PDA

View Full Version : Music New STP

Omaha
06-12-2010, 09:03 AM
I don't know if anyone on here likes Stone Temple Pilots, but I just picked up their new CD. It took a few listens, but it's pretty good. It's certainly their best in a LOOOOOONG time. I'd say it's their best since Tiny Music.

I feel like there are some pretty bad filler songs on there. They could have cut the 13 new songs to 9 & it would have been solid all the way through. However, 9 good songs is pretty good.

|Has anyone else heard it?

Red Brooklyn
06-12-2010, 09:24 AM
I have.

Only once, so far. I dug the first few tunes, but then it started to blend together for me. I wasn't very impressed (overall) upon first listen. Not terrible, but not great. I actually liked their last one a lot more. But I'm hoping it grows on me. Stuff like this usually does. And it's nice to have 'em back.

KCChiefsMan
06-12-2010, 09:25 AM
I hope it doesn't suck as bad as the last couple.

STP on heroin = GREAT
STP off heroin = Major suck

Red Brooklyn
06-12-2010, 09:28 AM
It doesn't touch their 1st three albums. But I wouldn't say it sucks. I need to listen to it a few more times.

KurtCobain
06-12-2010, 12:56 PM
I've heard better.

Omaha
06-12-2010, 03:49 PM
I have.

Only once, so far. I dug the first few tunes, but then it started to blend together for me. I wasn't very impressed (overall) upon first listen. Not terrible, but not great. I actually liked their last one a lot more. But I'm hoping it grows on me. Stuff like this usually does. And it's nice to have 'em back.

I think it'll grow on you. I wasn't impressed after the first or second listen, but I'm really digging it now.

Red Brooklyn
06-12-2010, 04:04 PM
I think it'll grow on you. I wasn't impressed after the first or second listen, but I'm really digging it now.
Good to hear. I want to like it, so I'll keep on spinning it.

I'm glad you're enjoying it.

BigMeatballDave
06-13-2010, 12:32 AM
I've only heard one song from it and it sounded like complete ass.

KurtCobain
06-13-2010, 12:56 AM
I'm not digging this one at all after a few more listens. More crap.

DaneMcCloud
06-13-2010, 12:24 PM
I think it's STP's best record to date.

The production is absolutely outstanding. It's very, very 70's influenced. Everything from Bowie, John Lennon, Aerosmith, Sweet and even Mott the Hoople. In a lot of ways, it's almost like a 70's tribute record.

Everyone that I know that digs that era of music absolutely loves the new STP record.

To each, his own.

Demonpenz
06-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Dane I think it sucks and I think you fucking suck.

Red Brooklyn
06-13-2010, 12:35 PM

The production is absolutely outstanding. It's very, very 70's influenced. Everything from Bowie, John Lennon, Aerosmith, Sweet and even Mott the Hoople. In a lot of ways, it's almost like a 70's tribute record.

Everyone that I know that digs that era of music absolutely loves the new STP record.

To each, his own.
I definately hear that. Good call.

And I love that era of music, but I actually find the influence to be a minus to the album rather than a plus.

DaneMcCloud
06-13-2010, 12:39 PM
I definately hear that. Good call.

And I love that era of music, but I actually find the influence to be a minus to the album rather than a plus.

That's who those guys are: A 70's influenced rock band.

Robert and Dean are HUGE 70's era music lovers, from Aerosmith (when they wrote their own songs) to Zep to AM radio hits (perfect example: Interstate Love Songs). And Weiland is a huge Bowie & Sid Barrett fan.

I saw STP back in the late 80's when they were playing the Sunset Strip under the name "Mighty Joe Young" and they were totally out of sorts, playing 70's influenced music at the time. Their first record Core was written just to get a record deal. They haven't mined that territory since 1991 because it's not who they are as a band.

They didn't even write or record this record in one studio. Robert wrote most of the music in his studio, Eric cut the drums in his studio and Weiland wrote and cut the vocals in his studio. That just goes to show that they're all on the same page, creatively speaking.

Red Brooklyn
06-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Absolutley. I actually don't like Core as much as the two that followed it. And I loved the shit out of Shangri-La-Di-Da. I would argue that No. 4 is a bit of a step in back toward Core... but that's neither here nor there.

I love the 70's influence on their previous records. I guess, for me, this album is just too similiar to those other artists. It's moving away from homage and into imitation. I don't hear a Bowie influence as much as a Bowie impression. I don't hear an Aerosmith influence as much as an Aerosmith impression.

It's not bad by any means. Just a little disappointing. In the past the band seemed to use those 70s influences as a base to launch from while still mixing in their own flavor. To me this is what made Tiny Music so interesting/dynamic. I guess this album feels a little more generic. But, again, I need to listen to it a few more times.

But they sound like they're having a blast and (as you said) are on the same page. Which is great. I love having something new from the band. Hopefully, we won't have to wait so long before the next one.

Omaha
06-14-2010, 07:54 AM

To each, his own.

OK, I thought it was just me. I think it's the 3rd track that sounds like it could actually be Aerosmith. It's bizarre.

Scott Weiland has a huge hard-on for Bowie so that was to be expected, but the chorus to Dare If You Dare has a melody that reminds me of All The Young Dudes by Bowie/Mott the Hoople.

I like it more every time I hear it, but Bagman & Fast As I Can still seem comically bad.

Red Brooklyn
06-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Okay. So I've listened to this thing all the way through a couple more times...

Not growing on me yet. I think it's safe to file it at the bottom of their cannon (for me).

If anyone cares (and why wouldn't you?!) here's how I'd rank 'em.

1. Purple
2. Tiny Music...
3. Shanrgi-La-Dee Da
4. Core
5. No. 4
6. Stone Temple Pilots

Detoxing
06-17-2010, 12:58 PM
I hope it doesn't suck as bad as the last couple.

STP on heroin = GREAT
STP off heroin = Major suck

Major THIS.

STP on Heroin is Rock & Roll hall of fame worthy.

Off Heroin is a fucking tragedy.

Omaha
06-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Okay. So I've listened to this thing all the way through a couple more times...

Not growing on me yet. I think it's safe to file it at the bottom of their cannon (for me).

If anyone cares (and why wouldn't you?!) here's how I'd rank 'em.

1. Purple
2. Tiny Music...
3. Shanrgi-La-Dee Da
4. Core
5. No. 4
6. Stone Temple Pilots

I'm really digging it. My list is just slightly different:

1. Purple
2. Stone Temple Pilots
3. Tiny Music...
4. Shanrgi-La-Dee Da
5. No. 4
6. Core

Red Brooklyn
06-17-2010, 04:15 PM
^ nice, Omaha.

Seems like our STP tastes are fairly similiar. Looks like just this new one that we really disagree on. I'm glad to see Purple at the top of another list. That album rocked my face of for the better part of a decade.

Great. Great album.

Omaha
06-18-2010, 08:00 AM
^ nice, Omaha.

Seems like our STP tastes are fairly similiar. Looks like just this new one that we really disagree on. I'm glad to see Purple at the top of another list. That album rocked my face of for the better part of a decade.

Great. Great album.

Yeah, Purple had so many classic songs on it... & not just the singles. That's one of my all-time favorites.

I saw them in 1992 when they were a "Buzz Bin" band on MTV. There were only a dozen people in the bar. Scott Weiland threw a Core cassette into the "crowd" of 5 or 6 people who had accumulated in front of the stage & I caught it. I still have it, but I never found any reason to buy it on CD. I really can't stand listening to that one anymore.

Red Brooklyn
06-18-2010, 08:30 AM
That's a fantastic story, Omaha!

I've never seen them live But I really wish that I had. Especially back in the day. Purple still gets plenty of rotation at my house. After that, I spin Tiny Music the most. I haven't listened to Core in a long time. Maybe I should revisit that one. For old times sake.

The last time I listened to it, I found myself gravitating away from the "hits" and more toward the weirder tracks.

CoMoChief
06-18-2010, 11:32 AM
There are only a few songs on the new album I like.

Red Brooklyn
06-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Me too. But I gotta admit... Hickory Dichotomy is catchy as fuck.

Omaha
06-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Me too. But I gotta admit... Hickory Dichotomy is catchy as ****.

Yeah, and my kids love Cinnamon. They want to hear it every time we get in the car.

Red Brooklyn
06-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Yeah, and my kids love Cinnamon. They want to hear it every time we get in the car.
That's awesome. At least you've got kids that want to listen to STP. That's a win.

Omaha
06-22-2010, 01:06 PM
That's awesome. At least you've got kids that want to listen to STP. That's a win.

When I get new music in my car I try to get them involved. We listen & I have them each pick a favorite song. They really get into it. "Play that one again" "Play the one that goes 'la, la, la...'" and that sort of thing. Before you know it, we all know the whole CD pretty well.

You're right. That is a big win. Music is a pretty big deal at my place. I played in bands all through college and we even recorded a few CDs. I now record at home & I try to get the boys involved with that. I let them sing along and then give them their own CD with them singing. That's a pretty big deal to them.

So... basically... no more 'Wheels on the Bus' for me = WIN!!!!

Red Brooklyn
06-22-2010, 01:09 PM
When I get new music in my car I try to get them involved. We listen & I have them each pick a favorite song. They really get into it. "Play that one again" "Play the one that goes 'la, la, la...'" and that sort of thing. Before you know it, we all know the whole CD pretty well.

You're right. That is a big win. Music is a pretty big deal at my place. I played in bands all through college and we even recorded a few CDs. I now record at home & I try to get the boys involved with that. I let them sing along and then give them their own CD with them singing. That's a pretty big deal to them.

So... basically... no more 'Wheels on the Bus' for me = WIN!!!!

:clap:

That sounds like a nice little set up, man. And congrats on no more Wheels on the Bus. :D