PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink What's Your City's Signature?

gblowfish
06-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Food, Drink or famous place to eat?

Here in KC, people always say you have to try the BBQ when you come visit. But what are signature food or drink or place to eat in other major USA cities? Here's what I've learned from my travels and searches, feel free to add your own. What should somebody try if they come to your town to get the local flavor?

I'll basically go west to east with my suggestions:

Seattle: Coffee

Portland: Voodoo Donuts

San Fran: Rice a Roni? Just kidding: Fisherman's Wharf Seafood

LA: Fatburger, The Pantry Cafe.

San Diego: 333 Pacific Restaurant, Seafood.

Salt Lake City: Lamb's Grill Cafe

Denver: Denver Omlette, Coors Beer.

El Paso: Chicken Mole

Dallas: Mexican food or T-Bone Steak

Austin: Threadgill's

Houston: Beaver's Restaurant

Okla City: Chicken Fried Steak Breakfast, The Diner, Norman OK.

Tulsa, OK: Sonic Drive In

Topeka, KS: Bobo's Drive In

KCMO: Arthur Bryant's, Gates or Oklahoma Joes BBQ

St. Louis: The Hill (Italian Food, several restaurants), Budweiser, Ted Drewe's Concrete.

Little Rock: Doe's Eat Place

Omaha: Omaha Steakhouse

Minneapolis: Wheaties, Famous Dave's BBQ, Hamm's Beer

Milwaukee: Miller Beer, Mader's Restaurant, Bratwurst.

Chicago: Billy Goat Tavern, Chicago Dog House, Giordano's Pizza

Cincinnati: Skyline Chili

Louisville, KY: Mint Julep, Kentucky Fried Chicken

Memphis: BBQ: The Rendevous or Corky's.

New Orleans: Johnny's Po-Boys, Dixie Beer, Popeye's Chicken

Nashville: Pancake Pantry, Goo-Goo Clusters

Atlanta: Chicken & Waffles, Coca-Cola

Detroit: Vernor's Ginger Ale, Lafayette Coney Island

Cleveland: Stadium mustard.

Buffalo: Hot Wings, Beef on Weck

Pittsburgh: Heinz Ketchup, Pierogies, Iron City Beer.

Philly: Pat's "King of Steaks" Cheese Steak.

Indianapolis: Hoosier Sugar Creme Pie, Orville Redenbacher Popcorn.

NY City: Nathan's Hot Dog, Waldorf Salad at Waldorf Hotel, Reuben at Carnegie Deli.

Washington, DC: Ben's Chili Bowl

Baltimore: Old Bay Spice, Crab Cakes from G&M Restaurant or Phillips.

Charlotte: Alfred & Charlies Carolina BBQ, Lexington BBQ

Tampa: Salt Rock Grill Seafood

Miami: Joe's Stone Crabs

luv
06-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Springfield Style Cashew Chicken

MoreLemonPledge
06-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Platte City: Orange Water Tower

Yeah, that's fucking it. I hate this town.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-07-2010, 02:36 PM
If you don't mind dropping 2-3 hundred on dinner for a special night out, the next time you're in Seattle stop by The Metropolitan Grill. Tell them Mr. Flopnuts sent you. Actually, don't. There's a dress code.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-07-2010, 02:37 PM
There is so much awesome cuisine in this town that I don't even know where to begin. Whether you're looking to spend $5-10, up to a couple hundred, I could steer you to dozens of places that you would love.

Reaper16
06-07-2010, 02:39 PM
When I think "San Diego" I think fish tacos.

Slainte
06-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Tampa: Salt Rock Grill Seafood

This instead:

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/

Pablo
06-07-2010, 02:44 PM
St. Joe has Sack n Save chili dogs, 3 for $1.20

Bob Dole
06-07-2010, 02:45 PM
U.S. Post Office and Federal courthouse that's actually in 2 states.

Not really all that exciting.

MOhillbilly
06-07-2010, 02:47 PM

wouldnt it just be ' spfld. cashew chicken'?

Slainte
06-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Seville's not so big on good restaurants. So it's tapa bars, sangria and tinto de verano...

LetsSignRussell
06-07-2010, 02:49 PM
antique city wohoo!

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 02:56 PM

Does this mean the chicken is fried? If so, what an absolute abomination.

luv
06-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Does this mean the chicken is fried? If so, what an absolute abomination.

Chicken is fried. Cashew sauce. Cashews. Green onion.

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 02:58 PM

Yep, had it. Hate it. Just not a fan of having chicken strips in my cashew chicken.

luv
06-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Yep, had it. Hate it. Just not a fan of having chicken strips in my cashew chicken.

How do you have sweet-n-sour chicken?

MOhillbilly
06-07-2010, 03:00 PM

FTR the Org. leong's tea house cashew chicken was awesome. The rest are blah at best.

blaise
06-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Rochester, NY: White Hot Dogs and Garbage Plates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Tahou_Hots

gblowfish
06-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Rochester, NY: White Hot Dogs and Garbage Plates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Tahou_Hots

Wow, that looks really messy. Is it tasty? Wash it down with Genesee Beer?

Buehler445
06-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Scott City - Majestic Theater. It's more about atmosphere than food.

There's also Taco Grande if you're in the mood for a gut bomb. It's fantastically terrible food. And I love it.

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 03:11 PM
FTR the Org. leong's tea house cashew chicken was awesome. The rest are blah at best.

Is that where it started or something, or is (was?) a location that did it particularly well?

And, luv, I know what you're saying, but that just seems like an entirely different animal to me. From the sauce on up.

blaise
06-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Wow, that looks really messy. Is it tasty? Wash it down with Genesee Beer?

Many a time, around 3 AM after many Genny beers They're good if you don't mind the health code violations at the reastaurant.

Bob Dole
06-07-2010, 03:14 PM

It's actually Oyster Sauce...

MOhillbilly
06-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Is that where it started or something, or is (was?) a location that did it particularly well?

And, luv, I know what you're saying, but that just seems like an entirely different animal to me. From the sauce on up.

Yes leongs is where it started. They went out of business in 97' after a steep decline and a brutal armed robbery.

DeezNutz
06-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Yes leongs is where it started. They went out of business in 97' after a steep decline and a brutal armed robbery.

Damn. That's too bad.

The efforts I've tried have all been sub-par, but I'd be willing to change my view if I had a reason.

CoMoChief
06-07-2010, 03:16 PM
ATL: Chicken & Waffles

ROFL

MOhillbilly
06-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Damn. That's too bad.

The efforts I've tried have all been sub-par, but I'd be willing to change my view if I had a reason.

i have a bro who does it right. Ill ask him and foward the recipe to CP.

blaise
06-07-2010, 03:17 PM
And something else about Rochester. The white hot dogs people eat there are awesome. I prefer them over red hots. I don't know why they're not sold in other parts of the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_hot

Infidel Goat
06-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Winston-Salem, NC.

http://cgabriel.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/import/hot-original-glazed.jpg

Hot
Krispy Kreme
Original Glazed
Now

burt
06-07-2010, 03:31 PM
I actually prefer Springfield style cashew chicken

vailpass
06-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Phoenix, AZ

1.Rito's Mexican Food

2.LoLos Chicken & Waffles
http://www.loloschickenandwaffles.com/

luv
06-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Winston-Salem, NC.

http://cgabriel.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/import/hot-original-glazed.jpg

Hot
Krispy Kreme
Original Glazed
Now

Did you know that one regular glazed KK donut has 200 calories? Overkill on the glaze.

MOhillbilly
06-07-2010, 03:37 PM
for spfld im goin Mexican Villas Burrito Enchilida Style.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Blue Springs, MO:Legend of Asia Buffet /ownage

luv
06-07-2010, 03:39 PM
for spfld im goin Mexican Villas Burrito Enchilida Style.

Oooooo....another good one. Or the Sancho Enchilada Style.

JD10367
06-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Rhode Island (where I live) is known for coffee milk, Del's frozen lemonade, "New York System" weiners, clamcakes and clam chowder.

Boston (where I'm from) is known, wrongly, for baked beans (which no one there eats), Legal Sea Food (which no one there goes to), the Faneuil Hall Marketplace food court (which only business people eat at for lunch), the "Cheers" bar (which is strictly for tourists)... Generally, the seafood's good, as is the pizza and Italian pastry (especially in the North End). Not really sure there's a "must have", aside from maybe getting heartburn from the food vendors outside Fenway Park.

luv
06-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Boston
Not really sure there's a "must have", aside from maybe getting heartburn from the food vendors outside Fenway Park.

Samuel Adams

MOhillbilly
06-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Oooooo....another good one. Or the Sancho Enchilada Style.

The triple taco basket at el taco is awesome aswell.

Detoxing
06-07-2010, 03:43 PM
I don't think Seafood is SD's "thing".

Aside from Fish Tacos, SD is the home of the ever-so-delicious "Carne Asada Fries/Chips"

Ate least I think it is.

MOhillbilly
06-07-2010, 03:44 PM
luv whats the name of the old school burger place on trafficway & the MLK bridge?

vailpass
06-07-2010, 03:44 PM
I don't think Seafood is SD's "thing".

Aside from Fish Tacos, SD is the home of the ever-so-delicious "Carne Asada Fries/Chips"

Ate least I think it is.

CarneAsada anything...mmmmmmmmmm

luv
06-07-2010, 03:46 PM
luv whats the name of the old school burger place on trafficway & the MLK bridge?

My mind keeps going to Steak-n-Shake, but I'm thinking St Louis & National. Looking that up.

JD10367
06-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Samuel Adams

You can get that anywhere, though. It's not something you have to have while in Boston.

MOhillbilly
06-07-2010, 03:52 PM
My mind keeps going to Steak-n-Shake, but I'm thinking St Louis & National. Looking that up.

Taylors:spock:(brain died) you should try it. The have great old school food. Be warned the drive up window is on the passenger side and they serve salad w/ all burger and fries. Awesome burgers,fries, & onion rings.

blaise
06-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Rhode Island (where I live) is known for coffee milk, Del's frozen lemonade, "New York System" weiners, clamcakes and clam chowder.

Boston (where I'm from) is known, wrongly, for baked beans (which no one there eats), Legal Sea Food (which no one there goes to), the Faneuil Hall Marketplace food court (which only business people eat at for lunch), the "Cheers" bar (which is strictly for tourists)... Generally, the seafood's good, as is the pizza and Italian pastry (especially in the North End). Not really sure there's a "must have", aside from maybe getting heartburn from the food vendors outside Fenway Park.

Mostly when I think of Boston I think of Dunkin Donuts. Not that you can't get it anywhere, it's just that Boston is lousy with them.

luv
06-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Taylors:spock:(brain died) you should try it. The have great old school food. Be warned the drive up window is on the passenger side and they serve salad w/ all burger and fries. Awesome burgers,fries, & onion rings.

I guess I'm not familiar with the MLK bridge. Crossroad?

Stinger
06-07-2010, 03:54 PM

Taylor's Drive In???

Edit: see you remembered

Stinger
06-07-2010, 03:57 PM
I guess I'm not familiar with the MLK bridge. Crossroad?

Trafficway and Kimbrough right by the Shrine Mosque

luv
06-07-2010, 04:02 PM

Ah, okay. I know the bridge. It's not the on I was originally thinking of. To be honest, I didn't even know there was a burger joint there. I'll definitely look for it.

MOhillbilly
06-07-2010, 04:03 PM
yup. after a quick lunch you can stop off at the STD flea market.

gblowfish
06-07-2010, 04:13 PM

I forgot about Boston, thanks!
What about Boston Creme Pie?

JD10367
06-07-2010, 04:26 PM
I forgot about Boston, thanks!
What about Boston Creme Pie?

I guess you could call that a signature dish. That was started at a Boston hotel, IIRC (can't remember which one). But, again, it's not something anyone here actually eats and, frankly, it's not something you need to come here for.

But I'm learning in my old age that food's origins are overrated. Take the Buffalo wing. My wife and I went to the Anchor Bar in Buffalo and, yeah, it's pretty damn good, but we've also had plenty of good Buffalo sauce at restaurants all over the place. Here in Rhode Island, one of the best clam chowders I find consistently is at... Pizzeria Uno. Pizza, Chinese food, Mexican, whatever... pick a city, and I'm sure you'll find a restaurant there that makes it very very well.

We just went to Belgium. Everything I'd heard and read said you have to have five things in Belgium: waffles, fries, chocolate, gelato, and beer. I had all five. The waffle was unimpressive, the fries were pretty bad, the chocolate was good but frankly no better than Godiva or Ghirardhelli or some others, the gelato was excellent but no different from what I've had in Spain, Italy, or France, and the beer was strong and different-tasting but nowhere near as good as some microbrew stuff I've had in the States.

OnTheWarpath58
06-07-2010, 05:19 PM
George, you should add Toasted Ravioli to the list for STL.

T-Ravs and marinara sauce? Good eats.

http://snaggingbaseballs.mlblogs.com/toasted_ravioli.jpg

Ebolapox
06-07-2010, 05:24 PM

casper's is supposed to be great, but I can't claim to have tried it in the last ten years.

Ebolapox
06-07-2010, 05:24 PM
and I still ROFL when I ponder the name "std flea market"

rambleonthruthefog
06-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Food, Drink or famous place to eat?

Austin: Threadgill's

try again

Art Vader
06-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Corpus Christi used to be "the sparkling city by the sea" and also birthplace and home of Selena... and Whataburger... now it's the fattest city in America.

Psyko Tek
06-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Phoenix, AZ

1.Rito's Mexican Food

2.LoLos Chicken & Waffles

I was gonna say filiberto's
or any hole in the wall mexican place where only one waitress speaks english

haven't tried either of those

ever hit Hunny Bear's Bar-b-que
not KC standards but decent in the valley

Saulbadguy
06-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Bobo's is old people food.

vailpass
06-07-2010, 06:03 PM
I was gonna say filiberto's
or any hole in the wall mexican place where only one waitress speaks english

haven't tried either of those

ever hit Hunny Bear's Bar-b-que
not KC standards but decent in the valley

Filibertos ROCKS after 2:00 a.m.!

Honey Bears was started by some dudes from Iowa. I really like the one down on Central (think that's the original one).

There are any number of excellent mexcian eateries here (as you know), Ritos' has been around forever and I like their style. No inside seating, not a huge menu, line out the door by 11:00 a.m. the food is so damn good. It's downtown,like 15th street and Garfield, but if you go during the day you are all good. I don't know what part of the Valley you call home but if you are ever in the neighborhood I reccomend the food.

LoLos is the quintessential soul food house. I bet you've heard of them from Barkley.
click this link then click the "president obama" link. A Suns fan will laugh.

Psyko Tek
06-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Filibertos ROCKS after 2:00 a.m.!

Honey Bears was started by some dudes from Iowa. I really like the one down on Central (think that's the original one).

There are any number of excellent mexcian eateries here (as you know), Ritos' has been around forever and I like their style. No inside seating, not a huge menu, line out the door by 11:00 a.m. the food is so damn good. It's downtown,like 15th street and Garfield, but if you go during the day you are all good. I don't know what part of the Valley you call home but if you are ever in the neighborhood I reccomend the food.

LoLos is the quintessential soul food house. I bet you've heard of them from Barkley.
click this link then click the "president obama" link. A Suns fan will laugh.

oh yeah I saw the vid will try the place next time I am in the area
rita's reviews looked great

nah the first hunny's was at 50th and van buren
used to have lunch there while I was working at the SRP building, on construction in '89

vailpass
06-07-2010, 06:18 PM
oh yeah I saw the vid will try the place next time I am in the area
rita's reviews looked great

nah the first hunny's was at 50th and van burenused to have lunch there while I was working at the SRP building, on construction in '89

I did not know that, didn't even know one was there. I dig their hot links and ribs.

CrazyPhuD
06-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Dude SF it's Buttsechs for the local flavor....

Gonzo
06-07-2010, 06:48 PM
The steakhouse thing for Omaha doesn't really apply anymore, really. We only have a handful left.

We've got:
Casios
Anthony's (over-rated)
The venice inn
Brother Sebastian's

That's it for the originals, (off the top of my head).

Its really quite a shame that both Caniglia's and Mr. C's closed. The others closed years ago, (i.e. Club 89).
Posted via Mobile Device

Gonzo
06-07-2010, 06:51 PM
St. Joe has Sack n Save chili dogs, 3 for $1.20

It's a goddamn shame that the D&G closed, I loved that shit hole.
Posted via Mobile Device

boogblaster
06-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Quincy Kansas .... me .. BOOG ....

gblowfish
06-07-2010, 08:12 PM
try again

Where in Austin would you recommend?

gblowfish
06-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Bobo's is old people food.

OK, what about that little dive chili place in North Topeka? Porubskys?
http://blogs.cjonline.com/index.php?entry=6304

KurtCobain
06-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Independence's signature is "history". The trails, and Harry Truman being the biggies.

Independence has this fire little place on the square, Dave's Bakery and Deli, and it has the best sandwiches, if you're touring "Historical Independence", it's a place to eat I'd highly reccomend. Also Gregory G's BBQ and Square Pizza are excellent choices you can't go wrong with.

gblowfish
06-07-2010, 08:48 PM
If we're talking Independence, I'd say The Big Biscuit on 40 Highway for Breakfast, Dixon's Chili for Lunch and Verona Cafe or Ophelia's on the Square for Dinner.

Square Pizza is good, Gregory G's BBQ is fair to not so great (IMHO), but not nearly in the same class compared to what else you can get around town.

The Rhinelander has German Food, if you like Chcken A La Hitler and Polka Bands.

Great Expectations
06-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Altoona Ks, has the Nut Hut.

In Joplin we have Fred n Reds; it would be perfect for Diner's, Drive In's, and Dives.

Saulbadguy
06-07-2010, 09:39 PM
OK, what about that little dive chili place in North Topeka? Porubskys?
http://blogs.cjonline.com/index.php?entry=6304

:clap:

Much better. Although i've never actually been there...i've only take-out from there. That includes the chili, and the hot pickles.

RJ
06-07-2010, 10:10 PM
I'll go with what I know.

Albuquerque - Red chile, green chile. For a signature place I'll go with Sadie's, but all locals have their favorites.

Baltimore - Angelina's for crab cakes, Obrycki's for steamed crabs. Okay, there are better places for crabs, but Obrycki's is downtown and it's famous. And you really should get a pit beef sandwich from Al's while you're there.

Paducah, Ky. - Yes, they have a signature. Starnes barbecue. Have a bbq (pulled pork) sandwich. Then have a turkey sandwich and a ham sandwich. I'd recommend the sweet tea, but some prefer an RC Cola. Place hasn't changed in probably 50 years and there's no reason why it should. Locals might have other favorites, but you can't beat Starnes for atmosphere. Not to mention it's right across the street from Dairy Queen if you want dessert.

San Antonio - If you can only eat one thing, please make it a breakfast taco. I'll suggest the barbocoa, but you can't go too wrong with chorizo and egg. Where to go? Ask a local.....ask 10, you'll get 10 answers.

That's all I got for the moment.

RJ
06-07-2010, 10:17 PM
If you ever get to Port Washington, Wisconsin, please stop at Smith Bros Fish Shanty for the fried fish. It's been a while, but I suppose they're still there.