PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Will St Joe finaly get it's shit together

LaChapelle
06-10-2010, 11:47 AM
-St Joseph and Dorsey share a moment

St. Joseph prepares for spotlight of Chiefs’ training camp
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Chiefs training camp will be held in St. Joseph this summer, and officials say the site should be completed by July 20.

Chiefs president Denny Thum stood on a platform overlooking Spratt Stadium, one of the best views on the Missouri Western campus to watch a big idea come to life.

While Thum stood and talked, this day’s work progressed: men in hard hats working on the roof of the “Big Barn,” the campus’ sprawling new indoor football facility. Bulldozers leveling dirt in the distance, two goal posts on opposite ends acting as the only hints this chunk of land will soon be the Chiefs’ two training-camp practice fields. A dump truck delivering more top dressing to the site, and masonry workers laughing as they stacked bricks on what will be restrooms and a concession stand.

Thum soaked it in: the final stages of a $13 million project that will be the Chiefs’ summer home for at least five years.

“I’ll feel a lot better when they have the bleachers out there,” Thum said with a smile. “Then it’ll look like training camp.”

An idea that began years ago is approaching completion. Before, bringing the Chiefs’ training camp back to Missouri — the team trained in River Falls, Wis., for the last 19 summers — was an ambition. Now it’s reality, or something close to it. And that means that, although one massive project is almost finished, another one is about to begin: Missouri Western and St. Joseph will be front and center for more than three weeks starting next month, and that’s a lot of pressure for a school and a town unaccustomed to such attention and such a high number of visitors.

“There will definitely be a learning curve this year,” said Kristi Rasmussen, the communications director for the St. Joseph Area Chamber of Commerce. “Whatever happens this year, we’ll definitely learn a lot from it. Hopefully everything runs smoothly.”

With all the good that locals say they’re expecting — increased tourism, fresh dollars flowing into a struggling town, and regional and perhaps national attention — there comes with it accompanying stress and plenty of unknowns. Upward of 10,000 visitors are expected on some days of camp, and that leads to questions about parking, space and readiness as the project’s completion date approaches. About 3,500 parking spots will be available during Chiefs camp. About half of those will be in pay lots, $10 per car.

Across town, restaurants and hotels are preparing for all those people. One restaurant, the Tap Room Bar and Grill, added seating to its patio and relined the spots in its parking lot to maximize capacity, co-owner Bob Bledsoe said. It also added televisions to its dining room and has Chiefs’ banners and players’ jerseys on display.

But despite the preparations, Bledsoe said he’s still uncertain how reality will match expectations. Has the restaurant done enough? Too much? Bledsoe said it’s an exciting time, but it’s also nerve-racking.

“We don’t know what to expect,” he said. “I just tell our employees that we need to be ready. We assume that we’re going to be busy from 10 o’clock in the morning to 1:30 at night. But no one knows for sure.”

If town officials and business owners are eager to test their readiness and ability to accommodate thousands of new patrons, some locals aren’t so enthusiastic about the idea that, for nearly a month, St. Joseph won’t be such a quiet town. Some aren’t keen on restaurants being packed each night or the traffic that is expected around campus and on Belt Highway, one of the town’s main drags. Others weren’t crazy about the Griffon Indoor Complex, which some within the Chiefs organization jokingly call the “Big Barn” because of its size and resemblance to a barn, being built alongside Interstate 29.

But Rasmussen said those concerns have quieted as the summer begins and early construction projects begin to resemble a finished product. Interim athletic director Dan Nicoson said Crossland Construction has guaranteed all work will be finished by July 20.

For now, finishing touches are being made, and those who are invested in the project remain hopeful that the completed project will be what, years ago, so many envisioned it could be.

“The people up in St. Joe, they understand this is a big deal,” Thum said. “The economy up there has had a tough time.”

On a warm day near Missouri Western’s football stadium, Drew Grable, 24, loaded bricks on a platform and mixed mortar as others built part of the school’s and St. Joseph’s future.

“This ain’t the easiest job,” said Grable, a laborer from nearby Clarksdale.

Grable said he’s a lifelong Chiefs fan, and his father used to be a season-ticket holder before he died. Grable already has begun thinking about how he’ll introduce his own son, who’s due to be born in September, to the Chiefs and explain how Dad got his hands dirty on a project that so many expectations once rested on.

“To be around, to say you were a part of that, that’s pretty cool,” Grable said. “I think it’s pretty good for St. Joe. I think it’ll do something for us.”

Posted on Wed, Jun. 09, 2010 10:55 PM

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/06/09/2005500/st-joseph-prepares-for-spotlight.html#ixzz0qTNsHd5a

Art Vader
06-10-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm interested to hear why everyone dogs on St. Joe so much. I go to visit family every year and I don't think it's that bad.

bowener
06-10-2010, 12:38 PM
I hope it does. I have been hoping it would for a while now. My mom teaches at MWSU, so I hope this Chiefs thing gets their football program off the ground and into winning some championships, and gives the citizens of St. Joe something to get behind and be proud of. It would be kind of cool to see St. Joe become a college town. If they play their cards right they could make a ton of money off of the university, they just have to do everything they can to help it grow... the Chiefs camp was a great move in the right direction.

Pablo
06-10-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm interested to hear why everyone dogs on St. Joe so much. I go to visit family every year and I don't think it's that bad.BECAUSE THEY HATE THAT WE GOT DA GRIFFS BABY!!!!!

D-2 ROYALTY.

Pablo
06-10-2010, 12:39 PM
I hope it does. I have been hoping it would for a while now. My mom teaches at MWSU, so I hope this Chiefs thing gets their football program off the ground and into winning some championships, and gives the citizens of St. Joe something to get behind and be proud of. It would be kind of cool to see St. Joe become a college town. If they play their cards right they could make a ton of money off of the university, they just have to do everything they can to help it grow... the Chiefs camp was a great move in the right direction.What's yo ma teach? Might have been one of my profs..

Bill Lundberg
06-10-2010, 12:45 PM
BECAUSE THEY HATE THAT WE GOT DA GRIFFS BABY!!!!!

D-2 ROYALTY.

Check yourself Mr. PostRockPablo.

Signed,

Bobby Mother Effin' Bearcat

Pablo
06-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Check yourself Mr. PostRockPablo.

Signed,

Bobby Mother Effin' BearcatMax Griffon would beat the shit outta Bobby in a real fight. It'd be over in like a second son. We's getting a HUGE recruiting advantage with this dealio. I'm pretty stoked.

Bill Lundberg
06-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Max Griffon would beat the shit outta Bobby in a real fight. It'd be over in like a second son. We's getting a HUGE recruiting advantage with this dealio. I'm pretty stoked.

No doubt it should help your recruiting. Which will make it that much sweeter when Northwest kicks the shit out of Mo West for the next 5 years.

Blindside58
06-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Shouldn't the Banner say "Future training camp home of the" - KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
For some reason this is bugging me...Especially worded that way on a university campus...

InChiefsHell
06-10-2010, 12:51 PM
What's yo ma teach? Might have been one of my profs..

Don't answer dude...if it turns out he "had her" in class...well...pages and pages of hilarity will ensue...

Pablo
06-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Don't answer dude...if it turns out he "had her" in class...well...pages and pages of hilarity will ensue...LMAO

I was legitimately curious.

Does your mom teach Econ or English Lit? If not, the chances I "had her" in class are significantly diminished.

InChiefsHell
06-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Shouldn't the Banner say "Future training camp home of the" - KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
For some reason this is bugging me...Especially worded that way on a university campus...

You're right, it is written rather stupidly...

...maybe it says "Football" on the bottom where you can't see...as in "Future Training Camp of Chiefs Football". :shrug:

Pablo
06-10-2010, 12:56 PM
For some reason this is bugging me...Especially worded that way on a university campus...We're not the brightest at MWSU, but gosh darn it, people like us.

Demonpenz
06-10-2010, 01:12 PM
OH FUCK DUDE I WISH BOOMER GRIGSBY WAS AT WILEY'S I WOULD KNOCK HIM THE FUCK OUT AND DO A JAGARATTAMICCSLAMHOGANTEDEBASIE SHOT!

Demonpenz
06-10-2010, 01:13 PM
One of my good friends moved away to new york from st joe, his family moved to chicago, but there was a sister that died in st joe. The only thing the family kept saying to me is NEVER MOVE BACK.

Maryville is dumb btw. Their outback doesn't even have steak

Demonpenz
06-10-2010, 01:15 PM
We're not the brightest at MWSU, but gosh darn it, people like us.

the only people who like MWSU are the people in KC, people in st joe hate it because they weren't smart enough to go somewhere else, or they dropped out of MU from partying too hard. Northwest hates us. No one really cares about the other MIAA schools. I mean come on. "you'll go bannans for he gorillas?" That's weak sauce pitt state.

WEAK
SAUCE

Pablo
06-10-2010, 01:16 PM
OH FUCK DUDE I WISH BOOMER GRIGSBY WAS AT WILEY'S I WOULD KNOCK HIM THE FUCK OUT AND DO A JAGARATTAMICCSLAMHOGANTEDEBASIE SHOT!Saw a dude punch a girl outside of Wiley's on Memorial Day weekend. Then he tried to get in his car and take off and got dragged out and beat down.

Ah, quality St. Joe entertainment.

Baconeater
06-10-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm interested to hear why everyone dogs on St. Joe so much. I go to visit family every year and I don't think it's that bad.
I blame Demonpenz for that.

Demonpenz
06-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Saw a dude punch a girl outside of Wiley's on Memorial Day weekend. Then he tried to get in his car and take off and got dragged out and beat down.

Ah, quality St. Joe entertainment.

use this joke for me

that guy was giving me the "speedy's" eye...meaning he knows who I am but doesn't know my name...like he sees me refilling my drink at speedy's all the time.

Pablo
06-10-2010, 01:20 PM
I blame Demonpenz for that.He's from the dirty, dirty.

Even regular St. Joe people don't like South-Enders.

:D

Demonpenz
06-10-2010, 01:20 PM
I keep my shit tight in st joe. You see krug park?? That shit is clean!

Demonpenz
06-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Dorsey got lost trying to find the quick trip first day of camp

Reaper16
06-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Max Griffon would beat the shit outta Bobby in a real fight. It'd be over in like a second son. We's getting a HUGE recruiting advantage with this dealio. I'm pretty stoked.
Knowing the man who wears the Bobby Bearcat costume, I'd wager you're wring.

Iowanian
06-10-2010, 01:39 PM

It might not have steak, but it always had a meat market, and a herd of Doucher frat boys.

Bobby Bearcat would have martial relations with the Griffon against his will in the most unpleasant manner should they find themselves incarcerated in the same location.

Reaper16
06-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Oh yeah, FUCK A GRIFFON.

Pablo
06-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Oh yeah, FUCK A GRIFFON.Shit just got real.

Demonpenz
06-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Northwest to the big 10!

Reaper16
06-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Northwest to the big 10!
Academics, yo.

CoMoChief
06-10-2010, 02:33 PM
One of my good friends moved away to new york from st joe, his family moved to chicago, but there was a sister that died in st joe. The only thing the family kept saying to me is NEVER MOVE BACK.

Yeah I fell down some slippery beer-douched stairs at that bar. Broke my ****in ass.

Demonpenz
06-10-2010, 02:34 PM
You don't sound like the type that would be at that bar. good for you.

BigCatDaddy
06-10-2010, 02:45 PM
He's from the dirty, dirty.

Hey now, 238'er in the House!

Demonpenz
06-10-2010, 03:17 PM
SO MANY BITCHES ARE CRYING CAUSE I PARKED ONE IN MAJOR BRONCO AT HYDE 2. SOORRRR BITCH TAKE THAT CURVE BALL AND CRAM IT!

Pablo
06-10-2010, 03:22 PM
SO MANY BITCHES ARE CRYING CAUSE I PARKED ONE IN MAJOR BRONCO AT HYDE 2. SOORRRR BITCH TAKE THAT CURVE BALL AND CRAM IT!

Yeah well I ollied the gap between fords and sack n save once. OH YEAH that was lake ave I guess. Hard to tell when ur Tony hawkin it that high in the sky. Just like the PS1 disc I got from pizza hut when I was 11.

Demonpenz
06-10-2010, 03:27 PM
lawz lucky. Jacked that ps1 from electronics boutique

Nzoner
06-10-2010, 03:50 PM
He's from the dirty, dirty.

We were joking with some friends at the Mustangs game last night(it was Benton night) about them being Southsiders because they grew up in Hendrix Heights but to be a true 238'er you grew up in the Southend.

Pablo
06-10-2010, 03:52 PM
We were joking with some friends at the Mustangs game last night(it was Benton night) about them being Southsiders because they grew up in Hendrix Heights but to be a true 238'er you grew up in the Southend.I'll be out at the Mustangs game tomorrow night. Working.

They're actually a pretty good time.

Demonpenz
06-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Wes barnett signed my backbrace.

Nzoner
06-10-2010, 03:58 PM
I'll be out at the Mustangs game tomorrow night. Working.

They're actually a pretty good time.

Yeah,we have the same player living with us this year,you're gonna have to make one of the post-game parties at my place.

Pablo
06-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Yeah,we have the same player living with us this year,you're gonna have to make one of the post-game parties at my place.Sounds good to me.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-10-2010, 04:13 PM
I am saddened that GoChiefs will not be forced to spend weeks in St. Joe; we had discussed it with such anticipation.