PDA

View Full Version : Electronics DirecTV Whole House DVR

The Bad Guy
06-08-2010, 08:42 PM
I just ordered this service tonight. They hook it up for 50 bucks, then it's 3 dollars a month.

If you don't have DVR's in every room, this might be something great for you.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/directv/technology/wholehome

aturnis
06-08-2010, 09:25 PM
OK. I don't get it. I'm looking at it for pricing, and it's asking me what receivers I want for each TV. Is there a minimum receiver required for the receiver to operate on the whole house DVR? Does my bedroom receiver have to be DVR? or can I use the whole house feature with a standard receiver in my bedroom?

The Bad Guy
06-08-2010, 09:33 PM
OK. I don't get it. I'm looking at it for pricing, and it's asking me what receivers I want for each TV. Is there a minimum receiver required for the receiver to operate on the whole house DVR? Does my bedroom receiver have to be DVR? or can I use the whole house feature with a standard receiver in my bedroom?

You have to have at least an HD DVR and a HD receiver for this to work.

They will upgrade your HD receiver for free to one that's compatible if it's an older model.

OnTheWarpath58
06-08-2010, 10:15 PM
I have a service tech coming out tomorrow between 8-12 for an unrelated issue, but if all goes as planned, I'll have the "whole house" plan by late afternoon.

I have an OLD HD Tivo unit (HR10-250) in my office that has been flaking out for about 3 months now. At least 3 times a week, I wake up, turn on the TV, only to find that the receiver has frozen up. So I unplug, wait 15 seconds, replug, and am up and running within 10 minutes or so.

Within the last month, it's been telling me that I don't have enough disk space to record shows when I make the request, even though I have a grand total of 13 hours of programming on it - the Chiefs/Cardinals game from 2006, a Travel Channel special on the hotel we spent our honeymoon and 1st anniversary at, and the final 9 episodes of The Sopranos.

We pay $6/mo for the "protection plan" and the unit is over 5 years old, so I'm fully expecting a replacement.

I have a HR20-250 downstairs hooked up to the plasma, and the hard drive is failing - at least that's what every AV Forum I've ever checked suggests. Live content is fine, but pause it, and all bets are off. At any moment while playing recorded/paused content, we're potentially subjected to pixelation, audio dropout, or both at the same time. So again, I'm expecting a replacement.

Once that happens, I can benefit from the "whole house" setup, as it doesn't work with the Tivo unit I have now.

Add to that the Directv2PC application, and I can have recorded content streamed directly to my computer.

If things don't go as planned, expect a epic rant thread. I've been a customer for 10 years, never had an issue, recommend DTV to anyone that asks about them, and pays them over $100/mo for their service. It's a customer service no-brainer - even if I didn't have the "protection plan."

The Bad Guy
06-08-2010, 10:25 PM
I have a service tech coming out tomorrow between 8-12 for an unrelated issue, but if all goes as planned, I'll have the "whole house" plan by late afternoon.

I have an OLD HD Tivo unit (HR10-250) in my office that has been flaking out for about 3 months now. At least 3 times a week, I wake up, turn on the TV, only to find that the receiver has frozen up. So I unplug, wait 15 seconds, replug, and am up and running within 10 minutes or so.

Within the last month, it's been telling me that I don't have enough disk space to record shows when I make the request, even though I have a grand total of 13 hours of programming on it - the Chiefs/Cardinals game from 2006, a Travel Channel special on the hotel we spent our honeymoon and 1st anniversary at, and the final 9 episodes of The Sopranos.

We pay $6/mo for the "protection plan" and the unit is over 5 years old, so I'm fully expecting a replacement.

I have a HR20-250 downstairs hooked up to the plasma, and the hard drive is failing - at least that's what every AV Forum I've ever checked suggests. Live content is fine, but pause it, and all bets are off. At any moment while playing recorded/paused content, we're potentially subjected to pixelation, audio dropout, or both at the same time. So again, I'm expecting a replacement.

Once that happens, I can benefit from the "whole house" setup, as it doesn't work with the Tivo unit I have now.

Add to that the Directv2PC application, and I can have recorded content streamed directly to my computer.

If things don't go as planned, expect a epic rant thread. I've been a customer for 10 years, never had an issue, recommend DTV to anyone that asks about them, and pays them over $100/mo for their service. It's a customer service no-brainer - even if I didn't have the "protection plan."

Are they bringing a replacement already, or are you going to ask for one with the installer there?

It's been my experience that the installer just won't have extras in his truck. Your best bet would be to call back, say cancel service at hte prompt and talk to someone in retention about getting those receivers replaced with HD DVR's.

OnTheWarpath58
06-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Are they bringing a replacement already, or are you going to ask for one with the installer there?

It's been my experience that the installer just won't have extras in his truck. Your best bet would be to call back, say cancel service at hte prompt and talk to someone in retention about getting those receivers replaced with HD DVR's.

No, I spent and hour on the phone with Tech Support on Friday and explained both issues, and told them I expect replacements if the problems can't be corrected by the tech.

Then, I called back Sunday night after I had to pause Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals to take a phone call I was expecting, only to get fucked by the majority of the playback being fucked.

She saw the notes from the Friday conversation, and confirmed that because of our issues, and because we have the protection plan, the installer will have new receivers on standby.

She said if the tech deemed it necessary, both will be replaced by HD-DVR+ units.

OnTheWarpath58
06-09-2010, 11:56 AM
That couldn't have been any easier, or gone any better.

Two brand-new HR24-500's.

Both hardlined to my router.

Can't wait to play around with all the new options, and I'll say this:

The speed increase changing channels or navigating the guide is ridiculous. Damn fast compared to the old equipment.

I don't know when your appointment is, Frank, but you're going to love this.

Another excellent customer service experience with DTV.

Pestilence
06-09-2010, 12:05 PM
So I've got a HD-DVR in our living room, a brand new HD receiver in our bedroom and a plain DVR in my daughters room. Am I going to have to pay to upgrade the plain DVR?

The Bad Guy
06-09-2010, 12:23 PM
So I've got a HD-DVR in our living room, a brand new HD receiver in our bedroom and a plain DVR in my daughters room. Am I going to have to pay to upgrade the plain DVR?

How long have you had it?

I would imagine if it's a recent DVR, you should be fine.

The Bad Guy
06-09-2010, 12:24 PM
That couldn't have been any easier, or gone any better.

Two brand-new HR24-500's.

Both hardlined to my router.

Can't wait to play around with all the new options, and I'll say this:

The speed increase changing channels or navigating the guide is ridiculous. Damn fast compared to the old equipment.

I don't know when your appointment is, Frank, but you're going to love this.

Another excellent customer service experience with DTV.

How did they hardline them? I have one HD DVR in my bedroom and another in the basement, where the router is. They are a good distance away so I don't want wires running everywhere.

Pestilence
06-09-2010, 12:29 PM
How long have you had it?

I would imagine if it's a recent DVR, you should be fine.

I've had it for around 3 months now. It's a brand new DVR.

Pestilence
06-09-2010, 12:30 PM
How did they hardline them? I have one HD DVR in my bedroom and another in the basement, where the router is. They are a good distance away so I don't want wires running everywhere.

Do they have to hardline them to the router?

The Bad Guy
06-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Do they have to hardline them to the router?

I know they have to hardline one. Hardlining 2 would be difficult considering it's on the other end of the house.

The Bad Guy
06-09-2010, 12:35 PM
I've had it for around 3 months now. It's a brand new DVR.

Then I imagine you won't have an issue.

KCwolf
06-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Is a phone line required for this "whole house" plan to work? If so, I'm screwed.