PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Why is Stephen Strasburg not in the HOF?

Crush
06-09-2010, 03:15 PM
It is complete travesty that the greatest pitcher of all time is not in the HOF. WTF?

seclark
06-09-2010, 03:19 PM
i think it was that "bastard pitch" to pete rose, which cost him the consecutive game hitting streak record.
people don't forget that stuff.
sec

Crush
06-09-2010, 03:21 PM
i think it was that "bastard pitch" to pete rose, which cost him the consecutive game hitting streak record.
people don't forget that stuff.
sec

True, but the guy's career record of 1-0 is impeccable.

seclark
06-09-2010, 03:21 PM
True, but the guy's career record of 1-0 is impeccable.

just sayin...
sec

KurtCobain
06-09-2010, 04:24 PM
THIS IS ****ING BULLSHIT I'M SO MAD!!!!! HE'S THE GREATEST ****ING PITCHER OF ALL TIME I MEAN WHAT THE **** REALLY!?!?!? HES NOT IN THE HALL OF FAME ALREADY!?!?!? IM PISSED! THEY MUST NOT OF SEEN THE FOURTEEN STRIKEOUTS THE MAN IS SEXY TOO!!!! PUT HIM IN!!! I MEAN GODDAMN HES ON ESPN EVERY FUCKING DAY CAL RIPKEN PLAYED EVERY FUCKING DAY AND HES IN THE HALL OF FAME!!! PLUS HE BLEW PEOPLE AWAY IN THE FARM SYSTEM!!! I MEAN FUCK PEOPLE HE HAS A FUCKING MEDAL! FOR OUR COUNTRY! DONT YOU GIVE A FUCK!?!?!?!?!?!?!OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JASONSAUTO
06-09-2010, 05:46 PM
damn what a silly thread.

cabletech94
06-09-2010, 06:20 PM
this is the best thread ever.

hall of fame material.

i'm just mad i didn't post it first.

REP crush!

Tribal Warfare
06-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Is this guy the new Mike Peterson or Rich Scanlon but he plays baseball?

Von Dumbass
06-09-2010, 06:25 PM
John Elway would have been in the HOF in Baseball if he decided to play.

88TG88
06-09-2010, 06:26 PM
They haven't finished building the separate wing in the HOF. Once they finish the Starusburg wing they'll unveil the solid gold statue.

Tribal Warfare
06-09-2010, 06:28 PM
John Elway would have been in the HOF in Baseball if he decided to play.

Actually, that comment is not too far off. Apparently, he was equally as good at baseball too.

Von Dumbass
06-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Actually, that comment is not too far off. Apparently, he was equally as good at baseball too.

Here is a pretty awesome "SI Vault" article written in 1982 about how good he was at both baseball and football.

Would He Rather Be A Unitas Or A Mantle? (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1120729/index.htm?eref=sibn)

Sure-Oz
06-09-2010, 06:39 PM
The around the horn db's on espn said they wouldnt trade strasburg right now for pujols, fucking morons

JD10367
06-09-2010, 06:39 PM
I hear Tim Tebow wears a "WWSSD?" bracelet.

sedated
06-09-2010, 07:23 PM
The media hype machine pumped him up so much, that now they are reporting on their own hype. Sometimes the media circle jerk sickens me.

Saul Good
06-09-2010, 07:41 PM
The around the horn db's on espn said they wouldnt trade strasburg right now for pujols, ****ing morons

I wouldn't either. If I were building a team, he's the first player I would take.

DJ's left nut
06-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Can you really mock the hype when he outperformed it?

As for Strasburg v. Pujols - with contract considerations, few people in the league would trade Strasburg for Albert.

Generally speaking, however, you always trade the starting pitcher for the everyday player. Beyond playing every day, hitters are just significantly healthier over the course of their careers.

Remember - a lot of these guys wouldn't have traded Prior for Pujols in 2002 either. No matter how good a pitcher is, he still does commits the most physically unnatural act in all of sports over 100 times every 5 days.

Saul Good
06-09-2010, 08:05 PM

As for Strasburg v. Pujols - with contract considerations, few people in the league would trade Strasburg for Albert.

Generally speaking, however, you always trade the starting pitcher for the everyday player. Beyond playing every day, hitters are just significantly healthier over the course of their careers.

Remember - a lot of these guys wouldn't have traded Prior for Pujols in 2002 either. No matter how good a pitcher is, he still does commits the most physically unnatural act in all of sports over 100 times every 5 days.

Over the course of their careers? Yes.
When one is from the Dominican and is officially on the wrong side of 30 (while being rumored to be older) and the other is 22? Not a chance.

I would take a 22 year old Pedro Martinez or Greg Maddox over a 30 year old Griffey or Bonds any day.

KurtCobain
06-10-2010, 05:08 PM

You really can't. This kid is going to be the greatest ever, there's no way around it.

I would take a 22 year old Pedro Martinez or Greg Maddox over a 30 year old Griffey or Bonds any day.

Is Bonds bringing the steroids?

Crush
06-10-2010, 07:11 PM
WE'RE ALMOST THERE!!!!!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5273257

Strasburg memorabilia donated to HOF

WASHINGTON -- It took only one start for the Hall of Fame to take notice of Stephen Strasburg (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=30373).

The Washington Nationals (http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/wsh/washington-nationals) said Thursday they are donating to Cooperstown a Strasburg hat and a ball from his 14-strikeout debut this week.

Strasburg also taped a Top 10 list of "Little Known Facts About Stephen Strasburg" for Thursday night's broadcast of "The Late Show with David Letterman."

Among the highlights:
No. 5: "Dumb guys think I directed 'E.T."
No. 4: "I also scored the winning goal for the Blackhawks in the Stanley Cup finals."
No. 3: "I blew my signing bonus on laser back hair removal."

Strasburg-mania also is prompting TBS to switch its coverage this Sunday. TBS will now show Washington's game at Cleveland, with Strasburg set to start.

TBS was previously scheduled to show the Phillies-Red Sox game.

The Indians' ticket office has been busy taking orders for the rookie right-hander's second career start Sunday. Averaging a major league-low 15,468 thru 25 dates, the Indians sold 8,100 tickets in the past seven days to the final game of the interleague series against the Nationals.

"We are excited to play host to the young man's first major league road start," said Bob DiBiasio, the Indians' vice president of public relations. DiBiasio said about 2,000 tickets were sold Thursday.

The Mad Crapper
06-10-2010, 07:20 PM
It is complete travesty that the greatest pitcher of all time is not in the HOF. WTF?

A player has to be retired for at least 5 years before becoming eligible, I think.

Crush
06-10-2010, 07:29 PM
A player has to be retired for at least 5 years before becoming eligible, I think.

Touche

chefsos
06-10-2010, 07:33 PM
A player has to be retired for at least 5 years before becoming eligible, I think.Everyone else can see, illuminated by the Strasburg Aura, into the future. What, you can't?

Von Dumbass
06-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Settling the debate about uber-rookies Tim Tebow and Stephen Strasburg

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0608/pg2_06082010_576.jpg

Stephen Strasburg's first strike for the Washington Nationals on Tuesday might start the Rapture.

God himself might carry Tim Tebow into the end zone during his first play from scrimmage for the Broncos this fall.

So how could anyone possibly choose between these two sports deities? Well, Page 2 gives you the Tale of the Tape.

Vital stats

Strasburg: 6-4, 220
Tebow: 6-3, 245

Advantage: Tebow. Not because he has more pounds, but because he was once described in a GQ interview as "all thick polygons and smooth flat planes and inescapable corn-fed handsomeness."

Eye color

Strasburg: blue
Tebow: blue

Advantage: Tebow. Although it may seem that they have the same eye color, you're actually mistaken. Tebow's eyes appear blue in photographs, but in person you see whatever color you want, much like looking through a prism or into a waterfall.

Jersey number

Strasburg: 37
Tebow: 15

Advantage: Strasburg. It's nice that both of these guys will get to continue wearing their college numbers in the pros. And I'm sure lots of greats have worn No. 15. Thurman Munson comes to mind for the Yankees. But Strasburg shares his number with Ron Artest. Did you know he had a friend who got stabbed through the heart with a piece of a table leg during a pickup game?

Number of bracelets worn

Strasburg: 0
Tebow: 7

Advantage: Strasburg. Tebow has one of those rubber wristbands for just about everyone he's ever met. Strasburg doesn't believe in fashion accessories other than strikeouts. Besides, bracelets would probably weigh him down and take a couple miles an hour off his fastball. They're clearly for people who don't ever throw.

Contract

Strasburg: 4-year, $15.1 million
Tebow: unsigned

Advantage: Strasburg. Tebow doesn't currently have a deal with the Broncos, so he's essentially playing for free. But even when the two sides do hammer out the X's and O's, Tebow is slotted to receive only around $11 million for five years. He's going to need to pull a Shaq to close the gap: "I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok."

Greatest award

Strasburg: 2008 Olympic bronze medal with Team USA
Tebow: 2007 Heisman Trophy

Advantage: Tebow. He's the first player to win the Heisman as a sophomore. That's impressive. A bronze medal, on the other hand? Lots of people have them, and some don't even want theirs -- for example, Swedish wrestler Ara Abrahamian, who threw his bronze medal down and walked off in Beijing.

First pro opponent

Strasburg: Pittsburgh Pirates on June 8
Tebow: Jacksonville Jaguars on Sept. 12

Advantage: Strasburg. The Jaguars were bad last season, but the Pirates are terrible. I wouldn't be surprised if he were to throw a perfect game against them. Let's just hope Jim Joyce isn't working that night.

Haircut

Strasburg: baby bowl
Tebow: modified buzz

Advantage: Tebow. This isn't so much a win for Tebow as it is a loss for Strasburg. As haircuts go, you could do worse than the newest Denver Bronco, and Strasburg is proof of that. It's as though he broke curfew and his mom cut his hair as a punishment. No wonder he never takes his cap off.

First-name popularity

Stephen: Ranked 201 in '09
Timothy: Ranked 110 in '09

Advantage: Kobe. Even if somehow the Nationals and Broncos could play some sort of baseball-football hybrid that was broadcast in every delivery room in America, they still couldn't top the number of Kobes that will be conceived over the next two weeks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=watson/100608_strasburg_tebow

Crush
06-10-2010, 08:00 PM
It looks like Tebow is about to rape Strasburg or vice versa. That photo is just total FAIL.

Brianfo
06-10-2010, 09:18 PM

This. You nailed it. I wouldn't make the trade. Pitching is the currency of baseball.

Detoxing
06-11-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't even watch MLB and Im sick of this guy already. The latest attempt by the MLB to generate a superstar so people can start caring about the sport again.

Hey MLB, it's not your players that suck, it's YOU.

LetsSignRussell
06-11-2010, 01:17 PM
His stuff was nasty

MOhillbilly
06-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Hardy Brown says baseball is fer pussberries.

seclark
06-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Hardy Brown says baseball is fer pussberries.

"pussberries"
ROFL
sec