PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV 100 Best Films of World Cinema

kpic
06-19-2010, 08:09 AM
http://www.empireonline.com/features/100-greatest-world-cinema-films/default.asp?film=1

These are the top 100 non English language films (although some were remade in English)

I have seen most in the top 10, I agree with Seven Samurai #1, and loved Battle of Algiers & Wages of Fear but the Seventh Seal?? I just did not follow it at all!

Reaper16
06-19-2010, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the link. I'm going to read it all through work today.

phisherman
06-19-2010, 08:32 AM
some great films in there.

especially like Solaris, Hard Boiled, 400 Blows, Jules and Jim, The Grand Illusion, heck, most are very good.

Seventh Seal is a masterpiece, but I think you have to be a Bergman fan to really enjoy it. frankly I've always liked Wild Strawberries more.

Useful Idiot
06-19-2010, 09:42 AM
y tu mama tambien @ #20? ......yikes. I'd put Je vais bien, ne t'en fais pas AND Abre Los Ojos ahead of that film.

Lola rennt, Das Leben der Anderen, Das weiße Band, Nirgendwo in Afrika, and Der Himmel über Berlin should all be in the top 50, and at the very least, ahead of Der Untergang. imo.

irishjayhawk
06-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Y Tu Mama Tambien was superb though.

irishjayhawk
06-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Pan's Labyrinth at 5. I bet people have problems with that (I don't, especially considering I disagree with many of the top 4. Course, I have a bias with older movies.

Buck
06-19-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm going to watch Pan's Labyrinth later today. Never seen it. Thanks for the list, my netflix appreciates it. PS, the ultra mega super cut of Seven Samuri is on Netflix streaming. It's 3 hrs 26 min long. I want to see it but that's a he'll of a sitting.

TrickyNicky
06-19-2010, 10:38 AM
The "What Not to Say" caption bubbles are hilarious.

Reaper16
06-19-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm fine with Y tu mama tambien being #20. I love that film.

Not enough Ozu on the list. I can't see how Floating Weeds isn't a top 30, Hell, top 20 film.

TrickyNicky
06-19-2010, 11:28 AM
This is a good list. Plenty of stuff I've never seen or even heard of. One glaring omission - Harakiri. But I'm happy to see Ran and City of God represented. Both are favorites.

Miles
06-19-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm going to watch Pan's Labyrinth later today. Never seen it. Thanks for the list, my netflix appreciates it. PS, the ultra mega super cut of Seven Samuri is on Netflix streaming. It's 3 hrs 26 min long. I want to see it but that's a he'll of a sitting.

I wasn't even aware there was another cut of Seven Samurai. The running time definitely doesn't drag.

Buck
06-19-2010, 12:00 PM
I wasn't even aware there was another cut of Seven Samurai. The running time definitely doesn't drag.

Yep, look it up on wikipedia. There are like 4 different cuts.

Miles
06-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Seventh Seal is a masterpiece, but I think you have to be a Bergman fan to really enjoy it. frankly I've always liked Wild Strawberries more.

Wild Strawberries is probably is my favorite Bergman as well though I have probably only seen 4 or 5 of his.

Miles
06-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Yep, look it up on wikipedia. There are like 4 different cuts.

Don't watch those then. It really doesn't seem that long and doesn't drag a bit. Legitimately among the best movies ever made.

phisherman
06-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Wild Strawberries is probably is my favorite Bergman as well though I have probably only seen 4 or 5 of his.

Smiles of a Summer Night is a very close 2nd for me.

Fanny and Alexander is right behind that.

Miles
06-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Nice list to bookmark. There are a lot of those I have been meaning to see for a while and need to start picking them up at the library.

Even at #13 "The Rules of the Game" is probably a little low and a few of the more recent greats like "Let the Right one In" are a bit high.

Miles
06-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Smiles of a Summer Night is a very close 2nd for me.

Fanny and Alexander is right behind that.

I have been meaning to watch both of those for quite a while. While I really appreciate his films, it does take a little motivation to sit down and watch something that you know going in will very likely be difficult and depressing.

Reaper16
06-19-2010, 12:50 PM
BTW - it seems like half the list or more is available for instant streaming through Netflix. I was pleased as punch to see that the crazy-sounding "Un Chien Andalou" is up on streaming.

Miles
06-19-2010, 12:58 PM
BTW - it seems like half the list or more is available for instant streaming through Netflix. I was pleased as punch to see that the crazy-sounding "Un Chien Andalou" is up on streaming.

I think Un Chien Andalou might be public domain. At least that is how I remember seeing it a few years back.

Red Brooklyn
06-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks for posting this.

I've only seen 13 of these flicks. That's a shame. I'm a little surprised Talk To Her isn't on this thing, though.

But solid list as far as I can tell. 'Pan's Lab.' is way too high. But I'm fine with 'Y tu Mama's placement. And I'm glad Amelie made the top 5. Great little movie, that.

Miles
06-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Off the top of my head "The Lives of Others" is the only big omission. Outstanding movie.

Red Brooklyn
06-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Off the top of my head "The Lives of Others" is the only big omission. Outstanding movie.
Not familiar. I'll have to add it to the list.

Red Brooklyn
06-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Also, I LOVED 'I'm Not Scared.' I was sad to see it absent from the list.

Miles
06-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Not familiar. I'll have to add it to the list.

It was up against Pan's Labyrinth for best foreign film a few years ago and won. I loved Pan's Labyrinth but can't really argue with the results.

Red Brooklyn
06-19-2010, 02:50 PM
that's right. I looked it up after I posted and saw the poster. that jogged my memory. I really wanted to see it. The Lives of Others. I saw Pan's Labryinth. :)

CosmicPal
06-19-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm surprised I've seen a few of those already. I didn't see The Hairdresser's Husband in there though. That's a great film. I'm currently downloading Let the Right One In to watch it later...That sounds like an interesting film.

Red Brooklyn
06-19-2010, 03:06 PM
I'm currently downloading Let the Right One In to watch it later...That sounds like an interesting film.
Haven't seen it myself, but all of my friends love the crap out of it. One of these days I'll get around to it.

Let us know what you think after you've checked it out.

Miles
06-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Haven't seen it myself, but all of my friends love the crap out of it. One of these days I'll get around to it.

It is really damn good but has become overrated a bit and very much on that list. IMO it shouldn't turn up on a list next to the colors trilogy. Temper your expectations of watching something amazing and you should really like it as well.

Red Brooklyn
06-19-2010, 03:32 PM
It is really damn good but has become overrated a bit and very much on that list. IMO it shouldn't turn up on a list next to the colors trilogy. Temper your expectations of watching something amazing and you should really like it as well.
That's great advice, sir. I learned that lesson the hard way after I sat down to Pan's Labryinth. I was expecting the single greatest achievement in cinema since Citizen Kane. My expectations were way to high.

irishjayhawk
06-19-2010, 04:32 PM

I didn't go through them all (Curse Empire for a 1 page per view layout). But if that isn't on there, the list is utter rubbish.

Miles
06-19-2010, 04:52 PM
I didn't go through them all (Curse Empire for a 1 page per view layout). But if that isn't on there, the list is utter rubbish.

I didn't see it but the one movie per click is brutal. The Lives of Others was easily among the best of the past 10 years whatever the language.

blaise
06-19-2010, 10:45 PM
I didn't see it but the one movie per click is brutal. The Lives of Others was easily among the best of the past 10 years whatever the language.

Yeah, I don't know why these things never can just have a list of the titles if you want to scan through.

I thought maybe Kontroll would be on there. That was a pretty good film set in the Budapest subway system.

TrickyNicky
06-19-2010, 11:32 PM
#100-51

100 Night Watch
99 Iron Monkey
98 Ran
97 Farewell My Concubine
96 Delicatessen
95 Way of the Dragon
94 Yeelen
93 The Fourth Man
92 Ghost in the Shell
91 Goodbye Lenin
90 Rififi
89 Loves of a Blonde
88 Leningrad Cowboys
87 Andrei Rublev
86 Run Lola Run
85 Il Conformista
84 Orphee
83 Xala
82 Battle Royale
81 The Host
80 Mother India
79 Bande A Part
78 Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
77 House of Flying Daggers
76 The Idiots
75 A Bout de Souffle
74 Devdas
73 Hidden
72 Ten Canoes
71 Persona
70 Hard Boiled
69 Ringu
68 Solaris
67 The Vanishing
66 Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
65 Un Chien Andalou
64 Wings of Desire
63 A Prophet
62 8 1/2
61 Knife in the Water
60 Jean de Florette / Manon des Sources
59 Heimat
58 Persepolis
57 Central Do Brasil
56 Belle de Jour
55 Lagaan
54 Festen
53 All About My Mother
52 Touki Bouki
51 Akira

TrickyNicky
06-19-2010, 11:44 PM
#50-01

50 Closely Observed Trains
49 M. Hulot’s Holiday
48 Downfall
47 10
46 Jules et Jim
45 Suspiria
44 Ikiru
43 Cyrano de Bergerac
42 In the Mood for Love
41 My Neighbour Totoro
40 L’Avventura
39 Le Samourai
38 Ashes And Diamonds
37 Rome Open City
36 Dekalog
35 La Grande Illusion
34 Waltz With Bashir
33 M
32 La Haine
31 Godzilla
30 Infernal Affairs
29 Les Quatres Cent Coups
28 Raise The Red Lantern
27 Cinema Paradiso
26 La Belle et la Bete
25 Das Boot
24 Come And See
23 Spirit of the Beehive
22 Rashomon
21 Nosferatu
20 Y Tu Mama Tambien
19 Aguirre, Wrath of God
18 Oldboy
17 The Apu Trilogy
16 Tokyo Story
15 Let The Right One In
14 Three Colours Trilogy
13 La Regle du Jeu
12 Metropolis
11 La Dolce Vita
10 Spirited Away
09 The Wages of Fear
08 The Seventh Seal
07 City of God
06 Battle of Algiers
05 Pan's Labyrinth
04 Bicycle Thieves
03 Battleship Potemkin
02 Amelie
01 Seven Samurai

Reaper16
06-19-2010, 11:52 PM
Seriously, only one Ozu film? Heresy.

Demonpenz
06-20-2010, 01:30 AM
I wish they would make a dubed version of pans layberith

irishjayhawk
06-20-2010, 07:29 AM
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is there but no The Lives of Others.

I did like to see Persepolis on there.

Reaper16
06-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is there but no The Lives of Others.

I did like to see Persepolis on there.
I like CT,HD. There are a dozen or more films on the list that are worse than CT,HD.

CosmicPal
06-20-2010, 08:31 AM

Well, I watched it last night.

It's good. I loved a particular part in the movie (don't want to give it away) and it made the movie very satisfying.

This film is different, I'll give it that much. It's a vampire movie- only, in this case, the vampire is a 12-year old girl who is desperately seeking the affection of the boy next door. I'd say it is hands-down much, much better than that awful Twilight movie.

If you're looking for slasher/gore- this is not your movie. If you're looking for a smart, atmospheric film about love and revenge- then you'd like it.

I can't say I loved it, because I'm not a vampire-movie fan. But, of all the vampire movies I've seen, this is certainly one of the best. My advice- watch it now. Watch the original film as soon as you can, because Hollywood is making their own version right now. And God knows Hollywood will phuck up a perfectly good movie.

Crush
06-20-2010, 11:10 AM
The "What Not to Say" caption bubbles are hilarious.

This

"No, it's heroes in a half-shell. Turtle power!" LMAO

Jenson71
06-20-2010, 03:58 PM
I've seen 26 of those, but (probably) surprising, I haven't seen Amelie, and I'm really surprised at its rank here. I'll need to do that this week.

Red Brooklyn
06-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Well, I watched it last night.

It's good. I loved a particular part in the movie (don't want to give it away) and it made the movie very satisfying.

This film is different, I'll give it that much. It's a vampire movie- only, in this case, the vampire is a 12-year old girl who is desperately seeking the affection of the boy next door. I'd say it is hands-down much, much better than that awful Twilight movie.

If you're looking for slasher/gore- this is not your movie. If you're looking for a smart, atmospheric film about love and revenge- then you'd like it.

I can't say I loved it, because I'm not a vampire-movie fan. But, of all the vampire movies I've seen, this is certainly one of the best. My advice- watch it now. Watch the original film as soon as you can, because Hollywood is making their own version right now. And God knows Hollywood will phuck up a perfectly good movie.
Thanks for the review and the advice, man. I'm glad to know it's not overly gorey, and I'll check it out as soon as I can. Sounds fun.
I've seen 26 of those, but (probably) surprising, I haven't seen Amelie, and I'm really surprised at its rank here. I'll need to do that this week.
Once I got to the top 5 I was ready to dismiss the list and call BS because Amelie hadn't shown up yet. Thank god, it landed at #2. It's one of the best films I've ever seen. I'm a big fan.

I hope you like it. I never expect people to like the things I like (as much as I like them, at least) but it's a really wonderful movie.

irishjayhawk
06-20-2010, 09:25 PM
I like CT,HD. There are a dozen or more films on the list that are worse than CT,HD.

Can you say B-O-R-I-N-G?

Speaking of foriegn films, I finally watched Downfall. There is a lull in the middle for about an hour but was immediately drawn back in when the general unplugs grenades under the kitchen table.

It could have been shorter, to be sure. Great acting and well crafted - just long.

Reaper16
06-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Can you say B-O-R-I-N-G?

I can, and often do. Not in relationship to CT,HD though.

The Bunk
06-20-2010, 10:47 PM

I watched it not knowing what it was and was blown away. Great flick. I can't believe they are doing an American remake. Ridiculous.

The Lives of Others was also fabulous. They should show that film in history classes.

Pitt Gorilla
06-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Battleship Potemkin is on (AMC) right now.

CosmicPal
06-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Once I got to the top 5 I was ready to dismiss the list and call BS because Amelie hadn't shown up yet. Thank god, it landed at #2. It's one of the best films I've ever seen. I'm a big fan.

Same here- Amelie is such a great story! I absolutely loved the characters and all of their little hiccups in life. The screenplay was absolutely brilliant and poetic. Add in the fact that Audrey Tautou is so dreamy to look at and her character was so damn charming made the entire film a thing of profound beauty.

http://fever2tell.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/amelie.jpg

Red Brooklyn
06-21-2010, 08:57 AM
^ couldn't have said it better myself, CosmicPal.

irishjayhawk
06-21-2010, 02:21 PM
I can, and often do. Not in relationship to CT,HD though.

Explain yourself.

Reaper16
06-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Explain yourself.
Explain why I don't think Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is boring? OK - I was not bored by the movie. Ergo, you know.

irishjayhawk
06-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Explain why I don't think Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is boring? OK - I was not bored by the movie. Ergo, you know.

Ass.

I don't see how you can NOT be bored by it. Virtually nothing happened.

Reaper16
06-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Ass.

I don't see how you can NOT be bored by it. Virtually nothing happened.
When was the last time you saw that movie? Maybe you'd think differently now?

I thought it, of the nominated films for Best Picture that year, should have won. I find it to be a bazillion times better than the winner, Gladiator.

Red Brooklyn
06-21-2010, 03:04 PM
I thought it, of the nominated films for Best Picture that year, should have won. I find it to be a bazillion times better than the winner, Gladiator.
guys, he's right.

Miles
06-21-2010, 06:20 PM
I loved Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

irishjayhawk
06-21-2010, 08:10 PM
When was the last time you saw that movie? Maybe you'd think differently now?

Strong possibility but I don't think it'd unseat Gladiator.

Reaper16
06-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Strong possibility but I don't think it'd unseat Gladiator.
I think Gladiator is terrible. We might be two sides of a coin.

irishjayhawk
06-21-2010, 08:21 PM
I think Gladiator is terrible. We might be two sides of a coin.

I'm guessing you didn't care for the glorified version of events, lack of tangible history and the screenplay?

Curious, what are your thoughts on American Gangster?

Reaper16
06-21-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm guessing you didn't care for the glorified version of events, lack of tangible history and the screenplay?

Curious, what are your thoughts on American Gangster?
I don't think that its a tremendous film, but I really enjoy it all the same. I am a sucker for organized crime stories. American Gangster, that is.

W/r/t Gladiator - yeah, I didn't care for the screenplay. I didn't think it said anything as a film and it didn't entertain me. Blah blah Rome blah blah lack-of-real-characters blah

irishjayhawk
06-21-2010, 08:33 PM
I don't think that its a tremendous film, but I really enjoy it all the same. I am a sucker for organized crime stories. American Gangster, that is.

W/r/t Gladiator - yeah, I didn't care for the screenplay. I didn't think it said anything as a film and it didn't entertain me.

I won't deny Gladiator had nothing to say. But it entertained the hell out of me.

I'll attribute your AG love for being a sucker. That film was also god awful. Too long and utterly pointless. Also, I hated the direction which was a first for me, with respect to Scott. If it weren't for the obvious shortcomings in the screenplay for the recent Robin Hood, I'd have added that Scott has lost his touch.

Reaper16
06-21-2010, 08:35 PM
I won't deny Gladiator had nothing to say. But it entertained the hell out of me.

I'll attribute your AG love for being a sucker. That film was also god awful. Too long and utterly pointless. Also, I hated the direction which was a first for me, with respect to Scott. If it weren't for the obvious shortcomings in the screenplay for the recent Robin Hood, I'd have added that Scott has lost his touch.
I've never cared for Ridley Scott. I was surprised that I didn't hate his direction in AG.

old_geezer
06-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Andrei Tarkovsky is one of my favorite directors. I own Andrei Rublev, Solaris, and Stalker from the Criterion collection and I would reccommend any of them. His pacing is, shall we say, glacial at times, but the movies are masterpieces. Hiroshima Mon Amour and The Passion of Joan of Arc are two others I would highly reccommend. I've been concentrating on the older movies lately as you can tell. :D

phisherman
06-22-2010, 06:59 AM
Tarkovsky is the man.

CosmicPal
06-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Well, we just watched Oldboy and good lawd that was one messed up film! This is sure to please any Quentin Tarantino fan. I think this might actually be the first time I've seen an actor eat a living, slimy creature. This is one dark, gory, revenge flick with some good twists.

KcMizzou
06-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Well, we just watched Oldboy and good lawd that was one messed up film! This is sure to please any Quentin Tarantino fan. I think this might actually be the first time I've seen an actor eat a living, slimy creature. This is one dark, gory, revenge flick with some good twists.I LOVE that movie.

(And yes, I am a Tarantino fan...lol)

CosmicPal
06-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Well, I read some of the posts from that site and it seems a lot of people were very upset that Amores Perros http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/amores_perros/ wasn't listed as one of the best films of world cinema. So, I downloaded it, and we watched it this evening.

I have to say I'd agree with those who complained the movie wasn't listed. It was a great movie. Although, I'd have to say that phucktard Michael Vick would like this movie even better considering there's a lot of dog fighting in it. Being a dog lover, I found it mildly disturbing. (I'm guessing dogs weren't actually harmed in this film). But the film is really about how three lives are intersected by a single car crash. Good story, good acting, some great and harrowing action. Like so many that ranted about it not being in the list, I for one, would have to agree it deserved recognition as one of the best in world cinema.

vailpass
06-28-2010, 08:42 PM
I didn't much know or care about foreign films until I was in Montreal a few years ago when the Festival de Films du Monde was going. Films in every movie house up and down St. Katherines, a drive-in size screen set up in the middle of the ave. Sat on a cafe patio all night watching cool films and drinking some good brews. Very interesting to see other country's versions of Tarentino, Spielberg, etc. etc. and the stories they told about things that were important/relevant in their home lands.

KcMizzou
06-28-2010, 09:36 PM
I didn't much know or care about foreign films until I was in Montreal a few years ago when the Festival de Films du Monde was going. Films in every movie house up and down St. Katherines, a drive-in size screen set up in the middle of the ave. Sat on a cafe patio all night watching cool films and drinking some good brews. Very interesting to see other country's versions of Tarentino, Spielberg, etc. etc. and the stories they told about things that were important/relevant in their home lands.That'd be the way to do it. For me, it's simply the internet. I've seen some fantastic films I'd never have heard of, otherwise.

Jenson71
06-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Tarkovsky is the man.

Why?

I saw Mirror and it was incredibly slow. Had some great visuals, though.

listopencil
06-29-2010, 09:44 PM
Wow, I was surprised to see Spirited Away on that list at #10. I rented it for my kids and watched it with them, we liked it a lot. I think they were nine and seven years old. We watched it on a Friday night when I rented it. The next day I woke up, stumbled into the living room and they were watching it again. For the third time. They literally watched it back-to-back the entire day, until bed time at eight thirty that night. I let them watch it again on Sunday but cut it off when football started. Bear in mind that this is a very long and complicated movie for young children to watch, and they sat through each showing completely riveted. I recommended it to a parent at work and she said the same thing happened with her kids. She had to tear them away from it. I would recommend it to anyone who likes anime.

Miles
06-29-2010, 11:15 PM
Why?

I have never seen it myself, but you started with what may be considered the most difficult film of an already difficult director. Solaris and Stalker were both great but quite slow.

Miles
07-14-2010, 09:47 PM
I thought there was a discussion about this somewhere in the movie thread a while back but couldn't find it. The finally complete version of Metropolis (as complete as it is going to get) from the negatives that were recently discovered is making its way through art theaters right now and will be around on DVD this fall.

http://www.kino.com/metropolis/main.html

Miles
07-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Also a review: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/44582/complete-metropolis-the/

phisherman
07-15-2010, 07:09 AM
Why?

Tarkovsky has just about the best "eye" around.

Typically the camera work in his films counts as a character almost. Best visual sense of any director. The first shot in Solaris of ferns floating in the water will show you that. Absolutely gorgeous.

phisherman
07-15-2010, 07:12 AM
I thought there was a discussion about this somewhere in the movie thread a while back but couldn't find it. The finally complete version of Metropolis (as complete as it is going to get) from the negatives that were recently discovered is making its way through art theaters right now and will be around on DVD this fall.

http://www.kino.com/metropolis/main.html

I'm excited to see this. The DVD version that I have lacks continuity in some spots, which this article references. Damn editors and producers wanting short running times!

Though M. is my favorite Lang film, Metropolis is a close 2nd. Peter Lorre's creepiness in M. is what makes that film for me.

kpic
07-15-2010, 04:36 PM
So I'm trying to catch most of these that at least seem interesting in the top 20 or so and I rent "La Dolce Vita". I saw parts of it once but I was a mere youngster of 20 at that time and I felt that maybe in the past 20 years I may have "grown up" to appreciate it...........well just don't get the praise for it at all, I found it to be very mediocre. Either that or I'm completely out of touch with my "artsy" side.

Next up for me; "Ameile" - most in this thread gives it high marks so guess I'll see if I'm some sort of barbarian when it comes to film tastes or not.

Miles
07-17-2010, 02:44 AM
So I'm trying to catch most of these that at least seem interesting in the top 20 or so and I rent "La Dolce Vita". I saw parts of it once but I was a mere youngster of 20 at that time and I felt that maybe in the past 20 years I may have "grown up" to appreciate it...........well just don't get the praise for it at all, I found it to be very mediocre. Either that or I'm completely out of touch with my "artsy" side.

Next up for me; "Ameile" - most in this thread gives it high marks so guess I'll see if I'm some sort of barbarian when it comes to film tastes or not.

Fellini is really difficult and I haven't gotten a lot out of the ones I have seen. I can see the art behind them but they just don't do much for me. 8 1/2 was pretty good abstract stuff but I hated La Strada.

You should hopefully enjoy Amelie. One of the better movies of the past 10 years or so.