PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Baba yetu, yetu uliye

wazu
06-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Okay, for Civilization IV fans - just learned that the main music from the menu screen which I have always loved is The Lord's Prayer, sung in Swahili. Thought you all should know. Always sounded so mystical and tribal, never would have guessed. A lot better than the English versions I've heard.

http://mwanasimba.online.fr/E_songs_baba_yetu.htm

You can listen to it here (http://aimini.net/view/?fid=sQCHMcUrStbV8ieO4Lkn) if you are ignorant of this game and just curious what it sounds like.

Buck
06-21-2010, 11:23 PM
I have Civ Rev on PS3 and enjoy it. Is Civ way better for PC?

wazu
06-21-2010, 11:29 PM

Can't really speak to that, as I have only played in on PC. But yes, it is much better on PC. It achieves near perfection as a computer game. Civ 5 is coming out in the next year or so. I'm actually worried that it can't possibly be as good as Civ 4.

ZootedGranny
06-21-2010, 11:32 PM

Short answer: Yes.

Civ Rev is essentially Civ with training wheels.

Kraus
06-21-2010, 11:59 PM
I've played the hell out of Civ:Rev and I've got Civ4 on my PC, tried to play it once and it confused the hell out of me. I'm sure it is great I just got frustrated trying to learn it and haven't played it since.

Silock
06-22-2010, 12:04 AM
Civ Rev is great for on-the-go, but I much prefer Civ IV.

The only thing I like about it over Civ IV is the economic victory. I hope they bring that to Civ V.

Saulbadguy
06-22-2010, 07:11 AM
I saw Baba Yetu sung at Video Games Live.

Crappy quality, but it was similar to this routine...it was awe inspiring (skip to 1:20 for Baba Yetu):

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ichj_91I3Ck&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ichj_91I3Ck&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Saulbadguy
06-22-2010, 07:13 AM
Can't really speak to that, as I have only played in on PC. But yes, it is much better on PC. It achieves near perfection as a computer game. Civ 5 is coming out in the next year or so. I'm actually worried that it can't possibly be as good as Civ 4.

I think they can improve combat. So often combat became tedious in Civ 4, when you are quite a bit more powerful, it can become a chore wiping a Civ off the map.

pikesome
06-22-2010, 08:38 AM
I think they can improve combat. So often combat became tedious in Civ 4, when you are quite a bit more powerful, it can become a chore wiping a Civ off the map.

Part of what always got me was what to do with captured cities. If you take control it counts against your civ's efficiency and the game lays down some harsh penalties once you get past a certain number. It's easy to cripple yourself with conquered cities. But the only other option is razing which has a lot of other bad side effects. Bad relations, free units for the conquered later in the game as well as wide open gaps that other civs can lay down cities in. Conquest victories are hard in the middle/late game.

Pants
06-22-2010, 08:45 AM
You guys should really try Empire: Total War. It's like an awesomer version of Civ IV.

Saulbadguy
06-22-2010, 08:56 AM
You guys should really try Empire: Total War. It's like an awesomer version of Civ IV.

I have it. While it is a good game, it's not a turn based strategy game like Civ. So, no comparison.

Buck
06-22-2010, 09:00 AM
I have it. While it is a good game, it's not a turn based strategy game like Civ. So, no comparison.

Is it more like Command and Conquer?

Pants
06-22-2010, 09:04 AM

Huh? It is turn based strategy except it actually lets you fight your battles so you don't see stupid shit like tanks being routed by cavalry. The economy and research are there, they're just limited to one era.

Pants
06-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Is it more like Command and Conquer?

Nothing like it.

Buck
06-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Nothing like it.

When you get home tonight can you post a vid of what you think best shows the gameplay?

Pants
06-22-2010, 09:15 AM
When you get home tonight can you post a vid of what you think best shows the gameplay?

Well, there are 2 distinct gameplay styles in the game. One is pretty much just like Civ while the other lets you actually control your armies in huge battles which are very detailed with awesome animations. It does require a pretty decent computer to run it properly, though.