PDA

View Full Version : Media Helen Thomas to Retire 'Effective Immediately'

mlyonsd
06-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Veteran White House correspondent Helen Thomas is retiring, Hearst Corporation announced Monday.

The announcement comes after Thomas faced criticism for saying last month that Jews should "get the hell out of Palestine."

The statement said the retirement is "effective immediately."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/06/07/helen-thomas-retire-effective-immediately/ (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/06/07/helen-thomas-retire-effective-immediately/)

|Zach|
06-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Sounds like this is for the best.

talastan
06-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Wow that was fast. :eek:

mlyonsd
06-07-2010, 11:54 AM
She had one of those Jimmy the Greek moments.

RaiderH8r
06-07-2010, 12:02 PM
That came about 70 years too late. That old crone was a hackneyed mouthpiece. Christ, she couldn't even get a Kennedy to fuck her.

chiefsnorth
06-07-2010, 12:23 PM
This is why liberals need handlers. In unguarded moments they will tell you who they really are and what tgey really believe
Posted via Mobile Device

petegz28
06-07-2010, 12:24 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ReYfu5E-hOE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ReYfu5E-hOE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

BucEyedPea
06-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Freedom of speech is also for bigots. She should not lose her job for it. That's fascism and thought control. Political Correctness exists on the right too.
People are free to voice their opinion over hers as a correction. BTW she is bought and paid for by lobbyists herself. Just fyi.

talastan
06-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Freedom of speech is also for bigots. She should not lose her job for it. That's fascism and thought control. Political Correctness exists on the right too.
People are free to voice their opinion over hers as a correction. BTW she is bought and paid for by lobbyists herself. Just fyi.

I completely agree, I'm just finding the hypocrisy of the media hilarious. Calling the tea party racists while one of their most respected is spouting off these comments. :D BRILLIANT!!

RaiderH8r
06-07-2010, 01:24 PM

I'm not suggesting it was right that she lose her job over her comments. That would be ideaological fascism. I'm flat out saying she was too incompetent to hold the job in the first place. She started out as a gimmick and stuck around like herpes.

Now the political "She said something stupid but she did a lot of stuff" will begin. I forget how often the media covers flanks for anybody who says something stupid. Oh no, that's right, conservatives get excoriated liberals get forgiven and rehired two years later.

petegz28
06-07-2010, 01:28 PM

Let us get something clear. She has her Freedom of Speech. She is also suffering the consequences of such speech. I will lay money that most companies would fire people if they made racist remarks so overtly.

BTW, she still has her Freedom of Speech. Just not her job.

petegz28
06-07-2010, 01:30 PM

She, as a reporter for an employer, is not FREE to voice HER opinion while serving in the function as an employee of a company. You seem to be confusing what is constitutional Free Speech with saying WTF you want without any form of consequnce.

HonestChieffan
06-07-2010, 02:18 PM
This is why liberals need handlers. In unguarded moments they will tell you who they really are and what tgey really believe
Posted via Mobile Device

The lefts hatred for all things they don't agree with is incredible. No greater bunch of bigots and thought police exists. The old woman just spoke what she believes and liberalism has a hard time dealing with honesty.

Amnorix
06-07-2010, 02:25 PM

You get that freedom of speech is a right protecting people from the government, right?

Your employer is free to fire you for any reason or no reason, just not for a discriminatory reason. Dumbass bigoted statements are not protected by anti-discrimination laws.

Amnorix
06-07-2010, 02:27 PM
The lefts hatred for all things they don't agree with is incredible. No greater bunch of bigots and thought police exists. The old woman just spoke what she believes and liberalism has a hard time dealing with honesty.

WTF are you talking about? Honestly.

An employer being able to fire an employee is a conservative value, not a liberal one.

HonestChieffan
06-07-2010, 02:41 PM
WTF are you talking about? Honestly.

An employer being able to fire an employee is a conservative value, not a liberal one.

The employer is not the issue is it. Her words. Not the employer.

petegz28
06-07-2010, 02:49 PM

Well when people say things like "she shouldn't have lost her job over it", they make the employer the issue.

HonestChieffan
06-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Well when people say things like "she shouldn't have lost her job over it", they make the employer the issue.

They may try but it was her seething hate that boiled over.

penchief
06-07-2010, 02:57 PM

Since when is Ari Fleischer a liberal?

HonestChieffan
06-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Since when is Ari Fleischer a liberal?

Did he say something anti-Israel and get fired? Whats Ari have to do with Helens insane outburst?

BucEyedPea
06-07-2010, 03:21 PM
I completely agree, I'm just finding the hypocrisy of the media hilarious. Calling the tea party racists while one of their most respected is spouting off these comments. :D BRILLIANT!!

Yeah, and for also dumping Rand for his views about not forcing someone to serve someone a plate of pork chops in their restaurant. JH, even some restaurants in SK excercise their rights to not serve foreigners.

I wonder where Rachel Maddow is on this? She should be all over it!

BucEyedPea
06-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Let us get something clear. She has her Freedom of Speech. She is also suffering the consequences of such speech. I will lay money that most companies would fire people if they made racist remarks so overtly.

BTW, she still has her Freedom of Speech. Just not her job.

Yeah, well, it's still political correctness of the right. So I guess you're okay with Imus being fired too.

petegz28
06-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Yeah, well, it's still political correctness of the right. So I guess you're okay with Imus being fired too.

Disagree 100%. This has nothing to do with PC at all. And yes, I am ok with Imus being fired. Did I agree with what he said? Doesn't matter. Did his employer feel he said something that could potentially hurt their business, yes.

Iowanian
06-07-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm waiting for the first sabot to be lobbed suggesting she was only canned because the company was owned by a coffee filter helmet American.

Bootlegged
06-07-2010, 04:07 PM
I saw Helen leave an upper decker in the men's room at a Hardee's in DC. She was hammered.

ClevelandBronco
06-07-2010, 04:28 PM
The Jews should return to where they came from, eh, Helen?

http://www2.dsu.nodak.edu/users/dmeier/Holocaust/auschwitz1.jpg

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/Auschwitz_corpses.JPG

Fuck you, bitch.

ClevelandBronco
06-07-2010, 04:33 PM
The best part: She's never said or written anything in all those years that will be better remembered than the drunken rant that finally revealed her shriveled soul.

Amnorix
06-07-2010, 05:13 PM

Err...right. Her words were stupid. She is being terminated because her employer is unhappy with her statement, and the negative publicity it brings.

What's the problem?

HonestChieffan
06-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Err...right. Her words were stupid. She is being terminated because her employer is unhappy with her statement, and the negative publicity it brings.

What's the problem?

So you place the blame on her employer because she behaved improperly and stupidly? Thats a neat deal, no one is ever responsible for his or her own actions? Ahhh the liberal mind at work.

You fuck up.
I fire You.
Im at fault.

But you are still a fuck up

Amnorix
06-07-2010, 05:26 PM
So you place the blame on her employer because she behaved improperly and stupidly? Thats a neat deal, no one is ever responsible for his or her own actions? Ahhh the liberal mind at work.

You fuck up.
I fire You.
Im at fault.

But you are still a fuck up

What in the @#$^%! hell are you talking about? Her stupid ass comment wasn't her employer's fault.

Her employer was fully entitled to fire her ass, and it did. For obvious reasons. I would've done the same thing.

I still don't even know why you are railing against liberals. Do you support her statemenets? Think her employer didn't have the right to, or shouldn't have, fired her?

HonestChieffan
06-07-2010, 05:35 PM
She embodies the under lying hate liberals have for all those they disagree with.

Liberals are incapable of having a fact based disagreement and address issues. They always retreat to their safe havens. They will name call, create a strawman, divert and toss labels.

Like we see with the constant race carding done by the left. Example would be the old girl probably was outwardly a very diverse and open minded old crone but when her alone times or with her liberal friends her hate for the Jew would surface...just as it did in this case. As jesse jackson has done calling Obama the N word or New York as Hymie town. Thats the typical liberal. And she finally got hers.

vailpass
06-07-2010, 05:39 PM
The lack of outrage from the left is nice.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-07-2010, 05:40 PM
She embodies the under lying hate liberals have for all those they disagree with.

Liberals are incapable of having a fact based disagreement and address issues. They always retreat to their safe havens. They will name call, create a strawman, divert and toss labels.

Like we see with the constant race carding done by the left. Example would be the old girl probably was outwardly a very diverse and open minded old crone but when her alone times or with her liberal friends her hate for the Jew would surface...just as it did in this case. As jesse jackson has done calling Obama the N word or New York as Hymie town. Thats the typical liberal. And she finally got hers.

As I create a strawman to describe liberals...

chiefsnorth
06-07-2010, 05:45 PM
The best part: She's never said or written anything in all those years that will be better remembered than the drunken rant that finally revealed her shriveled soul.

Exactly. She was celebrated chiefly for being a liberal. She will now primarily be remembered as a shrivelled up racist old crone. Congrats to all the fools who celebrated the nazi hag all these years...
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-07-2010, 05:46 PM
The lack of outrage from the left is nice.

I'm wondering what she did that was so egregious. I really have not followed this story, but the only thing that I've seen that she said is that the Israeli's should get the hell out of Palestine and when asked where they should go, she said the US, Germany, Poland.

I could be missing something here. I haven't seen the video and don't know if she said anything else.

I can see how the second part is offensive and worthy of censure of some type. Fireable I think is more tenuous, but I'm not her employer.

I do think that as much as people bitch about our inability to talk about race in this country, there is a far bigger inability to talk about the actions of Israel.

That country is the third rail of criticism, and anyone who isn't 100% pro-Israel in every regard is labeled an anti-Semite.

FWIW, it's often a charge issued far more often on the left than the right

BucEyedPea
06-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Disagree 100%. This has nothing to do with PC at all. And yes, I am ok with Imus being fired. Did I agree with what he said? Doesn't matter. Did his employer feel he said something that could potentially hurt their business, yes.

It has everything to do with PC correctness. It's just who ox is getting gored on it.

As far as hurting their business goes, that is laughable while they continue to lose business and call on the taxpayers to subsidize them.

There is NO FREEDOM of the PRESS!

BucEyedPea
06-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Exactly. She was celebrated chiefly for being a liberal. She will now primarily be remembered as a shrivelled up racist old crone. Congrats to all the fools who celebrated the nazi hag all these years...
Posted via Mobile Device

How is it racist when it was about an ethnic group that happens to be Caucasian?

BucEyedPea
06-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Just tell me when I need to pull out former House Majority Leader Dick Armey's advocating ethnic cleansing of Palestinians.

It just has to be the right kind of bigotry for a pass.

vailpass
06-07-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm wondering what she did that was so egregious. I really have not followed this story, but the only thing that I've seen that she said is that the Israeli's should get the hell out of Palestine and when asked where they should go, she said the US, Germany, Poland.

I could be missing something here. I haven't seen the video and don't know if she said anything else.

I can see how the second part is offensive and worthy of censure of some type. Fireable I think is more tenuous, but I'm not her employer.

I do think that as much as people bitch about our inability to talk about race in this country, there is a far bigger inability to talk about the actions of Israel.

That country is the third rail of criticism, and anyone who isn't 100% pro-Israel in every regard is labeled an anti-Semite.

I'd be curious to hear your reaction (and the rest of the left not singling you out) if the circumstances were the same except it was a GOP administration.

Brock
06-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Should have been put out to pasture 10 or more years ago.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-07-2010, 06:08 PM
I'd be curious to hear your reaction (and the rest of the left not singling you out) if the circumstances were the same except it was a GOP administration.

Helen Thomas isn't part of the administration, the last time I checked, and it seems that she was immolated for it by the administration.

vailpass
06-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Helen Thomas isn't part of the administration, the last time I checked, and it seems that she was immolated for it by the administration.

I'm sorry, that is how I made it sound. I meant to ask if there would be any more outcry from the left it their administration wasn't the one in charge.

BucEyedPea
06-07-2010, 06:20 PM
What about the public high school who canceled her graduation speech she was to deliver?

Wow, govt discrimination based on political speech!
Rachel. Rachel. Wherefore art thou Rachel?

And just where is orange?

whatsmynameagain
06-07-2010, 06:24 PM

Is that really racist? What was racist about what she said? Do you understand the Isreal/Palestine conflict? DO YOU HAVE A SISTER?

ClevelandBronco
06-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Maybe I'm not looking deep enough, but I don't see this as anything more than one drunken old bitch losing control. Do most of you guys perceive this as a left/right thing?

ClevelandBronco
06-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Is that really racist? What was racist about what she said? Do you understand the Isreal/Palestine conflict? DO YOU HAVE A SISTER?

talastan didn't say that Helen's statement was racist. Read the post again.

whatsmynameagain
06-07-2010, 06:30 PM

THIS THIS THIS, I FUCKING HATE YOU BUT I LOVE THIS

whatsmynameagain
06-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Maybe I'm not looking deep enough, but I don't see this as anything more than one drunken old bitch losing control. Do most of you guys perceive this as a left/right thing?

I want to know whats racist about what she said.

whatsmynameagain
06-07-2010, 06:33 PM
talastan didn't say that Helen's statement was racist. Read the post again.

he is drawing parallels about racism so i think you're wrong on this

vailpass
06-07-2010, 06:48 PM

Not really, no except that I REALLY don't like the weak ally obama is trying to make us towards Israel.
Bad fugging idea.

vailpass
06-07-2010, 06:48 PM
I want to know whats racist about what she said.

Nothing mine fuhrer, nothing at all was racist. She spoke ze truth.

petegz28
06-07-2010, 07:09 PM
I don't think what she said was racist. But it was religously devisive and unprofessional. Aside from the fact it smacked of accusation.

As the Zohan will tell you, it isn't like the Jews had never stepped foot on that land before 1948.

MahiMike
06-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Our love affair with Israel cost us the Twin Towers. How come there's never another view?

ClevelandBronco
06-07-2010, 08:00 PM
he is drawing parallels about racism so i think you're wrong on this

It sure as hell wouldn't be my first or last time.

Brainiac
06-07-2010, 09:22 PM
This thread is worthless without pics.

BucEyedPea
06-07-2010, 09:26 PM
I don't think what she said was racist. But it was religously devisive and unprofessional. Aside from the fact it smacked of accusation.

As the Zohan will tell you, it isn't like the Jews had never stepped foot on that land before 1948.

No but the Ashkenazi Jews of Europe ( many who are Germans), who are converts to Judaism but are not Jewish ethnically as in sons of Shem aka semite peoples, are not the same as the Sephardic Jews who are the original descendents of the original Hebrews from that land. So this doesn't just get perceived by Arabs, also semite people, as native people returning. It's seen as westerners mostly European coming into their territory.

I mean when Spain deported the Jews, who were Sephardic, they went back to Israel/Palestine and there was no conflict. And don't forget it was the UN that made Israel a state there. We'd have all been better off if the two peoples were allowed to work it out, even if they had to fight it out, until there was a clear winner and a true surrender or some sort of resolution when they get tired of fighting. This is another conflict made worse, stalemated and endless, by outside interventionists. It's no wonder the UN which was to end war as led to more wars.

irishjayhawk
06-07-2010, 09:54 PM

This encapsulates everything I wanted to say. Kudos.

BucEyedPea
06-07-2010, 09:55 PM
This encapsulates everything I wanted to say. Kudos.

You have nothing to contribute of your own tonight, I noticed.
Thanks for sparing us. :D

ClevelandBronco
06-07-2010, 10:33 PM
No but the Ashkenazi Jews of Europe ( many who are Germans)...

Only the Germans would think it's a good idea to put the word "nazi" in the name of the kind of Jews they are.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-07-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm sorry, that is how I made it sound. I meant to ask if there would be any more outcry from the left it their administration wasn't the one in charge.

FWIW, I thought it was in poor taste that the Bush admin didn't give her the first question at PCs given that she was the most senior reporter and that was the tradition--but that was just b/c it seemed disrespectful for nothing other than partisanship.

Count Alex's Wins
06-07-2010, 11:30 PM
She was a freakshow. I'll miss her.

Rain Man
06-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but what did she do wrong? Her opinion is stupid, but she's entitled to have it and express it. Is there more to the story beyond what's in the article?

notorious
06-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Her opinion is stupid, but she's entitled to have it and express it.

For a moment I thought you were citing 99% of us at CP........

stevieray
06-08-2010, 12:17 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but what did she do wrong? Her opinion is stupid, but she's entitled to have it and express it. Is there more to the story beyond what's in the article?

She's 89...nuff said.

ClevelandBronco
06-08-2010, 01:00 AM

She became a perceived liability to the people who use her to make money. That's enough.

BucEyedPea
06-08-2010, 01:01 AM
She's 89...nuff said.

Is she REALLY that old? And still working?:shake:

ClevelandBronco
06-08-2010, 01:17 AM
Wikipedia:

"Thomas was born in Winchester, Kentucky. Her parents, Mary (née Rowady) and George Thomas, were Lebanese immigrants from Tripoli, Lebanon..."

Well, I didn't know that.

cannon1988
06-08-2010, 01:39 AM
Look here, ClevelandSteamer. It appears as though there is very little that you already know.

googlegoogle
06-08-2010, 03:16 AM
Do we have freedom of speech in this country?

nah, just lipservice.

googlegoogle
06-08-2010, 03:17 AM
It has everything to do with PC correctness. It's just who ox is getting gored on it.

As far as hurting their business goes, that is laughable while they continue to lose business and call on the taxpayers to subsidize them.

There is NO FREEDOM of the PRESS!

She needs to defend herself. This is sad.

Amnorix
06-08-2010, 07:06 AM

You're raving. Seriously.

Amnorix
06-08-2010, 07:10 AM

This is a private individual who happens to occupy a visible role for her employer who was terminated for making remarks that her employer disliked. She's Lebanese for Chrissakes, so I don't really hold her remarks against her, but they weren't well received by her employer so she was terminated. And she's like 80 or something. So to me the whole thing isn't a big deal.

***ANY*** statement from any administration, GOP or Democrat, is a far, far different animal as it reflects the policy position of the United States government.

Amnorix
06-08-2010, 07:11 AM

How would any administration, left or right, be responsible for the statements by WH reporters expressing their own personal feelings?

Amnorix
06-08-2010, 07:15 AM

Her employer didn't like what she said. She's entitled to have an opinion. Her employer is entitled to fire her for any reason or no reason, as long as it's not a discriminatory reason.

The first amendment doesn't protect you from your employer (unless you are employed by the government).

Amnorix
06-08-2010, 07:16 AM
Do we have freedom of speech in this country?

nah, just lipservice.

You don't even understand what freedom of speech means.

HonestChieffan
06-08-2010, 07:43 AM
This is a private individual who happens to occupy a visible role for her employer who was terminated for making remarks that her employer disliked. She's Lebanese for Chrissakes, so I don't really hold her remarks against her, but they weren't well received by her employer so she was terminated. And she's like 80 or something. So to me the whole thing isn't a big deal.

***ANY*** statement from any administration, GOP or Democrat, is a far, far different animal as it reflects the policy position of the United States government.

Would you be so openminded if it was a old white male reporter who said essentially the same thing about Blacks? Or same sort of thing about mexicans? Under your reasoning private individuals as you call her could make any demeaning and rude slur as long as they have some basis...such as being Lebanese heritage.

mlyonsd
06-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Her employer didn't like what she said. She's entitled to have an opinion. Her employer is entitled to fire her for any reason or no reason, as long as it's not a discriminatory reason.

The first amendment doesn't protect you from your employer (unless you are employed by the government).

JMO, her employer didn't think after she revealed her true feelings on issues in the middle east that she would be taken seriously on the subject anymore. Her line of work requires impartiality, her employer believed she compromised it, and their reputation would suffer for allowing her to stay on in that position. That's their call.

That's my take anyway. It could be that she realized what she had done and actually did say the hell with it, I'm outta here. In other words the decision could have been hers. But I doubt it.

Like I said, Jimmy the Greek moment.

Amnorix
06-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Would you be so openminded if it was a old white male reporter who said essentially the same thing about Blacks? Or same sort of thing about mexicans? Under your reasoning private individuals as you call her could make any demeaning and rude slur as long as they have some basis...such as being Lebanese heritage.

You seem to really have trouble understanding what I'm saying. And what I"m not saying.

I'm not defending her. I understand what she said, but I neither agree with it, nor do I support her thoughts on the matter. I state only that her position is understandable in that her ethnic heritage is Lebanese. In case you weren't aware of it, there is a small amount of hostility that currently exists between Israelis and Lebanese.

Nor are her statements racist, in my view. They are more political/geographical. Get out of my country's homeland, which you and the UN stole from us, is more or less her position, as far as I can tell based on her brief statement.

That doesn't mean her position is correct, or that I agree with it.

In addition, her statements (1) do not reflect or have anything to do with "liberals" or "conservatives" in the general sense, (2) do not have anything to do with the curretn administration, or any previous administration. She is NOT a member of the White House and does not, and never has, held any political position or office that I'm aware of.

And her employer can fire her for it if they want. I can hardly blame them. Reporters are often at risk when they become the news, instead of the reporters of it.

Amnorix
06-08-2010, 09:15 AM
JMO, her employer didn't think after she revealed her true feelings on issues in the middle east that she would be taken seriously on the subject anymore. Her line of work requires impartiality, her employer believed she compromised it, and their reputation would suffer for allowing her to stay on in that position. That's their call.

That's my take anyway. It could be that she realized what she had done and actually did say the hell with it, I'm outta here. In other words the decision could have been hers. But I doubt it.

Like I said, Jimmy the Greek moment.

I agree that Hearst probably gave her the axe, and while we can speculate as to their exact thoughts, it doesn't much matter.

Bootlegged
06-08-2010, 09:20 AM
This one time, at our Bigot meeting (back in '77), Helen and I were splitting some hash and shrooms....when Helen shows me her cooter. Being the late '70's, it was a tremendous bush...like Buckwheat in a leglock. So - the night goes on and her flirting/flashing continues. I was like 12 and thought about finger banging her, just for kicks. Next thing I know she jams her own hand her crotch and gives herself the shocker for about 5 minutes. I just watched in awe..... I guess she came or something as she made some grunts and stuff. Then she smelled her two from the stink and said, "smells like Jew". I don't remember much else from the night.

HonestChieffan
06-08-2010, 09:24 AM
You seem to really have trouble understanding what I'm saying. And what I"m not saying.

I'm not defending her. I understand what she said, but I neither agree with it, nor do I support her thoughts on the matter. I state only that her position is understandable in that her ethnic heritage is Lebanese. In case you weren't aware of it, there is a small amount of hostility that currently exists between Israelis and Lebanese.

Nor are her statements racist, in my view. They are more political/geographical. Get out of my country's homeland, which you and the UN stole from us, is more or less her position, as far as I can tell based on her brief statement.

That doesn't mean her position is correct, or that I agree with it.

In addition, her statements (1) do not reflect or have anything to do with "liberals" or "conservatives" in the general sense, (2) do not have anything to do with the curretn administration, or any previous administration. She is NOT a member of the White House and does not, and never has, held any political position or office that I'm aware of.

And her employer can fire her for it if they want. I can hardly blame them. Reporters are often at risk when they become the news, instead of the reporters of it.

I understand your position. Clearly you are willing to accept this from someone who agrees with your political stands but would be enraged if it came from someone who is to the right of Center. If Bill Oreilly had said this your heart would go out of control and you would be totally incensed.

Different standards for different people.

penchief
06-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Did he say something anti-Israel and get fired? Whats Ari have to do with Helens insane outburst?

Your attacks on liberals are as predictable as they are baseless. You're proving yourself to be nothing more than a dittohead.

Read your own post which I responded to and then read the article. Ari Fliescher was one of the first to publicly call for her firing. Since when is Ari an "intolerant liberal?"

Amnorix
06-08-2010, 09:37 AM
I understand your position. Clearly you are willing to accept this from someone who agrees with your political stands but would be enraged if it came from someone who is to the right of Center. If Bill Oreilly had said this your heart would go out of control and you would be totally incensed.

Different standards for different people.

ROFL That's exactly what I said, yes. You've got it right.

You're making the mistake of thinking I give a damn about Helen Thomas.

BucEyedPea
06-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Ari Fliescher was one of the first to publically call for her firing. Since when is Ari an "intolerant liberal?"

NeoCons ARE liberals. Or at least well left of center. What do you think Ari is?

BucEyedPea
06-08-2010, 09:51 AM

This is true. However, the right wing argument is that someone should be hired/fired on qualifications and the work they do as well—not for affirmative action reasons regarding political creeds.

Bootlegged
06-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Your attacks on liberals are as predictable as they are baseless. You're proving yourself to be nothing more than a dittohead.

Read your own post which I responded to and then read the article. Ari Fliescher was one of the first to publically call for her firing. Since when is Ari an "intolerant liberal?"

http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy258/Peterosehaircut/old%20posted%20stuff/utf-8BaHR0cDovL3d3dy5hbHJpbmNvbi5jb.gif

HonestChieffan
06-08-2010, 09:56 AM

Read your own post which I responded to and then read the article. Ari Fliescher was one of the first to publically call for her firing. Since when is Ari an "intolerant liberal?"

I know who he is and what he said but he has zero to do with the woman's behavior. Why would you feel it necessary to bring him into a discussion about the old lady and her words and subsequent reactions form her employer. Its certainly not germane to the issue now is it?

HonestChieffan
06-08-2010, 09:59 AM
ROFL That's exactly what I said, yes. You've got it right.

You're making the mistake of thinking I give a damn about Helen Thomas.

Not at all. Its not abut the lady as much as it is about your inability to demand the same standards for all. If Liberals can behave like this and be allowed a pass by the left, then why do you find it so necessary to demonize the same behavior from someone to the right? Forget Helen, deal with the behavior.

penchief
06-08-2010, 10:58 AM
NeoCons ARE liberals. Or at least well left of center. What do you think Ari is?

Here we go again.

I'm a liberal and he ain't one of me. Just because you want to disown the rightie neocons you can't pawn them off on true liberals. Are they true conservatives? No. But they sure as hell aren't liberals. They are righties, though.

Do the math. Why did liberals resist everything the neocons stood for while rightie conservatives defended and applauded everything the neocons stood for. It's amazing how ideologues like yourself are willing to overlook that which is painfully obvious in order to rationalize the flaws in your own ideology.

You can preach all you want about the early days of the neocon movement but it has nothing at all to do with the conduct of the modern day Reagan/Bush neocons who have been anything but liberal. We liberals have resisted their vision and ideology for this country tooth and nail the entire way. While so called "conservatives" have been their biggest supporters.

penchief
06-08-2010, 11:01 AM
I know who he is and what he said but he has zero to do with the woman's behavior. Why would you feel it necessary to bring him into a discussion about the old lady and her words and subsequent reactions form her employer. Its certainly not germane to the issue now is it?

Because you're post implied that it was liberals attacking her for speaking her mind.

In fact, here is your exact quote:

HonestChieffan
06-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Because you're post implied that it was liberals attacking her for speaking her mind.

Not at all. The opposite you inferred is the case, liberals have been quick to defend Thomas and excuse her ignorant comment. Had she been a white male on Fox they would have burned the buildings in outrage.

She like many liberals have the same biases anyone else has. However they want to make everyone believe they are diverse and accepting of all things that fit into the PC realm they try to force upon all.

Rain Man
06-08-2010, 11:15 AM

Yeah, legally I have no problem with it. I'm just surprised that reporters aren't allowed to voice their personal opinions. I'd never thought about it before.

I guess voicing her opinion may taint her credibility if people think she's slanting stories, but I find it hard to believe that reporters don't let their personal opinions creep into their articles anyway.

Kinda like how you know that NFL referees have favorite teams, because you have to be a football fan to pursue reffing. But they can never say who those teams are, other than knowing that Jerry Markbreit hated Kansas City.

penchief
06-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Not at all. The opposite you inferred is the case, liberals have been quick to defend Thomas and excuse her ignorant comment. Had she been a white male on Fox they would have burned the buildings in outrage.

She like many liberals have the same biases anyone else has. However they want to make everyone believe they are diverse and accepting of all things that fit into the PC realm they try to force upon all.

Maybe you should proofread your posts to make sure that they say what you intend for them to say. Again, here is your exact quote:

HonestChieffan
06-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Maybe you should proofread your posts to make sure that they say what you intend for them to say. Again, here is your exact quote:

Seems you are the one who has a comprehension issue.

penchief
06-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Seems you are the one who has a comprehension issue.

Ummm, you said:

The old woman just spoke what she believes and liberalism has a hard time dealing with honesty.

Explain to me how that means something other than what it says and I might confess to having a comprehension issue.

HonestChieffan
06-08-2010, 11:34 AM
What does it "infer"...its rather clear.

Lets simplify:

The old woman= Helen Thomas, the lady who spoke her racist feelings

"spoke what she believes"=Would send Jews away and deliver Israel to the Palestinian/Hamas/Muslims, her destinations included Poland, site of the worst Jewish killings in WW2, and Germany, home of the Third Reich.( Probably no greater insult or slur could be cast upon the Jewish people)

Liberalism has a hard time dealing with honesty= The left, who would normally go into a rage over such statements if made by a conservative or moderate instead comes to her defense and tries to downplay her racism.

Calcountry
06-08-2010, 11:46 AM
People are free to voice their opinion over hers as a correction. BTW she is bought and paid for by lobbyists herself. Just fyi.Why does your take on this, not surprise me?

penchief
06-08-2010, 11:48 AM
What does it "infer"...its rather clear.

Lets simplify:

The old woman= Helen Thomas, the lady who spoke her racist feelings

"spoke what she believes"=Would send Jews away and deliver Israel to the Palestinian/Hamas/Muslims, her destinations included Poland, site of the worst Jewish killings in WW2, and Germany, home of the Third Reich.( Probably no greater insult or slur could be cast upon the Jewish people)

Liberalism has a hard time dealing with honesty= The left, who would normally go into a rage over such statements if made by a conservative or moderate instead comes to her defense and tries to downplay her racism.

Fair enough. I understand what you intended. Thanks for clearing it up. However, you have to admit that your wording does leave it open for misinterpretation.

That said, I'm not sure I agree with your premise as I now understand it. I haven't yet formed an opinion regarding her comments because I need to view her statements in their full context. Which I haven't done yet.

If she was, in fact, telling Jews that they should go someplace where they will be persecuted then that is over the line. If she was, however, just randomly picking countries in order to illustrate that there are a lot places that Jews can settle instead of Palestine (thereby, diffusing tensions) then I think there is nothing racist about that.

And before you accuse me of employing a double standard I challenge you to find a single post in which I ever accused anyone, right or left, of being racist.

talastan
06-08-2010, 12:42 PM

What I'm stating is that the left characterizes the tea party movement as racist because of disagreement with a black president's policies. Is that the definition of racism? No it isn't. But they're just fine deciding the motivation of the popular movement's collective hearts and minds. Meanwhile one of most respected and openly liberal journalists says something because she obviously disagrees with the policy of the Jewish nation and nothing is said. I'm not comparing how she is a racist, I'm comparing that the intention is probably the same and yet racism is defined by the media as a right-wing thing. .....I do understand the conflict between the two peoples as it is the same conflict that has been going on since the time of the Judges of Israel themselves. The Palestinians are believed to have decended from the ancient people known as the Philistines. They live in the same areas that the Philistines did before, and fight over the same land as before. Helen mentioned sending the Israelis back where they came from. They are already there in the nation of Israel. And no I don't have a sister. :rolleyes:

vailpass
06-08-2010, 12:48 PM

I nominate this crazy lib as "Most Likely to Internally Combust"

BucEyedPea
06-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Here we go again.

I'm a liberal and he ain't one of me. Just because you want to disown the rightie neocons you can't pawn them off on true liberals. Are they true conservatives? No. But they sure as hell aren't liberals. They are righties, though.

Do the math. Why did liberals resist everything the neocons stood for while rightie conservatives defended and applauded everything the neocons stood for. It's amazing how ideologues like yourself are willing to overlook that which is painfully obvious in order to rationalize the flaws in your own ideology.

You can preach all you want about the early days of the neocon movement but it has nothing at all to do with the conduct of the modern day Reagan/Bush neocons who have been anything but liberal. We liberals have resisted their vision and ideology for this country tooth and nail the entire way. While so called "conservatives" have been their biggest supporters.
You're wrong and there's a number of articles by others who are informed. Plenty of them admit it. They call themselves compassionate conservatives or liberal hawks. You just can't deal with the cognitive dissonance. Why do you think Frum criticized the Rs for not supporting Obama's healthcare. Get your head out of the sand.

googlegoogle
06-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Why does your take on this, not surprise me?

freedom of speech?:shrug:

googlegoogle
06-08-2010, 02:12 PM
You don't even understand what freedom of speech means.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh ROFL STFU

HonestChieffan
06-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Fair enough. I understand what you intended. Thanks for clearing it up. However, you have to admit that your wording does leave it open for misinterpretation.

That said, I'm not sure I agree with your premise as I now understand it. I haven't yet formed an opinion regarding her comments because I need to view her statements in their full context. Which I haven't done yet.

If she was, in fact, telling Jews that they should go someplace where they will be persecuted then that is over the line. If she was, however, just randomly picking countries in order to illustrate that there are a lot places that Jews can settle instead of Palestine (thereby, diffusing tensions) then I think there is nothing racist about that.

And before you accuse me of employing a double standard I challenge you to find a single post in which I ever accused anyone, right or left, of being racist.

The point is not if you called someone a racist. Its that the standards applied by the left to the left are far different than those applied by the left to those they see and not falling in line with the beliefs of the left.

penchief
06-08-2010, 04:24 PM
You're wrong and there's a number of articles by others who are informed. Plenty of them admit it. They call themselves compassionate conservatives or liberal hawks. You just can't deal with the cognitive dissonance. Why do you think Frum criticized the Rs for not supporting Obama's healthcare. Get your head out of the sand.

This has nothing to do with congitive dissonance on my part. It has to do with your total lack of objectivity in favor of peddling ideological purity.

Your desire to pigeon-hole everything and everyone in order to promote your failed ideology renders you incapable of recognizing that which is right in front of your face. Rather than observe reality, you choose to recite something that you've selectively read or heard because you think it excuses you from having to apply common sense.

Get this through your head. Neocon policies do not reflect liberal ideals. And for that reason liberals in this country have not supported those policies for even a second. In fact, we liberals have been very outspoken against those policies because they are counterintuitive to our liberal beliefs. How do you reconcile that fact with your intellectual mumbo jumbo?

On the other hand, it has been the right wing and conservatives in this country who have supported and enabled Neocon policies. In fact, they still applaud the neocons and support their policies even after they've been proven an abject failure. Why is that?

Is it possibly because neocon policies and neocon rhetoric have played to the right wing/conservative mindset? Common sense would dictate that to be true. Why is it that you cannot wrap your mind around such a simple concept instead of trying to justify your narrow ideology by citing the commentary of "informed intellectuals"?

In your own words, I would like to see you reconcile why it is that the liberal left opposed the neocons with every ounce of their being while the conservative right supported them and applauded them. Can you do that? I would much rather see you do that than refer to Irving Kristol or cite other things that have little or nothing to do with the current reality.

Historical name-dropping is no substitute for common sense. Nor does it bolster your flimsy logic. Also, your self-proclaimed intellectual status is not enough to convince the rest of us that we don't have a clue about our own beliefs or what we stand for.

penchief
06-08-2010, 04:30 PM
The point is not if you called someone a racist. Its that the standards applied by the left to the left are far different than those applied by the left to those they see and not falling in line with the beliefs of the left.

Withholding judgment about such matters has nothing to do with having a double standard. Therefore, withholding judgment in this matter does not constitute a double standard.

You may want to make such a claim for partisan purposes but your claim alone does not make it true.

HonestChieffan
06-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Withholding judgment about such matters has nothing to do with having a double standard. Therefore, withholding judgment in this matter does not constitute a double standard.

You may want to make such a claim for partisan purposes but your claim alone does not make it true.

Denial on your part is not unexpected.

penchief
06-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Denial on your part is not unexpected.

My standard operating procedure when it comes to claims of racism has always been to withhold judgment. My track record on this board will reflect that. For you to imply otherwise is just another example of your knee-jerk desire to bash anything liberal.

HonestChieffan
06-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Nothing knee jerk about it, and don't take it personal. Its ok....You are ok....everyone is ok.

stevieray
06-08-2010, 06:12 PM

randonly picking countries? how intellectually dishonest.

it's like telling blacks to go back to Africa, even though there are "lots of places" they can settle instead of America.

:rolleyes:

T-post Tom
06-08-2010, 06:45 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mBlIENgKvXc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mBlIENgKvXc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

googlegoogle
06-08-2010, 06:53 PM

it's like telling blacks to go back to Africa, even though there are "lots of places" they can settle instead of America.

apples and oranges. you fail. not even comparable. Thats been their land for hundred of years and they were forced out in the 40's.

Better analogy is S.Africa under Apartheid.

Bump
06-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Randomly picking countries? How intellectually dishonest.

It's like telling blacks to go back to Africa, even though there are "lots of places" they can settle instead of America.

FYP

penchief
06-09-2010, 08:29 AM

Nothing intellectually dishonest about it. In my previous post I stated that I would need to read her comments in their full context before I could form an opinion. Which I have still not done. So my speculation was done more to illustrate the fact that I am not willing to condemn her without knowing her true intent.

My illustration provided an example on both ends of the equation. I see that you had no problem with the other scenario in which she wishes Jews to be persecuted. Your singling out of one and not the other says more about you than it does me.

If anybody knows for a fact that her primary motivation was hatred for Jews and not an easing of tensions in Palestine I'd be all ears. I try not to be someone who jumps to predetermined conclusions based on my political bent.

While I see your point about African Americans I feel there is a big distinction worth noting. African Americans weren't imposing their will on the people of this country. And clearly those who made statements about "sending them back to Africa" were motivated by their prejudices. However, in Palestine it is the other way around. Israel is imposing it's will on the people of Palestine.

If Helen Thomas views Israel's impositions and its military presence stemming from settlements in Palestine as a barrier to peace and justice, then those who are claiming racism as her motivation may be misjudging her intent. That's all I'm saying.

It's just my opinion, bro. I'm not trying to be intellectually dishonest.

Direckshun
06-09-2010, 08:32 AM
People are free to voice their opinion over hers as a correction.

Having not read the thread, I agree with this.

I do wonder why somebody could utter absolutely ridiculous pro-Israel hate speech, and be perfectly fine, but doing the same with pro-Palestinian hate speech is taboo...

Bump
06-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Nothing intellectually dishonest about it. In my previous post I stated that I would need to read her comments in their full context before I could form an opinion. Which I have still not done. So my speculation was done more to illustrate the fact that I am not willing to condemn her without knowing her true intent.

My illustration provided an example on both ends of the equation. I see that you had no problem with the other scenario in which she wishes Jews to be persecuted. Your singling out of one and not the other says more about you than it does me.

If anybody knows for a fact that her primary motivation was hatred for Jews and not an easing of tensions in Palestine I'd be all ears. I try not to be someone who jumps to predetermined conclusions based on my political bent.

While I see your point about African Americans I feel there is a big distinction worth noting. African Americans weren't imposing their will on the people of this country. And clearly those who made statements about "sending them back to Africa" were motivated by their prejudices. However, in Palestine it is the other way around. Israel is imposing it's will on the people of Palestine.

If Helen Thomas views Israel's impositions and its military presence stemming from settlements in Palestine as a barrier to peace and justice, then those who are claiming racism as her motivation may be misjudging her intent. That's all I'm saying.

It's just my opinion, bro. I'm not trying to be intellectually dishonest.

FYP

penchief
06-09-2010, 12:54 PM
FYP

Thanks, man. You're pretty good at this. At least we know you're someone who actually reads what other people post.

go bowe
06-09-2010, 01:40 PM

:rolleyes:that's it exactly...

it's common among palestinians and their supporters to want the jews to go back where they came from, which is predominantly europe, particularly at the time when israel was created...

of course, as a practical matter the jews are not going to go back to where they came from, ever...

HonestChieffan
06-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Having not read the thread, I agree with this.

I do wonder why somebody could utter absolutely ridiculous pro-Israel hate speech, and be perfectly fine, but doing the same with pro-Palestinian hate speech is taboo...

Hezboola, Hamas, and the rest of the terrorist world would recognize you for your excellent support.
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3902914,00.html

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t1aJfVaKipw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t1aJfVaKipw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>