Point taken.

Rain Man
06-06-2010, 07:57 PM
I must admit, I like Weird Al's birthday song and would prefer it to be sung at parties instead of the traditional birthday song. I think it's an original composition, but I'm not sure.

Ebolapox
06-06-2010, 07:57 PM

Springsteen is past his prime, but his music still has a great combination of lyrics and music.

While I'm only a so-so fan, and her name is an embarrassment to type, Lady Gaga is doing some pretty creative stuff.

without getting into that age-old debate, rap is music as well. it might be a generational thing (as rap/hip hop has been around since the late 70's, it may NOT be a generational thing--who knows), but it's bullshit to exclude something just because you may/may not like it.

Miles
06-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Well, to be fair, I've only heard his parodies. While I do think the parodies are clever, I do not think they are overly creative. I don't know... does he have original music that I should be listening to? :shrug:

No. Nothing other than parody shit. Basically the same thing as the typical spoof movie which are also shit.

Rain Man
06-06-2010, 08:00 PM
It's worth checking out. Weird Al's birthday song.

(Can't imbed.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNNkXPGLC9o

yhf
06-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Billy Corgan, Prince, Wilco, Matt Pike

luv
06-06-2010, 08:01 PM
No. Nothing other than parody shit. Basically the same thing as the typical spoof movie which are also shit.

Well damn. Can we just forget I mentioned it? I'm a chick on a football BB. Obviously, my opinions are a dime a dozen.

el borracho
06-06-2010, 08:02 PM

Springsteen is interesting. I think if he got hooked up with the right producer, he could do something similar to what Johnny Cash did- explore some material outside of his element.

Gaga is actually what prompted this thread. Last week I saw some videos on youtube of her live performances and I was (literally) in disbelief. I've always liked her radio stuff, but really underestimated her. Her live performances are incredible.

Rain Man
without getting into that age-old debate, rap is music as well. it might be a generational thing (as rap/hip hop has been around since the late 70's, it may NOT be a generational thing--who knows), but it's bullshit to exclude something just because you may/may not like it.

Okay, you can put it in the same category over there with Middle Eastern music and that Indian stuff that doesn't use a normal music scale. Yeah, over there. In the back.

A little further.

A little further.

Keep going.

Yeah. Keep going. All the way.

That's good.

ClearmontChief
Keith Urban. Extremely talented musician. Best live show I've seen.

el borracho
06-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Too many variables to really name someone. Maybe Thom Yorke? Two greats that are still active and haven't lost much are Bowie and Gilmour.

So many people love Radiohead. I have to admit, I don't think I know any of their material other than Creep.

Quick list of their best?

Rain Man
06-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Springsteen is interesting. I think if he got hooked up with the right producer, he could do something similar to what Johnny Cash did- explore some material outside of his element.

Gaga is actually what prompted this thread. Last week I saw some videos on youtube of her live performances and I was (literally) in disbelief. I've always liked her radio stuff, but really underestimated her. Her live performances are incredible.

My first inclination was to dismiss her as your typical dance music person, and my second inclination was to dismiss her as a video fad, but her stuff seems to have a lot going for it. It's not completely my type of music, but I'm impressed nonetheless.

vailpass
06-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Okay, you can put it in the same category over there with Middle Eastern music and that Indian stuff that doesn't use a normal music scale. Yeah, over there. In the back.

A little further.

A little further.

Keep going.

Yeah. Keep going. All the way.

That's good.

:D

Rain Man
06-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Well damn. Can we just forget I mentioned it? I'm a chick on a football BB. Obviously, my opinions are a dime a dozen.

Did you listen to the birthday song? You should submit him again and use that as an example.

CoMoChief
06-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Adam Lambert

Thread over.

el borracho
06-06-2010, 08:07 PM

Don't know much about him. What sets him apart? Voice? Guitar? Lyrics?

Tribal Warfare
06-06-2010, 08:09 PM
I defer to Dane on this one

el borracho
06-06-2010, 08:10 PM
My first inclination was to dismiss her as your typical dance music person, and my second inclination was to dismiss her as a video fad, but her stuff seems to have a lot going for it. It's not completely my type of music, but I'm impressed nonetheless.

Well, I didn't really dismiss her as I like her radio material and the official music videos. I just had no idea she was so talented outside of that. If you haven't already seen it, go to youtube and search for "lady gaga speechless vevo"

Oh, and prepare to have your socks knocked off.

cdcox
06-06-2010, 08:10 PM
In before Rush was mentioned.

el borracho
06-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Adam Lambert

Thread over.

Heh. I actually do like his one song (is my California showing?) and will say he has an impressive voice but I haven't seen/heard him do anything extraordinary.

luv
I defer to Dane on this one

Pretty sure the thread title isn't "Dane's Music Opinions wanted".

Embarrass yourself with the rest of us!

el borracho
In before Rush was mentioned.

That was a great concert!

(in 1986)

el borracho
06-06-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm sure I will be ridiculed, but I actually think an argument could be made for Gwen Stefani and/or Justin Timberlake. They are both talented songwriters that have had success in multiple genres.

luv
06-06-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm sure I will be ridiculed, but I actually think an argument could be made for Gwen Stefani and/or Justin Timberlake. They are both talented songwriters that have had success in multiple genres.

I agree, so, yeah, expect to be ridiculed.

el borracho
06-06-2010, 08:21 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_7HvURBhMGE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_7HvURBhMGE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

ClearmontChief
06-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Don't know much about him. What sets him apart? Voice? Guitar? Lyrics?

First of all, ton of energy. Excellent entertainment with the crowd. Best 'Country' guitar picker around. Set down at a baby grand and made it sing. Was thoroughly impressed.

Now, I've heard several, not a ton, but several nice acts. And, Urban is by far the best show I've ever seen.

Carrie Underwood opened for him, and frankly it was a very pretty yawner.

Lady Antebellum, very nice show...but, just nice.

Tim McGraw, this is probably going to be argued with...but, grab your CD, put it in the player, and that's ALL you got. Wasn't entertained at all.

Alabama. I loved them...but, they weren't all that entertaining either.

Lynard Skynard 'Tribute' tour (with surviving members). Nice, liked it.

Carrie Underwood winning 'entertainer of the year' is a joke. Pretty singer, sure, but was a big yawn. Then, Urban took the stage! WOW, 2 hours of heart pumping energy, and great up-tempo country music.

Miles
06-06-2010, 08:32 PM
So many people love Radiohead. I have to admit, I don't think I know any of their material other than Creep.

Creep and their first album is rather mediocre IMO. Check out the Bends. It's probably the easiest of their albums to get into but OK Computer is probably their best. They have also put out some outstanding stuff after that.

Embedding is disabled on most of these so here are just youtube links. Just a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uYWYWPc9HU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPX3u0XJzKM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgzeqwhNTDk

A favorite of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdFTNy_UTGU&feature=related

And if you are open to more random Kid A is fucking great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrpGhEVyrk0

el borracho
06-06-2010, 08:33 PM
First of all, ton of energy. Excellent entertainment with the crowd. Best 'Country' guitar picker around. Set down at a baby grand and made it sing. Was thoroughly impressed.

Ah, big points with me on two counts
1. ability to meet or exceed recorded effort live
2. ability to excel at more than just one thing. It's one thing to dedicate your life to one instrument, it's another thing to move across instruments and/or genres, IMO.

What song/songs should I check out?

Ebolapox
06-06-2010, 08:34 PM
and I'll (third?) gaga. she's immensely talented and creative.

Rain Man
06-06-2010, 08:42 PM

Timberlake is another one that I immediately wrote off as a bubble-gum guy, but he's so entertaining on Saturday Night Live that I may have to give his music a listen. He's got a great presence.

Ebolapox
06-06-2010, 08:44 PM
yeah, I wrote off timberlake for years. however, he's incredibly talented. one could make a severe distinction in this thread: talent vs. creativity. one doesn't have to be one to have the other, and vice versa. there are many people who are talented (some japanese guitarists come to mind, they're like robots) who have no creativity, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who have tonnes of creativity and little to no talent.

Rain Man
06-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Yeah, and you've got a lot of people who are one-dimensionally talented, as was mentioned earlier. Elton John's best songs had someone else writing the lyrics (I think - or was it the music?). Meat Loaf is very talented as a singer, but his best songs came from Steinman. And of course you've got guitar players and pianists and stuff all over the place who can't write a song worth a lick.

That's why I still put Springsteen really high. He writes music, he plays the guitar, he even does some piano and harmonica, and he still captures a voice of the people.

Oh! You know who else is really good? Ben Folds. His work is very uneven - some of it is total crapola - but his good stuff is really, really good. And he sings, plays, and writes.

el borracho
06-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Timberlake is another one that I immediately wrote off as a bubble-gum guy, but he's so entertaining on Saturday Night Live that I may have to give his music a listen. He's got a great presence.

Oh, me, too. But his bubble-gum days are long gone and he's making some really impressive grown-up music. Very talented.

Ebolapox
06-06-2010, 08:53 PM
I'd agree with ben folds. love 'whatever and ever amen' by ben folds 5, and love most of his solo work.

seclark
06-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Rick Astley gets a lot of play on the internet, so he must have something going.
sec

el borracho
06-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Yeah, and you've got a lot of people who are one-dimensionally talented, as was mentioned earlier. Elton John's best songs had someone else writing the lyrics (I think - or was it the music?). Meat Loaf is very talented as a singer, but his best songs came from Steinman. And of course you've got guitar players and pianists and stuff all over the place who can't write a song worth a lick.

That's why I still put Springsteen really high. He writes music, he plays the guitar, he even does some piano and harmonica, and he still captures a voice of the people.

Oh! You know who else is really good? Ben Folds. His work is very uneven - some of it is total crapola - but his good stuff is really, really good. And he sings, plays, and writes.

Bob Dylan comes to mind. Incredibly creative songwriter (maybe the most creative of the last century), not so great in other arenas.

Count Zarth
06-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Weird Al Yankovic.

el borracho
06-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Weird Al Yankovic.

You and luv do have some commonalities, don't you?

Count Zarth
06-06-2010, 09:00 PM
much as I love weird al, it's hard for me to consider what he does creative. some of his parodies are ingenious/genius, but you rarely see the side of his art that isn't a ripoff of another song.

His style parodies are incredible. Furthermore, his ability to sing accurately, beautifully and on key in almost any genre is unparalleled. He is a musical genius and we won't see another Weird Al for decades.

<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BtsQxUYHXbw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

Count Zarth
06-06-2010, 09:03 PM
You and luv do have some commonalities, don't you?

We'll probably get married eventually.

Reaper16
06-06-2010, 09:03 PM

Remind me to never buy market research from you.<object height="385" width="480"></object>

luv
06-06-2010, 09:05 PM
We'll probably get married eventually.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. This thread went south real quick.

Count Zarth
06-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa. This thread went south real quick.

We'll march down the aisle to "Good Enough For Now"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xwHlTV0VFTA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xwHlTV0VFTA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ClearmontChief
06-06-2010, 09:12 PM
2. ability to excel at more than just one thing. It's one thing to dedicate your life to one instrument, it's another thing to move across instruments and/or genres, IMO.

I don't even know where to start. Next day after the concert I bought a 'Greatest Hits' collection. Love it. Everybody, Got It Right This Time, Who Wouldn't Wanna Be Me, Kiss The Girl, Raining on Sunday, Tonight I want to Cry, Somebody Like You, Stupid Boy, You Look Good In My Shirt, Your Everything; are a few of my favorites amoung many more.

el borracho
06-06-2010, 09:13 PM
For Rainman:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nJHYDkvRB2Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nJHYDkvRB2Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

luv
06-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Not as a nomination, but I wanted to see what you all thought of Finger Eleven. They're coming to the fair here in Springfield this year. Is it worth sitting in the heat to check them out?

ClearmontChief
06-06-2010, 09:19 PM

Dude came out into the crowd during a song, finished, handed his guitar to his security guy, pointed at a little kid, and security guy went over and gave the guitar to the kid.

I understand he was really strung out for years. But, being married to Nicole Kidman has done him well. Dried out, cleaned it up, and he's really pumping out strong music. Really strong, up-tempo, contempory Country.

I don't like old country, I'm strictly old Rock and newer Country (last 25-30 years).

I'd really like to see Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney, Alan Jackson, George Straight, The Eagles, and Keith Urban share an afternoon concert.

Count Zarth
06-06-2010, 09:19 PM
As an aside, "opinions wanted" is about the worst thread title ever.

el borracho
06-06-2010, 09:22 PM
As an aside, "opinions wanted" is about the worst thread title ever.

Oh, I doubt it's even in the bottom ten.

As an aside to your aside, you seem more critical than usual, lately.

Count Zarth
06-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Oh, I doubt it's even in the bottom ten.

I disagree. Pretty much every thread on Chiefsplanet implies "opinions wanted."

When you title a thread, it should have something about the content. When I clicked this, I didn't know if you wanted to know about onions, porn or sea creatures.

Rain Man
06-06-2010, 09:27 PM
I'd agree with ben folds. love 'whatever and ever amen' by ben folds 5, and love most of his solo work.

Is that an album or a song? He's so prolific that I don't know a lot of his stuff.

"Landed" and "Jesusland" are 'wow' songs for me. I could probably name a half-dozen others that are 'wow' songs, too. Love his stuff.

el borracho
06-06-2010, 09:27 PM
I disagree. Pretty much every thread on Chiefsplanet implies "opinions wanted."

When you title a thread, it should have something about the content. When I clicked this, I didn't know if you wanted to know about onions, porn or sea creatures.

Any which way with those choices you'll be reaching for the tissues, I guess. Ah, if only I had an editor to give my work just a little direction.

Miles
06-06-2010, 09:28 PM
His style parodies are incredible. Furthermore, his ability to sing accurately, beautifully and on key in almost any genre is unparalleled. He is a musical genius and we won't see another Weird Al for decades.

Why can he not create anything of his own? Parody is largely just lame shit.

CoMoChief
06-06-2010, 09:28 PM

Extremely good guitar player.

luv
06-06-2010, 09:34 PM

It's his schtick. Maybe he just likes making people laugh. Some people just have that personality.

Count Zarth
06-06-2010, 09:36 PM

Spoken like someone who doesn't even listen to Weird Al.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CBbDcyqnqHE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CBbDcyqnqHE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Rain Man
06-06-2010, 09:37 PM
When I saw the title "Opinions Wanted", I immediately clicked on the thread, because I have a lot of opinions I'd like to share. Here are a few of them:

I like cashews.

I wish there was more art in museums with alien themes.

Prismatic should be a car color option.

Perkiness is more important than size when evaluating breasts.

Resumes with frequent job changes rate lower than other resumes.

I think everyone should trade jobs with a random person for one month a year.

I think the above policy should be optional for surgeons.

Nzoner
06-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pLirHjBscSU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pLirHjBscSU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p8jm61vk2Ao&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p8jm61vk2Ao&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

penchief
06-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Creative AND talented? Someone who's been doing it for years and is still producing brilliant music is David Bowie. His music won't be making any pop charts but it's as uniquely original, as hauntingly beautiful, and as edgy as his music has always been. He's a great songwriter and possesses one of the most unique and powerful singing voices you'll ever hear. Throw in his theatrical stage presence and you'd be hard pressed to find very many who are as creative and talented.

SPATCH
06-06-2010, 10:24 PM

I don't trust a man who doesn't appreciate OK Computer

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9LGdfHRDEDs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9LGdfHRDEDs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ebolapox
06-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Is that an album or a song? He's so prolific that I don't know a lot of his stuff.

"Landed" and "Jesusland" are 'wow' songs for me. I could probably name a half-dozen others that are 'wow' songs, too. Love his stuff.

it's an album. you may recognize the song 'brick' from it. otherwise, it got little radio play and it's in my top five alltime favorite albums.

Pablo
06-06-2010, 11:08 PM

Thom Yorke gets a serious nod.

Pablo
06-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Billy Corgan, Prince, Wilco, Matt Pike

I can't get into Wilco for the life of me.

I own YHF and never listen to it.

Pablo
06-06-2010, 11:17 PM
I don't trust a man who doesn't appreciate OK Computer

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9LGdfHRDEDs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9LGdfHRDEDs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
OKC owns best album of the last 15 years easily in my book.

I love Kid A also. My two faves.

Von Dumbass
06-06-2010, 11:39 PM
I don't listen to music. It seems like everyone who does is either a gangster, redneck, or dresses in black and cuts themselves.

Pablo
06-06-2010, 11:41 PM
I don't listen to music. It seems like everyone who does is either a gangster, redneck, or dresses in black and cuts themselves.

Yeah man. Got my iPod on. Cuttin myself and bleeding all over my XXXL tall tee. David Allen Coe just gets me amped.

BTW this might be the stupidest fucking post you've ever made. And that's saying something.

Jethopper
06-06-2010, 11:44 PM
justin bieber

Inspector
06-07-2010, 06:05 AM
Great blend of pop, rock and just great listening....

Who else?

(click link below....)

Of course music, like so many other things, is dependant on personal taste. Like Barbeque sauce.

Inspector
06-07-2010, 06:19 AM
Oh and yeah, I'm biased. Obviously.

(If you don't listen to any others, at least treat yourself to "Goodbye My Love")

Baby Lee
06-07-2010, 06:37 AM

Really, all of Kid A and OK Computer will rock your shit, but to get you started, youtube;

Everything in its right place
The National Anthem
Exit Music (for a Film)
Paranoid Android
No Surprises

Baby Lee
06-07-2010, 06:45 AM
In addition to Ol' Thom, I'd put a word in for Kyp Malone. I'm not as much of a lyrics guy as a music guy, but this song has both in BALLS!!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NP4pHeRSK1E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NP4pHeRSK1E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

stevieray
06-07-2010, 07:05 AM
Mellencamp's latest album is decent.

Nzoner
06-07-2010, 07:10 AM
Mellencamp's latest album is decent.

Tom Petty and Steve Miller both have new projects coming out as well but alas it seems that no one(at least around here) could give a shit.I posted a thread yesterday showing Petty's newest release with no response while the new Eminem song thread is closing in on 30.Just goes to show, the times,they have a changed my friend.

stevieray
06-07-2010, 07:12 AM
Tom Petty and Steve Miller both have new projects coming out as well but alas it seems that no one(at least around here) could give a shit.I posted a thread yesterday showing Petty's newest release with no response while the new Eminem song thread is closing in on 30.Just goes to show the times,they have a changed my friend.

thanks for he the heads up about petty and miller.

gonna see jimmie vaughan on june 17th.

|Zach|
06-07-2010, 07:17 AM
Sufjan Stevens
Grizzly Bear (band)
Geoff Farina
Mos Def

Nzoner
06-07-2010, 07:36 AM
thanks for he the heads up about petty and miller.

gonna see jimmie vaughan on june 17th.

That should be a good show,it's too bad you missed Walkenhorst up here(rain or not) he and his band rocked the place,sounded just like The Rainmakers and played all the greats.

BigChiefFan
06-07-2010, 07:41 AM
Chickenfoot is solid rock. I've been digging their CD for a while now.

Molitoth
06-07-2010, 07:55 AM
This thread makes me wanna puke.

BigChiefFan
06-07-2010, 07:55 AM
This thread makes me wanna puke.Do it.

Nzoner
06-07-2010, 07:57 AM
This thread makes me wanna puke.

Hey at least there was ONE mention of Steven Wilson

KCUnited
06-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Dax Riggs.

MOhillbilly
06-07-2010, 08:14 AM
for country - james McMurtry

NewChief
06-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Sufjan Stevens
Grizzly Bear (band)
Geoff Farina
Mos Def

Sufjan is impressive.

If he were still making music and hadn't turned into such a colossal douchebag, I'd throw Ryan Adams' hat into the mix. At his peak, he was impressive... unfortunately he watered down his talent with a bunch of mediocre offerings. The guy's musical scope is impressive, though.

Reaper16
06-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Why did this turn into a "Let's name some good artists that we like" thread? The OP asked for "the most creative and/or talented" artist. THE most.

BigChiefFan
06-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Why did this turn into a "Let's name some good artists that we like" thread? The OP asked for "the most creative and/or talented" artist. THE most.

Joe Satriani of Chickenfoot would be considered by many the MOST TALENTED.

Reaper16
06-07-2010, 08:25 AM
Joe Satriani of Chickenfoot would be considered by many the MOST TALENTED.
It is actually physically painful to read "Joe Satriani of Chickenfoot" - a technically true sentence but one that reads like an implication that he is primarily known or valued for his work in Chickenfoot.

Satch is certainly extremely talented; there's no disputing that. He's a legend.

BigChiefFan
06-07-2010, 08:29 AM
It is actually physically painful to read "Joe Satriani of Chickenfoot" - a technically true sentence but one that reads like an implication that he is primarily known or valued for his work in Chickenfoot.

Satch is certainly extremely talented; there's no disputing that. He's a legend. You're seeing what you want to see and not what was said. Again, he's in Chickenfoot and he fucking wails with that band, too. Apparently, Delano was wrong.

NewChief
06-07-2010, 08:30 AM
One problem I have is the distinction between musical/instrumental virtuosity and creative genius. They're two different things.

BigChiefFan
06-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Read it again...Who, in your opinion, is the most creative and/or talented person(s) currently making music?

Reaper16
06-07-2010, 08:34 AM
You're seeing what you want to see and not what was said.
I saw what was said; that's why I said it was "technically true." It also reads a certain other way because Joe Satriani is a name that does not need a clarification of who he is.

MOhillbilly
06-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Ol reaper loves him some brass tacs.

Brock
06-07-2010, 08:45 AM
I've heard of Satriani. What's a chickenfoot?

Stanley Nickels
06-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Skipped a lot of this thread, so if this is a repost, go fuck yourself:

For me, I define talent to be a measure of ability to make music that can consistently, over time, keep folks interested and entertained. For me, nobody has been able to do that better than Thom Yorke. The musical evolution from Pablo Honey/ The Bends right up to Eraser is astounding, and everything (save, IMO, In Rainbows has been entertaining and incredibly high quality.

Also considered would be Beck. I know a lot of people think he's a hack, but I couldn't disagree more. Sea Change is one of the best albums of the past decade.

MOhillbilly
06-07-2010, 08:48 AM
James McMurtry and The Heartless Bastards

Choctaw Bingo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBpD87_w4Sg

NewChief
06-07-2010, 08:51 AM
James McMurtry and The Heartless Bastards

Choctaw Bingo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBpD87_w4Sg

The Heartless Bastards are solid. Saw them a few months back, and I had a damned fine time. James McMurtry, as you know, is a badass.

Saccopoo
06-07-2010, 09:35 AM

OK Computer is one of, if not the best album of the last 25 years, and could be argued that it is the best of all time (modern era). However, Radiohead's worst album is better than the vast majority of other bands best efforts and their entire catalog is worthy of ownership.

I'd include some others in terms of making quality music:

Lyle Lovett
- IMO, only Radiohead has put out more albums of better quality over their career than Lovett. Everything he does is absolutely fantastic, and he utilizes a wide variety of influences and methods in his musical presentation that accompanies introspective, creative song writing.

Beck
- He's only gotten better since his breakout album "Mellow Gold" was released in 1994. "Odelay" was a landmark and everything he's done is stunning in it's creativity and musical adroitness.

Steve Earle
- If you don't like Steve Earle, then you can go **** yourself because you are stupid and don't like music. Earle's "I Feel Alright" contains some of the best song lyrics ever.

Ben Harper
- Ever since his debut album, "Welcome to the Cruel World," was released in 1994, Harper has been putting out incredibly good, varied and thought provoking albums.

Jack White
- His White Stripe albums are nothing short of amazing, and his followup projects with the Raconteurs and The Dead Weather have been met with critical acclaim. As well, he's been involved in numerous highly regarded collaborations.

Nick Cave
- Whether it be with his band The Bad Seeds or as an alternative personality such as Grinderman (2008) or in duets on the album "Murder Ballads," Nick Cave has been one of the most consistently great singer/songwriters of the past two decades.

Thurston Moore
- The genius behind one of the greatest alt-rock bands ever (Sonic Youth, who's two landmark albums "Sister" and "Daydream Nation" should be in everyone's music collection), and a person who is generally regarded as one of the best guitarists in modern music, Moore has put out great music forever. His 2008 release "Trees Outside the Academy" was one of that years best albums IMO.

Animal Collective
- While relatively youthful, they have put out some of the most critically acclaimed and innovative music over the past several years, whether as a the band Animal Collective, in collaborations or as solo artists (Panda Bear's "Bros" was utterly amazing).

Prince and Bruce Springsteen have been mentioned earlier, but they are so good, they get mentioned again.

Others:
Ani di Franco
PJ Harvey
John Mayer
Jack Johnson
Lucinda Williams
Nick Drake/Elliott Smith - (Both completely under appreciated in their short lifetimes, but both incredibly influential on legions of singer/songwriters. Drake's "Pink Moon" is one of my fav albums of all time, a literally timeless sounding record, but he only sold several thousand copies on it's initial release in 1972. Smith's "Either/Or" is fantastic as well.)

Omaha
06-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Who, in your opinion, is the most creative and/or talented person(s) currently making music?

First, great question. My incredibly simplified answer: Beck

Omaha
06-07-2010, 09:45 AM
OK Computer is one of, if not the best album of the last 25 years, and could be argued that it is the best of all time (modern era). However, Radiohead's worst album is better than the vast majority of other bands best efforts and their entire catalog is worthy of ownership.

I'd include some others in terms of making quality music:

Lyle Lovett
- IMO, only Radiohead has put out more albums of better quality over their career than Lovett. Everything he does is absolutely fantastic, and he utilizes a wide variety of influences and methods in his musical presentation that accompanies introspective, creative song writing.

Beck
- He's only gotten better since his breakout album "Mellow Gold" was released in 1994. "Odelay" was a landmark and everything he's done is stunning in it's creativity and musical adroitness.

Steve Earle
- If you don't like Steve Earle, then you can go **** yourself because you are stupid and don't like music. Earle's "I Feel Alright" contains some of the best song lyrics ever.

Ben Harper
- Ever since his debut album, "Welcome to the Cruel World," was released in 1994, Harper has been putting out incredibly good, varied and thought provoking albums.

Nick Cave
- Whether it be with his band The Bad Seeds or as an alternative personality such as Grinderman (2008) or in duets on the album "Murder Ballads," Nick Cave has been one of the most consistently great singer/songwriters of the past two decades.

Thurston Moore
- The genius behind one of the greatest alt-rock bands ever (Sonic Youth, who's two landmark albums "Sister" and "Daydream Nation" should be in everyone's music collection), and a person who is generally regarded as one of the best guitarists in modern music, Moore has put out great music forever. His 2008 release "Trees Outside the Academy" was one of that years best albums IMO.

Animal Collective
- While relatively youthful, they have put out some of the most critically acclaimed and innovative music over the past several years, whether as a the band Animal Collective, in collaborations or as solo artists (Panda Bear's "Bros" was utterly amazing).

Great post! I just want to throw this out there. I feel like Beck's Modern Guilt CD is possibly the first that I can think of to challenge OK Computer for that honor.

I really like what the Raconteurs are doing and I am looking forward to hearing new stuff from them.

Saccopoo
06-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Great post! I just want to throw this out there. I feel like Beck's Modern Guilt CD is possibly the first that I can think of to challenge OK Computer for that honor.

I really like what the Raconteurs are doing and I am looking forward to hearing new stuff from them.

Great call!

I forgot to include Jack White in my list, and he deserves every bit of the recognition for putting out some insanely great music, whether it be with the White Stripes, Raconteurs, Dead Weather or side projects with people like Loretta Lynn.

Nixhex
Jack White

Nixhex
Damn. Seconds too late.

Omaha
06-07-2010, 09:59 AM

Great call on Ben Folds. Total crapola????? I have every CD & I like them all.

Omaha
06-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Jack White

Ha! It still counts.

Ebolapox
06-07-2010, 10:24 AM
justin bieber

I fucking hate you.

KCChiefsMan
06-07-2010, 11:20 AM
For quality, I think Pearl Jam can still be talked about here. Their new stuff is really good, they did a soundtrack for Into the Wild which was really good as well. Maybe not super creative, but it's new and good.

Rain Man
06-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Great call on Ben Folds. Total crapola????? I have every CD & I like them all.

I like most of it, but there are some CDs that I listened to once and then said, "Ehhhh, back to Songs for Silverman and Ben Folds Live". Maybe I should give them another try.

Omaha
06-07-2010, 12:06 PM
I like most of it, but there are some CDs that I listened to once and then said, "Ehhhh, back to Songs for Silverman and Ben Folds Live". Maybe I should give them another try.

Some of them took a few listens, but the guy is amazing. He's unbelievable live, too.

I actually met him after a show in the early 90s. He was helping load up the bus!

vailpass
06-07-2010, 12:32 PM

Satch is certainly extremely talented; there's no disputing that. He's a legend.

Holy shit we agree 100% on something.
Chickenfoot my ass.
Joe Sat does them a favor playing with them and would be just as good without them.

Sannyasi
06-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Merzbow.

Seriously though, the names that immediately came to mind were David Bowie, Elvis Costello, and Neil Diamond. You could argue about the quality of their current output, but hard to argue against their bodies of work.

Infidel Goat
06-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Since nobody else has done so, I'll throw out The National.

GoHuge
06-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but Imogen Heap is bad ass. About the only one I can think of that hasn't been mentioned.

MoreLemonPledge
06-07-2010, 02:11 PM
If I had to pick only one person/group, it's Radiohead. Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood can be described as nothing but geniuses.

SPATCH
06-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Matthew Bellamy of MUSE has unquestioned talent. Incredible singer, incredible guitar player, and insanely good pianist. Seriously, the guy can really tickle the ivories.

Pablo
06-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Matthew Bellamy of MUSE has unquestioned talent. Incredible singer, incredible guitar player, and insanely good pianist. Seriously, the guy can really tickle the ivories.
I can't listen to Radiohead-lite. I prefer the real thing.

SPATCH
06-07-2010, 09:23 PM
I can't listen to Radiohead-lite. I prefer the real thing.

I specifically didn't say "creative" because I knew that would prompt the Radiohead-Lite comments.

I won't argue it. MUSE has been heavily influenced by Radiohead, there is no doubt about that. I, however, don't really mind it.

I also really like the band Travis. They were completely unapologetic in the way they were influenced by Coldplay.

Strangely, though, I slightly prefer MUSE and Travis to their respective predecessors.

Omaha
06-07-2010, 09:36 PM
I specifically didn't say "creative" because I knew that would prompt the Radiohead-Lite comments.

I won't argue it. MUSE has been heavily influenced by Radiohead, there is no doubt about that. I, however, don't really mind it.

I also really like the band Travis. They were completely unapologetic in the way they were influenced by Coldplay.

Strangely, though, I slightly prefer MUSE and Travis to their respective predecessors.

Hasn't Travis been around a lot longer than Coldplay?

CosmicPal
06-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Sufjan Stevens - the most creative and talented and to think he is so young.
Thom Yorke - truly gifted
Sam Beam (Iron & Wine)
John Medeski (Medeski, Martin & Wood)
Jeff Tweedy (Wilco)
Warren Haynes (Gov't Mule)
Win Butler (Arcade Fire)
Tom Waits - I believe he's still cranking 'em out.
Colin Meloy (The Decemberists)
Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes)
Vic Chesnutt
Aimee Mann

HypnotizedMonkey
06-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Radiohead and Tool make up the top of the creativity totem pole in current music.
If you're really interested in creative music, check out these albums I made completely myself. not claiming to be radiohead or tool but it is some pure, unique, independent stuff. got 3 albums up (free, streaming) working on my 4th. link: Mr. Slick & the Satellites (http://hypnotizedmonkey.org/OsborneGallery/Mr_Slick_and_the_Satellites/Mr_Slick_and_the_Satellites.html)

MoreLemonPledge
06-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Ah, Sufjan Stevens. That's a good one.

Saccopoo
06-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Hasn't Travis been around a lot longer than Coldplay?

A little bit. Couple years (about five) ahead of Coldplay.

Problem is, Coldplay's first two albums were incredibly good and basically made it hard to remember that bands like Travis, especially with their second album "The Man Who" which was kind of the initial impetus for that more melodic, thoughtful, soulful Britpop sound that was basically perfected by Coldplay on "Parachutes" and "A Rush of Blood to the Head."

"The Man Who" is an excellent album and put Travis on the map. Unfortunately, they were basically relegated to musical Siberia when Coldplay put out "Parachutes" a year later.