PDA

View Full Version : Video Games GameStop listing suggests $150 price for Kinect and other tidbits

Guru
06-15-2010, 02:26 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/14/gamestop-listing-suggests-150-price-for-kinect/

The Kinect (http://www.joystiq.com/tag/kinect) price has remained elusive, even after Microsoft's E3 keynote, but a new GameStop listing predicts (http://www.gamestop.com/browse/search.aspx?N=0&Ntk=TitleKeyword&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=kinect) a MSRP of $150 for the product itself -- $299 when included with an Arcade console and $399 with an Elite console. Even Kinect Adventures! and Kinect Sports are priced on the retailer's site: $60 each. It's as if a million gamers cringed and were suddenly disinterested.

It's hardly confirmation of Microsoft's intended price point for the device, but the $150 price point (along with the proposed bundle packages) corroborates a rumor we reported on late last month (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/26/rumor-project-natal-priced-at-150-dollars/). We've got troops on the ground at Microsoft's post-keynote session and will try to find out what we can. We'll keep you posted.

Update: Microsoft has told us at the Xbox 360 roundtable this afternoon that they don't plan to announce a Kinect price officially this week at E3.

Funny, but I kind of expect the current Arcade and Elite consoles to be gone by November so these bundles are probably irrelevant. Unless, of course, Elite means the new Slim model and Arcade means the new Arcade that hasn't been announced yet. $60 for the games is laughable.

Buck
06-15-2010, 02:37 AM
Shit I won't be buying for $500 Alex.

Guru
06-15-2010, 02:51 AM
I would have considered it for my younger kids but not at those prices. The games aren't worth $20 and the hardware shouldn't be priced higher than $99 and thats pushing it.

Silock
06-15-2010, 03:28 AM
That's ridiculous.

Makes me more and more glad I just built a gaming PC.

MoreLemonPledge
06-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Gamestop has a history of just putting random pricing on items until they get they get an actual number. Nothing to see here.

Cave Johnson
06-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Gamestop has a history of just putting random pricing on items until they get they get an actual number. Nothing to see here.

a) That's an rawsome picture, and

b) I've seen that price from other sources. I think it's supposed to be bundled with 6 games (although I'm not sure if Adventure or Sports are included).

Dicky McElephant
06-15-2010, 01:54 PM
No thanks....I already bought a Wii.

MoreLemonPledge
06-15-2010, 02:54 PM
No thanks....I already bought a Wii.

Completely different experience.

Guru
06-15-2010, 03:59 PM

Gamestop isn't the only source. This has been brought out by several over the past month. generally, where there is smoke there is fire.

Pants
06-15-2010, 04:02 PM
I wouldn't get that shit if it was $50. It's simply not something I foresee ever using.

kysirsoze
06-15-2010, 04:07 PM
That's about what I figured it would be. The games are a little high at 60, though.

Guru
06-15-2010, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't get that shit if it was $50. It's simply not something I foresee ever using.

I have an 8, 6 and 2 year old that would probably really enjoy this but not at that price. That is not a price that will pull in "casual gamers" at all.

Param
06-15-2010, 04:35 PM
That is steep, and pretty much everyone is getting that price from gamestop. I actually think it looks like a lot of fun, but I hope it's not $150.

Buck
06-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Looks like its a little more expansive, but I think the Playstation Move looks cooler. Not only that, but its $80 if you already have an PS3 Eye, and if you don't then you can find one of those used and cheap online ($25 on ebay).

Buck
06-15-2010, 06:25 PM
I'll just say that the Playstation Move is pretty much Wii in High Definition, which is one major thing the Wii is lacking.

Param
06-15-2010, 07:45 PM
I'll just say that the Playstation Move is pretty much Wii in High Definition, which is one major thing the Wii is lacking.

I think Kinect has a ton of potential because it's totally unique, whereas move is the wii on steroids. Problem with move is that well wii has been doing this for years and they have that market cornered.

Nintendo was all about 3DS this E3 imo, I would like to see real video of it being used.

Guru
06-15-2010, 08:41 PM
I can see the benefits of both Move and Kinect. I could easily see my wife and younger kids loving Kinect while my oldest and myself might enjoy Move depending on how it is implemented in games. I still have a hard time seeing FPS play with it though.

Psyko Tek
06-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Looks like its a little more expansive, but I think the Playstation Move looks cooler. Not only that, but its $80 if you already have an PS3 Eye, and if you don't then you can find one of those used and cheap online ($25 on ebay).

hell, I have a PS2 eyetoy
that makes games less fun
but entertains my 11 year old

Buck
06-15-2010, 08:53 PM
hell, I have a PS2 eyetoy
that makes games less fun
but entertains my 11 year old

Yeah, but this isn't just the Eye, its the motion controllers too. Its pretty much a Wii (even though it uses different technology).

Pants
06-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Damn $150 for the add on...it had better be worlds better than a wii when it costs as much as a wii system(almost).

phillip
06-16-2010, 09:10 AM

Even though I have an Eye, that makes Move $160 for two players. And there's no way I'd probably ever use it by myself. For multiplayer, $150 for Kinect will be cheaper than Move.

Guru
11-02-2010, 11:42 PM
So who is actually going to buy this thing?

My middle son is already bugging me about it and I keep telling him, you don't play the Wii, you are already bored with Move and yet somehow you think you won't get bored with Kinect?

Bump
11-02-2010, 11:56 PM
$150 was always the price. It's going to be fucking gay and I bet it won't work properly. It's a gimmic that Microsoft's expert team of suits that never played video games before sat at the table and said "We need something to compete with the Nintendo Wii."

and that's all it is. It's like when you see your favorite pizza place add sandwiches or shitty pastas to their menu and they suck! But you know they are only doing it to "compete" with other non-pizza restaurants.

GTFO with your stupid ass Kinect.

Pants
11-03-2010, 09:01 AM
$150 was always the price. It's going to be ****ing gay and I bet it won't work properly. It's a gimmic that Microsoft's expert team of suits that never played video games before sat at the table and said "We need something to compete with the Nintendo Wii."

and that's all it is. It's like when you see your favorite pizza place add sandwiches or shitty pastas to their menu and they suck! But you know they are only doing it to "compete" with other non-pizza restaurants.

GTFO with your stupid ass Kinect.

****ing this.

True story: my GF's mom was asking me last night about the 360 and Kinect because she heard there was a "cool" dancing game for it (she loves to dance, I guess). That, my friends, is exactly what the retards at M$ wanted.

Kinect will never be anything but a gimmick aimed at luring the very young and the older into the market. 360 is trying to push it to the limit where you don't need any "confusing controllers" at all, you just use your goddamn hands.

Buck
11-03-2010, 09:03 AM
****ing this.

True story: my GF's mom was asking me last night about the 360 and Kinect because she heard there was a "cool" dancing game for it (she loves to dance, I guess). That, my friends, is exactly what the retards at M$ wanted.

Kinect will never be anything but a gimmick aimed at luring the very young and the older into the market. 360 is trying to push it to the limit where you don't need any "confusing controllers" at all, you just use your goddamn hands.

So you're not looking forward to this?

http://bumped.org/tek/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/kinectimals.jpg

Pants
11-03-2010, 09:06 AM
So you're not looking forward to this?

http://bumped.org/tek/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/kinectimals.jpg

ROFFEL

ddrouillard
11-03-2010, 09:32 AM
I paid 168 tax and all. At gamestop.

ddrouillard
11-03-2010, 09:36 AM
I figure eventually it will give us 3d shooter games where you just buy a gun. Similar to the Wii. (Except Wii is not 3D). I have a Wii and it has collected dust. I almost put out a window bowling with the Wii. I guess I didnt have the little strap around my wrist. lol

Lzen
11-03-2010, 10:04 AM
I figure eventually it will give us 3d shooter games where you just buy a gun. Similar to the Wii. (Except Wii is not 3D). I have a Wii and it has collected dust. I almost put out a window bowling with the Wii. I guess I didnt have the little strap around my wrist. lol

LOL, that's why I always hammer in my kids' heads to put on that damn strap. I may be less a kid or two if they ever forget to do that and bust my HDTV.

DBOSHO
11-03-2010, 10:27 AM
I paid 168 tax and all. At gamestop.

Let us know how it is. Im thinking about getting it.

Demonpenz
11-03-2010, 10:34 AM
I am leaning hard to get it. that with the dashboard update. No need for a dumb wii

ddrouillard
11-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Let us know how it is. Im thinking about getting it.

No problem. I pick it up tomorrow and Ill probably get some type of sports game. Ill let you know what I think and Im sure my kids will have an opinion as well.

DBOSHO
11-03-2010, 07:56 PM
I think some of the games would be fun, but im more interested in the other functions like voice recognition and stuff like that

I would love a realistic tennis game. Theres so many possibilities with kinect if it proves its not just a gimmick

Demonpenz
11-03-2010, 09:57 PM
no more remote!