PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Eric Berry and Kendrick Lewis run 1st team safeties

Mr. Laz
06-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Kendrick Lewis Run With The First Team

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/profile_images/240996/headshot_tiny.jpg by Joel Thorman (http://www.sbnation.com/users/Joel%20Thorman) on Jun 7, 2010 11:53 AM PDT (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/6/7/1505660/glimpse-into-the-chiefs-future) in 2010 Kansas City Chiefs Season (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/section/2010-campaign) http://cdn3.sbnation.com/images/icons/comment.v1599.png 0 comments
On Monday there was perhaps a glimpse into the Chiefs (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/KAN) future at safety.
Bob Gretz of BobGretz.com (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/ota-10-report-3.html)reports Chiefs rookie safety Kendrick Lewis (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/109203/Kendrick_Lewis) ran with the first team. Eric Berry (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108650/Eric_Berry) has been there since the second set of OTAs.
Todd Haley has frequently said that the way the Chiefs line up in these OTAs doesn't necessarily mean much moving forward.
That said, it's likely that Lewis and Berry in the secondary is what the Chiefs envision for the future.
In other first team news, the inside linebackers didn't see a change from last week which means both Derrick Johnson and Jovan Belcher (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/78011/Jovan_Belcher) were with the ones.
Bob Gretz has a solid report on the morning's practice session. Be sure to check it out. (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/ota-10-report-3.html) We'll be back this afternoon with a little more from the Chiefs 10th OTA.

Detoxing
06-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Fuck yeah.

Im on the "throw Lewis into the fire" Bandwagon. Let him start day 1. It's not like we have a better option.

MoreLemonPledge
06-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Fuck yeah.

Im on the "throw Lewis into the fire" Bandwagon. Let him start day 1. It's not like we have a better option.

Jon McGraw would tackle you to the ground if he heard you say that. Just don't move too fast. Or at all, really.

Ebolapox
06-07-2010, 01:16 PM
eh, it could get ugly QUICKLY starting two rookie safeties. there will be mistakes, and people will call berry a bust and hate them both by season's end.

go bowe
06-07-2010, 01:27 PM
i dunno...

it would let them both gain experience and we really don't want to win just enough games that we don't get a chance at some top notch players in next year's draft...

MoreLemonPledge
06-07-2010, 01:29 PM
we really don't want to win just enough games that we don't get a chance at some top notch players in next year's draft...

:facepalm:

Ralphy Boy
06-07-2010, 01:39 PM
read the article.

If TJ is going to be the next Seymour, they can't be pulling him out on passing downs.

Detoxing
06-07-2010, 01:44 PM
eh, it could get ugly QUICKLY starting two rookie safeties. there will be mistakes, and people will call berry a bust and hate them both by season's end.

But if Berry is the field general that he's hyped to be, then those mistakes should be kept to a minimum.

I mean, they really can't fuck up anymore than our Safeties did last season.

KCtotheSB
06-07-2010, 01:45 PM
i dunno...

it would let them both gain experience and we really don't want to win just enough games that we don't get a chance at some top notch players in next year's draft...

Yeah.....f**k winning in it's celebratory ass. We should keep notching 4-12 records on our belt and stockpiling talent until we get relegated to the UFL and then BAM....that ****ing UFL Championship is ours, bitches.

Pablo
06-07-2010, 01:47 PM
i dunno...

it would let them both gain experience and we really don't want to win just enough games that we don't get a chance at some top notch players in next year's draft...I don't give a goddamn about next year's draft.

Pants
06-07-2010, 01:49 PM
I don't give a goddamn about next year's draft.

Locker?

Pablo
06-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Locker?I really don't give two shits about the draft until a month or so before it. I don't get off on making mocks and I sure as shit don't want my team to forego wins so we have a shot at a certain player.

Football is about winning. Win games, or at least try to. Worry about the draft next spring.

Tiger's Fan
06-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Locker?

If you want Locker, you'd better prepare for 14 losses, which isn't going to happen.

MoreLemonPledge
06-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Locker?

People were claiming Clausen to be a possible top 4 pick and a can't miss star QB. He got taken in the middle of the second round.

You can't play a season with the intention of drafting one player. I would immediately stop following this team if that was their goal.

Saccopoo
06-07-2010, 01:53 PM
No problem with this whatsoever. Safety is the center fielder, the backstop so to speak. They are there to support the corners and the linebackers, not necessarily make one on one plays themselves. Having a rookie at the safety position isn't that big of a deal, especially ones that can run and tackle. All they need to do is to have good instincts and be able to cover the field and make a tackle or break up a pass when they get there.

I'm more excited about Johnson and Belcher looking like the ones at ILB/MLB than anything. It means that Belcher wasn't just a flash in the pan at the end of a long season and that he gets it and outworked Mays for the spot. Johnson is even more encouraging in that he was so far in Haley's doghouse that I thought he'd never be more than special teams, even though he's got all the talent in the world. If he can finally show the consistency to go along with the talent and athleticism, it's a huge boon for the defensive side of the ball.

Having Flowers and Carr on the outside and Belcher and Johnson manning the middle should really help the two rookie safeties make a quick adjustment to the pro game.

Not worried whatsoever. Encouraged actually.

Mr. Laz
06-07-2010, 01:56 PM
If you want Locker, you'd better prepare for 14 losses, which isn't going to happen.
and Eric Berry is never going to fall to #5
and Terrance Cody is not going to fall into round 2
and Jimmy Clausen will never make it past the 49ers at #13

Chocolate Hog
06-07-2010, 02:20 PM
I'd rather have Atogwe playing next to Berry.

Short Leash Hootie
06-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Kendrick Lewis was such a waste of a pick!!! /drafturbators (smartest fucking people on the planet!!!!)

talastan
06-07-2010, 02:32 PM
I was curious as to if DJ wouldn't better serve the team swapping places with Vrabel on the outside and move Vrabel inside with Belcher. DJ has tons more fuel in the tank than Vrabel as far as rushing the passer and Vrabel with his mental game could direct the defense from the inside. Just curious....

Pestilence
06-07-2010, 02:34 PM
I was curious as to if DJ wouldn't better serve the team swapping places with Vrabel on the outside and move Vrabel inside with Belcher. DJ has tons more fuel in the tank than Vrabel as far as rushing the passer and Vrabel with his mental game could direct the defense from the inside. Just curious....

DJ has problems with taking on blockers and shedding blocks.

talastan
06-07-2010, 02:38 PM
DJ has problems with taking on blockers and shedding blocks.

I didn't think about that, good point Pestilence. I was thinking his speed might allow him to get around the RT, and with Tamba taking on the better Lineman on the left side it might get us some much needed pressure on the QB. However I can see what you mean with needing to be able to shed blockers. If the NT is doing his job than DJ can go and make plays from the inside and not worry about taking on blockers as an ILB.

milkman
06-07-2010, 08:30 PM
No problem with this whatsoever. Safety is the center fielder, the backstop so to speak. They are there to support the corners and the linebackers, not necessarily make one on one plays themselves. Having a rookie at the safety position isn't that big of a deal, especially ones that can run and tackle. All they need to do is to have good instincts and be able to cover the field and make a tackle or break up a pass when they get there.

I'm more excited about Johnson and Belcher looking like the ones at ILB/MLB than anything. It means that Belcher wasn't just a flash in the pan at the end of a long season and that he gets it and outworked Mays for the spot. Johnson is even more encouraging in that he was so far in Haley's doghouse that I thought he'd never be more than special teams, even though he's got all the talent in the world. If he can finally show the consistency to go along with the talent and athleticism, it's a huge boon for the defensive side of the ball.

Having Flowers and Carr on the outside and Belcher and Johnson manning the middle should really help the two rookie safeties make a quick adjustment to the pro game.

Not worried whatsoever. Encouraged actually.

We now know what you did with that English Major.

JFC, can you ever just post a quick response?

KCrockaholic
06-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Hey guys. Lets suck again this year for ANOTHER top 5 pick so we can watch Haley get fired, and we can start all over AGAIN! Then do it again with the next coach! Stockpile, stockpile, stockpile!.......... FUCK!

BIG K
06-07-2010, 09:04 PM

Perhaps. I seem to remember the Chiefs starting two safeties(albeit second year) but still 'rookies' in Marty's eyes in 1997 and it seemed to work. These two have speed, I would like to see some speed on the field........Honestly, I can't tell the diff between still photos of last years safety's and video......

BossChief
06-07-2010, 09:07 PM
These two have speed, I would like to see some speed on the field........

Berry has speed, but Lewis ran like a 4.8...not sure your opinion of what it takes to be called fast as a safety, but you need to rethink it.

milkman
06-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Perhaps. I seem to remember the Chiefs starting two safeties(albeit second year) but still 'rookies' in Marty's eyes in 1997 and it seemed to work. These two have speed, I would like to see some speed on the field........Honestly, I can't tell the diff between still photos of last years safety's and video......

The 9ers won a SB in the 80s with three rookies starting in the secondary.

Ebolapox
06-07-2010, 09:08 PM

we also had optimism back then and a better passrush. these two don't have the supporting cast on defense that these two will have (aside from flowers/carr and dorsey).

I'm not trying to bag on em--I hope they do well. but I've seen such a rampant increase in negativity (whether it's warranted or not is completely up to debate) that you know there will be a feeding frenzy at the slightest of mistakes. it's sad, yet likely true. we're so starved for a winner that it'll be interesting to see whether we're willing to put up with some growing pains.

BossChief
06-07-2010, 09:11 PM
we also had optimism back then and a better passrush. these two don't have the supporting cast on defense that these two will have (aside from flowers/carr and dorsey).

I'm not trying to bag on em--I hope they do well. but I've seen such a rampant increase in negativity (whether it's warranted or not is completely up to debate) that you know there will be a feeding frenzy at the slightest of mistakes. it's sad, yet likely true. we're so starved for a winner that it'll be interesting to see whether we're willing to put up with some growing pains.
The last 4 years have been growing pains, whats another year right?

BIG K
06-07-2010, 09:17 PM

Dan williams, DT (playing in a cast) and pellom mcdaniels as his backup, John Browning at NT in the 3- four. Hear what you are saying but, seems the Chiefs are trying to build from the back to the front. We will see....I am okay with rookie mistakes....

BIG K
06-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Berry has speed, but Lewis ran like a 4.8...not sure your opinion of what it takes to be called fast as a safety, but you need to rethink it.

Okay, compared to last years unit.

Ebolapox
06-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Dan williams, DT (playing in a cast) and pellom mcdaniels as his backup, John Browning at NT in the 3- four. Hear what you are saying but, seems the Chiefs are trying to build from the back to the front. We will see....I am okay with rookie mistakes....

and derrick thomas, anthony davis, donnie edwards (highly underrated), and possibly the best cornerback combo in history. keep in mind too, dan williams had a good year that year. our defense had GREAT personnel that year (fuck, mighty mouse had 8 int's that year).

I'm alright with rookie mistakes too... but not many others are, and that's to be expected after the last few years.

BIG K
06-07-2010, 11:06 PM
and derrick thomas, anthony davis, donnie edwards (highly underrated), and possibly the best cornerback combo in history. keep in mind too, dan williams had a good year that year. our defense had GREAT personnel that year (****, mighty mouse had 8 int's that year).

I'm alright with rookie mistakes too... but not many others are, and that's to be expected after the last few years.

They started alot of unknowns that year and did pretty good! Great reference on your part of Edwards, almost forgot! Williams had his great one year wonder that year. McMillian kicked ass as far as stats went....

All I was saying, and I think we agree, is that I am willing to let the youngsters play and see what happens!!!

Ebolapox
06-07-2010, 11:08 PM
They started alot of unknowns that year and did pretty good! Great reference on your part of Edwards, almost forgot! Williams had his great one year wonder that year. McMillian kicked ass as far as stats went....

All I was saying, and I think we agree, is that I am willing to let the youngsters play and see what happens!!!

yep. just be ready to wade through "OMG THE DISASTER WE SUCK OMG OMG OMG PIOLI OMG OMG OMG THE SKY IS FALLING" the first time lewis takes a bad angle.

BossChief
06-07-2010, 11:26 PM
I get the feeling that K Lewis is gonna be like a Sammy Knight clone.

Fruit Ninja
06-07-2010, 11:31 PM
The 9ers won a SB in the 80s with three rookies starting in the secondary.

And who was the Safety that anchored that secondary? Oooh, thats right, one of the best to ever play the game.

KCrockaholic
06-07-2010, 11:40 PM
I get the feeling that K Lewis is gonna be like a Sammy Knight clone.

Geez that's mean. He's not THAT slow.

Chris Meck
06-08-2010, 12:29 AM
Uh,

John Browning never played NT in a 3-4. He played DT and DE in a 4-3.

The Chiefs last ran a 3-4 when Cowher was the defensive coordinator here. He took our 3-4 to Pittsburgh, where they still run it.

Pellom Mcdaniels was always a back-up, albeit one who played a lot. He spelled Derrick Thomas (hahahahahahahaha) as the 'falcon' for a stretch when Derrick was injured. Not so good, Al.

Micjones
06-08-2010, 12:34 AM
Was hoping Lewis would have a chance at winning the job.
Hopefully the kid really earns it. But I'd like to see him out there with Berry.

KCrockaholic
06-08-2010, 12:39 AM
Was hoping Lewis would have a chance at winning the job.
Hopefully the kid really earns it. But I'd like to see him out there with Berry.

Unless Page signs, I don't really trust any other Safety at the FS spot over Lewis at this point. I mean, Morgan has a shot, but ideally, Berry at SS, and Lewis at FS is ok IMO. Plus if Lewis can learn to play SS, they can be interchangeable and swap at times also, allowing Berry to move more freely as a FS.

HotRoute
06-08-2010, 12:42 AM
"Todd Haley has frequently said that the way the Chiefs line up in these OTAs doesn't necessarily mean much moving forward."

This

Jethopper
06-08-2010, 01:12 AM

This post must be dated before 2000. An antiquated view, it's an evolved "hands off" vertical passing game that has gripped the NFL for about 20 years now...

BossChief
06-08-2010, 03:05 AM
Geez that's mean. He's not THAT slow.

I meant it as a compliment. The guy was very football smart and diagnosed the plays well enough to always seem to be in the right place. He also had a knack for taking the ball away, but will always have a knock of lacking speed.

-King-
06-08-2010, 03:34 AM
Unless Page signs, I don't really trust any other Safety at the FS spot over Lewis at this point. I mean, Morgan has a shot, but ideally, Berry at SS, and Lewis at FS is ok IMO. Plus if Lewis can learn to play SS, they can be interchangeable and swap at times also, allowing Berry to move more freely as a FS.

Huh? Why would Berry play SS if Lewis is there? Why the fuck would Lewis play FS at all?

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-08-2010, 05:19 AM

....or they could just give Studebaker a shot and send "Vrabes" to a backup role or the retirement home. DJ is not a 3-4 OLB. Just because it might work in Madden, doesn't mean it will work in the real world ROFL

tomahawk kid
06-08-2010, 06:47 AM
Eric Beraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
Eric Berry.........

Frosty
06-08-2010, 08:03 AM

Haley said right after the draft that Lewis had run with an injury at the combine. I believe he said Lewis ran in the 4.5 range earlier, so he may not be as slow as that 4.8 time indicates.

MoreLemonPledge
06-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Eric Beraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
Eric Berry.........

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hr2MOiEnnF8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hr2MOiEnnF8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Saccopoo
06-08-2010, 09:31 AM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hr2MOiEnnF8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hr2MOiEnnF8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

That's just fucking embarrassing.

Detoxing
06-08-2010, 10:58 AM
That's just ****ing embarrassing.

Stop being a hater. Hater.

You're just mad cuz Okung isn't cool enough to have his own song.

milkman
06-08-2010, 08:17 PM
And who was the Safety that anchored that secondary? Oooh, thats right, one of the best to ever play the game.

Actually, Lott played corner as a rookie.

chiefzilla1501
06-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Huh? Why would Berry play SS if Lewis is there? Why the **** would Lewis play FS at all?

Because his strength is in his coverage skills and fluid hips. He's not a strong safety. I don't think he's as slow as people think--from what I've seen, I don't think anybody really worried about his speed until his disappointing 40 time.

I do think that where he's going to get caught is in situations where he's a last line of defense. He won't be Sammy Knight because they're two totally different safeties. But I think if you can put him in a defense that compensates for his lack of deep center field speed, he can be an average safety.

BIG K
06-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Uh,

John Browning never played NT in a 3-4. He played DT and DE in a 4-3.

The Chiefs last ran a 3-4 when Cowher was the defensive coordinator here. He took our 3-4 to Pittsburgh, where they still run it.

Pellom Mcdaniels was always a back-up, albeit one who played a lot. He spelled Derrick Thomas (hahahahahahahaha) as the 'falcon' for a stretch when Derrick was injured. Not so good, Al.

I will agree with you partly. In 97' it was a 3-4 but, a hybrid with Thomas playing the Falcon. Pellom, a DE, was used as Thomas' backup. Whether or not Browning was a true NT, I beleive He was listed as such on the roster, IIRC. The front displayed 4-3 because of Thomas' absence and Pellom inserted in his place but, they (the chiefs) claimed it was a 3-4 in 1997....

Mr. Laz
06-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Because his strength is in his coverage skills and fluid hips. He's not a strong safety. I don't think he's as slow as people think--from what I've seen, I don't think anybody really worried about his speed until his disappointing 40 time.

I do think that where he's going to get caught is in situations where he's a last line of defense. He won't be Sammy Knight because they're two totally different safeties. But I think if you can put him in a defense that compensates for his lack of deep center field speed, he can be an average safety.:doh!:

Fish
06-08-2010, 09:41 PM
I will agree with you partly. In 97' it was a 3-4 but, a hybrid with Thomas playing the Falcon. Pellom, a DE, was used as Thomas' backup. Whether or not Browning was a true NT, I beleive He was listed as such on the roster, IIRC. The front displayed 4-3 because of Thomas' absence and Pellom inserted in his place but, they (the chiefs) claimed it was a 3-4 in 1997....

Good memory, you're correct.

Interesting side note.... I work on Pellom McDaniels' computer on a regular basis at work. He's a really smart professor, and a helluva nice guy to boot. He always has interesting things to say about the current regime..

aturnis
06-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Good memory, you're correct.

Interesting side note.... I work on Pellom McDaniels' computer on a regular basis at work. He's a really smart professor, and a helluva nice guy to boot. He always has interesting things to say about the current regime..

Such as....

chiefzilla1501
06-08-2010, 09:57 PM
:doh!:

So basically every slow safety is a strong safety and every fast safety is a free safety. That seems to be what I'm gathering from you.

Kendrick Lewis is a Free Safety. Do your fucking homework before you insult other people. If you want to argue that he's not fast enough for free safety, fine--it's probably true. But to say he's a strong safety or that he's Sammy Knight is beyond wrong.

KCrockaholic
06-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Incase some of you all missed the Ole Miss - Bama game earlier, Kendrick Lewis played both Free and Strong Safety. He can do both.

BWillie
06-09-2010, 12:05 AM
So is Jarrad Page dead? Pretty sure he's starting day 1, now Lewis.

salame
06-09-2010, 03:23 AM
So is Jarrad Page dead? Pretty sure he's starting day 1, now Lewis.

I think he wants the fuck out of here

valheru
06-09-2010, 03:29 AM
I think he wants the **** out of here

Or he just wants more money than his tender.

salame
06-09-2010, 03:30 AM
Or he just wants more money than his tender.

I doubt he will get that

Mr. Laz
06-09-2010, 10:02 AM
So basically every slow safety is a strong safety and every fast safety is a free safety. That seems to be what I'm gathering from you.

Kendrick Lewis is a Free Safety. Do your fucking homework before you insult other people. If you want to argue that he's not fast enough for free safety, fine--it's probably true. But to say he's a strong safety or that he's Sammy Knight is beyond wrong.first of all ... i didn't insult you.

but i'll be happy to now you fuggin moron.

eric berry's numbers in college as a free safety:

<table class="tablehead" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="stathead" align="center" bgcolor="#ee9627"><td align="left">Stats Overview</td> <td colspan="6">Tackles</td><td colspan="2">Misc</td><td colspan="6">Interceptions</td></tr> <tr class="colhead" align="right"> <td align="left">YEAR</td><td>TOT</td> <td>SOLO</td> <td>AST</td> <td>SACK</td> <td>STF</td> <td>STFY</td> <td>FF</td> <td>BK</td> <td>INT</td> <td>YDS</td> <td>AVG</td> <td>LNG</td> <td>TD</td> <td>PD</td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow" align="right"> <td align="left">2007</td> <td>86</td> <td>52</td> <td>34</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>1</td> <td>0</td> <td>5</td> <td>222</td> <td>44.4</td> <td>96</td> <td>1</td> <td>0</td> </tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"> <td align="left">2008</td> <td>72</td> <td>44</td> <td>28</td> <td>3</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>7</td> <td>265</td> <td>37.9</td> <td>72</td> <td>2</td> <td>0</td></tr></tbody></table>

Eric Berry's numbers as a strong safety

<table class="tablehead" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="stathead" align="center" bgcolor="#ee9627"><td align="left">Stats Overview</td> <td colspan="6">Tackles</td><td colspan="2">Misc</td><td colspan="6">Interceptions</td></tr> <tr class="colhead" align="right"> <td align="left">YEAR</td><td>TOT</td> <td>SOLO</td> <td>AST</td> <td>SACK</td> <td>STF</td> <td>STFY</td> <td>FF</td> <td>BK</td> <td>INT</td> <td>YDS</td> <td>AVG</td> <td>LNG</td> <td>TD</td> <td>PD</td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow" align="right"> <td align="left">2009</td> <td>83</td> <td>54</td> <td>29</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td> <td>1</td> <td>0</td> <td>2</td> <td>7</td> <td>3.5</td> <td>7</td> <td>0</td> <td>0</td></tr></tbody></table>
i don't give a rat fuck about Lewis ... we want Berry at Free safety!!!!

KCrockaholic
06-09-2010, 10:09 AM
And BTW to go off what Laz just posted, Berry only had 2 interceptions last year, and 1 of them came while playing CB. So as a Strong Safety (in the box 2/3 of the time) he only had 1 INT.

dj56dt58
06-09-2010, 10:18 AM

I disagree on building from the back to the front. We've got two top 5 picks at end..seems like we have built the front and are just waiting for it to come together. And with the linebackers and romeos scheme you dont need a lot of talent there he can make just about anybody work. Romeos D will get pressure on the passer, now we have guys in the secondary to make plays off that pressure

BWillie
06-09-2010, 11:41 AM
And BTW to go off what Laz just posted, Berry only had 2 interceptions last year, and 1 of them came while playing CB. So as a Strong Safety (in the box 2/3 of the time) he only had 1 INT.

Yeah but nobody threw his direction, at all last year. They would see him lurking in the back field, and shit themselves.

mcaj22
06-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Berry played in the Tampa 2 last year so of course his numbers are going to be different. Him playing SS is moot because of the scheme they ran which was different from his first two years.

We are obviously not playing anything close to a Tampa 2 on defense on this team so regardless if he plays FS or SS expect his numbers in the 3-4 to be close to his first two years.

I'd expect him to be the guy that picks up the coverage for anytime they want to blitz Javier Arenas since that guy is dubbed "THE BEST BLITZING NICKEL CORNER EVER" or whatever hype he has.

KCrockaholic
06-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Yeah but nobody threw his direction, at all last year. They would see him lurking in the back field, and shit themselves.

I know, I was just using it as a reference for Laz. No matter where Berry plays he is going to be a playmaker!

Mr. Laz
06-09-2010, 01:49 PM
I know, I was just using it as a reference for Laz. No matter where Berry plays he is going to be a playmaker!but he is a bigger playmaker in center field where he can use his size,speed and athleticism to roam sideline to sideline and make interceptions. He's really the only guy we have with the speed to provide deep help to both cornerbacks each play.

How many times have our safeties not been fast enough to break up that deep timing pattern down the sideline? No safety help on the deep stuff makes our cornerbacks have to play soft.

keeping Berry in center field allows the CB's to move up which allows us to blitz and not give the QB an easy dump off. It might allow our entire defense to play forward and more aggressive.

i don't care if that means we have to play McGraw ... i want Berry being a ball hawk in centerfield.

Detoxing
06-09-2010, 01:54 PM
I gotta side with Laz on this one.

Yes, Berry should be a playmaker no matter where he lines up. BUT I'd much rather have him playing in coverage than in run support.

basically, everything that laz just said deserves a "THIS" response.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Locker?

Luck, Gabbert, and Mallet complete a Glorious Picture.

So many(hopefully)to choose from! http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/hug2.gif

http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/th_prayfbgods.gif

milkman
06-09-2010, 06:52 PM
I gotta side with Laz on this one.

Yes, Berry should be a playmaker no matter where he lines up. BUT I'd much rather have him playing in coverage than in run support.

basically, everything that laz just said deserves a "THIS" response.

This.

chiefzilla1501
06-09-2010, 08:26 PM
but he is a bigger playmaker in center field where he can use his size,speed and athleticism to roam sideline to sideline and make interceptions. He's really the only guy we have with the speed to provide deep help to both cornerbacks each play.

How many times have our safeties not been fast enough to break up that deep timing pattern down the sideline? No safety help on the deep stuff makes our cornerbacks have to play soft.

keeping Berry in center field allows the CB's to move up which allows us to blitz and not give the QB an easy dump off. It might allow our entire defense to play forward and more aggressive.

i don't care if that means we have to play McGraw ... i want Berry being a ball hawk in centerfield.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d818749bc&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true
There was a thread created about this already, but I encourage you to read it again. The free safety's job in Romeo's scheme is going to be significantly easier. He's there as double team help for a corner on a receiver. Berry would be involved on the strong side. To play Strong Safety, you have to be smart, you have to be big enough to handle run support, and you have to be an extra corner on the field. A Free Safety has to have coverage skills and be fast. That's it. Do you know how rare it is to have a strong safety whose smart, who can cover, and who can be put in the box? When you have it, you use it. You don't waste it at free safety, which is a pretty one-dimensional position.

And the original conversation was about Lewis, not Berry. Lewis is a free safety. It doesnt' matter if he starts. Playing him at strong safety is a stupid decision.

BossChief
06-09-2010, 08:55 PM
This.

that

KCrockaholic
06-09-2010, 10:51 PM
This is an interesting debate...

I personally don't give a shit where Eric Berry plays, as long as he is playing for the Chiefs.

Berry is going to make plays and shut down his part of the field no matter where he is at.

BossChief
06-09-2010, 11:05 PM
My take it that if he is playing strong side, that pretty much closes down that side with elite talent, but his coverage skills IMO can be best utilized playing over the top of Carr versus over the top of Flowers. Playing Berry at FS should even out our coverage so that it has less weakness in coverage and is able to be opportunistic.

chiefzilla1501
06-10-2010, 05:28 AM
My take it that if he is playing strong side, that pretty much closes down that side with elite talent, but his coverage skills IMO can be best utilized playing over the top of Carr versus over the top of Flowers. Playing Berry at FS should even out our coverage so that it has less weakness in coverage and is able to be opportunistic.

I think that makes sense. I still think most teams can survive just fine with a good enough guy at FS who doesn't have to be all-world. Because you just need a guy whose pretty smart and who has good cover skills. I mean, you're probably not going to go one-on-one with a WR anyway. He's just there to provide help. I don't think Flowers needs a lot of help. Carr probably will.

Strong Safety is a different animal. What makes it so difficult to play is that so few Safeties have the versatility to be a huge run stuffer and a big time cover guy. This guy wrote a pretty good piece on why (don't ask me why it's in the Bangkok Post). http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/29736/strong-safety-is-main-man-in-the-team
Berry completely fits this bill. And frankly, if you put him at Strong Safety, you're wasting his leadership, his versatility, and his ability to play like a LB.

Put a one-dimensional cover speed guy at Free Safety. If you want the best value out of Berry, he's got to play Strong. If you want to save him for health reasons, you put him at Free and sacrifice some value. That's what the decision boils down to.

Chiefless
06-10-2010, 07:47 AM
So, the FS in Crennel's D doubles on any weak-side streaking receiver, The SS patrols the middle to deep-middle and Flowers is on an island...Is that about right? I have little problem with that. The middle/deep middle was wide freaking open all last year and KC is using the one of the best players in the draft to try and plug it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-10-2010, 09:52 AM
that

And the other.

RustShack
06-10-2010, 10:03 AM
If Lewis is supposed to be the next Sammy Knight... wouldn't it make more sense to play him at Knights position of SS?

Mr. Laz
06-10-2010, 11:52 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d818749bc&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true
There was a thread created about this already, but I encourage you to read it again. The free safety's job in Romeo's scheme is going to be significantly easier. He's there as double team help for a corner on a receiver. Berry would be involved on the strong side. To play Strong Safety, you have to be smart, you have to be big enough to handle run support, and you have to be an extra corner on the field. A Free Safety has to have coverage skills and be fast. That's it. Do you know how rare it is to have a strong safety whose smart, who can cover, and who can be put in the box? When you have it, you use it. You don't waste it at free safety, which is a pretty one-dimensional position.

And the original conversation was about Lewis, not Berry. Lewis is a free safety. It doesnt' matter if he starts. Playing him at strong safety is a stupid decision.
yes, i've read this already and i don't like it

i'm going to track Crennel down and shoot his pinkie toe off if he screws Berry up.

I would rather have Berry with less responsibility and the ability freelance than shove him down in the box.

BossChief
06-10-2010, 01:04 PM
If Lewis is supposed to be the next Sammy Knight... wouldn't it make more sense to play him at Knights position of SS?

In 3 of his 11 years, he played free safety. He had some good years there, he averaged his career best in interceptions in those three years at free and totaled 20 takeaways in those three years. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KnigSa00.htm
I dont claim to be an expert on Lewis one bit, but from what Ive read across the board on the kid, he seems to be a Knight clone in about every possible way.

Not fast
great instincts
good leadership
strong
well prepared

I would rather see him playing strong side to be honest, though.

RustShack
06-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Yeah I'm in the same boat. I think he makes for a far better SS. I also think Berry makes for a far better FS.

BossChief
06-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Im disapointed that Dajuan Morgan isnt doing whats necessary to be considered for a starting role by now.

I was very excited about that pick and the whole time have been taking into consideration that he was only a 1 year starter for the wolfpack and would take time to get up to speed at the pro level...I just wonder if he will ever take the next step. The kid was "Eric Berry light" in college when he got on the field. A safety that seemed to have the skills it takes to be good against the run and pass at the next level. If the light goes on for that kid and he earns a starters job and fulfills his potential, our secondary can be sick across the board.

Ill be ok if Lewis earns that role/opertunity...but will be disappointed that Morgan never panned out.

Detoxing
06-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Im disapointed that Dajuan Morgan isnt doing whats necessary to be considered for a starting role by now.

I was very excited about that pick and the whole time have been taking into consideration that he was only a 1 year starter for the wolfpack and would take time to get up to speed at the pro level...I just wonder if he will ever take the next step. The kid was "Eric Berry light" in college when he got on the field. A safety that seemed to have the skills it takes to be good against the run and pass at the next level. If the light goes on for that kid and he earns a starters job and fulfills his potential, our secondary can be sick across the board.

Ill be ok if Lewis earns that role/opertunity...but will be disappointed that Morgan never panned out.

I think Morgan would be fine against the pass, but he seems like he would be a HUGE liability vs the run. The dude just looks soft.

chiefzilla1501
06-10-2010, 03:37 PM
yes, i've read this already and i don't like it

i'm going to track Crennel down and shoot his pinkie toe off if he screws Berry up.

I would rather have Berry with less responsibility and the ability freelance than shove him down in the box.

Just the opposite. Berry has a lot more opportunity to freelance in a Strong Safety position because you can put him wherever you want. You can stuff him in the box, blitz him, and he has the ability to make a lot of the defensive calls. Those are things he can't do as a Free. His only job in the Free is to play Center Field. Polamalu is the absolute definition of a freelancer.

The reason you think he'd be limited to stuffing the box as a SS is because 95% of Strong Safeties capable of playing in the box aren't capable of covering well. And when you have a 1-dimensional strong safety, it cuts your defensive playbook in half. Berry isn't your average Strong Safety.

Putting Berry at Free Safety lets him make more big plays and it might keep him a little healthier. But if you want a position that takes advantage of his superb leadership, football intelligence, versatility, and rare combination of size/speed, you want him at Strong Safety. I think there are lots of "good enough" free safeties in the league right now. Not nearly as many Strong Safeties who can both cover the run and the pass extremely well.

chiefzilla1501
06-10-2010, 03:39 PM
In 3 of his 11 years, he played free safety. He had some good years there, he averaged his career best in interceptions in those three years at free and totaled 20 takeaways in those three years. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KnigSa00.htm
I dont claim to be an expert on Lewis one bit, but from what Ive read across the board on the kid, he seems to be a Knight clone in about every possible way.

Not fast
great instincts
good leadership
strong
well prepared

I would rather see him playing strong side to be honest, though.

Sammy Knight was also extremely, extremely productive playing in the box. Kendrick Lewis would be a huge liability. That makes him a bad target to play SS.

Lewis' liability in run defense is much more worrisome than his liability playing centerfield.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Just the opposite. Berry has a lot more opportunity to freelance in a Strong Safety position because you can put him wherever you want. You can stuff him in the box, blitz him, and he has the ability to make a lot of the defensive calls. Those are things he can't do as a Free. His only job in the Free is to play Center Field. Polamalu is the absolute definition of a freelancer.

The reason you think he'd be limited to stuffing the box as a SS is because 95% of Strong Safeties capable of playing in the box aren't capable of covering well. And when you have a 1-dimensional strong safety, it cuts your defensive playbook in half. Berry isn't your average Strong Safety.

Putting Berry at Free Safety lets him make more big plays and it might keep him a little healthier. But if you want a position that takes advantage of his superb leadership, football intelligence, versatility, and rare combination of size/speed, you want him at Strong Safety. I think there are lots of "good enough" free safeties in the league right now. Not nearly as many Strong Safeties who can both cover the run and the pass extremely well.

I agree. Why the fuck would you want to "box in" the Ball-Hawk?

chiefzilla1501
06-10-2010, 04:11 PM
I agree. Why the **** would you want to "box in" the Ball-Hawk?

I think the problem is that because a player of Berry's ability is so rare, we compare him to players he doesn't compare to. Polamalu is an absolute ballhawk as a Strong Safety. And he's not nearly the kind of player in coverage Berry probably will be. And I don't think anyone would call Polamalu an "in the box" safety.

If he play Safety, I would imagine you'd see him in the box a lot less than your traditional strong safety.

BossChief
06-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Sammy Knight was also extremely, extremely productive playing in the box. Kendrick Lewis would be a huge liability. That makes him a bad target to play SS.

Lewis' liability in run defense is much more worrisome than his liability playing centerfield.
Can you explain why you think he is a liability against the run, I haven't read that. I have read the opposite actually and the kid lead that defense in tackles every year he played defense (he played his first two years as a wide receiver)

Im not saying you are wrong, Id just like to hear the reasoning behind that comment.

BossChief
06-10-2010, 04:21 PM

If he is at SS and our front seven is having trouble stopping the run, he would drop down to the box. I think that would happen quite frequently to be honest because our front seven isn't the most stout against the run.

IMO he should start his career playing more free safety and move to the strong side in two years or so once our front seven is capable of allowing us to use Berry in that Polamalu role (where his job is to freelance in that defense) He should support the run, but not be a front line guy in that process. We need him to be a playmaker in coverage and he could be exactly that at free.

JMO

chiefzilla1501
06-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Can you explain why you think he is a liability against the run, I haven't read that. I have read the opposite actually and the kid lead that defense in tackles every year he played defense (he played his first two years as a wide receiver)

Im not saying you are wrong, Id just like to hear the reasoning behind that comment.

Well, first of all, he played Free Safety in college which indicates that he's probably better equipped for that position. And I think his playing receiver probably tells you that his skills at safety are probably much better suited for a coverage position rather than a guy who will be asked to play like a linebacker on some downs. And you combine that with the fact that he doesnt' have the ideal size to play strong safety (while similar dimensions to Berry, Berry is a much different type of animal). Just my opinion. I think playing him at SS would be playing him out of position and who knows how that would turn out.

chiefzilla1501
06-10-2010, 04:29 PM
If he is at SS and our front seven is having trouble stopping the run, he would drop down to the box. I think that would happen quite frequently to be honest because our front seven isn't the most stout against the run.

IMO he should start his career playing more free safety and move to the strong side in two years or so once our front seven is capable of allowing us to use Berry in that Polamalu role (where his job is to freelance in that defense) He should support the run, but not be a front line guy in that process. We need him to be a playmaker in coverage and he could be exactly that at free.

JMO

That's an interesting thought.

But I would add the argument that Berry gives you that extra guy in the box at a time when the Chiefs will need box support, he adds a major blitzing capability to a defense that has no pass rush, and as a strong safety probably has more power to influence some of the defensive calls.

I can see your point. I just think that with Berry at Free, RBs will run all over us and QBs will have more than enough time to throw away from Berry anyway. I don't think having a ballhawk is nearly as useful when your defense can't get to the QB to force him to get rid of it sooner than he'd like. From a difference-making standpoint, I think he easily makes a bigger difference for now in the Strong.

Fish
06-10-2010, 04:40 PM
I thought it had been reported that Crennel would play a left/right safety and have them do a little of both the traditional SS/FS roles...?

jidar
06-10-2010, 04:56 PM
i dunno...

aaaannd the drafturbation begins.

Pablo
06-10-2010, 05:00 PM
aaaannd the drafturbation begins.It never stops around this place.

The opening kick-off the Chargers will advance to the 35 and somebody will post "And that's why we really need to focus on a LBer in the 4-6 rounds that can add solid special teams play in the 2011 draft".

salame
06-10-2010, 05:02 PM
It never stops around this place.

The opening kick-off the Chargers will advance to the 35 and somebody will post "And that's why we really need to focus on a LBer in the 4-6 rounds that can add solid special teams play in the 2011 draft".

http://hoaxblog.s3.amazonaws.com/mastiff_lg.jpg

chiefzilla1501
06-10-2010, 05:27 PM
I thought it had been reported that Crennel would play a left/right safety and have them do a little of both the traditional SS/FS roles...?

Well, granted, most offenses line up strong side right. So a lot of his snaps would be on the strong side.

Mr. Laz
06-10-2010, 06:41 PM
That's an interesting thought.

But I would add the argument that Berry gives you that extra guy in the box at a time when the Chiefs will need box support
you really don't care if our Blue chip/5th pick high dollar safety is a broken husk by the time we are really any good ... do you?

chiefzilla1501
06-10-2010, 07:31 PM
you really don't care if our Blue chip/5th pick high dollar safety is a broken husk by the time we are really any good ... do you?

I care about putting him in the position where he'll make the most impact. If he's going to be a top 5 pick, he need to be a difference maker, not just a playmaker. The playbook doubles in size if Berry plays SS.

Is it more of an injury risk? Of course it is. But I think you're basing a lot of that injury risk on what guys like Bob Sanders and Rodney Harrison do, which I wouldn't endorse for any Safety. Polamalu doesn't play with nearly the same kind of violence and he's stayed a lot healthier throughout his career. And I don't see Berry as that kind of player either. He's a hard hitter but I don't see his style of play anywhere close to Sanders'.

Mr. Laz
06-10-2010, 07:36 PM
I care about putting him in the position where he'll make the most impact. If he's going to be a top 5 pick, he need to be a difference maker, not just a playmaker. The playbook doubles in size if Berry plays SS.

Is it more of an injury risk? Of course it is. But I think you're basing a lot of that injury risk on what guys like Bob Sanders and Rodney Harrison do, which I wouldn't endorse for any Safety. Polamalu doesn't play with nearly the same kind of violence and he's stayed a lot healthier throughout his career. And I don't see Berry as that kind of player either. He's a hard hitter but I don't see his style of play anywhere close to Sanders'.
it's not just a "risk" it's almost a certainty

you put him at SS and you can start the clock on his body falling apart.

i'm done ... i hate you.

salame
06-10-2010, 08:01 PM

i'm done ... i hate you.

Such has been true with Polamolu(sp?) and Bob Sanders
why one would disagree seems silly

chiefzilla1501
06-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Such has been true with Polamolu(sp?) and Bob Sanders
why one would disagree seems silly

No. People are generalizing BECAUSE of Bob Sanders. The Strong Safety is a more violent position more prone to injury. But JFC, the exaggeration of how much safer it is to play Free Safety is ridiculous. Polamalu, by the way, has had about the same injury track record as Brian Dawkins and Ed Reed, who have been one of the healthier safeties over the course of a career. And Polamalu's injuries came from: 1) an ankle injury suffered in practice (5 games); 2) a knee injury suffered during... wait for it... special teams.

Free and Strong Safeties are both pretty frequent-injury positions.

chiefzilla1501
06-10-2010, 08:33 PM

i'm done ... i hate you.

Dude, do me a favor.

Flip through as many depth charts as you can.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/teams
And tell me how many Free Safeties have a string of "16 games" (of those who have had at least a 5-year career). Ed Reed, Darren Sharper, and Brian Dawkins are by far the healthiest, but that's about it and Reed and Dawkins have been just as injury-prone as say a Polamalu or an Adrian Wilson. Most Free Safeties have a few 16s and a loooootttt of 12s. Especially true in modern days, where Free Safeties are asked to take on a lot more RB than they used to.

Let's face it. The whole reason people worry about Eric Berry is Bob Sanders. The ONLY reason. Those two aren't even close to the same player. I can understand people who argue that Berry will make a bigger difference at FS (even if I disagree). But the injury history of a Strong Safety, especially one who doesn't have a reputation for constantly trying to go for killshots, isn't significant enough that you not play him at the position you feel like he would be most effective.

KCrockaholic
06-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Soo....All this talk about Kendrick Lewis ONLY being a FS is total Bullcrap!

I now understand why Haley/Pioli picked him. He played both FS and SS all throughout the year.

If Lewis can hold down the SS spot, Berry can play his more natural position of FS if that's how Crennel wants to use him.

LetsSignRussell
06-10-2010, 10:42 PM
berry mvp

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-11-2010, 09:54 AM
aaaannd the True Fan reaction remains constant: let's just be "in the hunt" every year, and be slap-happy fuckheads! yay!.

Fxd/Thx! :thumb:

BossChief
06-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Per Twitter

Herm Edwards HermEdwardsESPN

Free safety,he's a diffrence maker.RT @BossChief78: How much of an impact do you think Eric Berry will have ? If you were coaching him, where would he play?

I also asked him:

Tony gonzales / Jared allen RT @BossChief78: @HermEdwardsESPN how about the best players for KC Coach?

Seems Herm doesn't know how to spell very well (misspelling Tonys name and difference), but I agree with him on both accounts.

milkman
06-12-2010, 06:43 AM
Per Twitter

Herm Edwards HermEdwardsESPN

Free safety,he's a diffrence maker.RT @BossChief78: How much of an impact do you think Eric Berry will have ? If you were coaching him, where would he play?

I also asked him:

Tony gonzales / Jared allen RT @BossChief78: @HermEdwardsESPN how about the best players for KC Coach?

Seems Herm doesn't know how to spell very well (misspelling Tonys name and difference), but I agree with him on both accounts.

Herman fucking Edwards?

Really?

LMAO

He's the CoMoChief of coaching.

chiefsngop
06-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Soo....All this talk about Kendrick Lewis ONLY being a FS is total Bullcrap!

I now understand why Haley/Pioli picked him. He played both FS and SS all throughout the year.

If Lewis can hold down the SS spot, Berry can play his more natural position of FS if that's how Crennel wants to use him.

I'll be very interested to see how Crennel's scheme evolves throughout training camp and preseason; how it actually looks on the field.

Could very well end up being a left / right split field safety system with substitution packages out the yang.

If so, it makes this debate much more challenging...

DBOSHO
06-12-2010, 02:08 PM
If hes a playmaker, why wouldnt we put him at ss? It seems to me thats where all the playmakers comefrom with reed, polamalu, sanders ect

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Herman fucking Edwards?

Really?

LMAO

He's the CoMoChief of coaching.

/thread.

KCChiefsMan
06-12-2010, 03:34 PM
People were claiming Clausen to be a possible top 4 pick and a can't miss star QB. He got taken in the middle of the second round.

You can't play a season with the intention of drafting one player. I would immediately stop following this team if that was their goal.

don't forget that Jevon Snead was the unanimous #1 overall pick for the 2010 NFL draft, a year ago.