PDA

View Full Version : Video Games XBOX help please

Guru
06-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Our USB slots were dead so we brought over friends 360 to put our HDD on so we could transfer the saves over to a thumdrive. I used my power cord on his machine with no problems but when I plugged it back into my machine it would not power up. The power brick is orange so I know there is nothing wrong with it.

What the hell is going on?

Buck
06-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Our USB slots were dead so we brought over friends 360 to put our HDD on so we could transfer the saves over to a thumdrive. I used my power cord on his machine with no problems but when I plugged it back into my machine it would not power up. The power brick is orange so I know there is nothing wrong with it.

Is it plugged into a surge protector? Try unplugging that then plugging it back in (after turning it off).

Guru
06-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Is it plugged into a surge protector? Try unplugging that then plugging it back in (after turning it off).

Already tried that. No luck.

It's like plugging my power cord into his unit made it incompatible with mine or something.

Buck
06-22-2010, 06:32 PM
I dont think the machine is that smart.

The answer to this question is that you have an Xbox 360.

Buck
06-22-2010, 06:34 PM
You may have fudged something up when you pulled out your power cord, like maybe it was connected too well and pulled something loose.

Guru
06-22-2010, 06:37 PM
You may have fudged something up when you pulled out your power cord, like maybe it was connected too well and pulled something loose.

I would think that would have rendered it useless on both machines though. The other machine powers up just fine with my cord.

Guru
06-22-2010, 06:37 PM
I dont think the machine is that smart.

The answer to this question is that you have an Xbox 360.

well duh.ROFL

Buck
06-22-2010, 06:45 PM
I would think that would have rendered it useless on both machines though. The other machine powers up just fine with my cord.

Pulled something loose in YOUR XBOX durr

Guru
06-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Pulled something loose in YOUR XBOX durr

Well, whatever it might have been it is not obvious. the plug in looks identical on his and mine. Nothing is missing at all.

Buck
06-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Well, whatever it might have been it is not obvious. the plug in looks identical on his and mine. Nothing is missing at all.

Damnit Guru.

Something inside your xbox

Guru
06-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Damnit Guru.

Something inside your xbox

See, I don't buy that. I am very careful when pulling cables off of anything. I pulled them slowly to avoid shit like that.

Guru
06-22-2010, 07:07 PM
I guess I could try and pass it off as RRoD and see if MS will fix it. I still have 2 months left on my 3yr warranty there. ugh. This sucks.

Pants
06-23-2010, 11:56 AM
i <3 my xbox... have had it for 2 years and never had any issues...

Saulbadguy
06-23-2010, 12:04 PM
i <3 my xbox... have had it for 2 years and never had any issues...

I'm at 1 year, light play, no issues. I'm not sure of the model though, too lazy to look.

TrickyNicky
06-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Are you trying to turn it on with the controller or the main button on the console?

Sofa King
06-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Are you trying to turn it on with the controller or the main button on the console?

wouldn't that be funny... a dead controller is the suspect... haha

Guru
06-23-2010, 03:09 PM

Lets see, I checked to make sure it was plugged in, check
pressed the power button on the unit, check
pressed the eject button on the unit, check
pressed the power button on the controller, check

Then tried them all again after a couple hours.

Yeah, I think I have it covered.

Also, the power brick light is always orange so I know it isn't the problem. The problem is within the xbox itself.

bowener
06-23-2010, 03:39 PM
The first model of 360's and the 2nd model have very similar plugs for the brick, but they are different. The 2nd is missing a center pin or something like that... maybe they would fit and maybe something got bent :shrug:

There are places online you can look up the differences.

TrickyNicky
06-23-2010, 03:40 PM
I wasn't trying to be a smartass, honest. :D

My 360 does something similar. If the power cable comes out, it wont respond to anything until you unplug from the wall and the orange light goes out. Once you plug it all back in, the controller won't start it up as usual, only the face button on the console.

Guru
06-23-2010, 05:26 PM
I wasn't trying to be a smartass, honest. :D

My 360 does something similar. If the power cable comes out, it wont respond to anything until you unplug from the wall and the orange light goes out. Once you plug it all back in, the controller won't start it up as usual, only the face button on the console.

yeah, I unplugged the brick as well but still no power to the unit. Gotta love my bad luck.