PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Chris Matthews: Rise of the Right

cdcox
06-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Wednesday June 16, 7:00 EDT, 6:00 CDT on MSNBC

This is a documentary produced by Matthews about the various movements on the political right. Matthews spoke about it briefly on Charlie Rose last night. Tea Party, Birthers, and Militia movement. He notes that they are separate movements but they have some common characteristics. They all gather under the "Don't Tread on Me" flag.They view government as an occupying force. They speak about tyranny and the possible need to violently overthrow government. Sarah Palin knows how to stir up the emotions of people who identify with these groups.

Matthews definitely views this group with concern (especially the Birther and militia groups), but he is a good journalist and will present a fair picture of the broad movement. In the short clip he showed, he featured two upper-middle class women who were leaders of a major government-spending protest group.

I thinks this will be a worthwhile documentary. Tune in and we'll discuss afterwards.

mikey23545
06-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Matthews definitely views this group with concern (especially the Birther and militia groups), but he is a good journalist and will present a fair picture of the broad movement.

Wow...LMAO

Guru
06-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Mathews has his moments but he is still biased as hell.

headsnap
06-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Wow...LMAO
a tingle ran down my leg when I read that...:)

talastan
06-11-2010, 04:38 PM
a tingle ran down my leg when I read that...:)

Then like Matthews you need to quit pissing your pants. ;) JK headsnap

BucEyedPea
06-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Wednesday June 16, 7:00 EDT, 6:00 CDT on MSNBC

This is a documentary produced by Matthews about the various movements on the political right. Matthews spoke about it briefly on Charlie Rose last night. Tea Party, Birthers, and Militia movement. He notes that they are separate movements but they have some common characteristics. They all gather under the "Don't Tread on Me" flag.They view government as an occupying force. They speak about tyranny and the possible need to violently overthrow government. Sarah Palin knows how to stir up the emotions of people who identify with these groups.

Matthews definitely views this group with concern (especially the Birther and militia groups), but he is a good journalist and will present a fair picture of the broad movement. In the short clip he showed, he featured two upper-middle class women who were leaders of a major government-spending protest group.

I thinks this will be a worthwhile documentary. Tune in and we'll discuss afterwards.
Are you sure you're a Republican? Or "conservative" which you claimed?

The adjective "fair" is public relations so he can paint them as extremists. He'd have called George Washington, Tom Jefferson and Patrick Henry extremists too. He's a shill for the Establishment.

cdcox
06-11-2010, 06:15 PM
I say fair because the right has plenty of wackos and Matthews could certainly have focused exclusively on those. These women that were shown in the clip were articulate, affluent, and attractive and they were telling their own story. I'm sure there will be some wackos included in the documentary, but I'll bet even the most extreme opinion given in the documentary will have already been advanced by prominent members of this forum. What more fairness do you want?

Matthews has always given Palin credit for being a great politician. Even as the McCain handlers were blaming her for the '08 campaign going down in flames, Matthews was saying that she could not be written off for '12 and he hasn't backed away from that position.

Matthews has been very critical of Obama's handling of the BP spill.

He's liberal, and doesn't try to hide it. But he isn't Oberman, Maddow or Schultz. His political instincts are solid on both sides of the aisle. The reason he made the documentary is that he believes this movement is important.

Taco John
06-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Matthews is a Democrat. This is nothing but a film to tell other Democrats how they should think about the Tea Party movement. It's certainly not an attempt to be fair. It's an attempt to shape opinion and mold perspective.

headsnap
06-11-2010, 07:07 PM
The reason he made the documentary is that he believes this movement is important.

It's an attempt to shape opinion and mold perspective.

you both just said the exact thing in very different ways...

Ebolapox
06-11-2010, 07:15 PM
matthews wrote a great biography about richard nixon that I read years ago. aside from that, I don't pay too much attention to him or any other of the political pundits.

Taco John
06-11-2010, 07:19 PM
you both just said the exact thing in very different ways...

Oh I know. Except the reason that he made the documentary is because he fears the movement - that's the importance that he places on it. And that's why he wants to shape opinion and mold perspective, not in some attempt to be fair and shed light on the movement or its issues.

headsnap
06-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Oh I know. Except the reason that he made the documentary is because he fears the movement - that's the importance that he places on it. And that's why he wants to shape opinion and mold perspective, not in some attempt to be fair and shed light on the movement or its issues.

I got you the first time... ;)

cdcox
06-11-2010, 07:46 PM

I don't think you give enough credit for his love of pure politics. Today he mapped out how Palin's support of winning candidates in primaries was buying her political favors that she could ride to the Republican nomination, in the same way that Nixon did in 1968. He was discussing how she could win in Iowa, come in second in NH, win in SC, and then showdown with Romney in MI. He was very complimentary of her political acumen, even though he disagrees with her politics. He's a true scholar of politics, maybe unique among the current talking heads. Yes he's biased leftward, but he's still one of the best political analysts on TV.

stevieray
06-12-2010, 09:39 AM
..a true scholar of politics?

What a load of BS.. Maybe he could focus on how the Democratic party has been invaded by Progressives who now aren't afraid to say there is a plot to overthrow the country....

This is just more propoganda designed to keep the country's attention off the people who ACTUALLY yield power and have the ability to fundamentally transform our country, and who are taking steps to achieve that goal...

Calcountry
06-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Oh I know. Except the reason that he made the documentary is because he fears the movement - that's the importance that he places on it. And that's why he wants to shape opinion and mold perspective, not in some attempt to be fair and shed light on the movement or its issues.Matthews shouldn't fear the movement, he should just be afraid.

Calcountry
06-12-2010, 02:48 PM
..a true scholar of politics?

What a load of BS.. Maybe he could focus on how the Democratic party has been invaded by Progressives who now aren't afraid to say there is a plot to overthrow the country....

This is just more propoganda designed to keep the country's attention off the people who ACTUALLY yield power and have the ability to fundamentally transform our country, and who are taking steps to achieve that goal...Yep, they bow to Kings and piss off our friends. Can anyone say Great Britain?

Calcountry
06-12-2010, 02:49 PM
I don't think you give enough credit for his love of pure politics. Today he mapped out how Palin's support of winning candidates in primaries was buying her political favors that she could ride to the Republican nomination, in the same way that Nixon did in 1968. He was discussing how she could win in Iowa, come in second in NH, win in SC, and then showdown with Romney in MI. He was very complimentary of her political acumen, even though he disagrees with her politics. He's a true scholar of politics, maybe unique among the current talking heads. Yes he's biased leftward, but he's still one of the best political analysts on TV.Oh, and she is slowly losing the "dontcha youbetcha" twang on her accent.

googlegoogle
06-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Who would like to see Matthews hang by his balls?