PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Honest, but deranged, Dem tells truth. Wont ever make it

HonestChieffan
06-11-2010, 08:02 AM
The ObamaCare advocates have run circles around themselves to try to wordsmith out of the fact nationalized HC will lead to rationing and will have end of life limits. Now we have a Dem who actually speaks to it and explains the wonderful benefits of having the Govt pick who will die and how.

Senate candidate Maurice Ferre advocates capping Medicare spending on end-of-life care for elderly

By GEORGE BENNETT
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Updated: 10:51 p.m. Wednesday, June 9, 2010

WEST PALM BEACH Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Maurice Ferre says the U.S. spends an "absurd" amount on end-of-life care and should gradually move to a universal health system in which the government controls costs by setting prices for medical procedures and capping expenditures based on age and medical condition.

Speaking to The Palm Beach Post editorial board today, Ferre said he would have voted for the health care overhaul approved by Congress and signed by President Obama this year as "a step in the right direction." He later said the "Medicare-for-everyone" system he favors should be phased in over about 25 years.

Ferre, 75, is a former Miami mayor running a low-budget Democratic primary campaign against U.S. Rep. Kendrick Meek of Miami and Palm Beach billionaire Jeff Greene.

Answering a question about the long-term solvency of Social Security, Ferre said eventually raising the retirement age should be considered. He then went into a discussion of Medicare costs, saying a large amount of money typically is spent in the final three months of a person's life.

"I've already written in my will that I don't want you to go spending half a million dollars to keep me alive for three more months all tubed up with all kinds of liquids going in and out of my body and my mind slowly slipping away. It's a torture chamber," Ferre said.

"Now you say, well, that's a 'death panel.' Well, you know what, when you get to be 85 or 90 years old, you're going to die. And I'm sorry, you call it, Sarah Palin, what you want, but the fact is that it is absurd for us to be spending the types of money we're spending to extend life three months."

Asked what he'd do as a Senator to control such costs, Ferre said: "I would absolutely say that this is the cap on how much is available for you to spend at age 90, 87, with a heart condition of this sort, with diabetes of this sort, two legs missing and, you know, this is how much is available for you to spend. And you spend it any way you want."

He added: "My logic tells me that it is illogical to spend half a million dollars to extend a diabetic person who has two legs cut off, that we spend half a million dollars to tube up that person and extend their lives six months."

Amnorix
06-11-2010, 08:06 AM
While I'm not in favor of government making these decisions, there is absolutely no doubt that we overspend on end of life issues, and that we ALL pay for it, not just the family of the person reaching the end of their life.

I have no idea what the solution is, but the issue may well bankrupt/break Medicare, which is extremely unfortunate.

HonestChieffan
06-11-2010, 08:11 AM
Obama may have to push a law outlawing aging. Seems to be the most common answer to issues.

King_Chief_Fan
06-11-2010, 08:31 AM
While I'm not in favor of government making these decisions, there is absolutely no doubt that we overspend on end of life issues, and that we ALL pay for it, not just the family of the person reaching the end of their life.

I have no idea what the solution is, but the issue may well bankrupt/break Medicare, which is extremely unfortunate.

are you suggesting that we just let them die and save some money?

Would your grandmother be o.k. with that?

stevieray
06-11-2010, 08:34 AM
"no death panels"

uh huh.

kc rush
06-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Obama may have to push a law outlawing aging. Seems to be the most common answer to issues.

http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/1364827626193572.JPG?0.25409615200301483

Otter
06-11-2010, 08:54 AM

Tell ya what, I'm all in as soon as Obama and his government cronies start playing by the same rules they hold us to, on all fronts.

King_Chief_Fan
06-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Tell ya what, I'm all in as soon as Obama and his government cronies start playing by the same rules they hold us to, on all fronts.

good call.......how long and how much to keep Ted Kennedy going during his death sentence?

Amnorix
06-11-2010, 11:25 AM

My grandmothers, both fo them, are too dead to discuss the matter.

The issue here is what can the GOVERNMENT pay for. And the answer is, with every passing day, "less than yesterday".

You can't spent a million bucks to keep grandma going for another month unless it's YOUR million bucks, is the issue. If it's the government's, and everyone is doing it, then it's a big f'n problem. And that's what we have across the entire federal budget.

Again, I have no idea what the answer is. But the financial situation gets worse every day.

Amnorix
06-11-2010, 11:28 AM

One more thought -- the first thing is to let grandma die if she frigging wants to. Under the current system it's "NO!! You will live!!!!!" even if she wants to go out peacefully.

Brilliant!

HonestChieffan
06-11-2010, 11:29 AM
One more thought -- the first thing is to let grandma die if she frigging wants to. Under the current system it's "NO!! You will live!!!!!" even if she wants to go out peacefully.

Brilliant!

More unfounded hyperbole.

KC Dan
06-11-2010, 11:35 AM
The issue here is what can the GOVERNMENT pay for. And the answer is, with every passing day, "less than yesterday".

You can't spent a million bucks to keep grandma going for another month unless it's YOUR million bucks, is the issue. If it's the government's, and everyone is doing it, then it's a big f'n problem. And that's what we have across the entire federal budget.

Again, I have no idea what the answer is. But the financial situation gets worse every day.Yes, it does keep getting worse but we have no problem throwing $100k/yr pensions and cadillac health plans at gov't workers so why not elderly people too?

dirk digler
06-11-2010, 11:37 AM

Yep. I have posted the 60 minutes story about this and started a thread about it as well.

If anyone is truly interested again. Last year alone Medicare paid over $50 billion dollars during the last 2 months of people's lives.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/11/19/60minutes/main5711689.shtml

cdcox
06-11-2010, 11:40 AM

Again, I have no idea what the answer is. But the financial situation gets worse every day.

In reality, this is the case whether government is involved or not. End of life costs have to be contained. Private insurance will cover less and less of these costs too. Maybe you'll be able to buy a separate policy for end of life heroic measures that are unlikely to significantly extend quality life. But a policy like that will cost you a fortune unless you pay into it your whole life. You'd probably be happier spending that money on enjoying what life you have.

The other option is to pay for it out of pocket. I think I'd rather pass my wealth on to loved ones or a cause that I believed in rather than just giving it to doctors so I can live another 3 months where I spend most of that time in hospitals, visiting doctors, or sitting in a chair watching TV.

KC Dan
06-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Just think about all the money the gov't could save if they just cut off all health care past the age of 60! They are on the backslide of life anyhow. Give it all to the young, college grads and poverty stricken. The old have outlived their usefullness anyway.....

cdcox
06-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Just think about all the money the gov't could save if they just cut off all health care past the age of 60! They are on the backslide of life anyhow. Give it all to the young, college grads and poverty stricken. The old have outlived their usefullness anyway.....

Nobody is even close to saying that.

KC Dan
06-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Nobody is even close to saying that.sarcasm

FishingRod
06-11-2010, 11:57 AM
The Dead Collector: Bring out yer dead.
[a man puts a body on the cart]
Large Man with Dead Body: Here's one.
The Dead Collector: That'll be ninepence.
The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm not dead.
The Dead Collector: What?
Large Man with Dead Body: Nothing. There's your ninepence.
The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm not dead.
The Dead Collector: 'Ere, he says he's not dead.
Large Man with Dead Body: Yes he is.
The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm not.
The Dead Collector: He isn't.
Large Man with Dead Body: Well, he will be soon, he's very ill.
The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm getting better.
Large Man with Dead Body: No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment.
The Dead Collector: Well, I can't take him like that. It's against regulations.
The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I don't want to go on the cart.
Large Man with Dead Body: Oh, don't be such a baby.
The Dead Collector: I can't take him.
The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I feel fine.
Large Man with Dead Body: Oh, do me a favor.
The Dead Collector: I can't.
Large Man with Dead Body: Well, can you hang around for a couple of minutes? He won't be long.
The Dead Collector: I promised I'd be at the Robinsons'. They've lost nine today.
Large Man with Dead Body: Well, when's your next round?
The Dead Collector: Thursday.
The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I think I'll go for a walk.
Large Man with Dead Body: You're not fooling anyone, you know. Isn't there anything you could do?
The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I feel happy. I feel happy.
[the Dead Collector glances up and down the street furtively, then silences the Body with his a whack of his club]
Large Man with Dead Body: Ah, thank you very much.
The Dead Collector: Not at all. See you on Thursday.
Large Man with Dead Body: Right.

King_Chief_Fan
06-11-2010, 12:33 PM

sorry about that

mikey23545
06-11-2010, 12:36 PM

Brilliant!

How in the fuck could a lawyer have never heard of a "living will"?

Sweet Holy Moses...