PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto home air conditioning problems!!

cabletech94
06-09-2010, 07:29 PM
okay, here's the dealio:

no cold ac blowin in the house.
inside fan (furnace unit) blowing just fine.
outside fan not running at all.

tripped all the breakers. changed the filter (inside). turned all off for 4 hours this morning and back on at noon today.
got home and the house is hot as hell.

of course my work day is done at 5:30 and all service outlets are done at 5pm.

anybody got any brain busters? it may be the outside compressor is all i'm coming up with. wife's bitchin' is about to make me drink some beer. anyone?

thanks in advance for the anti-freeze comments!!!

bevischief
06-09-2010, 07:41 PM
gerbil?

Donger
06-09-2010, 07:44 PM
If you are lucky, the compressor is fine and just low on refrigerant. Was the A/C fine before this, or was it struggling to keep the house cool? Are you sure that the breaker controlling the A/C is not tripped or does not trip when A/C is turned on?

If you are unlucky, your compressor is fried and you're looking at a few thousand dollars repair.

mlyonsd
06-09-2010, 07:45 PM
If the outside unit doesn't run at all but the inside fan does in AC mode I'd almost rule out the thermostat.

If your outside unit doesn't have it's own breaker or reset button I'd say you're screwed until a professional looks at it.

bevischief
06-09-2010, 07:50 PM
hammer.

chief52
06-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Probably not the case but...

When you say "tripped the breaker" do you mean your turned it all the way off and then on again? Some people do not do that, but from what you are explaining I would think you understand that. I work for an electric utitity and find it quite often that the customer just clicks the breaker back on rather than off and then on.

Gonzo
06-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Fan motor on outside unit maybe?
Posted via Mobile Device

Gary
06-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Just had a similar problem happen with my ac. It turned out to be a blown capacitor in a box my power company had installed on the house. When the ac guy tripped the breakers, the capacitor blew up inside the power company's box. Even if you don't have one of these boxes, the capacitor on your outside unit might have given out. Or it could be some other kind of power interrupt with the outside unit.

allen_kcCard
06-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Just had a similar problem happen with my ac. It turned out to be a blown capacitor in a box my power company had installed on the house. When the ac guy tripped the breakers, the capacitor blew up inside the power company's box. Even if you don't have one of these boxes, the capacitor on your outside unit might have given out. Or it could be some other kind of power interrupt with the outside unit.

This is what happened to mine last year....here is how to see if it is happening to you.

Out by your AC there is probably a circuit breaker there...open the box and pull out the breaker...big ass thing compared to what you see inside.

Make sure the AC is on and should kick on as usual, and then put the breaker back in and listen to your AC unit. For mine, I heard a buzz, like it was trying to kick on, and it would do this for a while until it finally stopped. If I used a screwdriver or other thing and gave the fan a spin while it was spinning it would come up to speed and work, but then when it shut off and did it again later the same thing happened. The capacitor that give the fan the OOMPF to get spinning had blown and it couldn't get going.

When I took things apart and looked, there was a group of 3 capacitors and one had a rounded end, a sign of a blown one. I looked up the part, went to an AC place and got a new one (one that was close enough acutally, checked on the internet first) popped the new one in and it worked like a charm.

cabletech94
06-09-2010, 08:32 PM
thanks for the insight guys ('cept for bevis).
yea, i've got inside and outside breakers. i've shut them off and on several times. i did find a pressure release button on the outside box. i pressed it and for a tenth of a second the fan almost tried to start, but did not come back on. i'm not sure if i can pull the outside breaker out, it's just an on/off switch. i'll check that.

cardken
06-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Capacitor or Condenser Fan motor. If in fact the breaker is set and good. Could be contactor as well.

Donger
06-09-2010, 08:36 PM
thanks for the insight guys ('cept for bevis).
yea, i've got inside and outside breakers. i've shut them off and on several times. i did find a pressure release button on the outside box. i pressed it and for a tenth of a second the fan almost tried to start, but did not come back on. i'm not sure if i can pull the outside breaker out, it's just an on/off switch. i'll check that.

Ick. Compressor is fried.

cabletech94
06-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Ick. Compressor is fried.

i didn't need to spend that extra moolah on a vacation this summer anyway. i do hope you are wrong, SIR.

Donger
06-09-2010, 08:40 PM
i didn't need to spend that extra moolah on a vacation this summer anyway. i do hope you are wrong, SIR.

I'm never wrong.

cabletech94
06-09-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm never wrong.

shit.

mlyonsd
06-09-2010, 08:47 PM
How old is your system?

Doesn't sound good right now when it comes to $$$$.

Screw it and go on vacation. We didn't have air until I was 14.

cabletech94
06-09-2010, 08:53 PM
How old is your system?

Doesn't sound good right now when it comes to $$$$.

Screw it and go on vacation. We didn't have air until I was 14.

yeah, i didn't have ac until i was a frshman in college. i've gotten, ahem, a bit soft in my old age.

the house and ac unit is only 2 years old. i'm sure there's some sort of warranty with it. i've just gotta find out who put it in and try to run down my realtor/home builder.
'sides i usually just do a staycation anyways. it's cheaper that way.
thanks for the help fellas!!

cabletech94
06-10-2010, 01:05 PM
*****UPDATE******

repairman came out. took off the cover of the outside fan unit. capacitor literally had blown up. as in kaboom.

under warranty. props goes out to the clever and witty Mrs. Cabletech 94 (sorry FAX) for finding the warranty papers.

repairman said he'd never seen one do that. it was a 30 part with 55 dollars in labor.
i think i will start up my own ac co. 15 minutes to fix. that was pretty cool and bothersome.

thanks again for your words of advice, and Donger, fwiw, you were wrong. please don't neg rep me bro!

you guys are the bestest, i love me some chiefs planet!!!!

Baconeater
06-10-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm never wrong.
:LOL:

mikeyis4dcats.
06-10-2010, 01:07 PM
*****UPDATE******

repairman came out. took off the cover of the outside fan unit. capacitor literally had blown up. as in kaboom.

under warranty. props goes out to the clever and witty Mrs. Cabletech 94 (sorry FAX) for finding the warranty papers.

repairman said he'd never seen one do that. it was a 30 part with 55 dollars in labor.
i think i will start up my own ac co. 15 minutes to fix. that was pretty cool and bothersome.

thanks again for your words of advice, and Donger, fwiw, you were wrong. please don't neg rep me bro!

yeah, caps are cake. I replaced my own last year in 5 minutes after a HVAC buddy gave me the part. :)

cabletech94
06-10-2010, 01:10 PM
yeah, caps are cake. I replaced my own last year in 5 minutes after a HVAC buddy gave me the part. :)

that was my prob. out of all the peeps that i know, not one works in the hvac industy.
pretty weird.
i looked at the replacement part and thought, if i'd had known. but i know now.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-10-2010, 01:13 PM
that was my prob. out of all the peeps that i know, not one works in the hvac industy.
pretty weird.
i looked at the replacement part and thought, if i'd had known. but i know now.

I work for a general contractor. I have all kinds of friends. :)

cabletech94
06-10-2010, 01:15 PM
I work for a general contractor. I have all kinds of friends. :)

bragger!:clap:

Alton deFlat
06-10-2010, 01:17 PM
You got off pretty lucky. The capacitor is one of the less expensive things it could have been. The thing you reset in the condensing unit was probably the head pressure control. It would have tripped shortly after the motor stopped running to protect the compressor.

http://diyhvacdepot.com/images/oval.jpg

Hog Farmer
06-10-2010, 04:34 PM
I deal with lots , I mean lots of fan motors on my farm. One of the first things I check after I reset a breaker is if the motor starts to humm and I give the blade a push by hand and it takes off then it's always a blown capacitor.

My AC has problems every year at the first of summer and I go outside and the line coming out from the compressor is always iced over which means it's low on fridgerant. They charge it and I'm good for another year. FYI.

cabletech94
06-10-2010, 10:16 PM
yea, i'd never know what the cap was before i saw it today (and i'm sorta handy).
apparently we were hit by lightning or some surge from the storm on monday or tuesday. repairman opened up the cover and the cap looked like it shot out like a bottlerocket. he said he'd never seen anything like it.
gotta love kansas weather my friends. and if you don't live in kansas, get the efffff out!

Donger
06-11-2010, 08:49 AM
:LOL:

Not a Princess Bride fan?

R8RFAN
06-11-2010, 08:55 AM
have you checked that it is draining water properly? if it is not draining the water will back up and trip breakers or blow a transformer in the unit

I see now he has it fixed, good deal but still make sure it is draining properly

mikeyis4dcats.
06-11-2010, 09:38 AM
caps melt down and blow up all the time from what I understand....its not that unusual.

boogblaster
06-11-2010, 09:42 AM
rats frickin rats they ate me wires two years in a row

ChiefButthurt
06-11-2010, 10:55 AM
*****UPDATE******

These guys didn't do anything but make you worry more. Please EDIT out the bestest.

cabletech94
06-11-2010, 01:00 PM
These guys didn't do anything but make you worry more. Please EDIT out the bestest.

naw, wasn't worried that much.
all the parts were under warranty so it was cool. and i learned how to replace the next one if need be.

so, maybe i should just thank all for the advice and other shenanigans!!