PDA

View Full Version : News By the numbers: BP Oil leak wouldn't fill Superdome

Deberg_1990
06-21-2010, 08:18 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h3j4URYrsMh7yj4KTx6vVKjh4w3AD9GFJBOG1

WASHINGTON Overwhelmed and saddened by the gargantuan size of the Gulf oil spill?

A little mathematical context to the spill size can put the environmental catastrophe in perspective. Viewing it through some lenses, it isn't that huge. The Mississippi River pours as much water into the Gulf of Mexico in 38 seconds as the BP oil leak has done in two months.

On a more human scale, the spill seems more daunting. Take the average-sized living room. The amount of oil spilled would fill 9,200 of them.

Since the BP oil rig exploded on April 20, about 125 million gallons of oil has gushed into the Gulf. That calculation is based on the higher end of the government's range of barrels leaked per day and the oil company BP's calculations for the amount of oil siphoned off. Using the more optimistic end of calculations, the total spill figure is just over 66 million gallons.

For this by-the-numbers exercise, The Associated Press is using the higher figure.

For every gallon of oil that BP's well has gushed into the Gulf of Mexico, there is more than 5 billion gallons of water already in it. And the mighty Mississippi adds another billion gallons every five minutes or so, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

So BP chief executive officer Tony Hayward was factually correct last month when he said the spill was "relatively tiny" compared to what he mischaracterized as a "very big ocean."

But another big number that Hayward provided on Thursday also offers some troubling news. He said the reservoir of oil under the sea that is the source for the leak is believed to hold about 2.1 billion gallons of oil. That leaves about 2 billion gallons left to spew. So there are about 17 gallons of oil underneath the sea floor yet to gush for every gallon that has already fouled the Gulf. If the problem were never fixed, that would mean another two years of oil spilling based on the current flow rate.

More not-so-dreadful context: The amount of oil spilled so far could only fill the cavernous New Orleans Superdome about one-seventh of the way up. On the other hand, it could fill 15 Washington Monuments. If the oil were poured on a football field complete with endzones it would measure nearly 100 yards high.

If you put the oil in gallon milk jugs and lined them up, they would stretch about 10,800 miles. That's a roundtrip from the Gulf to London, BP's headquarters, and a side trip from New Orleans to Washington for Hayward to testify.

BP has spent more than $54.8 million lobbying federal officials in Washington since 2000; that's about 44 cents for every gallon of oil it has spilled. Since 2000, the oil and gas industry along with their employees has contributed $154.2 million to candidates for federal office. That's $1.23 for each gallon of oil spilled. Of that money, 78 percent went to Republicans and the rest to Democrats.

Take the 125 million gallons of oil spilled in the Gulf and convert it to gasoline, which is what Americans mostly use it for. That produces 58 million gallons of gas the amount American drivers burn every three hours and 41 minutes. It's enough to fill up the gas tanks in 3.6 million cars more than those in Louisiana and Mississippi combined.

At $2.75 a gallon for gas the national average that's nearly $160 million worth spilled into the Gulf.

Want your own piece of this spill? If all the oil spilled were divided up and equal amounts given to every American, we would all get about four soda cans full of crude oil that no one really wants.

InChiefsHell
06-21-2010, 08:30 AM
Well, that is strangely comforting, yet the spill still sucks and it's still leaking. But it's nice to have some perspective...

boogblaster
06-21-2010, 08:33 AM
im goin with the gassey-water burning auto ... start the assembly-lines ...

Fish
06-21-2010, 08:36 AM
I feel so much better now.....

Alton deFlat
06-21-2010, 08:43 AM
On the other hand.... spill half a gallon of milk on the floor, and see how big a mess that makes.

Frazod
06-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Somehow I don't think the people whose livelihoods just got flushed down the toilet over this mess will find much comfort in this story.

ArrowheadHawk
06-21-2010, 09:04 AM
So everything is cool then.

Bugeater
06-21-2010, 09:12 AM
Was that article written by this guy by any chance?

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/26/bagdad_bob_large.gif

DaFace
06-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Obviously, more is bad. However, that doesn't mean that less is no big deal.

Mr. Laz
06-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Somehow I don't think the people whose livelihoods just got flushed down the toilet over this mess will find much comfort in this story.
this ... what a stupid ass story

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-21-2010, 09:55 AM
I feel so much better now.....

Me too. Who the fuck misses shrimp anyway?

Fish
06-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Me too. Who the fuck misses shrimp anyway?

I'm more saddened about the pancake batfish....

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-21-2010, 10:01 AM
I'm more saddened about the pancake batfish....

I'm thankful seafood isn't a regualr part of my world and something I constantly crave; I would be fucked.

Rausch
06-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Want your own piece of this spill? If all the oil spilled were divided up and equal amounts given to every American, we would all get about four soda cans...

Um, that's a HUGE fucking problem then.

And it's not done...

ChiefButthurt
06-21-2010, 10:09 AM
The leak seems to be a mystery. What if...just what if this well is connected to the worlds supply of oil? Now what? We go from just a little fucked to real fucked...how will that feel?

POND_OF_RED
06-21-2010, 10:20 AM
The amount of oil spilled so far could only fill the cavernous New Orleans Superdome about one-seventh of the way up.

Sounds like the oil is still treating them like the Aints of the 80's.

GoHuge
06-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Oh well good it's not nearly as many MILLIONS of gallons as once thought.

Also good to know if they were using the Superdome to contain the oil there is plenty of room for hometown refugees to go there because hurricane season is almost here. With our governments brilliance in coordinating around Katrina we need all the facilities possible at FEMA's disposal. Talk about a versatile venue. Home of the Superbowl Champs, storm shelter, potential oil resevoir.

I'll go along with the others and agree with what a stupid fucking article this is. Tell the birds, fish, and other wildlife that have died or gotten the nice spa treatment after being coated in oil it isn't nearly as bad as they think and they need to toughen up. What next? Is BP going to release a statement saying the wildlife that has been killed in this spill was just a process of natural selection?

Has anyone considered that maybe New Orleans is cursed by God and just isn't supposed to exist? Over the last five years one could certainly make the arguement. Seems like an awful lot of bad luck. Half the town is still in ruins and now one of the two biggest industries in and around the the area has killed the other. Whether it be a man made or natural disaster (actually combinations of both) somebody has got that town's number. At least they can play some football!!!

jAZ
06-21-2010, 10:47 AM
What a stupid effort at spin.

This is the oil spill.

http://paulrademacher.com/oilspill/#kansas+city

gblowfish
06-21-2010, 10:58 AM
What a stupid effort at spin.

This is the oil spill.

http://paulrademacher.com/oilspill/#kansas+city

That's a cool tool for understanding the impact. Here is it compared to the KC area:

GoHuge
06-21-2010, 11:04 AM
That's a cool too for understanding the impact. Here is it compared to the KC area:That's not so bad. We'd still have 3/4 of Missouri and Kansas that is inhabitable by living things. I'm sure people outside the metro area know how to make BBQ. Question........is the damage to my home going to be covered under my homeowners policy or are they going to pull that flood insurance shit on me?

kysirsoze
06-21-2010, 11:09 AM
As long as there's more water than oil, we should be fine. /bp

LaChapelle
06-21-2010, 11:35 AM
How many railroad ties could be dipped in that
How many roads would that oil cover before the fine layer of gravel
How much oil could we wring out of chase lounges

Hog Farmer
06-21-2010, 01:10 PM
On the bright side we'll soon be able to just use ocean water to fuel our vehicles.

BigMeatballDave
06-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Me too. Who the fuck misses shrimp anyway?Mmmm...Shrimp...

WV
06-21-2010, 04:12 PM
The last part of that article is the most telling and the most disturbing to me. The fact that Washington accepts so much money from the oil lobby is why the Government isn't busting more balls about this.

They should have already seized their US assets and revoked their drilling permits until the spill was under control IMO.

Mr. Laz
06-21-2010, 04:48 PM
The last part of that article is the most telling and the most disturbing to me. The fact that Washington accepts so much money from the oil lobby is why the Government isn't busting more balls about this.

They should have already seized their US assets and revoked their drilling permits until the spill was under control IMO.

we should, but in reality as long as bribery is legal in washington under the guise of free speech it won't ever happen.

Donger
06-21-2010, 04:55 PM

You almost sound like the US government and BP don't want this well to stop flowing into the Gulf. BP wants it to stop more than anyone.

alnorth
06-21-2010, 04:55 PM

That is a little ridiculous, don't you think? How the hell are they going to pay for anything if they have to shut down? They basically have to get loans backed by promise of future revenue as it is to pay us off, shutting them down would be cutting off our nose to spite our face.

WV
06-21-2010, 06:05 PM
That is a little ridiculous, don't you think? How the hell are they going to pay for anything if they have to shut down? They basically have to get loans backed by promise of future revenue as it is to pay us off, shutting them down would be cutting off our nose to spite our face.

Not really, they are a British based company and certainly all of their eggs aren't tied up in the US. Is this an extreme measure....sure, but I think it this requires an extreme solution. Maybe it would be better to set a time frame before seizing anything, but don't you think they should have figured something out by now? And if not why on earth were they there without a better contingency plan? And let's all be serious and remember that these oil companies make money hand over fist and aren't in any danger of going bankrupt anytime soon.

WV
06-21-2010, 06:07 PM
You almost sound like the US government and BP don't want this well to stop flowing into the Gulf. BP wants it to stop more than anyone.

Sure everyone wants the oil to stop flowing into the gulf, but don't you find it the least bit strange that the Government seems to be pretty complacent and that BP isn't accepting anymore outside help than they are?

Donger
06-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Sure everyone wants the oil to stop flowing into the gulf, but don't you find it the least bit strange that the Government seems to be pretty complacent and that BP isn't accepting anymore outside help than they are?

So, which is it: they want the spill to cease or they don't? What possible benefit does either BP or our government have in letting this continue to spill?

Buck
06-21-2010, 06:17 PM
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh....so you are saying its not that big of a deal after all?

Phew, thats a load off, eh?

WV
06-21-2010, 06:30 PM
So, which is it: they want the spill to cease or they don't? What possible benefit does either BP or our government have in letting this continue to spill?

It's not a matter of whether or not they want the spill to stop; of course they do, it's the fact that politics and the arrogance of BP are preventing a faster resolution. Don't you think the Govt could be doing more to press BP or that BP could be more forth right with information and be willing to try more solutions other than their own? There isn't really anything to be "gained", but it's hard to deny the politics muddying the situation.

BWillie
06-21-2010, 06:32 PM
I'm about to go down to the gulf w/ some barrels. Start barreling it up and reselling it as octane 85 made w/ real seawater. I'm going to make a fortune.

Buck
06-21-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm about to go down to the gulf w/ some barrels. Start barreling it up and reselling it as octane 85 made w/ real seawater. I'm going to make a fortune.

http://theineptowl.com/joomla/images/random/sunny_wild.gif

GoHuge
06-21-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm about to go down to the gulf w/ some barrels. Start barreling it up and reselling it as octane 85 made w/ real seawater. I'm going to make a fortune.Well I guess it depends on what your definition of a "fortune" is. You aren't exactly going to have the market cornered..........but good luck with that.

Buck
06-21-2010, 06:49 PM
<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/TEbauTPC34V3qk5ygeXBkA"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/TEbauTPC34V3qk5ygeXBkA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Donger
06-22-2010, 05:26 AM
It's not a matter of whether or not they want the spill to stop; of course they do, it's the fact that politics and the arrogance of BP are preventing a faster resolution. Don't you think the Govt could be doing more to press BP or that BP could be more forth right with information and be willing to try more solutions other than their own? There isn't really anything to be "gained", but it's hard to deny the politics muddying the situation.

I don't think that there's anything they can do to move faster. Unless I've missed something, they've been at this 24/7 since it started.

penchief
06-22-2010, 07:22 AM
we should, but in reality as long as bribery is legal in washington under the guise of free speech it won't ever happen.

This. With emphasis.

Fat Elvis
06-22-2010, 07:30 AM
http://globaldiplomacy.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/baghdad_bob_1.jpg

I would like to reiterate that you should not worry about a massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico because, as you can see from this map of the world behind me, there is, in fact, no Gulf of Mexico.