PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Ride along with Mitch...

donkhater
06-08-2010, 08:17 AM
If you are a fan of Christie (sp?) in New Jersey, you'll like Mitch Daniels. Here is a good, albeit long, article about him:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/ride-along-mitch

One of the best quotes:

“Never take a dollar from a free citizen through the coercion of taxation without a very legitimate purpose,” he said in an interview last year. “We have a solemn duty to spend that dollar as carefully as possible, because when we took it we diminished that person’s freedom.”

An excerpt towards the end of the article:

As our dinner wound down—I insisted on paying the bill, he offered to split it—he said he was going to give a commencement address the coming weekend, at Franklin College, south of Indianapolis. It had been inspired partly by the theme of “public service” struck by Obama’s recent commencement addresses, in which the president discouraged the pursuit of mere material gain in favor of nonprofit and government work.

“That strikes me as exactly the wrong message to send to young people,” Daniels said. “He’s got it completely wrong. Government service—nonprofits—all that’s fine and necessary. But the host can only stand so many parasites.”

He stopped himself and glanced at my open notebook.

“Maybe that’s too harsh,” he went on. “But someone’s got to say to these kids, There’s nothing wrong with going into business. It’s not selfish. It’s good. Build a business, create jobs for people, create wealth for people. It helps people. And that’s what we’re supposed to do, isn’t it.”

BigChiefFan
06-08-2010, 08:58 AM
I can endorse that quote. Sounds like somebody with at least some common sense.