PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV What are the scariest films for teenagers?

Guru
06-16-2010, 01:22 AM
My 14 yo is going through a "Scary movie" kick.

What are some good films for his age range.

QuikSsurfer
06-16-2010, 01:33 AM
The Omen (original),The Exorcist, The Thing, The Ring, Jacob's Ladder..

really teeny horror : Scream collection, I know what You did last summer, hellraiser I and II...

Buck
06-16-2010, 01:36 AM
Alien, Dawn of the Dead, Demon Knight, The Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness.

Buck
06-16-2010, 01:39 AM
Saw, The Blair Witch Project, The Shining

Guru
06-16-2010, 01:46 AM
I have been thinking about The Exorcist just because every movie he watches he laughs at. I don't think I have even seen him squirm a little bit.

Not sure if Exorcist might be too much though. heh

Tribal Warfare
06-16-2010, 02:05 AM
the original Candyman with Tony Todd, Silence of the Lambs, Tales from the Darkside movie, and Jeepers Creepers

ChiefJustice
06-16-2010, 02:25 AM
Midnight Express

That should keep him off the drugs...

mlyonsd
06-16-2010, 09:20 AM
NFL Films 2008 Kansas City Chiefs

thecoffeeguy
06-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Event Horizon was pretty freaky.
Hellraiser, Nightmare on Elmstreet, the original.
Friday the 13th.

Exorcist
The Shining

OmahaChief
06-16-2010, 09:35 AM
I would suggest a child birth video we had to watch in High School or the one we watched in parenting class. Some of the most horrific stuff I have ever seen.

Nzoner
06-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Midnight Express

Although a great movie if you want to scare the living hell out of a teen in regards to ever experimenting with drugs...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lgo3Hb5vWLE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lgo3Hb5vWLE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Nzoner
06-16-2010, 09:48 AM
For just good horror,I'd suggest the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre(still my fav to this day).Here's a nice tribute video which includes scenes from the film.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pXIsaaNsHV4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pXIsaaNsHV4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Pants
06-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Midnight Express

Trainspotting and Requiem for A Dream are pretty good cases to stay off heroin as well.

Great Expectations
06-16-2010, 11:01 AM
The Shining or the original Texas Chain Saw Masacre FTW

Close behind, Scream, I know what you did last summer, and Silence of the Lambs (best movie, but not the scariest).

Short Leash Hootie
06-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Saw III is the most disgusting movie I've ever seen...I can't even look at how gruesome that shit is...

Deberg_1990
06-16-2010, 11:25 AM
My 14 yo is going through a "Scary movie" kick.

What are some good films for his age range.

Splice? ROFL

Gadzooks
06-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Poltergeist and American Werewolf in London.

Otter
06-16-2010, 03:41 PM
I have been thinking about The Exorcist just because every movie he watches he laughs at. I don't think I have even seen him squirm a little bit.

Let him sit through "Jacob's Ladder" and/or "The Serpent and the Rainbow" in a dark room late at night and see if he still laughs. That would be impressive.

"Jacob's Ladder" is the more disturbing of the two IMHO.

:D

Otter
06-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Trainspotting and Requiem for A Dream are pretty good cases to stay off heroin as well.

"Requiem for a Dream" is one of my favorite movies. I only get in the mood to watch about once a year but damn good movie. And yes, disturbing on multiple levels.

Taco John
06-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Show him Nightmare on Elm Street III.

bevischief
06-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Any movie was marriage in it.

Dicky McElephant
06-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Saw III is the most disgusting movie I've ever seen...I can't even look at how gruesome that shit is...

Fucking pussy. The Saw movies aren't gruesome at all.

Deberg_1990
06-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Have him watch "The Strangers" with all the lights out.
Posted via Mobile Device

kysirsoze
06-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Have him watch "The Strangers" with all the lights out.
Posted via Mobile Device

This. I thought this movie was scary as hell. Mainly, because, unlike, most horror movies, the victims acted in mostly reasonable and cautious ways. It's scarier when you can't say, "Oh, bullshit. I would have done (this) and (that). These people are morons."

Also, I thought "The Ring" is pretty scary. A good film, too. Not "The Ring 2," though. That was atrocious.

The Zack Snyder "Dawn of the Dead" is scary and fun. Pretty gory, though. Not sure how far you're willing to go with that.

Gadzooks
06-16-2010, 07:16 PM
BTW - I saw Poltergeist and American Werewolf in London when I was around 7 or 8. They both ****ed me up pretty good. I'm not sure if they would have a few years later.
Looking back, this kind of thing makes me wonder: WTF was wrong with my parents.:shake:

Guru
06-16-2010, 10:39 PM
BTW - I saw Poltergeist and American Werewolf in London when I was around 7 or 8. They both ****ed me up pretty good. I'm not sure if they would have a few years later.
Looking back, this kind of thing makes me wonder: WTF was wrong with my parents.:shake:Poltergeist is one of my all time favorites but I don't think it aged well at all. I don't see it scaring people anymore.

Tribal Warfare
06-17-2010, 04:29 AM
Poltergeist is one of my all time favorites but I don't think it aged well at all. I don't see it scaring people anymore.

another good one is The Lost Boys

Fruit Ninja
06-17-2010, 04:50 AM

Not sure if Exorcist might be too much though. heh

He will be alrght. if its to much, just shut it down and right after put on a good comedy he will like, it will help.

Detoxing
06-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Much easier to make this list for a girl than it is a boy.

And there is a huge difference between cool and scary for a 14 y/o.

Cool Boy flicks:

House of 1,000 Corpses
Rob Zombie's version of Halloween
The latest version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
30 Days of Night
Dawn of the Dead
Cloverfield
The Ruins
The Descent
The Feast

Movies that might scare the boy when he goes to sleep

Paranormal Activity
The Ring
The Blair Witch Project
The Excorcism of Emily Rose
The Strangers

notorious
06-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Army of Darkness.

The perfect movie, but not scary. LMAO

notorious
06-17-2010, 12:29 PM
A movie called Saturn 3 scared the fuck out of me when I was 4-5.

It had Kirk Douglas, Farrah Fawcett, and Harvey Keitel!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079285/

Frosty
06-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Much easier to make this list for a girl than it is a boy.

And there is a huge difference between cool and scary for a 14 y/o.

Cool Boy flicks:

House of 1,000 Corpses
Rob Zombie's version of Halloween

I guess I have different views on this but I guess I really don't consider those appropriate for a 14 y/o. 16 - 18 maybe.

Detoxing
06-17-2010, 12:57 PM
I guess I have different views on this but I guess I really don't consider those appropriate for a 14 y/o. 16 - 18 maybe.

Shrug....

Depends on whether or not you think titties are something you need to hide from your 14 y/o son.

And aren't titties a key ingredient for a horror movie?

To each their own i guess. It would probably depend on the child....but remember, a 14 y/o is already in High school...probably not much they haven't seen already.

Deberg_1990
06-17-2010, 01:12 PM
A movie called Saturn 3 scared the **** out of me when I was 4-5.

It had Kirk Douglas, Farrah Fawcett, and Harvey Keitel!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079285/

hehe....thats actually a fairly horrible movie. If you watched it today, you would have a good laugh.

CoMoChief
06-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Saw, The Blair Witch Project, The Shining

:spock:

CoMoChief
06-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Steven King's "IT"

Red Brooklyn
06-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Here's a list of movies I saw before I was 16. Each one of them scared the poop out of me.

1. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (out of context - having never seen an episode of the series - this was the scariest movie I had ever seen)
2. The Shining (Kubrick)
3. The Exorcist (original)
4. The Omen (original, obviously)
5. A Nightmare On Elm Street (original)
6. Rosemary's Baby
7. TCM (original)

Scary stuff. I honestly haven't seen much since those films that has scared me. Some great suspense and chills, but not a lot of horror/terror.

Detoxing
06-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Here's a list of movies I saw before I was 16. Each one of them scared the poop out of me.

1. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (out of context - having never seen an episode of the series - this was the scariest movie I had ever seen)
2. The Shining (Kubrick)
3. The Exorcist (original)
4. The Omen (original, obviously)
5. A Nightmare On Elm Street (original)
6. Rosemary's Baby
7. TCM (original)

Scary stuff. I honestly haven't seen much since those films that has scared me. Some great suspense and chills, but not a lot of horror/terror.

Problem is, those movies won't scare a 14 y/o boy now-a-days. What we found scary as children doesn't work for today's kids.

These kids need more shock value to be entertained.

Red Brooklyn
06-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Problem is, those movies won't scare a 14 y/o boy now-a-days. What we found scary as children doesn't work for today's kids.

These kids need more shock value to be entertained.
Yeah, you're right. But I'm just not sure what's out there that can achieve the desired affect anymore. Kids (people in general) are so desensitized to all of that.

Guru
06-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Yeah, you're right. But I'm just not sure what's out there that can achieve the desired affect anymore. Kids (people in general) are so desensitized to all of that.

That has been my observation as well.

CosmicPal
06-17-2010, 02:43 PM

True, but sad.

There's no suspense in movies anymore, it's all about CGI and making the newest and biggest special effect. It's overdone and trite.

I just watched the documentary on Lenny Bruce last night and it breaks your heart to know that he had to put up with all those charges against obscenities and it killed his career before it killed him.

He was practically a choir boy compared to today's ass-hat comedians who can't begin or end a sentence without tossing in an F-bomb. And I find it rather annoying when a comedian is using expletives all the time. It's not as funny as it used to be.

The same with horror films. They forget the most integral part of scaring someone is building up suspense. Without suspense, it's just a bunch of dumb people dying.

notorious
06-17-2010, 05:31 PM
hehe....thats actually a fairly horrible movie. If you watched it today, you would have a good laugh.

I have and I did. LMAO

I would be upset just like Kirk Douglas. Kirk was on a moon with a super hot chick all alone and some scientist brought a robot and screwed up the action.

Detoxing
06-17-2010, 05:47 PM
True, but sad.

There's no suspense in movies anymore, it's all about CGI and making the newest and biggest special effect. It's overdone and trite.

I just watched the documentary on Lenny Bruce last night and it breaks your heart to know that he had to put up with all those charges against obscenities and it killed his career before it killed him.

He was practically a choir boy compared to today's ass-hat comedians who can't begin or end a sentence without tossing in an F-bomb. And I find it rather annoying when a comedian is using expletives all the time. It's not as funny as it used to be.

The same with horror films. They forget the most integral part of scaring someone is building up suspense. Without suspense, it's just a bunch of dumb people dying.

I'd say the Strangers did a pretty good job of building up suspense. As did Paranormal Activity.

I think those are the only two movies that have done that lately that I've seen.

BillSelfsTrophycase
06-17-2010, 05:51 PM

True, I watched it again out of morbid curiosity a few months back....it's pretty bad.

It scared the crap out of me as a kid though

Red Brooklyn
06-17-2010, 05:53 PM
I'd say the Strangers did a pretty good job of building up suspense. As did Paranormal Activity.

I think those are the only two movies that have done that lately that I've seen.
I haven't seen either of those yet. Are they worth checking out? Just suspenseful, or actually scary as well?

Chieficus
06-17-2010, 06:21 PM
It's really less about what's in the horror genre and more about what actually scares the kid...

I mean, we all have something that frightens us (how many times has someone seen a big buff man's man turn into a sqeeling pansy at the sight of a spider?)...

For me, I've never been a big fan of mirrors (though I'm better w/ em now than when I was a kid...still don't like sleeping in a room with a mirror though)...

Hence, I've never had the gumption to watch Candyman, or to play the Bloody Mary game...despite all logical assurances that nothing is going to appear in the mirror.

So with that in mind, horror movies have never really freaked me out (my bro and sis were teenagers in the '80's when all those slasher movies were popular and I was but a wee lil' child... I got used to them rather quickly)... but one movie that has freaked me out is one that's on no one's radar: The Mothman Prophecies.

And it's all b/c of a scene where Richard Gear (Geere...geer...gere...however you spell it!) shuts a closet door that has a mirror and *boom* brief second flash of the mothman. Completely creeped me out (especially since I was all alone when I was watching it).

So figure out one little thing that scares him, and rent something along those lines...then he'll have his scary movie.

:)

Red Brooklyn
06-17-2010, 06:24 PM
The Mothman Prophecies.

And it's all b/c of a scene where Richard Gear (Geere...geer...gere...however you spell it!) shuts a closet door that has a mirror and *boom* brief second flash of the mothman. Completely creeped me out (especially since I was all alone when I was watching it).
That bit scared the shit out of me! I'd completely forgotten about that. I think I blocked it out. Now I've got chills again just thinking about it.

Chieficus
06-17-2010, 07:21 PM
That bit scared the shit out of me! I'd completely forgotten about that. I think I blocked it out. Now I've got chills again just thinking about it.

Great... now I'm not sure whether to feel bad and apologize... or to feel good that I gave somebody chills...

:jester:

bevischief
06-17-2010, 08:43 PM
old age...

CosmicPal
06-17-2010, 08:47 PM
I got used to them rather quickly)... but one movie that has freaked me out is one that's on no one's radar: The Mothman Prophecies.

That was an okay movie. What's really scary is knowing the history of Point Pleasant, WV and that Indian chief who put a curse on that whole area. After discovering the history, I thought the movie should have been about that, rather than the Mothman creature.

FAX
06-17-2010, 10:07 PM
Wow. 1408 is pretty good. I'd forgotten all about this movie. It's on TNT right now.

Brrrrrr.

FAX

QuikSsurfer
06-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Wow. 1408 is pretty good. I'd forgotten all about this movie. It's on TNT right now.

Brrrrrr.

FAX

I watched this one a few weeks back and really enjoyed it... sorta dragged on for a bit though.

Tribal Warfare
06-17-2010, 10:12 PM
The Body Snatchers and Lawnmower Man

irishjayhawk
06-17-2010, 10:17 PM
When I talk about scary movies I talk about realistic scary movies. The Ring, Exorcist and virtually all of the slasher movies (Chainsaw massacre, Saw, etc) don't fit it.

The one that I've found is realistic as to be creepy/scary is The Exorcism of Emily Rose.

FAX
06-17-2010, 10:35 PM
I watched this one a few weeks back and really enjoyed it... sorta dragged on for a bit though.

Yeah, I guess it could be considered "draggy" at times. Still, it's a darn good movie to watch in the dark, you know? By yourself. Spoookyyyyy.

I like those kinds of movies, though. Creepy ones. As Mr. irishjayhawk said, not slasher flicks, but more mentally scary ones. I was staying at a hotel one time and decided to turn out all the lights and order that movie where the guy had an affair with the crazy girl who killed the guy's daughter's pet bunny. It was the first time I'd seen it. About 2/3rds of the way through, when room service knocked on the door, I almost crapped my pants.

Rosemary's Baby.
Open Water.
Session 9.
Two Sisters (the Korean one).
Alien.

Those all rock.

FAX

KS Smitty
06-17-2010, 10:40 PM
When I talk about scary movies I talk about realistic scary movies. The Ring, Exorcist and virtually all of the slasher movies (Chainsaw massacre, Saw, etc) don't fit it.

The one that I've found is realistic as to be creepy/scary is The Exorcism of Emily Rose.

That's because it was based on a true story. Same with the original Amityville Horror. Another "based on a true story" horror flick was The Town That Dreaded Sundown. We saw that one at the drive-in one night then went to "park" (what do you kids call that these days?) and both of us kept hearing leaves moving and twigs snapping...we left shortly thereafter.

The original Nightmare on Elm Street and some of the sequels. The Ring was good. I liked Carrie. Cujo, Salem's Lot as well as It for Steven King movies. John Carpenter is one of my favorite directors of scary movies, although I don't like all of them. Another director I like is Wes Cravens. The Lost Boys as mentioned earlier is a good flick.

Guru
06-17-2010, 11:14 PM
The Body Snatchers and Lawnmower ManI loved Lawnmower Man but I didn't consider it particularly scary.

Guru
06-18-2010, 12:57 AM
Fail. He didn't find The Exorcist scary at all. Didn't make him jump at all.

That is just sad.

irishjayhawk
06-18-2010, 08:33 AM

That is just sad.

It's not. That movie just plain isn't scary. Same with the Ring.

CosmicPal
06-18-2010, 09:29 AM
If you haven't seen [Rec], I'd recommend it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/

The 70's certainly was the best decade for scary movies:

Alien (1979)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Halloween (1978)
The Exorcist (1973)
Jaws (1975)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Salem's Lot (1979)
Amityville Horror (1978)
Eraserhead (1977)
The Brood (1979)
The Wicker Man (1973)

Those are some pretty good movies...

And then you have the year, 1980, which had some pretty good scary movies:

The Shining (1980)
The Changeling (1980)
Altered States (1980)
Gates of Hell (1980)

As for some oldies, and a couple that many here I'm sure have never seen:
Quartermass and the Pit (1958) and
Carnival of Souls (1962)

Carnival of Souls was actually filmed in Lawrence, KS. So, it has regional interest to some.

Red Brooklyn
06-18-2010, 09:35 AM

That is just sad.
Really? Man... that is sad.

I took a group of friends to see it when it was re-released to theatres about 10 years ago. Every one of them flipped a shit at least once.

... love the Exorcist...

CosmicPal
06-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Really? Man... that is sad.

I took a group of friends to see it when it was re-released to theatres about 10 years ago. Every one of them flipped a shit at least once.

... love the Exorcist...

It is sad...but I think kids today have been desensitized by watching the crap that is readily available today.

I remember when I was a kid, we had to sneak into the theater to see a scary movie. Kids nowadays have movies readily available to them, so going back to see some of the great movies in the past seem out-dated and boring to them- frankly because the movies in the past didn't have a hundred people slashed to death and cut to pieces.

It's the same with music. I remember talking to my nephew who is a teenager now and is into classic rock which I found interesting. So, I asked him what he thought of Pink Floyd's DSOTM and he said, "Uhhhm, it's okay."

I then asked if he had heard it all the way through and he replied that he had only downloaded a couple of songs from the album! So, he's basing his critique on a couple of songs!

I was fortunate enough to have heard Pink Floyd's DSOTM in it's entirety, on a record player, in my bedroom, with the lights out and I remember being floored- it was like nothing else I had ever heard.

And when we were finally old enough to watch The Exorcist we were floored because it was like nothing else before it. And that's why it's not scary to kids today- they've already seen a bunch of dead people dying in pools of blood voluminous enough to fill a local pond.

That's sad.

Halloween was a scary as hell movie back then. It was honestly one of the last movies built almost entirely on suspense- the not knowing where the monster is/was. You know he's walking around the house, but you can't see him. Add in the typical suburban neighborhood, a cute babysitter, and an escaped mental patient, and Halloween, and you have the makings of a good suspenseful movie. It was great then. Great, if you haven't seen all the other shit today.

And that's where I feel sorry for the kids today, they missed out on the truly remarkable stuff made back then- back when they were innovative and challenging.

Detoxing
06-18-2010, 10:19 AM
I haven't seen either of those yet. Are they worth checking out? Just suspenseful, or actually scary as well?

Much more suspenseful than scary. The Strangers is intense. Paranormal Activity might be scary if your a ghost/demon kinda person.

Dicky McElephant
06-18-2010, 10:37 AM
I thought The Strangers was fucking horrible. Not really scary at all.

Frosty
06-18-2010, 05:32 PM
The movie that really messed me up when I was kid was actually a made for TV movie called "Don't Be Afraid Of the Dark". I had nightmares forever after that (I was about 10, IIRC).

The whole thing is available on YouTube but I haven't rewatched it. I imagine it is high cheese now.

CosmicPal
06-18-2010, 06:03 PM
The movie that really messed me up when I was kid was actually a made for TV movie called "Don't Be Afraid Of the Dark". I had nightmares forever after that (I was about 10, IIRC).

The whole thing is available on YouTube but I haven't rewatched it. I imagine it is high cheese now.

That's funny you mention that because when I was about 10 years old, the movie that messed me up big time was Helter Skelter, which was a TV movie at the time. I had nightmares for days that Charlie Manson and his posse were absolutely certain to escape prison and hitchhike all the way to Kansas and kill me and my family while we slept.

Taco John
06-18-2010, 07:34 PM
The Ex-wives Club

Tribal Warfare
06-20-2010, 02:53 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091223/

House

is another one

Nzoner
06-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Session 9.

FAX

Great call Mr Fax :thumb:

kysirsoze
06-20-2010, 05:15 PM
I thought The Strangers was ****ing horrible. Not really scary at all.

Most people either think it's terrifying or they think this. Not much gray area from what I've heard.

ChiefFripp
06-20-2010, 05:31 PM
The Road

Guru
06-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Didn't care for Nightmare on Elm Street either. I give up.

Buck
06-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Yeah, Lost Boys scared the crap out of me when I was a kid, not sure if it would have when I was 14 though.

ohiobronco2
06-20-2010, 07:09 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091223/

House

is another one

I think of this as more of a comedy. Good movie when I was a kid. Another stupid film that used to scare me was the Children. I watched it recently and laughed. They used to show it all the time on USA UP ALL NIGHT. Films that are based on a true story are the scariest films.

ohiobronco2
06-20-2010, 07:12 PM

Watch a movie with him that you have seen before. When a scary part comes up, leave the room, and jump out from behind the couch or something. My dad always used to do that sh*t to me. When I was 5 we went to see Pet Sematary and he kept saying, "I'm going to kill you and bury you in the Pet Sematary." Has stuck with me all these years. :D

KcMizzou
06-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Didn't care for Nightmare on Elm Street either. I give up.You're "dad". Even if some movie spooked the hell out of him, he's not gonna admit it to you. (Until he's 25 or so...)

The old, "Oh yeah? Well watch this!", is never gonna do the trick.

Guru
06-20-2010, 08:03 PM
He doesn't even jump during parts he should be jumping at. I sat down with him on two movies I fully expected to scare him and nothing. Generally you will at least jump a little bit. I honestly think he was bored during both Nightmare and Exorcist.

Maybe I should get the old mask out and jump up behind him.

I still think todays movies are ruining the classics though.

Crush
06-20-2010, 08:04 PM
The Last Broadcast (1998)

WARNING: The ending is absolutely horrible and almost ruins the entire movie.

However, it is still a very good horror movie. It was the Blair Witch Project before the Blair Witch Project.

Crush
06-20-2010, 08:05 PM
The whole movie is on Youtube, if you want to screen it beforehand.

Saulbadguy
06-20-2010, 08:55 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dentist

Tylerthigpen!1!
06-20-2010, 11:07 PM
The Last Broadcast (1998)

WARNING: The ending is absolutely horrible and almost ruins the entire movie.

However, it is still a very good horror movie. It was the Blair Witch Project before the Blair Witch Project.

Just watched it. I never felt any suspense. Just dull and slow

Tylerthigpen!1!
06-21-2010, 01:06 AM
I remember Graveyard Shift scared the shit out of me when I was a lil guy. Thinking back I watched a lot of Stephen King as a kid. What were my parents doing?

Tribal Warfare
06-21-2010, 04:56 AM
Has anyone mentioned Pet Sementary or the original Amityville yet?

Mile High Mania
06-21-2010, 05:53 AM
Yeah, sit down at night with some popcorn and watch The Ring...

CosmicPal
06-21-2010, 10:08 AM
I still think todays movies are ruining the classics though.

It's not just the movies, it's the fact that these movies are so readily available to them.

Think back when you were a kid and we didn't have 800 channels on our TV. Think about how you didn't have access to high-speed Internet and could download any movie you'd like to watch.

Kids have it too easy today- there's no need for them to wait until they're 17. They can watch all the horror films they want, they can access all the porn they'd like.

Society is also different these days. We're no longer freaked out about entire families being murdered by a gang of angry teens. It's sad. It's terribly sad, and it might break your heart, but the media moves on to something else and you've lost interest in the family that was murdered.

Charles Manson and his posse would be lucky to get front page news should they have done what they did today. Instead, that whacked-out hippie songwriter created a national frenzy, an epic book, and a made-for-TV movie.

Today, we have retarded teenage mothers dumping their kids in the lake and then going out to a night of drinking with their friends. And with each one, we become more and more desensitized to the murderous rampages. As a society, we're no longer shocked about what we see or hear. We feel for the mother's children who didn't have to die, but we move on because the very next story is about an earthquake in Haiti, and then we move on because the gulf is full of oil, and then we move on because a...

Your child is a victim of our failure to protect and shield them from the dangers and ills of society. To him, The Exorcist is just a lame special effect. To him, any Alfred Hitchcock movie is a boring and tedious black and white oldie that will power up that two-hour nap.

Saulbadguy
06-21-2010, 10:17 AM
It's not just the movies, it's the fact that these movies are so readily available to them.

Think back when you were a kid and we didn't have 800 channels on our TV. Think about how you didn't have access to high-speed Internet and could download any movie you'd like to watch.

Kids have it too easy today- there's no need for them to wait until they're 17. They can watch all the horror films they want, they can access all the porn they'd like.

Society is also different these days. We're no longer freaked out about entire families being murdered by a gang of angry teens. It's sad. It's terribly sad, and it might break your heart, but the media moves on to something else and you've lost interest in the family that was murdered.

Charles Manson and his posse would be lucky to get front page news should they have done what they did today. Instead, that whacked-out hippie songwriter created a national frenzy, an epic book, and a made-for-TV movie.

Today, we have retarded teenage mothers dumping their kids in the lake and then going out to a night of drinking with their friends. And with each one, we become more and more desensitized to the murderous rampages. As a society, we're no longer shocked about what we see or hear. We feel for the mother's children who didn't have to die, but we move on because the very next story is about an earthquake in Haiti, and then we move on because the gulf is full of oil, and then we move on because a...

Your child is a victim of our failure to protect and shield them from the dangers and ills of society. To him, The Exorcist is just a lame special effect. To him, any Alfred Hitchcock movie is a boring and tedious black and white oldie that will power up that two-hour nap.

You are a moron.

CosmicPal
06-21-2010, 10:40 AM
You are a moron.

Whatever badguy. :rolleyes:

Rausch
06-21-2010, 10:40 AM
For me it was:

Communion
Jacob's Ladder
Johnny Got His Gun
Prince of Darkness
Hellraiser
Event Horizon
Sphere
The Entity

Saulbadguy
06-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Whatever badguy. :rolleyes:

Your child is a victim of our failure to protect and shield them from the dangers and ills of society.

I mean, Jesus fucking Christ. One kid isn't scared by a movie, and to you, society is damned.

CosmicPal
06-21-2010, 12:02 PM
I mean, Jesus ****ing Christ. One kid isn't scared by a movie, and to you, society is damned.

Shut the phuck up asswipe. I'm not referring primarily to Guru's kid- I'm referring to most kids and the fact that it has been referenced many times on this Planet and everywhere else in the media.

I remember reading an article in the Denver paper a few years ago when the Exorcist had its 25th Anniversary and the author who penned the article was appalled about how the teens in the theater were mocking and laughing at the film. He went on to report how saddened he was that a classic horror film had been a subject of mockery for today's teens.

Saulbadguy
06-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Shut the phuck up asswipe. I'm not referring primarily to Guru's kid- I'm referring to most kids and the fact that it has been referenced many times on this Planet and everywhere else in the media.

I remember reading an article in the Denver paper a few years ago when the Exorcist had its 25th Anniversary and the author who penned the article was appalled about how the teens in the theater were mocking and laughing at the film. He went on to report how saddened he was that a classic horror film had been a subject of mockery for today's teens.

So these teens were victims of our failure to protect them from the dangers and ills of society as children?

CosmicPal
06-21-2010, 02:57 PM
So these teens were victims of our failure to protect them from the dangers and ills of society as children?

Well Saul, that is what I hypothesize. I don't have qualitative research to back up my findings, nor am I a sociologist. Although, I did have some formal academic study in the social sciences, it is not relevant because it doesn't matter to you. Nothing I say will.

The point I am trying to make is that teens have been desensitized by the rampant use of CGI's and special effects in modern horror films. They've also been desensitized by the overwhelming push of mass media. It is nearly impossible for anyone to avoid mass media these days and the information so readily available and it always there- 24/7. All the parental controls a parent can beget won't keep their children from seeing the latest slasher.

As I stated before, children can access ANY kind of movie online or on cable at ANY given time. That is something children couldn't do before the age of 800 channels and high-speed Internet.

Otter
06-21-2010, 02:58 PM
For me it was:

Communion
Jacob's Ladder
Johnny Got His Gun
Prince of Darkness
Hellraiser
Event Horizon
Sphere
The Entity

And just for the record; sitting someone down and saying "ok, see if this movie scares you" isn't going to work. You're taking away every element of surprise which half the scare.

That and he'll probably read about it for a 1/2 hour on IMDB before he watches the movie in question.

Saulbadguy
06-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Well Saul, that is what I hypothesize. I don't have qualitative research to back up my findings, nor am I a sociologist. Although, I did have some formal academic study in the social sciences, it is not relevant because it doesn't matter to you. Nothing I say will.

The point I am trying to make is that teens have been desensitized by the rampant use of CGI's and special effects in modern horror films. They've also been desensitized by the overwhelming push of mass media. It is nearly impossible for anyone to avoid mass media these days and the information so readily available and it always there- 24/7. All the parental controls a parent can beget won't keep their children from seeing the latest slasher.

As I stated before, children can access ANY kind of movie online or on cable at ANY given time. That is something children couldn't do before the age of 800 channels and high-speed Internet.

And how is this sad?

CosmicPal
06-21-2010, 03:06 PM
And how is this sad?

Go outside. Get some fresh air. Look up into the sky. See the beautiful birds and the glorious arrangement of puffy, white clouds. Let your mind roll in dreamy merriment. Look at the old man negotiating the crosswalk. Run over there and help him. Ask him his name. And when you get to the other side. You will understand. The universe will meet you there. A whisk of wind will caress your ear and say, "Saul, you're not such a bad guy. You're just a dumbass."

Saulbadguy
06-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Go outside. Get some fresh air. Look up into the sky. See the beautiful birds and the glorious arrangement of puffy, white clouds. Let your mind roll in dreamy merriment. Look at the old man negotiating the crosswalk. Run over there and help him. Ask him his name. And when you get to the other side. You will understand. The universe will meet you there. A whisk of wind will caress your ear and say, "Saul, you're not such a bad guy. You're just a dumbass."

Tap out acknowledged.

Keep playing butthurt because movies back in your day did not have good special effects.

Nzoner
06-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Tap out acknowledged.

Keep playing butthurt because movies back in your day did not have good special effects.

You youngsters crack me up sometimes,don't get me wrong,I like special effects but I sure as hell don't need them to enjoy a movie.Take the original TCM for instance,little to no gore and special effects but the film still stands on its own as as classic horror and imho one helluva lot better than any so called crap they're putting out these days and labeling horror.

Guru
06-21-2010, 04:09 PM
What the hell is TCM?

Nzoner
06-21-2010, 04:13 PM
What the hell is TCM?

Texas Chainsaw Massacre,turn out all the lights,turn up the sound and see what jr thinks of it.

wutamess
06-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Just went through this...

My 13 yo will no longer sleep in her own room, electing to sleep on the floor of the other kids bedroom instead.

This movie has fugged me up pretty good as well... It's spooky as shit! This is 3 - months ago.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTY2OTM0NDEyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTAzMDY4Mg@@._V1._SX640_SY948_.jpg

Nzoner
06-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Just went through this...

My 13 yo will no longer sleep in her own room, electing to sleep on the floor of the other kids bedroom instead.

This movie fugged me up aswell...

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTY2OTM0NDEyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTAzMDY4Mg@@._V1._SX640_SY948_.jpg

The Red X? Sounds pretty creepy :)

wutamess
06-21-2010, 04:43 PM
The Red X? Sounds pretty creepy :)

You must have a filter on or something...
http://culthero.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/the_fourth_kind.jpg

Detoxing
06-21-2010, 05:19 PM
I think it's funny that people keep listing all these old movies. We're talking about a 14 yr old kid here.

They want to be shocked. A movie with poor special effects, old cinematography and an era that they don't relate to will not scare these kids.

Detoxing
06-21-2010, 05:19 PM
You must have a filter on or something...
http://culthero.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/the_fourth_kind.jpg

But something like this would.

Detoxing
06-21-2010, 05:21 PM
You youngsters crack me up sometimes,don't get me wrong,I like special effects but I sure as hell don't need them to enjoy a movie.Take the original TCM for instance,little to no gore and special effects but the film still stands on its own as as classic horror and imho one helluva lot better than any so called crap they're putting out these days and labeling horror.

Maybe. But it won't appease today's kids no matter how you slice it.

Hell, not until late have I even been able to appreciate the Original "Pyscho" movie. The kids will get thrown off automatically just by the old film.

Detoxing
06-21-2010, 05:24 PM

That is just sad.

I wouldn't imagine that he would. Does he fear Satan, spirits and Demons? If so...

Sit him down with "The Excorcism of Emily Rose".

IMO, that's the best of latest demon possession type movies.

Detoxing
06-21-2010, 05:27 PM

Once again, too old dude. Try Rob Zombie's version of Halloween. Good Movie. Better than the original IMO.

Detoxing
06-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Here Guru, gotta show him these and then get back to us:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lSy7DldFdUI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lSy7DldFdUI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S_h0CblQ0sg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S_h0CblQ0sg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F_UxLEqd074&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F_UxLEqd074&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Nzoner
06-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Maybe. But it won't appease today's kids no matter how you slice it.

Hell, not until late have I even been able to appreciate the Original "Pyscho" movie. The kids will get thrown off automatically just by the old film.

Yeah,we had a teenage foreign exchange student stay with us some years back and he said he was a real movie buff but wouldn't watch anything before 1984 :doh!: .I told him if he was going to live with me he would have to watch a few movies that I thought he'd like but that I had a 20 minute rule and if he wasn't interested after 20 minutes we'd turn it off.He ended up loving Jaws and The Godfather as a couple of examples and thanked me for the opportunity to be introduced to such classics.