PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports 64 Games and Counting in 5th Set

Stinger
06-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Holy crap..... 5th set at Wimbledon between Nicolas Mahut and John Isner lasting almost 7 hours. Currently on the 65th game of the set.... 65 games in a single set.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Buck
06-23-2010, 11:08 AM
They took it off the tv.

Pants
06-23-2010, 11:10 AM
That's gotta be a record... Jesus...

Buck
06-23-2010, 11:11 AM
That's gotta be a record... Jesus...

Yep, its coming back on ESPN.

Hey you already know what happened in the WC today? If not I wouldn't be on here.

Pants
06-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Yep, its coming back on ESPN.

Hey you already know what happened in the WC today? If not I wouldn't be on here.

No, I stay the fuck away from the WC thread. Watching the games once I get home.

Cave Johnson
06-23-2010, 11:12 AM
One of those dudes will be eliminated in the next round, fo sho.

Cave Johnson
06-23-2010, 11:12 AM
No, I stay the **** away from the WC thread. Watching the games once I get home.

Good luck with that. Be sure to stay off FB.

Buck
06-23-2010, 11:14 AM
No, I stay the fuck away from the WC thread. Watching the games once I get home.

Yeah dude, all it takes is for someone to create a thread with the name having the results. I would go into radio silence if I was you.

Pants
06-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the good looking out, fellas, but work is hella boring without CP. I might just stick to Media Center or something... /sigh

memyselfI
06-23-2010, 11:32 AM
I really feel bad for whoever does not prevail here. Can you imagine?

Stinger
06-23-2010, 12:25 PM
OK the 91st game of the set 45 games a piece...

Sofa King
06-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Wow. that's incredible....

PISS BREAK!!

DBOSHO
06-23-2010, 12:30 PM
History in the making. Noone will ever beat this record

longest match in history
longest set in history
most games in history
most games in a set
most aces by a player
most aces combined

91 games in a set is FUCKING CRAZY. theyve player a total of 12+ sets

Buck
06-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Its going to be at 100 games soon.

Unfuckingreal.

They need to suspend this shit til tomorrow. Nobody is going to break serve.

Mr. Laz
06-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Mahut 4 6 7 6 46
IIsner 6 3 6 7 47

total points - 746

Buck
06-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Mahut 4 6 7 6 47
IIsner 6 3 6 7 47

CupidStunt
06-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Winner will lose in straight sets against whoever he faces. This is sorta ridiculous. But then they'll always be known for something now, which they wouldn't be otherwise.

Stinger
06-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Mahut 4 6 7 6 47
IIsner 6 3 6 7 48

Mr. Laz
06-23-2010, 12:44 PM
match time so far: 8 hrs 34 minutes

-King-
06-23-2010, 12:49 PM
8 hrs 38 min. Some guy was on camera putting on his polo, thought he was going to leave his collar popped.
Posted via Mobile Device

Stinger
06-23-2010, 12:57 PM
And thus concludes the 100th game of the set........... 50 games a piece!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Laz
06-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Mahut 4 6 7 6 52
Iisner 6 3 6 7 52

Stinger
06-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Mahut 4 6 7 6 55
Iisner 6 3 6 7 56

Pestilence
06-23-2010, 01:41 PM
At what point do you just call this shit a draw?

SPchief
06-23-2010, 01:41 PM
This set is longer than any other MATCH in history

memyselfI
06-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Just got back from lunch celebrating the US WC win. The poor souls are still at it.

You will never convince me that tennis and soccer players are not among the most conditioned and hard assed athletes in the world.

Donger
06-23-2010, 01:47 PM
The poor souls are still at it.

Gee, thanks for telling me who won the World Cup match, you f*cking asshole.

Pants
06-23-2010, 01:49 PM

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Go talk about that shit in the DEDICATED thread, some of us actually have to go to work.

Donger
06-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Mememe, would you at least have the decency to delete that post?

Bugeater
06-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Yes, she's an asshole and shouldn't be allowed out of DC, but you guys are fucking crazy if you think you can be anywhere on the internet and avoid that information.

Pants
06-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Yes, she's an asshole and shouldn't be allowed out of DC, but you guys are ****ing crazy if you think you can be anywhere on the internet and avoid that information.

CP hasn't failed me yet (until today, that is). It's the one place I saw as safe to go to. I can't go anywhere else really without it being all over the pages.

Donger
06-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Yes, she's an asshole and shouldn't be allowed out of DC, but you guys are ****ing crazy if you think you can be anywhere on the internet and avoid that information.

I have specifically avoided all radio, TVs and any other Internet website today so that I could enjoy the game later. I've also been avoiding the WC thread here as well.

Call me crazy, but I didn't think that some c*nt would post the result of the game in a f*cking tennis thread.

Pestilence
06-23-2010, 02:01 PM
You will never convince me that tennis and soccer players are not among the most conditioned and hard assed athletes in the world.

What a fucking dick move.

ClevelandBronco
06-23-2010, 02:03 PM
...Hey you already know what happened in the WC today? If not I wouldn't be on here.

No, I stay the **** away from the WC thread. Watching the games once I get home.

Good luck with that. Be sure to stay off FB.

Yeah dude, all it takes is for someone to create a thread with the name having the results. I would go into radio silence if I was you.

Thanks for the good looking out, fellas, but work is hella boring without CP. I might just stick to Media Center or something... /sigh

...you f*cking asshole.

*sigh*

SPchief
06-23-2010, 02:07 PM
6 hours between match point one and match point 4

Bugeater
06-23-2010, 02:08 PM
I have specifically avoided all radio, TVs and any other Internet website today so that I could enjoy the game later. I've also been avoiding the WC thread here as well.

Call me crazy, but I didn't think that some c*nt would post the result of the game in a f*cking tennis thread.
I'll give you this much, it is pretty fucked up that she did it when there were people who had already mentioned in the thread that they were avoiding that information. I'm not trying to defend the c*nt by any means, it very likely was intentional.

So what ended up happening with these guys anyway, are they still playing, or did they drop dead?

memyselfI
06-23-2010, 02:08 PM

Oh waaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Are you living in a bubble or something. It's everywhere. I haven't read the entire thread. Get over it.

Buck
06-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Ahh, I warned you. I doubt she did it on purpose.

memyselfI
Good. Let those poor guys go home and rest up for whatever tomorrow entails.

Mahut is definitely redeeming the country of France. He's showing an entire team what determination and fight look like.

Donger
Oh waaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Are you living in a bubble or something. It's everywhere.

Oh, I'm sure it is. But, I was specifically avoiding it. You chose to put that in this thread, you c*nt.

Crawl back to DC and be sure to wipe up the ooze trail.

Donger
06-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Ahh, I warned you. I doubt she did it on purpose.

I guarantee you she did it on purpose.

DBOSHO
06-23-2010, 02:16 PM
And they suspend play due to darkness.

Honestly i think if darkness and curfew wasnt an issue, they mightve gone to 100 all. It was just an acefest. Sadly, both will have more energy and isner has more power off the ground and i think it could be over quickly if isner can move tomorrow.

This is case where you hate to see a loser

Cave Johnson

Normally I'd give someone the benefit of the doubt, but in this case, not so much.

memyselfI

No, I didn't. I had no idea that there were people on this thread living in a bubble who would whine like little girls because their surprise was ruined. It was a record victory. We are excited...

so sue us. My husband and I drank margaritas for lunch to celebrate. Trust me, I was not thinking about you.

Hydrae
06-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Good. Let those poor guys go home and rest up for whatever tomorrow entails.

Mahut is definitely redeeming the country of France. He's showing an entire team what determination and fight look like.

So they suspended the match for the night? What is the current numbers?

As to the other flap, you could at least go ahead and edit that post. Most of us around here try to be decent to one another, no need to confirm your stereotype here.

**edit: I see the match has been suspended.**

-King-
06-23-2010, 02:19 PM
The thread is 2-3 pages long depending on your settings. It doesn't take much to read through it. If it was a 10 pager, then I would give her the BOD but...
Posted via Mobile Device

Donger
06-23-2010, 02:20 PM
No, I didn't. I had no idea that there were people o this thread living in a bubble who would wine like little girls because their surprise was ruined. It was a record victory. We are excited...

so sue us.

Specifically avoiding the likely sources is living in a bubble. It's called taking a precaution in order to not have something I was looking forward to watching not be a surprise. Didn't I really think that some asshole would post the result of the WC match in a f*cking thread about tennis? No, I didn't.

You are a despicable POS, mememe. You always have been and I doubt that will ever change.

memyselfI
06-23-2010, 02:21 PM

As to the other flap, you could at least go ahead and edit that post. Most of us around here try to be decent to one another, no need to confirm your stereotype here.

**edit: I see the match has been suspended.**

Won't the subsequent whining defeat the purpose of an edit? I'll do it but the outcry probably drew more attention than the actual post.

I'm ignored by many people. :D:D:D:D

memyselfI
06-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Specifically avoiding the likely sources is living in a bubble. It's called taking a precaution in order to not have something I was looking forward to watching not be a surprise. Didn't I really think that some asshole would post the result of the WC match in a f*cking thread about tennis? No, I didn't.

You are a despicable POS, mememe. You always have been and I doubt that will ever change.

It's been a great day for sports in the USA at the WC and Wimbledon. I won't let you ruin it. Cheers!!!!

Buck
06-23-2010, 02:23 PM
You know what Donger, blame yourself dude. If you don't want to know about something, you avoid the internet. Common fucking sense. I don't have much interaction with you or her, so I am not backing anyone up just because of who they are.

Use common sense and don't get all butthurt.

You too Metro.

Stinger
06-23-2010, 02:23 PM

Mahut 4 6 7 6 59
Iisner 6 3 6 7 59

Donger
06-23-2010, 02:25 PM
It's been a great day for sports in the USA at the WC and Wimbledon. I won't let you ruin it. Cheers!!!!

Yeah, hopefully there will be a tasty disaster today, too, with lots of casualties. That'd just make your day even better.

memyselfI
06-23-2010, 02:25 PM
I hope for the players sake this doesn't go another 5 or 6 hours tomorrow. That would be unfortunate.

Donger
06-23-2010, 02:27 PM
You know what Donger, blame yourself dude. If you don't want to know about something, you avoid the internet. Common ****ing sense. I don't have much interaction with you or her, so I am not backing anyone up just because of who they are.

Use common sense and don't get all butthurt.

You too Metro.

I have avoiding the rest of the Internet today, in addition to TV and radio. And, you may note that there isn't any other mention of the WC in the Lounge, other than the thread dedicated to it.

Buck
06-23-2010, 02:30 PM
I have avoiding the rest of the Internet today, in addition to TV and radio. And, you may note that there isn't any other mention of the WC in the Lounge, other than the thread dedicated to it.

Yeah, well none of the other threads involved a tennis match that came on TV directly after the US World Cup match.

Listen, if you wanted to avoid it you should have avoided the internet and CP. If there are people on here who you think would spoil it, thats even more reason to avoid it.

I know that your job is probably boring, but you can't go one day without the internet?

Donger
06-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Yeah, well none of the other threads involved a tennis match that came on TV directly after the US World Cup match.

Listen, if you wanted to avoid it you should have avoided the internet and CP. If there are people on here who you think would spoil it, thats even more reason to avoid it.

I know that your job is probably boring, but you can't go one day without the internet?

The onus isn't on me, friend. I suppose that you blame girls who get raped when they wear slutty clothing?

As she wrote, she was excited and posted it. She doesn't give a f*ck that she ruined the surprise that some of us who didn't know the result were looking forward to.

I simple "sorry" would have sufficed and a deletion of the post. And that would have been it. But, we're talking about mememe here. She gets off on this stuff.

Buck
06-23-2010, 02:35 PM
The onus isn't on me, friend. I suppose that you blame girls who get raped when they wear slutty clothing?

As she wrote, she was excited and posted it. She doesn't give a f*ck that she ruined the surprise that some of us who didn't know the result were looking forward to.

I simple "sorry" would have sufficed and a deletion of the post. And that would have been it. But, we're talking about mememe here. She gets off on this stuff.

Whatever, your theory is fucking stupid.

Blaming somebody for posting about current events in a thread that was relevant. Not buying it.

memyselfI
06-23-2010, 02:37 PM

Honey, I MAY have been sorry for a brief second but seeing that "c" word and name calling sorta fixed that. No apologies here. I'll be more than happy to act out in ways you are projecting onto me. So your surprise and day is ruined....

tough shit.

Donger
06-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Whatever, your theory is ****ing stupid.

Blaming somebody for posting about current events in a thread that was relevant. Not buying it.

No, it really isn't.

How exactly is a thread about a tennis match relevant to a WC match?

Buck
06-23-2010, 02:40 PM
No, it really isn't.

How exactly is a thread about a tennis match relevant to a WC match?

I already told you. ESPN switched to the Tennis match immediately following the US soccer game. Surely at least one person if not more were still watching.

Either way, you keep saying "the onus is not on you," yet you are the one who trusted every single CP member to not post anything.

Did you read the third post in this thread? The one where I mentioned avoiding CP for today? Or did you just go straight to her post because you dislike her and wanted to talk shit about her post regardless of what it was?

Donger
06-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Honey, I MAY have been sorry for a brief second but seeing that "c" word sorta fixed that. No apologies here. I'll be more than happy to act out in ways you are projecting onto me. So your surprise and days is ruined....

tough shit.

Sweetie, you absolutely define that word. And, no, you wouldn't have been sorry at all. You can't seem to have a little pleasure for yourself without extracting a little pain in others.

Nice to see you're consistent, however.

Pants
06-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Whatever, your theory is ****ing stupid.

Bucky, use your common sense, bro. There was no reason to post what she did in this thread. It is not relevant to the World Cup in any shape, way or form. I've been browsing CP throughout the whole thing and no game was ever spoiled. There's one thread SPECIFICALLY dedicated to talking about the World Cup which people such as Donger and I avoid like the plague. I don't go ANYWHERE else on the internet, all my friends know that texting me about anything relating to the WC will result a painful death. meme is a ****ing c*unt and she's known around here for it. You didn't post anything about the WC here because you have common sense and you're not a dick. Only one person did that.

Donger
06-23-2010, 02:44 PM
I already told you. ESPN switched to the Tennis match immediately following the US soccer game. Surely at least one person if not more were still watching.

Either way, you keep saying "the onus is not on you," yet you are the one who trusted every single CP member to not post anything.

Did you read the third post in this thread? The one where I mentioned avoiding CP for today? Or did you just go straight to her post because you dislike her and wanted to talk shit about her post regardless of what it was?

I wasn't watching ESPN, so I wouldn't have known that.

Yes, I knew it was a risk to come here, but I thought it was a relatively safe choice. I was most definitely wrong on that. But, think about it: mememe chose to post that. She didn't have to, especially not in a thread about tennis. So, she either didn't consider that not everyone knew the results or she did consider it, and chose to post it anyway. Which do you think is worse?

Buck
06-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Bucky, use your common sense, bro. There was no reason to post what she did in this thread. It is not relevant to the World Cup in any shape, way or form. I've been browsing CP throughout the whole thing and no game was ever spoiled. There's one thread SPECIFICALLY dedicated to talking about the World Cup and people like Donger and I avoid like the plague. I don't go ANYWHERE else on the internet, all my friends know that texting me about anything relating to the WC will result a painful death. meme is a fucking c*unt and she's known around here for it. You didn't post anything about the WC here because you have common sense and you're not a dick. Only person did that.

Man you gotta use that common sense. How often do you see cross thread talk? A lot.

Also, you had to realize that if the US won, it would be fucking huge and someone would be bound to talk about it elsewhere.

I don't see why you couldn't stay off CP for one day, but if you want to blame her, go ahead, I just don't agree with you.

Buck
06-23-2010, 02:45 PM
I wasn't watching ESPN, so I wouldn't have known that.

Yes, I knew it was a risk to come here, but I thought it was a relatively safe choice. I was most definitely wrong on that. But, think about it: mememe chose to post that. She didn't have to, especially not in a thread about tennis. So, she either didn't consider that not everyone knew the results or she did consider it, and chose to post it anyway. Which do you think is worse?

She chose to post it
You chose to come here

You took the bigger risk and suffered for it.

My point, and what I've been saying all along, If you don't want something spoiled, its on you to not let anything spoil it for you.

I'm out.

Donger
06-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Man you gotta use that common sense. How often do you see cross thread talk? A lot.

Also, you had to realize that if the US won, it would be ****ing huge and someone would be bound to talk about it elsewhere.

I don't see why you couldn't stay off CP for one day, but if you want to blame her, go ahead, I just don't agree with you.

There's the "blame the girl for getting raped" scenario, again.

Pants
06-23-2010, 02:48 PM
There's the "blame the girl for getting raped" scenario, again.

She should've used common sense and not have dressed like a slut. Duh.

Buck
06-23-2010, 02:51 PM
God damnit Donger.

Seriously YOU are the one comparing this to Rape, not me.

Different circumstances call for different action.

You are basically saying you got raped, and that checking CP is like wearing a short skirt. That makes no fucking sense. Really, get over yourself dude.

You are really starting to annoy me.

memyselfI
06-23-2010, 02:52 PM
God damnit Donger.

You are basically saying you got raped, and that checking CP is like wearing a short skirt. That makes no ****ing sense. Really, get over yourself dude.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Pants
06-23-2010, 02:53 PM
God damnit Donger.

You are basically saying you got raped, and that checking CP is like wearing a short skirt. That makes no ****ing sense. Really, get over yourself dude.

No, because you're blaming the victim. The analogy is spot on. The surprise was already ruined for me by someone else, but at least that thread had "soccer" in the title.

Bugeater
06-23-2010, 02:53 PM
God damnit Donger.

That's what Donger does. You're acting like you're new here.

memyselfI
06-23-2010, 02:54 PM
No, because you're blaming the victim. The analogy is spot on. The surprise was already ruined for me by someone else, but at least that thread had "soccer" in the title.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Donger
06-23-2010, 02:55 PM
God damnit Donger.

No, I'm saying that something happened to me and others here that I didn't want and didn't like.

I'm not sure why you are becoming annoyed.

Buck
06-23-2010, 02:55 PM

VICTIM? Did you say VICTIM? Really?

He got spoiled about the score of a game and you are calling him a VICTIM?

I am arguing about using Common sense, and you too are arguing about slutty dressed girls getting raped.

You know what I did the day that the Lost finale aired? I didn't go on the internet, watch TV, listen to the radio, anything until after the show aired. Because I didn't want to get spoiled. Its called COMMON FUCKING SENSE. Dont know how many times I have to say that.

Donger
06-23-2010, 02:56 PM
ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Oh gee, what a shock. Mememe taking pleasure in someone else's pain.

Donger
06-23-2010, 02:57 PM
VICTIM? Did you say VICTIM? Really?

He got spoiled about the score of a game and you are calling him a VICTIM?

I am arguing about using Common sense, and you too are arguing about slutty dressed girls getting raped.

You know what I did the day that the Lost finale aired? I didn't go on the internet, watch TV, listen to the radio, anything until after the show aired. Because I didn't want to get spoiled. Its called COMMON ****ING SENSE. Dont know how many times I have to say that.

Is it common sense for a girl to not go a frat party dressed like a whore?

memyselfI
06-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Oh gee, what a shock. Mememe taking pleasure in someone else's pain.

I'm wondering if this will read as hysterically when my margaritas wear off.

Buck
06-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Is it common sense for a girl to not go a frat party dressed like a whore?

Sure, but are you saying that girls wouldn't get raped if they weren't dressed slutty? I think it really relies on them being alone and easily kidnappable, not how they are dressed.

The clothes don't cause the rape, the board didn't cause the spoiler, you did.

Pants
06-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Sure, but are you saying that girls wouldn't get raped if they weren't dressed slutty? I think it really relies on them being alone and easily kidnappable, not how they are dressed.

Buck, there's was absolutely no reason for THAT post in THIS thread. Seriously.

loochy
I see it more like this: walking through the ghetto at night.

You know its not a good idea to go there but the chances are pretty good you'll get mugged. It's not totally your fault someone tried to mug you, but WTF did you expect?

'Hamas' Jenkins
What a completely vapid analogy.

Life isn't a syllogism.

Donger
I'm wondering if this will read as hysterically when my margaritas wear off.

I doubt it.

Donger
06-23-2010, 03:03 PM

Really? I wrote the result of the match? Gee, I could have sworn that mememe did that.

Donger
06-23-2010, 03:04 PM
What a completely vapid analogy.

Life isn't a syllogism.

Thanks for your input, Johnny.

Buck
06-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Buck, there's was absolutely no reason for THAT post in THIS thread. Seriously.

Agreed 100%.

What I'm arguing is that you should have known there was a chance that it would have been and avoided it all together. I said so in my very first post in this thread. I've been arguing the same thing all along.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks for your input, Johnny.

Weep some more like the festering anal carbuncle you are.

Donger
06-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Weep some more like the festering anal carbuncle you are.

Wait, is that like a bag of dog shit, Johnny?

Buck
06-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Can a mod change the name of this thread to "Disigerence"?

'Hamas' Jenkins
Common sense time:

If you don't want to know something about a current event, stay the fuck off the internet, especially message boards, social networking sites, news sites, or sports sites.

Pants
Agreed 100%.

What I'm arguing is that you should have known there was a chance that it would have been and avoided it all together. I said so in my very first post in this thread. I've been arguing the same thing all along.

I know you did. Turns out it was a good call. I didn't think anyone would be ignorant enough to do it, but you are wiser than me. I should have heeded your warning.

Donger
Agreed 100%.

No one is suggesting otherwise, and I take full responsibility for MY f*ck up. Now, if the festering c*nt in question had just done the same, this discussion would not be happening.

Pants
06-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Common sense time:

If you don't want to know something about a current event, stay the **** off the internet, especially message boards, social networking sites, news sites, or sports sites.

There was a sufficient enough sample size of posts since June 11th to consider this place as a safe haven from World Cup spoilers. Obviously the chance is always there, I was willing to take the risk and paid the price. I can't really blame BL, though. What meme did was shitty as hell, though.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Wait, is that like a bag of dog shit, Johnny?

No, that would be closer to the state of your existence, where the only emotions you can display are greed and disgust.

Still, seeing a soulless fuck get this bent out of shape over the result of soccer match is the highest of comedy.

So cry some more, I'm sure Kleenex has a petrol infused tissue to make you feel at home.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-23-2010, 03:10 PM
There was a sufficient enough sample size of posts since June 11th to consider this place as a safe haven from World Cup spoiler. Along came meme...

A match deciding the team's fate in the tournament and a website with a history of moronic thread starting and reposts.

Sounds like a recipe for success to me.

memyselfI
06-23-2010, 03:10 PM
No one is suggesting otherwise, and I take full responsibility for MY f*ck up. Now, if the festering c*nt in question had just done the same, this discussion would not be happening.

I'd understand this rage if I told HOW the game was won. But I digress. I wouldn't do THAT to you...even if I had been drinking. Which I had. :D

Uh-oh, Chris Matthews just mentioned it on Hardball. Isn't that a show about politics? :doh!:

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-23-2010, 03:12 PM
I'd understand this rage if I told HOW the game was won. But I digress. I wouldn't do THAT to you. :D

You're still an asshole for posting that information in an unrelated thread.

Donger
06-23-2010, 03:12 PM
No, that would be closer to the state of your existence, where the only emotions you can display are greed and disgust.

Still, seeing a soulless **** get this bent out of shape over the result of soccer match is the highest of comedy.

So cry some more, I'm sure Kleenex has a petrol infused tissue to make you feel at home.

Heh. If any of that was intended to insult me in any way, your aim is about as accurate as your decency.

Donger
06-23-2010, 03:13 PM
I'd understand this rage if I told HOW the game was won. But I digress. I wouldn't do THAT to you...even if I had been drinking. Which I had. :D

Rage? I'm not in a rage. I'm disappointed that some c*nt would spoil a result for others just to satiate her e-masturbation needs, but I'm not in a rage at all.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Heh. If any of that was intended to insult me in any way, your aim is about as accurate as your decency.

And your ability to deflect is about as good as your sense.

This isn't 1997. This is how the net works. You should know this.

memyselfI
You're still an asshole for posting that information in an unrelated thread.

We got back from a lunch celebrating the _______ and I was stunned to see these poor dudes still banging a ball back and forth. There was no intent to make anyone cry.

Buck
I flagged this thread and asked the mod to close it to avoid anyone else from getting spoiled.

memyselfI
Rage? I'm not in a rage. I'm disappointed that some c*nt would spoil a result for others just to satiate her e-masturbation needs, but I'm not in a rage at all.

Well that is passive aggressive. ROFL

Pants
06-23-2010, 03:15 PM
I flagged this thread and asked the mod to close it to avoid anyone else from getting spoiled.

Good looking out.

Donger
06-23-2010, 03:15 PM
And your ability to deflect is about as good as your sense.

This isn't 1997. This is how the net works. You should know this.

If the Lounge were replete with others giving the result, I would tend to agree with you, Johnny. Since it is not, well, I don't.

memyselfI
06-23-2010, 03:17 PM

Good call.

Also, I'm glad I didn't change my avatar as I had planned. Guess it's Ali for a bit longer. :D

Donger
06-23-2010, 03:20 PM

Huh? Why would you do that? It would just be their fault for coming in here, right? If they chose to get on the Interweb, so be it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-23-2010, 03:22 PM
FWIW, there are two other threads outside of this one mentioning Landon Donovan and US Soccer today that aren't the WC thread.

Phobia
06-23-2010, 03:24 PM
I've always found arguing with Denise to be an extremely productive portion of my day. I mean, I'm a slow learner but I figured it out after 4 or 5 years.

Detoxing
06-23-2010, 03:25 PM
ROFL.

Good thing I didn't start a thread about our win w/ a video. I really was going to do that in celebration. Not sure why i didn't...musta got busy or something...

Kinda like a Pro-USA thread for those non-soccer fans, ya know? Lol, good to see that wouldn't have gone over well.

Donger
06-23-2010, 03:26 PM
FWIW, there are two other threads outside of this one mentioning Landon Donovan and US Soccer today that aren't the WC thread.

Really? Do they mention the result by chance?

memyselfI
06-23-2010, 03:26 PM
I've always found arguing with Denise to be an extremely productive portion of my day. I mean, I'm a slow learner but I figured it out after 4 or 5 years.

I'm not arguing. I'm the perpetrator. The victims are pleading for empathy and understanding. Apparently they've suffered akin to a rape victim. Seriously, you have to read it to believe it.

memyselfI
06-23-2010, 03:27 PM

Uh-oh, gang rape. Shame, shame, shame!!!!

Donger
06-23-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm not arguing. I'm the perpetrator. The victims are pleading for empathy and understanding. Apparently they've suffered akin to a rape victim. Seriously, you have to read it to believe it.

So, do you assign any blame to a girl who gets raped because she wore slutty clothing?

memyselfI
06-23-2010, 03:29 PM
So, do you assign any blame to a girl who gets raped because she wore slutty clothing?

The analogy is so ridiculous that I am not addressing it with you on this thread or any relating a situation like that to a soccer game score.

But continue on.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Really? Do they mention the result by chance?

One would have to be in a vegetative state not to infer the result.

Again, that's where the common sense part comes in.

Donger
06-23-2010, 03:32 PM
The analogy is so ridiculous that I am not addressing it with you on this thread or any relating a situation like that to a soccer game score.

But continue on.

That's because you are a pussy.

Pants
06-23-2010, 03:32 PM

But continue on.

Nobody is trying to compare rape to a ruined game and you know this. You really are a shitty human being.

Donger
06-23-2010, 03:33 PM
One would have to be in a vegetative state not to infer the result.

Again, that's where the common sense part comes in.

Mentioning Donovan infers a result? Perhaps you could post the pertinent posts and we can see if a result could be inferred or not?

memyselfI
06-23-2010, 03:34 PM
That's because you are a pussy.

No, it's because I' content to watch you continue to make an ass out of yourself using a ridiculous argument. Can you pause for a second. I need to run and grab a drink?

Buck
06-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Mentioning Donovan infers a result? Perhaps you could post the pertinent posts and we can see if a result could be inferred or not?

In the Herolympics thread I mentioned that if you added Donovan to the pool of contestants, he would win the contest.

Donger
06-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Nobody is trying to compare rape to a ruined game and you know this. You really are a shitty human being.

Indeed. I guarantee you that mememe would assign NO blame to the female dressed like a slut getting raped.

Donger
06-23-2010, 03:36 PM
In the Herolympics thread I mentioned that if you added Donovan to the pool of contestants, he would win the contest.

Did you say why?

Detoxing
06-23-2010, 03:37 PM

And I had mentioned Donovan slaying Algeria in the "I was right about Clausen" thread.

Detoxing
06-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Did you say why?

Does he really have to? His mentioning of a soccer player being a Hero, on the day of a HUGE US world cup game wouldn't infer something? C'mon now....

Buck
06-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Did you say why?

No, but I posted it right after he scored the goal and I was fucking excited.

I'm not saying that her posting that was ok, it was stupid, so was mine I guess, but then again I'm not the one who expects people I don't know on an internet message board to keep everything perfect for me.

Ehh whatever, I'm over it. I've given a little and so have you.

memyselfI
06-23-2010, 03:40 PM
And I had mentioned Donovan slaying Algeria in the "I was right about Clausen" thread.

We won the group for the first time in 80 years and we are supposed to tip toe around the internet so non-Americans can not be spoiled????

FUGG That!!!!

Pants
06-23-2010, 03:42 PM
We won the group for the first time in 80 years and we are supposed to tip toe around the internet so non-Americans can not be spoiled????

FUGG That!!!!

LMAO

Did Iran make it to the tournament? I wasn't aware.

memyselfI
06-23-2010, 03:44 PM
LMAO

Did Iran make it to the tournament? I wasn't aware.

USA, USA, USA!!!!

Donger
06-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Does he really have to? His mentioning of a soccer player being a Hero, on the day of a HUGE US world cup game wouldn't infer something? C'mon now....

Inferring is different than stating. That's why they are two different words.

And, I would say that you shouldn't have done that either. But it isn't the same offense.

Donger
06-23-2010, 03:47 PM
No, but I posted it right after he scored the goal and I was ****ing excited.

I'm not saying that her posting that was ok, it was stupid, so was mine I guess, but then again I'm not the one who expects people I don't know on an internet message board to keep everything perfect for me.

It wasn't stupid. It was calculated. She enjoys it.

Donger
06-23-2010, 03:47 PM

FUGG That!!!!

Non-Americans?

Detoxing
06-23-2010, 03:48 PM
No, but I posted it right after he scored the goal and I was ****ing excited.

I don't see how your post was stupid. This is CP.

Anyone who follows WC was excited. Hell, even Americans who dont follow WC were excited.

Buck
06-23-2010, 03:48 PM
It wasn't stupid. It was calculated. She enjoys it.

Theres a way to ignore specific people's posts, you know this right?

Detoxing
06-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Inferring is different than stating. That's why they are two different words.

And, I would say that you shouldn't have done that either. But it isn't the same offense.

But why? How am I suppose to know that you are trying to not see the score? Am I suppose to be able to read your mind or something?

Those who watched/listened to the game were incredibly excited. I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more posts about it.

No one knew that you were trying to avoid the game. Maybe memyselfI did, but I, nor did Buck have any clue.

Donger
06-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Theres a way to ignore specific people's posts, you know this right?

Yes, I do.

Donger
06-23-2010, 03:53 PM
But why? How am I suppose to know that you are trying to not see the score? Am I suppose to be able to read your mind or something?

Those who watched/listened to the game were incredibly excited. I'm actually surprised there haven't been more posts about it.

No one new that you were trying to avoid the game. Maybe memyselfI did, but I, nor did Buck have any clue.

Decency. Perhaps you should have considered that there are others who weren't able to watch the match live and were looking forward to doing so later. No, you didn't know, but perhaps you should presume sometimes.

Detoxing
06-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Decency. Perhaps you should have considered that there are others who weren't able to watch the match live and were looking forward to doing so later. No, you didn't know, but perhaps you should presume sometimes.

Seriously?

This is CP, dude. It's a sports message board. Should we avoid posting the scores of football games as well?

I assumed that if you were interested in the WC, then you probably watched it or listened to it. It was a pretty big game. Most of America who cares about the WC found a way to view it.

Why should i have to assume that you care?

Donger
06-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Seriously?

This is CP, dude. It's a sports message board. Should we avoid posting the scores of football games as well?

I assumed that if you were interested in the WC, then you probably watched it or listened to it. It was a pretty big game. Most of America who cares about the WC found a way to view it.

Why should i have to assume that you care?

I wasn't able to watch it or listen to it live. I was with clients.

It's up to you to decide whether or not you care about others' cares.

Johnny Vegas
06-23-2010, 04:04 PM
you know...if it wasn't for 9/11 everyone wouldn't be so damn sensitive...

ArrowheadHawk
06-23-2010, 04:09 PM
So how about that tennis match?

Detoxing
06-23-2010, 04:09 PM
I wasn't able to watch it or listen to it live. I was with clients.

It's up to you to decide whether or not you care about others' cares.

I said why should I Assume that YOU care?

Had I known, I wouldn't tell you. I hate spoilers. But to think that no one will post about it on a sports message board, especially CP, because someone might be holding out the entire day to go home and watch it is asking for a bit much, don't you think?

You coulda just gone into the WC forum and requested that no one mention the results. Im sure everyone would oblige, except for maybe MemyselfI if she really was just being a cunt.

Bugeater
06-23-2010, 04:11 PM
So how about that tennis match?
:spock: There was a tennis match?

Detoxing
06-23-2010, 04:12 PM
:spock: There was a tennis match?

So they're going to carry on the next day? Fuck that. They shoulda let 'em play..even in the dark.

Donger
06-23-2010, 04:26 PM

Had I known, I wouldn't tell you. I hate spoilers. But to think that no one will post about it on a sports message board, especially CP, because someone might be holding out the entire day to go home and watch it is asking for a bit much, don't you think?

You coulda just gone into the WC forum and requested that no one mention the results. Im sure everyone would oblige, except for maybe MemyselfI if she really was just being a ****.

By posting that inference, you assumed that NO ONE here cared.

memyselfI
06-23-2010, 04:48 PM

You coulda just gone into the WC forum and requested that no one mention the results. Im sure everyone would oblige, except for maybe MemyselfI if she really was just being a ****.

There are approx. 1,802,330,457 people who use the internet. We are supposed to assume that any time any one of them might not be watching something and therefore we should not discuss it lest we ruin their experience.

How would anyone be able to talk about anything?

DBOSHO
06-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Common sense says stay off of the internet if you dont want the results spoiled.

Much less a message board

much less a sports message board

MahiMike
06-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Pretty incredible. Broke several records. Lotsa stuff happening i sports today; tennis, World cup, CWS...

tk13
06-23-2010, 06:39 PM
I have to say... after thinking about it. This event might truly be the most mind boggling thing ever to happen in sports. I think that would make a good poll... but I don't even know what you could compare to this. Even getting to 20 is absurd, this thing is at 59. At Wimbledon. This would be like a NFL playoff game going 10 OT's. I think... it's so absurd to think about it doesn't even seem real.

Phobia
06-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Please do not post about the conclusion of this event tomorrow until I've had a chance to watch it.

Fruit Ninja
06-23-2010, 06:54 PM
I have to say... after thinking about it. This event might truly be the most mind boggling thing ever to happen in sports. I think that would make a good poll... but I don't even know what you could compare to this. Even getting to 20 is absurd, this thing is at 59. At Wimbledon. This would be like a NFL playoff game going 10 OT's. I think... it's so absurd to think about it doesn't even seem real.

7 hour tennis match? if that shit isnt the most insane thing to happen i dont know what the fuck is. That was truley epic and i wish i would have known about it to watch it.

Thats just freaking insane it went as far as it did and its not done.

Buck
06-23-2010, 06:57 PM
7 hour tennis match? if that shit isnt the most insane thing to happen i dont know what the fuck is. That was truley epic and i wish i would have known about it to watch it.

Its already over 9 hours.

Phobia
06-23-2010, 06:58 PM
7 hour tennis match? if that shit isnt the most insane thing to happen i dont know what the **** is. That was truley epic and i wish i would have known about it to watch it.

It was 7 hours at 64 games. It went 118 before they suspended it. Those guys won't be able to walk tomorrow. The first one to fall down loses.

Fruit Ninja
06-23-2010, 07:00 PM
It was 7 hours at 64 games. It went 118 before they suspended it. Those guys won't be able to walk tomorrow. The first one to fall down loses.

if that isnt the most amazing thing that has happened in sports, please tell me what is. Not for a series, for just 1 game, 1 match. I just dont see anything that epic. EVER.

Phobia
06-23-2010, 07:02 PM
if that isnt the most amazing thing that has happened in sports, please tell me what is. Not for a series, for just 1 game, 1 match. I just dont see anything that epic. EVER.

Chiefs Dolphins game is a joke by comparison. It's not even in the ballpark.

Donger
06-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Oh, I'd argue that the Tour de France rivals this, annually.

Stinger
06-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Oh, I'd argue that the Tour de France rivals this, annually.

So if two people finish a stage at the same time they make only those two keep riding until one wins? Not sure I follow you here.

Buck
06-23-2010, 07:09 PM
So if two people finish a stage at the same time they make only those two keep riding until one wins? Not sure I follow you here.

I think he meant that the contestants often are out there for over 9 hours at a time.

Stinger
06-23-2010, 07:14 PM
I think he meant that the contestants often are out there for over 9 hours at a time.

Got it ... brain not functioning about now .... By the way did you hear about the soccer game today............ :D

Donger
06-23-2010, 07:19 PM

The issue seems to be endurance. If that is correct, take a peek at the Tour. Over 2,000 miles in 21 days.

tk13
06-23-2010, 07:42 PM
I didn't mean endurance-wise, I meant on an improbability scale. I think there are lots of things we could talk about from an endurance standpoint. But in terms of a tennis match where a single set lasts 7 hours and is tied at 59. It has to be astronomically far out there. Yeah there's endurance... and it's not sudden death but there's kind of that aspect to it... they have been going back and forth teetering on the edge of a win/loss for about 6 hours.

It'd be like 9 or 10 OT in football. Or a baseball game that goes 45 innings with several ties. I think... I don't really know what you could compare it to in sports history.

Bearcat
06-23-2010, 09:29 PM
The longest match ever in the history of tennis: The previous record, in terms of elapsed time, belonged to Fabrice Santoro and Arnaud Clement in the 2004 French Open. Santoro finally prevailed after 6 hours, 33 minutes. For context (which might not be possible -- or advisable), consider that the fifth set alone of Isner-Mahut broke the old record by a wide margin.

The longest set in tennis history: The previous Wimbledon record was 20-18, belonging to Mark Philippoussis and Sjeng Schalken in a third-round match in 2000. This has broken that by 80 games.

The longest previous singles match at Wimbledon was 21 years ago, when Greg Holmes beat fellow American Todd Witsken 14-12 in the fifth set in 5 hours and 28 minutes. The longest doubles match was 6 hours and 9 minutes.

Based on the 20-18 and the longest baseball game being 25 innings, 59-59 is like a 75 inning baseball game that's still going. CFB had a 7OT game (I think), so if you want to be geeky about it, there was 38 sets in the previous longest set ever to CFB's 11 quarters.... so 118 sets would be 34 quarters, or 30 OTs.... absurd.

Rain Man
06-23-2010, 10:30 PM
That's absolutely astounding. I bet whoever faces the winner in the next round is pretty happy right now.

Rain Man
06-23-2010, 10:35 PM
So what's the actual score? Are they still in the first set? I just keep seeing that it's 59-59, but I'm not seeing the score by set.

DBOSHO
06-23-2010, 10:42 PM
So what's the actual score? Are they still in the first set? I just keep seeing that it's 59-59, but I'm not seeing the score by set.

Its 59-59 in the fifth set. Both are serving so well, or rather, returning serve so poorly that most likely whoever gets broken first will lose.

People thought 16-14 in the 5th last year in the final was crazy. But to play almost 10 sets in ONE SET? Its just astronomically unbelievable.

Its like a baseball game going into 80 innings.

Even if you dont care or respect the sport of tennis, you have to respect that whats happening in this match has never happened and will never happen ever again, and you have to applaud the effort by isner and mahut. They both know that if they win, they will get beat down hard in the next round, but neither player will give an inch.

That is special.

DBOSHO
06-23-2010, 10:43 PM
I absolutely LOVE tennis, and i cant imagine playing it for 9+ hours In one day.

I cant imagine playing videogames for 9 hours, and that takes no physical stamina.

Phobia
06-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Even if you dont care or respect the sport of tennis, you have to respect that whats happening in this match has never happened and will never happen ever again, and you have to applaud the effort by isner and mahut.

This is what I've been trying to say but I'm not nearly this eloquent.

Rain Man
06-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Its 59-59 in the fifth set. Both are serving so well, or rather, returning serve so poorly that most likely whoever gets broken first will lose.

What were the scores of the first four sets? I can't find that anywhere, though granted this is the first time I've ever tried to look up a tennis score so I'm starting without any resources.

DBOSHO
06-23-2010, 11:06 PM
What were the scores of the first four sets? I can't find that anywhere, though granted this is the first time I've ever tried to look up a tennis score so I'm starting without any resources.

isner 6 3 6 7
mahut 4 6 7 6

So its still a pretty long match without the 5th set.

Stinger
06-23-2010, 11:07 PM

Mahut 4 6 7 6 55
Iisner 6 3 6 7 56

Normally you would play a tie-breaker in the 5th set but Wimbledon Tournament doesn't do that. You must win by 2 games in the 5th set.

Guru
06-23-2010, 11:09 PM
I'm still pissed that Federerereerererer won his first match after being down 2 sets.

DBOSHO
06-23-2010, 11:09 PM
This is what I've been trying to say but I'm not nearly this eloquent.

Lol i pulled that out of my ass didnt i?

I have an interview for espn in the morning :D

DBOSHO
06-23-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm still pissed that Federerereerererer won his first match after being down 2 sets.

It wont matter. With his current form, he will be out before the semis anyway.
Although, i would like him to meet nadal in the finals so nadal could show him who the real reigning wimbledon champ is

Guru
06-23-2010, 11:12 PM
4-6, 6-3, 7-6(9-7) 6-7(3-7), 59-59.

Seriously!!!!! HOLY CRAP!!!

Guru
06-23-2010, 11:15 PM
What time will the match start back up in Central time?

DBOSHO
06-23-2010, 11:18 PM
What time will the match start back up in Central time?

Im not sure but coverage on espn2 starts here in excelsior springs at 6am, which i believe is 3:30 pm in london, so id imagine not long after that

Guru
06-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Im not sure but coverage on espn2 starts here in excelsior springs at 6am, which i believe is 3:30 pm in london, so id imagine not long after thatLondon is only 6 hours ahead of us.

DBOSHO
06-23-2010, 11:36 PM
London is only 6 hours ahead of us.

my bad. Forgot what time espn said. I know they mentioned 330 in london at one point

Guru
06-23-2010, 11:41 PM
my bad. Forgot what time espn said. I know they mentioned 330 in london at one pointYeah, I just did some digging on Wimbledon.com and it will start no earlier than 3:30pm London time so it will be 9:30am or later here. Guess I will have to miss it after all.

tk13
06-23-2010, 11:44 PM
Yeah, I just did some digging on Wimbledon.com and it will start no earlier than 3:30pm London time so it will be 9:30am or later here. Guess I will have to miss it after all.

Well if they can make it another 10 hours or so you might be able to catch the end.

Reaper16
06-23-2010, 11:54 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jun/23/wimbledon-2010-tennis-live

This is the best sports live blog I've ever read. Every word of it is worth your time. Check out this brilliance:

4.05pm: The Isner-Mahut battle is a bizarre mix of the gripping and the deadly dull. It's tennis's equivalent of Waiting For Godot, in which two lowly journeymen comedians are forced to remain on an outside court until hell freezes over and the sun falls from the sky. Isner and Mahut are dying a thousand deaths out there on Court 18 and yet nobody cares, because they're watching the football. So the players stand out on their baseline and belt aces past each-other in a fifth set that has already crawled past two hours. They are now tied at 18-games apiece.

On and on they go. Soon they will sprout beards and their hair will grow down their backs, and their tennis whites will yellow and then rot off their bodies. And still they will stand out there on Court 18, belting aces and listening as the umpire calls the score. Finally, I suppose, one of them will die.

Ooh, I can see the football out of the corner of my eye. England still 1-0 up!
<!-- Block 19 -->
4.25pm: None of the other news means a thing to the Everlasting Zombie Tennis Players on Court 18. They hear nothing but the thud of the ball off their racket and the sonorous tones of their Zombie Umpire. They can think of nothing beyond their next trudge to the chair for a short sit down before the ordeal begins again anew. They have forgotten all about Wimbledon and the world beyond the backstop.

John Isner's serving arm has fallen off. Nicolas Mahut's head is loose and rolling bonelessly on his neck. And yet still they play on. The score is now 21-21 in the fifth and final set. This is now, officially, the longest final set in Wimbledon history.
<!-- Block 20 -->
4.45pm: It's ace number 62 for John Isner in the Never-Ending Story of Court 18, a tournament record. But, incredibly, Mahut seems to be coming back at him. He forges his way to the first deuce of the set thanks to a backhand lob that somehow gets over the head of the American, who stands six-foot-nine in his stockinged feet. Both men, as has been established, are now dead on their feet, although the Frenchman looks the marginally less rotten (a few less worms wriggling from his eye sockets).
Naturally Isner holds on, He staggers, sightless, to the net and scrapes off a desperate drop volley for a winner. The American now leads 24-23. But inevitably we are still on serve.

"No!" screams a gang of reporters. "Nooo!" I think that they are lamenting the match, but of course they are lamenting the football. On the other side of the world, Slovenia just came close to scoring.
<!-- Block 21 -->
4.50pm: It's over. It's finally over. It was a long, hard match and it took its toll on the players. But finally, at long last, we have a result.
I'm actually talking about the football here. England win 1-0 against Slovenia to go through to the knock-out stage. The Isner-Mahut match is still ongoing: 24-24 in the final set. Isner's leg has just dropped off.
<!-- Block 22 -->
5.05pm: In the world beyond Court 18, the Wimbledon matches are won and lost. There are victories for Feliciano Lopez and Nadia Petrova, Venus Williams andGael Monfils. On Court 18 it is very different. On Court 18 a match is not won and lost; it is just played out infinitely, deeper and deeper into a fifth and final set as the numbers rack up and the terrain turns uncharted. Under the feet of John Isner and Nicolas Mahut, the grass is growing. Before long they will be playing in a jungle and when they sit down at the change of ends, a crocodile will come to menace them. They are poised at 25 games apiece in a deciding set that is now nudging three hours.

I don't know who's going to win this one. Mahut looks slightly more alert and industrious, but Isner (flat-footed, grey about the gills) has a thunderous serve to fall back on. Time and again he falls back on it. Time and again it gets him out of trouble. It keeps thumping against the turf and splatting against the backstop. Mahut is now serving to stay in the match at 25-26.
<!-- Block 23 -->
5.25pm: Isner and Mahut are currently level at 28 games apiece in what people are now telling me is the longest match in Wimbledon history. Over on Court 14, Thiemo De Bakker and Santiago Giraldo are locked at 14-14.
This suggests that the curse of Court 18 has started to infect the other courts too. What happens if they just keep going? What happens if, from here on in, every single match at Wimbledon heads into a decider and then decides to stay there, with neither player ever reaching an advantage; with the scoreline simply sailing off the map and into the wide blue yonder? Do the stewards lock the gates and make us stay? I've been chuckling over the nightmarish experience of Isner and Mahut, little realising that it has implications for the rest of us as well. We are all involved - going round and round, round and round. Wake me up when the scoreline goes into triple figures.
<!-- Block 24 -->
5.30pm: Phew, the Wimbledon Zombie Pandemic has been contained. Thiemo De Bakker comes through 16-14 in the final set of his match against Santiago Giraldo. He will now play (hysterical laughter) the winner of the match between John Isner and Nicolas Mahut. Needless to say, it's still going on: 30-30 in the final set

In other news, Roger Federer has taken the first set 6-3 from qualifier Ilija Bozoljac. I pine for the days when a set came that easy.
<!-- Block 25 -->
5.45pm: False dawns and shimmering mirages out on the jungle Congo of Court 18. For a moment there, I thought Isner was cracking. The man can barely move his feet any more and Mahut still has some bounce, lashing a backhand return for a clean winner.

But what John Isner still has is his serve. It is a brutal serve, heavy and reliable. He totters to the baseline, fires some aces and goes ahead 32-31, leaving Mahut to serve to stay in the match for what I am reliably informed is the 2,362nd time. This he duly does and so we go merrily on through the jungle. The score stands at 32-games apiece; the clock at six hours and thirty-odd minutes. It is now the longest match in Grand Slam history.
<!-- Block 26 -->5.55pm: Is it a dream, a lie, or is John Isner really about to triumph in the longest match in tennis history? The American flicks a backhand return up the line to reach 15-40, with two match points. But then Mahut finds the line with a forehand and hastens in to tap away a terrified volley. Incredibly, he saves the second match point too and then pulls level once more: 33-33 in the final set.

So yes, it was a dream, it was a lie. The Amazing Zombie Tennis Pros are not through with us yet. Ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha!
<!-- Block 28 -->
6pm: The score stands at 34-34. In order to stay upright and keep their strength, John Isner and Nicolas Mahut have now started eating members of the audience. They trudge back to the baseline, gnawing on thigh-bones and sucking intestines. They have decided that they will stay on Court 18 until every spectator is eaten. Only then, they say, will they consider ending their contest.
<!-- Block 29 -->
6.10pm: Let us pause for a brief detour to the land of the living. Roger Federer's travails continue: the reigning champion has just dropped the second set on a tiebreak to the qualifier Ilija Bozoljac. Over on Centre, third seed Novak Djokovic has bagged the first set (again on a tie-break) from Taylor Dent. All of these four players are alive. Their blood runs warm and their eyes are bright. They have nothing - nothing! - in common with the two shuffling, shambling ruins that are currently hitting aces and eating spectators in an ongoing horror show on Court 18. Latest update from the abattoir: 35 games each.
<!-- Block 30 -->
6.25pm: The scoreboard is barely visible through the grass and weeds and trails of Spanish moss. It shows that John Isner and Nicolas Mahut are locked at 37 games each in the final set.

I'm wondering if maybe an angel will come and set them free. Is this too much to ask? Just one slender angel, with white wings and a wise smile, to tell them that's it's all right, they have suffered enough and that they are now being recalled. The angel could hug them and kiss their brows and invite them to lay their rackets gently on the grass. And then they could all ascend to heaven together. John Isner, Nicolas Mahut and the kind angel that saved them.
<!-- Block 31 -->
6.35pm: News from Nightmare Country: the Zombie Umpire has lost his voice and now calls the score in the croak of a crone. Zombie Mahut double faults to allow Zombie Isner a glimmer of hope at deuce. It is merely a glimmer. Mahut comes through and we stand at 39-all.
<!-- Block 32 -->
6.48pm: The sun is sinking and the court is a blur. It is at this stage that Zombie Isner starts to look like Zombie Mahut and the Zombie Umpire stops croaking and starts to chirrup like a grasshopper. In other words, we're here but we're gone. Is anyone still alive up in the stands or have they now all been eaten? It's 40-40. And that's games, not points
Still no sign of that angel either, the one that swore blind that she would come down and spirit the players off to Disneyland Paris where they could ride the Thunder Mountain rollercoaster forever and ever amen. I'm now starting to wonder if she really exists.
<!-- Block 33 -->
7pm: The umpire climbs down from his chair and starts mildly slapping the net cord with his right hand. No one knows why. John Isner winds up for a backhand and misses the ball entirely. No one knows why.
What's going on here? Once, long ago, I think that this was a tennis match. I believe it was part of a wider tennis tournament, somewhere in south-west London, and the winner of this match would then go on to face the winner of another match and, if he won that, the winner of another match. And so on until he reached the final and, fingers crossed, he won the title.

That, at least, is what this spectacle on Court 18 used to be; what it started out as. It's not that anymore and hasn't been for a few hours now. I'm not quite sure what it is, but it is long and it's horrifying and it's very long to boot. Is it death? I think it might be death.
42 games all.
<!-- Block 34 -->
7.10pm: It's 43-43 and John Isner is serving to make it 44-43, after which Nicolas Mahut will serve to make it 44-44. I'm indebted to the commenter who explained that Nicolas Mahut recently knocked the sensor of the net and that this is why the umpire climbed down off his chair and started slapping the cord with his hand, with his mouth hanging open and vomit all down the front of his shirt. For a moment I had hoped the slapping might have been his way of summoning the angel we've all been talking about, the one that will come down and usher the contestants up to their Eternal Rest. But no. Turns out it was just something to do with the net sensor.
Isner moves to 44-43. Mahut now serving to make it 44-44. Fingers crossed he makes it!
<!-- Block 35 -->
7.20pm: And so this match goes on and on, on and on. Somewhere along the way, the players have mislaid their names. The man who was once Mahut is now a string-bag of offal. The man who was Isner is a parched piece of cow-hide. The surviving members of the audience don't seem to care who wins. They just cheer and applaud whoever looks likely to make a breakthrough and bring this nightmare to a close. Invariably they are disappointed.

The offal looks fresher, possesses a piercing backhand and still throws itself about the court on occasion. But the cow-hide can serve and has the advantage of going ahead by one game and forcing the offal to catch-up. This the offal is only too happy to do. It hits a backhand down the line and then follows that up with an ace, and the score now stands at 45 games apiece.
<!-- Block 36 -->
7.30pm: Let it end, let it end, it's 46-all. It was funny when it was 16-all and it was creepy when it was 26-all. But this is pure purgatory and there is still no end in sight. John Isner has just struck his 90th ace. Nicolas Mahut, poor, enfeebled Nicolas Mahut, has only hit 72. Maybe we should just decide it on the number of aces struck? Give the game to Isner and then we can all crawl into our graves.
<!-- Block 37 -->
7.45pm: What happens if we steal their rackets? If we steal their rackets, the zombies can no longer hit their aces and thump their backhands and keep us all prisoner on Court 18. I'm shocked that this is only occurring to me now. Will nobody run onto the court and steal their rackets? Are they all too scared of the zombies' clutching claws and gore-stained teeth? Steal their rackets and we can all go home. Who's with me? Steal their rackets and then run for the tube.
It's 48-48. What further incentive do you need?
<!-- Block 38 -->
8pm: Don't look now but I think the cow-hide has officially expired. John Isner stands at the baseline. He is facing the right way but he is no longer moving and the string-bag of offal peppers him with aces left and right to bring the score to 50-50. But Cow Hide is still facing the right way and that says something. And he is still vertical, and that says something too. What it says, unfortunately, is that the match is not quite over yet.
<!-- Block 39 -->
8.05pm: In the stands, a woman is laughing. She laughs long and hard and her laugh is the sort of ghastly yodel you normally hear in antique horror movies about Victorian insane asylums. "Wa-la-ha-la-wah," she goes. "Wa-la-ha-la-ha-la!" Will nobody drag her out? Call in the goons in white coats. Get this woman to a lobotomy!

Mahut is serving to make it 51-51. Wouldn't you know it, he does. He makes it to 51-51, finishing up with an ace.
<!-- Block 40 -->
8.20pm: Wow, is that really the time? I must go home; can't think what's kept me. Wa-ha-la-ha-la-ha-la!

Oh yes, just remembered. The tennis. The tennis. Out there on Court 18, our two white-clad derelicts dig deep into the reserve tanks and remember to run again. They move along the baseline, coaxing the ball back and forth, back and forth until Mahut falls over. Is he ever going to get up? Astonishingly, he does. At game point, he pushes Isner into his backhand corner, staggers in to the net and dinks a drop volley. It's 53-53.
<!-- Block 41 -->
8.30pm: "John!" chants the crowd. "John! John! John!" They're either calling for Isner or calling for a bathroom break, or possibly both. I'm still not convinced they want Isner to win any more than they want Mahut to win. They just want someone to win; anyone to win. They just long to be released and to go back home. Possibly via the bathroom.
They are chanting "John!" because Isner gets to 0-30 on Mahut's serve and is therefore just two points from victory. Chant all you like, it won't change a thing. Mahut fights back and the score is tied again, at 54 games apiece.
<!-- Block 42 -->
8.40pm: It's 56 games all and darkness is falling. This, needless to say, is not a good development, because everybody knows that zombies like the dark. So far in this match they've been comparatively puny and manageable, only eating a few of the spectators in between bashing their serves.

But come night-fall the world is their oyster. They will play on, play on, right through until dawn. Perhaps they will even leave the court during the change-overs to munch on other people. Has Roger Federer left the grounds? Perhaps they will munch on him, hounding him down as he runs for his car, disembowelling him in the parking lot and leaving Wimbledon without its reigning champion. Maybe they will even eat the trophy too.
Growing darker, darker all the while.
<!-- Block 43 -->8.55pm: Yet again, Mahut wobbles on the brink of defeat. Yet again he steadies himself. One minute Isner has him at 30-30. The next he's through again and we're tied at 58 games apiece.

But wait! An official has stepped out on the court. Is it an official, or is it the angel? Is this endless, epic Battle of the Zombies finally going to be brought to a close?
<!-- Block 45 -->
8.59pm: No. It's not. At least not just yet. An exhausted Isner is serving to make it 59-58. An exhausted Mahut runs for a volley and falls flat on his face. An exhausted umpire calls the score in a dreadful, reedy croak. An exhausted Isner takes the game. It's 59-58.
<!-- Block 46 -->
9.10pm: Is it over? It is not over. For a brief moment back then, I thought it was over. Isner clambers to match point on Mahut's serve. Mahut steps forward and saves it with his 95th ace. It's 59-59.

Mahut wants to come off now; the light is almost gone. But the official orders the pair to play two more games. "We want more! We want more!" chant the survivors on Court 18. I'm taking this as proof that they have gone insane.
<!-- Block 47 -->
9.12pm: Mahut prevails! Mahut wins! This is not to say he wins the match, of course. Nobody is winning this match; not now and not ever. But he prevails in his complaint and his wish is granted. Play is suspended.
They will come back tomorrow and duke it out all over again. The scoreboard will be re-set at 0-0 first set and Isner and Mahut will take it from there.

OK, so they won't do that, exactly. Instead, they will pick it up where they left off, at 59-59 in the final set. Apparently the last set of this match has now lasted longer than any match in tennis history. Can this really be true? Nothing would surprise me anymore.
<!-- Block 48 -->
9.25pm: Last thoughts before I ring me a hearse. That was beyond tennis. I think it was even beyond survival, because there is a strong suggestion (soon to be confirmed by doctors) that John Isner actually expired at about the 20-20 mark, and Mahut went soon afterwards, and the remainder of the match was contested by Undead Zombies who ate the spectators during the change of ends (again, this is pending a police investigation).

Still, if you're going to watch a pair of zombies go at each other for eleventy-billion hours, far into the night, it might as well be these zombies. They were incredible, astonishing, indefatigable. They fell over frequently but they never stayed down. My hat goes off to these zombies. Possibly my head goes off to them too.

It's a crying shame that someone has to lose this match but hey-ho, that's tennis. The historic duel between John Isner and Nicolas Mahut will resume tomorrow and play out to its conclusion. Possibly. Maybe they'll just keep going into Friday and Saturday, Sunday and Monday; belting their aces and waiting for that angel to come and lead them home. As the woman in the stands might say, "Wa-ha-la-wa-ha-la-la-la!"

Thanks so much for sticking with me; for your comments and tweets and your emails too. It was very much appreciated. If you're going to liveblog a tennis match in Necropolis, it's reassuring to have someone there to hold your hand.

I'm off tomorrow, possibly lying in a ditch somewhere. But the legend that is Paolo Bandino will be here to cover the action. I'm back on Friday, by which time this contest will probably be into quadruple figures in the final set. We'll simply pick it up and take it from there.

Buck
06-24-2010, 03:10 AM
I would pretty much compare this to a 68 inning baseball game where no runs were scored in any of the last 59 innings, and the same pitchers have been in for both teams the last 59 innings.

blaise
06-24-2010, 05:18 AM
I would pretty much compare this to a 68 inning baseball game where no runs were scored in any of the last 59 innings, and the same pitchers have been in for both teams the last 59 innings.

That reminds me of a book called The Iowa Baseball Confederacy by WP Kinsella (the same guy that wrote the book Field of Dreams is based on). In the book the Cubs go play an amateur team from Iowa and the game goes over 2,000 innings.

memyselfI
06-24-2010, 05:38 AM
I really hate to see either of these guys lose but it would be a better story for Mahut coming in unranked and leaving a winner in the record books.

Stinger
06-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Mahut 4 6 7 6 65
Iisner 6 3 6 7 65

OK ..... Lets just call it ..... First one to 100 wins.

DBOSHO
06-24-2010, 09:24 AM
The match is back on on espn3.com

its 65 games all

DBOSHO
06-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Im predicting 77-75 mahut

DBOSHO
06-24-2010, 09:54 AM
The match is over

******spoiler******
.a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
A
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
isner wins 70-68

they greeted eachother with a hug. The wimbledon chairman(i believe) handed out special rewards to the chair umpire and both players.

memyselfI
06-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Poor loser. I really feel for him.

DaKCMan AP
06-24-2010, 10:31 AM
One of my friends is very good friends with Isner (Isner lives in Tampa). Happy for him!

Short Leash Hootie
06-24-2010, 04:58 PM
feel as if there was some sort of a conspiracy

like they got drunk together before the match and were like...lets just have a really long 5th set so everyone talks about us and so people care about tennis for a few minutes

Phobia
06-24-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks for ruining this you a-holes. I just got home from Texas and fired up the DVR to watch it.

tk13
06-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Yeah, take that Phobia. And you want to know something else, the US soccer team WON yesterday. That's right they won. Spoil that.

Guru
06-24-2010, 10:00 PM
The match is over

they greeted eachother with a hug. The wimbledon chairman(i believe) handed out special rewards to the chair umpire and both players.Why the hell does the chair umpire get a reward. He didn't do shit other than sit there.

Then again, he doesn't get a bathroom break does he? hmmmmmmROFL