PDA

View Full Version : Life Filing a Renters Insurance Claim

Mr. Flopnuts
06-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Anyone have any experience with this? I'm expecting them to try and bend me over, so I'm already gearing up for battle. My claim isn't that big, so am I crazy to think that they may just cut a check? I'd love for this to be quick and painless, but my experience with insurance company's is that it's never that easy. Anyone ever gone through this before?

LetsSignRussell
06-07-2010, 11:39 PM
can't help ya

alnorth
06-07-2010, 11:58 PM
Really depends on the claim. If your $5,000 plasma TV mysteriously disappeared while you were on vacation, you should expect a bigger fight than if your apartment burned down with no obvious arson.

It also depends on the insurance company. The less expensive insurance companies tend to fight harder, while the more expensive companies tend to pay claims more easily. (Thats no guarantee though, some companies are total bastards, expensive, and a pain in the butt when you need them)

T-post Tom
06-08-2010, 01:04 AM
Anyone have any experience with this? I'm expecting them to try and bend me over, so I'm already gearing up for battle. My claim isn't that big, so am I crazy to think that they may just cut a check? I'd love for this to be quick and painless, but my experience with insurance company's is that it's never that easy. Anyone ever gone through this before?

"Never try to bend over anyone that goes by 'Flopnuts'".
~~~~~quote from All I Really Need To Know I Learned in Kindergarten

Kerberos
06-08-2010, 03:46 AM
If you have pictures and/or documented lists of your stuff to include model and serial #'s of your electronics and things stolen along with your police report of theft it might go a long way.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-08-2010, 10:55 AM
If you have pictures and/or documented lists of your stuff to include model and serial #'s of your electronics and things stolen along with your police report of theft it might go a long way.

Yeah, I don't. That's my concern. However I'm hoping that the fact I'm claiming about half of my limit will go a long ways as well. I'm definitely not trying to take these guys to the cleaners, but I want to be compensated for my stuff as well.

Demonpenz
06-08-2010, 11:12 AM
should be ok the first time. the second and third hmmmm

Mr. Flopnuts
06-08-2010, 11:25 AM
should be ok the first time. the second and third hmmmm

This may sound ridiculous but I'm scared that by not trying to fuck them, I'm going to end up getting fucked. I don't trust insurance companies at all.

TJR1486
06-08-2010, 11:30 AM
This may sound ridiculous but I'm scared that by not trying to **** them, I'm going to end up getting ****ed. I don't trust insurance companies at all.

I work for Farmers insurance and deal with homeowners claims, what questions do you have?

Mr. Flopnuts
06-08-2010, 11:36 AM
I work for Farmers insurance and deal with homeowners claims, what questions do you have?

I've never filed a rentals insurance claim before. It's already been a couple of weeks since the incident, and I'm going to be mailing my claim forms back in today. I'm trying to get an idea of how long this process is going to take as I'd really like to get some of my stuff replaced. Patience is fine, but some of the critical stuff I need like a new computer and what not.

I'm also trying to get some insight as to what they're going to try as far as depreciation goes and what not. Not only that but I had a lock box type safe that contained the majority of my receipts and proof of ownership, and we don't really take pictures. Some of my big purchases were made at Best Buy so I can get receipts for those luckily. How much of a fight am I going to have there? I had 2 family heirlooms that were taken and those are near impossible to prove. The diamond necklace my grandmother left me for my wife is 70 years old, and not only is my grandma gone, but my mom is too. How do you prove that?

My limit is 15,280 for property replacement, and my total retail claim is under 10k. How much do you guys usually try and knock off for depreciation and age? I don't go through Farmer's so I know it may vary, but I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

Thanks for responding, and thanks for the answers in advance.

TJR1486
06-08-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm assuming that this was a theft claim? Also do you have a copy of your insurance policy? I can give you an explanation on the rest of the questions when I get off work. Alot of what happens depends on what you say when you talk to the adjuster.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-08-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm assuming that this was a theft claim? Also do you have a copy of your insurance policy? I can give you an explanation on the rest of the questions when I get off work. Alot of what happens depends on what you say when you talk to the adjuster.

It was a burglary. I don't have a copy of the policy. It was in the lockbox that was taken. I know there may be limits on certain items like jewelry, electronics, etc. All I know is that my adjuster told me I'm covered, but said very little else. My limit is 15,280 but my total retail value on the claim is under 10k.

I want to get this done as quickly and efficiently as possible. But I don't want to get bent over. I know depreciation is a reality, but at the same point I have no idea what their tactics are to try and get me to accept less than what they'll pay. To me there has to be a number for which they'll cut a check vs. going to court because of the cost of defending claims, the possibility of treble damages being assessed, etc.

Really I'm just trying to get some education that will give me the edge in negotiations. I'm really not trying to fuck these guys over, but I want fair compensation for a shitty experience that I would have much rather not had. And I know they want to pay as very little as possible.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to give me some insight on this. I'll check back tonight, as I don't want you to get in any trouble at work for talking about this. But again, Farmers isn't my insurance company. It's Liberty Mutual.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-21-2010, 10:18 PM
We're off to a fantastic start with good ole' Liberty Mutual. First off, I had to mail the claim forms in. No fax, no email, just dry ole' stick in the mouth snail mail.

So, I did that. Called my rep at the end of last week and left him a voice mail asking him to return my call to verify that he received the paperwork and see what was next. He never called back.

Tonight I get online to check the status and it shows closed. :cuss:

I've talked to a guy who works for Farmers that says he would've taken the claim over the phone and a check would've already been cut. It's been almost a month since my break in and the initial date I've filed a claim. That may or may not be a great deal of time for this type of thing, but it's ridiculous that I can not get a call back, then get online to be greeted by a closed claim with no correspondence. Do yourself a favor, stay the fuck away from Liberty Mutual for your insurance needs.

In the meantime, I'll be calling them first thing in the morning for an explanation. If it's not satisfactory my next call will be to an attorney to pursue their punk asses for treble damages. This is bullshit.

OnTheWarpath58
06-21-2010, 10:21 PM
We're off to a fantastic start with good ole' Liberty Mutual. First off, I had to mail the claim forms in. No fax, no email, just dry ole' stick in the mouth snail mail.

So, I did that. Called my rep at the end of last week and left him a voice mail asking him to return my call to verify that he received the paperwork and see what was next. He never called back.

Tonight I get online to check the status and it shows closed. :cuss:

I've talked to a guy who works for Farmers that says he would've taken the claim over the phone and a check would've already been cut. It's been almost a month since my break in and the initial date I've filed a claim. That may or may not be a great deal of time for this type of thing, but it's ridiculous that I can not get a call back, then get online to be greeted by a closed claim with no correspondence. Do yourself a favor, stay the fuck away from Liberty Mutual for your insurance needs.

In the meantime, I'll be calling them first thing in the morning for an explanation. If it's not satisfactory my next call will be to an attorney to pursue their punk asses for treble damages. This is bullshit.

I'd be shopping insurance companies if I were you.

Get this cleared up, then leave their ass.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-21-2010, 10:26 PM
I'd be shopping insurance companies if I were you.

Get this cleared up, then leave their ass.

Oh yeah. They cut a check, I cancel the policy and probably go straight to Farmers. Renters insurance isn't that expensive. Chances are I'll never ever need it again, but if I do, I want to know that I'm fucking covered and don't have to wait 6 fucking months to get paid on it.

luv
06-21-2010, 10:42 PM
PM DMAC

Baconeater
06-21-2010, 10:50 PM
I don't recall what company it was, but I was getting the runaround for months on a hail damage claim quite a few years ago. Someone suggested contacting the state insurance commission, so I did and the lady there got that shit straightened right the fuck up for me. The guy I finally went and picked the check up from didn't sound too happy about having to deal with them. Just something you may want to look into if you keep having problems.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-21-2010, 10:54 PM
I don't recall what company it was, but I was getting the runaround for months on a hail damage claim quite a few years ago. Someone suggested contacting the state insurance commission, so I did and the lady there got that shit straightened right the fuck up for me. The guy I finally went and picked the check up from didn't sound too happy about having to deal with them. Just something you may want to look into if you keep having problems.

I appreciate it. They assume people are stupid and don't know what the fuck they're doing, but honestly, IMO, they're already pushing the point with snail mail only claims for a case for treble damages. And the fact is if I even take them to court it's going to cost them more in legal fees defending it than it would to just cut the check. They may be rolling the dice on the wrong dude here. Or it may be one big misunderstanding and a check will be cut in the next 7-10 days.

MadMax
06-21-2010, 11:33 PM

Mike, when mt house burned down they cut me a check for the max amount within 2 months 25,000 I was happy.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Mike, when mt house burned down they cut me a check for the max amount within 2 months 25,000 I was happy.

I honestly haven't thought too much about it being almost a month. I just figured that the lack of a return phone call and then seeing closed at my status was not a good sign. Was it Liberty Mutual that you went through? I hope so man. Everything I've read online about them has me more antsy than I'd normally be. People have some scathing shit to say about these guys online and it's not exactly warming my heart.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Claim was closed because there is a check in the mail. I'm not happy with the amount, but ultimately it's a product of the policy and not the claims adjuster. I know I was bitching about the time lapsed last night, but considering that a check is in the mail, I'm pretty happy with the turn around on the time of incident and claim filed, to the time a check was issued. I'll also get more from them as I replace more of my items. Gotta love the replacement value policy in that regard.

Pestilence
06-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Claim was closed because there is a check in the mail. I'm not happy with the amount, but ultimately it's a product of the policy and not the claims adjuster. I know I was bitching about the time lapsed last night, but considering that a check is in the mail, I'm pretty happy with the turn around on the time of incident and claim filed, to the time a check was issued. I'll also get more from them as I replace more of my items. Gotta love the replacement value policy in that regard.

How much less than what you were asking did they cut it for? If you don't mind saying...

Mr. Flopnuts
06-22-2010, 01:21 PM
How much less than what you were asking did they cut it for? If you don't mind saying...

I don't mind. The guy who ripped us off, didn't take everything. Just everything he could carry. Our total claim was 10k. 5 of that was in jewelry and there is a specific claus in my policy that says they'll only pay up to $1000 for jewelry and AFAIK that doesn't include any replacement value whatsoever. Meaning the jewelry I replace, will not be reimbursed.

The other 5k was in electronics and they depreciated the shit out of it. They're paying about 1/3 of what I paid for that stuff, however I have full replacement value on it, meaning I buy new shit, send him a receipt, he cuts a check immediately for the difference between what they paid, and what I paid.

Initial check is just under 3100. I'm eligible to receive another 3400 in reimbursement which includes sales tax I'll have to pay. All in all, I'll get about 6500 back on a 10k claim. Honestly, I'm pretty happy with it, because I feel lucky to be insured at all. The policy is clear on the jewelry so I have nothing to complain about there.

I am however irritated that they're paying me about $6 a game on my PS3 games up front, and $400 on my $1300 laptop. Ultimately though, I go buy new shit, I get all that money back so it's a minor bitch.

And honestly, I didn't ask for shit. He just cut a check and that was that. It's up to me whether I cash it or not. I'm still negotiating for a little extra up front cash to go out and replace my shit. We'll see how it pans out.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Whew. I just talked to my insurance adjuster and had everything spelled out for me. I'm just relieved to know that they want me to be happy with the process rather than trying to squeeze every last penny they can out of me. Check is on the way, he told me to go ahead and cash it and my claim would remain open for further review on items, and replacement values. In no way does cashing that check release their liability to the claim, it's just the amount they concede up front that they owe me. The rest is still up for negotiation. I really had no idea how any of this worked, but he just put my mind at ease.

JohninGpt
06-22-2010, 02:28 PM

I lost my house in Biloxi in Hurricane Katrina. I had USAA renters insurance and was paid the max amount in less than two months. I'm glad I didn't buy a house there, homeowners had a lot more difficulties than I did.

bobbymitch
06-22-2010, 02:30 PM
I am glad to see that, at least, you got some upfront money.

A number of years ago, my wife talked me into going to see about switching our homeowners to an agent who was an old high school buddy. When we walked in he was talking to a customer who had his house robbed. The jest of the conversation was that all the customer had to do was to buy replacement stuff and present the receipts for reimbursement. The customer didn't have the cash, so the agent said, put it on a credit card. Well, he didn't have one. He was pretty much screwed until he could afford to buy what he lost.

Needless to say, we didn't switch.

And I'll second contacting the state insurance commission if one has any issues with an insurance company.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-22-2010, 03:09 PM

A number of years ago, my wife talked me into going to see about switching our homeowners to an agent who was an old high school buddy. When we walked in he was talking to a customer who had his house robbed. The jest of the conversation was that all the customer had to do was to buy replacement stuff and present the receipts for reimbursement. The customer didn't have the cash, so the agent said, put it on a credit card. Well, he didn't have one. He was pretty much screwed until he could afford to buy what he lost.

And I'll second contacting the state insurance commission if one has any issues with an insurance company.

:eek: Brutal. I would sue a company over that. I am relieved to know that I'm getting some money to buy stuff, will get a check, and can rinse and repeat that as long as necessary to recoup my money.

We bought the essentials already (heh, a laptop and a PS3) but I've been holding out for the cash for anything else. I don't want to pay interest on repurchasing my shit.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-22-2010, 05:22 PM
The initial payment was in my mailbox today, and I've been assured the follow up payments will arrive less than 7 days after receipts are submitted. Overall, I jumped the gun a little on this (rightfully so considering the circumstances) but have nothing poor to say about Liberty Mutual. They got me paid inside 30 days of filing my claim, and that was with their snail mail only submission process. I don't have much experience with this type of thing, but I'm pretty happy with that.

BWillie
06-22-2010, 11:58 PM

Uh....pretty much all base policies are written under contents w/ actual cash value and then recoverable depreciation. So when you actually buy the item, you get your depreciation back. That is how insurance works. It helps reduce fraud. I don't see what the problem is. It's f*cking spelled out on your policy. When they send you a copy of your policy, you might want to read it. It's pretty important.

And in the above referenced situation, the dude probably had really, really old sh*t and got a low ACV value. I really can't foresee an issue where your crap will be worthless or $0 ACV. I can tell you that if my house ever had a severe loss by a covered peril I could screw the insurance company sideways on contents. Most people do. It sucks for the insurance company, good for you.

And people file DOI (Department of Insurance) complaints on me all the time. I've never had one justified in five years. If your adjuster is an idiot and not doing his job correctly, he may get a justified one, but that is few and far between. And if you get two at my company, your ass is fired. I could careless if people file DOI complaints on me, because I handle my shit. Pretty much every claimant and insured thinks that they are getting screwed, when 99% of the time they aren't. It's pretty comically really.

BWillie
06-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Oh yeah, if your house is ever unlivable and you get to utilize your ALE (Add'l Living Expenses). They will probably ask you how often you eat out as opposed to at home. For some reason people think they are trying to pull a fast one over the insurance company and they'll lie and say every single meal they eat out. Well, it's actually the opposite and if you answer that way you are screwing over yourself. Tell them you have never, ever, ever eaten out and you ALWAYS eat at home.

Because if you always eat out to eat in the first place, it doesn't matter if your house is uninhabited, because you don't have food in your cupboards and you eat out all the time anyway. You wouldn't really be incurring an add'l living expense.

bobbymitch
06-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Uh....pretty much all base policies are written under contents w/ actual cash value and then recoverable depreciation. So when you actually buy the item, you get your depreciation back. That is how insurance works. It helps reduce fraud. I don't see what the problem is. It's f*cking spelled out on your policy. When they send you a copy of your policy, you might want to read it. It's pretty important.

And in the above referenced situation, the dude probably had really, really old sh*t and got a low ACV value. I really can't foresee an issue where your crap will be worthless or $0 ACV. I can tell you that if my house ever had a severe loss by a covered peril I could screw the insurance company sideways on contents. Most people do. It sucks for the insurance company, good for you.

And people file DOI (Department of Insurance) complaints on me all the time. I've never had one justified in five years. If your adjuster is an idiot and not doing his job correctly, he may get a justified one, but that is few and far between. And if you get two at my company, your ass is fired. I could careless if people file DOI complaints on me, because I handle my shit. Pretty much every claimant and insured thinks that they are getting screwed, when 99% of the time they aren't. It's pretty comically really.

True, but the policy (at least the ones that I have dealt with), does not necessarily have the details of getting a partial up-front payment for a loss. This is pretty much left up to the insurance company internal claim policies. In the above case, the guy really didn't have any spare $$. Living from check to check hurt this guy from recovering from his covered loss.

The agent was (maybe still is) an upfront guy. We did review his company's loss reimbursement policy and yes, they would pay up to the policy limits, but you have to buy everything first. No such thing as an "advance."

One reason why I like and recommend buying insurance through an agent. I want someone who will be able to answer my "What ifs" and be on my side.

Sad to say, I am sure not too many people actually sit down and read their insurance contract.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-23-2010, 10:16 AM
True, but the policy (at least the ones that I have dealt with), does not necessarily have the details of getting a partial up-front payment for a loss. This is pretty much left up to the insurance company internal claim policies. In the above case, the guy really didn't have any spare $$. Living from check to check hurt this guy from recovering from his covered loss.

The agent was (maybe still is) an upfront guy. We did review his company's loss reimbursement policy and yes, they would pay up to the policy limits, but you have to buy everything first. No such thing as an "advance."

One reason why I like and recommend buying insurance through an agent. I want someone who will be able to answer my "What ifs" and be on my side.

Sad to say, I am sure not too many people actually sit down and read their insurance contract.

I didn't. The only reason we were covered is because my apartments required it for damage to the unit from a fire, etc. I sure am glad I've been paying those few bucks a month now.

My policy called for depreciated value, with replacement value added on when items were actually replaced. That makes it easier, and let's me avoid borrowing money to replace stuff.

I'm very happy with Liberty Mutual and certainly don't think I got fucked getting about half of my money back on an incident that I normally wouldn't have had myself covered for. Also, considering I've paid a total of about $200 in the last 15 months to these guys, I'm sure not feeling like a loser. Well, outside of being the unlucky fuck that had my door busted open and my shit stolen from me.

What has been the biggest surprise is just how many people have told me I'm a dumbass for not gaming the insurance company and claiming up to my max on my policy. I was downright shocked at some of the people in my life who encouraged me to be a thief.

Pestilence
06-23-2010, 10:23 AM
I didn't. The only reason we were covered is because my apartments required it for damage to the unit from a fire, etc. I sure am glad I've been paying those few bucks a month now.

My policy called for depreciated value, with replacement value added on when items were actually replaced. That makes it easier, and let's me avoid borrowing money to replace stuff.

I'm very happy with Liberty Mutual and certainly don't think I got fucked getting about half of my money back on an incident that I normally wouldn't have had myself covered for. Also, considering I've paid a total of about $200 in the last 15 months to these guys, I'm sure not feeling like a loser. Well, outside of being the unlucky fuck that had my door busted open and my shit stolen from me.

What has been the biggest surprise is just how many people have told me I'm a dumbass for not gaming the insurance company and claiming up to my max on my policy. I was downright shocked at some of the people in my life who encouraged me to be a thief.

The old apartments that I used to live in required the same thing. I thought it was stupid at the time but there's no way I'm not having it now. The wife actually has her own renter's insurance policy under her insurance and I have mine.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-23-2010, 10:29 AM
The old apartments that I used to live in required the same thing. I thought it was stupid at the time but there's no way I'm not having it now. The wife actually has her own renter's insurance policy under her insurance and I have mine.

I literally told them I'd consider it a part of the rent in my evaluation process of where we were going to move. They actually cut our rent quote by $25 a month when I told them that. So it's almost like I've been paid to have it because it doesn't cost us that much. Not nearly.

I'm just thankful they require it, because I probably wouldn't have had it if they didn't. I'll never not have it again even though us being burglarized again is probably around the same odds of being struck by lightning. Twice.

BossChief
06-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Its cool that this didn't get ugly.

BWillie
06-23-2010, 11:50 AM

Most insurance agents are the absolute worst people to ask about interpreting your policy. They usually think they know, and they don't. I'd call and talk to a claims supervisor or someone at your insurance companies service center if you have a question about it.