PDA

View Full Version : Life Things I Love About Being A Man

CosmicPal
06-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Loved some of the stuff this guy had to say.

http://gentlemansjournal.wordpress.com/2010/06/02/things-that-i-love-about-being-a-man/

Being a man has facets more innumerable than we can count. More than I could ever define anyway. There are however those experiences which swell, within the soul of man, a mystical sense of transcendent brotherhood. Fraternity. An inexplicable sensation of masculinity. These experiences have no intrinsically masculine value. These experiences differ greatly in every man, as diverse as men themselves. These are things which, for lack of better phrasing, make me feel more like a man.

These are (a few of) mine. Enjoy.

• A good, long, close shave. Shaving cream, with the grain. Shaving cream, against the grain. Cold water, aftershave.
• The first smoke on a new pipe and/or the first smoke of a new tobacco.
• Good scotch
• The feel on my wrist of a quality watch
• My old Central Football shorts
• Scars on my hands. Each one a story.
• The smell of a locker room. Stale sweat and cologne. Weird I know, but it’s nostalgic.
• The Alabama hat I should have retired years ago
• My go-to tassel loafers. I’ll probably die in those things. Thank you Deke Bowman, and Bill Williams.
• Late-night talks among men of faith that span 3 hours and 100 topics
• Push mowing the grass. No shirt.
• The ‘PING’ of an aluminum bat
• Holding a child’s hand. Men have a paternal instinct, just like women have a maternal one.
• Cuff links
• Verses of scripture relating to God as a Warrior
• Verses of scripture relating to God as a Lover
• Scripture
• Work boots
• Playing my own songs. To myself.
• The sound of a bone shattering tackle, followed by 100,000 people in unison…”OOOHHH”
• Eating food that I have cooked
• The sound of a motorcycle
• Bow ties
• The sight of an old man, pants half up his belly, hat on his head, and his bride’s hand in his
• Peeling an apple with a pocket knife
• The sight of a beautiful woman. And contrary to popular belief, it is possible to admire a woman’s beauty without thinking of sex.
• Clever names for months, celebrating beards (e.g. No-Shave November, Decembeard, Manuary, FeBroAry, etc.)
• My dad’s stories
• Jam Sessions with fellow songwriters. Just to hear new music.
• A seven-fold tie, full Windsor knot, with a deep dimple.
• A woman’s collar bones.
• The smell of an old barbershop. Barbicide, hair tonic, the faint smell of old smoke
• The song “Hallelujah” by Jeff Buckley (via Leonard Cohen)
• Emptying my pockets when I get home
• When people ask for advice. Men want to fix things.
• Rolled up sleeves
• Waking up in the woods, to the still hot embers of last night’s fire
• The sound of the first note of new guitar strings. I agree, Donnie.
• A girl with pigtails
• A clean, white, starched dress shirt
• Listening to baseball on AM radio
• The first shave with a fresh razor blade
• A woman in pearls
• The scent of a woman (and not the Pacino movie, although it is a classic)
• My Grandfather’s comb. I still use it.
• The smell of my Grandfather’s tool-shed. Grease, sawdust, and steel.
• The sound of caribiners and gear clinking off a backpack
• Pablo Neruda, Wendell Berry, Leonard Cohen, and William Butler Yeats. These men penned some of the greatest poems ever written.

Dayze
06-07-2010, 07:44 PM
warm summer night, cigar, and snifter of Don Julio anejo.

gblowfish
06-07-2010, 07:45 PM
What? Where's Peeing Standing Up? Nowhere on the list??? C'mon now...

Bugeater
06-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Or poking a wasp's nest with a stick? Or saying "Hold my beer and watch this"? This list is for pussies.

KS Smitty
06-07-2010, 07:52 PM

Absolutely! That's probably the one that most women (including me) wish they could do. That and shaving the part of your body that's easiest to see and reach.

Mr. Plow
06-07-2010, 07:53 PM
warm summer night, cigar, and snifter of Don Julio anejo.

I've recently become a big Don Julio admirer.

joesomebody
06-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Drinking beer on my porch with just me and my dog.

Grilling red meat on a barbecue grill.

Standing, hat in hand before a sporting event listening to the national anthem of the greatest country the world has ever known.
(This one even works for me on TV if it's the Olympics. LOVE when we kick the rest of the world's ass.)

Hot college girls with backpacks that only have one strap (Fellow college students know what I'm talking about.)

Riding with my Dad in his 1970 Challenger R/T hearing stories about his glory days.

Dayze
06-07-2010, 07:59 PM

:clap:

I highly recommend scoring some of those minature brandy snifters; you can really get some great spice aromas as you sip.

good stuff.

Centanario is good too, and about 1/2 the price.

not as good as Juilo, but you get the idea.

Bearcat
06-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Went to the homepage and the first thing I see...

Most people, most of the time, judge you by what you’re wearing, and if you care what people think, you should care about what you wear. Life doesn’t get much simpler than that.

So, the duct tape should go on the inside? Is that what they're trying to say here?

"Bob" Dobbs
06-07-2010, 08:01 PM
OK I gotta admit... the line about "God as a lover" kinda creeped me out.

BucEyedPea
06-07-2010, 08:07 PM
• A good, long, close shave. Shaving cream, with the grain. Shaving cream, against the grain. Cold water, aftershave.
I pity anyone that has to do that daily.
• Good scotch
• The feel on my wrist of a quality watch
Well, so can we.
• The smell of a locker room. Stale sweat and cologne. Weird I know, but it’s nostalgic.
Yuck! But since men can be gross I can understand this one.
• Push mowing the grass. No shirt.
Men liking this is our blessing.
• Holding a child’s hand. Men have a paternal instinct, just like women have a maternal one.
Sweet
• The sound of a bone shattering tackle, followed by 100,000 people in unison…”OOOHHH”
I like that too but I also cringe and feel sorry for the tacklee.

• When people ask for advice. Men want to fix things.
Yeah it's validating.

• A woman in pearls
Hmmm.

Douche Baggins
06-07-2010, 08:12 PM
• The first smoke on a new pipe and/or the first smoke of a new tobacco.

Terrible. Disgusting.

• The feel on my wrist of a quality watchElitist garbage.

• Late-night talks among men of faith that span 3 hours and 100 topicsPointless mental masturbation. A waste of time.

• Verses of scripture relating to God as a Warrior
• Verses of scripture relating to God as a LoverGet your head out of the clouds, ninny.

• A seven-fold tie, full Windsor knot, with a deep dimple.Fuck this. Whoever invented the tie should be beaten, raped, drug out into the street and shot like Alex Murphy.

• Pablo Neruda, Wendell Berry, Leonard Cohen, and William Butler Yeats. These men penned some of the greatest poems ever written.Faggoty-ass bullshit.

Bearcat
06-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Terrible. Disgusting.

Elitist garbage.

Pointless mental masturbation. A waste of time.

Get your head out of the clouds, ninny.

**** this. Whoever invented the tie should be beaten, raped, drug out into the street and shot like Alex Murphy.

pillowbitery-ass bullshit.

I agree with your view on ties.

Marcellus
06-07-2010, 08:57 PM
The ping of an aluminum bat? Hell no.

The crack of a wooden bat. Hell yea.

CosmicPal
06-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Terrible. Disgusting.

Elitist garbage.

Pointless mental masturbation. A waste of time.

Get your head out of the clouds, ninny.

**** this. Whoever invented the tie should be beaten, raped, drug out into the street and shot like Alex Murphy.

pillowbitery-ass bullshit.

I know chicks who are more masculine than you'll ever be: Cool chicks who gamble, smoke cigars, and drink scotch on the rocks. They'll kick you in the balls so hard you'd run home to your Captain Kirk pillowcase and weep like the douche that you are.

I know chicks who can fish, yell at football games, and throw a ball over the roof of your parent's house you hole yourself up in.

I know chicks who'll do shots, hit a golf ball past a barn door, and break lobster with their bare hands. Oh, and they're hot, they're cool, and a whole lot tougher than you'll ever be.

P.S. Neruda, Yeats, and Cohen have all written some of the most masculine and compelling works of art- each one of those men are a thousand times more a man than you'll ever be. And I can assure you, they've all been laid more than you'll ever get to know.

If you want to be a man, stop acting like an ass.

Douche Baggins
06-07-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm stating my opinion and standing by it. That's as manly as it gets. Go fuck yourself.

Pitt Gorilla
06-07-2010, 09:07 PM
"The sight of a beautiful woman. And contrary to popular belief, it is possible to admire a woman’s beauty without thinking of sex."

Um, no it's not. I love the female form but it has just about everything to do with sex and instincts. Along with the aluminum bat comment, I'm not sure this guy actually understands being a man.

LaChapelle
06-07-2010, 09:48 PM
I would say not shaving would be more manly
but getting the chest hairs caught while buttoning his dress shirt probaly smarts

Rain Man
06-07-2010, 09:59 PM
No offense, but if I was at a party standing next to the guy who wrote that, I'd excuse myself to go get a drink, and then I'd stand against the opposite wall and look at chicks.

OnTheWarpath58
06-07-2010, 10:01 PM

Great, but better when performed by an actual barber in an actual barber shop with the hot towel treatment, etc.

Last time I was in Indy, I checked this place out based on a recommendation.

Did the full head and face. (I usually shave my head down to stubble - clippers, no guard)

Awesome experience, and yes, I felt for a moment like I was going to get whacked.

http://www.redsclassicbarbershop.com/index.html

luv
06-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Was this list written by a woman?

MoreLemonPledge
06-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Putting my P in a Va-G.

LaChapelle
06-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Take away man's ability to urinate
even if it's into a bag taped to his side
and he would cease to find a reason to exsist

Pitt Gorilla
06-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Was this list written by a woman?Essentially, yes.

Pablo
06-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Having a dick.

The end.

Rain Man
06-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Things That Make Me Feel More Like A Man

1. When you throw a rock down a cliff and it loosens a bunch more rocks that all fall.
2. When you're racing slot cars and your car flies off the track and hits a person that you're racing against.
3. A good blindside hit, particularly if it's during a football game.
4. Watching any comedies that your wife doesn't like and calls "guy shows" as she leaves the room.
5. Getting a tight spiral.
6. Getting a tight...let's just say spiral again.
7. Lifting something heavy and realizing you can do it.
8. Being in the produce aisle and an attractive woman bends over to pick up a bag of clementines, and you move six inches to the right without anyone noticing so you can look down the top of her shirt, and then when she stands up you smile at her and she smiles back and you both go on with your day.
9. Your first day traveling on vacation with a big wad of cash in your pocket and an empty road ahead of you.
10. Paying off your mortgage (or so I hear).

Mr. Plow
06-07-2010, 10:57 PM
:clap:

I highly recommend scoring some of those minature brandy snifters; you can really get some great spice aromas as you sip.

good stuff.

Centanario is good too, and about 1/2 the price.

not as good as Juilo, but you get the idea.

Was down the bar one night and a buddy ordered some DJ....offered me a drink and now I have one just about everytime I'm down there. Great stuff. Expensive as shit....but worth it.

Pitt Gorilla
06-07-2010, 11:03 PM
1. Curvy broads
2. Football, hockey
3. Beer, 80's toys, video games
4. T-shirts/jeans
5. DIY plumbing, electrical, gardening

rad
06-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Putting a worm on a hook.

Chopping wood

Shooting a gun

Cutting down a tree

Opening a jar for my wife

T-post Tom
06-08-2010, 01:01 AM
Tune in for tomorrow's episode: "Things I love about being a lesbian trapped in a man's body..."

Jethopper
06-08-2010, 01:07 AM
1. Chewing
2. Fighting
3. Breaking Stuff
4. Not talking about feelings or Poetry
5. REO Speedwagon on Vinyl

Guru
06-08-2010, 01:09 AM
1. Chewing
2. Fighting
3. Breaking Stuff
4. Not talking about feelings or Poetry
5. REO Speedwagon on Vinyl
:shake:

T-post Tom
06-08-2010, 01:23 AM
Bubble baths and Oprah.

PhillyChiefFan
06-08-2010, 05:31 AM
Fighting with your best friend in the world, and 5 minutes later drinking a beer with them and laughing about it.

Hunting and fishing

Watching SportsCenter twice, cause you missed the first 5 mins.

Having a woman curl up next to you so you can keep her warm.

Standing with your friends in a fight.

Changing my wife's oil in my old dirty clothes.

Showers. Not baths.

JD10367
06-08-2010, 05:41 AM
Absolutely! That's probably the one that most women (including me) wish they could do. That and shaving the part of your body that's easiest to see and reach.

Yeah but men can help you with shaving the part of your body that's not easy to see and reach. >:-)

blaise
06-08-2010, 06:04 AM
Enjoying Caddyshack and Goodfellas.

luv
06-08-2010, 07:30 AM
Went to the homepage and the first thing I see...

So, the duct tape should go on the inside? Is that what they're trying to say here?

I completely overlooked this when reading through this last night. LMAO

luv
06-08-2010, 07:32 AM

Agree 100%.

Bugeater
06-08-2010, 07:32 AM
:shake:
Hey now, I still have a copy of Decade of Rock n Roll on vinyl.

Sofa King
06-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Or poking a wasp's nest with a stick? Or saying "Hold my beer and watch this"? This list is for pussies.

i stopped reading...

i was beginning to think this was a list for the gays...

luv
06-08-2010, 07:35 AM
1. Curvy broads
2. Football, hockey
4. T-shirts/jeans

I like this list, except the DIY stuff. Oh, and add hilly roads too.

luv
06-08-2010, 07:37 AM
And bow ties?

Are these making a comeback I was unaware of? When I think of them, I think of old men or guys looking uncomfortable in tuxes.

Keep the sports coat, but lose the tie and unbutton that top button.

seclark
06-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Things I DON'TLove About Being A Man

hitting the age where your taters drop to the very bottom of the sack.

i tried teaching my grandaughter how to do the funky chicken last weekend, and racked myself so bad i dropped and went fetal in their front yard. :(
sec

Otter
06-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Women

Sofa King
06-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Things I DON'TLove About Being A Man

hitting the age where your taters drop to the very bottom of the sack.

i tried teaching my grandaughter how to do the funky chicken last weekend, and racked myself so bad i dropped and went fetal in their front yard. :(
sec

hahaha

blaise
06-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Last weekend we moved to a new house. I moved a washer and a refrigerator and dressers and beds by myself with a hand truck, no ramp on the moving truck. I was thinking, "It's good to be a man."

CoMoChief
06-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Boating/fishing w/ just me and pops.

luv
06-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Last weekend we moved to a new house. I moved a washer and a refrigerator and dressers and beds by myself with a hand truck, no ramp on the moving truck. I was thinking, "It's good to be a man."

Did your back agree?

DeezNutz
06-08-2010, 07:46 AM
The "ping" of a metal bat????? Yikes.

The "crack" of a wooden bat, and the sound resonating through the stadium.

blaise
06-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Did your back agree?

It held up. Cold beers at the end of the day made me feel much better.

BucEyedPea
06-08-2010, 07:51 AM
1. Curvy broads
2. Football, hockey
4. T-shirts/jeans

That's what I call old ladyish!

MOhillbilly
06-08-2010, 08:17 AM
lost me at bow ties.

Pestilence
06-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Great, but better when performed by an actual barber in an actual barber shop with the hot towel treatment, etc.

Last time I was in Indy, I checked this place out based on a recommendation.

Did the full head and face. (I usually shave my head down to stubble - clippers, no guard)

Awesome experience, and yes, I felt for a moment like I was going to get whacked.

http://www.redsclassicbarbershop.com/index.html

This. Nothing beats a shave by an actual barber with a straight razor and hot shaving cream.

tooge
06-08-2010, 08:33 AM
really just these things
1. peeing standing up
2. being able to lift heavy things
3. being able to be "dirty" from housework or yardwork and being able to go out without being thought of as a scumbag
4. being able to truly command respect (sorry ladies)
5. being able to get together with more than one friend at a time without badmouthing someone
6. being able to start a fire, gut a deer, clean a fish, change the oil, all while drinking a beer

big nasty kcnut
06-08-2010, 08:38 AM
watching fox news not only for news but to see hot ladies in short skirts.
Drinking an adult beverage.
Reading a good story and then writing your own.
Getting a girl number then going out with her.
dancing to a good song and not feel stupid doing it
Watching football with my dad.

luv
06-08-2010, 08:42 AM
lost me at bow ties.

I'm trying to picture you in a bow tie. LMAO

MOhillbilly
06-08-2010, 08:46 AM
I'm trying to picture you in a bow tie. LMAO

i wore one at my cousins wedding. And wore a tie at my dads funeral. Only two times ive ever worn a tie.

Bugeater
06-08-2010, 09:14 AM
watching fox news not only for news but to see hot ladies in short skirts.
Drinking an adult beverage.
Reading a good story and then writing your own.
Getting a girl number then going out with her.
dancing to a good song and not feel stupid doing it
Watching football with my dad.
You're on to something there 'nut, it's been so long since I've dated that I've forgotten about how good it feels to know you've just hooked a lady.

Detoxing
06-08-2010, 09:29 AM

ROFL. Damn Straight.

Detoxing
06-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Here are a few more:

1. Detailing your car for 2-3 hours, standing back and admiring your work. Then driving it so everyone else can admire your work.

2. That satisfied feeling when you finally fix all those things around the house that you've been meaning to get to

3. Kicking back with some beer and some friends watching sports, screaming at the TV and showing off your knowledge of the game

4. Rough housing with your dog.

5. Opening that jar that she can never open

6. Masturbating furiously

luv
06-08-2010, 09:42 AM
I think we should start a ChiefsPlanet version of this list. Everyone could list their top 10. Then someone could weed through it and make the list of the top 50 (even with guys only giving top 10, I'm sure there will be at least 50 different things).

luv
06-08-2010, 09:43 AM
I think we should start a ChiefsPlanet version of this list. Everyone could list their top 10. Then someone could weed through it and make the list of the top 50 (even with guys only giving top 10, I'm sure there will be at least 50 different things).

If we had more women to give input, I'd say do one for us as well. Might be interesting to see what some of the similarities/differences are.

MOhillbilly
06-08-2010, 09:45 AM
I can turn my emotion off when work needs done, cause sometimes thats just the way it is..

Rain Man
06-08-2010, 10:36 AM
This. Nothing beats a shave by an actual barber with a straight razor and hot shaving cream.

A local barber shop here would shave your neck that way when you got a haircut. It was very nice.

boogblaster
06-08-2010, 10:54 AM
just being a man is basic knowledge of everything that is needed to survive

Iowanian
06-08-2010, 10:55 AM
I like that my family knows my hands are strong enough to provide, soft enough to hold, firm enough to teach and tough enough to pull the head off of a monkeywolf to protect them.

As I read this thread last night, I looked down at the wiggling poop machine in the camo beanie rubbing his fingers across the stitches in my hand, the grease from the repaired bike chain on my arm and dust from the Tball field on my leg and knew it was a good evening.

There are plenty of things to like about being a man and I'm not sorry about any of them.

Iowanian
06-08-2010, 10:56 AM
just being a man is basic knowledge of everything that is needed to survive

**Unless they shop at Abercrombie

MOhillbilly
06-08-2010, 11:00 AM
No cat hunting makes this entire thread suspect.

Pants
06-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Or how about not having to worry about:

- Menstruation
- Giving birth
- Mood swings (mental instability due to hormones)
- Dumbest insecurities ever
- Putting make up on

Just to name a few.

P.S. Sorry if repost.

MOhillbilly
06-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Or how about not having to worry about:

- Menstruation
- Giving birth
- Mood swings (mental instability due to hormones)
- Dumbest insecurities ever
- Putting make up on

Just to name a few.

P.S. Sorry if repost.

you still have to put up with all of those as a man.

Pants
06-08-2010, 12:28 PM

LMAO

Too true.

blaise
06-08-2010, 12:28 PM

Yeah, I'd say men are on the short end of the mood swings.

Dartgod
06-08-2010, 12:34 PM
You gotta try Don Julio 1942. It's around $90-$100 a bottle but damn it's good. Best tequila I've had by far, and I've tried a lot of them.

Mr. Plow
06-08-2010, 01:03 PM
You gotta try Don Julio 1942. It's around $90-$100 a bottle but damn it's good. Best tequila I've had by far, and I've tried a lot of them.

I definitely will. Been planning to get a bottle at home so I don't have to pay the $8/shot to drink it at the bar.

luv
06-08-2010, 01:04 PM

Having them is no picnic either.

MOhillbilly
06-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Having them is no picnic either.

for the 1000th time.......:)

luv
06-08-2010, 01:23 PM
for the 1000th time.......:)

You better be glad you caught me in a good mood. :p