PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Name A Movie That Is...

Tombstone RJ
06-08-2010, 12:35 AM
...better than the book. I can name two off the top of my head: Jaws and Blade Runner.

Peter Benchley can't write to save his ever lov'n mind. I mean, the guy sucks as a writer and when Spielberg took his very mediocre book and turned it into one of the all time greatest films ever made, Benchley rode the wave of money into history.

Blade Runner is based on a book titled Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and that book stunk. I mean, it stunk bad. Blade Runner is nothing like the book, in fact, I still can't figure out how anyone can credit Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep as the source for Blade Runner.

Most of the time (maybe 99% of the time) the book is always better than the film/movie. However, there are instances when the movie just takes the book to a whole new level. Anyone know of another case where it can be reasonbly argued that the movie is better than the book?

BWillie
06-08-2010, 12:37 AM
Easy. There are some movies that are based on books. The books that are based on movies are the ones that are worse.

CrazyPhuD
06-08-2010, 12:40 AM
Showgirls

Ebolapox
06-08-2010, 12:41 AM
hmmmm......MAYBE the original 'willie wonka and the chocolate factory,' insofar as the book was rather short and gene wilder was brilliant.

gone with the wind, both are about equal (I'd give a slight nod to the book, but it's damned close).

it's been a while, but forrest gump the book wasn't quite as good as the movie (they did a great job with that movie).

you're right, there aren't many. and the three I've listed have been reaches, I could go either way on them depending on when you ask me.

T-post Tom
06-08-2010, 12:46 AM
The Children of Men

Pitt Gorilla
06-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Shaving Ryan's Privates
Glad-he-ate-her

T-post Tom
06-08-2010, 12:47 AM
Schindler's List

Jenson71
06-08-2010, 01:30 AM
The Godfather

The book is fun, but the movie is an artistic masterpiece.

Thig Lyfe
06-08-2010, 01:32 AM
The Passion of the Christ

Chiefspants
06-08-2010, 01:34 AM
The Princess Bride

chiefs1111
06-08-2010, 01:45 AM
hmmm thats a good question. I really liked the Green Mile both book and movie a lot. Maybe the closest thing I can think of.

KCrockaholic
06-08-2010, 01:48 AM
Schindler's List

Nice. Great movie.

Tombstone RJ
06-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Easy. There are some movies that are based on books. The books that are based on movies are the ones that are worse.

Well, there are tons of movies based on books and those are the ones I'm referring to. The books based on movies are usually done to max out the market for the movie (appease the audience) as are video games that are based on movies.

Now movies that are based on video games are horrid. They always suck.

OnTheWarpath58
06-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Not that the book was bad, because it wasn't - it's actually one of my favorites.

But American Psycho could go either way, IMO.

Adept Havelock
06-08-2010, 07:57 PM
I preferred the film versions of Outbreak and Creator to the novels.

Jenson, spot-on about the Godfather (I and II).

Reaper16
06-08-2010, 07:59 PM
The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Books were more innovative and influential than good.

Tombstone RJ
06-08-2010, 08:01 PM
There are plenty of movies that just don't do justice to the book, tons and tons of them out there everywhere. One that comes to mind that I could not stand was Less Than Zero. I mean, the book is actually a scathing indictment of the rich Hollywood lifestyle and the families that are part of the Hollywood/Movie/Movie production industry. Then, irony of irony the make a movie based on the book and guess what... um yah, it leaves out all the really gory crap about the Hollywood producers and thier kids.

Talk about total fail.

Less Than Zero is a sick book, literally and figuratively and when Hollywood got a hold of it, the film lost all credibility...

DeezNutz
06-08-2010, 08:01 PM
The Natural. /end thread

DeezNutz
06-08-2010, 08:02 PM
To Kill a Mockingbird is as good as the book.

Pioli Zombie
06-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Who's Nailin Paylin.

Hydrae
06-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Well, there are tons of movies based on books and those are the ones I'm referring to. The books based on movies are usually done to max out the market for the movie (appease the audience) as are video games that are based on movies.

Now movies that are based on video games are horrid. They always suck.

I don't know about that, I enjoyed Tomb Raider.

That may have just been because of Angelina though. :hmmm:

Infidel Goat
06-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Shawshank Redemption.

Delano
06-08-2010, 08:16 PM
There are plenty of movies that just don't do justice to the book, tons and tons of them out there everywhere. One that comes to mind that I could not stand was Less Than Zero. I mean, the book is actually a scathing indictment of the rich Hollywood lifestyle and the families that are part of the Hollywood/Movie/Movie production industry. Then, irony of irony the make a movie based on the book and guess what... um yah, it leaves out all the really gory crap about the Hollywood producers and thier kids.

Talk about total fail.

Less Than Zero is a sick book, literally and figuratively and when Hollywood got a hold of it, the film lost all credibility...

Ellis is releasing a sequel called Imperial Bedrooms this week I believe.
Posted via Mobile Device

big nasty kcnut
06-08-2010, 08:19 PM
The running man

Tombstone RJ
06-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Ellis is releasing a sequel called Imperial Bedrooms this week I believe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ellis Easton or Easton Ellis sold out on Less Than Zero, he must have been laughing all the way to the bank...

Delano
06-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Ellis Easton or Easton Ellis sold out on Less Than Zero, he must have been laughing all the way to the bank...

What did Ellis have to do with the film?
Posted via Mobile Device

MoreLemonPledge
06-08-2010, 08:32 PM
There Will Be Blood is superior to the book Oil!, though in fairness it was a pretty loose adaptation.

"Bob" Dobbs
06-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Stand By Me and Carrie, IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Not that the book was bad, because it wasn't - it's actually one of my favorites.

But American Psycho could go either way, IMO.

As much as I love the film, the film version of that text is like modifying a Todd Haley rant for Barney the Dinosaur.

They are so wholly dissimilar as to be completely unrelated.

Sully
06-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Most of the kids books aren't as good as the movies. Of course, the books are roughly 8 pages.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-08-2010, 08:52 PM

Talk about total fail.

All Ellis film adaptations are neutered. They have to be.

Delano
06-08-2010, 08:53 PM
As much as I love the film, the film version of that text is like modifying a Todd Haley rant for Barney the Dinosaur.

I wanted Habitrail in the movie.
Posted via Mobile Device

TrickyNicky
06-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Ben-Hur. Of course the book was written in 1880 so its not really fair.

L.A. Chieffan
06-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Fight Club

L.A. Chieffan
06-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Jaws and Godfather are good ones too.

Shawshank Redemption

Delano
06-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Jaws and Godfather are good ones too.

Shawshank Redemption

Add Fight Club to that list.
Posted via Mobile Device

L.A. Chieffan
06-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

will do good buddy

"Bob" Dobbs
06-08-2010, 09:18 PM
MASH the film blows MASH the book away.
Posted via Mobile Device

irishjayhawk
06-08-2010, 09:20 PM
The Children of Men

One of my favorite all-time movies.

irishjayhawk
06-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

[flame bait] Fight Club sucked* [/flame bait]

*Yes, I really do think that.

Delano
06-08-2010, 09:26 PM
[flame bait] Fight Club sucked* [/flame bait]

*Yes, I really do think that.

I tend to agree. My post was a jab at LAC's repost.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saul Good
06-08-2010, 09:48 PM
hmmmm......MAYBE the original 'willie wonka and the chocolate factory,' insofar as the book was rather short and gene wilder was brilliant.

gone with the wind, both are about equal (I'd give a slight nod to the book, but it's damned close).

it's been a while, but forrest gump the book wasn't quite as good as the movie (they did a great job with that movie).

you're right, there aren't many. and the three I've listed have been reaches, I could go either way on them depending on when you ask me.

I was going to say Forrest Gump. That book was pretty crappy, actually.

KCChiefsMan
06-08-2010, 09:58 PM
The Bourne Identity

honeydanny84
06-08-2010, 10:00 PM
I preferred the film versions of Outbreak and Creator to the novels.

Jenson, spot-on about the Godfather (I and II).

outbreak is nice

Tombstone RJ
06-08-2010, 10:09 PM
What did Ellis have to do with the film?
Posted via Mobile Device

Bret Eastan Ellis wrote Less Than Zero, the book. He sold the rights to make the movie which is irony in and of itself. Not sure how much more clear I can be on this whole thing...

OnTheWarpath58
06-08-2010, 11:50 PM

I think that's why it could go either way for me, if that makes any sense.

irishjayhawk
06-09-2010, 05:55 AM

That's what I thought of the new I Am Legend.

blaise
06-09-2010, 07:11 AM
The Natural. /end thread

I don't think so. The tone of each is so different though, that I enjoy each for different reasons. I just think the book is better.

Cheater5
06-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Papillon with Steve McQueen- but not by much. Book was terriffic, but that is one of those movies that whenever it's on, I'm sucked into watching it.

Amnorix
06-09-2010, 07:24 AM
Shawshank Redemption.

This is the one I instantly thought of.

blaise
06-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Jurassic Park

Hydrae
The Bourne Identity

Hell no! The movie was good but doesn't touch the book, IMO. Same for the rest of the series for that matter.

InChiefsHell
SHawshank the book was great. I thought they did a good job with the movie, except the whole making Red the Irish guy into a black guy, really ignoring the whole progression of the posters, and some other details.

Green Mile was really well done, very close to the book.

But any other Stephen King movie sucks compared to the books. Period.

LOTR...hate to say it, but I read the books and the movies are way more enjoyable and clear...the books were interesting if not a bit daunting. And, many of the liberties in the movie (like the whole relationship with the elf chick) were in the appendix at the back of the third book. Also I guess much was taken from The Silmarilian, which I tried to pick up and became exhausted after about 20 pages.

Looking forward to the Hobbit, a much simpler story that they really shouldn't screw up...

tyton75
06-09-2010, 07:41 AM
Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure.. the book was terrible

Delano
06-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Bret Eastan Ellis wrote Less Than Zero, the book. He sold the rights to make the movie which is irony in and of itself. Not sure how much more clear I can be on this whole thing...

Right. He did receive money for the movie rights, but I just wanted to be sure he wasn't behind the scenes directing the movie or something. Ellis probably received money for American Psycho 2 as well. As a writer, I'm sure you have to take money wherever you can get it.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz
06-09-2010, 10:08 AM
I don't think so. The tone of each is so different though, that I enjoy each for different reasons. I just think the book is better.

Negative. It's all about the ending.

blaise
06-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Negative. It's all about the ending.

That's one of the reasons I like both. I like the ending of the book, but it also makes me appreciate the ending of the film.

KCChiefsMan
06-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Hell no! The movie was good but doesn't touch the book, IMO. Same for the rest of the series for that matter.

it could go either way I guess.

KCChiefsMan
06-09-2010, 10:58 AM
you could say No Country for Old Men too. It was 99.99% true to the book and the movie was phenomenal.

tooge
06-09-2010, 11:57 AM
The two that stand out for movie better than book for me are

1. One flew over the cookoos nest
2. The Shining

InChiefsHell
06-09-2010, 12:08 PM
The two that stand out for movie better than book for me are

1. One flew over the cookoos nest
2. The Shining

The Shining? Holy crap man...the only thing good about the movie was Nicholsen...

Frankie
06-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Name A Movie that Is better than the book.
The Godfather is widely considered better than the book.

Frankie
06-09-2010, 01:28 PM
The Godfather

Great minds.... ;)

Frankie
06-09-2010, 01:32 PM
As great as The Exorcist was, IMO, it just sits a bit short of the book. It would have equaled or even surpassed the book if they would include the sub-plot dealing with the German (Austrian?) servant.

KCChiefsMan
06-09-2010, 01:40 PM
The Shining? Holy crap man...the only thing good about the movie was Nicholsen...

and almost everything else about it.

ClevelandBronco
06-09-2010, 01:44 PM
The Godfather

100%.