PDA

View Full Version : Obama So Lite meets with BP Execs for 20 mintues...WTF?

memyselfI
06-16-2010, 10:50 AM
:cuss::cuss::cuss:

He kicked their asses over causing the worst environmental disaster in our nation's history and it took only 20 minutes????

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100616/ts_nm/us_oil_spill_29

petegz28
06-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Yeah, simply fucking amazing. No one is sure how to address the problem. He took weeks before he even talked to the CEO of BP, he goes on TV last night and bombs trying to slam BP and use the crisis as the reason all of us need to get off the oil tit. Yet it is only worth 20 minutes of his actual face-face time.

Our Community Organizer in Chief is a full of shit, has no clue of what he was doing and is flailing badly cause he can't blame this on Bush.

InChiefsHell
06-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Ah, look. Ah, it doesn't ah take long too ah kick ass...

petegz28
06-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Oh, and BTW, he has not power whatsoever to demand any money beyond the legally established limits from BP. As of now, anythig BP pays beyond their legal limits is up to them. He can stomp his feet and pound his fist all he wants. But he cannot force them to do anything simply out of his own power.

KC Dan
06-16-2010, 11:00 AM
He must have had a noon tee-time

petegz28
06-16-2010, 11:01 AM
BP has agreed to place $20 bil in escrow. FYI, Barry has a 75 minute lunch scheduled with Biden.

dirk digler
06-16-2010, 11:08 AM
CNN

The meeting was expected to last roughly two hours, according to a senior administration official.

I agree with Pete I don't think they can force BP to have that account but I am sure BP will for PR purposes

petegz28
06-16-2010, 11:15 AM
CNN

The meeting was expected to last roughly two hours, according to a senior administration official.

I agree with Pete I don't think they can force BP to have that account but I am sure BP will for PR purposes

BP has agreed to an escrow fund. However my bigger concern is the congress trying to retrofit a law so they can sue BP for more money than was the legal limit at the time of the spill. Should we do this with all laws? Perhaps say, child molestors? Should we change the law to say the sentence must include X and people who have already been tried and charged have their sentences changed??? I mean isn't changing the law after the fact pretty much selective prosecution?

dirk digler
06-16-2010, 11:19 AM
BP has agreed to an escrow fund. However my bigger concern is the congress trying to retrofit a law so they can sue BP for more money than was the legal limit at the time of the spill. Should we do this with all laws? Perhaps say, child molestors? Should we change the law to say the sentence must include X and people who have already been tried and charged have their sentences changed??? I mean isn't changing the law after the fact pretty much selective prosecution?

That will be an interesting legal argument but I tend to agree with you I don't think they can do that.

memyselfI
06-16-2010, 11:30 AM
BP has agreed to place $20 bil in escrow. FYI, Barry has a 75 minute lunch scheduled with Biden.

Really? The guy who works next door to his office can't reschedule if his boss asks him too?

Really? ROFLROFLROFLROFL

KC Dan
06-16-2010, 11:33 AM
BP has agreed to place $20 bil in escrow. FYI, Barry has a 75 minute lunch scheduled with Biden.Actually, this is pretty good PR for BP and shifts focus to the BO administration. The law says there is a $75 million cap limit yet they put in $20 billion. Can't say they aren't putting their money where their mouths are. Their investors gonna be pretty pissed if this move causes shares to drop anymore than they have already.

mlyonsd
06-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Tony Hayward must be way bigger in person than it appears on tv.

alpha_omega
06-16-2010, 12:15 PM
...he can't blame this on Bush.

But that won't stop 'em from trying.

Calcountry
06-16-2010, 02:36 PM
But that won't stop 'em from trying.The thread starter refers to Obama as "Bush lite", so you figure it out? wtf? :rolleyes:

Cave Johnson
06-16-2010, 02:45 PM

That's a non-issue, Pete. BP has agreed that the cap doesn't apply. Assuming they change their minds at some point, there are exceptions (gross negligence, willful misconduct and the violation of safety rules). I'm willing to bet one of the three will apply.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601072&sid=aQu7161R7QgM

petegz28
06-16-2010, 02:50 PM
That's a non-issue, Pete. BP has agreed that the cap doesn't apply. Assuming they change their minds at some point, there are exceptions (gross negligence, willful misconduct and the violation of safety rules). I'm willing to bet one of the three will apply.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601072&sid=aQu7161R7QgM

If they would apply then Congress would not be scrambling to re-write the law.

Cave Johnson
06-16-2010, 02:57 PM
If they would apply then Congress would not be scrambling to re-write the law.

Congress is working to raise the cap because it's laughably small and for political reasons.

Cave Johnson
06-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Also, there's some question as to whether a retroactive increase in the cap would pass constitutional muster. There was a tax case in the 80's (where they allowed the ex post facto change) that probably most on point.

I look at the change, at least as it applies to BP, as a plan C.

HonestChieffan
06-16-2010, 03:54 PM
I cannot imagine it took 20 minutes for him to say everything he knows about oil, oil spills, and oil cleanup. I'd bet they had time for a couple jokes.

Cave Johnson
06-16-2010, 04:40 PM
I cannot imagine it took 20 minutes for him to say everything he knows about oil, oil spills, and oil cleanup. I'd bet they had time for a couple jokes.

I wish we had that solemn, serious last guy. He was the tits.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mn4daYJzyls&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mn4daYJzyls&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EvxKZRf8k2k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EvxKZRf8k2k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>