PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Haley counting on linebackers to improve

Tribal Warfare
06-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Haley counting on linebackers to improve (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/06/13/2015261/haley-counting-on-linebackers.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Todd Haley was trying to think of something Sunday that encouraged him about last year’s group of linebackers. It was one of the Chiefs’ most glaring weaknesses at a particularly important position, and the many transitions that Haley and his assistants required didn’t always translate into pretty play.

“One of the hardest-working groups,” Haley said finally. “They busted their butts.”

That’s like saying a blind date had a terrific personality. The Chiefs’ linebackers were unimpressive most times, lacking talent, confidence, chemistry and experience. And it often showed.

Derrick Johnson struggled with injuries and confusion as to why he was demoted from the starting lineup. Tamba Hali, a converted defensive end, proved he was still a promising pass rusher but showed his inexperience in coverage and occasionally forgot his assignments. Corey Mays filled in after Zach Thomas was cut during the preseason and was solid but hardly spectacular. The linebacker most familiar with the 3-4 scheme, Mike Vrabel, turned 34 before the season and began to show some signs of slowing.

On and on it went, and Haley admitted Sunday that this year’s group of linebackers must avoid individual shortcomings, because too often in 2009 they became team-wide concerns.

“If one guy doesn’t do his job, that’s a problem,” Haley said. “They have to understand that they have to be doing their job, and then it comes down to: Can they do it well enough? Do they have the talent to do it well enough, to be part of a really good defense?”

Because the Chiefs will play this season with mostly the same linebacker personnel as in 2009, the team has a good idea of its skill potential. Kansas City drafted Cameron Sheffield in the fifth round, but despite the need, the linebacker position has so far gone largely untouched. Now the Chiefs have to count on comfort, improved experience and maybe luck to overcome a roster that lacks intimidating names. Haley said there’s not much room for error regarding the linebackers, and whether it’s karma or clean living that attracts it, Kansas City needs some things to go its way.

“It’s a learning curve,” Haley said. “They must improve.”

Few players endured as steep a learning curve last season as outside linebackers Hali and Andy Studebaker, both of whom moved from end. Hali has said he wasn’t proud of his first months in the new position, but his team-high 8 ½ sacks helped overshadow his deficiencies.

Studebaker said Sunday that he decided early to stay close to Vrabel, who won three Super Bowls with New England and played outside linebacker for years in the 3-4. Studebaker asked Vrabel for tips and advice, and the veteran was glad to share them. After a while, what once looked like a grueling transition became second nature, helping him grab two interceptions in an unlikely win against Pittsburgh.

“It’s like learning a language when you’re a little kid,” Studebaker said. “You don’t remember when you started learning it, but all you know is you’re able to do it.”

For months last season, it didn’t seem as if Johnson and the Chiefs’ coaches were speaking the same language. Johnson, a former first-round pick, was benched during the preseason and didn’t regain his starting job. The team doubted then that Johnson was practicing with maximum effort, and by the time he got the message, Demorrio Williams had a grip on what used to be Johnson’s job at inside linebacker.

A year later, things have changed. Johnson has been practicing recently with the first-team defense, though Haley has said the depth chart is hardly decided.

“He’s invested fully. He’s been in here. He’s stepped it up,” Haley said of Johnson. “He knows he has to be better for us to be better.”

So there are plenty of things that the Chiefs are uncertain about, regardless of the promising signs through the offseason. Haley said the team would take some good fortune when it came to its linebackers, anything that helps an unreliable unit take a step toward being dependable.

“We need things to go right,” Haley said. “You can’t fix everything from outside. You’ve got to develop, and guys have to get better.”

chiefs1111
06-13-2010, 10:34 PM
a year later and the LB's are still lacking talent.

kcfan82
06-13-2010, 10:35 PM
"Haley counting on linebackers to improve "

I would be to if I didn't draft any. It should say his job is counting on them to improve.

KCrockaholic
06-13-2010, 10:41 PM
If he starts DJ and Belcher/Williams in the middle we should be ok. He we start Mays/Williams, I don't expect anything good to happen. Although DJ is inconsistent, he atleast gives our defense high risk, high reward ability. Mays/Williams together gives nothing. Not even high reward. Just high risk, low reward.

philfree
06-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Does DJ have to start for him to be a big contributor? I think if utilized correctly he can make more big plays like he did late last season. He doesn't have to play every down on D to do that. If he can bbecome an every down player that's great but I don't think he has to for the Chiefs D to improve. Just put him in a position to make plays when he's on the field. Why do I feel like that's going to happen? I kinda do. :homer:

PhilFree:arrow:

lostcause
06-14-2010, 12:59 AM
The sad thing is that Johnson is still the most talented LB we have

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-14-2010, 02:49 AM
What we're forgetting is DJ and the rest of our Defense haven't had a decent coach until now in Crennel. DJ will have a solid if not great year this year.

1) Crennel
2) He's motivated
3) contract year

BossChief
06-14-2010, 02:57 AM
You know how to improve your linebackers?

Start the best ones.

Hali
Belcher
DJ
Studabaker

that was easy

salame
06-14-2010, 03:05 AM
I find it interesting that Belcher is a MLB since he was a DE in college
I know it's a size thing but it seems like that would be a tough change to make mentally.

but on a side not he has a bad ass mouth piece

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/223657/46-chiefscamp_sp_080609_dre_0925f.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

ForeverChiefs58
06-14-2010, 08:13 AM
As I started reading this I had to check for a date and make sure it wasn't from last year, esp. when they brought up Zach Thomas.

MahiMike
06-14-2010, 08:46 AM
What we're forgetting is DJ and the rest of our Defense haven't had a decent coach until now in Crennel. DJ will have a solid if not great year this year.

1) Crennel
2) He's motivated
3) contract year

Exactly. This is one area of the team that will rely mainly on coaching changes.

jspchief
06-14-2010, 10:56 AM

1) Crennel
2) He's motivated
3) contract yearDJ's problem last year is he was lost. He did not do well picking up the new scheme. Hopefully better coaching and another off-season will help that. I think he has the physical tools to be a very good NFL LB. I'm just not sure he's been used to his strengths yet.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-14-2010, 12:15 PM
ROR wishes Babb would improve (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/06/13/2015261/haley-counting-on-linebackers.html)*By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

*Or Die In Fire.

RustShack
06-14-2010, 12:31 PM
I find it interesting that Belcher is a MLB since he was a DE in college
I know it's a size thing but it seems like that would be a tough change to make mentally.

but on a side not he has a bad ass mouth piece

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/223657/46-chiefscamp_sp_080609_dre_0925f.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

Belcher was a LB for 2 years and a DE for 2 years.

KCDC
06-14-2010, 03:07 PM
I think Babb could write a piece every day that is headlined "Haley Counting on ____ to Improve."

Insert:

QB
OL
DL
special teams
LB
safeties
WRs

heck, we could improve play at every position.

It's just lazy reporting ... but then, what else is there to write about when nothing is happening but fans, players and coaches fantasizing about things are going to be better?