PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Tom Izzo to the Cavs

Mr. Plow
06-09-2010, 01:30 PM
http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/?p=29584

Sources close to WFNY have informed us that Tom Izzo has told his players at Michigan State that he plans on taking the Cavaliers job. Our sources have heard directly from players on the MSU team that Izzo informed them this week that he is planning on making the move up to the NBA level under the ownership of MSU grad Dan Gilbert. We have also heard from a separate source that Izzo is holding off on announcing this until the end of the week, when his kids finish up school in the Lansing area. While Izzo could always change his mind, we are comfortable reporting that he has in fact informed his players at Michigan State that he will be taking the Cavaliers job.

ArrowheadHawk
06-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Well there goes Big 10 basketball.

ohiobronco2
06-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Well there goes Big 10 basketball.

Thad Matta is pretty good. :D But yes, the conference would be dealt a major blow if Izzo leaves. He's a really good coach.

ArrowheadHawk
06-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Doesn't exactly look like a reliable site.

Demonpenz
06-09-2010, 01:33 PM
fuck there goes my dream of izzo and lebron to brooklyn with jay-z

T to the izzo

Pants
06-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Watch those motherfuckers take Bill Self now. FUCK YOU, IZZO!

Mr. Plow
06-09-2010, 01:41 PM

No way.

cdirty
06-09-2010, 01:44 PM

fuck that. he wouldnt go.

Pants
06-09-2010, 01:49 PM
You're kidding yourself is you think Bill Self is going to coach a mid-major.

Mr. Plow
06-09-2010, 01:49 PM
http://twitter.com/pdcavsinsider

Opinions, speculation, rumors flying at moment. But no one I talk to believes Izzo has made a decision yet.

Mr. Arrowhead
06-09-2010, 01:52 PM
He better hope Lebron resigns, because his NBA coaching career could be very short.

KCChiefsMan
no freaking way

Mr. Plow
You're kidding yourself is you think Bill Self is going to coach a mid-major.

I think you're overreacting a bit, but I see your point. But I don't think MSU could lure him away when OSU came calling with a shit ton of money and he turned them down. There are some good posts about it over on phog if you can find them.

Mr. Laz
06-09-2010, 01:54 PM
i don't see how Lebron ever stays in Cleveland if Izzo becomes the Cavs coach. He's in a win now mode and hiring a college coach involves too much risk to make winning a championship probable.

KCChiefsMan
06-09-2010, 01:54 PM
I think you're overreacting a bit, but I see your point. But I don't think MSU could lure him away when OSU came calling with a shit ton of money and he turned them down. There are some good posts about it over on phog if you can find them.

I think OSU would have been the only other option for Self, just like UNC was Roy's only other option. Boone Pickens tried to throw a ton of money at him, but Bill Self stayed here and he's not going anywhere.

nychief
06-09-2010, 01:55 PM
unless Izzo is playing Power Forward, who gives a shit?

RockChalk
http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/?p=29584

Sources close to WFNY have informed us that Tom Izzo has told his players at Michigan State that he plans on taking the Cavaliers job. Our sources have heard directly from players on the MSU team that Izzo informed them this week that he is planning on making the move up to the NBA level under the ownership of MSU grad Dan Gilbert. We have also heard from a separate source that Izzo is holding off on announcing this until the end of the week, when his kids finish up school in the Lansing area. While Izzo could always change his mind, we are comfortable reporting that he has in fact informed his players at Michigan State that he will be taking the Cavaliers job.

Pass this along to KK.

He will report it in this way..."I have spoken to someone directly related to the Michigan State basketball program and they have confirmed to me that Tom Izzo is leaving for the head coaching position in Cleveland"

Pants

So you think Bill Self will stay as our coach if we end up joining the MWC?

Mr. Plow
06-09-2010, 01:57 PM

I won't say yes - but I won't say no. I will say, that he won't leave this year for MSU.

ArrowheadHawk
06-09-2010, 01:58 PM
So you think Bill Self will stay as our coach if we end up joining the MWC?http://ijsf.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/big-east-logo.gif

Mr. Plow
06-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Metro doesn't think the Big East is a possibility. While I'm not convinced it is, if this 16 team super conferences pans out, it's going to leave some BCS conferences looking for teams.

vailpass
I'll believe this when Izzo signs a contract with the Cavs and not a minute before.
Not saying it couldn't happen, just saying I'll wait to hear it directly from Izzo.

Pants
ArrowheadHawk, you need to take internet rumors for what they are. How many times of complete bullshit being reported on the internet is it going to take, brah?

Mr. Plow
06-09-2010, 02:01 PM
I'll believe this when Izzo signs a contract with the Cavs and not a minute before.
Not saying it couldn't happen, just saying I'll wait to hear it directly from Izzo.

I have a hard time actually seeing him leave what he has at MSU for the NBA, but $$$$ speaks pretty loudly.

Mr. Laz
Bill Self fits in perfectly with the Big East

his style of play ... his recruiting

Pants
Metro doesn't think the Big East is a possibility. While I'm not convinced it is, if this 16 team super conferences pans out, it's going to leave some BCS conferences looking for teams.

Dude, I would absolutely cream my fucking pants if we ended up joining the Big East, I just don't think it's going to happen.

DA_T_84
06-09-2010, 02:03 PM
I have a hard time actually seeing him leave what he has at MSU for the NBA, but $$$$ speaks pretty loudly.

So does holding up a trophy in June with Lebron, Bosh, and Wade.

kepp
06-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Watch those mother****ers take Bill Self now. **** YOU, IZZO!

And the college sports house of cards gets one level higher... Geez, imagine how many things could tumble down in the next couple weeks.

RockChalk
06-09-2010, 02:04 PM
No way.

http://media.pitch.com/well-hello-again-suckers.720081.40.jpg

alpha_omega
06-09-2010, 02:05 PM
IMO, He should stay where he is and become a lifer at MSU.

Going to the Cavs without a commitment from Lebron would be a poor move.

Mr. Plow
06-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Dude, I would absolutely cream my fucking pants if we ended up joining the Big East, I just don't think it's going to happen.

So would I. The only thing I'd love to see more is a conference with KU, Duke, UNC in it.

RockChalk
06-09-2010, 02:07 PM

Going to the Cavs without a commitment from Lebron would be a poor move.

Agreed.

The only reason Cleveland's appealing is because of Lebron. If Izzo were to sign, then James signs elsewhere, there really isn't one good player on that team.

ArrowheadHawk
06-09-2010, 02:09 PM
ArrowheadHawk, you need to take internet rumors for what they are. How many times of complete bullshit being reported on the internet is it going to take, brah?Right. I should take internet rumors for what they are as we all sit here on an internet message board discussing all kinds of different rumors until they come true. Some do. Some don't. I just took something I liked and am running with it.

Mr. Plow
06-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Right. I should take internet rumors for what they are as we all sit here on an internet message board discussing all kinds of different rumors until they come true. Some do. Some don't. I just took something I liked and am running with it.

I'm holding out hope because, quite frankly, the MWC doesn't appeal to me much. :)

DrRyan
06-09-2010, 02:11 PM
i don't see how Lebron every stays in Cleveland if Izzo doesn't become the Cavs coach. He's in a win now mode and hiring a college coach involves too much risk to make winning a championship probable.

Because Mike D'Antoni, Tom Thibodeau or any of the other coaches where Lebron might sign have championship pedigrees. Riiiight.

vailpass
06-09-2010, 02:14 PM

No doubt $$ talks loud. What I wonder is would Izzo (or anyone) go to the Cavs if he didn't know if Lebron was going to be there?

Pants
06-09-2010, 02:14 PM
So would I. The only thing I'd love to see more is a conference with KU, Duke, UNC in it.

Yeah, same here.

Param
06-09-2010, 02:15 PM

Why? If he always wanted to coach in the NBA, here's a perfect chance. He can always go back to college.

blaise
06-09-2010, 02:18 PM
No doubt $$ talks loud. What I wonder is would Izzo (or anyone) go to the Cavs if he didn't know if Lebron was going to be there?

Right. Izzo's not signing any deal until Lebron does. No way he goes there without Lebron. Izzo could have had 10 NBA jobs by now if all he wanted was an NBA gig. There's only one reason for him to take this job.

Bambi
06-09-2010, 02:20 PM
An Izzou-less MSU, Iowa and Nebraska basketball...

Look out.

Mr. Laz
06-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Because Mike D'Antoni, Tom Thibodeau or any of the other coaches where Lebron might sign have championship pedigrees. Riiiight.
so you actually think that hiring Izzo is a positive for cleveland in keeping Lebron?

just don't see it

Bambi
06-09-2010, 02:22 PM
so you actually think that hiring Izzo is a positive for cleveland in keeping Lebron?

just don't see it

This is a joke right. No way Izzou goes to Clev unless Lebron is staying.

blaise
06-09-2010, 02:22 PM

just don't see it

If it happens it's only because Lebron wants Izzo. I guarantee they're asking Lebron who he wants almost daily.

Mr. Laz
06-09-2010, 02:23 PM
This is a joke right. No way Izzou goes to Clev unless Lebron is staying.
and i say that Lebron doesn't stay in cleveland if Izzo gets hired.

Bambi
06-09-2010, 02:24 PM

no no no.... Izzo is too smart for that.

LeBron wants a new coach. He probably hand picked Izzo

Mr. Laz
06-09-2010, 02:24 PM
If it happens it's only because Lebron wants Izzo. I guarantee they're asking Lebron who he wants almost daily.
the owner of the cavs has repeatedly stated that he has not talked to Lebron about approval for the hiring of izzo.

blaise
06-09-2010, 02:25 PM

I think Izzo would be looked at more favorably by most NBA players than most college coaches. I think most college coaches would be looked at with disdain by NBA players, but I think they'd respect Izzo.

vailpass
the owner of the cavs has repeatedly stated that he has not talked to Lebron about approval for the hiring of izzo.

He may not have talked to Lebron but Has he listened to him?

blaise

He's either lying or he's stupid.

Stewie
06-09-2010, 02:26 PM
I don't think Izzo is leaving. He's said as much and I believe him. He's a quality coach and has it good in East Lansing.

Mr. Laz
no no no.... Izzo is too smart for that.

LeBron wants a new coach. He probably hand picked Izzo
i would be shocked if Lebron picked Izzo

has Lebron ever played for izzo in any capacity?(asking cuz i really don't know)

Mr. Laz
He's either lying or he's stupid.
i vote stupid

DrRyan
06-09-2010, 02:34 PM

just don't see it

Much more than Mike Brown or Mike D'Antoni in NY. Izzo is a better coach than both of them regardless of the level(NCAA or NBA).

It sure seemed like in your first post that you were claiming there is NO WAY Lebron would go back to Clevelend if Izzo signed there saying basically Lebron would not sign if a college was there because it would take to long to win.

My stance was that you look at the coaches at the other places where he has been rumored to be interested in, NY, Chicago, Brooklyn, etc. none of them have won anything and are no better, IMO, than Izzo.

DJ's left nut
06-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Damn you Anderson Varajao!!!!

This is all Delonte West's fault.

jAZ
06-09-2010, 02:36 PM
I'd bet Izzo has talked to LeBron and that's all that matters in this case.

Izzo won't make the move without LeBron's commitment to play for him. The owner doesn't need to ask. Izzo does.

dirk digler
06-09-2010, 02:41 PM
I don't know why Izzo would want to go coach in the NBA unless it is all about the money.

Mr. Plow
06-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Christ....this is gonna turn into the anal raping of the Big 12 and expansion. Everyone knows something else......

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2010/06/blog_claims_tom_izzo_has_accep.html

The speculation began as soon as Tom Izzo's name was brought up as a possible replacement for Mike Brown as head coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers.

And now the rumor mill is really churning.

One Cavaliers blog is reporting that Michigan State's head coach has already told his players he plans to accept the job with the NBA team next week.

Jeff Goodman, senior basketball writer for FOX Sports, completely shoots down the rumor via Twitter (http://twitter.com/goodmanonfox/status/15796425573): "Michigan State source told FOXSports.com that the Tom Izzo report by WFNY that he's taking the Cavs job is 'absolutely untrue.'"

It's entirely possible that Izzo did indeed meet with his players, which is what CBS Sports' Gary Parrish reports. But Parrish says Izzo "DID NOT say he's taking the Cavs job (http://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/status/15796516020)."

Brian Windhorst, Cavaliers beat writer for the Cleveland Plain Dealer (http://www.cleveland.com/) neither confirms nor denies the reports, but simply said there is a lot speculation at this point (http://twitter.com/PDcavsinsider/status/15796716528): "There is a feeling at MSU that a decision could come soon because of the stress this is causing."

Mr. Laz
06-09-2010, 02:44 PM
I'd bet Izzo has talked to LeBron and that's all that matters in this case.

Izzo won't make the move without LeBron's commitment to play for him. The owner doesn't need to ask. Izzo does.

good point ... maybe the owner of the cavs hasn't talked to Lebron, maybe he told Izzo to do it.

plausible deniability

dirk digler
06-09-2010, 02:49 PM
This is alot like the John Calipari rumors. I just don't see Izzo going to the NBA.