PDA

View Full Version : Life How Do You Know When You're Going Crazy?

FAX
06-09-2010, 08:39 PM
There have to be signs ... drinking iced gasoline, carving your mother's initials in your groin with a coping saw, hearing Mo Howard's voice telling you to bake the neighbor's cat ... you know, stuff like that.

They say that, if you think you're crazy, you probably aren't. I'm not sure that's true, though. I think there may be lots of people who think they're crazy and really are. On the other hand, maybe those people who don't think they're crazy are really the crazy people and reality (as we perceive it through our five, mortal senses) isn't actually real like they say. Instead, maybe this life experience is simply some form of illusion designed by the aliens who control this section of the galaxy and put in place in order to confuse and occupy us as our genes evolve for some future, unknown purpose. That would, of course, mean that people aren't really people, but just lab rats ... except that, since in that case this reality isn't real, lab rats aren't real either which, in and of itself, is highly troubling because lab rats are used to design pharmaceuticals and if lab rats are not real, who knows how or if those medications really work? My God!

For my part, I've been having some very odd dreams. Really weird ones that are both unusually vivid and exceedingly memorable. The odd thing is that these dreams are so strange that they wake me up. Then, when I return to sleep, they start right back up where they left off. That's never happened to me before. Obviously, my subconscious mind is askew in some fashion. Either that, or I'm merely experiencing a new type of dream I've never had before.

Anyhow, it's sufficiently unusual and concerning that I thought I'd ask the Planeteer community if anyone amongst us (other than myself, of course) has had those kinds of dreams ... you know, where they start right back up where they left off and all. If so, please advise and, if possible, provide a cure.

Thanks in advance for your kind consideration.

FAX

Disclaimers: Sorry if repost.

SnakeXJones
06-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Sounds like my brother who is in the mental hospital btw didnt read all the way through but he is crazy

boogblaster
06-09-2010, 08:43 PM
You won't know when it comes Mr Fax .. so be happy .....

Count Alex's Losses
06-09-2010, 08:44 PM
When your thoughts turn to murder.

Baconeater
06-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Could it be a side effect of some medication you're taking? I've had weird dreams when I've taken hydrocodone shortly before I went to bed.

Donger
06-09-2010, 08:45 PM
I got halfway through your post and had the irresistible urge to masturbate, so I cannot help you with your question for a few minutes.

milkman
06-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Were I you, I'd stopped sleeping, then dreams wouldn't be a problem.

FAX
06-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Could it be a side effect of some medication you're taking? I've had weird dreams when I've taken hydrocodone shortly before I went to bed.

Could be, Mr. Bugeater. I've been taking morphine sulfate for some time. I have a friend who complained of strange, unsettling dreams while taking hydrocodone after his recent lung surgery. I've been taking these pain meds for quite a while, though ... and with no side effects ... certainly nothing like this.

I can't discount the possibility, though.

FAX

el borracho
06-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Well, what are you asking us for? We're not doctors! Probably better to check with the voices in your head.

cdcox
06-09-2010, 09:16 PM
When you wake up from the dream the first time, immerse your hand in warm water before you go back to sleep.

FAX
06-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Well, what are you asking us for? We're not doctors! Probably better to check with the voices in your head.

What better place to ask about possible evidence of insanity than ChiefsPlanet, Mr. el borracho? Get real.

But to answer your question, I thought maybe someone here had experienced dreams that pick back up where they left off and know a way to make it stop. It's spooky and I'm freaking out here, man.

FAX

DeezNutz
06-09-2010, 09:33 PM

When you wake up from the dream the first time, immerse your hand in warm water before you go back to sleep.

You sure about that?

el borracho
06-09-2010, 09:42 PM
I have had such dreams- usually, but not always, when I am ill. The imagery isn't unpleasant but the mood is often unsettling. They are often repetitive even within themselves where patterns will repeat over and over, like trying to work out some difficult chore. I always imagined it was an extension of the connection between my mind and body- that the dreams were a sort of reflection of my body's effort to heal itself. I'm not sure I can offer advice on making them stop- for me, it is usually only one or two nights and then back to normal.

RippedmyFlesh
06-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Could be, Mr. Bugeater. I've been taking morphine sulfate for some time. I have a friend who complained of strange, unsettling dreams while taking hydrocodone after his recent lung surgery. I've been taking these pain meds for quite a while, though ... and with no side effects ... certainly nothing like this.

I can't discount the possibility, though.

FAX
I am not a dr Mr Fax but yours would want to know about sleep disorder type issues.The drug you take would amplify sleep apnea/insomnia type issues making them more severe for you than someone not taking it.
Lack of sleep can make you feel like your going off the deep end.
Don't be the guy the dr looks at and says
"Why didn't you tell me about this (fill in the blank here 1 week, 3 months..) ago?"
Ever notice it's always the bad dreams that pick up right where they left off yet the good ones don't seem to come back after a break.

FAX
06-09-2010, 10:00 PM
I am not a dr Mr Fax but yours would want to know about sleep disorder type issues.The drug you take would amplify sleep apnea/insomnia type issues making them more severe for you than someone not taking it.
Lack of sleep can make you feel like your going off the deep end.
Don't be the guy the dr looks at and says
"Why didn't you tell me about this (fill in the blank here 1 week, 3 months..) ago?"
Ever notice it's always the bad dreams that pick up right where they left off yet the good ones don't seem to come back after a break.

These dreams aren't necessarily bad, Mr. RippedmyFlesh ... just kinda strange (although, I suppose all dreams are, in a way). The main one has to do with a reunion of some kind ... like a college class reunion or more like a reunion of people I've known throughout my life. Some are alive and some are not, but there are no monsters or zombies or those creepy, headless assholes with axes that chase you through endless, dark, damp catacombs as you scream for help that never arrives.

The strange thing is that, always before, if I awoke from a dream ... that was it. I couldn't recreate the dream if I wanted to and it certainly didn't just fire up again as though I had put it on pause.

The good news is that I'm trying to decide if I'm going nuts or not which, I'm told, is a great sign ... especially if you haven't yet begun stuffing Cool Whip in your ears.

FAX

RippedmyFlesh
06-09-2010, 10:12 PM
I understand Fax like el barracho said "the mood is often unsettling".
Nothing horrific but the unsettling feeling can make for poor sleep quality.
As to OP I think only a dr makes the right call. Certaintly not anyone here where sanity is not a requirement.

Slainte
06-09-2010, 10:45 PM
http://www.sevenstories.com/Resources/titles/58322100645080/Images/58322100645080L.gif

"Most diseases can be separated from oneís self ... schizophrenia is something we are." So begins Mark Vonnegutís depiction of his descent into, and eventual emergence from, mental illness. As a recent college graduate, self-avowed hippie, and son of a counterculture hero, Vonnegut begins to experience increasingly delusional thinking, suicidal thoughts, and physical incapacity. In February 1971 he is committed to a psychiatric hospital. The Eden Express, an ALA Notable Book first published over 25 years ago, is his honest, thoughtful, and moving account of the illness of schizophrenia. This edition features a new foreword by Kurt Vonnegut and a new preface by the author. "Required reading for those who want to understand insanity from the inside." ó The New York Times

loochy
06-09-2010, 10:49 PM
You know that you are going crazy when you experience the abortion that is the Kansas City Chiefs season after season and you still have hope for the upcoming season.

You know that you are going crazy when you visit ChiefsPlanet on a daily basis.

LaChapelle
06-09-2010, 10:57 PM
When in traffic you think the license plate on the vehicle ahead of you contains a coded message
I'm sure glad Missouri plates dropped the bluebird and squiggly line
If I ran another school bus into a river I'm sure I'd get caught this time

KC Tattoo
06-09-2010, 11:15 PM
ALL ABOOOOOAAAARRD HAHAHAHAHAHA...
AY AY AY AY AY...
Crazy, but thats how it goes
Millions of people living as foes
Maybe its not to late
To learn how to love
And forget how to hate

Mental wounds not healing
Lifes a bitter shame
Im going off the rails on a crazy train

Ive listened to preachers
Ive listened to fools
Ive watched all the dropouts
Who make their own rules
One person conditioned to rule and control
The media sells it and you have the role

Mental wounds still screaming
Driving me insane

I know that things are going wrong for me
You gotta listen to my words
Yeh-h yeeeeaaaahhhh

CRAZY ASS GUITAR SOLO!!!!!!!!!!

Heirs of a cold war
Thats what weve become
Inheriting troubles Im mentally numb
Crazy, I just cannot bear
Im living with something that just isnt fair

Mental wounds not healing
Who and whats to blame

ClevelandBronco
06-09-2010, 11:20 PM
"I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane."

Might be Waylon Jennings. I don't know if he wrote it or just sang it.

FAX
06-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Okay. I can see where this is going. Let's try a different tack.

Why is it that some dreams are more vivid than others? I mean, some dreams are vague at best. They're basically just random images or feelings or "impressions" all mishmashed together like an Ang Lee movie. On the other hand, some dreams are in technicolor and you can remember them long after you awake. Why is that? Some dreams seem almost real when you're experiencing them, whereas, in other dreams, in the back of your mind you actually know you're dreaming. Why is that, too?

FAX

BossChief
06-10-2010, 12:11 AM
Okay. I can see where this is going. Let's try a different tack.

Why is it that some dreams are more vivid than others? I mean, some dreams are vague at best. They're basically just random images or feelings or "impressions" all mishmashed together like an Ang Lee movie. On the other hand, some dreams are in technicolor and you can remember them long after you awake. Why is that? Some dreams seem almost real when you're experiencing them, whereas, in other dreams, in the back of your mind you actually know you're dreaming. Why is that, too?

FAX

I have often wondered exactly that. Some dreams I wake up from and can remember distinct smells, sensations and colors (as you mentioned) that were very vivid.

greg63
06-10-2010, 12:22 AM
Dreams tend to be sub conscious gobaldy-goop, but I'm no expert; obviously.

Joe Seahawk
06-10-2010, 01:12 AM
It's all good..

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZujLW2-d3Jo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZujLW2-d3Jo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

ChiefJustice
06-10-2010, 01:20 AM
Yossarian (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000273/): Is Orr crazy?
Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0318527/): Of course he is. He has to be crazy to keep flying after all his close calls he's had.
Yossarian (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000273/): Why can't you ground him?
Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0318527/): I can, but first he has to ask me.
Yossarian (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000273/): That's all he's gotta do to be grounded?
Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0318527/): That's all.
Yossarian (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000273/): Then you can ground him?
Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0318527/): No. Then I cannot ground him.
Yossarian (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000273/): Aah!
Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0318527/): There's a CATCH?
Yossarian (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000273/): A catch?
Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0318527/): Sure. Catch-22. Anyone who wants to get out of combat isn't really crazy, so I can't ground him.
Yossarian (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000273/): Ok, let me see if I've got this straight. In order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy. And I must be crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy anymore, and I have to keep flying.
Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0318527/): You got it, that's Catch-22.
Yossarian (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000273/): Whoo... That's some catch, that Catch-22.
Dr. 'Doc' Daneeka (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0318527/): It's the best there is.

JohnnyV13
06-10-2010, 01:22 AM
WHen your psychiatrist tells you that your lifelong best friend is a figment of your imagination, and you fire him for being crazy.

lostcause
06-10-2010, 01:29 AM
When the penguins start stealing your sanity, one by one.

FAX
06-10-2010, 01:29 AM
Okay. I have an idea.

Long, long ago on a road trip from KC to LA with little more to my name than gas money, an Ovation guitar, and half a lid of weed, I made a fascinating discovery. "What fascinating discovery was that," you ask? Well inquire no longer, for I am about to describe the discovery to you using words and spaces between words as demonstrated below ...

As the road trip referenced above began, it just so happened that for reasons unknown, it became apparent that I had that song by Dean Martin stuck in my head ... it was the one about the moon being a giant pizza pie and hitting your eye when it's amore. (A terrible song to have stuck in your brain, obviously. Most terrible, in fact.) Anyhow, as frustration set in, I attempted to force myself to think of something else ... anything else in an effort to not hum or whistle or sing that damn song. I thought about sex. I thought about death. I thought about underwater golf and how many dollops of potatoes it would take to build a life-sized model of the White House using nothing but mashed potatoes and those little string deals that are in between the banana peel and the banana and whether or not your potato White House could withstand the elements without some kind of sealant. Unfortunately, regardless of what I did or didn't do or thought about doing or not doing, every few minutes I'd start singing that damnedable song. Until at last ... it hit me.

If I could only sing the song backwards, perhaps doing so would erase the horrific tune from my mind. Well, let me tell you, that's not an easy deal. But, after several hundred miles and an equal number of failed efforts, I was able to piece together an entire verse backwards complete with lyrics and melody ... and it worked. The song was completely gone and the curse was, at last, lifted.

So, my idea is this ... all I have to do is remember my dream backwards. If I do that, the dream should be permanently erased from my subconscious mind forever. The experiment is forthcoming as it is well past time for my weekday retirement. Wish me luck, Planeteers, because God knows I'll need it and, frankly, anything could happen.

FAX

mikey23545
06-10-2010, 02:33 AM
How Do You Know When You're Going Crazy?

When you have to ask.

Saccopoo
06-10-2010, 03:37 AM
I'd throw some Freudian bullshit at you for your piss poor attempt at fishing for some dream analysis, but I know you are too intelligent for that shit.

Dreams are dreams. A release of subconscious worries, pressures of daily life, desires that can't be expressed socially, physically, etc. If you weren't having fucked up dreams, then I'd start worrying.

That's where the whole sociopath thing comes into play.

You're not a sociopath are you FAX?

bevischief
06-10-2010, 07:00 AM
When in traffic you think the license plate on the vehicle ahead of you contains a coded message
I'm sure glad Missouri plates dropped the bluebird and squiggly line
If I ran another school bus into a river I'm sure I'd get caught this time

ROFL

Psyko Tek
06-10-2010, 07:32 AM
you are going crazy
when the rest of the world starts making sense

Johnny Vegas
06-10-2010, 07:38 AM
I have a couple dreams I have had more than once. I've had them so much now the dreams I feel like I already know what will happen. I do the same thing in it over and over in a situation where you'd want to not do the same thing for my example is jump off the wing of a plane in my dream.

I try to land on a sky scraper and before all that I was sitting fine in a plane eating peanuts and the plane makes a turn and I fall onto the wing and the plane starts to fly low so I can land on a building.

Another dream might have to do with a video game COD nazi zombies. However I'm with a group of people I care dearly about and we're barricaded in but someone left a hatch unlocked and 1 person dies as we shoot our way out to another building climbing ladders, fences and crawling in holes, sewers and tunnels. I reach each destination to barricade up then a spot wasn't checked and more zombies killing another. I wake up everytime that person dies because I'm seriously crying in my sleep. I wake up with tears and all. It has a lot to do with the person that got killed because these are people I love in my life.

When I go back to sleep the damn dream starts again from the last death I go all the way through the dream to be left by myself running down an empty street being chased and then I wake up. Its been awhile since I had that dream, but I've had it so much I can recall almost all of it.

burt
06-10-2010, 07:39 AM
I often have dreams that continue after a brief time of being awake. Very often. I can't verify my sanity, I AM able to operate a motor vehicle. Barely, according to my Mrs.

burt
06-10-2010, 07:41 AM
I have a couple dreams I have had more than once. I've had them so much now the dreams I feel like I already know what will happen. I do the same thing in it over and over in a situation where you'd want to not do the same thing for my example is jump off the wing of a plane in my dream.

I try to land on a sky scraper and before all that I was sitting fine in a plane eating peanuts and the plane makes a turn and I fall onto the wing and the plane starts to fly low so I can land on a building.

Another dream might have to do with a video game COD nazi zombies. However I'm with a group of people I care dearly about and we're barricaded in but someone left a hatch unlocked and 1 person dies as we shoot our way out to another building climbing ladders, fences and crawling in holes, sewers and tunnels. I reach each destination to barricade up then a spot wasn't checked and more zombies killing another. I wake up everytime that person dies because I'm seriously crying in my sleep. I wake up with tears and all. It has a lot to do with the person that got killed because these are people I love in my life.

When I go back to sleep the damn dream starts again from the last death I go all the way through the dream to be left by myself running down an empty street being chased and then I wake up. Its been awhile since I had that dream, but I've had it so much I can recall almost all of it.

Sorry......YOU are crazy.

BigMeatballDave
06-10-2010, 07:48 AM
I lost my mind at an early age when I became a Chiefs fan...

gblowfish
06-10-2010, 09:25 AM
"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
Matt Groening

Fairplay
06-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Last night In my dream I several shiny new buildings just built and the last one started to fall down one floor at a time. People were dieing and all.

I was like what was that about?

RedNFeisty
06-10-2010, 09:50 AM
I have no advice, but suffer the same. I chalk it up to poor emotional state...In my recurring dream Jimmy Smit is trying to hunt me down and kill me...lol...I'm running through a city, apartment buildings, jumping roof tops, driving an ice cream truck, some really weird things are happening. When my emotions are level, I don't have the dream. I think Jimmy is the ex!!!

Fish
06-10-2010, 10:09 AM
I saw this episode of Fringe....

You're likely about to be visited by the "Fax" from the alternate universe. We shall call him "Evil Fax" for conversation purposes. But the point is that Evil Fax likely wants to destroy our parallel universe. Most of this is due to our universe's lack of zeppelins as a common means of transportation. He will likely be dressed as a more trendy and hip version of yourself, with a swank haircut and challenging disposition. Be on the lookout friend. Don't trust him.

Of course, this could be a ploy and the swap has already been made. In which we're giving too much info to Evil Fax right this very moment.

Perhaps we should all quit talking to Fax(maybe Evil Fax) just to be sure......

Hog Farmer
06-10-2010, 10:34 AM
I have noticed that my dreams are more vivid when they occur in the wee morning hours when I start waking up and dozing back off.

That being said about 75% of my dreams are related to something I'm subconsciously thinking about. For Example: I have been doing a lot of research and watching the History channel about Ancient Aliens, ufo's , alien abduction, Planet X and the lizard gods that are supposed to swing by in 2012. I have found this subject fascinating recently I would say due to what I observed last year for myself in the sky over a Ranch adjacent to my farm.
Anyway just two nights ago I had a very vivid dream that I was being obducted. I was placed in a small black UFO that was just big enough for me and very tight, the inside of the saucer formed to my body as I was sitting like in a recliner and their was only about two inches of space between my face and the enclosure surrounding me. I distinctly remember the feeling of weightlessness and the pressures you would feel as if being in a spaceship. It was awesome and I also recall the feeling of clostrifobia. I awoke during my flight and tried to go back to sleep to continue the ride but I couldn't.

The other 25% of my dreams are of the sexual nature. And I hate waking up right before the money shot !

seclark
06-10-2010, 10:37 AM
The other 25% of my dreams are of the sexual nature. And I hate waking up right before the money shot !

i'm not going to write it...trying to be nice today.
sec

bevischief
06-10-2010, 07:04 PM
When on pain killers...

Mr. Laz
06-10-2010, 09:38 PM
ask a chick, they are born half crazy.

beach tribe
06-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Wow, you just started having these kinds of dreams?
I've had them my whole life, but I've always thought I was a little crazy.
Also, yes, pain killers, especially oxycodone intensifies them, and makes them more frequent.

Bearcat
06-10-2010, 10:50 PM
I had extremely vivid dreams when I took melatonin for insomnia... so, maybe you're producing too much melatonin.

Stop that.

Hog Farmer
06-11-2010, 02:38 AM
I had extremely vivid dreams when I took melatonin for insomnia... so, maybe you're producing too much melatonin.

Stop that.

True. I take melatonin a lot and it definitely causes a night of vivid imagination.

Inspector
06-11-2010, 07:16 AM
So, I'm NOT supposed to stuff my ears with cool whip?

I just can't keep up with all these changes.

Chiefless
06-11-2010, 08:07 AM
Dreams are dreams. A release of subconscious worries, pressures of daily life, desires that can't be expressed socially, physically, etc.

This. IMO, Dreams are your unconscious mind making up stories using whatever materiel your conscious mind has gathered. It's basically your imagination running unchecked. If I unravel the metaphors they are typically eradicated.

burt
06-11-2010, 08:50 AM
This. IMO, Dreams are your unconscious mind making up stories using whatever materiel your conscious mind has gathered. It's basically your imagination running unchecked. If I unravel the metaphors they are typically eradicated.

Lighten up, Francis...

morphius
06-11-2010, 09:35 AM

Sounds like you need to work on lucid dreaming, it is a great safety valve whenever a dream turns bad. I've always had a hard time staying asleep once I take over, but being able to fly at will would probably come in handy for you. Though I still think the oddest thing I have done is grow bored of my dreams and just close my "eyes" to them. Essentially it is like sleeping with the TV, you can hear that there is a dream going on, but you don't feel like you are apart of it and you have no clue what is happening.

morphius
okay, I might be a little crazy.

Chiefless
06-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Lighten up, Francis...

Anyone have dreams...I'll kill ya.

Pioli Zombie
06-11-2010, 08:16 PM
When you start liking the Jonas Brothers

BIG K
06-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Pretty much when you start asking others if you are crazy............You are prolly gone.....