PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Greatest Laker Ever!

BigCatDaddy
06-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Who you got?

Magic Johnson
20 Pts 11 APG 7 RBS 52% shooter
5 time NBA Champion and freak of nature that could play all 5 positions and do it well.

Kobe Bryant 25PPG 5APG and 5 RPG 45% shooter.
4 time and counting NBA Champion and great defender as well.

Jerry West 27PPG 7APG and 6RPG 47% shooter.
1 NBA title and Mr. Logo himself.

Rain Man
06-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Wilt Chamberlain is going to rise from the grave and have sex with your girlfriend and mother and sister.

Gonzo
06-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Wilt Chamberlain is going to rise from the grave and have sex with your girlfriend and mother and sister.

This.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gadzooks
06-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Where's Kareem Abdul-Jabbar?!? He knows Kung-Fu for crying out loud!!!

DeepSouth
06-09-2010, 04:37 PM

National Basketball Association (NBA)
Wilt Chamberlain is the only National Basketball Association (NBA) player ever to score 100 points in a single game. He scored exactly 100 while playing for the Philadelphia Warriors on March 2, 1962 in a 169147 victory over the New York Knicks. It happened at Hersheypark Arena in Hershey, Pennsylvania.

Sofa King
06-09-2010, 04:38 PM
no Ron Artest option?

MOhillbilly
06-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Bob Shore (358-93-3) is the greatest laker ever.:)

CaliforniaChief
06-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Hard to believe that the leading scorer in NBA history isn't on here.

But maybe a slight edge to Kobe over Magic because at least Kobe knew how to protect himself when he penetrated.

BigCatDaddy
06-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Wilt was only in LA for 5 years at the end of his career. The last 2 years only averaging about 14PPG. I could have listed Shaq as well, but I wanted to list players there were with the team a decade.

DeepSouth
06-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Where's Kareem Abdul-Jabbar?!? He knows Kung-Fu for crying out loud!!!

Don't you mean Lew Alcindor ?

ohiobronco2
06-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Magic. Just think how great he would have looked at the end of his career if Karl Malone wasn't affraid of AIDS.

Fruit Ninja
06-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Magic
Kobe (he's not done yet and will be 1 when he's done)
Kareem
West
Wilt
Shaq

mcaj22
06-09-2010, 04:46 PM
how is my boy Lew Alcindor NOT an option for this?!!?!

24 ppg 11 rpg 3.6 asp 2.5 bpg FGP 55%

2nd most games played in NBA history with those averages craps all over those other three IMO.

BigCatDaddy
06-09-2010, 04:51 PM
how is my boy Lew Alcindor NOT an option for this?!!?!

24 ppg 11 rpg 3.6 asp 2.5 bpg FGP 55%

2nd most games played in NBA history with those averages craps all over those other three IMO.

Yeah, I should have added him and Shaq. My bad.

KurtCobain
06-09-2010, 04:58 PM
D FISHER

RedNeckRaider
Magic Johnson was a Lawrence Taylor type player. Someone who sets the bar and redefines a position. Jabar, West and Bryant are all fine players but IMO Magic stands out. He made the assist fashionable. He could of if he wanted, been a scorer and put up numbers that would make Bryant cry. He chose to be the player that played whatever role needed to win. He made everyone around him not just better but much better. He got AIDS when he was still an elite player and one can only guess what could have been. I hate the Lakers and rooted for Bird and crew to beat the Lakers every time. That said he was a special player~

Amnorix
Wilt was only in LA for 5 years at the end of his career. The last 2 years only averaging about 14PPG. I could have listed Shaq as well, but I wanted to list players there were with the team a decade.

This. Wilt's best years weren't in a Lakers' uniform, so that makes it pretty tough to pick him as the GLOAT, IMHO.

L.A. Chieffan
06-09-2010, 05:12 PM
This poll sucks, but it has to be Magic.

DJ's left nut
06-09-2010, 05:21 PM
I'll vote Magic.

But Jerry West is criminally underrated.

BIG_DADDY
06-09-2010, 05:23 PM
All I know is all these guys were better than MJ. LMAO

DJJasonp
06-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Magic.....that said, Kareem can drop 25, block 5 shots, 10 boards.........and fly the team plane as Murdock

ozarkchief
06-09-2010, 05:33 PM
I was lucky enough as a young lad to see the Lakers play at the Forum a couple of times with West, Chamberlain, Baylor, and Goodrich. West seemed to always hit the big basket when they needed it. Also he was huge as G.M. as well. Gotta go with Jerry "Zeke from Cabin Creek" West.

RJ
06-09-2010, 05:48 PM

And that's just the appetizer.

Ecto-I
06-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Magic gets the nod right now, but it will be Kobe eventually. The guy is one of the best clutch performers EVER.

threebag02
06-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Bill Dance is a helluva laker. I can't stand the la lakers.

Saccopoo
06-09-2010, 07:08 PM
The definitive list:

1. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
- As dominant and consistent a center as there ever has been in the NBA.
2. Jerry West
- For christs sake, the man's silhouette is the NBA logo.
3. Elgin Baylor
- Was the best player in the NBA not named Wilt during the time he played. Rookie of the Year, his 61 points in the NBA finals is still the highest point total in the Finals, an eleven time all star and a Hall of Fame member. He also averaged 19.8 rpg in '61 - at 6'5".
4. Magic Johnson
- A unique talent. Johnson was skilled in all facets of the game.
5. Wilt Chamberlain
- The best player in NBA history. Only #5 because he only played five seasons for the Lakers and the quality of players listed above also had much longer tenures with the team.
6. Kobe Bryant
7. Gail Goodrich
8. George Mikan
9. Shaquille O'Neal
10. James Worthy

Gadzooks
06-09-2010, 07:10 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LsSoX6qB9N0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LsSoX6qB9N0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Hollywood bullshit

88TG88
06-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Magic

milkman
06-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Magic Johnson was a Lawrence Taylor type player. Someone who sets the bar and redefines a position. Jabar, West and Bryant are all fine players but IMO Magic stands out. He made the assist fashionable. He could of if he wanted, been a scorer and put up numbers that would make Bryant cry. He chose to be the player that played whatever role needed to win. He made everyone around him not just better but much better. He got AIDS when he was still an elite player and one can only guess what could have been. I hate the Lakers and rooted for Bird and crew to beat the Lakers every time. That said he was a special player~

Almost exactly my thoughts, only said far better than I could have have said it.

Psyko Tek
06-09-2010, 08:15 PM
never saw jerry play
saw kobe and magic

both tormented my suns

but magic did it with a smile and style
that made you like him

munkey
06-09-2010, 08:54 PM
where is who gives a shit?

boogblaster
06-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Saw all the above play .. not live .. far as team leaders West and Magic ...

SNR
06-09-2010, 09:19 PM
I'd rather have Shaq in his prime than Kobe in his prime.

Mojo Rising
06-09-2010, 09:54 PM
I don't think Kobe will pass Magic. Magic was the Man for his 5 rings. He did have a great support cast though. Kobe was the little brother for his first 3. He was the man last year, and this year if they finish. That ties them at 5.

Kobe would only have been the man for only 2 though. So if they 3 peat next year that will give him 6 rings to Magics 5. But, only 3 as the man vs. Magics 5. The Lakers will need to 4 peat for Kobe to pass Magic. I think he, and his supporting cast are too old for that.

CoMoChief
06-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Kareem Rush......obviously.

BigCatDaddy
06-09-2010, 10:08 PM

I debated either adding him and Kurt Rambis to the list.

Tribal Warfare
06-09-2010, 10:30 PM
No love for Elgin Baylor?

KCChiefsMan
06-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Magic.

BigChiefFan
06-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar should have been mentioned.

alanm
06-09-2010, 11:20 PM
George Mikan. :D

Basileus777
06-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Kareem not even an option?

What is this?

88TG88
06-10-2010, 12:57 AM
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar should have been mentioned.

I wonder how many people really would choose Kareem over Magic.

BossChief
06-10-2010, 02:19 AM
For me, its still Magic. The man had it right out of the gates. His rookie year he put up some crazy stats in finals games and was just...well....magic.

Kobe is a different player and he may get to the point where he can tie Magic, but Im not sure he can surpass him...we will see.

CrazyPhuD
06-10-2010, 02:23 AM

I dunno I was going to say kwame brown.

Saccopoo
06-10-2010, 03:29 AM
No love for Elgin Baylor?

See my post on page two of this thread. Ditto for Kareem.

The problem that we have here is that most people around here don't understand the historical perspective about players, the league and how it evolved.

When Wilt was in the league, he literally went up against a guy who is now in the Hall of Fame every game for his entire career and he put up ridiculous numbers in doing so. His 55 rebounds in a single game? You know who he did that against? Bill Russell. In his prime. You go pull 55 rebounds in a game against Bill Russell. See how easy it is. And then tell me that there is someone who is even remotely close to that talent wise, ever. The fucking guy averaged 50 points a game. For a fucking entire season.

Elgin Baylor's numbers are fucking insane. The guy averaged 19.8 rebounds for a season. At 6'5". And he could hang 50 on anyone, at any time. In a league that wasn't completely watered down. He was going against guys like Bob Pettit, Oscar Robertson, etc., every game.

The only thing that this thread shows is that most people don't know shit.

excessive
06-10-2010, 06:27 AM
The Lakers won the championship Magic's rookie year. Because of an injury to another player (I'm guessing it was to Abdul Jabbar), Magic played extensive time in the post. As a rookie, in the NBA, he moves from point guard to the post, and dominates. He team wins the championship. Name one other player who could do that. I can't.

Amnorix
06-10-2010, 07:00 AM
The problem that we have here is that most people around here don't understand the historical perspective about players, the league and how it evolved.

When Wilt was in the league, he literally went up against a guy who is now in the Hall of Fame every game for his entire career and he put up ridiculous numbers in doing so. His 55 rebounds in a single game? You know who he did that against? Bill Russell. In his prime. You go pull 55 rebounds in a game against Bill Russell. See how easy it is. And then tell me that there is someone who is even remotely close to that talent wise, ever. The fucking guy averaged 50 points a game. For a fucking entire season.

Elgin Baylor's numbers are fucking insane. The guy averaged 19.8 rebounds for a season. At 6'5". And he could hang 50 on anyone, at any time. In a league that wasn't completely watered down. He was going against guys like Bob Pettit, Oscar Robertson, etc., every game.

Look, I get all that. But you gotta understand, it was a completely different game back then. Just for example, in Game 2 the Lakers entire TEAM had 43 rebounds, to the Celtics entire TEAM having 35.

There isn't even an opportunity to get 55 boards a game anymore.

You won't find bigger fans of the old school players than I am, but just throwing out statistics and using them to basically establish that today's players obviously can't hold the jock straps of those who played in the 50s and 60? That's garbage.

burt
06-10-2010, 07:46 AM
Edmond Fitzgerald sould have been on the list as well

shakesthecat
06-10-2010, 09:01 AM
I'll vote Magic.

But Jerry West is criminally underrated.

This.

West is the reason I'm a Laker fan, but Magic is one of the top 5 players ever.

BigCatDaddy
06-10-2010, 09:31 AM
So anybody want a 2nd heat? Jabar, Shaq, and Baylor, the winner to square off vs Magic, or it is a forgone conclusion Magic would take the crown anyways.

Hydrae
06-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Edmond Fitzgerald sould have been on the list as well

That is such a sad song when it sinks.

Garcia Bronco
06-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Nice. It took 25 plus posts, but someone finally put Worthy on a list. He's not the greatest; Ten is right.

The definitive list:

1. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
- As dominant and consistent a center as there ever has been in the NBA.
2. Jerry West
- For christs sake, the man's silhouette is the NBA logo.
3. Elgin Baylor
- Was the best player in the NBA not named Wilt during the time he played. Rookie of the Year, his 61 points in the NBA finals is still the highest point total in the Finals, an eleven time all star and a Hall of Fame member. He also averaged 19.8 rpg in '61 - at 6'5".
4. Magic Johnson
- A unique talent. Johnson was skilled in all facets of the game.
5. Wilt Chamberlain
- The best player in NBA history. Only #5 because he only played five seasons for the Lakers and the quality of players listed above also had much longer tenures with the team.
6. Kobe Bryant
7. Gail Goodrich
8. George Mikan
9. Shaquille O'Neal
10. James Worthy

Garcia Bronco
06-10-2010, 10:22 AM
The Lakers won the championship Magic's rookie year. Because of an injury to another player (I'm guessing it was to Abdul Jabbar), Magic played extensive time in the post. As a rookie, in the NBA, he moves from point guard to the post, and dominates. He team wins the championship. Name one other player who could do that. I can't.

didn't he play for 9 championships? And all he had to do was beat the badass Celtics and Pistons? Plus the Dream team. And he put AIDS in the conscience of the masses.

Hydrae
06-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Nice. It took 25 plus posts, but someone finally put Worthy on a list. He's not the greatest; Ten is right.

As a fan of the Blazers, especially in the late 70's and early 80's, I hated Worthy. It seemed like all he ever did was hit the big shot and stick the dagger straight into my heart. Every damned time! :cuss:

FD
06-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Haven't read the thread so its probably been said already, but I have to go with Lake Michigan. Lake Superior is a close second.

BIG_DADDY
06-10-2010, 12:08 PM
My problem with this whole comparison is Kobe still has gas in his tank and his legacy is incomplete.

BigCatDaddy
06-10-2010, 12:21 PM
My problem with this whole comparison is Kobe still has gas in his tank and his legacy is incomplete.

True, but he is the same age now as Magic was when he retired.

BIG_DADDY
06-10-2010, 12:30 PM
True, but he is the same age now as Magic was when he retired.

Additional points for Kobe then. I don't see Kobe retiring any time soon.

Raptor9000
06-10-2010, 01:20 PM
I voted Magic Johnson.

BigCatDaddy
06-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Additional points for Kobe then. I don't see Kobe retiring any time soon.

Additional points for not getting AIDS granted.

L.A. Chieffan
06-10-2010, 01:50 PM
See my post on page two of this thread. Ditto for Kareem.

You cant compare todays game and the NBA of the 50's and 60's. You just cant do it. As much respect I have for Russell, Wilt, Cousy, Elgin, you think those guys could do the same in todays league?

No way man.

mcaj22
06-10-2010, 01:56 PM
You cant compare todays game and the NBA of the 50's and 60's. You just cant do it. As much respect I have for Russell, Wilt, Cousy, Elgin, you think those guys could do the same in todays league?

No way man.

Kareem would eat these clowns up in todays game. Who would be his competition? DWIGHT HOWARD? hahahahahha funny joke.

The competition was fair across the board, even the BAD teams had hall of fame players on them. You don't have that today, if you are a bad team in the NBA you have BAD players. Every good player wants to play for a big market. It wasn't like that back then. Yeah the same 4 teams dominated and won the championships, but they were still going against hall of fame caliber players every night. Kobe and Lebron are not going up against Hall of Fame talent every night. You are lucky if there are even 15 players in the NBA today that have a chance at the Hall of Fame when their careers are done.

BIG_DADDY
06-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Additional points for not getting AIDS granted.

ROFL

Amnorix
06-10-2010, 02:17 PM
I spent a day or two to consider it, and went with Magic. Maybe I"m biased because he was the nemesis of my youth, when everything was better. Or maybe it's just that he's hard to dislike, though I certainly hated him at times.

But he was a 6'8" point guard who averaged 20 points a game on 52% shooting with an 85% free throw average, 7 boards, 11 assists and 2 steals a game. That is pretty damn sick. And of course he was clutch and a good leader, etc. etc.

If I had a proverbial #1 pick, Lakers players only, I think I'd go Magic.

BIG_DADDY
06-10-2010, 03:16 PM
I spent a day or two to consider it, and went with Magic. Maybe I"m biased because he was the nemesis of my youth, when everything was better. Or maybe it's just that he's hard to dislike, though I certainly hated him at times.

But he was a 6'8" point guard who averaged 20 points a game on 52% shooting with an 85% free throw average, 7 boards, 11 assists and 2 steals a game. That is pretty damn sick. And of course he was clutch and a good leader, etc. etc.

If I had a proverbial #1 pick, Lakers players only, I think I'd go Magic.

Well they're all better than any of those Gang Green members which is all that's important. :evil: