PDA

View Full Version : Nat'l Security Mexico anger as teenager shot dead by US border agent

pr_capone
06-09-2010, 10:00 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/us_and_canada/10271034.stm

Mexico has demanded a full inquiry after a Mexican teenager died after a US border patrol agent opened fire from the US side of the border.

The youth, believed to be 14 or 15, was found on the Mexican side under a bridge linking Ciudad Juarez with El Paso.

US authorities said the agent was defending himself and colleagues after they came under attack from people throwing stones and rocks.

The FBI is investigating the incident.

Mexican President Felipe Calderon condemned the shooting and called for the incident "to be thoroughly investigated and those responsible punished", his office said.

Those responsible should be punished? Fuck that. Give them a medal.

How about teaching the children of your country that it is generally a bad idea to throw rocks at a guy with a gun?

His mother denied reports he had been trying to cross the border.

"He was not going to cross to El Paso, it is not true, he was here in Mexico. They killed him in Mexico," she said.

A witness told Reuters TV that he saw half a dozen youths being chased back into Mexico after they had briefly crossed the dividing line under the Paso del Norte international bridge.

Ok, so they crossed and were chased back. Instead of regrouping and trying a different spot to cross they instead decide to hurl rocks at border patrol.

Bullets > Rocks

Shit, we don't need that kind of dumbassery here. We have enough of our own, thanks.

petegz28
06-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Noooooo...he wasn't there to cross the border. He just happened to be at the border throwing rocks harmlessly. The Border Patrol Agent happened to walk into the path of one of those innocently tossed rocks.

Bullets are indeed > rocks. But have you ever been hit with a rock? A rock upside the head could kill someone just as easy as a bullet, Mrs. Mexican Mother.

ClevelandBronco
06-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Okay. Mexican teenager found shot to death on the Mexican side of the border. U.S. agent presumed responsible.

He better have been shot on the U.S. side and crawled to the Mexican side, and there'd better be a reason other than a stick-and-stone attack.

pr_capone
06-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Okay. Mexican teenager found shot to death on the Mexican side of the border. U.S. agent presumed responsible.

He better have been shot on the U.S. side and crawled to the Mexican side, and there'd better be a reason other than a stick-and-stone attack.

Why does there have to be something more than a stick and stone attack and why did it have to be on the mexican side?

Like Pete said... rocks can cause just as much harm as bullets. Ask Goliath what a rock at the hands of a kid is capable of.

Iowanian
06-09-2010, 10:17 AM
They should really SHOW the US and just stay in their own country to teach us a lesson.

ClevelandBronco
06-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Why does there have to be something more than a stick and stone attack and why did it have to be on the mexican side?

Like Pete said... rocks can cause just as much harm as bullets. Ask Goliath what a rock at the hands of a kid is capable of.

Mexicans are kind of supposed to be plentiful on the Mexican side without border patrol bullet holes.

Donger
06-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Mexican President Felipe Calderon said Tuesday that his government "will use all resources available to protect the rights of Mexican migrants."

What "rights" are those, El Presidente?

pr_capone
06-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Mexicans are kind of supposed to be plentiful on the Mexican side without border patrol bullet holes.

Agreed... unless they start chucking stones at border patrol after getting chased back from the US side of the border. Then all bets are off.

petegz28
06-09-2010, 10:35 AM

I think the bullethole problem could be easily fixed if they didn't attack our Agents. Just a thought.

petegz28
06-09-2010, 10:36 AM
I'll tell you now, if I was a BPA and there were several people throwing rocks at me, my firearm will be discharged until I am safe or dead.

Donger
06-09-2010, 10:37 AM
I'll tell you now, if I was a BPA and there were several people throwing rocks at me, my firearm will be discharged until I am safe or dead.

Aren't you concerned about the rights of these migrants?

mlyonsd
06-09-2010, 10:43 AM
What am I missing here?

The kid was shot while standing in Mexico?

Yeah I kind of have a problem with that...unless he actually was firing a weapon.

blaise
06-09-2010, 10:56 AM

I'd say it depends on how close they are. If there's a bunch of people 10 feet from you throwing rocks at you, that's one thing. If they're 50 feet away and you can just back up I really don't see why you'd need to kill someone.

pr_capone
06-09-2010, 10:58 AM
What am I missing here?

Yeah I kind of have a problem with that...unless he actually was firing a weapon.

Erm... he was with a group of people throwing rocks at border patrol. Rocks are a weapon... just not one propelled by gun powder.

You gotta be a special kind of stupid to throw rocks at a guy with a gun.

mlyonsd
06-09-2010, 10:59 AM
I'd say it depends on how close they are. If there's a bunch of people 10 feet from you throwing rocks at you, that's one thing. If they're 50 feet away and you can just back up I really don't see why you'd need to kill someone.

That's where I am. Should probably send in Geraldo to investigate.

mlyonsd
06-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Erm... he was with a group of people throwing rocks at border patrol. Rocks are a weapon... just not one propelled by gun powder.

I agree but as the story is told you gotta be pretty stupid to shoot a kid standing in his own country if all he's doing is throwing rocks.

There's got to be more to it.

blaise
06-09-2010, 11:01 AM

If I was on trial for killing someone, and my defense was that he was throwing rocks, I wouldn't like my chances. Not unless I could show that I couldn't have gotten away from the situation. Use of lethal force is quite a jump from rock throwing. I'm sure there's situations where you could be justified in firing your gun, but I'd say you better have some good answers when they question you why.

RJ
06-09-2010, 11:05 AM
I'm thinking that proper discretion would dictate moving out of rock throwing distance rather than firing on the teenagers.

I'm also thinking that this is pure speculation on all our parts. We have no way of knowing how dangerous (or not) the situation was for the border patrol agent.

pr_capone
06-09-2010, 11:08 AM
If I was on trial for killing someone, and my defense was that he was throwing rocks, I wouldn't like my chances. Not unless I could show that I couldn't have gotten away from the situation. Use of lethal force is quite a jump from rock throwing. I'm sure there's situations where you could be justified in firing your gun, but I'd say you better have some good answers when they question you why.

Like I said before. Ask Goliath what damage can be done by a kid with a rock.

They should have been glad that all the more that happened was that they were chased back over the border as opposed to being arrested, processed, jailed, then sent back. No, they wanted to get their pound of flesh.

The only reason they would be throwing rocks is to injure one of the agents. There is no reason why a BPA should HAVE to get away from the situation. The agent was on his side of the border and was being attacked.

Justified.

*edit - assuming that the article has the facts straight.

blaise
06-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Like I said before. Ask Goliath what damage can be done by a kid with a rock.

They should have been glad that all the more that happened was that they were chased back over the border as opposed to being arrested, processed, jailed, then sent back. No, they wanted to get their pound of flesh.

The only reason they would be throwing rocks is to injure one of the agents. There is no reason why a BPA should HAVE to get away from the situation. The agent was on his side of the border and was being attacked.

Justified.

So if a kid is across the border throwing rocks from 50 feet away (I'm not saying that's what happened) and you're standing on your side, instead of walking backwards a little bit you just kill him. I really doubt many, if any, juries are going to see that as justified.

I'll edit as well- if the agent was surrounded by people throwing rocks at him, then I could understand firing your weapon. A lot, to me, depends on how close they were.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-09-2010, 11:19 AM
LOL I'm not justifying it, there isn't any AFAIC, but shouldn't Mexico be worrying about the cops, and politicians, and American politicians that are being kidnapped and executed there? They've got much bigger fish to fry.

pr_capone
06-09-2010, 11:22 AM
So if a kid is across the border throwing rocks from 50 feet away (I'm not saying that's what happened) and you're standing on your side, instead of walking backwards a little bit you just kill him. I really doubt many, if any, juries are going to see that as justified.

I'll edit as well- if the agent was surrounded by people throwing rocks at him, then I could understand firing your weapon. A lot, to me, depends on how close they were.

I understand your scenario. That said, I can guarantee you that it did not go like this:

Mexican kid: *chucks rock*

BPA: *BANG* *BANG* *BANG*

There were more than likely multiple warnings shouted in both English and Spanish that included the consequenses of their continued rock throwing.

We really are just guessing at the details ATM though... we should know more when that video is made public.

Donger
06-09-2010, 11:32 AM
On another note, think about how brazen these "migrants" are. "How dare you defend your border!" In Mexican, of course.

go bowe
06-09-2010, 12:23 PM
What am I missing here?

Yeah I kind of have a problem with that...unless he actually was firing a weapon.this...

alpha_omega
06-09-2010, 12:29 PM
I have a feeling there is more to this story.

ClevelandBronco
06-09-2010, 12:39 PM
I have a feeling there is more to this story.

There had better be. If this agent is tried in El Paso with no better defense than "They were throwing rocks," they'll hang him.

JonesCrusher
06-09-2010, 12:46 PM
"The subjects surrounded the agent and continued to throw rocks at him. The agent then fired his service weapon several times, striking one subject who later died," the FBI said.

From The same story, does this change anything

ClevelandBronco
06-09-2010, 12:53 PM
"The subjects surrounded the agent and continued to throw rocks at him. The agent then fired his service weapon several times, striking one subject who later died," the FBI said.

Does it change the fact that we're all just talking out of our asses at this point? I'd have to say, "No."

mlyonsd
06-09-2010, 12:55 PM

If the agent shot him while the guy was in US territory and part of a rock throwing mob I don't have a problem with it.

go bowe
06-09-2010, 01:02 PM
If the agent shot him while the guy was in US territory and part of a rock throwing mob I don't have a problem with it.i dunno...

a warning shot in the air followed by a shot close to one of teens may well have ended the incident without the need to use deadly force...

after all, these were not terrorists looking for martyrdom...

they would have run back across the border before getting shot once the agent had fired his weapon and demonstrated that he was in fact willing to use it...

RJ
06-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Of course it's entirely possible that the agent was trying to fire over their heads and fucked up.

blaise
06-09-2010, 01:05 PM
i dunno...

a warning shot in the air followed by a shot close to one of teens may well have ended the incident without the need to use deadly force...

they would have run back across the border before getting shot once the agent had fired his weapon and demonstrated that he was in fact willing to use it...

I'm not a fan of warning shots, though. It's going to land somewhere. Especially if you just shot it close to them. It's rocky ground and it can ricochet.

mlyonsd
06-09-2010, 01:06 PM
i dunno...

Depends on the circumstances. If they're on our side of the border and have an agent surrounded throwing rocks I have little pity for them.

Pestilence
06-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Hmm....I could give two shits about some 16 year old in Mexico. How about Mexico demand a full investigation into the deaths of Americans on American soil because of illegal immigrants.

Detoxing
06-09-2010, 01:10 PM

That changes things quite a bit. But how could the agent be surrounded if they were throwing rocks from the other side of the border?

pr_capone
06-09-2010, 01:12 PM
i dunno...

honestly, that is asking a lot of a guy who is surrounded and having rocks thrown at him

Or they would have mobbed him after the first warning shot and killed him.

That is a BIG assumption you are making that they would have just scurried after two warning shots. That said, hopefully the surviving members of this stoning learned a valuable lesson and stay the hell away from the border.

Detoxing
06-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Depends on the circumstances. If they're on our side of the border and have an agent surrounded throwing rocks I have little pity for them.

This.

But if they were on opposite sides of the border then there would be no reason to open fire when you can just step back.

But, if these kids were throwing rocks while attempting to advance on the border, I think opening gunfire would be acceptable in that situation as well.

Detoxing
06-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Once again, how was the agent surrounded when they were on opposite sides of the border?

blaise
06-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Once again, how was the agent surrounded when they were on opposite sides of the border?

I don't know if they were. Maybe he was shot in the US and went back across.

petegz28
06-09-2010, 01:26 PM

Just a guess here, kids surround BPA and start attacking him, BPA starts firing, kids run back and one gets struck by a bullet. And for all we know, he was shot on the US side of the border and made it to the other side of the bridge before he died.

Detoxing
06-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Ok, I read a few more articles on this situation and I think ima have to side with the agent on this one.

The agents were trying to detain two immigrants crossing illegally in US soil. While doing so, these kids were throwing rocks at the agents. Apparently, our 15 yr old "boy" is a known and wanted smuggler in El Paso. The officer fired back a few rounds, one striking the smuggler in the head. Mexican police then crossed the border and picked up an unidentified object and placed it near the body of the smuggler.

That object? The bullet shell most likely. The Mexicans are trying to make a case that the kid was killed in Mexico soil and that the agent crossed the border to kill him. Hence the reason why the shell was planted.

Unfortunantly for their plan: It's all on video. Apparently the video shows that the agent did not cross, and show mexican officers crossing the border, picking up an object and placing it next to the body.

Case closed IMO. Video doesn't lie.

Brock
06-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Mexican cops corrupt? no way

ROYC75
06-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Wonder if the current administration thinks we have a border patrol problem now with illegal immigrations. Sitting on their hands and talking about it is kinda like what got us to this point to start with.

RaiderH8r
06-09-2010, 01:54 PM
First, Darwin-1 Dead Guy-0

Second, I wonder what the response would be if a couple hudred Americans gathered at the border and just crossed into Mexico for a camping trip. Tents, fires, bbqs, beer, and American flags at full staff? I wonder if the Federalies would show up. I wonder if papers would be asked for? I wonder if Calderon would worry as much about their rights? I just wonder...

blaise
06-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Wonder if the current administration thinks we have a border patrol problem now with illegal immigrations. Sitting on their hands and talking about it is kinda like what got us to this point to start with.

What do you mean? They recognize there's a problem. The problem is obviously the racist laws of Arizona and the Obama administration is working on those as we speak.

RaiderH8r
06-09-2010, 01:56 PM
What do you mean? They recognize there's a problem. The problem is obviously the racist laws of Arizona and the Obama administration is working on those as we speak.

What about the AZ law is racist?

blaise
06-09-2010, 02:01 PM
What about the AZ law is racist?

It's returning this country to Jim Crow era. Pretty soon there will be drinking fountains for Mexicans and Americans there. Obama's checking into it and most of the democrats know it's racist. I know most say they never read it, but all you need to do is watch Keith Olbermann and he'll give you the scoop. And that scoop is that it's racist.

RaiderH8r
06-09-2010, 02:16 PM
It's returning this country to Jim Crow era. Pretty soon there will be drinking fountains for Mexicans and Americans there. Obama's checking into it and most of the democrats know it's racist. I know most say they never read it, but all you need to do is watch Keith Olbermann and he'll give you the scoop. And that scoop is that it's racist.

You're f'ing with me right? Olbermann as my "go to for the scoop" guy? He's a f'ing hack. He's worse, he's a shill too stupid to be a hack. I'm pretty sure when the MSDNC hand comes out of that sock puppet ass of his he gets tossed into the corner with the rest of the used jizz rags.

Seriously though, what about the AZ law specifically makes it racist? Olbermann is going to conflate the issue into something it is not.

Jim Crow era? That's a bullshit line. A sobriety checkpoint is more of an infringement on civil liberties than the AZ immigration law and I don't see Olbermann getting his ass in a knot about that. Let's see, which is a random search of one's person with the purpose of obtaining legal documentation and an attempt to investigate any measure of criminality when nothing had been done preceeding the stop to precipitate the investigation and which is simply to ask for legal documentation in the course of a lawful interaction after a detainment on a different criminal charge?

Brock
06-09-2010, 02:17 PM
:facepalm:

ROYC75
06-09-2010, 02:29 PM

The law is not racist, matter of fact, it's more leaner that the Federal Law that it was drafted after. The Federal Law is stricter than the Az law and allows for a higher chance of profiling as you want to make the Az law. Keep drinking that Kool Aid as the Fed's do nothing but talk about it. Oh, we will send down some desk jobs to help with the paperwork.

Like I said, sitting on their hands and doing nothing about it.

ROYC75
06-09-2010, 02:31 PM

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

:shake:

blaise
06-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Redneck
Arizonans
Cheating
Innocent
Suffering
Mexicans

dirk digler
06-09-2010, 02:38 PM
blaise is just fucking with you all.

And if the account that Detoxing posted is the truth then I have no problem with the shooting.

Donger
06-09-2010, 04:08 PM

Amen amigo. Amen.

BigChiefFan
06-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Calderon, we would also like ILLEGALS, thoroughly investigated and prosecuted to the fullest.

go bowe
06-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Just a guess here, kids surround BPA and start attacking him, BPA starts firing, kids run back and one gets struck by a bullet. And for all we know, he was shot on the US side of the border and made it to the other side of the bridge before he died.i dunno...

they say he was shot in the head, so i don't think he could have taken himself back across the border...

his friends might have dragged him back, but if it was me, i would have been running as fast as i could when the bpa started shooting...

KC native
06-09-2010, 09:23 PM
This could be an issue for that BP agent. I saw a picture of where it happened and provided it was given the proper context it looks bad for the agent. I haven't been able to find the pic again but it showed where the kid was. The body was well beyond the distance that a thrown rock would even have a chance to hit the border patrol agent. If the kid's body hadn't been moved and he was shot with a hand gun then it was a hell of a shot.

alanm
06-09-2010, 10:43 PM
They should really SHOW the US and just stay in their own country to teach us a lesson.By Gawd.. That'll teach us. :D

Cave Johnson
06-10-2010, 03:54 PM
One officer, ever, has been killed by a thrown rock. Doesn't really apply in this case, though, assuming the video is as Detox says.

Three in the United States, but none in almost seven decades. The National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund has gathered records on all police officers killed in the line of duty since the first U.S. patrolman went down in 1792. According to their database, rocks were responsible for three of 18,983 fatalities. In 1873, Officer Edward Burns of the New York Police Department was walking a suspect to headquarters when an unknown suspect ambushed him and fractured his skull with a rock. In 1876, inmates beat a Utah prison warden to death with a stone they had stuffed in a woolen sock. The last death came in 1942, when Sheriff Ralph Wald Haycraft of Leitchfield, Ky., received word of an assault on a group of soldiers. During his investigation, Haycraft was hit by a thrown rock and died three days later. In addition, seven officers have been killed by bricks, the last in 1932.

http://www.slate.com/id/2256457/

CoMoChief
06-10-2010, 04:06 PM
I just say if we catch illegals, then they aren't allowed to be protected by the rights of the US constitution, which means we should just torture the living shit out of them and send them back to Mexico.....use that as a deterrent, then those fuckers will think twice about sneaking over here.

vailpass
06-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Say what you will but it won't take very many incidents of shooting a rock thrower before the rock throwing stops.

go bowe
06-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Say what you will but it won't take very many incidents of shooting a rock thrower before the rock throwing stops.have you seen the video on communist news network?

it looked like the kids were already running back to mexico when the agent fired 3 carefully aimed shots...

it didn't look good for the agent at all...

as far as rock throwing, i worry that shooting them could escalate confrontations to the point that the rock throwers start shooting too...

Taco John
06-10-2010, 05:11 PM
WHoever murdered the kid should be charged and tried for murdering him.

ClevelandBronco
06-10-2010, 05:43 PM
WHoever murdered the kid should be charged and tried for murdering him.

Until we know more I'm much more comfortable with saying, "killed" the kid rather than "murdered" the kid. But it could be murder.

ClevelandBronco
06-10-2010, 05:49 PM
have you seen the video on communist news network?

it looked like the kids were already running back to mexico when the agent fired 3 carefully aimed shots...

as far as rock throwing, i worry that shooting them could escalate confrontations to the point that the rock throwers start shooting too...

If the kids were running back when the agent fired, then he's so far beyond fucked that he couldn't catch a bus back to fucked. That would be cold blooded murder in my estimation.

irishjayhawk
06-10-2010, 06:52 PM
I bowed out when I lol'd at "ask Goliath what damage can be done with a rock."

LOCOChief
06-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Mexican threw a rock at a BPA with a rifle, said mexican dead. Sounds about right and it sure as hell sends the right message.

orange
06-10-2010, 07:42 PM
<object width="480" height="297"><param name="movie" value="http://u.univision.com/contentroot/uol/art/systemimages/flash/ovp_player.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="flashvars" value="playerType=embed&amp;enableSkytide=true&amp;enableAnvato=true&amp;videoCID=2432212&amp;playlistChannelID=19733"></param><embed src="http://u.univision.com/contentroot/uol/art/systemimages/flash/ovp_player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="297" flashvars="playerType=embed&amp;enableSkytide=true&amp;enableAnvato=true&amp;videoCID=2432212&amp;playlistChannelID=19733"></embed></object>

LOCOChief
06-10-2010, 08:40 PM
<object width="480" height="297"><param name="movie" value="http://u.univision.com/contentroot/uol/art/systemimages/flash/ovp_player.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="flashvars" value="playerType=embed&amp;enableSkytide=true&amp;enableAnvato=true&amp;videoCID=2432212&amp;playlistChannelID=19733"></param><embed src="http://u.univision.com/contentroot/uol/art/systemimages/flash/ovp_player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="297" flashvars="playerType=embed&amp;enableSkytide=true&amp;enableAnvato=true&amp;videoCID=2432212&amp;playlistChannelID=19733"></embed></object>

I'm sorry I don't speak Mexican - Ron Burgundy 2002

vailpass
06-10-2010, 10:33 PM
have you seen the video on communist news network?

Good, let them start an all-out armed conflict with us. Even obama would be forced to send in the troops and mobilize forces all along our borders.

go bowe
06-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Good, let them start an all-out armed conflict with us. Even obama would be forced to send in the troops and mobilize forces all along our borders.are there enough troops in our entire military to cover the thousands of miles of border?

but it might be a blessing in disguise if troops were sent in and could be used against drug traffickers as well as deal with armed confrontations at the border crossing areas...

the drug wars in northern mexico are only going to get worse...

Taco John
06-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Until we know more I'm much more comfortable with saying, "killed" the kid rather than "murdered" the kid. But it could be murder.

Indeed. That question is what a trial is intended to determine in the first place. However, someone must be charged with murder to be tried for it. Instead what will happen is they will quote-unquote "investigate" the matter, and determine that blah blah blah blah blah and that will pass for a trial instead.

vailpass
06-11-2010, 06:48 PM
are there enough troops in our entire military to cover the thousands of miles of border?

but it might be a blessing in disguise if troops were sent in and could be used against drug traffickers as well as deal with armed confrontations at the border crossing areas...

the drug wars in northern mexico are only going to get worse...

Drug traffickers and armed instigators are mainly what I had in mind.

As to the others: UAVs, helos and fast movers can cover an awful lot of territory in a hurry. If we deterred illegal crossers with extreme prejudice the illegal crossing would curtail forthwith.

HonestChieffan
06-11-2010, 08:13 PM
15 year old was not just some kid....

FOX News — The 15-year-old Mexican boy who was shot dead by a Border Patrol agent as U.S. authorities came under attack along the border Tuesday was known to authorities as a juvenile smuggler, sources close to the investigation told Fox News.

Sergio Adrian Hernandez Huereka was shot once near the eye as U.S. Border Patrol agents on bicycles were “assaulted with rocks” as they tried to detain illegal immigrants on the Texas side of the Rio Grande.

Huereka was charged with alien smuggling in 2009, according to sources who requested anonymity. Further details were not immediately available.

“He is a known juvenile smuggler,” a source told Fox News. He was also on a “most wanted” list of juvenile smugglers compiled by U.S. authorities in the El Paso area, sources said.

Heureka’s death marked the second time a Mexican citizen has been killed by a U.S. Border Patrol agent in as many weeks, stoking tensions along the border between the nations.