PDA

View Full Version : Computers Partition Help

Tylerthigpen!1!
06-13-2010, 03:05 PM
So my mom has a Sony Vaio that has a partitioned hard drive. The C drive is where the OS is and it is almost filled. However the D drive still has like 80 gigs open. Could I just use gparted or something similiar to expand the C drive onto the D? Would it be that simple? I'm not too savvy with the technical side of computers, so sorry in advance if this post sounds like it was written by your 9 year old daughter.

Mr. Laz
06-13-2010, 03:09 PM
i dont' know about gpart but you can with Partition Magic

a few things though

make sure your recovery info isn't on the D: partition and will get messed up

easiest thing to do is probably empty D: and then delete it and then just expand C: to take the whole thing

or you could find storage type data, like photos,documents etc and free up space on C: by making D: the storage partition

Fish
06-13-2010, 03:16 PM

or you could find storage type data, like photos,documents etc and free up space on C: by making D: the storage partition

This. Just move all data other than system and program files to the D: drive and leave the partitions alone.. Repartitioning on the fly is kinda dangerous depending on the age and health of the drive.

Tylerthigpen!1!
06-13-2010, 05:17 PM
This. Just move all data other than system and program files to the D: drive and leave the partitions alone.. Repartitioning on the fly is kinda dangerous depending on the age and health of the drive.

I've already moved the photos and whanot over. I have no idea what is taking up so much space. Whenever she installs a program, it goes on the d drive.

Mr. Laz
06-13-2010, 07:59 PM
I've already moved the photos and whanot over. I have no idea what is taking up so much space. Whenever she installs a program, it goes on the d drive.
if programs install to the D: drive then why is the C: drive filling up?

you can do a file search with the box empty so that it finds "everything" but then in the advanced search options you put a minimum files size of like 1 gig or something.

The computer will search C: drive for every file above 1 gig and give results. You can see if there is something screwy. The is a java file (i forget the name) that can get "stuck" and just keep growing and not emptying. Happened to me once and the dam thing was 5 gigs big or something.