PDA

View Full Version : Media Glenn Beck is doing literary fiction? Currently #1 on Amazon...

Taco John
06-19-2010, 02:27 AM
I went tonight to check what the best sellers on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/books/ref=pd_ts_zgc_b_books_mot1?pf_rd_p=475709271&pf_rd_s=right-3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=283155&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=109KRD8A5DGSQXZE5H8J). I was stupified when I found that the best selling book right now is by Glenn Beck, called The Overton Window (http://www.amazon.com/Overton-Window-Glenn-Beck/dp/1439184305/ref=pd_ts_b_1?ie=UTF8&s=books).

Then I look down the list to #4, and I see that it's Hayek's, "The Road to Surfdom (http://www.amazon.com/Road-Serfdom-Documents-Definitive-Collected/dp/0226320553/ref=pd_ts_b_4?ie=UTF8&s=books)." After trying to make sense of this, I found out that Glenn Beck had a program about this book about a week ago.

I knew Glenn Beck was a powerful media figure, but wow... I didn't realize he swung this kind of bat. I did note that he's not on the NY Times best seller list, so it appears that his reach is contained to his audience. But what an active audience that is.

Direckshun
06-19-2010, 02:37 AM
It's truly not surprising.

He's a beast of talk radio. And talk radio, and conservative media in general, takes the "cult of personality" notion and truly runs with it.

Thig Lyfe
06-19-2010, 02:50 AM
he's made his whole career on fiction lol get it

srsly tho he's fuckin' full of shit (duh)

Taco John
06-19-2010, 03:51 AM
It's truly not surprising.

He's a beast of talk radio. And talk radio, and conservative media in general, takes the "cult of personality" notion and truly runs with it.

It's kind of silly for you to comment like that when your side took that strategy to the White House.

blaise
06-19-2010, 08:09 AM
It's kind of silly for you to comment like that when your side took that strategy to the White House.

Hope. Change. Historical Presidential Election.

Reaper16
06-19-2010, 09:01 AM
It is unlikely that a novel with the words "A Thriller" directly underneath the title is aspiring to be literary fiction.

Direckshun
06-19-2010, 09:03 AM

Even if that were the case, I'll take Obama over Beck any day of the week.

Ebolapox
06-19-2010, 09:11 AM

truly a
http://www.meierzone.com/archives/2004/images/20041103-002.jpg

and

http://www.meierzone.com/archives/2004/images/20041103-001.jpg

situation we have here.

PunkinDrublic
06-19-2010, 09:14 AM
A lot of times when you're seeing so many conservative authors on the best seller list is because of bulk sales. Not denying Becks followership but I have read about in many cases where conservative groups will buy up a lot of conservative books to give out at their conventions and keep their authors on the best seller list. I know the NY Times best seller list used to have an asterisk that denoted bulk sales.

ClevelandBronco
06-19-2010, 11:45 AM

Were you interrupted in the middle of this post or did you intend for it to be this meatless?

I come here with an appetite and you're serving this chilled tofu soup?

|Zach|
06-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Hard to begrudge the guy for all the money he makes off of certain people. He has his niche. He knows what they wanna hear.

Taco John
06-19-2010, 01:19 PM
I can't say I'm a huge fan of Beck's by any stretch, but I approve of anybody who is exposing people to Hayek.

NewChief
06-19-2010, 01:42 PM
It is unlikely that a novel with the words "A Thriller" directly underneath the title is aspiring to be literary fiction.

ROFL

It's ironic use of genre fiction's conventions. Beck rolls meta style.

BucEyedPea
06-19-2010, 01:47 PM
A lot of times when you're seeing so many conservative authors on the best seller list is because of bulk sales. Not denying Becks followership but I have read about in many cases where conservative groups will buy up a lot of conservative books to give out at their conventions and keep their authors on the best seller list. I know the NY Times best seller list used to have an asterisk that denoted bulk sales.

Link?

BucEyedPea
06-19-2010, 01:50 PM
I saw the book the other day at Books A Million. I was surprised it was fiction and wasn't sure it was the same Beck. My daughter and I loved the cover! So we analyzed the use of aerial perspective and the environment created on it. Then we went home.

I'll get it at the library when ready and until I hear reviews.

Pitt Gorilla
06-19-2010, 01:51 PM
It's kind of silly for you to comment like that when your side took that strategy to the White House.How does that make it silly?

BucEyedPea
06-19-2010, 02:03 PM
How does that make it silly?

Because it's the same cult of personality he was complaining about.

He just fails to see the difference between one who holds the coercive power of the state in their hands and a media personality. The former is more ominous. Just not when it's the utopia you want. A utopia where the govt forces you to do certain things, operates above the law etc. There's no such force with a media personality—one is free to be a fan or not.

googlegoogle
06-19-2010, 07:12 PM
God bless America.

whoman69
06-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Is it possible for any book written by Beck not to be considered fiction?

stevieray
06-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Beck definitely has some pull..books he mentions rise up pretty quick.

I think it's great he's strated a fire where people are hungry about the history of the Country.

blaise
06-19-2010, 11:19 PM

In my younger days I managed a bookstore and the conservative books sold well. I'm not saying they don't do stuff do boost their sales, but judging from what I saw getting sold I have no reason to believe those books wouldn't get near the top of a bestseller list on their own. Doesn't mean it's any good, though. The stuff that sold was Danielle Steele type crap, movie tie-ins, and political books.

notorious
06-20-2010, 11:38 AM

Nope.

He has a shitload of listeners on his show that are very loyal. That translates to a lot of books being sold.

Glenn knows what kind of content draws his type of audience, and he is a master at presenting that information in an entertaining way.

Listen to a far-left radio show sometime. The contenet is just as extreme as his, but they absolutely suck at presenting it thus making it very boring.

PunkinDrublic
06-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Nope.

He has a shitload of listeners on his show that are very loyal. That translates to a lot of books being sold.

Glenn knows what kind of content draws his type of audience, and he is a master at presenting that information in an entertaining way.

Listen to a far-left radio show sometime. The contenet is just as extreme as his, b
ut they absolutely suck at presenting it thus making it very boring.

Look at the NY Times best seller list. Whenever you see daggers next to the book listed it means it was helped by bulk sales.

Guru
06-20-2010, 01:29 PM
You should check the history of all his books. They have all been long time #1 bestsellers. Not just for a week either. For months.