PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Toy Story 3

Deberg_1990
06-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Ok, so whos not excited?......so far reviews have been outstanding. Im continually in awe of PIXAR. Amazing stuff.

Ill be surprised if this thing drops below 90% on Rotten Tomatoes

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/toy_story_3/

sd4chiefs
06-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Rotten Tomatoe fans are on pins and needles waiting for Armond White, the most hated movie critic of all time, too drop his bad review on Toy Story 3.

It's at 100% after 125 reviews.

thecoffeeguy
06-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Ok, so whos not excited?......so far reviews have been outstanding. Im continually in awe of PIXAR. Amazing stuff.

Ill be surprised if this thing drops below 90% on Rotten Tomatoes

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/toy_story_3/

I am excited. I really like all Pixar flicks.
I own all the Pixar movies on DVD. I have yet to be let down by any of them.

JD10367
06-16-2010, 11:46 AM
While I love Disney/Pixar, frankly I'm not too excited about this flick. Just going by the trailer, it looks pointless, as if they said, "Hey, this franchise is a gold mine, let's crank out something in 3D to make a few hundred million." Really, was there something more that needed to be said in that world? And the trailer's more than a little creepy. Andy at 18, going to college, saying, "Woody's special, because he'll never stop believing in me?" WTF, dood, really?

We spent the past two days putting together the IMAX print and my part-timer test-ran it last night. I just talked to him and he pretty much said what I just said: it was okay, but he really didn't see the point, and he said the toy jokes wear thin.

Deberg_1990
06-16-2010, 11:58 AM
While I love Disney/Pixar, frankly I'm not too excited about this flick. Just going by the trailer, it looks pointless, as if they said, "Hey, this franchise is a gold mine, let's crank out something in 3D to make a few hundred million." Really, was there something more that needed to be said in that world? And the trailer's more than a little creepy. Andy at 18, going to college, saying, "Woody's special, because he'll never stop believing in me?" WTF, dood, really?

We spent the past two days putting together the IMAX print and my part-timer test-ran it last night. I just talked to him and he pretty much said what I just said: it was okay, but he really didn't see the point, and he said the toy jokes wear thin.

ROFL

Of course its a money grab, but they did wait 11 years to make another one.

Dicky McElephant
06-16-2010, 01:23 PM
This will be my daughter's first movie theater experience. She's 3 and absolutely LOVES the Toy Story movies.

That being said....we'll wait a couple of weeks before taking her.

Jilly
06-16-2010, 01:33 PM
I heart all the toy story movies, so I can't wait to see it....and yes, I am going on my own accord and with no one's children, including my own. I simply like Toy Story. DON'T JUDGE ME

JD10367
06-16-2010, 01:48 PM
I heart all the toy story movies, so I can't wait to see it....and yes, I am going on my own accord and with no one's children, including my own. I simply like Toy Story. DON'T JUDGE ME

We would never judge a woman who likes to enjoy a good Woody on her own, or a little Buzz. :evil:

Jilly
06-16-2010, 01:53 PM
We would never judge a woman who likes to enjoy a good Woody on her own, or a little Buzz. :evil:

OH FOR FUCK's SAKE! It's a Children's movie discussion!!! :D

Fire Me Boy!
06-16-2010, 02:40 PM
We'll be seeing it. Probably not on opening weekend, but in the theater. Wife and I (no kids) love the Pixar films. And like someone else said, we own 'em all.

88TG88
06-16-2010, 04:53 PM

This was my thought on it.

The first one is still pretty good to watch for nostalgia.

KCrockaholic
06-17-2010, 12:18 AM
I'm goin on Saturday to see it. That Toy Story kid in me just has to see this thing in XD.

Guru
06-17-2010, 01:09 AM
We would never judge a woman who likes to enjoy a good Woody on her own, or a little Buzz. :evil:ROFL Glad I wasn't taking a drink there.

Chiefspants
06-17-2010, 01:18 AM

Meh, anything above a 90% on rotten tomatoes does not seem pointless to me, also, did anyone else here think Ratatouille was going to be a complete abomination from watching the trailer? I often find that trailers do not do pixar movies justice, and I believe this is because they do not cram the best content from their movies into the teasers.

Just my two cents.

And yes, I am quite excited for this movie.

Rausch
06-17-2010, 02:21 AM
Meh, anything above a 90% on rotten tomatoes does not seem pointless to me, also, did anyone else here think Ratatouille was going to be a complete abomination from watching the trailer?

Yes...

irishjayhawk
06-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Yes...

Did you think the movie was?

Red Brooklyn
06-17-2010, 11:07 AM
I'm actually not all that excited for Toy Story 3. But I know I'm going to love it once I see it. Pixar does that.

sd4chiefs
06-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Rotten Tomatoe fans are on pins and needles waiting for Armond White, the most hated movie critic of all time, too drop his bad review on Toy Story 3.

Armond does it again.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/author/author-2725/

JD10367
06-18-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm running it for the third time today and, while I haven't paid a lot of attention out the window, it doesn't seem as bad as I thought. But it also doesn't seem earth-shakingly astounding.

Deberg_1990
06-18-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm running it for the third time today and, while I haven't paid a lot of attention out the window, it doesn't seem as bad as I thought. But it also doesn't seem earth-shakingly astounding.

I liked it alot....still trying to digest it.....For one, its alot darker than the other two. It also runs a bit long.......but its got some truly inspired bits...the whole parody of prison movies and breaks is genius. Ken and Barbie were truly hilarious, tortilla potato head, Spanish speaking Buzz, etc....

Oh, and you made fun of Andys line "Woody will never let you down"......well now that ive seen it in context, it makes sense...as hes explaining his toys to the little girl at the end.

PIXAR is amazing.....the way their stuff can work on multiple levels....my 5 year turned to me at the end and said "Dad, that was a a good movie!" hes never said that before to me. :)

Chiefspants
06-19-2010, 12:29 AM
I was blown away, my goodness, This movie surpassed every one of my expectations.

First, it's up to par with any pixar movie, and I believe it may have been the best Toy Story movie in the series.

Next, this movie was as perfect for me at my current age as the first two were for me as a child. The ending of this movie was so moving, I could not believe the attachment I had to each of the characters.

Lastly, I recommend this to EVERYONE, by the end of the movie, you realize that it's message is much deeper then a group of toys attempting to escape from a tyrannical daycare.

Oh, and, by the way, while this movie may be rated G, I thought it was awesome that 80% of the audience were either my age or adults.

KCrockaholic
06-19-2010, 12:30 AM
Armond does it again.

Fucking asshole!

KCrockaholic
06-19-2010, 12:31 AM

He's got Barack Obama and he's still Mr. Crabby pants.

Taco John
06-19-2010, 01:02 AM
5 stars! Flawless execution!

KurtCobain
06-19-2010, 01:35 AM
Took my daughter to her first movie today. She loved it. I loved it. Alot better than I expected.

Red Brooklyn
06-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Wow.

I'm thrilled (and little surprised) to see this kind of feedback. Now I'm really excited to see this thing.

ChiefFripp
06-19-2010, 02:53 PM
My girlfriend ,her son and I went to go see it, I think it's easily the best of the 3. Matthew loved it as well.

irishjayhawk
06-19-2010, 05:30 PM
I think it is impossible to dislike Toy Story 3. Did it beat out How to Train Your Dragon? No, but it came might close.

sd4chiefs
06-19-2010, 07:25 PM
I think it is impossible to dislike Toy Story 3. Did it beat out How to Train Your Dragon? No, but it came might close.

I guess you did not see my posts about Armond White.

irishjayhawk
06-19-2010, 07:29 PM
I guess you did not see my posts about Armond White.

I don't buy him as a person. He's a character put on by a person. Borat isn't a person.

And the other guy who gave it a bad review apparently didn't watch the same movie because he complained about rating (PG) and darkness. It was no more "dark" than Toy Story 1 and the cannibal toys.

Chiefspants
06-19-2010, 07:56 PM
I don't buy him as a person. He's a character put on by a person. Borat isn't a person.

And the other guy who gave it a bad review apparently didn't watch the same movie because he complained about rating (PG) and darkness. It was no more "dark" than Toy Story 1 and the cannibal toys.

He also talked about the movie ending in a landfill.

okcchief
06-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Went with the wife and little girl today. We all three loved it. Definately, my favorite of the series.

Taco John
06-19-2010, 11:51 PM

Sure it was more dark. Much more dark. Go with a three year old, and you'll appreciate how much more dark it is if you can't see it with your own faculties. But I agree that it was a great movie.

Taco John
06-19-2010, 11:52 PM

I can't see this at all. I really enjoyed Dragon, but Toy Story 3 was in a whole different league.

irishjayhawk
06-20-2010, 12:11 AM
I can't see this at all. I really enjoyed Dragon, but Toy Story 3 was in a whole different league.

Emotionally, they're about even.

I just thought HTTYD was a better overall movie. But this is really picking between a BMW and a Mercedes. There really isn't a huge difference.

I will say that HTTYD has originality going for it. Read: not a sequel.

Deberg_1990
06-20-2010, 08:50 AM
Sure it was more dark. Much more dark. Go with a three year old, and you'll appreciate how much more dark it is if you can't see it with your own faculties. But I agree that it was a great movie.

My 7 year old didnt care for the Monkey Guard much.

JD10367
06-20-2010, 08:53 AM
Oh, and, by the way, while this movie may be rated G, I thought it was awesome that 80% of the audience were either my age or adults.

When I ran the 11:30pm Friday night show, we had hundreds of people and almost all were adults.

KevB
06-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Just piling on here, but went with the family today and we all loved it. I'm pretty sure I liked it as much or more than my kids.

Sure-Oz
06-20-2010, 03:08 PM
It has a 99% on RT, only 2 negative reviews, wow

Sure-Oz
06-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Armond does it again.

He needs to be shot in the hands so he can't do another review

jjjayb
06-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Took my wife and son to see it today. Excellent movie. Better than I expected. I'd see it again even without my son. It's that good.

|Zach|
06-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Went and saw it today, I could see parts being downright horrifying for some small children. The monkey guard and the the whole escape sequence when they are all going back and forth on top of that dumpster.

All the characters were exquisitely done but they seemed to take extra care and did an amazing job with the small child Bonnie. The texture and overall look of her hair, her expressions, and body language really draw you in.

Good stuff overall.

Ebolapox
06-20-2010, 08:42 PM
the wife and I saw it yesterday evening. absolutely great movie. well done, and I loved the ending... I enjoyed that they left it kinda open, yet had a sense of 'andy's story is done.'

irishjayhawk
06-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Saw it a second time. It's really, really good. I concur with Zach about the body language. My scene with respect to body language is Jesse reacting to Spanish buzz dancing around her the first time.

However, it still doesn't beat HTTYD.

Detoxing
06-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Went and saw this movie yesterday. Fantastic movie. Better than I thought it would be.

I also saw it in the IMAX 3-D...so the end of the movie (won't spoil it for ya) really gave you that, "Oh, fuck there really is nowhere to go, it's over" feeling.

I'll admit it, I almost shed a tear at the end.

MoreLemonPledge
06-22-2010, 01:35 AM
Went and saw this movie yesterday. Fantastic movie. Better than I thought it would be.

I also saw it in the IMAX 3-D...so the end of the movie (won't spoil it for ya) really gave you that, "Oh, fuck there really is nowhere to go, it's over" feeling.

I'll admit it, I almost shed a tear at the end.

It was kind of sad. The first movie came out when I was 10, so in a way it was like they were my toys and I was growing out of them. Cheesy, I know, but it was a damn good story.

Dicky McElephant
06-22-2010, 11:28 AM
The wife and I are taking our 3 year old daughter to see it this afternoon. It will be her first movie theater experience.

Jilly
06-22-2010, 02:28 PM
The wife and I are taking our 3 year old daughter to see it this afternoon. It will be her first movie theater experience.

Good Luck, brave soldiers!!!

Taco John
06-22-2010, 02:40 PM
I wouldn't want to take a kid to that as a first theatre experience.

Detoxing
06-22-2010, 02:43 PM

Ha! It was my sons first theater experience as well, he is also 3. We took him and plotted him down with some popcorn and soda. He did surprisingly well....for the 1st hour. Then he got restless.

Detoxing
06-22-2010, 02:45 PM

Dont see why not. My kid liked Toy 1 & 2 when he watched it at home.

Dicky McElephant
06-22-2010, 02:47 PM

My daughter LOVES the Toy Story movies. Those two and "UP" are basically the only movies she'll sit and watch the entire things without getting up or moving around.

Deberg_1990
Good Luck, brave soldiers!!!

I always love it when people bring their crying 10 month old into a crowded, loud movie theater....WTF?????

Dicky McElephant
Ha! It was my sons first theater experience as well, he is also 3. We took him and plotted him down with some popcorn and soda. He did surprisingly well....for the 1st hour. Then he got restless.

If she gets restless....she gets restless. We have two free movie tickets....so if we have to get up and leave.....it's no big deal.

Dicky McElephant
06-22-2010, 02:48 PM
I always love it when people bring their crying 10 month old into a crowded, loud movie theater....WTF?????

1. She's not 10 months old.
2. It's a fucking kids movie. Who do you expect to be there?

Deberg_1990
06-22-2010, 02:51 PM
1. She's not 10 months old.
2. It's a ****ing kids movie. Who do you expect to be there?

Wasnt directed @ you.

Dicky McElephant
06-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Wasnt directed @ you.

I know.

I'm just bored.

JD10367
06-22-2010, 07:17 PM
So I sat in the audience today, since I wanted to make sure I caught it in the theater before it leaves in a week. I must say, it's much better than the trailer indicates. Even though I'd seen the film from the booth around 10 times, when I actually sat in the theater and watched the whole story, I must admit I got a little dust in my eye near the end scenes. Yeah, it was a hair too long (probably could've trimmed it from 1:49 to more like 1:30), but IMO it was better than "Toy Story 2" and a nice ending to the trilogy. Not sure I'd put it equal with "How To Train Your Dragon" (since, as mentioned earlier in the thread, I also give it points for originality) but "Toy Story 3" is a worthy addition to the Pixar pantheon (and, IMO, better than "Up", since I'm one of the few people who wasn't overly impressed with that film).

Deberg_1990
06-22-2010, 07:32 PM
(and, IMO, better than "Up", since I'm one of the few people who wasn't overly impressed with that film).

Wow....i love UP. Probably one of my faves.

JD10367
06-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Wow....i love UP. Probably one of my faves.

I sympathized with the whole storyline about the old guy losing his wife and finding the wonder in life again. It was just the story I didn't care for. Hard to believe, in a Pixar world with talking fish and toys and cars, and monsters who scare kids to gather their screams, but I just didn't find the story of "Up" compelling or believable.

rad
06-22-2010, 08:05 PM
We went and and saw it on Saturday and we all liked it. Not sure if it's better than the first 2 yet, but I will buy it when it comes out on DVD.

Oh, and one interesting little factoid from Toy Story 3: The garbageman that almost picks up the Gang and they show bee-bopping with his headphones around all spazzy........is Sid (from TS1)

Deberg_1990
06-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Oh, and one interesting little factoid from Toy Story 3: The garbageman that almost picks up the Gang and they show bee-bopping with his headphones around all spazzy........is Sid (from TS1)

No way?? Thats pretty cool if true.

rad
06-22-2010, 08:28 PM
No way?? Thats pretty cool if true.

It's only Wiki, but yeah.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toy_Story_characters#Sid_Phillips

Sidney 'Sid' Phillips is a disturbed, hyperactive, sadistic 13-year-old boy and the main antagonist of the first film. He was Andy's vicious neighbor (until Andy moved), and the worst nightmare any toy could have and loves to destroy and torture toys. Sid is a young, bratty skate punk with metal braces. He wears black T-shirt bearing a white Skull (the logo of Zero Skateboards). His idea of fun is terrorizing his sister and destroying her toys in various methods (exploding, burning or in his "mad doctor" plays). He also enjoys skateboarding. He is voiced by Erik von Detten. According to an interview, Sid is named after a former employee at Pixar who would take toys apart and sometimes rebuild them in different and disturbingly odd ways. At the end of the original movie, when Woody and Sid's mutant toys decide to rescue Buzz by scaring Sid, he becomes very frightened of toys, and Woody pulls the last straw on him by coming alive and telling him (in a sinister way) to take good care of his toys or else, causing Sid to panic and runs back into his house and into his room, considering all the things he had done with them. He is the only human to witness toys come alive. He is last seen when Hannah frightens him more and chases him to the room. Sid makes a cameo appearance in Toy Story 3 as a garbageman. He is once again voiced by Erik von Detten.

rad
06-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Here's another cool site that says the same:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=67118

Deberg_1990
06-22-2010, 09:14 PM
BTW, how come they never showed Andys dad? Did he die?

JD10367
06-23-2010, 06:45 AM
BTW, how come they never showed Andys dad? Did he die?

He's probably a deadbeat dad.

I wonder which NFL or NBA team he plays for.

Dicky McElephant
06-23-2010, 10:04 AM
So yeah.....that was a great movie. My 3 year old sat there the entire time....just fixated on the screen. I got the occasional question......"What's Woody doing?" or "Look Daddy....it's Bullseye!".

All in all.....I almost got a tear in the eye at the end. It's weird that the first one came out when I was a teenager and now I'm almost 30 and it's over. It kind of made me want to go home and pull out the G.I. Joes and He-Man toys that I have locked away in storage.

irishjayhawk
06-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Weird, I would have pegged Sid as the garbage man at the end...always torturing toys...

bowener
06-23-2010, 07:21 PM
I don't know if anybody caught it when Mr. Potato Head

had to build himself using a cucumber, but he took a poke at Jonah and Veggie Tales. He said something like, "I feel so bright and healthy. I don't like it."

At least that is how I took it.

hopkinsfrank
06-26-2010, 06:47 AM
It was liked by my kid to a great extend. It seems to me that third edition is a definite watch.

penguinz
06-26-2010, 09:55 PM
TS3 was not a good movie. There is also absolutely no reason for it to be in 3D. If you do go see it save the extra couple of $ and see the 2D version.

Chiefspants
06-26-2010, 10:43 PM
TS3 was not a good movie. There is also absolutely no reason for it to be in 3D. If you do go see it save the extra couple of $ and see the 2D version.

So it wasn't a good movie because it wasn't good in 3D?

Okay then.

sd4chiefs
06-27-2010, 12:26 AM

OK Armond White, we all know its you. Go away.

DBOSHO
06-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Just came back from seeing it

1. I thought it was a fantastic movie, about on par with the first one, better than the second IMO. Lots of LOL moments and little chuckles, and the end was sad. I was fighting tears. How anyone would give this a bad review is beyond me.

2. I thought 3d was a waste. I didnt notice very many effects popping out at me.

3. Parents are getting dumber and dumber nowadays. There were a few youngNs in the theatre. Id bet they were younger than 2. Screaming through the whole movie. One of them started roaming the aisles and shit still screaming, so WHAT DOES THE PARENT DO? picks the kid up and holds it at the entrance of the theatre, as if moving the screaming child 20 ft away from their seats is gonna somehow minimalize the noise.

Common sense will tell you not to take an 18 month old baby in a crowded place and ask it to be quiet for 2 hours. Use your fucking brain. Leave your damn screaming kids at home so the rest of us who paid good money to enjoy the film CAN.

Deberg_1990
06-27-2010, 04:35 PM
2. I thought 3d was a waste. I didnt notice very many effects popping out at me.

Exactly why i dont pay the extra $$ for 3D anymore. Its a dumb Hollywood gimmick. But bravo to them for selling it so well to a mostly uneducated moviegoing public.

3. Parents are getting dumber and dumber nowadays. There were a few youngNs in the theatre. Id bet they were younger than 2. Screaming through the whole movie. One of them started roaming the aisles and shit still screaming, so WHAT DOES THE PARENT DO? picks the kid up and holds it at the entrance of the theatre, as if moving the screaming child 20 ft away from their seats is gonna somehow minimalize the noise.

Common sense will tell you not to take an 18 month old baby in a crowded place and ask it to be quiet for 2 hours. Use your ****ing brain. Leave your damn screaming kids at home so the rest of us who paid good money to enjoy the film CAN.

Agreed. Ive seen countless dumb crap by parents in movie theaters. The absolute dumbest is bring 3 year olds to a 10 o clock showing of an R rated Freddy movie. WTF????

DBOSHO
06-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Exactly why i dont pay the extra $$ for 3D anymore. Its a dumb Hollywood gimmick. But bravo to them for selling it so well to a mostly uneducated moviegoing public.

Agreed. Ive seen countless dumb crap by parents in movie theaters. The absolute dumbest is bring 3 year olds to a 10 o clock showing of an R rated Freddy movie. WTF????

The theatre i went to only had it in 3d. Personally i think the whole 3d push is really dumb. Id rather watch a movie in 2d anyday.

And someone really brought a 3yo to freddy? Wtf?

Deberg_1990
06-27-2010, 04:45 PM
The theatre i went to only had it in 3d. Personally i think the whole 3d push is really dumb. Id rather watch a movie in 2d anyday.

And someone really brought a 3yo to freddy? Wtf?

Yea, thats whats scary...i fear there will be a day soon when they dont offer a popular flick in 2D. 3D only.

Yes they did. Then they actually expected the kid to sit still and behave for 2 hours and got pissed off when they didnt. ROFL

Fire Me Boy!
06-27-2010, 06:15 PM
The absolute dumbest is bring 3 year olds to a 10 o clock showing of an R rated Freddy movie. WTF????

Not to be a topper, but I saw TWO parents bring their <4-year-old to a MIDNIGHT show of The Exorcist.

JD10367
06-27-2010, 06:23 PM
I thought 3d was a waste. I didnt notice very many effects popping out at me.

It seems like Disney/Pixar went out of their way to minimize the 3D effect so as not to get little kids all dizzy and pukey. When you take off the 3D glasses you can see both images, and the more offset they are means the more "3D" they look... and I notice, when watching this film without glasses, almost everything in it still looks flat (2D) with very little 3D effect. I think it works well, like it did in "Avatar" : there's just enough 3D to make you realize it's 3D but not so much that you get dizzy or pukey.

irishjayhawk
06-27-2010, 08:06 PM
It seems like Disney/Pixar went out of their way to minimize the 3D effect so as not to get little kids all dizzy and pukey. When you take off the 3D glasses you can see both images, and the more offset they are means the more "3D" they look... and I notice, when watching this film without glasses, almost everything in it still looks flat (2D) with very little 3D effect. I think it works well, like it did in "Avatar" : there's just enough 3D to make you realize it's 3D but not so much that you get dizzy or pukey.

I didn't see ANY 3D. HTTYD 3D blew away TS3.

Deberg_1990
06-27-2010, 08:15 PM
I didn't see ANY 3D. HTTYD 3D blew away TS3.

In fairness, my guess is PIXAR probably didnt care all that much about 3D. It was an obligatory "tack on" mandated by Disney $$economics$$.

penguinz
06-28-2010, 01:14 PM
So it wasn't a good movie because it wasn't good in 3D?

Okay then.Those were two different statements. The movie sucked and the 3D was a waste.

Dicky McElephant
06-28-2010, 01:20 PM
You honestly thought the movie sucked?

Explain yourself...

Jilly
06-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Man, I want to see this so badly!

DMAC
06-28-2010, 02:08 PM
The Day & Night short they played before the movie was absolutely brilliant.

KCrockaholic
06-28-2010, 02:20 PM
The Day & Night short they played before the movie was absolutely brilliant.

It was pretty cool....Buuut. Not as good as the short stories Ice Age plays before their movies with the squirrel or whatever that thing is.

irishjayhawk
06-28-2010, 02:50 PM
It was pretty cool....Buuut. Not as good as the short stories Ice Age plays before their movies with the squirrel or whatever that thing is.

:shake:

Jenson71
06-29-2010, 09:26 PM
Just came back from seeing it

1. I thought it was a fantastic movie, about on par with the first one, better than the second IMO. Lots of LOL moments and little chuckles, and the end was sad. I was fighting tears. How anyone would give this a bad review is beyond me.

Agreed with these points. Toy Story 3 was a rousing tale, full of adventure and excitement, strong morals, a solid life lesson, and entertainment.

QuikSsurfer
06-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Just saw it in 3d... The movie was 10/10. I may see it again BUT NOT IN 3D!!!
$24 for the two of us.
I don't remember one redeeming 3d quality in the entire film.. Should have saved the dolla's.

gblowfish
07-05-2010, 10:38 PM
This has been out for awhile now, so I don't think I'm spoiling anything.

Mrs. Blowfish wanted to go see this, so we went up to the Indep Square on Saturday Night for the 9:30pm show. Only about 20 people in the audience, and only one or two kids because it was so late.

I watched the movie intently. When I was in college I took several film courses, where we watched popular films to dissect them for greater meaning. Here's my over thought, over-wrought, bombastic critical review of the movie and what it might mean:

I think the movie scared the SH*T out of the little kids that were there. It was very dark for a kiddie movie. Lots of disturbing imagry.

The evil purple bear Latso (voiced by Ned Beatty) was manifest evil. You could tell he had a tortured soul, maybe as a younger man he was gang raped on a float trip...

The movie begins with Woody (the authoritarian figure) losing the confidence and support of the military establishment, as the Army men bail out on him and the others, showing a clear lack of confidence in leadership by the military establishment. When push comes to shove, Woody abandons the other toys as he alone is chosen to go with Andy, much like the downsizing of a company. The other less popular toys are expendable, and lose their home and security, much like in today's real corporate world. Lessons todays kids will soon learn the hard way when they try to find a career in today's job market.

It was a dark and potentially disturbing movie at points. Implied scenes of torture, prison violence, and solitary confinement, manchurian candidate brainwashing, degenerative gambling, not to mention Ken's borderline latent homosexuality.

The shrieking monkey eye in the sky and the disfigured lazy eye baby are also very disturbing. The Shrieking Monkey an analogy for the 24 hour cable news cycle, the disfigured baby the symbol of brute force of the masses; representing those who don't ask questions, because they are too immature emotionally and intellectually to question authority. They serve the evil at its pleasure.

I'm sure these images will be haunting the dreams of many small frys, much like when Bambi's mom was gunned down when we were kids. I still don't like to see that scene.

In the climax scene, the toys are almost engulfed into a swirling torrent of hell fire, when at the last minute they are snatched from eternal damnation by the grace of a trinity of aliens, who save their souls. This opened up some very odd religious symbolism (father son & holy ghost) as the Toy's souls are redeemed from eternal hell fire damnation. But only at the very last minute, and only after they had accepted their fate. They were saved only after making peace with their maker.

What about Walt's alleged penchant for anti-semitism? Not to worry... the toys being sent down a conveyor towards the flaming incinerator was very Buchenwald-like. The toys all hold hands and accept their fate that they're doomed to be a part of Latso's 'Final Toy Solution."

Surprise! All along, Sunnyside Day Care is actually a Disney Concentration Camp!

Latso ends up being symbolically crucified on the front of a garbage truck, sacrificed like Jesus with other sinners prostrate in cross like bondage across the garbage truck radiator on either side of him. Latso deserves his crucifixion, which raises issues about crime and punishment.

I think eggheaded college kids should have to write about the sociologic and theologic implications of this film.

Otherwise, it was really fun!

Your thoughts?

Ebolapox
07-05-2010, 10:42 PM

Mrs. Blowfish wanted to go see this, so we went up to the Indep Square on Saturday Night for the 9:30pm show. Only about 20 people in the audience, and only one or two kids because it was so late.

I watched the movie intently. When I was in college I took several film courses, where we watched popular films to dissect them for greater meaning. Here's my over thought, over-wrought, bombastic critical review of the movie and what it might mean:

I think the movie scared the SH*T out of the little kids that were there. It was very dark for a kiddie movie. Lots of disturbing imagry.

The evil purple bear Latso (voiced by Ned Beatty) was manifest evil. You could tell he had a tortured soul, maybe as a younger man he was gang raped on a float trip...

The movie begins with Woody (the authoritarian figure) losing the confidence and support of the military establishment, as the Army men bail out on him and the others, showing a clear lack of confidence in leadership by the military establishment. When push comes to shove, Woody abandons the other toys as he alone is chosen to go with Andy, much like the downsizing of a company. The other less popular toys are expendable, and lose their home and security, much like in today's real corporate world. Lessons todays kids will soon learn the hard way when they try to find a career in today's job market.

It was a dark and potentially disturbing movie at points. Implied scenes of torture, prison violence, and solitary confinement, manchurian candidate brainwashing, degenerative gambling, not to mention Ken's borderline latent homosexuality.

The shrieking monkey eye in the sky and the disfigured lazy eye baby are also very disturbing. The Shrieking Monkey an analogy for the 24 hour cable news cycle, the disfigured baby the symbol of brute force of the masses; representing those who don't ask questions, because they are too immature emotionally and intellectually to question authority. They serve the evil at its pleasure.

I'm sure these images will be haunting the dreams of many small frys, much like when Bambi's mom was gunned down when we were kids. I still don't like to see that scene.

In the climax scene, the toys are almost engulfed into a swirling torrent of hell fire, when at the last minute they are snatched from eternal damnation by the grace of a trinity of aliens, who save their souls. This opened up some very odd religious symbolism (father son & holy ghost) as the Toy's souls are redeemed from eternal hell fire damnation. But only at the very last minute, and only after they had accepted their fate. They were saved only after making peace with their maker.

What about Walt's alleged penchant for anti-semitism? Not to worry... the toys being sent down a conveyor towards the flaming incinerator was very Buchenwald-like. The toys all hold hands and accept their fate that they're doomed to be a part of Latso's 'Final Toy Solution."

Surprise! All along, Sunnyside Day Care is actually a Disney Concentration Camp!

Latso ends up being symbolically crucified on the front of a garbage truck, sacrificed like Jesus with other sinners prostrate in cross like bondage across the garbage truck radiator on either side of him. Latso deserves his crucifixion, which raises issues about crime and punishment.

I think eggheaded college kids should have to write about the sociologic and theologic implications of this film.

Your thoughts?

:spock:

I guess if you put it THAT way.

QuikSsurfer
07-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Wat

Bowser
07-06-2010, 01:00 AM

Your thoughts?What's next? You going to try and convince us that there is no Santa Claus?

JD10367
07-06-2010, 06:53 AM

Your thoughts?

My thoughts:

1.) It was a cute film about talking toys.
2.) You really need to get laid.

Saulbadguy
07-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Saw it this weekend - liked it quite a bit.