PDA

View Full Version : Obama McCrystal in deep doodo. Calls the WH Wimps in RS interview.

memyselfI
06-22-2010, 06:10 AM
Apparently a Rolling Stone article about to come out features McCrystal laying into Obama and the WH pretty badly.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37839756/ns/politics-white_house/

The top U.S. war commander in Afghanistan apologized Tuesday for a magazine profile in which his aides are quoted mocking Vice President Joe Biden and Richard Holbrooke, the special U.S. representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan.

An article published this week in Rolling Stone magazine depicts Gen. Stanley McChrystal as a lone wolf on the outs with many important figures in the Obama administration and unable to convince even some of his own soldiers that his strategy can win the war.

In the article, McChrystal was also quoted as saying he felt betrayed by the man the White House chose to be his diplomatic partner, Ambassador Karl Eikenberry.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

On Tuesday, McChrystal issued a statement saying: "I extend my sincerest apology for this profile. It was a mistake reflecting poor judgment and should never have happened.

"Throughout my career, I have lived by the principles of personal honor and professional integrity. What is reflected in this article falls far short of that standard," he added.

Citing a senior Obama administration official, NBC News reported that McChrystal had been ordered to leave Afghanistan to attend a meeting at the White House's Situation Room where he would be asked to explain his comments.

Workaholic
McChrystal, a workaholic said to sleep just four hours a day, was brought into Afghanistan a year ago after his predecessor was pushed out.

In Rolling Stone, McChrystal is described by an aide as "disappointed" in his first Oval Office meeting with an unprepared President Barack Obama. The article says that although McChrystal voted for Obama, the two failed to connect from the start. Obama called McChrystal on the carpet last fall for speaking too bluntly about his desire for more troops.

"I found that time painful," McChrystal said in the article, on newsstands Friday. "I was selling an unsellable position."

Obama agreed to dispatch an additional 30,000 U.S. troops to Afghanistan only after months of study that many in the military found frustrating. And the White House's troop commitment was coupled with a pledge to begin bringing them home in July 2011, in what counterinsurgency strategists advising McChrystal regarded as an arbitrary deadline.

McChrystal said Tuesday, "I have enormous respect and admiration for President Obama and his national security team, and for the civilian leaders and troops fighting this war and I remain committed to ensuring its successful outcome."

The profile, titled "The Runaway General," emerged from several weeks of interviews and travel with McChrystal's tight circle of aides this spring.

'The real enemy'
The article portrays McChrystal's team as disapproving of the Obama administration, with the exception of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who backed McCrystal's request for additional troops in Afghanistan.

The article claims McChrystal has seized control of the war "by never taking his eye off the real enemy: The wimps in the White House."

It quotes a member of McChrystal's team making jokes about Biden, who was seen as critical of the general's efforts to escalate the conflict and who had favored a more limited counter-terrorism approach.

"Biden?" the aide was quoted as saying. "Did you say: Bite me?"

Biden initially opposed McChrystal's proposal for additional forces last year. He favored a narrower focus on hunting terrorists.

Click for related content
Investigators probe U.S. money flow to Taliban
U.N.: Afghan opiate use doubled in 5 years
British death toll in Afghanistan reaches 300
U.S. buys Russian choppers for Afghan military

If Eikenberry had the same doubts, McChrystal said he never expressed them until a leaked internal document threw a wild card into the debate over whether to add more troops last November. In the document, Eikenberry said Afghan President Hamid Karzai was not a reliable partner for the counterinsurgency strategy McChrystal was hired to execute.

McChrystal said he felt "betrayed" and accused the ambassador of giving himself cover.

"Here's one that covers his flank for the history books," McChrystal told the magazine. "Now, if we fail, they can say 'I told you so.'"

There was no immediate response from Eikenberry. The Associated Press requested comment through an aide after business hours on Monday in Kabul.

Public rift
Eikenberry remains in his post in Kabul, and although both men publicly say they are friends, their rift is on full display.

McChrystal and Eikenberry, himself a retired Army general, stood as far apart as the speakers' platform would allow during a White House news conference last month.

Another aide called White House National Security Adviser Jim Jones, a retired four star general, a "clown" who was "stuck in 1985."

The piece also quoted an adviser to McChrystal dismissing an early meeting with Obama as a "10-minute photo op."

"Obama clearly didn't know anything about him, who he was. The boss was pretty disappointed," the adviser told the magazine.

'Wounded animal'
Some of the strongest criticism was reserved for Holbrooke, Obama's special envoy to Afghanistan and Pakistan.

"The boss says he's like a wounded animal," a member of the general's team is quoted as saying. "Holbrooke keeps hearing rumors that he's going to get fired, so that makes him dangerous."

Rolling Stone interviewed troops frustrated by McChrystal's strict rules for combat that are intended to reduce the number of civilian casualties.

At one outpost, a soldier McChrystal had met earlier was killed in a house that the local U.S. commander had repeatedly asked to destroy. The request was denied, apparently out of concern that razing the house would anger locals whose allegiance the U.S. is trying to win.

"Does that make any (expletive) sense?" Pfc. Jared Pautsch asks. "We should just drop a (expletive) bomb on this place. You sit and ask yourself, 'What are we doing here?'"

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Donger
06-22-2010, 07:18 AM
Well, that was pretty stupid. Obama has to fire him.

WoodDraw
06-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Uh, whoops? How does a top general do something this stupid?

I guess he's been recalled to Washington for a chat. He almost has to be fired, no?

stevieray
06-22-2010, 08:29 AM
...if he does get fired, bet it doesn't take a couple of months...because oil spills, border security, and 'overseas contingency plans' pale in comparison.

blaise
06-22-2010, 08:38 AM
...if he does get fired, bet it doesn't take a couple of months...because oil spills, border security, and 'overseas contingency plans' pale in comparison.

You know, all those things are really getting in the way of Obama getting back on the cover of People magazine on a regular basis.

InChiefsHell
06-22-2010, 08:47 AM
The question is, is the dude right about his assessment of the Administration. I mean, no matter what he'll get fired (and probably should, you just don't say things like that in public about the CiC...) but we the people are left to get an answer to the question...does Obama know what the hell he's doing?

...I have my answer, but I'm curious what the Barry supporters think. Will they simply attack the messenger for speaking out of turn, or will they give any weight at all to what he said?

alpha_omega
06-22-2010, 09:06 AM
"Biden?" the aide was quoted as saying. "Did you say: Bite me?"

Absolutely hilarious!

patteeu
06-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Maybe he wants to be fired rather than be the trigger man for the wimp-in-chief's losing strategy of arbitrary withdrawal.

I'm not really sure we can be well-served by someone who was fooled into voting for our dear feckless leader in the first place though.

petegz28
06-22-2010, 09:16 AM
I cannot condone the open criticism. That just isn't the right tactic to take. He should have just resigned his position. But, that being said, I'd say his words, though communicated in the wrong way, do carry some weight.

mlyonsd
06-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Maybe he wants to be fired rather than be the trigger man for the wimp-in-chief's losing strategy of arbitrary withdrawal.

There won't be any withdrawl unless Obama can talk the MSM into finding him a way out where the thought Afghanistan is 'unwinnable' becomes mainstream instead of 'Obama lost the war'.

patteeu
06-22-2010, 09:36 AM
There won't be any withdrawl unless Obama can talk the MSM into finding him a way out where the thought Afghanistan is 'unwinnable' becomes mainstream instead of 'Obama lost the war'.

I think we're moving in that direction. By the time the 2011/12 election cycle heats up, I think Obama will try to make withdrawal from an "unwinnable quagmire" a virtue.

Chiefshrink
06-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Hey the military leaked info last summer to get the WH to move and Gates was on FoxNews Sunday this last W/E saying the Afghan mission was going much slower than expected and there is no expectation to pull out by Summer of '11' whereas from the mouth of Emmanuel and the cabinet that they will reduce troops starting next summer the same W/E.

This slower than expected mission to be accomplished statement by Gates is due to Obama without Gates saying it. Now that this RS is out, it all makes sense. Getting Obama to move more aggressively again. Let McChrystal say it without saying it 'directly'. Two different messages which means there is a major power struggle going on and the military is putting "O" on the spot to "MOVE AGAIN".

IMO this is all calculated and I really believe that McChrystal voted for "O" not because he truly believed in "O" but to stroke "O"'s ego enough to shield McChrystal to some degree in order to manipulate "O" to move and get away with "stunts" like this because they know they are dealing with a "man child".

They(military) know "O" is a 'radical lefty' who has a "primadonna Marxist ego". And with all "primadonnas" they all have extremely "thin skin" who are usually "EXTREMELY INCOMPETENT(ala 'EMPTY SUIT). Just watch the Bret Baer interview again. Obama is "emotionally stunted" and the military knows it and plays on it. Also Obama knows that the military knows that "O" looks down his nose at them as well.

Really think McChrystal would hap hazardly make comments like this? That he didn't know he was talking to RS?

Genius move by McChrystal to give this interview and to vote for "O":thumb:

McChrystal will not be fired.

Now to the "hypocrisy". If this were under Bush, you Marxist Lib Dems would be calling this guy a "true patriot":rolleyes:

Radar Chief
06-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Uh, whoops? How does a top general do something this stupid?

I guess he's been recalled to Washington for a chat. He almost has to be fired, no?

Generals arenít dumb. It is assumable that this was planned knowing it would more than likely end his military career.

chiefsnorth
06-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Generals arenít dumb. It is assumable that this was planned knowing it would more than likely end his military career.

Exactly. He's falling on his sword, hoping to change the Obama Administration's bored and disinterested attitude toward Afghanistan, while his soldiers are out there bleeding and dying for it.

Maybe you should try starting up that "listen to the generals" thing you promised, Obama?

Chiefshrink
06-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Now on the "flipside" of my commentary, Byron York who I really respect just wrote a piece that say's the opposite. That McChrystal is somewhat of a "loose cannon" based on some top tier military brass that said that they are surprised that McChrystal has kept his mouth shut for this long.

But then we all know there are "politics being played" everywhere in life at all times.

Remains to be seen and I still say this was all calculated.

memyselfI
06-22-2010, 09:59 AM
I think we're moving in that direction. By the time the 2011/12 election cycle heats up, I think Obama will try to make withdrawal from an "unwinnable quagmire" a virtue.

I think McCrystal has backed Lite into a corner. If he stays, inspite of the unwinable nature of the war, he risks being seen as trying to disprove the wimp factor.

If he leaves he reinforces the wimp factor.

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Chiefshrink
06-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Obama knows he needs McChrystal or does he? Remains to be seen. Stay tuned!!

Chiefshrink
06-22-2010, 10:02 AM
I think McCrystal has backed Lite into a corner. If he stays, inspite of the unwinable nature of the war, he risks being seen as trying to disprove the wimp factor.

If he leaves he reinforces the wimp factor.

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Which is why I say McChrystal will not be fired.:thumb: But "O" has to look tough and pull a BP on McChrystal to save face.

blaise
06-22-2010, 10:04 AM
In all fairness, he probably made the wimps comment before he heard that Obama was looking to kick people's asses in the Gulf of Mexico.

HerculesRockefell
06-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Rolling Stone interviewed troops frustrated by McChrystal's strict rules for combat that are intended to reduce the number of civilian casualties.

At one outpost, a soldier McChrystal had met earlier was killed in a house that the local U.S. commander had repeatedly asked to destroy. The request was denied, apparently out of concern that razing the house would anger locals whose allegiance the U.S. is trying to win.

"Does that make any (expletive) sense?" Pfc. Jared Pautsch asks. "We should just drop a (expletive) bomb on this place. You sit and ask yourself, 'What are we doing here?'"

Saw a different version of this article where they said the ROE in Afghanistan is basically that they can only patrol where they're pretty sure they won't have to use lethal force.

My brother was in Fallujah at the end of W's term and was in Afghanistan under Obama. He never once complained about their ROE in Iraq, but came home from Afghanistan and said that Marines were dying because their ROE were now so restrictive.

He told stories about watching people set IEDs outside their bases, be 100% sure they were planting IEDs, and yet they could do nothing about it.

McChrystal's comments will be the news obviously, but the fact that US (and I'm sure NATO) forces are so hamstrung by their ROEs that people are unnecessarily dying, is a travesty.

Edit: Haha, Byron York was thinking the same thing I was.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/mcchrystals-real-offense-96873364.html

Looks like those are McChrystal's ROE. Fuck the guy.

BucEyedPea
06-22-2010, 10:12 AM
The American people are tired of both wars. I doubt they'd see any pull out as wimpiness. But rather, a wise move. This is just establishment hack's reporting because they think it's important.

Taco John
06-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Kind of makes you wish GWB went into war with a strategy to actually win it.

Direckshun
06-22-2010, 11:32 AM
It's hard to say this costs McCrystal his job.

You don't fire competent people who manage WARS because they were caught saying silly things in Rolling Stone.

Obama keeping McCrystal on wouldn't surprise me, if he believes McCrystal has been competently execuing his orders.

The fact that McCrystal's own subordinates aren't thrilled with the job McCrystal's doing isn't encouraging, though.

Direckshun
06-22-2010, 11:38 AM
I mean, it's not like this guy is General Birther, the general who refused to follow through with orders because he suspected Obama was Kenyan. You have to fire that guy.

McCrystal is (a.) higher up the foodchain than General Birther, performing a job that much fewer people are capable of doing, and (b.) by some appearances (but not all appearances), he's doing a competent job of enforcing Obama's orders in Afghanistan even when he disagrees.

Again, the question here is how effective a job the Obama administration sees McCrystal as doing.

Direckshun
06-22-2010, 11:42 AM

Hillary Clinton mocked Obama openly and frequently during the primaries over foreign policy.

They were both pretty similar on domestic issues, but varied wildly on foreign policy.

Yet look who ended up being his SecState.

Bootlegged
06-22-2010, 11:49 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H9m3GyDh6M8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H9m3GyDh6M8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Taco John
06-22-2010, 12:15 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H9m3GyDh6M8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H9m3GyDh6M8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I see that his poor follow-through extends to his golf game too.

Direckshun
06-22-2010, 12:34 PM
I see that his poor follow-through extends to his golf game too.

:clap:

chiefsnorth
06-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Hillary Clinton mocked Obama openly and frequently during the primaries over foreign policy.

They were both pretty similar on domestic issues, but varied wildly on foreign policy.

Yet look who ended up being his SecState.

You should put an American flag up as your profile photo! Maybe that will help convince the regime to consider doing something beside sit on their hands!

FAX
06-22-2010, 01:01 PM
I believe in a military that is dedicated to and highly skilled at killing things and blowing up stuff. Not one that "manages" a "transition". War should be a last resort, but when war is unfortunately necessary I want a military that's more concerned with destruction than perception.

You have to wonder what guys like MacArthur or Bradley or Pershing or Ike would think of our modern military and our obsession with public relations. Somewhere along the line (Vietnam?), things changed. A military is something designed to intimidate and instill fear ... not something designed to seek sympathetic understanding and mutual goodwill. More and more, we have the wrong institution doing the wrong job.

FAX

Iowanian
06-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it sure sounds to me like it was not McCrystal himself, but some of his aides who made the more controversial comments.

As much hoopla as Obama admin made when he was brought on board, you'd think they would at least know a little bit about him, and support his opinions.

Chiefspants
06-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Kind of makes you wish GWB went into war with a strategy to actually win it.

You ignoramus, Both Iraq and Afghanistan were going to throw roses on our arriving tanks.

What more do you need to plan?

blaise
06-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it sure sounds to me like it was not McCrystal himself, but some of his aides who made the more controversial comments.

As much hoopla as Obama admin made when he was brought on board, you'd think they would at least know a little bit about him, and support his opinions.

I thought the same thing, but the "wimp" comment is attributed to him, and other comments made by aides are things the aides say he said. He doesn't really distance himself from any of it. He apologizes. You'd think, if it was untrue, he might have said, "I didn't say that."
I don't think any of it was that inflammatory. I guess if I was Obama, my biggest concern would be that you might have a guy in charge who's letting it be known he has problems with Obama's leadership, and that there's conflict about the direction of the military. If you're Obama, or any President, I think you want to make sure you and the military leaders show a united front.

Pioli Zombie
06-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Fucking fire that piece of shit General at the airport.

BucEyedPea
06-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Why doesn't he just resign if he has disagreements with Obama's leadership?

ClevelandBronco
06-22-2010, 01:52 PM

Well, it's a bit difficult for an Army general to just look for another government to work for.

JohnnyV13
06-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Even MacArthur didn't get fired immediately. Truman famously met with him on Guam and IIFRC, gave him another chance.

Only after MacArthur kept threatening to use nukes without presidential approval did Truman can him.

ClevelandBronco
06-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Even MacArthur didn't get fired immediately. Truman famously met with him on Guam and IIFRC...

Does IIFRC mean what I think it does?

Iowanian
06-22-2010, 02:49 PM
At least he didn't call him a Pussy like everyone with 2 nuts is thinking.

HonestChieffan
06-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Don't you just hate people who speak frankly and honestly?

RaiderH8r
06-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Dude makes me laugh. I think I like the guy.

"The dinner comes with the position, sir," says his chief of staff, Col. Charlie Flynn.

McChrystal turns sharply in his chair.

"Hey, Charlie," he asks, "does this come with the position?"

McChrystal gives him the middle finger.

RaiderH8r
06-22-2010, 03:15 PM
At least he didn't call him a Pussy like everyone with 2 nuts is thinking.

At this point it's understood that Barry is a pussy wimp.

patteeu
06-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Does IIFRC mean what I think it does?

IDFK

Direckshun
06-22-2010, 04:00 PM
WTFF

Chiefshrink
06-22-2010, 04:16 PM

There are Wartime Generals and CEO Generals. McChrystal is definitely a wartime general who calls it like it is. Also it is very difficult for a Wartime General to just "cutbait" when you have come this far. He is trying to MOVE Obama to be more aggressive i.e. ROE and more troops.

CEO Generals keep their mouth shut and worry about climbing their career ladder and image is everything.

Also if the WH fires Stanley then Stanley is free to say a helluva alot more and don't think that doesn't heavily influence Obama's decision whether to fire or not.

HonestChieffan
06-22-2010, 04:21 PM
He is a leader having to work for a community organizer who never has had any regard for the armed forces. To Obama its all about the game and his ego. To a 4 start General that is unacceptable. Its hard to work for a piss ant.

Donger
06-22-2010, 04:24 PM
He resigned?

VAChief
06-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Don't you just hate people who speak frankly and honestly?

I wonder what the good General would recommend for say a Lt. Col. openly criticizing his decisions? I don't care if he has the opinions, but his job demands that military discipline is maintained and respect for the chain of authority is critical. If he wants to set policy he can run for office, until then do your job and keep your mouth shut. He can grant interviews and write books when he know longer wears the uniform.

VAChief
06-22-2010, 05:19 PM
He is a leader having to work for a community organizer who never has had any regard for the armed forces. To Obama its all about the game and his ego. To a 4 start General that is unacceptable. Its hard to work for a piss ant.

They have worked for draft dodgers and chicken hawks in the past without dishonoring the chain of command, why should this be different? I thought Bush and Cheney were wrong, but if a General pulled this crap on them I would be all for showing them the door!

stevieray
06-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Didn't another General disagree with Bush over the Iraq War? That guy was hero to the Dems IIRC.

HonestChieffan
06-22-2010, 05:46 PM
If Obama has the balls to fire him, McCrystal hopefully will broadside the big O by showing what a clown Obama is. Respect for the Office of the president can only be real if the President is deserving of respect and has shown some understanding of earning it.

My bet is Obama backs down.

|Zach|
06-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Didn't another General disagree with Bush over the Iraq War? That guy was hero to the Dems IIRC.

Generals and Presidents disagree all the time. But this issue isn't about that.

|Zach|
06-22-2010, 06:00 PM

You misspelled President of the United States of America.

HonestChieffan
06-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Brit newspaper is reporting he tendered his resignation.

ClevelandBronco
06-22-2010, 06:11 PM
He resigned?

I hope you guys are talking about Obama.

HonestChieffan
06-22-2010, 06:16 PM
You misspelled President of the United States of America.

Piss ant is acceptable as two words or as one, i.e. pissant. However with respect to Obama the piss ant (pissant) I may have been better off to capitalize it since he is the President Piss Ant.

Thanks for the valuable feedback

DJ's left nut
06-22-2010, 07:01 PM

Exactly. He's falling on his sword, hoping to change the Obama Administration's bored and disinterested attitude toward Afghanistan, while his soldiers are out there bleeding and dying for it.

Maybe you should try starting up that "listen to the generals" thing you promised, Obama?

Exactly.

You can't defend his conduct here, it's absolutely unacceptable for a General to call out the CIC like this.

At the same time, I'm certain that he believes this was the best way to save his troops' lives. I'll commend him for that. McCrystal has never been known as a MacArthur/Patton style media whore. He's been something of a soldier's general for his entire career .

He knew this would probably cost him his job. He'll show up to the meeting tomorrow and he'll tender his resignation. I don't think Obama will accept it, but I am almost certain that he'll be re-assigned.

DJ's left nut
06-22-2010, 07:06 PM

Standard protocal.

When a high-ranking officer is called to the carpet, he brings his letter of resignation with him.

It's up to his superior whether or not to accept it.

Truman and MacArthur is virtually unprecedented in modern military history. Then again, an ego like MacArthur's is virtually unprecedented as well.

We'll see what tomorrow brings, but I don't think Obama will accept the resignation.

ClevelandBronco
06-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Word is that Hillary is the only one mentioned who could benefit from the story. I'm leaning toward thinking that McCrystal intended to damage Obama, though apparently he voted for the incompetent bastard.

Anyone else think that McCrystal and his staff chose Rolling Stone for the interview specifically because they knew RS would print a lot of the comments and language that Time or Newsweek would leave out?

HonestChieffan
06-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Word is that Hillary is the only one mentioned who could benefit from the story. I'm leaning toward thinking that McCrystal intended to damage Obama, though apparently he voted for the incompetent bastard.

Anyone else think that McCrystal and his staff chose Rolling Stone for the interview specifically because they knew RS would print a lot of the comments and language that Time or Newsweek would leave out?

No one reads Time or Newsweek.

ClevelandBronco
06-22-2010, 07:23 PM
No one reads Time or Newsweek.

Yeah, there's that.

WoodDraw
06-22-2010, 10:57 PM

Uh, no. Maybe some Republican nutjobs. Everyone else thinks McCrystal is hating his life right now. He's about to get fired from a job he was hand picked to take over. He basically just killed his military career to let out some lame jokes in RS.

If he was wanting to make a big point about incompetence in the Obama administration, perhaps he should have made his quotes sounds like they didn't come from a frat house meeting?

There's only one loser here and that's McCrystal.

Mr. Kotter
06-22-2010, 11:29 PM
McCrystal is right; Obama, on this, is wrong. Unfortunately, his minions won't give him his "out." :rolleyes:

Instead, Obama will be left to EXPLAIN why his stupid "deadlines" and goals next year will not be met. :shake:

Uh, no. Maybe some Republican nutjobs. Everyone else thinks McCrystal is hating his life right now. He's about to get fired from a job he was hand picked to take over. He basically just killed his military career to let out some lame jokes in RS.

If he was wanting to make a big point about incompetence in the Obama administration, perhaps he should have made his quotes sounds like they didn't come from a frat house meeting?

Obama better HOPE like hell this is his Truman/MacArthur moment; even then, he better wait of "perspective." Otherwise, he's on schedule to become "Jimmy Carter, II."

ClevelandBronco
06-22-2010, 11:33 PM

Or he just damaged Obama, set up Hillary and he's looking for a job. Vice president perhaps?

patteeu
06-23-2010, 08:20 AM

I don't agree with that at all. Obama loses too by taking another in a long line of hits on his competence.

petegz28
06-23-2010, 08:22 AM

Perhaps he doesn't feel his career success is worth executing stupid strategies that will get our troops dead with him at the helm?

petegz28
06-23-2010, 08:24 AM
And lets face the reality. Obama has shown he has no fear of pointing the finger at everyone else to try an place blame for his own failures. McCrystal I am sure realizes that once Obama's ignorant policies don't pan out the way Obama claims they would, McCrystal would be the scapegoat.

mlyonsd
06-23-2010, 08:26 AM
I don't agree with that at all. Obama loses too by taking another in a long line of hits on his competence.

Absolutely. It's not like McCrystal was a Bush retread. He was hand picked by Obama himself. He even voted for the guy.

HonestChieffan
06-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Obama and his morons announcing "firm" dates we will leave is absolute insanity and a commander cannot have the CIC behave 100% political with lives on the line.

RaiderH8r
06-23-2010, 08:31 AM
The left fell in love with Gen Shinseki when he publicly decried the Bush administration's need to commit more troops and when Shinseki was let go there was a furious uproar from the left about listening to the guys in the field etc. Shinseki was so endeared to the left that Obama made Shinseki head of the VA. This is a story that needs to be revisited in light of these developments with McChrystal.