PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues Saudi Arabia gives Israel clear skies to attack Iranian nuclear sites

Donger
06-13-2010, 08:23 AM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article7148555.ece

Saudi Arabia has conducted tests to stand down its air defences to enable Israeli jets to make a bombing raid on Iran’s nuclear facilities, The Times can reveal.

In the week that the UN Security Council imposed a new round of sanctions on Tehran, defence sources in the Gulf say that Riyadh has agreed to allow Israel to use a narrow corridor of its airspace in the north of the country to shorten the distance for a bombing run on Iran.

To ensure the Israeli bombers pass unmolested, Riyadh has carried out tests to make certain its own jets are not scrambled and missile defence systems not activated. Once the Israelis are through, the kingdom’s air defences will return to full alert.

“The Saudis have given their permission for the Israelis to pass over and they will look the other way,” said a US defence source in the area. “They have already done tests to make sure their own jets aren’t scrambled and no one gets shot down. This has all been done with the agreement of the [US] State Department.”

Sources in Saudi Arabia say it is common knowledge within defence circles in the kingdom that an arrangement is in place if Israel decides to launch the raid. Despite the tension between the two governments, they share a mutual loathing of the regime in Tehran and a common fear of Iran’s nuclear ambitions. “We all know this. We will let them [the Israelis] through and see nothing,” said one.

The four main targets for any raid on Iran would be the uranium enrichment facilities at Natanz and Qom, the gas storage development at Isfahan and the heavy-water reactor at Arak. Secondary targets include the lightwater reactor at Bushehr, which could produce weapons-grade plutonium when complete.

The targets lie as far as 1,400 miles (2,250km) from Israel; the outer limits of their bombers’ range, even with aerial refuelling. An open corridor across northern Saudi Arabia would significantly shorten the distance. An airstrike would involve multiple waves of bombers, possibly crossing Jordan, northern Saudi Arabia and Iraq. Aircraft attacking Bushehr, on the Gulf coast, could swing beneath Kuwait to strike from the southwest.

Passing over Iraq would require at least tacit agreement to the raid from Washington. So far, the Obama Administration has refused to give its approval as it pursues a diplomatic solution to curbing Iran’s nuclear ambitions. Military analysts say Israel has held back only because of this failure to secure consensus from America and Arab states. Military analysts doubt that an airstrike alone would be sufficient to knock out the key nuclear facilities, which are heavily fortified and deep underground or within mountains. However, if the latest sanctions prove ineffective the pressure from the Israelis on Washington to approve military action will intensify. Iran vowed to continue enriching uranium after the UN Security Council imposed its toughest sanctions yet in an effort to halt the Islamic Republic’s nuclear programme, which Tehran claims is intended for civil energy purposes only. President Ahmadinejad has described the UN resolution as “a used handkerchief, which should be thrown in the dustbin”.

Israeli officials refused to comment yesterday on details for a raid on Iran, which the Prime Minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, has refused to rule out. Questioned on the option of a Saudi flight path for Israeli bombers, Aharaon Zeevi Farkash, who headed military intelligence until 2006 and has been involved in war games simulating a strike on Iran, said: “I know that Saudi Arabia is even more afraid than Israel of an Iranian nuclear capacity.”

In 2007 Israel was reported to have used Turkish air space to attack a suspected nuclear reactor being built by Iran’s main regional ally, Syria. Although Turkey publicly protested against the “violation” of its air space, it is thought to have turned a blind eye in what many saw as a dry run for a strike on Iran’s far more substantial — and better-defended — nuclear sites.

Israeli intelligence experts say that Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Jordan are at least as worried as themselves and the West about an Iranian nuclear arsenal.Israel has sent missile-class warships and at least one submarine capable of launching a nuclear warhead through the Suez Canal for deployment in the Red Sea within the past year, as both a warning to Iran and in anticipation of a possible strike. Israeli newspapers reported last year that high-ranking officials, including the former Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, have met their Saudi Arabian counterparts to discuss the Iranian issue. It was also reported that Meir Dagan, the head of Mossad, met Saudi intelligence officials last year to gain assurances that Riyadh would turn a blind eye to Israeli jets violating Saudi airspace during the bombing run. Both governments have denied the reports.

Chiefshrink
06-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Let's hope all this stays on the "up and up" if "push comes to shove":thumb:

redsurfer11
06-13-2010, 09:35 AM
One less competitor selling oil. If Iran turns into war, who sells all the oil? Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Russia? And the price goes up.

HonestChieffan
06-13-2010, 09:57 AM
We cant count on Obama, we have to count on the Israelis and thankfully they have a open path.

go bowe
06-13-2010, 01:47 PM
do you think that we will grant overflight rights in iraq?

or will the iraqi government, since they have to deal with the iranian backed shiites sooner or later?

vailpass
06-13-2010, 02:25 PM
The Saudis know it is far from their best interest to have a nuclear capable Iran. Iran's stone-age religious government system is a threat to modern society. I won't shed a single tear if Iran's nuclear development sites are bombed into oblivion and their military/government is eliminated with prejudice.

Bill Parcells
06-13-2010, 02:39 PM
We cant count on Obama, we have to count on the Israelis and thankfully they have a open path.

Maybe Obama will supply the Iranians with Patriot air defense systems around their nuke facilities? and pour in more aid for Hamas..lol

InChiefsHell
06-13-2010, 02:48 PM
All I can say is Holy Shit! This would be a really big deal...

ClevelandBronco
06-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Maybe Obama will supply the Iranians with Patriot air defense systems around their nuke facilities? and pour in more aid for Hamas..lol

Or maybe Obama has been playing this one like Michael Corleone might have. He appears to put distance between the U.S. government and Israel's, but he's really just turning his back and keeping his hands clean while they do what they think they have to do.

vailpass
06-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Or maybe Obama has been playing this one like Michael Corleone might have. He appears to put distance between the U.S. government and Israel's, but he's really just turning his back and keeping his hands clean while they do what they think they have to do.

God I'd like to believe that of obama. I 100% don't but I would sure like to.

HonestChieffan
06-13-2010, 03:35 PM

IF he is its still chickenshit. You don't walk away from your allies when they are under attack and go back and suck up later. I wouldn't trust him to have my back in any situation.

vailpass
06-13-2010, 03:59 PM
IF he is its still chickenshit. You don't walk away from your allies when they are under attack and go back and suck up later. I wouldn't trust him to have my back in any situation.

At least it would show the spineless prick has some sort of cunning, some sort of idea that involved strength and guile.
He has none. obama is a big bowl of jello poured into an empty suit and married to a sasquatch.

go bowe
06-13-2010, 04:51 PM
IF he is its still chickenshit. You don't walk away from your allies when they are under attack and go back and suck up later. I wouldn't trust him to have my back in any situation.oh c'mon...

you wouldn't trust him to have your front, either...

go bowe
06-13-2010, 04:52 PM
At least it would show the spineless prick has some sort of cunning, some sort of idea that involved strength and guile.
He has none. obama is a big bowl of jello poured into an empty suit and married to a sasquatch.hey, what have you got against sasquatch women?

alpha_omega
06-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Wouldn't this be best kept quiet until go time?!?!

KC native
06-13-2010, 07:21 PM
does this surprise anyone? SA has said for awhile they wouldn't interfere if Israel were to attack Iran. If SA wasn't worried about the fallout from their own very religious population they would attack themselves.

Hog Farmer
06-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Good, I've got 50 grand riding on the price of oil going up anticipating an airstrike on Iran.

BucEyedPea
06-13-2010, 08:56 PM
The Question Man must be beside himself with joy!
I don't approve. Nor would Reagan approve since he scolded Israel behind the scenes for nuking Iraq's.
I think it's BS they have a nuke too.

The Mad Crapper
06-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Git 'er done

http://www2.gmu.edu/org/israel/assets/Animated-Flag-Israel.gif

go bowe
06-13-2010, 11:09 PM
Git 'er done

http://www2.gmu.edu/org/israel/assets/Animated-Flag-Israel.gifi thought you were banned...

how'd you get back so fast?

The Mad Crapper
06-13-2010, 11:11 PM
i thought you were banned...

The Mad Crapper has kryptonite!

ROFL

go bowe
06-13-2010, 11:22 PM
The Mad Crapper has kryptonite!

ROFLi thought that stuff was green...

T-post Tom
06-14-2010, 01:16 AM

Wow, only 3 posts...

Bill Parcells
06-14-2010, 02:18 AM
i thought you were banned...

The power of fecal matter has a strange influence on people

ROFL

The Mad Crapper
06-14-2010, 05:56 AM
BUH-BYE MISTER POTATO HEAD!

ROYC75
06-14-2010, 08:56 AM

When it all hits the fan, will Obama back Isreal as we should or will he just sit back and say, I knew you could do it with out us. What if it all turns sour, what will Obo do ?

ROYC75
06-14-2010, 08:59 AM
Wouldn't this be best kept quiet until go time?!?!

One would think so , but now a days,I guess it's best to tell the world what you will do to get it's approval.

ClevelandBronco
06-14-2010, 10:03 AM
When it all hits the fan, will Obama back Isreal as we should or will he just sit back and say, I knew you could do it with out us. What if it all turns sour, what will Obo do ?

"It all hits the fan" then "it all turns sour?"

Those are pretty nebulous scenarios you're asking me to base my wild ass guess on.

blaise
06-14-2010, 10:08 AM
This is unnecessary. If we all post in green the Iranians will soon be overwhelmed and stop all nuclear development.

|Zach|
06-14-2010, 10:11 AM

Those are pretty nebulous scenarios you're asking me to base my wild ass guess on.

ROFL

ROYC75
06-14-2010, 11:42 AM

Your original comment was something I once pondered, is Obo taking a wait and see approach ?

But like most of his decisions, IMHO, he assumes most of what he is doing is right,that is according to his left. But the left is so far left, even he is right of them and it makes them unhappy.

BTW, we have no room for anymore gas around here, Zach keeps gassed up.

vailpass
06-14-2010, 11:47 AM
This is unnecessary. If we all post in green the Iranians will soon be overwhelmed and stop all nuclear development.

:D

Pants
06-14-2010, 01:10 PM
I've been saying all along we just need to unleash Israel upon Iran. Israel does not fuck around.

Otter
06-14-2010, 01:17 PM
I'm not sure where I stand on this issue but Iran threatening to wipe Israel off the map wasn't very smart if they don't want a fight.

I can't see anything good coming out of a war between the two. Iran's citizens don't deserve to pay for the words of an idiot most of them are desperately trying to overthrow. If there's any action Israel has become better at than any other nation on earth it's assassination. Go for the head of the snake and take out Ahmadinejad with a trickle down effect as needed.

But if I had to guess that's Israel's plan A. Their not stupid enough to get stuck in rebuilding a nation like our inept government by trying to govern a war by the same "gentleman" rules of 1800s.

EDIT: fixing grammar from interruption while typing

ROYC75
06-14-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure where I stand on this issue but Iran threatening to wipe Israel off the map wasn't very smart if they don't want a fight.

I can't see anything good coming out of a war between the two Iran's citizens of Iran don't deserve to pay for the words of an idiot most of them are desperately trying to overthrow.

If there's any action Israel has become better at than any other nation on earth it's assassination. Go for the head of the snake and take out Ahmadinejad with a trickle down effect as needed.

But if I had to guess that's Israel's plant A. Their not stupid enough to get stuck in rebuilding a nation like our inept government by trying to govern a war by the same "gentleman" rules of 1800s.

Israel would not rebuild Iran, they would look at Iran and say, "Game over " . It's time for you to regroup or rebuild, it's your option.

|Zach|
06-14-2010, 01:25 PM
BTW, we have no room for anymore gas around here, Zach keeps gassed up.

Yes. This.