PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Home theatre experts

thecoffeeguy
06-17-2010, 07:44 PM
So, looks like my receiver is going out. Kinda irks me, but oh well.

I need a replacement receiver here. Let me put down what I have and what I am running so recommendations are coordinated.

So, I run a 5.1 system with klipsch speakers.

The following are connected to the receiver (receiver does all the switching)

-DVD player
-Wii
-Cox DVR

That is about it. Eventually I will be upgrading my DVD player to a blu-ray player, but that is about it.

Any good recommendations? I really lack knowledge in this area.

FYI, my current/dying receiver is a Marantz

Appreciate the help.

TCG

How is this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+550W+5.1-Ch.+3D+Pass+Through+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/9846526.p?id=1218199620702&skuId=9846526

Pioneer still pretty good?
I dont have any HDMI stuff at this time, but I think I can request a HDMI DVR box from Cox.
Blu-Ray will be HDMI, so that would be two.

Only other thing to connect would be the wii.

Just want something reliable and good sounding.

notorious
06-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Denon makes some good stuff that isn't too expensive.

A grand will get you a solid receiver.

How much are you willing to dish out?

Jewish Rabbi
06-17-2010, 10:53 PM
I have an Onkyo and am very happy with it. It really depends how much you're looking to spend on these things... Since you have good speakers, just make sure there is enough power for them, and that there are enough ports to expand, and you can't really go wrong.

Jewish Rabbi
06-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Denon makes some good stuff that isn't too expensive.

A grand will get you a solid receiver.

How much are you willing to dish out?

This. Denon is probably the top brand, but that doesn't mean you need that.

Silock
06-17-2010, 11:14 PM
I like my Yamaha.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/about/538962995/yamaha-rxv465bl

The thing that I like most is that it has audio-passthrough on the HDMI, which a lot of models in that price range don't have. It's plenty powerful, lots of options, and it has the ability to tune itself based on the speaker positioning in your room.

Good value for the $$. Lasts forever. The last Yamaha receiver I bought was 20 years ago, and it's still humming along.

thecoffeeguy
06-18-2010, 08:34 AM
I am pretty familiar with Denon (and if I recall correctly, Marantz is a sister/brother company to Denon).

As far as how much I am willing to spend, under $500 would be ideal.
I dont need anything super fancy. The things that I am most concerned with are:

-good sound
-reliable
-ability to connect my devices.

I have been out of the home theatre realm for quite some time now, so my knowledge is lacking, big time.

I do have a 42" plasma TV, 1080i. It is a commericial line Panasonic, so it has no internal speakers (which I preferred). So all my sound for all my inputs comes through the receiver and 5.1 system.

can anyone tell me what audio-passthrough is?

I dont have any HDMI devices yet, but eventually will with blu-ray and when i ask my cable company to give me a HDMI DVR box.

notorious
06-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Yamaha would be an excellent way to go at that price range. You can also find a decent Denon product at that price.

I love Harman products (Especially JBL) but their receivers have been a big letdown for me lately. I would avoid them to be honest.

thecoffeeguy
06-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Yamaha would be an excellent way to go at that price range. You can also find a decent Denon product at that price.

I love Harman products (Especially JBL) but their receivers have been a big letdown for me lately. I would avoid them to be honest.

Thanks.
I will look into them.

Everytime I think of Yamaha, I think of dirt bikes. hehhe

Any recommendations on a model?

thecoffeeguy
06-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Ok...looking at these two:

Just looking at bestbuy right now. Unlikely I will be buying it there.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Denon+-+600W+5.1-Ch.+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/9878176.p?id=1218187475755&skuId=9878176

Question on this Denon receiver:
What does it mean when it says: 5.1 channel input = NO
Confused on that one.
But the manual shows you how to setup 5.1?

Second one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Yamaha+-+525W+5.1-Ch.+A/V+3D+Pass+Through*+Home+Theater+Receiver/9785055.p?skuId=9785055&id=1218173777379

What does it mean when it says "Pass through"?

Thanks for the help.

notorious
06-18-2010, 11:47 AM
5.1 input-NO : There are no individual Analog 5.1 inputs. It's no big deal considering probably 1% of home theaters actually use them on a traditional receiver. Back when Dolby Pro Logic became mainstream, 5.1 inputs were nice to have because you could just upgrade your pre-amp instead of the whole receiver. Now days it doesn't mean much.

Pass-Through: I believe this means that you can run an HDMI signal right through the receiver and still have it pass the signal uncolored even with the receiver off. Very handy if you want to use TV volume at night instead of full-blown 5.1 or 7.1. Since you have no audio on your TV, it basically means you could watch the TV without having the receiver turned on.

BTW, my father's one complaint about his Yamaha was that he had to have it turned on to get the HDMI signal to the TV. It wouldn't be a problem for you, though.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Check out Accessories4Less. They sell high quality refurb receivers (Marantz, Onkyo, etc.) with full warranties and they are authorized sellers.

I got an Onkyo 805 from there in January of '09 for 600 bucks. It's one of the best receivers, relative to the quality of the build and the features for the price, of any receiver ever made.

Actually, Onkyo still hasn't made another receiver in that line that is comparable for less than 1500 bucks.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-18-2010, 11:56 AM
5.1 input-NO : There are no individual Analog 5.1 inputs. It's no big deal considering probably 1% of home theaters actually use them on a traditional receiver. Back when Dolby Pro Logic became mainstream, 5.1 inputs were nice to have because you could just upgrade your pre-amp instead of the whole receiver. Now days it doesn't mean much.

Pass-Through: I believe this means that you can run an HDMI signal right through the receiver and still have it pass the signal uncolored even with the receiver off. Very handy if you want to use TV volume at night instead of full-blown 5.1 or 7.1. Since you have no audio on your TV, it basically means you could watch the TV without having the receiver turned on.

BTW, my father's one complaint about his Yamaha was that he had to have it turned on to get the HDMI signal to the TV. It wouldn't be a problem for you, though.

Actually, pass through is whether or not it will scale the picture, or just pass the digital information directly to the TV. You can also turn it on or off.

Whether or not you want the receiver to manipulate the picture is dependent upon your TV and the individual input source.

HQV Reon is the gold standard for scalars in a receiver. Faroudja is pretty good, but if you have a really good TV, just let the TV do the picture adjustments.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Here's a really good deal if you can spend 850 bucks:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR1007/Onkyo/TX-NR1007-THX-Ultra2-Plus-135-watts-Channel-9.2-Network-Receiver/1.html

Bill Lundberg
06-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Ok...looking at these two:

Just looking at bestbuy right now. Unlikely I will be buying it there.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Denon+-+600W+5.1-Ch.+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/9878176.p?id=1218187475755&skuId=9878176

Question on this Denon receiver:
What does it mean when it says: 5.1 channel input = NO
Confused on that one.
But the manual shows you how to setup 5.1?

Second one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Yamaha+-+525W+5.1-Ch.+A/V+3D+Pass+Through*+Home+Theater+Receiver/9785055.p?skuId=9785055&id=1218173777379

What does it mean when it says "Pass through"?

Thanks for the help.

I have that Denon receiver and I love it.

notorious
06-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Pass-Through: I believe this means that you can run an HDMI signal right through the receiver and still have it pass the signal uncolored even with the receiver off.

Actually, pass through is whether or not it will scale the picture, or just pass the digital information directly to the TV.

I should have been a little more clear. Thanks for cleaning up my mess, Hamas.

Boon
06-19-2010, 07:38 AM
I've been running an Onkyo for 15+ years with no troubles.
Happy with its performance/reliability.

thecoffeeguy
07-22-2010, 03:36 PM
So looks like I am going to pull the trigger on this receiver today. Old one is on its last legs.

Anyway, I like the Denon AVR591. I can get it $315 shipped and delivered.
Here it is:

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/5302.asp

A question though and this is just me not being knowledgeable in home theater is this.

I have a DVD player, DVR and a wii connected to my current setup.
None currently use HDMI.
My question is, this receiver has 4 HDMI inputs and I am not sure if I am going to run into issues trying to hook up my DVD player, DVR and wii to this because none of them currently use HDMI.

Now in the future, I am going to go the blu-ray route, which will use HDMI as well as my DVR (DVR might be sooner than later).

With that in mind, could I run into trouble trying to hookup my current components to this receiver? wasn't sure and thought I would ask.

Thanks.

TCG

thecoffeeguy
07-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Think I figured it out.

Only one video input, others are HDMI. So, I would need to go HDMI on my blu-ray and DVR and then plug the Wii into the video input?

Would that work?

Then I have to buy a blade for my TV so I can get a HDMI input on my TV.

Baby Lee
07-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Think I figured it out.

Only one video input, others are HDMI. So, I would need to go HDMI on my blu-ray and DVR and then plug the Wii into the video input?

Would that work?

So far as strictly video is concerned, at the very least you can directly input the video into your monitor/TV. MoF, if you're dealing with lesser [s-vid, composite] I'd recommend that, as the receiver can only deteriorate the signal.

If you want to exclusively video switch through the Denon, it looks like you have 4 HDMI, 1 Component, 1 S-Video, and 3 composite inputs. Those are listed in order of desireability/quality. I can't tell exactly, but I would imagine that the 4 HDMI are the four video input choices you have on this model, then the Component and S-Vid are a sub-circuit of 2 of those and the 3 composite are sub-circuits of those two and one more.

Like this

HDMI 1 - only
HDMI 2 - Component - Composite
HDMI 3 - S-Vid - Composite
HDMI 4 - Composite

HDMI gives you up to 1080p, depending on source material. Also provides audio without separate audio cabling
Component gives you 1080i and 720p, it's capable of 1080p, but DRM restricts it. You need separate audio leads.
S-Vid is standard def [480i] but provides better color separation than composite.
Composite is the most basic 480i single signal carrier line.
Component will give you

thecoffeeguy
07-22-2010, 04:55 PM
So far as strictly video is concerned, at the very least you can directly input the video into your monitor/TV. MoF, if you're dealing with lesser [s-vid, composite] I'd recommend that, as the receiver can only deteriorate the signal.

If you want to exclusively video switch through the Denon, it looks like you have 4 HDMI, 1 Component, 1 S-Video, and 3 composite inputs. Those are listed in order of desireability/quality. I can't tell exactly, but I would imagine that the 4 HDMI are the four video input choices you have on this model, then the Component and S-Vid are a sub-circuit of 2 of those and the 3 composite are sub-circuits of those two and one more.

Like this

HDMI 1 - only
HDMI 2 - Component - Composite
HDMI 3 - S-Vid - Composite
HDMI 4 - Composite

HDMI gives you up to 1080p, depending on source material. Also provides audio without separate audio cabling
Component gives you 1080i and 720p, it's capable of 1080p, but DRM restricts it. You need separate audio leads.
S-Vid is standard def [480i] but provides better color separation than composite.
Composite is the most basic 480i single signal carrier line.
Component will give you

Got it.
Makes sense.
So, in reality, this is would I should/need to do:

My current 42" Plasma does not have HDMI in it. However, I can buy a terminal/blade board which slides into the side of the TV and gives me a HDMI input. I then can plug my receiver into my TV directly via HDMI.

Then, I could hook up my DVR via HDMI.
I then can purchase a blu-ray and hook it up via HDMI.

Lastly, the wii would just hook up as is (cant recall, but its not HDMI).

That sound about right?

Costs about $100 for the terminal board and whatever the going rate is for a blu-ray player.

One other thing I read was getting a 3:1 component switch, but those are about $100 bucks anyway, which would pay for the terminal board.

Any suggestions?

JASONSAUTO
07-22-2010, 05:43 PM

my last harmon receiver shot the shit after only 2 years.

worked fine on a saturday night. turned it off and sunday morn. no workie.
Posted via Mobile Device

Baby Lee
07-23-2010, 08:34 AM
can anyone tell me what audio-passthrough is?

As confusing as it sounds, just what it sounds like. Passing the audio stream through without altering it. No Dolby pro-logic, DTS, hall, stadium, jazz, effects, etc, no upsampling. Just the unaltered audio.

Re: the video hookups, do you have info on what inputs your Plasma does have?

Like I said earlier, anything that isn't HDMI [and possibly Component] is best served going directly to the monitor, unless you don't want to switch inputs when you switch devices [ie, just set the monitor to HDMI 1 coming from the receiver, and let the receiver switch inputs for you].

Swanman
07-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Think I figured it out.

Would that work?

You will be happy with Denon, they make a great product and that's a helluva price.

It's apparent they are phasing out optical audio (only 1 input on that receiver). I have a Harman Kardan pre-hdmi with 4 optical inputs.

4 hdmi inputs is a good thing. You will need to install hdmi on your tv as your receiver doesn't output video via component, only via hdmi and composite (shitty). If you can get the hdmi dvr and the blu-ray, those will go via hdmi and your wii could plug into the component input on the receiver.

Swanman
07-23-2010, 09:10 AM
I am having a home theater built in my new place (a project I have been saving up for for years). They are putting this tank in there for the AV receiver:

http://www.integrahometheater.com/model.cfm?m=DTR-70.1&class=Receiver&p=f

thecoffeeguy
07-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Well suck me sideways. Just found out some frustrating news.

I bought my current tv, a Panasonic 42" Plasma TV about 4 years ago. I went with a commercial line (basically, no builtin speakers/tuner) and just a nice clean border. Figured since this was going to be hooked up to my tuner and my surround sound, I dug it.

Anyway, it does not have a HDMI input but you can order terminal boards that add a HDMI input. Knowing this when I bought the TV, I kept that in mind so when I was ready, I would go blu-ray. Makes sense right?

So I contact the seller of my TV asking me for the terminal board so I can order. Wouldn't you know it, they discontinued making that terminal board for my model of TV! *sigh* That pissed me off.

They hard to come by is what I am told. No idea why they stopped making them.

So, now, I think I am stuck. Because I was goign to buy the terminal board for HDMI to my TV. Then I was going to buy this receiver and hook up my DVR, buy a blu-ray and run both through HDMI. Then I only needed to hook up my Wii. Well, that plan is shot now.

Thinking, I have a couple of options.

I can go with Denons last year model, the 590, which has more inputs that I would need. Funny enough, its about $50 more.

Or, I could buy a component switch (not familiar with these). Not sure how much they cost.

Lastly, I could buy another TV with builtin HDMI. Quick pricing and I can buy a 42" LCD for around $700. What would i do with my current TV? Could try and sell it I guess.

I keep seeing dollar signs spin around in my head.

So damn...feel like im in a bit of a bind.

Baby Lee
07-23-2010, 01:04 PM
What do you have on the Plasma. Any DVI or VGA? Or is it just Composite? [That would be strange if it's indeed HD to have no HD inputs].

Swanman
07-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Well suck me sideways. Just found out some frustrating news.

I bought my current tv, a Panasonic 42" Plasma TV about 4 years ago. I went with a commercial line (basically, no builtin speakers/tuner) and just a nice clean border. Figured since this was going to be hooked up to my tuner and my surround sound, I dug it.

Anyway, it does not have a HDMI input but you can order terminal boards that add a HDMI input. Knowing this when I bought the TV, I kept that in mind so when I was ready, I would go blu-ray. Makes sense right?

So I contact the seller of my TV asking me for the terminal board so I can order. Wouldn't you know it, they discontinued making that terminal board for my model of TV! *sigh* That pissed me off.

They hard to come by is what I am told. No idea why they stopped making them.

So, now, I think I am stuck. Because I was goign to buy the terminal board for HDMI to my TV. Then I was going to buy this receiver and hook up my DVR, buy a blu-ray and run both through HDMI. Then I only needed to hook up my Wii. Well, that plan is shot now.

Thinking, I have a couple of options.

I can go with Denons last year model, the 590, which has more inputs that I would need. Funny enough, its about $50 more.

Or, I could buy a component switch (not familiar with these). Not sure how much they cost.

Lastly, I could buy another TV with builtin HDMI. Quick pricing and I can buy a 42" LCD for around $700. What would i do with my current TV? Could try and sell it I guess.

I keep seeing dollar signs spin around in my head.

So damn...feel like im in a bit of a bind.

I think I found you a solution. Try this Denon receiver:

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4891.asp

Assuming your TV has a component video input (it pretty much has to if it's an HDTV without HDMI), this receiver will get what you need. Here is how you connect shit:

DVR - HDMI to receiver
Blu-ray - HDMI to receiver
Wii - Component (or composite) to receiver
Receiver - Component video out to TV

You will have sound for all components through your receiver and all the video from your components will have their video output through the receiver to the tv via the component video out.

Or......if your tv is an older HDTV, it may have a DVI input (looks kinda like a computer printer hookup just smaller). If that's the case, you can use the cheaper Denon receiver and purchase a cable that converts HDMI to DVI (cable is hdmi female at one end and dvi male on the other side that goes into the tv). Connect that cable from your receiver to the TV via the receiver's HDMI out. You can get those cords for like $10.

thecoffeeguy
07-23-2010, 02:48 PM
I think I found you a solution. Try this Denon receiver:

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4891.asp

Assuming your TV has a component video input (it pretty much has to if it's an HDTV without HDMI), this receiver will get what you need. Here is how you connect shit:

DVR - HDMI to receiver
Blu-ray - HDMI to receiver
Wii - Component (or composite) to receiver
Receiver - Component video out to TV

You will have sound for all components through your receiver and all the video from your components will have their video output through the receiver to the tv via the component video out.

Or......if your tv is an older HDTV, it may have a DVI input (looks kinda like a computer printer hookup just smaller). If that's the case, you can use the cheaper Denon receiver and purchase a cable that converts HDMI to DVI (cable is hdmi female at one end and dvi male on the other side that goes into the tv). Connect that cable from your receiver to the TV via the receiver's HDMI out. You can get those cords for like $10.

Ahh...ya, that might just work.
My TV is about 4 years old, panasonic 42" Plasma HDTV 1080i. I am pretty sure it has component video.

It is a little bit more expensive, but if it gets me away from having to buy a TV now, thats great. Also, when I do upgrade my TV which will have builtin HDMI, this receiver will fit the bill as well. But that would work? I mean, connecting blu-ray and DVR via HDMI to the receiver, then connect receiver to TV via component video? I really suck at home theater stuff. hehe

Damn I love Chiefsplanet. :)

Thanks Swanman. I appreciate it.

Baby Lee
07-23-2010, 03:09 PM
If you have a panny model #, we might be able to locate the DVI/VGA input for it if it has one.

Looks kind of like these

http://www.bomara.com/avocent/images/da1200d-3.jpg

thecoffeeguy
07-23-2010, 03:23 PM
If you have a panny model #, we might be able to locate the DVI/VGA input for it if it has one.

Looks kind of like these

I will see if i can find it, but I dont think it has one.

Swanman
07-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Ahh...ya, that might just work.
My TV is about 4 years old, panasonic 42" Plasma HDTV 1080i. I am pretty sure it has component video.

It is a little bit more expensive, but if it gets me away from having to buy a TV now, thats great. Also, when I do upgrade my TV which will have builtin HDMI, this receiver will fit the bill as well. But that would work? I mean, connecting blu-ray and DVR via HDMI to the receiver, then connect receiver to TV via component video? I really suck at home theater stuff. hehe

Damn I love Chiefsplanet. :)

Thanks Swanman. I appreciate it.

Yes, it should work. The difference between HDMI and component is that hdmi carries both the audio and video signals, where component only does video. Since you don't need the tv to receive audio signals, that's not an issue. The picture quality is essentially the same between component and hdmi. Some say hdmi has a slightly better picture, I don't see it. I have hooked up many HD sources via component and it always looks the same to me.

Swanman
07-23-2010, 04:01 PM

Looks kind of like these

If your tv does have that, just buy an hdmi to dvi cord instead of getting the more expensive receiver. Let me know if it does have that, and I can link you to some cheap cords.

thecoffeeguy
07-25-2010, 09:36 PM
This is going to sound crazy, but I was able to land a Denon AVR-1910 receiver for almost the same cost as a Denon AVR 591.

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4858.asp

I got it on sale plus an extra coupon and it came out to $350.

It has exactly what I need. Two component inputs and 4 HDMI inputs, so when I make the switch over to HDMI, I am good to go.

Order and looking forward to installing it!

Thanks for the help!

Swanman
07-26-2010, 08:35 AM
This is going to sound crazy, but I was able to land a Denon AVR-1910 receiver for almost the same cost as a Denon AVR 591.

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4858.asp

I got it on sale plus an extra coupon and it came out to $350.

It has exactly what I need. Two component inputs and 4 HDMI inputs, so when I make the switch over to HDMI, I am good to go.

Order and looking forward to installing it!

Thanks for the help!

Nice receiver. That also has component video out, so you can use it until you get hdmi on your tv or a tv with hdmi. It also has 7.1, so if you decide to go that route it is pretty sweet. I had that in my condo home theater and will have it in the theater I am having built.

thecoffeeguy
07-26-2010, 10:08 AM
Nice receiver. That also has component video out, so you can use it until you get hdmi on your tv or a tv with hdmi. It also has 7.1, so if you decide to go that route it is pretty sweet. I had that in my condo home theater and will have it in the theater I am having built.

Ya, pretty excited about it.
Was shocked what I got it for, compared to some of the other receivers.

Should be here August 2nd....grr....it was like $80 more to have it here by Friday.

hehe...

My first Denon line receiver. I look forward to it.

Thanks Swanman.