PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: OTA #11 Report

Tribal Warfare
06-08-2010, 02:00 PM
OTA #11 Report (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/ota-11-report.html)
June 8, 2010 - Bob Gretz

From the Truman Sports Complex

The constant evaluation process continued for the Chiefs on Tuesday with OTA practice No. 11.

Going into the session, head coach Todd Haley was interested in seeing whether his offense, particularly the passing game, could bounce back from a bad day on Monday. And he was interested in finding out whether his defense could come back with another strong effort like the day before.

Both questions got answered in the affirmative during the 90-minute session that went down indoors after the practice facility was hit with heavy rain and wind Tuesday morning.

“I was interested to see how both sides would respond,” Haley said. “The offense showed some signs of life and bounced back and the defense was able to build on what they did yesterday. It was a good day.”

QB Matt Cassel threw the ball much better in this practice. After completing 50 percent of his throws on Monday, Cassel hit 16 of 21 in the 7-on-7 drill and teamwork. He ran into some problems in the two-minute drill, when he hit just one of four throws.

“There’s a lot of different stuff going on out there,” Cassel said. “The defense is putting in new schemes and we are trying new stuff. Yesterday the defense had a better day than we did and today, we just came out and we executed better.”

The defense stepped up big in the two-minute drill as Cassel and Tyler Palko each got a series. Cassel’s throw into the end zone on a fourth down play ended the first attempt and then Palko’s second throw was picked off by CB Mike Richardson, ending the drill.

Earlier in the workout, Cassel and rookie WR Dexter McCluster connected on a long pass down the middle of the field. McCluster made a nice catch over his head on what was a nice throw by Cassel that dropped right in between coverage from CB Javier Arenas, S Eric Berry and S Kendrick Lewis.

“Dexter has done a great job so far,” said Cassel. “He’s come in and worked hard. He’s obviously an exceptional athlete, with wonderful physical characteristics that we like. He had a lot of success in college and hopefully there’s a transition for us this year.”

Observations from the workout:

There were 86 players on the field, as S DaJuan Morgan returned after missing Monday’s work to take care of personal business. Again only unsigned restricted free agent S Jarrad Page was missing.

QB Brodie Croyle continues to be an observer with that injured right index finger, but again he did some light tossing on the sidelines so it appears that he’s working his way back.

The same cast of players watched the workout while rehabbing: RB Jamaal Charles, CB Brandon Flowers, TE Brad Cottam, WR Quinten Lawrence and WR Lance Long. WR David Grimes got back into the practice work, coming off his hamstring injury.

ILBs Derrick Johnson and Jovan Belcher along with S Kendrick Lewis continued to work with the No. 1 defense.

The Chiefs offense spent a lot of their snaps in a one-back, three wide receiver alignment, with McCluster working the slot. It seemed like some 60 to 70 percent of the plays came out of that set.

The No. 2 offensive line on Tuesday was LT Barry Richardson, RB Ikechuku Ndukwe, C Casey Wiegmann, RG Jon Asamoah and RT Colin Brown.

There was a lot of defensive line shuffling throughout the practice and Shaun Smith got some time with the first unit at nose tackle.

With two practices each on Friday and Saturday in this weekend’s mini-camp, Haley has cut back on some of the running the team does in hopes of having some fresher legs for the two-a-day sessions.

OLB Mike Vrabel works at OLB on the first nickel defense and is now working at inside linebacker on the second nickel, replacing Corey Mays.

Berry had a shot at an interception on a deep throw from Cassel to WR Dwayne Bowe but his arms weren’t long enough.

Bowe had a good day and certainly tormented CB Maurice Leggett who he beat on several plays, including one TD throw.

WR Chris Chambers made a very nice catch in the corner of the end zone on one play and came back and dropped a throw on the next play.

RB Kolby Smith made a very nice one-handed catch in the red zone.

Count Zarth
06-08-2010, 02:02 PM
RB Ikechuku Ndukwe

Damn, short-yardage back?

brorth
06-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Damn, short-yardage back?

Freshman phenom Dexter McCluster lined up at LG early.

Fish
06-08-2010, 02:14 PM
I'd like to see Cassel show some consistency at some point. We've been hearing "good day / bad day" the entire offseason. I'd love to see some better consistency before shit gets real and defenders aren't playin patty cake...

munkey
06-08-2010, 02:23 PM
QB Brodie Croyle continues to be an observer with that injured right index finger, but again he did some light tossing on the sidelines so it appears that he’s working his way back.

Can we just get rid of him already....sheesh..

InChiefsHell
06-08-2010, 02:25 PM
I'd like to see Cassel show some consistency at some point. We've been hearing "good day / bad day" the entire offseason. I'd love to see some better consistency before shit gets real and defenders aren't playin patty cake...

Meh. It doesn't mean shit until we see him in real game action. At the very least at spring camp, when they are truly installing the scheme.

dirk digler
06-08-2010, 02:28 PM
I know it is still really really early but we may have the steal of the draft in McCluster

Steron
06-08-2010, 02:32 PM

Can we just get rid of him already....sheesh..

It's been commented ad nauseam that Croyle is the most talented QB on the roster. Many QBs hit their hands/fingers on helmets while following through on a throw. If he had to play I imagine he'd be in there. I don't think it makes much sense to get rid of him at this point.

Coogs
06-08-2010, 02:53 PM
The Chiefs offense spent a lot of their snaps in a one-back, three wide receiver alignment, with McCluster working the slot. It seemed like some 60 to 70 percent of the plays came out of that set.

The No. 2 offensive line on Tuesday was LT Barry Richardson, RB Ikechuku Ndukwe, C Casey Wiegmann, RG Jon Asamoah and RT Colin Brown.

These two things were interesting to me. Like the 3 WR set. And noticed Brown was back at RT with Richardson at LT.

Just seems like there is a real definate plan unfolding this year... which was not apparent at times last season.

DA_T_84
06-08-2010, 03:04 PM
It seems like people talk about McCluster as much or more than Berry thus far. That's pretty damn exciting considering we got him in the 2nd round.

If everyone wants to stroke him off so bad after the fact, why wouldn't someone take him earlier?

That whole big-play home-run type of talent has to be valued up there, regardless of some of the size concerns.

-King-
06-08-2010, 03:07 PM
It seems like people talk about McCluster as much or more than Berry thus far. That's pretty damn exciting considering we got him in the 3rd round.

If everyone wants to stroke him off so bad after the fact, why wouldn't someone take him earlier?

That whole big-play home-run type of talent has to be valued up there, regardless of some of the size concerns.

McCluster was our 2A pick...
Posted via Mobile Device

DA_T_84
06-08-2010, 03:13 PM
McCluster was our 2A pick...
Posted via Mobile Device

Up-diddley-doodle-dated, neighbor!

Silly mistake. I was daydreaming about him and Charles; and then I switched their draft spots in my brain-muh-muh-movie.

Woodrow Call
06-08-2010, 03:15 PM
It seems like people talk about McCluster as much or more than Berry thus far. That's pretty damn exciting considering we got him in the 2nd round.

Some more McCluster love....

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/

Brian Waters Says Dexter McCluster May Be The Fastest Teammate He's Ever Had
by Joel Thorman on Jun 8, 2010 3:53 PM CDT in 2010 Kansas City Chiefs Season 9 comments

The longest tenured Chief has seen some speedsters in his day. Brian Waters talked with the media this afternoon about some of the faster players he's been around.

Dante Hall's name came up.

"I've seen Dante Hall do some things in a short space that a lot of people aren't able to do."

So did Jamaal Charles.

"I've seen Jamaal be able to break away and make some cuts."

What about Dexter McCluster?

"He's fast," Waters said. "I mean, really, You can see why he was such an explosive player and why they took him so high. As football speed, he's right up there," Waters told me and a group of assembled media.

"He's right up there with some of the fastest guys I've ever seen on the football field."

McCluster literally busted out of his shoes last week. (No, seriously. He broke his shoes. Who breaks shoes?). His biggest advantage -- like Dante Hall -- is that he's very small as well. Once he gets into the open field, it'll be tough to catch him.

Waters also said he and the offensive line are getting used to have some faster players on the team.

"It's going to be part of Charlie's job to figure out what we do best," Waters said. "We became a faster football team."

And that was the goal.

Omaha
06-08-2010, 03:17 PM
June 8, 2010 - Bob Gretz

I'd like to see a lot of this in 2010

sedated
06-08-2010, 03:22 PM

so the #1 overall pick always turns out to be the best player in the draft class?

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-08-2010, 04:37 PM
McCluster is going to make alot of people eat crow and look really foolish. We had people saying the guy was slow because of a bad 40 time. Anyone who saw a number of his games knew this was a crock of shit.

-King-
06-08-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm actually getting to be more excited about him than about Berry.
Posted via Mobile Device

mcaj22
06-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Thomas Jones used to be good out of the singleback formations before he joined the Jets and got behind Tony Richardson and that monster of a line. He can block, catch out of the backfield and doesn't need some crumb bum like Mike Cox screwing his vision up in front of him. He also has the size to be back there by himself.

I think he is going to help Cassel a lot in passing situations, we haven't had a good blocking back in years, plus he can be a terrific check down option. I hope we can do some serious damage out of that formation this year on 3rd down.

Mr. Laz
06-08-2010, 04:56 PM
I think a single back set or double tailback set is going to be our thing this year.

Mr. Laz
06-08-2010, 05:07 PM
McCluster is going to make alot of people eat crow and look really foolish. We had people saying the guy was slow because of a bad 40 time. Anyone who saw a number of his games knew this was a crock of shit.
whatever ... i didn't like our 2nd round and will continue to not like our 2nd round unless McCluster turns into "Desean Jackson".

as unfair as that is to McCluster that is how valuable the 2nd round of the draft was for us this year. Talent all over the fuggin place and we took Mighty Joe Smurf with our 2A pick.

Well Mighty Joe Smurf better gawd dam become Desean Jackson part deux or we screwed up.

Also Javier Arenas needs to be more than a return guy or we messed that pick up too. Arenas needs to be a viable nickle AND solid returner or we took him too high.

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-08-2010, 05:17 PM
whatever ... i didn't like our 2nd round and will continue to not like our 2nd round unless McCluster turns into "Desean Jackson".

as unfair as that is to McCluster that is how valuable the 2nd round of the draft was for us this year. Talent all over the fuggin place and we took Mighty Joe Smurf with our 2A pick.

Well Mighty Joe Smurf better gawd dam become Desean Jackson part deux or we screwed up.

Also Javier Arenas needs to be more than a return guy or we messed that pick up too. Arenas needs to be a viable nickle AND solid returner or we took him too high.

Well at least we've moved on to making lame cracks about how tall he is and the misinformed takes of his speed have come to a halt...Can't argue about the height, but I really don't give a shit if he rapes DB's and becomes a matchup nightmare in the slot with his versatility, excellent quickness, and ability to seperate.

mcaj22
06-08-2010, 05:28 PM
the longevity of the 2a pick is absolutely terrible, but McCluster can come in and play now, 6, 7, 8 years from now that might be a different story. He won't be able to hold up like a Thomas Jones or Chris Chambers and still be able to be consistently productive into his 30s. His big play ability and what makes him special is because of his youth. His prime is now. He doesn't even need to develop, just put him out there to the wolves and let the fans enjoy it while we can. Yea we could have taken some LBer or lineman there that could play for 10+ years but who cares, I want wins and from the looks of it there is a chance they plan on starting every player drafted this year except for Cameron Sheffield.

look at this way would rather have McCluster out there on the field or Dontrell Savage? Because that's the type of product we put on the field in 2009. So it's clearly an upgrade no matter how big or small, it's just not something that will set the franchise for the long run.

Mr. Laz
06-08-2010, 05:34 PM
look at this way would rather have McCluster out there on the field or Dontrell Savage? Because that's the type of product we put on the field in 2009. So it's clearly an upgrade no matter how big or small, it's just not something that will set the franchise for the long run.
no doubt that McCluster brings a weapon that we don't currently have ... but at what cost?

I hope he does well but imo he will have to become a complete and dangerous slot receiver to be worth the price.

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-08-2010, 05:35 PM
no doubt that McCluster brings a weapon that we don't currently have ... but at what cost?

I hope he does well but imo he will have to become a complete and dangerous slot receiver to be worth the price.

Those are my expectations. If he doesn't meet them, I will be very disappointed in the selection. Until then....

Mr. Laz
06-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Well at least we've moved on to making lame cracks about how tall he is and the misinformed takes of his speed have come to a halt...Can't argue about the height, but I really don't give a shit if he rapes DB's and becomes a matchup nightmare in the slot with his versatility, excellent quickness, and ability to seperate.
his height and size is VERY relevant

btw IF ... "he rapes DB's and becomes a matchup nightmare in the slot with his versatility, excellent quickness, and ability to seperate" ... then he more or less becomes Desean Jackson so i don't know what you're still crying about.

Fish
06-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Man I'm hoping like hell that McCluster can stick around and contribute for quite some time. But you've gotta admit that the odds are heavily against someone of that size lasting very long.

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-08-2010, 05:43 PM
his height and size is VERY relevant

btw IF ... "he rapes DB's and becomes a matchup nightmare in the slot with his versatility, excellent quickness, and ability to seperate" ... then he more or less becomes Desean Jackson so i don't know what you're still crying about.

ROFL I'm not the one acting like a jilted lover that they picked him over someone you had a schoolgirl crush on.

FAX
06-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Size matters, but so does speed. Like Lenny says, "Never drink tequila from a twenty dollar whore's navel unless you've checked for lint." Then he went on to say, "If you're even, he's leavin'."

It's difficult to tackle a blur. If everybody remembers the play and if McCluster can get separation and if Cassel can find him and if our protection holds up and if the RB can pick up the blitz and if the pass is on target and if the catch is made, it's touchdown time, baby.

FAX

Mr. Laz
06-08-2010, 05:47 PM
ROFL I'm not the one acting like a jilted lover that they picked him over someone you had a schoolgirl crush on.
you brought it up ... not anyone else
McCluster is going to make alot of people eat crow and look really foolish...

Pasta Giant Meatball
06-08-2010, 05:48 PM
you brought it up ... not anyone else

Fair enough, but I didn't mention names :) Just a big Dex fan is all.

Mr. Laz
06-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Fair enough, but I didn't mention names :) Just a big Dex fan is all.
good for you ... I hope he is Hall of fame material.

KCrockaholic
06-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Right now, personnel wise, this staff is making the same decisions that I would make, and that never happens. It's exciting that we are moving in the right direction.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Choking in the 2-minute. yay.

boogblaster
06-08-2010, 06:59 PM
McCluster is our slot reciever .. and till they hold him on the line of scrimmage he should be able to makes plays for us ....

aturnis
06-08-2010, 10:11 PM
McCluster is our slot reciever .. and till they hold him on the line of scrimmage he should be able to makes plays for us ....

I don't think this will be as big a problem as it would seem. For a small guy, he can get pretty damned physical. He can block too. Which out to help out the running game when he's in as a receiver.

KCrockaholic
06-08-2010, 10:41 PM
McCluster will have the leverage against opposing DB's unless Javier Arenas is covering him. He will be fine beating the jam against NFL DB's.

BIG K
06-08-2010, 10:44 PM
June 8, 2010 - Bob Gretz

From the Truman Sports Complex

The constant evaluation process continued for the Chiefs on Tuesday with OTA practice No. 11.

RB Ikechuku Ndukwe,
[/LIST]

Since when is Ndukwe a running back? :D

Fish
06-08-2010, 10:51 PM
McCluster will have the leverage against opposing DB's unless Javier Arenas is covering him. He will be fine beating the jam against NFL DB's.

:facepalm:

WTF? He'll be going against guys that outweigh him by at least 20lbs. Sometimes more. Seriously... you can't possibly tell me "He will be fine"......

Leverage? LMAO.....

His strength will be getting into the open field where no one can touch his skinny ass...

Chiefspants
06-09-2010, 01:10 AM
the longevity of the 2a pick is absolutely terrible, but McCluster can come in and play now, 6, 7, 8 years from now that might be a different story. He won't be able to hold up like a Thomas Jones or Chris Chambers and still be able to be consistently productive into his 30s. His big play ability and what makes him special is because of his youth. His prime is now. He doesn't even need to develop, just put him out there to the wolves and let the fans enjoy it while we can. Yea we could have taken some LBer or lineman there that could play for 10+ years but who cares, I want wins and from the looks of it there is a chance they plan on starting every player drafted this year except for Cameron Sheffield.

So, uh, does this mean that Wes Welker hasn't been productive in his thirties?

KCrockaholic
06-09-2010, 01:27 AM
You may want to delete your post asap.

Mecca
06-09-2010, 01:54 AM
Just to be fair every single teams reports from the best team to the worst teams OTA reports look exactly the same, if your guys don't look good in shorts and t-shirts they shouldn't even be in the league.

Mecca
06-09-2010, 01:56 AM
So, uh, does this mean that Wes Welker hasn't been productive in his thirties?

Seeing as he's not 30 yet I'd go with no.

salame
06-09-2010, 03:30 AM
Welker may be done anyone his knee was fucked up

Marcellus
06-09-2010, 06:15 AM
Size matters, but so does speed. Like Lenny says, "Never drink tequila from a twenty dollar whore's navel unless you've checked for lint." Then he went on to say, "If you're even, he's leavin'."

It's difficult to tackle a blur. If everybody remembers the play and if McCluster can get separation and if Cassel can find him and if our protection holds up and if the RB can pick up the blitz and if the pass is on target and if the catch is made, it's touchdown time, baby.

FAX

Well said.

KCrockaholic
06-09-2010, 06:40 AM
You may want to delete your post asap.

Seeing as he's not 30 yet I'd go with no.

Bam. Too late...